Salut d'Amour

Printer-friendly version
Salut d'Amour
Lyrics by mittfh, tune by Edward Elgar
 
Lyrics copyright © 2011 Ben Norwood.

Creative Commons License  This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

Listening to Elgar's piece this morning, I thought it sounded very lyrical. Unable to find any sung versions other than this cute K-pop version, I hit upon the idea of writing a TG-themed set of lyrics to the tune. The first lyric came pretty quickly - I apologise for the second - there aren't many words that rhyme with "am"! Verse 2 was written during a quiet helpdesk session this afternoon, and the bridge this evening.

I've tried to keep as close to the tune as possible, although it does get a little tenuous at times (the tune's bridge deviates from uniformity towards the end, as does the final verse). Anyway, enough waffling, on with the lyrics...


Will you love me for the girl I am, my dear?
Accept that I'm a ewe and not a ram, my love?
Will you love me for the girl I am, my dear?
That is all I ask of you.

From before I had my first toy,
I knew I was a girl and not a boy.
Living as a girl would bring me joy, joy, joy.
Can't you see that's who I'm meant to be?

For e'er since the day, when I
First started school, I grew
Ever depressed by conforming to the rule

Oh, living the lie, forced to
Dress up as a boy, How I
Longed to be with the other girls, dear

Will you love me for the girl I am, my dear?
Accept that I'm a ewe and not a ram, my love?
Will you love me for the girl I am, my dear?
That is all I ask of you.

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One of my favorite composers....

Andrea Lena's picture

...united with a now favorite lyricist who is also a favorite person as well. When it comes to loving your work, EWE can count on me! Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you,

ALISON

'very clever! And as The Seekers used to sing,"There will never be another Ewe".

ALISON

Oh gawd...

The puns continue a-pace!

And all because "Ram" was about the only decent word I could think of to rhyme with "I am". So naturally, being lyrics with a TG twist, I had to mention the female equivalent.

Bam - don't think so.
Cam - can't see the relevance of a device to convert rotary motion into linear motion
Dam - we'd be getting even more metaphorical, besides which the second line's a bit early to be talking about breaking down dams!
Eam / Fam / Gam - not really words
Ham - No pigs as far as I can see!
Jam - Nor preserves!
Kam / Mam / Pam / Sam / Tam - possible names?
Lamb - Is the protagonist called Mary? :)
Nam / Oam / Qam / Uam / Vam / Xam / Zam - not real words AFAIK.
Wham - see Bam.
Yam - no sweet potatoes here either!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Salut d'Amour

Like the lyrics

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine