Stricken Pt 3

Printer-friendly version

Ryan pried open his heavy lids. His vision was blurred as he tried to focus his sight. Blinking several times and rubbing his eyes, he found his surroundings slowly come into sharpness. Oh, it felt like he had been hit by a truck. His whole body ached. His thoughts were a little confused as he tried to think about what had happened to him to cause such soreness. Suddenly it snapped! His first fever had hit...he quickly sat up and surveyed his body. Oh crap! He wasn't ready for this.

Funny, he still looked the same. He went through his whole body and found that nothing had changed. Maybe the fever hadn't hit?

Suddenly his mother entered the bedroom.

"Ryan you're awake" she said with a sense of relief in her voice, "we were wondering when you would come out of it"

"What do you mean mom?" Ryan replied in a cracky voice that seemed like it hadn't used in a quite a while.

"Sweety, you've been asleep for 3 weeks"

"What?!? But nothing happened to me. I'm still the same." Ryan stated in a panicked voice.

His mother looked him over. She knew that his skin had become very soft and delicate from seeing his progress over the last 3 weeks but could already see the fear and angst on her son's face. She would have to tell him though. There was no use denying what was happening.

"Your skin has changed Ryan. Feel it. Its very soft and smooth now. Your hair fell off your arms, legs and chest about 3 days ago also"

Ryan looked at his arms and was stunned at the change. It was subtle but obvious at the same time. His skin was super soft and looked like porceline. There was not an ounce of hair that he could find on his body. He gasped.

"Mom, it's happening. I don't want this to happen! I'm a boy not a freaking girl mom!"

His mother reached out to comfort her son.

"I know honey, but this is the card that has been dealt to us and we will deal with it as it happens ok?"

"No mom, I'm not going to change. I refuse to!" he said with anger in his tone.

The conversation continued for several minutes and Ryan gained his composure. He knew that everything the doctor said would happen was on the horizon but he was convinced that he could beat this. No matter what he would never be a girl. No matter how much his body changed, nothing would change his mind. The virus couldn't take that from him. He wouldn't let it.

His mom helped him out of bed and the next blow came.

"Mom, I shrunk!" he screeched.

Ryan had been 4 inches taller that his mother but now the two looked eye to eye. He looked just like he did before the fever...only shrunken down a tad. He now stood 5 foot 5 inches.

"Oh Ryan, I didn't notice that while you were lying in bed. I'm sorry I couldn't warn you" his mom sympathised with him.

He felt defeated. He was like 8/10ths his regular self. He reached deep within himself and took a deep breath.

"I can deal with this. I'm not going to let this thing beat me." He said with conviction.

"Why don't you get dressed sweety. I'm going to round up the troops. They missed having you around these last weeks."

His mom left him be. Ryan opened up his drawer and pulled out some underwear. Other than the aching body he felt fine. He felt like his regular self. He slipped on his underwear and of course they were a little big for him now. Damn. The waist fit alright but the leg holes did not cling. There was open space. His put on a tshirt which fit ok and a pair of jeans. He didn't want to expose his smooth, hairless legs to the world. Damn again. The legs of the pants were too long now. He bravely rolled up the bottom of the legs and walked downstairs.

"Hey Ryan, welcome back!" His older sister welcomed him.

"Yeah, about time you got of bed bro!" his brother quipped in.

His dad remained silent.

They all observed what looked like the regular Ryan but he was shorter for sure. He looked fairer than normal as well.

"Look, can we just forget about how I look different and move on with life?" Ryan stated. He hated everyone looking at him like some kind of freak.

"Yes honey, we are just glad to have you awake again." his mother replied.

"Dude, I'm gonna be taller than you if you keep shrinking." his brother joked.

"Shut up! I can still kick your little butt with one arm tied behind my back. Don't forget that" Ryan defensively replied.

His brother knew what Ryan was capable of and shut his mouth.

Dad continued to remain silent.

"So do you feel any different?" his sister asked.

"No, I feel fine ok? I just want to go on with life. I don't want to talk about this." Ryan replied.

"Good, let's leave it at that" Dad finally jumped in and then walked out of the room.

"Ok, well let's just get on with life then." Mother stated and left the kids who seemed to be fine with everything.

She caught up with her husband who had found solice in the garage.

"Do you mind telling me what the hell your problem is?" She snapped at him.

"I'm fine"

"Obviously not. What kind of way is that to treat your son who is going through a very rough time right now?"

"What the heck am I supposed to say? Do you have nay idea how hard it is for me to see him getting all girly? This is not supposed to be happening to my boy!"

"Do you think I like this? Do you think Ryan like this? No! This is going to happen whether we like it or not though and I choose to be a support and rock my my son. You need to decide where you are going to fit into this because your son is going to need all of our love through this."

"I just need time...leave me be"

She shuck her head and left. She couldn't believe how insensitive her husband was being.

"Ryan, Christina wanted to come over when you woke up. You should call her." his mom told him when she walked back into the room.

"Does she know mom?" Ryan asked. He really didn't want his girlfriend to find out.

"I had to tell her sweety. She was so concerned when you weren't able to talk to her."

Damn. He text her a couple times and she was coming over in an hour. How would this go?

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

IF CHRISTINA

ALISON

'is as supportive as his Mum,Ryan will be in front.As for his
Dad,he should put two Viagra eye drops in each eye and take a
long,hard look at himself.Ryan is still his flesh and blood,
no matter what!

ALISON

Stricken Pt 3

I wonder if this 'plague' is related to the wacky water in 'THe Center' series by Lillith Langtree?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Consistent

Well, I see the misogyny and anger is largely unabated. Mom is being a bit of a doormat, taking Ryan's insults to her gender as if they're deserved. Either this is one really messed up family, or there's something seriously wrong with this society in general. Having read a lot of sci-fi, I tend to look for internal consistency more than convergence with the real world.

It's an interesting story concept, but I'm hoping we'll see a little bit more about how things got this way.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I really like this!

It's kind of strange to see all the different ways to react to the changes that Ryan is going through, he worst thing is that none of them are right.I hope Ryan's girlfriend can help them to find a stable "center" so that they can ease Ryan through the treansition. I really worry about Ryan's Dad. My 20 tear old cousin has serious cancer problems, and her Dad doesn't talk to her. He says he just can't deal with it.It's a great deal like Ryan's situation, if a bit more serious.
I hope something changes for Ryan's family soon.

Wren