The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 1 Spring Break Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Spring Break
Chapter 11

By Rachel76m
Edited by Don Kaufman


images05_0.jpg
sunrise02.jpg
butterfly17.jpg


Once I am done talking with Corrbas and some other people in the crowd; I whisper to Renard and Sir Halgren. "I think I should put on my ranger set of clothes. We have some time to do it."

"I agree, Richard; let's get back to your room quickly."

Renard then relays the message to Sir Trenton and Trianna so that they know where we're going. They agree to the idea most favorably.

Sir Halgren escorts me back to my room for a quick change of clothes. We see a guard standing there.

"Richard needs to go inside for a quick change of clothes knight."

"I'll open the door for you." The knight removes the sealing spell from the door and he opens the door for us.

"Thank you. We will be out shortly."

Sir Halgren and I walk into my room. I sit on the chair and remove my pants and boots. While I'm doing that, Sir Halgren walks over to the dresser and opens the drawers and takes out the three piece set and lays it on the bed.

I clean myself with soap and water to remove any blood from my face and hands. I toss the bloodied handkerchiefs and pour the bloodied water into the waste receptacle. I walk back out and put the bowl on top of the dresser.

I put on the new pants and the boots. Sir Halgren helps with the shirt to get it on me. I tie the belt on to finish the look. Sir Halgren picks up the jacket and helps me put it on. He takes the pants and put them in the drawers. I take my comb on the dresser and clean up the stray hairs to look neat in the mirror. I take two clean handkerchiefs in the drawers and put them in my pocket.

Once done, we immediately walk out of the room and the door self seals itself like this morning.

"Thank you for letting us in, guards."

"You're welcome Richard and Sir Halgren. I saw the proceedings on
my contact crystal. I wish you best speed in finding the sea dragons. "

"I'm sure we will. Have a good day as well."

Sir Halgren then escorts me to the Grand Dining Room.

~~~000~~~

The guards escort the group of unicorns and fairies to the entrance doors of the private garden. When they approach the doors, they see two guards at the door.

“Clarissa and Lorraine are inside waiting for you, Avel and your friends.”

“Thank you guard, we're ready to enter.”

The guards open the door and allow the unicorns and fairies come in. Once the fairies see the fountain they immediately fly there and begin to play with the water just like the three did earlier in the morning.

Now imagine having thirty-three fairies playing with the fountain. One of the guards walks to the outside wall to stand watch. The other guard remains at the door. The four guards who escorted the group turn and resume their duties elsewhere.

Clarissa and Lorraine brought four baskets filled with towels and flower scented soap bars for all, if they want one for themselves. The unicorns spread around the garden watching the fairies and seeing the beauty of the garden.

Clarissa, Lorraine and the unicorns laugh while the fairies have fun with the water and getting each other wet. Some of the fairies even played some games with the other fairies. There is even a smile on the knight’s face.

“Remember, my dear fairies, we have about a half mark to get cleaned up and go to the Grand Dining Room for the noon repast.”

“Thank you for reminding us, Silverwind.”

One by one the fairies fly over to the baskets and pick up the bars of soap and take them to the fountain. They begin to scrub each other all over, including their hair and clothes. Then they begin to play with the suds and bubbles they created. The girls and the unicorns continue laughing as the fairies have fun. Once the fairies decided they no longer smelled like wild animals, they bring the soap bars back to the baskets.

The soap suds and bubbles are now floating down the channel toward the opening in the wall. Some of the kingdoms see the small water fall have a different look; bubbles floating in the air around the misty veil. In the pool below there is a layer of suds on the water and the trees as it begins to float down the stream to the lake.

They fly back to the fountain and begin to rinse themselves off. They continue having fun and playing with the water, making a game of it.

When the fairies feel they are clean and smell like flowers, they fly over and pick up the towels in the basket to dry themselves off. The fairies beat their wings to help dry them off. Then the fairies drop the towels into the baskets when they get done.

"Now, you smell you like fairies."

"Yes, you most certainly do now."

All of the fairies agree with Einhorn and the girls.

"Yes Lorraine, it is good to smell like fairies again." The fairies giggle and laugh. The girls and the unicorns laugh with them as well.

The unicorns walk back to the main path entrance from the doors and stand next to the two girls.

Then one of the fairies comes forward leading the others and hover in front of the girls. “Thank you, Clarissa and Lorraine, for helping us. Hopefully we won’t need to do this too often when we go to the Maranelle Islands. Like the blessing we gave Clarissa earlier this morning, we would like to give you a blessing as well, Lorraine.”

Lorraine smiles and nods her head, “I’m ready to receive it, fairies and unicorns.”

"You have our blessing and thanks. We pray that the Maker will grant you a long and enjoyable life.”

“Thank you Makaela. May the Maker grant you all a long life as well. Enjoy the celebrations today. Be safe and take care.”

“You do, as well.” They all exchange smiles with one another.

Clarissa and Lorraine bow their heads as the unicorns and the fairies did as well. Then all of the fairies quickly fly around both girls a few times. Then they hover in front of her. “Now we can call you Fairy Friend Lorraine like your friend Clarissa. Thank you for your generosity, caring and laughter.”

“Thank you for the honor. I will remember it always.” She smiles widely at them as do the fairies.

The guard opens the door and they all walk down the hallways. They come to the same intersection where Clarissa left earlier this morning. The group comes to a stop.

"Thank you for this wonderful moment. I will remember it always."

"Yes, thank you for allowing me to serve you all as well."

"You're welcome, Lorraine and Clarissa."

The girls bow their heads and raise them up. The unicorns and the fairies do as well.

The girls turn around and walk to the maid's store room to take care of the towels and soap bars. Then both girls walk back to the ladies of the court room. They see some of the ladies and other hand maidens there.
They see fresh food put out; fish dishes with the usual assortment of fruits, vegetables and other cooked foods for their noon repast.

The girls excitedly replay the event they had in the private courtyard. Everyone else in the room laughs and giggles as the story is repeated.

~~~000~~~

The guards lead the unicorns and the fairies to the Grand Dining Room. When they arrive they see everyone is there standing around and talking to each other, except for the dragons.

The dragons are found all together outside getting their own meal from the ocean. The dragons that were inside the Grand Hall relayed the events that occurred this morning. The other eleven dragons became very angry when they finally learned the truth that it was Ruald who survived after the first encounter with the sea dragons. They became equally mad that it was Ruald who spread the lies to start the War and persuading others to eat wild animal meat.

Then the dragons roar with laughter when they hear how Richard, the Outside Helpers, Thryson and Angathorn Kingdoms helped each other to thwart Ruald's plan.

~~~000~~~

Just as soon as Sir Halgren and I walk into the Grand Dining Hall, the unicorns and fairies come in as well and join the crowd. Then a few moments later the wizards and sorceresses show up as well. They all smell great. There is no hint of any foul odor coming from any of them. The rest of the crowd smile and welcome them back with open arms.

~~~000~~~

Inside the Grand Dining Room everyone is gathered together for a splendid noon repast. The seating is set up similar to the arrangements in Grand Hall. However, most of the military units are not here, only the commanders and ten knights are chosen for the honor. All of the dignitaries and First Ones are present, except for the dragons. The total count for each kingdom is fifty-five. When combined for the Grand Dining Room the total is six hundred and sixty.

On one large table there are place settings for the unicorns, the centaurs and fairies have their own space and table arrangement to accommodate their stature. Also on this table are place settings for the fairies as well. The fairies have carved and smoothed rocks to allow them to sit easily because of their wings. They also have their own plates, cups and napkins for their size if they choose to use them. Fairies usually use their own knives and eat with their hands.

The Master Chef has everything in control in the kitchen. The kitchen is not small by any means. It has enough working space, cooking surfaces, preparation tables, storerooms to feed the guests in the Grand Dining Room. There are twelve stations in the kitchen for each kingdom. There are vents and chimneys above each station. There are windows along one wall. They are all open to bring in fresh air into the kitchen.

The cold dishes are already done and plated and put on to trays and stacked into carts with multiple shelves. Each cart can hold up to thirty place settings. They are stacked neatly in the cool room waiting to be served.

The Master Chef looks over the shoulders of the cooks as they continue the cooking of the meat dishes. He's making sure the meats are cooked properly and prepared with the spices to accentuate the masterpiece. There are multiple aromas filling the air in the kitchen. The Master Chef walks over to see how the cooks are doing for the roasted birds. Then the Master Chef walks over and stands behind the cooks to see how the fish dishes are coming along on the stove tops and grills. He offers his advice making sure the meats are not overcooked again. The Master Chef makes sure half of the fish dishes are done and kept warm in the pans and covered, this will give time for the other half to be cooked while the first course is served.

The servers are attending the tables in the dining room refilling the glasses with whatever the guest requests. Fresh mountain water is served at all place settings. There is wine and ale served for those who wish it.

The Master Chef walks up to the Chamberlain and announces he is ready to start serving. "Chamberlain, it is time to begin the feast."

"Thank you, Master Chef. I will inform King Dryden that you are ready."

They nod their heads at the same time and raise them up. The Chamberlain turns and leaves the kitchen. He walks down the short hallways and into the Grand Dining Room; and walks in front of the long dais where all of the King and Queens are seated. He stops in the center and faces King Dryden.

There is a din of conversation heard throughout the Grand Dining Room as he speaks to King Dryden. "The feast is ready to serve, my King."

"Thank you, Chamberlain, you may turn and make the announcement."

"Yes, my Lord."

The Chamberlain turns and taps his staff several times to get the attention of everyone. The conversations quiet down as the people stop talking to hear the Chamberlain speak. The servers stop what they are doing and face the Chamberlain.

"The noon repast is ready to be served. Servers, if you please. Please report to the kitchen to begin with the first course."

The servers nod their heads to the King and walk to the doors and hallways that lead to the kitchens. Everybody in the Grand Dining Room begin to clap as the servers leave the room, they stop clapping when the last one exits through the doors. The people continue to talk to each other when the last server leaves the room.

The servers go in one door and down the halls and into the kitchen. They receive a cart that is pushed to them from the storeroom help and wheel it out the other door in the kitchen. They walk down the hallway; a guard there opens the other door into the Grand Dining Room for the servers to deliver the first course.

The royalty is served first. Then the servers begin to serve to the rest of the tables shortly thereafter. The unicorns and centaurs are served larger platters for their size. The fairies are given platters of food cut for their size.

The first course contains and assortment of greens and other cold vegetables and a slice of fruit. All servings are arranged as if done by an artist for presentation. There is enough food on the platters that there is no need to call for seconds, even for the unicorns and centaurs. The fairies receive an assortment of fruits and nuts that are cut and prepared for them.

The conversations carry on as before. The servers return the carts once they are done so that they can be filled with platters of the main course. They come back out and attend to the tables and see to the guests’ request.

The cooks remove the roasted birds from the brick ovens, each one seasoned to make the mouth water with delight. The birds have cooked the longest once the cleaning of the kitchen took place. The birds have a combination of spices from each of the four regions so that no region would over power the other. But, you could still taste the spice that represents that region.

There are four varieties of fishes that are pan fried, grilled and broiled each with its own separate set of spices.

The Master Chef selected the spice groupings to represent the four regions of Twainor. One style is very spicy to the palate, another has a sweetness flavor and nuts, and another fish dish is served with one group of herbs while the last fish dish has an entirely different herb group.

As soon as the first course is served, the carts and trays are returned. The Master Chef arrange each plate to have the bird portion in the center with the four fish portions outside of that to make four corners. In between the fish portions contains a serving of cooked vegetables and mushrooms lightly seasoned and garnished. The ladies begin the plating of the main course from the portions as they are sliced from the bird or the fish in pans. Once the ladies are done, the dishes are placed into the carts. The plates are then given a heating spell to keep the food warm until ready to serve.

After a half mark, the servers come with one cart for each kingdom setting and retrieve the empty platters of the first course and stack them into the carts. They are wheeled to the kitchen and sent to the washing area where several people begin to stack the dirty platters onto trays with racks and proceed to clean them magically with water and soap. They remove the clean platters and stack them nearby for the ladies who will do the plating for the main course.

By this time the other half of the fish dishes are done and ready to be portioned onto the platters.

For the unicorns and centaurs they are served several grains that are mildly spiced from each of the four regions. Plus additional sweet roots and hard fruits that are washed and scrubbed. The Centaurs are also served a plate of the meat combination dish as well. You have to feed both stomachs in a centaur.

Once a cart is full of platters, it is wheeled out to the Grand Dining Room by the servers and served to all to enjoy. Soon the Grand Dining Room begins to erupt with laughter as they enjoy masterpiece. Once the last cart wheels out of the kitchen of the main course; the kitchen staff begins the initial cleaning of the pots, pans and utensils

The Master Chef smiles when he overhears the compliments. "Thank you everybody, the feast is the best yet. Just wait until the desert is served, they should be roaring with accolades.”

The kitchen staff smile and laugh knowing they did an excellent job. They have saved enough food from the first course, main course and the dessert for themselves and will have their chance to eat, once the dessert is served.

After another half mark, the servers bring the plates back into the kitchen to get them clean.

To serve the desert, the Master Chef decides to have the fruit already to be peeled, sliced, seeds removed and diced from each of the four regions. He mixes them all up like a salad. For each fruit bowl, it has four different confections made by all of the town and village bakers in Angathorn Kingdom and a dribble of a sweet honey and sprinkled with a spice. The ladies begin to plate the fruit bowls as shown by the Master Chef and place them in the carts as before.

The carts are wheeled out by the servers. Once the bowls are placed in front of the guests, you can hear the 'oohs' and 'ahhhs' as their mouths water from anticipation for the grand finale.

Everyone in the Grand Dining Room thoroughly enjoys the fruit bowl and savoring every bite. It takes about a half mark for everyone to enjoy eating the fruit bowl presentation and continue talking to each other.

Lord Dryden looks over to the Chamberlain and motions with his hand to cover over. The Chamberlain walks over and stands in front of King Dryden.

"Yes, my Lord."

"Please have the Master Chef and the kitchen staffs please come out and take a bow for this wonderful meal."

"Yes, my Lord." The Chamberlain bows head at King Dryden and raises it up. He turns and walks to the kitchen. The Chamberlain greets the Master Chef.

"Master Chef, King Dryden wishes for you and the kitchen staffs to come out receive some thanks for this wonderful feast."

"Thank you Chamberlain, if you please wait a moment." The Master Chef addresses the kitchen staff. "It is time to receive some thanks, go and wash up your hands and set your aprons aside. Come, let us go into the Grand Dining Room."

The kitchen staffs take off their aprons and place them near their station. They wash up to be presentable. They form a line with the Master Chef leading behind the Chamberlain.

The Chamberlain leads them to the doors and pauses. "Please wait a moment until I make the announcement."

The Chamberlain opens the door and walks out several steps and comes to a stop. King Dryden takes notice of it and they both exchange a nod of the head.

King Dryden takes a utensil and chimes the glass ware a few times to get everyone’s attention. The guests all get quiet to hear the King.

"My honored guests and friends. I would like to introduce you to my Master Chef and the kitchen staff selected from all twelve kingdoms. They have prepared a wonderful feast; let us thank them for their patience and efforts this day."

The Chamberlain opens the door, and then the Master Chef walks out with his kitchen staff that prepared the meal. The Master Chef walks to the center while the rest of the kitchen staff form one long line behind him.

The twelve kingdoms clap and cheer for the wonderful meal that was prepared. The Master Chef and the kitchen staff bow and then raise back up. They all smile and some are a little red-faced from embarrassment, but they take it in stride.

The Master Chef raises his hand to quiet the people, "Thank you, Twainor, thank you. It was a labor of love to create the feast for you. The feast is designed for you to remember each flavor and spice that makes us unique but yet one before the Maker."

Then everybody in the room claps and cheers again in giving thanks to the Maker for the wonderful feast, including the kitchen staff. They all turn and face the Kings and Queens and bow their heads with smiles as the royalty does as well.

The Master Chef turns and leads the kitchen staff back inside the kitchen so that they can enjoy their feast and do the final clean up of the Grand Dining Room and kitchen.

King Dryden stands and addresses the twelve kingdoms. "That was a wonderful and tasty feast. Hopefully, it will remind us of our uniqueness but our determination to be one together. This leads us to the next set of problems that need to be resolved from what was uncovered this morning."

Everyone nods their heads in agreement.

"We would like to make contact with the sea dragons today before the Outside Helpers go back home tomorrow or the next day. The Kings and Queens know what needs to be discussed today. They have until the Third Mark this afternoon to be in conference within their own kingdoms to determine what to do and come up with ideas for punishment for the guilty ones. There is already a plea for mercy that they stay near their families, friends and relatives."

"But we need to stress it to them that they cannot live among us anymore. If they do, they will spread the sickness to our next generation and we will lose the gift that the Maker has given us."

"We'll meet in the Grand Hall and see if we can come to an agreement. If not, then it will be at 2nd Mark here in the Grand Hall tomorrow morning."

"Chamberlain, if you please."

"Yes, King Dryden." The Chamberlain steps forward to the center of the room he looks straight forward and taps his staff two times real loud. "This concludes the noon repast in Grand Dining Hall. We will meet again in the Grand Hall at the Third Mark." The Chamberlain taps his staff two times again.

Then everybody gets up from their chairs and walks out of the Grand Dining Room and head back to their own Pavilions.

"That was the most incredible meal I ever had, Renard."

"Yes, the Master Chef of Angathorn Kingdom did a wonderful masterpiece."

"Well, let's walk back to the pavilion. We have some issues that need to be discussed today before Third Mark."

"I agree, Sir Halgren, we need to come up with ideas how to contact the sea dragons and do something about the ones that Ruald caused to be sick."

"The other Outside Helpers are right; they need to offer their help and how to deal with the problems in Maranelle Islands Kingdom."

"Do you have any ideas how are we going to do this Richard?"

"I do, Trianna. Fortunately, I am looking back over the history of my world to see what works and what doesn't. The Outside Helpers will have to do some teaching on land caring when it comes to this kind of mess."

"I'm sure you're right Richard. This is a new problem for us; we will have to learn how to be more protective of our world."

Everyone in our group gets silent as we walk back to our pavilion, each one of us deep in our own thoughts. We try to come up with ideas when we meet again later in the pavilion.

Off in the distance, I hear the dragons roar and flying around having some games of their own. You can hear that roar for miles.... miles... hmm.... I wonder.... hmm... I know... in one of the wildlife magazines I read back home. I read a very interesting story how it is done. That's the answer. That's how we are going to contact the sea dragons. I smile to myself as I recall the information.

We arrive in our pavilion and we see that the tables and chairs have been rearranged for our meeting. The King and Queen have their portable thrones placed up on a raised platform. It is an arrangement similar to the first day when I met King Tierion and Queen Shiranna in Castle Thryson.

I see the dragons break apart from their game and fly back to their respective kingdoms. Everyone takes their seat, all of the dignitaries, wizards, sorceresses, military commanders and officers, Castle Lords and Ladies and the First Ones. Croin and Marcon are outside of the pavilion bent down and looking in. This time Sir Halgren has a seat behind me.

Once everyone settles in, Chamberlain Drexton steps up to the platform and taps his staff two times.

"We're here to discuss the issues and problems that are presented to us from this morning." Sir Drexton turns and steps down from the platform and sits down in his chair to the left of King Tierion.

King Tierion rises and addresses his Kingdom. "I just want to start by giving thanks to the Maker for the way how Thryson and Angathorn Kingdoms prepared for the day. Especially for Richard, our Outside Helper; he had the insight to what could have been a disastrous day."

Then everybody stops and begins to clap and cheer praises to the Maker.

"Thank you, Maker."

"Thank you for the Twin Moons."

"Thank you for the Outside Helpers."

On and on it went for awhile.

Once King Thryson determined it was long enough he raises his hand to quiet the people and to sit down.

"Let's begin with contacting the sea dragons. From that we can plan the rest of the events. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

The people begin to look around to each other. Then Trianna raises her hand. The King sees her and Trianna stands up.

"I would think the best start is on those islands out to the West where it started. Perhaps the sea dragons are still using the islands for their breeding and rearing of their young." She smiles and sits down.

"That's a good point, Trianna. I would think they would still use the islands. We would need to go out there and see it for ourselves. Are there any other ideas or questions?"

Wizard Braden raises his hand. King Tierion recognizes him and Braden stands.

"If the sea dragons are underwater, how are they going to hear us so that they know we are there?" Braden sits down.

"That's a good question, Braden. Are there any other ideas?"

Sir Trenton raises his hand.

"Yes, Sir Trenton?"

Sir Trenton stands, "What if the sea dragons attack while we're there. Surely we don't need to provoke them again."

"No we don't, Sir Trenton. We do not need to provoke them again. I would think this where we need to have nerves of steel as we stand there and not move a muscle. Hopefully, they will come to reason and talk."

Then we hear a loud 'ahem' from Croin.

"Yes Croin what do you wish to add?"

"That would be the most desired approach King Tierion. By standing there and not moving; that would cause them to pause and see that there is self-control in the matter. It would most definitely get their attention that we are serious to talk."

Then Marcon speaks up, "Yes, it would. We remembered how the dwarves finally learned what it takes to approach us. This is going to be exactly the same as way back then."

Telgon stands, "Yes, King Tierion. It took time for us to learn from each other and what we need in life. Once that was understood; we learned how we can use each other abilities to help out in certain situations. We can go in the small places where the dragons cannot. This is especially true when the young dragons are too curious and get lost in the caves." Telgon then sits down and smiles at the dragons and they smile back and nod their heads.

"That all sounds great. But how are we going to contact them? Richard, do you have any ideas?"

I stand while Renard and Trianna are sitting down on both sides of me. "When I heard the dragons roar out in the fields earlier, their voice carries a long way in the way in the air. Then I remembered from my world that certain sea creatures have the same capability underwater."

"They do, Richard? They can hear underwater?"

"Yes, my Lord. It is not a roar like the dragons here on land, but they make sounds underwater by various means. There is a sea mammal in our oceans that is a called a porpoise or dolphin. They use clicking noises to communicate. The whales would do an underwater bellow in their throats and lungs to sound out their message and song. Only they know what it means."

"I see, Richard. So, let's say our dragons here, were to bend down and put their heads into the water and roar. Then the other sea dragons would know something is very big near the islands."

"Yes, that would definitely get their attention to be curious."

"Are you up to the challenge, Croin and Marcon?"

Croin and Marcon smile widely.

"Yes we can do that easily. That would definitely get their attention."

"Yes, Marcon. We just have to be wary when they see a crowd of people and dragons on the islands united together."

"All right, good. That's a start everyone. But what are we going to do with Ruald?"

Renard raises his hand and stands up when the king recognizes him.

"I think the best answer is to leave Ruald on the island he survived on. He only has a few years left in his life span."

"Does he have any relatives alive today, Renard?"

"I think there might be. We would need to check with King Hilmar and their historians. For the way that Ruald behaved, I would think that they would not miss him too much."

"Perhaps not, Renard; Ruald said there was not much food on the islands when he was there last. Would we need to give him some supplies so that he can survive for awhile?"

Sir Leland raises his hand. He stands when he is recognized.

"I just want to interject a thought here. When our recruits are going through training, they're taught over the early years how to survive on remote and uninhabited islands. If they're close enough to an island if their ships are sinking for some reason, they can survive there. Ruald will probably need to be taught a few things so that he can make a good effort to survive as long as possible."

"That's a good idea, Sir Leland. There was one idea that the kings and queens discussed earlier. To somehow give some memories to Ruald from Avel and Richard on how they survived over the centuries through the wars and other horrible events on Earth. That will give him the nightmares and bad dreams for the choices he made and what could happen if he succeeded with his plans."

Avel neighs and nods his head and I raise my hand. The king sees it, "Richard and Avel, you can speak if you wish."

"You go first, Avel."

"Thank you, Richard. That would be the best approach my Lord. But there is no spell on Twainor to do such a thing as far as I know. Is that true Renard?"

"There is no spell that I know of Avel that would do such a thing."

"I was hoping there might be, Renard. I was hoping to challenge Ruald to look into Avel's and my eyes. Then he could see what Earth went through to survive."

"I will need to have a talk with Master Eldwin and see if he knows of any spell. The red and black coloring on the sea dragon tooth was an old dual spell trick. Corrbas used this to seal the knife point and his crystal sphere inside the tooth. When you shave some of it off and put them together in the mineral spirits, it produced the removal sealing spell and the knife point came out by itself."

"Once that happened, King Tierion, the dragons began to be angry everywhere. We flew around the castle in a rage and the dragons inside the Grand Hall begin to roar as well. We became very angry and wanted revenge."

"We didn't know what was happening, Marcon, until some fairies flew to Eldwin's window. When they told us what was happening; then Eldwin and I realized what we did. Apparently Corrbas came to the same conclusion then. We immediately put the knife point back into the sea dragon's tooth and sealed it."

"That's an interesting story Marcon and Renard."

"Getting back to Ruald, Ruald probably won't live long enough to learn the mental tools to control the inner rage. Even if he goes back to the typical Twainor diet, his mind and soul has been scarred by eating the meat of the wild animals. I think his greatest nightmare will be when he discovers he can’t do magic anymore. Every time when he experiences the light show of the Ethereal Space at sunrise and sunset, it will gall him that he made terrible choices."

"I would like to see that happen to him, Richard. Perhaps some new suggestions will come from the other kingdoms later today. All right, what are we going to do about the ones that Ruald deceived? We already heard some of them plead not to send them too far away. Perhaps to another island near the Maranelle Islands that can support them."

Then one of the Castle Ladies raises her hand. She stands when recognized by King Tierion.

"That would be the most merciful solution King Tierion. I would be heartbroken if I knew someone close has the sickness. At least we can send letters in exchange and communicate with them." She sits down and smiles.

"Thank you, Lady Elissa. The kings and queens are in agreement as well. Avel and Richard, what would be some of the challenges they will be facing?"

"Some will feel like a failure and give up trying to have a meaningful life. We just experienced the bad odor from the fairies, the wizards and sorceresses when they came back and reported the conditions. Because my generation had a long life span, the people felt they were invincible or became bored from the daily grind of life. They often wondered when they will die. So they did the unspeakable with the Maker's creation to pass the time away."

We hear some 'gasps' and prayers from people in the King's audience.

"My King, the leadership of the group on the island will need to enact some new laws to keep the peace. I would not be surprised if some taking of life will take place. Especially from the children when they grow up. They will need medicine and herbs to keep some of them calm when their own will says otherwise. They will be more susceptible to new illnesses besides the common ones you experience normally. One of the Outside Helpers has a specialty in body wellness and the mind. She can provide some insight to the islanders and your people to provide the mental tools to keep it in check as much as possible. It is more than just eating the right foods." I sit down and see the expressions of concern on their faces.

"I see, Avel and Richard, thank you for confirming that. We might have to send a healer with a wizard and a sorceress once a moon period at least to check on their health. It would be the right thing to do to help them out. We also had planned to send a wizard and sorceress into the Ethereal Space so that they can be monitored more closely without contact. They won't know we are there watching them, unless the birds sense them hovering around."

Then Queen Shiranna speaks up, "My husband, can I speak a few words?"

She smiles as Tierion smiles back to her.

"You may, my loving wife."

Shiranna stands and walks up to stand by her husband. "Thank you Tierion. The island that is chosen for them should have homes and other buildings already there on high ground. That way they are not exposed to the rains, the winds and the angry sea storms. This way they will have shelter to remind themselves that we provided mercy to them."

"I agree, Shiranna. That is very thoughtful, thank you for the insight. Are there any other thoughts or suggestions?"

I raise my hand.

"Yes, Richard."

I stand and speak to everyone, "The Island that is chosen for them should be able to produce field crops and support the rearing of farm birds. Fishing will be a challenge if they can't have boats. If boats are provided, some will see it as an opportunity to escape the island at night unaware and mingle with you. Also it should be remote enough to prevent any who might swim the distance. Then everything that you do to provide mercy will be wasted for all of Twainor." I sit back down and see some more thoughtful faces as they ponder the new dilemma.

I see Sir Trenton and the other commanders smile and nod their heads at me. I smile back at them. They just thought the same thing.

King Tierion and Queen Shiranna hear some serious mumbling of voices. He raises his hand to quiet the audience.

"That is a most serious statement that you provided, Richard. I guess that is why your specialty is in security. We need to think of every possible path that the people on the island could think of to prevent this sickness from spreading to the rest of Twainor."

Then Governor Drenan raises his hand.

"Yes, Drenan, what do you wish to add?"

"If they can't have boats, then the Port Governor of the Maranelle Islands will need to send fishing boats once in awhile to provide fish for them. This is to make up for what they catch by nets on shore. Also this island should have a source of fresh water as well."

"I agree, Drenan. The island should have a fresh water source. Maybe the people on the island can create some goods to provide meaningful trade with them. At the same time, messages and letters can be sent during those times. I just thought of a new one. It will be the population growth. What if too many people come to survive on the island? What then?"

"That would be an issue my Lord. It would depend how many of each girl and boy is born for the next generation."

"That is very true, Shiranna. Are there any other suggestions or questions?"

King Tierion sees no movement except for shaking of heads to say 'no'."

"Thank you all for your concern and insight. We still have plenty of time before the Third Mark in the Grand Hall today. The time is yours to spend freely. When you see us starting to walk back to the castle, it will be the time to go. Our Master Chef here is providing the evening repast for everyone here. Renard, Trianna, Richard, Queen Shiranna and I will be spending another night in the castle tonight. I suspect there will be a meeting tomorrow morning in the Grand Hall at the 2nd Mark in the morning regardless. So make your plans accordingly. Sir Drexton, if you please."

Sir Drexton stands and walks up to the platform. He faces the people and taps his staff on the platform twice. "This ends the discussion of the issues and problems that were brought up this morning. Thank you." Sir Drexton taps his staff two more times.

Everybody gets up and mingle around. Drenan, Logrin walk over when Renard speaks to me.

"That's interesting, Richard, how some would communicate with sound underwater.

"It is, Renard. The only advantage I have is we have explored our oceans really well in the last two hundred years. Before that we had no knowledge of the depths like you do now. We may have sailed the world and finally mapped the surface. But the oceans are still a mystery. Some people figured out how to build ships that would go underwater and keep the crew safe."

"How would they do that, Richard?"

"First the ship has to be water tight against water pressure and keep the air."

"Just like our ship hulls to stay afloat."

"That's right Logrin. The next problem is weight balance. You would need compartments in the hull to take water on purpose to sink the ship. But you would need the means to get the water out so that you can float back up."

"I see; this is where you have the advantage of creating machinery to do that for you."

"Yes, the next added problem, Drenan and Logrin, is air to breathe and a machine to move through the water or try to move it by magic. Do you have a device in the bottom of the ships to get the water out if a leak happens?"

"We do, but then I imagine now the devices would have to be bigger."

I nod my head in agreement, "The other design change is the ship itself. You've seen fish and how streamline they are in the water."

"Yes, they can be very fast in the water. So the ship would have to be designed that way."

"It will take years of experimenting on shape, design and safety. Our first designs started out for one sailor, then progressed to more as our designs improved. I would advise and be prepared for failure, it can happen."

"I agree, Richard. In our major port in Thryson Kingdom there is a museum that shows our history."

"It is a start Drenan. The problem with being underwater is as you go deeper there is less light. You have to rely on your other senses. You do use a compass to know which way is North and a sun angle device to determine your position on maps and the distances?"

"Yes, we have those on our ships."

"Good, you will need that plus be able to determine distance using sound."

"Determine distance using sound?"

"That will be harder to explain. You will need some bright people on your world that have the insight to figure out the mysteries of the Maker's creation."

"I think I know where you are going with this Richard. It would be like the improvement on the chest plate you're wearing."

"That's right, Drenan. Before you had chain mail, now you have the metal mesh fabric."

"In time we will innovate and improve over time."

"Just keep good notes and logs of your attempts. That way a future generation can guess where to go next."

"So this knowledge is just from reading books written by others who have done it. That includes their successes and failures."

"That's right, Renard. It is part of learning the world around you."

"I'm glad you're our Outside Helper. You've reminded us that we need to have an open mind around us, but still be wary."

"I'm glad, too. The other Outside Helpers have the experience to solve the problems on the Maranelle Islands. That's not my expertise, but I do know the basics of what they are trying to accomplish. If you will excuse me I need to see the tailors here about a replacement set of clothes that Ruald ruined today."

We all smile and laugh.

"I would too, Richard. Thanks for everything."

"You're welcome. The day is not done yet my friends. There is more to come later. Come Sir Halgren, let's see the tailors again." We each go our way.

"I'm right beside you, Richard." He smiles at me as we walk out of the pavilion and walk towards the tailor's tent.

We come to the tent and Sir Halgren opens the tent flap and we enter in. We see Thomas and Theresa working on some shirts to be repaired.

They look up and see us enter in. They smile and give a quick laugh. "Now you know why tailors are needed for these events."

"That is very true, Thomas. I confess; your services are needed when the unexpected happens."

"I'll say, Richard. Look at you; you wore that brand new outfit from Rosella and what happens?" Theresa gives a mischievous twitch in her smile.

I catch the hint, "Someone decides to ruin it. I guess Ruald didn't like it." I smile with them and try to hold the laughter.

We begin to break out laughing. It takes awhile to compose ourselves. "That's good, Richard. We don't have the fabric here to create a new one for you. We'll have to contact Rosella and let her know."

"If she saw the events this morning she would know already."

"That's true, Sir Halgren. But, we still need to contact her and confirm it."

"You two just wait a moment. I will contact her."

Theresa walks over to the table and removes a contact sphere from one of the shelves. She puts it in her left hand up and faces her right palm towards the sphere. She recites the spell and waits for a response. It glows red and the image of Rosella appears above the crystal sphere.

"Theresa, it is good to see you again. Why are you calling me?"

"To put it bluntly, it seems that Ruald didn't like Richard's new ceremonial outfit and decided to ruin it." She tries to hold the laughter.

Rosella sees it and begins laugh as well. "I'm sure he didn't like it, Theresa. We all saw what happened."

I walk up and stand next to Theresa. "The outfit was great Rosella, it really fitted well. Thanks Rosella. I guess now, you will have to make another shirt and jacket to replace it."

"Don't worry about it. Of course we were appalled what happened then Richard. We'll try to clean and repair them when you come back. If not, we'll have the replacements ready here for you."

"Thanks, Rosella. I would just like to say that Vincent, Thomas and Theresa did an excellent job in creating this ranger style outfit."

"Yes, I can see that, Richard. It looks very good on you.

While we are talking, Sir Halgren sees that Sir Trenton is walking towards him.

"It's time, Sir Halgren."

"I'll tell Richard, Sir."

Sir Trenton turns around and walks with his commanders.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but it's time for the meeting at the Grand Hall."

"I'm sorry, but I need to leave. There is another meeting planned in the Grand Hall at the Third Mark here."

"You go ahead, Richard, we'll catch up later."

"Thanks for everything. See you all later."

"You're welcome, take care."

I turn and walk out with Sir Halgren. We both start walking with the crowd and turn towards the castle. I see Croin flying overhead with some of the other dragons his size following us as well. It takes about a quarter-mark to arrive in the castle court yard. The doors are wide open to the Grand Hall as we file in. Most of the people have smiling faces, but there are some with concern because of what Ruald tried to bring to Twainor.

We all start to file into our own sections. This time Sir Halgren and I are sitting near the front of the Thryson Kingdom section. We sit behind King Tierion, Queen Shiranna and Sir Trenton. In our row, we are sitting with the commanders and engage in some small talk.

We see the Chamberlain walk up to the center stage. He looks around as we get settled into our seats. Once he sees that everyone has seated, he taps his staff on the stage twice real loud. Everybody gets quiet to hear him.

"It is time to begin the discussion of what was discovered this morning."

He taps his staff again and turns left and walks toward Angathorn's Kingdom section to sit down. Grand King Dryden stands up from his seat in his Kingdom's section. He is followed by two guards as he walks forward. The guards come to a stop near the steps of the stage, but remain on the main floor. Kind Dryden continues and steps up to the stage and stands in the center of the stage to begin the discussion.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 1 Spring Break Chapter 11

This story is getting better and better, but I wonder just what magic the unicorns have? And are there any winged horse like Pegasus?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine