Switcheroo Issue 7

Printer-friendly version

Switcheroo
Issue 7

By Melanie E.

REEEEEAAAADD MMMEEEEEE!!!!!

-----

Chapter 14
Impotence

With a groan I sat up in my bed and immediately regretted it, the swimming of my head telling me to lay back down immediately -- an order I was all too willing to comply with.

"Nuh uh, now that you're awake you're getting up," Dia said, dialling up the lights in my room to "sun going supernova" and pulling a scream from my lips as I covered my eyes with my arm. "It's your own dumb fault, you know. You should have known better."

"Leame alone," I mumbled, wincing at the pain in my head as I turned over, burying my face in my pillow.

"Even supers can get hangovers. With how much you drank last night, I'm surprised you aren't crouched over the toilet already."

"Mebbeh when ah can feel mah legs aggin."

"...are you still drunk?"

"Ah wish."

This was why I had stopped drinking in college. I was always a real lightweight when it came to alcohol, and the effects were debilitating on me. Even a superhero's regenerative capabilities didn't seem to make a dent in it, though everything considered they were probably overloaded just keeping me from dying of alcohol poisoning.

But last night had warranted it.

I fought down a whimper as I rolled over, forcing myself to bear the light shining through my eyelids. "Did I do anything embarrassing last night?"

"Nothing worth posting to YouTube. I can show you the security cam footage later if you want."

"Urgh, no thanks."

"I'll save it for blackmail footage then. So, are you getting up or do I need to get Jacinda in here to throw you out of bed."

"No, I'm up."

....

"Being up means getting out of bed, which means opening your eyes."

"I'll open my eyes when the room decides to stop spinning."

"Not gonna happen. Get up, throw up, and get a move on. Mr. Stone is waiting for you."

Luckily I managed to avoid the second option as I hauled myself out of bed, though it was a close thing. Looking in the mirror of my bathroom gave me a shock, though.

"What the hell!?"

"It was Jami's doing. She's the one who put you to bed last night."

"And you let her?"

"I thought you looked good."

How I looked was not the issue I had, what I looked like was. At least the camisole and sleep shorts were in cream -- I think I would have passed out again if they had been pink.

"Where did she find girl's clothes in my size?"

"Well, you'll be needing them soon, so... I kinda have some ready?"

"And she just happened to know this because?"

"She helped pick them out."

"Ah."

I finally gave in and took the option to vomit.

"I will not kill Dia, I will not kill Dia, I will not kill Dia," I repeated to myself over and over until I finally started to believe it, and only then did I stand back up from the toilet to find her standing behind me with an apologetic expression.

"Sorry?"

I waved her off. Intellectually I knew it had to happen sooner or later, but unlike so many other things in my life I had hoped this was something I would have had some control over. With a sigh I cleaned myself up and stripped off, hoping a shower would remove the last of my dizziness.

Mr. Stone was less than pleased when I finally stumbled into his office looking about as well as I felt, though I was at least clean.

"I want you to understand one thing," he said, staring into my eyes. "Last night was the first and last time you will EVER get drunk so long as you are working within my organization. We're supposed to be heroes, and the last thing I need is for a member of my team to fuck something up because they felt like getting tipsy. DO YOU UNDERSTAND."

I flinched back from his anger, nodding furiously.

"Good," he said, calming himself as he lowered into the large chair behind his desk. "That said, I'm not going to punish you for last night. I would have gotten drunk too if I were in your position."

"That sonufabitch didn't even deny that she worked for him, and we couldn't do a damn thing."

Mr. Stone's glare returned, though this time I knew it wasn't directed at me. "I know. We need to fix that."

-

I felt my hackles raise as I watched the man before us, studying him even as he studied us. He was strong, that was obvious, and smart, I could tell by his eyes. But there was something else that had me even more on edge. He wasn't scared of any of us.

"Anubis McCree? So you're the one who owns this company then?"

The man smiled, though it never reached his eyes. "That I am, though this is more of a hobby really. I've made my money through independent investments; this is just my way of returning some of that good fortune to the people of the world."

Martial took the man's hand and shook it firmly before McCree returned to his seat behind the desk. "And how is it that I might help our resident superhero squad today?"

"We have a few questions we would like to ask you, if you will agree."

McCree nodded. "Absolutely. Anything to help our boys -- and girls," he said, looking at Totem and then me, "in spandex."

This man was too confident, and I wasn't the only one who had noticed. Nobody was this calm around us, not even the police who had escorted us up.

"Good," Martial said, stepping up to the desk and pulling a pair of photographs out of a pocket discreetly hidden in the chest of his suit. "What can you tell us about this woman?"

McCree looked at the photographs, that same damning smile never leaving his face. "Ah, you mean Daisy."

Daisy? Weaver's name was DAISY?

"She came in and applied for a position with my company about six months ago. I was reluctant to hire her at first, but I must say that since she has joined us she has provided us with some quite interesting technology. DiVa is one of her creations. Quite a wonder, wouldn't you agree?"

"That technology is stolen, and we have reason to believe she is responsible for the death of at least one member of our team."

McCree chuckled. "Really now? Daisy has never struck me as the killing type. As for the technology, I can assure you that everything needed to produce DiVa was manufactured in our own facilities, and is in the process of being patented as we speak. If the technology is stolen, then I believe that the creator is the only one with whom we would have an issue, and if he or she does not step forward I'm afraid there's nothing I will do to prevent our version from going into production."

I watched anxiously as Martial's eyes narrowed. "Nevertheless we would like to question her. If you can provide us with some way to contact her, we would be more than happy to let you return to your... business."

"Oh? Well, I'm truly sorry, but I'm afraid that, as you can see, our records are at the current time unavailable to me as my computer terminal is down for maintenance. Until they have it updated to itegrate with DiVa's systems, there really is not a terrible lot that I can provide you with, I do apologize." As he talked, I could see the expression on McCree's face shift. The smile was still there, but it was no longer the smile of a businessman conning his way through a meeting -- it had become something much darker, and I involuntarily shivered when he looked at me again. "Switcheroo, isn't it? I am glad to see that you have finally recovered from the incident a few months ago. I had heard you were dead, but that is obviously not true, isn't it?"

Still smiling, he stood up from his desk and bowed to our group. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm afraid I must bring this meeting to a close. I do apologize for being so little assistance. I trust you can find your way out?" As McCree talked he opened a drawer in his desk and pulled out a class and a bottle of scotch, pouring himself a double while never taking his eyes off our group.

I could see the tension in his body as Martial turned around stiffly. "Let's go," he said, heading toward the door.

-

"What's the matter?" Mr. Stone asked me as I sunk down into one of the chairs across from his desk, my legs suddenly going weak.

No. It couldn't be. Could it?

There had been something familiar about that Scotch. The bottle, the smell.

"Sir? I think I know where we can get more information on McCree, though I'm not sure how to get in contact with him."

"How?" Mr. Stone asked, but before I could answer, the bright blue telephone on his desk -- the MDSPF private line -- rang. "Hello? Who? Yes." With a cold expression he stood, and held the phone across the desk to me.

"Huh?"

"It's for you," he said, without expression. I took the phone nervously.

"Hello?"

"Ah, if it isn't our wonderful new Switcheroo," a voice I recognized said from the other end of the line.

My hand started to shake as I answered. "Hello, Horus."

-

NOTES:

So, whatcha think? Huh? HUH? Tell me!

Seriously, though, do I need more action? More buildup? More supers? More Dia? Give me a few suggestions here and there on how to improve things, so I know what people wanna read.

Writing for a web site like Big Closet isn't as dry and lacking of input as something like writing a novel on your own. I WANT people's opinions, not just blind praise, so that I can write a story that everyone will enjoy.

I've been more than happy with the numbers as far as comments so far, and I know I couldn't ask for a better audience, so now I need you to tell me what it is you want.

Thank you.

Melanie E.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Surprises

One surprise after another. However, shouldn't that wanted for questioning, be a warrant for attempted murder at the very least? Wasn't Switch shot in the head with witnesses? I don't know of any corporation that would dare openly harbor a fugitive. Frozen assets and the threats of audits by the IRS would be the least of their problems.

Hugs!
Grover

I would think so too

mind you, first they have to get a warrant, and that might not happen quickly. As for what I would like to see, I would like to see more of how she feels about being a girl during any "down time" when she isnt dealing with the superhero stuff.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Patenting

How secret is Dia? Could she be counted as prior art?

Meanwhile, things are getting very confusing with Anubis McCree preferring the same brand of scotch as the enigmatic Horus - probably one of his men, since they both share the names of Egyptian deities. Evidently Horus knew they'd be there at that time, given his phone call. All very mysterious...

Meanwhile, Dia's definitely falling into the substitute older sister role - at times a friend and confidente, at others "move yer ruddy arse!"
Give her a 'net connection, and she'd probably be able to do some digging herself - as well as placing copies of her program on numerous servers, so should the base fall victim to a power cut and the generators are killed at the same time, or the base has a DDoS attack, she can still be active, even if temporarily 'away' from the base.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Blaaaaaanant Paaaandering fooor Cooooomments!

Damn! Why didn't *I* think of that?

I *AM* impressed.

Hum, is Horus an insider at the business? A rival who has run afoul of Anubis and wants him gone -- IE he is helping the *good guys* on the theory of "the enemy of my enemy is my ally."

Is HE Anubis playing a deep game on Weaver or on the good guys?

Ominous what Anubis said. Sounds like his labs helped created the toxin that killed Switcheroo's sister and/or knows of the new Switcheroo being shot at point blank range in the head. He must know this Switcheroo is the former brother as Weaver was still unsuspected at the time he started to change from the power. Weaver DID know this was not the Switcheroo she killed, right?

And the same scotch? Brothers? He deposed Horus from the firm some time back and rubs it in by indulging in some of the pleasures Horus enjoyed? A psychotically split personality, IE Horus IS Anubis?

You know, it sounds stupid by why not just go and grab the bastard, torture for info then kill him? Raid then destroy his labs, assuming they can find them? Hard to resurrect him after the fact. And he can hardly sue over violations of his rights once dead. Justify it using some aspect of The Patriot Act? Something in the law about adding a foreign enemy AKA committing treason? Yeah yeh white hats and all that... POPPYCOCK. They were infiltraited and betrayed so the gloves are off.

Better yet have a copy of their AI infiltrate the crude copy then make it look like Anubis is selling out to the law in exchange for protection and immunity from prosecution. IE trick Weaver into killing him. Or trick him into using that toxin on Weaver to kill her thinking she is about to usurp him. Hum, is Weaver his lover, sister, former brother driven insane by her mutation?

Weaver's supposedly a mega genius but such people tend to be real strong in certain aspects of life but very weak in others. So what is Weaver weak on? What is an area of technical expertise or social interaction she is vulnerable in? Plus right now Anubis and Weaver are on a high, seeing how well their plans have succeeded so far. Even a mega genius has an ego and CAN make mistakes.

And where in the hell did Switcheroo get the booze for a hangover like that?

And what of his, nearly hers now, parents? And did he or his sister have other family, close friends? He, um she needs support, more than a AI can give her and friends/family are targets for the bad guys and gals.

That is another thing bugging me. All this cr*p about duty -- though the man did say she had an good excuse for drinking. But were is any compassion for his/her plight? For losing his sister, his manhood and for now his not so perfect parents? NO ONE is doing much to be a friend or shoulder to cry on except maybe Totem a little. Overall they are staying way too aloof. Where they close to the sister and her death has made them do the battlefield tactic of not getting friendly with the new replacements until they have survived a few battles as they so often die in the first one?

Oh as the power is changing her is it making her younger too? he was college or just post college age, his sister was high school or just college age if memory serves. I think you hinted the Major and his sister were lovers? Did he have anyone before the powers and now that she is nearly completely female will her preferences change? This is a power changing her and it seems to have a will of its own or can his/her will override it/shape it to some extent?.

And will he as a former he wield the power differently than the females, the volunteers? He was *drafted* unknowingly but dearly loved and was loved by his sister but was badly hurt by his parent's unequal treatment of them.

See. You CAN'T make us comment. We will not fall for your crude trick foul temptress!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

*giggles*

"Upload yourself with me if you want to live!"

ROFL!

foxxe_bc.jpg
>> Foxxe Wilder >>

Frankly the shorter chapters are forcing me to constantly

go back to previous chapters to try to figure out what is going on. I assume the hangover Louis has is the present and the sitch with McCree is what lead to Louis doing the guzzling of said booze?

I am just a bit lost in the story at this point but yeah Diva is a threat because then they may claim that Dia is violating THEIR patents and that is gonna be a problem.

Kim

Mostly Unpredictable

terrynaut's picture

I love the twists and turns in this story, and the little surprises waiting just around the bend. There was only one thing that I caught. I knew immediately who Lou was thinking about near the end. But perhaps you didn't mean for that to be a surprise. It's hard to tell with you sometimes. That's a compliment by the way.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

back doors

Wouldn't it be practicle to arrange for the original software to be protected by misuse.
So pirated copies , of any form, would enlist a back door entry that the originator could access and interrogate?

more

Dear Author

I would like to see more evil conflicts, also switcheroo power were being manipulaed does she not deserve to get some extra power that were being keeped from the old one's ?

I don't agree that a warrant was needed, since they are not the police

If they used A warrant they would have had to get an police officer to serve it and be in on the conversation.

not what i would like if i wanted to keep that conversation inside my organization.

as far as the supers are concern a few more around the area and a few more evil doers wouldn't hurt.

but the trick is mixing in the new people.

just food for though.

Jo Ann D

Jo Ann D

More everything

This was confusing, far too brief and I am getting frustrated by the lack of description for Switcheroo - can you please describe the transformation process - or her - At All?
What little is here is actually pretty good, I really do need much more in order to engage with it though

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

only a bit confused

The very sudden reference to drinking at the start of the chapter tossed me TOTALLY off subject. The end of Chapter six involved Anubis' appearance, then suddenly Lou is waking up with a hangover.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I found it a bit confusing. I actually tried to backtrack to doublecheck if somehow I missed something.

foxxe_bc.jpg
>> Foxxe Wilder >>

FINALLY getting around to commenting on everyone's comments...

Wow, some great responses here!

First of all, thanks everyone for sticking with the story so far. I can understand how some elements of how I tried writing this chapter could be a little confusing, to say the least, but that's the kind of thing that happens when you try and change up your writing style sometimes. Overall, though, I think it worked better than I could have hoped for, and I'm glad everyone was able to parse it out in the end.

This is a learning experience for me, after all, so things like that are bound to happen.

Jeez, John, you're huge on the conspiracies and ideas, ain't ya? But, as for some of what you mentioned? Some of your points aren't too far off base, while others are so far out of left field I honestly never considered them when writing the story. That said, I'm NOT gonna tell you which are which, so you'll be left to figure that out later!

For those who feel that I haven't explained/described Switcheroo enough...

I apologize for that. One thing I was planning with this particular story was to post pictures of the various heroes both in and out of costume. While I'm still working on getting those ready, I'm realizing now I should have provided better descriptions to begin with. I'll try to work that into one of the next posts, so you'll have a better idea of what our heroine looks like.

And as for more action? While the next couple of chapters will be kind of slow as far as action goes (this is, after all, more about the character rather than the fights) soon we'll start picking up with the supervillains again. And believe me, the fights? EPIC.

Melanie E.

confused

I am not sure of what happened in this chapter and I was wondering if someone could give me the spark note version of it.

Since you were asking for comments

In hindsight, a little more intel on the company would have given a more realistic feel. The company as depicted would have a paper trail. Officers, product information, employee records, should be available with just plain internet or public information searches. Due to Weaver's attempted murder charges, warrants and police support of search and seizure of company records would be expected to be issued. The suspense of the facilities and the liquor clue wouldn't have changed.