Sangria: This is Where Everything Goes Wrong

Printer-friendly version
Sangria: This is Where Everything Goes Wrong
by:
Lilith Langtree


Just when you thought your life couldn't get any darker.

alt-sangria.jpg

Obligatory Credits: This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out Whateley Academy at http://www.crystalhall.org
Pic Credit: Lady Death from Chaos Comics (pic adjusted for the story)

Author's Note: This is fanfiction, obviously. Here is a notice to all the fan-boys and fan-girls out there. I have not read every single Whateley fic and or fanfic out there so I don't know every single little bit of trivia there is to know. If you see a tiny little error that that has absolutely no bearing on the plot, please, restrain yourself from pointing your finger and gasping in abject horror. I think it's fairly close so slowly put your blades away and relax. :)

The Beginning of the End

Thus ends my sixteenth birthday celebration.

Don't be too disappointed that you weren't invited, nobody was except for my closet boyfriend, Jeremy. No matter how en vogue it is to be a lesbian, it's still very eww-o-rama to be a guy and be gay.

He was currently crashed out in bed, looking cute as always. I'd received my birthday present. Sigh. As I did up my blue button-down I mentally checked 'Lose Virginity' off my things-in-life-to-do list that I kept locked away in my head. With a smile, I added a few more checks next to that entry; Jeremy was quite energetic, and I was more than willing.

Once I had most of my clothes on I grabbed my socks and shoes before leaning over to kiss his cheek goodbye. He wrinkled his nose and murmured in his sleep before turning over and snuggling into the pillow I'd left behind.

A quick fantasy ran through my head of us older, married, and happy. I knew it was just a fantasy. Odds are we wouldn't last the remaining years of high school before moving on, but it was pleasant nonetheless.


~O~

Dad was in the car, waiting for me, by the time I made it outside. Hopefully I didn't have a glow about me or anything. That would be seriously embarrassing to talk about.

"Hey sport, did you have a good time?"

I smiled wide and nodded while I was putting on my seatbelt. "Yeah, party was great."

Wiggling around in the seat, I tried to get comfortable, but I was still a little sore from… well, you know.

Dad looked at me weird. "No presents?"

I laughed a little. "I'm not five anymore, Dad. It was just a get together with friends. I told them not to get me anything." That didn't stop me from fingering the platinum band on my right ring finger that Jeremy bought for me. He wanted to put it on my left hand, being all romantic and stuff, but we both knew that he wasn't ready to come out of the closet. Me, on the other hand…

Once we were well on our way I decided to break the news to my only living parent. I closed my eyes and steadied my breathing before opening them again. There were books, movies of the week, after school specials, magazines, websites, toll free numbers, you name it; everyone had their opinion on the best way to break the news to the parents. Knowing my dad as I did, I knew that he would respect the straight forward approach rather than listening to me talk circles around touchy topics.

"Dad, tough embarrassing subject time."

He glanced quickly at me and then set his eyes back on the road. That let me know that he was gearing himself up. When I saw the nod, afterward, I knew he was as prepared as he was going to get.

"I'm gay."

He blinked a couple of times, and I saw him swirl the thought around his mouth before swallowing and licking his lips. "When?"

I shrugged and slowly blew a little tension out between my teeth. "I guess about three years now. At least since I realized it."

"So, before Mom died."

With a nod I answered. "Yeah."

He checked his side mirror before changing lanes. It was kind of weird seeing him totally trying to keep control of himself. To be honest, I didn't know how he was going to take it. You can always hope for the best, but I'm really not that kind of person. I tend to plan for the worst. Back at home I had a backpack and a duffle bag in my closet, just in case. It had all the essentials in it, so that I could move on if need be. That's why I waited until I was sixteen. It left me with a lot more options, legally. Jobs were a heck of a lot easier to find. A Hardship drivers license was easier to obtain. While frowned upon, I could legally live on my own under the guidance of child services if I could support myself.

"Are you seeing someone?"

I nodded. "I can't tell you who it is. He isn't out publicly. It's not my secret to tell."

"He isn't older…"

I nearly gasped when I saw where he was going with that one. "No, god no. Eww. My age, Dad."

He released a breath in relief.

Two more miles went before either of us said anything else. "I thought you'd yell more."

There was that eye shooting thing again. "Have I ever given you a reason not to come to me with anything, Braith, no matter how bad you think it is?"

I shook my head. I'd really underestimated my dad. "I'm sorry."

He chuckled a little. "I may be a hillbilly, but I'd like to think that I'm somewhat enlightened."

"You're not a hillbilly, Dad."

"Our house is on the side of a mountain and we live in Kentucky. I wear overalls. I'm a hillbilly and you're the gay son of a hillbilly. There's nothing wrong with either of us."

Well, he kind of had me there at the part about the overalls. At least he didn't have a moonshine still, go 'coon hunting, or make his own chewing tobacco. Gag!

"Just do me a favor."

"Hmm?" I asked.

"If you ever bring your… boyfriend over, just don't make out in front of me."

"Daaad!" I whined and he laughed.

I didn't see the truck that crossed the median in front of us. I just saw Dad's shocked face. He stomped on the brakes and threw his hand out in front of me, slamming me against the seat.

Car wrecks don't sound anything like they do on TV or at the movies. There weren't any tire squeals or deafening crashes of glass shattering, no explosions, or bombs going off. There was just the sound of metal twisting in ways that wasn't normal. The impact was so jarring that I lost my sense of reality for an unknown amount of time. Nothing seemed right.


~O~

There were flashes of lucidity. I remember smelling burned oil. I remember my face wet and warm. I remember my skin itching. I remember my insides feeling like they were on fire.

"Braith."

Even behind the closed lids of my eyes I was trying to squint from the light. Reflexively I brought my hand up in to show the international sign for 'it's too fucking bright in here'.

"Close the blinds," I heard the voice say.

A few moments later the light receded and I said the first thing that came to mind. "Dad?" Except there was a problem. That wasn't my voice.

I tried clearing my throat, but didn't get a chance to repeat myself.

"Braith, I need you to relax for the moment and tell me the last thing you remember."

Taking the chance to blink away the sleep crust sealing my eyes, I focused on the guy standing beside me wearing a white lab coat, kind of like what doctors wear. On second glance I'd say, exactly like doctors wear.

The other person was a lady in a business suit, and I was obviously in the hospital.

The Hospital.

Dad.

My hands quickly reached out and I grabbed the railings on the bed. "Where's Dad? The car…"

The doctor closed on me and lay a hand on my wrist. "It's very important that you try to stay calm, Braith."

Something red shot out from behind me and latched on to the doctor's wrist, ripping his hand off me and hoisted him in the air, several feet off the floor. At the same moment a sense of calm washed over me, artificial, almost like I'd been dosed up.

My eyes glazed over and I dropped, boneless, back on the bed.

"Braith."

I slowly moved my eyes to the other side of and saw the business suit woman smiling at me. "My name is Morphine. I'm a mutant, and I'm using my power to keep you sedated. I'm going to ease up a little so you can calmly talk to us. If you think you can keep yourself calm then blink once."

I really didn't have a choice. I blinked.

Feeling immediately started coming back to my body. "Where's my dad?"

She looked over at the doctor who was brushing himself off, rather put out. "You were in a car accident. He didn't make it. You did."

I closed my eyes and tried to turn off everything. Dad didn't raise a crybaby. That didn't stop the golf ball sized lump from disappearing from my throat.

"Is there anyone you want us to call?" she asked, sympathetically.

Shaking my head I told her, "Mom's dead. I'm alone."

I sniffed and reopened my eyes to see her lips pressed together as she looked at the doctor.

"What happened to my voice?"

The doctor leaned in, somewhat warily. "First things first, Braith. How do you feel?"

Blinking for a few seconds, I took stock of my body. "Weird, different, like something's not right."

"We're going to tell you something else, Braith. Remember to keep control of yourself."

I nodded in fear. All sorts of awful things ran through my head, thought of missing limbs foremost.

"You're a mutant."


~O~

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, I couldn't believe what my eyes were telling me. Being a mutant wasn't the end of the news for the day. Something about BIT and GSD -- scientific gobblygook that was supposed to explain away the massive changes that I apparently went through while I was unconscious.

I was a chick. A white chick. I'm so white I make chalk say, 'DAMN! You're white!' That only sets off how red my hair is. I'm not talking about Carrottop red or even fire engine red. Some of the doctors at the hospital called it auburn. It's all B.S. I know the color of blood when I see it. Not that fresh blood from a cut that's bright and glowing either. I got the dead blood color. In other words it was dark red, like it was mixed with black or something.

The weirder part? It moved, my hair that is. It was constantly in motion, swaying here and there like a light wind was passing back and forth. Sometimes a tendril licked my cheek or caressed my shoulder, but for the most part it just moved. The length had increased until it was touching my waist.

God, so much had changed.

"I'm here to help you through your transition, Braith," Morphine explained as she stood at the doorway, watching me in the mirror.

It felt like I was at the end of my leash, ready to snap at the slightest twinge in the wrong direction.

"I need some clothes."

She nodded. "We're having something sent up. I was only brought in this morning."

I closed my eyes and shook my head in confusion then reopened them when I asked, "Who are you?"

Morphine reached into a pocket of her blazer and withdrew a laminated card before handing it over. "My actual name is Tammy Morse, codename: Morphine. Kentucky is one of the more… enlightened states where being a mutant isn't an automatic 'freak sentence'. The local government has put a number of mutants on retainer to be brought in for new transition cases, to help."

I looked at the card, not understanding half of what was written, and then handed it back. "So, you're here to make sure I don't go on a killing spree?"

She frowned slightly. "Contrary to popular belief, Braith, most mutants are pretty normal people that are thrown into extraordinary circumstances. Sometimes they develop powers that are very dangerous until they learn control."

My attention was brought back to the mirror and my freaky hair. "Well, I don't think I'll be killing anyone with my new hairdo."

She shrugged her shoulders. "I think you'll be surprised at what you can do. There's more to you and your hair than meets the eye."

Glancing down at the twin globes of blinding white flesh on my chest, I agreed. "I look like a freaking demon or something." I did. That red color I told you about, the color of my hair? My eyes were a matching blood red. Thankfully it was just the irises and not my entire eye.

"I've heard stories, read about people that…"

She nodded. "There are quite a number of us that have changed a lot more than you have. Count yourself as one of the lucky ones. You could have turned into a big pile of goo."

I looked over at her to see if she was serious. The regretful nod was more than enough confirmation.

"You said you got my measurements?" I was curious, sue me.

With a nod she rattled them off. "Your current vital statistics are height: five-seven, weight: one-twenty-five, bust: thirty-four-cee, waist: twenty-two, hips: thirty-eight, inseam: thirty-two, shoe size…"

"That's enough, stop." It was too much for my head to wrap around. Jesus, I was a freak show.

"You should be prepared for further changes with time. You've just turned sixteen, correct?"

I nodded.

"Female puberty usually, not always, but usually, ends around seventeen years old." At the sight of my jaw loosening she continued. "Judging by how much you've developed already, I'd say that you're probably close to being finished. Your cup size may increase a little more, maybe your hips too, depending on how your new metabolism works."

"Wonderful."

A knock at the door interrupted my self-deprecation.

"That's probably your clothes." She closed the bathroom door and after a few seconds I heard a thank you, then nothing until she returned.


~O~

No matter how much I like taking the more stereotypical female role while in a relationship with a guy, I did not want to be a girl. I liked looking like a guy. I like all my guy parts just fine, and I like my men firmly on the gay side. There's a difference between gay and straight guys. I'm not talking about stupid lisps, limp wrists, or bright colored clothes like the way we are portrayed on TV or in the movies. I'm talking about something intrinsically different. That is what I'm attracted to.

How in the hell was I supposed to have a gay boyfriend now? Hopefully Jeremy will understand and stay with me.

Sounds a little cold-hearted doesn't it; me thinking about my sex life while Dad is sitting in some funeral home waiting to be buried. Well, it's not. I was trying my best to keep his death in the back of my mind until I could actually have some private time to grieve. No matter how many pustules of estrogen are floating around in my bloodstream now, I was still a guy deep down. Guys don't cry even if they're gay.

Tammy, or the hospital rather, provided me with green scrubs to wear. That was cool of them, very unisex clothing scrubs were. The underwear was a different matter: panties and a bra. They were utilitarian enough, nothing frilly, white cotton.

The shame of wearing them was limited to when I actually put them on. Once I was covered up with the scrubs I was perfectly fine. Out of sight, out of mind.

"Those'll do until we can get you out to the store."

Now the shame was back again. The only good thing about having freakishly white skin? The color didn't change, so no blushing would be apparent. However my scowl was more than enough to let her know my thoughts on the subject of shopping for girl clothes.

"You'll have to do this sometime, Braith. It's better to get it over with and meet your problems head on. Besides you'll need something suitable for your father's service later today."

I frowned. She was right, but I didn't have to like it.


~O~

Being out in the mountains, there are no super malls. We have Wal-mart and little strip centers here and there. Wal-mart sucks big squirrel penises. There was a fairly nice mini-mall over in Pikesville that, if I remembered right, had gigantic women's departments. That's where I got Tammy to drive me. The coat I got to borrow wouldn't keep me warm for long and I was currently freezing to death in the scrubs. While I'm sure they are all the rage at your local hospital, outside they sucked.

When we arrived at the mall Tammy called ahead to the store manager and told her who she was and what we were doing. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the credit card Dad had given me in case of emergencies. Fifteen minutes later, after they verified her ID, we were given the thumbs up.

Now while I told you before that Kentucky was one of the more enlightened states with their attitudes toward mutants, that doesn't mean that people don't stare, whisper, move to the side when you pass, grab their kids out of the way, etcetera, ad nauseam. It just means they won't necessarily grab the pitchforks and torches right away.

Seeing what amounts to a demon girl walking around in mismatched clothes was a little too much even for them.

I kept my head down, but nobody was fooled for a second. There was nothing I wanted to do more than just get something to wear and get the hell out. Thus the speed shopping.

"Braith, don't you think…"

"No, five of the same color is fine. I'm not a clothes horse."

Those mannequins they have all dressed up are how I shop. Someone thought they were good looking enough to put up there, that was good enough for me. So, five pair of thick black leggings, five black long-sleeved turtlenecks, five black cotton bras, and five black cotton panties.

"You can't wear those panties with those leggings, not if you don't want everyone to see what you are wearing underneath. Here…"

She grabbed two three-packs of cotton panties that looked the same as the others I had. So, I shrugged and added them to the shopping tote. I could see the disappointment on her face at my selections. I really didn't care.

Black knee socks and lastly a decent pair of boots. Decent meaning Doc Martins knee boots; virtually no heel, well no more than I was used to.

"You'll need a coat."

I sighed, as we were starting to draw a crowd. "Take this over and start getting it rung up, I'll grab something."

It was wool black and came down to my knees. Good enough? I grabbed a pair of gloves on the way back and I was set.


~O~

"You're going to want more things than this. You don't even have a purse."

I stared out the window on the way home. "I've got tons of pockets. I don't need a purse."

"Those are ornamental." At my confused looked she explained. "They're fake pockets. You have two to stick your hands in. The leggings have none. "

I shrugged. "I can use my backpack."

Hearing her sigh was starting to become a habit that I was learning to ignore. "Braith, I know you've been though a lot, and something are only going to get worse, but it would be best for you to take my advice about a few things."

Returning her sigh with one of my own I responded. "Such as?"

"Your body is female. You can try to deny it all you want and you can even live like a guy if you choose, that's all up to you. However a girl's body works differently than a guy's."

I snorted, somewhat, in a sarcastic way.

"What I'm trying to get at here is things would go a lot easier for you if you take my advice. I've been a girl for all of my life. It's not so bad."


~O~

Like Dad said before, we lived on the side of a mountain.

"Nice place."

I didn't bother saying anything. Really, what was there to say?

When the car stopped I opened the door without any revelry, like I'd done a thousand times before, but the moment before I stepped out, I froze and just looked at the front door.

"Braith?"

Before turning to look at her, I breathed in the crisp winter air.

"We can take this as slow as you want."

I just shook my head and stepped out. "I can't live in hospital scrubs the rest of my life."

Clutching at the four bags dangling from my hands, I led the way up the front steps with Miss Helpful right on my heels… well hospital slip-ons anyway. I tilted the planter beside the door and removed the hidden key underneath before I opened the door.

The heater was running in the background, and the house was warm. As I stood in the doorway, I imagined I heard Dad in the kitchen getting dinner ready and going through our daily routines.

"Braith," my companion whispered. "We need to get moving if you still want to go to the funeral."

I cocked my head to the side and then entered, allowing her to follow.

Family pictures lining the fireplace mantle caught my attention. Happy times. Turning away I attempted to compartmentalize the pain they evoked.

Tammy's irritating calm was getting on my nerves.

"Make yourself at home. I'm gonna go change."

She nodded. "Thank you. If you need any help just call down."

Ignoring her, I ran up the stairs. I think I can figure out how to put clothes on. I'm not a two-year old. As I passed Dad's room I slowed and glanced inside. Fresh laundry was on the bed waiting to be folded. There was no doubt that was a useless chore now. With a grimace I turned away and stalked to my room.

A few seconds of upending the clothes on my bed and I looked at my new wardrobe. Well at least I don't have to worry about what I'm going to wear anymore. Simplicity is what I needed, not lessons on how to be the prom queen.

Stripping out of the hospital clothes and state supplied underwear, I stopped for a second and checked myself out in the mirror. Yep, still a chick.

I tore open the bag of panties and picked one of them up. What the…

Turning them around didn't help matters, it still looked like a small panel of cloth attached to strings. I picked up the package and studied it. "Hanes Women's Tagless 100% Cotton Low-Rise Thongs (Black). She made me buy thongs!"

I love thongs, believe me, on other people, not me. Giving a look at the door, I weighed the choice of wearing what I had in my hand over going back to the store and buying actual underwear. The thought of being stared at made my choice all that my easier and thus that much more humiliating. Tammy won for now.

By the time I figured out the bra, on my own mind you, donned the leggings and turtleneck, I thought I would feel better. Again girlie items were out of sight and out of mind. But the feel of the thong wedging its way between my lower cheeks was distracting as hell. I can't even say what the rest of the clothes looked like.

The outfit on the mannequin was loose and warm looking. What I had on was almost skin tight. There was no hiding the fact that I was one of the most curviest girls I knew. Tammy said the sizes were right, and I just had to prove that I didn't possess the need to try on every single thing to make sure it fit just perfectly, like every other girl I knew.

Well I wasn't going to let her have the satisfaction of saying 'I told you so'. This meant that I needed to look like the clothes didn't bother me. Fine. I could do that. There was oh so much more that I can say sucks about my life than just the clothes.

The socks went next, which came up well above my knees. I shook my head. With a sigh I remembered that was the style with over the calf boots. Discarding the cardboard things that were holding the upper portion rigid, I pulled out the paper wadding from the toe and slipped on the boots. They were a little snug, but the socks I bought were brand new. A few washings and everything should fit fine. Once they were zipped up, I folded the socks down to just under my knee. There, now I looked like I actually knew how to dress.

I retrieved my Swiss Army Knife and snipped the remaining tags along with the tag on the coat and gloves.

Standing in front of the mirror on my dresser, I slipped on my gloves and almost looked human again. The only bit of white skin showing was on my head.

Jesus, my hair seems to be loving this. The volume had nearly doubled and some of it was sliding over my shoulders to frame my face. When I turned to the side a little, I noticed it seemed shorter than before, almost under my shoulder blades instead of at my butt. Even I had to admit, if I were a heterosexual guy, I'd love seeing me walk down the hallway heading my way. Except for the eyes.

With that in mind, I moved to my junk drawer where I kept my odds and ends, withdrew a pair of Oakley Pit Boss sunglasses. Dad bought them for me for my birthday. I didn't have the heart to tell the man that just spent six hundred dollars on a pair of sunglasses that they were too small for my head. Taking them out of the protective case I slipped them on. Of course they're a perfect fit now. Thanks, Dad. That's one thing I didn't have to throw away.

Okay, now I just looked like a goth girl. I could deal with that. That is if I could get my hair to stay still for a fraction of a second. It was the only thing that was giving away my freak status at the moment.

While I was in the drawer, I withdrew a silver chain and went back to the property bag that held the stuffed saved from the accident, both mine and my dad's. I found the ring that Jeremy gave me and slipped the chain inside before securing it around my neck. When I was a guy the chain was a little small for me. Now that my neck was much thinner the ring hung about three inches down from my non existent adam's apple.

The watch was useless -- way too big. I was about to put the diamond studs they took out of my ears back in, but guess what? Along with the next body, I got new ears too. So now I had to… OWW!

Before I realized what was happening the studs were snatched out of my hands and inserted into the new holes in my lobes, compliments of my hair. I watched in almost stunned horror as a single drop of blood dripped down from the new holes and a few strands of my hair brushed them away, absorbing it some how. That same stand curled up and then lengthened until it was long enough to caress my cheek softly, almost lovingly.

I swallowed, not bothering to move until it withdrew. Okay, no thinking about any more piercings in the future. Apparently my hair could read my mind and had a mind of its own. I closed my eyes and remembered when I woke up at the hospital. The doctor… it was my hair that grabbed his wrist and held him up in the air, several feet off the floor.

Reaching up I patted my strange locks. "Good hair, nice hair. Please don't draw any more blood before asking, okay?" I figured that was the safest route to go. It couldn't talk, after all.

Several strands quickly lengthen and shot toward my school supplies stacked on one side of the dresser. The books on top were slid to the side and the notebook underneath was opened to a blank page. I didn't see where the pen came from. My hair was wrapped around it, guiding it above the paper. My mouth just unhinged when I saw it writing something. Closing in, I realized that what I mistook as some freaky mutant power was nothing of the like.

My hair was sentient.

At your request, I will not take your blood, my love. However, I require sustenance.

"Sustenance?"

Blood, my love.

I swallowed again before asking. "How much?"

Depending on your needs. If you require me to be very active then I will need more.

"More?"

More.

Think, Braith. Oh, idea! "Does it have to be human blood?"

Blood is blood, my love.

Score. While the thought of having vampire hair is weird enough, I think I could deal with it as long as I wasn't the donor. "Okay, I can get you some more. Just don't take any from humans unless you get my okay. They kind of look down on things like that and they will hurt me.

I will protect you, my love.

"Thanks?"

The pen dropped and my hair reduced its length, caressing my face as it returned to its place along my shoulders. My body went on automatic, as I was too stunned to freak out and too freaked out to run around with my head cut off screaming about how my hair can think for itself and wants me to feed it.

Tammy popped into my head. Tammy! She'll know what to do.

Taking a few quick breaths to calm the pounding in my chest, I made my way down stairs. The state-appointed mentor was browsing the titles of the books lining the mantel above the fireplace when she heard me. Turning around she took me in and smiled.

"Wow, Braith…" She looked stunned. "You have my apologies. You look great!"

I stopped at the foot of the stairs, momentarily distracted, and looked down at myself. "Uh, thanks."

She quickly walked over to me. "Maybe it's the contrast in colors. I think some accessories in red, matching your hair wouldn't go amiss either. Well done!"

I closed my eyes and shook what she was saying out of my head. "My hair can talk."

She gave me a weird look. "Pardon?"

With a confirming nod I explained the earrings and how I had the impromptu piercing session, plus the conversation afterward. All the while my hair was stroking my neck sending pleasant shivers down my back, which was quite distracting.

"Blood?"

"Yeah."

The odd thing? She didn't seem to be too put off by the suggestion. "Well then, we'll need to get a supply of food so that your hair…" she stopped. "You're obviously an avatar, hold on a second." Tammy looked around. "Do you have some paper and a pen around?"

Not thinking too hard about how she was acting like this was an everyday occurrence I went to the counter by the phone and retrieved a notepad and pen. We sat on the couch and I put the items on the coffee table, and Tammy started talking to my hair. My life has become so strange.

"Hello, my name's Tammy Morse. May I ask whom I'm addressing?"

Nothing happened.

Her eyes centered on mine. "Can it hear me?"

I shrugged, then remembered that my hair could read my thoughts. How else would it know to pierce my ears? So I concentrated on talking to myself. 'Can you hear her?'

Two strands lengthened and picked up the pen.

I am aware of your mentor, my love. However I have not had enough time to integrate myself into your senses as of yet. It is a slow process.

Tammy seemed pleased at watching my hair write. "Braith, just repeat what I ask, okay?"

I nodded.

"Tell it my name, and ask if it has a name."

I repeated her question.

Greetings Tammy Morse, mentor of my love. I am Sangria. Thank you for assisting my host in her transition.

"You're welcome." I relayed that while Tammy looked thoughtful. "Were you the cause of Braith's transition?"

There are few who are blessed with the genetic traits that allow the merging, and I have searched for such a long time. My love, while not perfect at the beginning, has now become so.

"I'll take that as a yes."

Now I was confused again. I thought I was a mutant.

You are, my love. However I have made you more than what you would have been.

'You changed me into a girl?' I thought.

No, your mutation chose this for you. I have enhanced your genetic structure to strengthen you, improve your immune system, and enhance your recuperative powers. This is the gift I bestow upon all of my hosts.

Tammy seemed to have following the gist of our conversation even though I was keeping quiet.

"Ask Sangria if your relationship is symbiotic."

After the relay she received her answer, I just wasn't sure if I was exactly thrilled.

Of course. We both benefit from our joining. My love gains moderate strengths above the human norm, my protection, and my affections. In return I gain the ability to feed and continue my life. Eventually I will integrate fully with her body. Our thoughts will become each other's, our desires will become one. As she evolves, so shall I.

I guess I was acting more than a little antsy, so Tammy changed the topic of discussion. "How much do you need to feed?"

Daily consumption is dependant on daily activity. At the moment I am satisfied with a few drops, however the more I have the stronger I can become or the longer I can go between feedings.

Tammy shrugged. "Makes sense I suppose. Somewhat like caloric intake." She looked at me. "Braith, we're in the mountains. There is tons of wildlife out there."

Good point.


~O~

The funeral was three in the afternoon at the family graveyard. Six generations of Brice are buried there. I knew my father planned to be beside my mother with a huge headstone that was only missing a date of death for him. He didn't want a big deal made of his death, electing to have a graveside service and no wake. This was probably a good idea considering that I was informed he was in no condition to be viewed.

Tammy and I were the first ones there. The funeral director didn't seem too pleased to find out I was Brice, which again took about fifteen minutes to prove with the provided agency numbers.

After asking her for some time to myself, I left Tammy at the back and went to sit at the small row in front that was set aside for family. I was the only living family now. No cousins, brothers, sisters, nothing. Nothing but Jeremy and now because of my change in gender, not even that. My boyfriend was purely in the gay category, not a bisexual bone in his body. There was no way he would want to be with me, especially now that I was a mutant.

A cold wind blew through the graveyard, working its way through the small portion of my leggings that was exposed. Bringing my knees together, they felt a little warmer.

I stared at the coffin, hovering above the open grave, held by some type of mechanism that would lower it after the service. Then I would never see my father again. Tears dropped unbidden down my cheeks and silently I thanked Tammy for making me take one of her handkerchiefs.

"Braith?"

Every muscle in my body tightened at the sound of Jeremy's voice. Sangria surged forward to provide my face with the maximum amount of coverage so that my face was relatively well hidden.

"Don't look at me, Jeremy."

"Is that really you?"

Who told him… Tammy, of course. "I'm a mutant. You don't want to be seen talking to me."

He ignored me. "Fuck them, Braith. I was going to come out of the closet anyway, after what we did on your birthday. I might as well be a mutant lover too."

Sangria relaxed and pulled away, letting him see me. "I'm a girl now, Jeremy."

"Yeah, kind of hard to miss."

We sat like that, quiet, for a few moments.

"I'm sorry about your dad."

I nodded.

He snuck his hand into mine and we sat like that through the service.


~O~

When we stood, I noticed exactly how much room there was between me and the other guests. Two rows worth. There were about fifteen other people standing in the back and on the sides. I suppose nobody wanted to sit near the freak. I could hardly blame them.

"I'll walk you to your car." Jeremy held my hand the entire way. When we reached Tammy's car I saw her waiting inside before turning to my soon to be ex-boyfriend.

Reaching up I fingered the platinum ring he had given me. "Would you like this back?"

He looked at it for a second before shaking his head. "If there was any way…"

"Stop, don't say anything else."

"I'm sorry, Braith."

Tears ran from under my sunglasses again. "Yeah, me too." Seeing his familiar posture, I knew he was about to give me a hug and I knew I wouldn't be able to take it, so I turned and got in the car as fast as I could."

"Braith…"

"Just go."

So I'm a crybaby.


~O~

I woke up the next morning alone. Tammy had other freaks to tend to, so I was left alone for most of the day. I hadn't had a decent shower in almost four days, not counting the washcloth and the sink at the hospital. Again, a new experience. Sangria reveled in the hot water using the soap liberally all over my body. I nearly laughed at the absurdity of the situation. I didn't need to do a thing but stand there and let my hair do the work for me.

There's a nagging question that's going through your head. No, I'm not psychic, just realistic. No, the hair down there does not have a mind of its own, since there is no hair down there. Feel satisfied knowing that?

Before grabbing the towel, Sangria shook itself dry much like a dog, whipping from the crown of my head and through its length in a matter of seconds. It held itself up while I dried off and grabbed my underwear. Tammy was right about one thing: the contrast between the black bra and thong was striking. Black was a good color on me.

I stopped and realized what I was thinking. Who gives a crap what looks good on me? The clothing was functional and practical, nothing else. A quick brush and rinse and I was out of the bathroom before I made anymore stupid observations.

Leggings, turtleneck, knee socks, boots, all were donned without thought. It was the necklace with Jeremy's ring that gave me pause. There was nothing extraordinary about it, just a simple platinum band, letting me know how my boyfr… my ex-boyfriend felt about me at one time.

Frowning, I pooled the chain in the palm of my hand and dropped it in my junk drawer. I grabbed my sunglasses and my gloves before heading downstairs.

Puttering around the kitchen, I found that nothing looked the least bit appetizing to eat. When I'd given up hoping for anything, I closed the refrigerator and was about to leave the kitchen. Sangria took that moment to lift a lock of hair in front of me. I stopped at watched it swirl in the air for a second before straightening and pointing.

Following its line I said, "The back door? You want to go outside?"

The lock of hair retreated and draped over my shoulder. "Okay, give me a second. I gotta grab my coat."

I had a sneaking suspicion about why my… what do you call something that's living in your body, or rather on top of my head. It called me its host. Did that mean that it was my parasite? There's got to be a better word than that. Anyway, I figured it was feeding time.

Armed with my coat and gloves against the December frost, I stepped outside and looked around. The dead grass, and everything else for that matter, was covered in a thin sheen of white. While there wasn't any sun worth mentioning, because of the cloud cover, there was a stiff wind that whipped at my face. Sangria closed in around my ears and cheeks to protect me from the worst of the bite. Donning the sunglasses helped my eyes.

"There's a cat around here somewhere that belongs to the Stensons over the ridge. Please don't eat it." An image of the black and white feline entered my head. "She hides out here sometimes when it gets cold. Pretty much anything else is fair game." No pun intended.

I'd like to tell you about our short lived hunting trip, but do you want to hear how my hair caught a family of squirrels that had made a home for themselves in a Red Oak, how Sangria shot up about ten feet, snatched the four of them, jammed my hair into their little chests and left their desiccated bodies at the base for other wildlife to feast upon?

Maybe you want to hear about how the fox that thought it was outfoxing us as it hid in a cluster of brush. Sangria tracked it every step of the way. Several strands of my hair disappeared into the brush. At least I didn't have to watch what happened that time. I'd heard plenty though.


~O~

Tammy called while she traveled in-between appointments. Were there that many mutants out there? She laughed at my comment. Apparently she provided other services. I didn't ask her to elaborate, since I wasn't really interested. I was informed that we would be going out again to pick up the necessities for living as a girl. While I didn't have a problem with being outside, I did have an issue with being stared at, which led me somewhere I hadn't been in three years, the basement.

The wooden stairs creaked as I made my way down into the rarely used portion of the house. You've heard tales of musty, dank, rat infested basements like in horror movies. Well, mine was just another room; it just happened to be located under the house. Dad and I used it mostly for storage, but he also came down when he missed Mom.

There was a recliner in one corner next to a couple of boxes with the tape torn off. It was obvious that he'd packed some of her stuff away and reopened the boxes to reminisce. Next to the recliner was a half full waste basket of empty beer cans.

"Aww, Dad."

The first year after Mom's death had been hardest on him. There wasn't a day that went by that he hadn't taken out most of a twelve pack of beer. Then one day out of the blue he stopped. Being a fourteen year old at the time, I really didn't have much say about how he lived his life. The insurance money and subsequent lawsuit against the negligent company that brought about Mom's accident paid off the house, not to mention the bills.

That left Dad with nothing to do once he was fired for drinking on the job. They weren't dicks about it. They understood why he was drinking and even tried talking him into counseling, but his refusal left them no other choice. Me? I knew he was being a man. You take care of your own problems, not pay a guy behind a desk to listen to them.

Eventually he came out from his funk. It was like night and day. He wasn't a dirty or mean drunk. Every day he'd get up shower, shave, put on a clean set of clothes and drink his breakfast. I never wanted for anything practical, and he even went out of his way to make sure I had some impractical things on my birthday and Christmas, hence the overly expensive sunglasses and the emergency credit card.

Looking at the crushed cans in the trash brought all of those memories back. When did he start drinking again? Or maybe he just never stopped drinking at all. It didn't really matter anymore, and that wasn't why I was down there in the first place.

Scanning the boxes stacked up against the wall, I found the one I was looking for labeled, 'Misc.' The rest were mostly clothes. Could I pull out her clothes and wear them now? Well, not only would that be majorly creeptastic, it also wouldn't be practical. Mom was a tiny woman. At thirteen, I was already taller than her and I was only five-three at the time. There was no way her clothes would fit me.

Unlike Dad, I wasn't a packrat. Sometime, probably that day, I'd start going through things and then contact Goodwill or something for hers and Dad's clothes.

Once I dragged the 'Misc.' box over to the recliner, I sat down and felt for my pocket knife. With a roll of my eyes I remembered I didn't have any pockets and my knife was upstairs on top of my desk. I didn't ponder on how to get the well taped boxed open for about three seconds before Sangria flung out a few strands and I watched as they whipped about the box.

"Um… thanks."

It was expertly cut, not digging into the cardboard like I always did. With that, the writing, the washing, I was coming to realize how much 'limber?' Sangria was. There was probably nothing I could do with my hands that it couldn't do better.

Not wanting to dwell on every item and relieve good and bad memories, I dug in and set aside what items I could use. Purses: I took the black ones that looked somewhat plain and medium sized, along with a pocketbook. It was still filled with Mom's ID, credit cards, pictures, and forty-seven dollars in cash and coin. I set aside the cards, and pictures of me, all except for one where I was in my little league uniform and Mom was hugging me from behind. I think I was about seven or eight when it was taken.

At the bottom were two of Mom's jewelry boxes which joined the stack before I closed everything back up. I had no use for scarves and there wasn't anything else of any value in there.

Taking the least feminine purse, if there was such a thing, I grabbed the pocketbook and headed back upstairs. I'd do the rest later.


~O~

Tammy arrived after lunch, where I still couldn't find anything appetizing to eat. Maybe I'd go out for a burger later if she didn't have me doing make up lessons or some equally inane task.

"Are there other things down there that you could use?" she asked when I told her about the purse.

I shrugged. "Dad kept all of her stuff."

She measured me for a moment before easing into a suggestion. "I could go down there and look through them for you if you'd rather not do it."

I nodded just to get her out of my hair. She gave me a gentle smile and set a sealed manila packet on the counter. "This is an information and enrollment package for Whateley Academy. It's a school that specializes in in teens like you."

"School?"

She nodded. "I know it's not first on your priority list of things to do, but eventually you'll need to go. They're about to let out for Christmas break. I'd like to have you enrolled for the Spring."

Ah. "Are you my guardian now or something?"

Tammy didn't look exactly comfortable when I asked that question. "Technically, you're a ward of the State. In cases like these I'm given a bit of latitude as to how that takes place."

Laying my hand on the package I frowned. "So, I either go to this mutant school or…" I left the end hanging there for her to finish.

"Go to Whateley, Braith. You'll learn about yourself and be surrounded by others like you."

That brought a bitter laugh out of me. "Other guys that have been changed into girls with blinding white skin and hair that talks to them?"

She shrugged. "Stranger things have happened." Before I could smart off again, Tammy added, "There will be other Avatars there, those that have Patrons such as Sangria, and if what it says is true then it might have already been to Whateley in the past."

Might as well put that question to rest. "Sangria, you know about this place?"

It sprang to life and whipped across the room to grab a pad and pen.

My previous host was, at one time, an instructor at Whateley from 1970-1973. I am very familiar with the campus, my love.

While I gambled on the chance that my… Patron (at least I know what to call it now) did know about it, I was forced into asking, "Should I go to school there?"

I will defer to your desires, my love, however it is always best to approach new challenges from a position of strength. Strength cannot be attained except by experience and knowledge.

This time I frowned. "I'll look it over, but I'm not promising anything."


~O~

It was a big bundle. At Sangria's request, I spread all of the admission forms out on the table and retrieved several pens. It was kind of funny to watch as it filled out the forms, seeing twelve different actions all at once. Talk about your multi-tasking. What I was wondering was, how in the hell did it know how to fill in the blanks? Were there eyes attached somewhere that I couldn't see?

Twenty minutes and a change out of all the forms and they were stacked neatly at the corner of the table, while I was looking over the pamphlets.

"It doesn't look like it sucks."

"It doesn't." Tammy had emerged from the basement with a single box. "I attended. Class of '97." She walked over and set the box down on the table, her eyes scanning the completed forms. "How…"

"Sangria helped."

She flipped through a few pages and then stopped, very interested in one in particular. "Sangria, how do you know these power levels?"

All of my hosts are exactly the same in that regard. As training and familiarity increases, so to other aspects.

"Powers?"

Tammy nodded. "According to your Patron, you are an Avatar-3, which was obvious. That's probably your sole trait; the rest being what Sangria is supporting you with through the symbiosis."

"What's an Avatar?"

"Basically it means that you have the ability to host a spirit, and depending on your power level, more than one."

I do not share my host with any other, mentor.

Tammy looked like she didn't know what to say to that. "Regen-3. That basically means that it's going to take a lot to keep you down. You can regenerate limbs if the need came up. Granted it takes a while, but as long as you don't incur any more damage, you could be up an about in a couple of weeks."

"Limbs?"

No permanent harm will come to you, my love, unless you wish it.

That got a cock-eyed look from me. "Why would I want to be harmed?"

Sangria didn't answer that one.

"It's given you TK powers too. That explains the whole moving around thing." Her eyes got big for a second. "With a Strength level of 3 and a Dexterity level - D."

She kept reading while I waited impatiently for an answer. "In English?"

Looking up at me, she shook her head. "Sorry, well if push comes to shove, it could probably hoist a small car up in the air, and then soon after paint your portrait. I figured the Dexterity was high since it could write and pierce your ears perfectly, but the strength is a lot more than I expected."

Uh… yeah. Shouldn't my hair be green then? Sorry, comic books joke. Topic change needed.

"What's in the box?"

I got the sly-eye from Tammy for that one. Okay, I wasn't a smooth talker. She set the paperwork down and looked inside. "I found some essentials that you'll need later. Plus some other things that you might grow into."

"You've got bigger bras in there?" I deadpanned.

"Costume jewelry, perfume, sanitary items, the makeup was mostly dried, but I did find two lipsticks that were salvageable, still in their original packaging."

With a sigh I pursed my lips. "I told you I'm not doing the girl route. Toss the makeup."

"Braith, I'm leaving it in there. You don't know what you'll want once Sangria and you merge mentally. Besides, it's not like you'd need to go the whole route. You won't be able to wear a lot of makeup, because of your coloring. Maybe some eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. That's about it." When she saw the rebellious look I was giving her she said, "Just keep your options open, that's all I'm saying."

Fine, she wanted to go down this road? "Tammy, are you straight?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Are you straight, heterosexual, do you go for guys only?"

She shrugged. "Well… yeah."

I nodded and then leaned over to unzip my boots.

"What are you doing?"

Once I slipped the first one off I set it to the side. "Getting undressed."

She dropped the lipstick she was holding into the box. "Why?"

"So we can have sex. I want you between my legs showing me how to enjoy having sex like a woman."

Now I was the victim of her annoyed glare. "Braith, it's not the same thing. Makeup has nothing to do with sexual preference."

I shook my head calmly. "Never said it did. But I do remember something I said about going against my nature. It's not in my nature to put on make up, high heels, a dress and go prancing around hoping to meet the right hetero guy to make all my wedding dreams come true."

She crossed her arms, and still held the glare. "When did I mention anything but makeup?"

I smiled knowingly. "Oh, that was the part you were going to add after I reluctantly agreed to take your advice about something that goes completely against my nature. So, with all of that mind, I'll make you a deal."

"I'll bite. What's the deal?" She was toying with me, appeasing me to see what I would say.

"I'll wear your makeup. Hell, I'll even go get my nails done and wear a skirt and heels. All you have to do is something totally against your nature." With that I spread my legs and pointed at my crotch. "Come on."

With that announcement, Tammy turned and grabbed her purse off the counter.

"What's the matter, Tammy. Am I too much of a freak? Is it the white skin or is it because I'm a girl? You'll eventually enjoy doing it, you implied as much yourself. All you have to do is try it."

I got up and followed her to the front door as she tried her best to make her stride nice and even.

"Braith, when you decide you want to act like an adult, give me a call."

Her hand was on the door knob when I pretty much all but exploded. "When did I ever claim to be an adult?!"

Sangria whipped out and grabbed her by the arm, spinning her around, then let go.

"I don't know if you've been keep up on current events, lady, but I just buried my father yesterday! And that wasn't all," I laughed and turned around, throwing my hand up in the air. "I find out I'm a fucking mutant, and a girl!" Spinning around, I pointed my finger at her. "And you! All of this is just another fucking day in the life!"

Something knocked me back, almost dropping me to my knees. I suddenly felt so lethargic. It was her. Her and her damn mutant power. Morphine. This time I did drop, but I fought it every step of the way.

Help…

I heard a muffled scream and the pressing sedation dropped away only to be replaced with a burning rage and a stabbing pain at the base of my skull. I was to my feet again and staring into the eyes of the mutant that assaulted me.

"Hear this, mentor. Use your talents on my host again and I will separate your head from your shoulders. Do we have an understanding, you and I?"

She nodded, or tried to nod rather, before another lance of pain jolted me. I blinked for a second and looked down at the floor where she lay virtually mummified in my hair. From shoulders to toe I couldn't see an inch of skin, and the only thing that was showing from the chin up were her eyes… her terrified eyes.

"Sangria, stop! Leave her alone!"

As you wish, my love. Her voice was as clear as day in my head. Yeah, I was right in saying 'her', Sangria was female.

In seconds my hair pulled back and Tammy was scrambling to her feet, pawing at the door. I stared to apologize, but didn't even open my mouth before my Patron cut me off.

Let her go, my love. She must ponder the futility of attacking you and I.

Standing at the door I saw Tammy trip in the yard before picking herself up and escaping to the safety of her car. The sun took that moment to break through the clouds, nearly blinding me in the process. I retreated further in the house and watched as she tore out of the driveway and disappeared.

Sangria closed the door while I blinked away the yellow spots in my vision.

You must wear your eye protection, my love, all of the time.

"You can talk to me?"

You were in danger. I will not permit anyone to harm you, and you required my assistance. Encouraging the progression of the bonding this way causes pain, that is why I choose the long integration.

That must have been the stabbing pain in my head. It was now a dull ache, hopefully nothing that a couple of aspirin couldn't take care of.

Your regenerating ability is taking care of the problem, my love. You've no need to pollute your body with foreign substances.

My thoughts drifted back, playing over what I said and what Tammy said. "I overreacted, but so did she."

Your mentor was under no threat. She had no reason to use her talent. However uncomfortable it is to hear someone yell, you had more than enough reason to do so.

I waved off the excuse. "That doesn't mean it was right, Sangria. I need to call her and apologize."

As you wish, my love.

I subconsciously reached down to my front pocket for my cell before I realized that it was in my purse upstairs. I've got to get some jeans or something, this was getting annoying. Instead I went over to the counter and used the land line.

Tammy's phone rang and rang before switching over to voicemail.

"Tammy, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled." A few beats passed like I was waiting for a response. "I'm just… I'm having a hard time dealing with all of this, and getting me to accept being a girl right now isn't the way to go about making me feel better." Another pause passed. "I can't apologize for Sangria. She thought she was protecting me." I really hate voice mail. "I'm sorry for the whole thing."

Fifteen minutes was all the reprieve that I was apparently due.

Our physical integration is complete, my love.

I blinked after staring at nothing in particular. "What's that mean?"

It means that we share our senses. I feel what you feel, hear what you hear. Taste, smell, see what you see. All of this we share with one another.

I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about that. "So that's it then?"

It is the beginning. Within the next few months, we will share a stronger emotional and mental connection until we are as one mind, separate but one.

Panic should have set in at that moment, but considering what my life had become over the last few days, Sangria was the only friend and guardian I could count on. Nothing seemed to matter but my well being and happiness to her.

As it should be, my love.


~O~

Two hours later and I still hadn't heard anything back from Tammy. Maybe she was well and truly pissed or terrified of me; it was a toss up. That just brought thoughts of paranoia to mind. What if she washed her hands of me and called in the State. Would they send other mutants to lock me away? Would they just kill me outright for what happened? I'd seen mutants on TV that they chased down. Was it the same thing, a misunderstanding gone wrong?

The only thing that came to mind was 'prepare for the worst, hope for the best.'

With that at the forefront I donned my boots and raced upstairs. Opening my closet I pulled out my backpack and tossed it on the bed. The duffel was next. Upending it I tossed out all of the clothes. The only thing left were my amenities. I had three sets of clothes that were clean. I'd have to keep up on the wash or buy new ones on the run.

More problems popped up. Money. I had access to it if needed, but I knew from the movies that the government loved to freeze people's bank accounts.

Have no fear of that, my love. If need be I have ways to make sure you are taken care of.

"Hair has a bank account somewhere?"

I almost thought I heard a giggle in my head.

Have you forgotten my previous hosts? I know all that they knew, including their financial arrangements, places to hide, access to vehicles. Pack only what you wish to not lose. The rest will be provided.

Well, I'd like not to lose my house, but that's a little impractical, not to mention that it wouldn't fit in the duffle.

Consolidating Mom's jewelry into one box, I stuffed that at the bottom, on top of the single bath towel. My clothes went next. I retrieved the box that Tammy brought up from the basement and went through that next.

Tampax? Oh hell. That thought hadn't even occurred to me. Sangria helped out while I was in denial. I don't even remember how I moved from room to room, but when she was done, I was standing there with a full duffle that weighted about fifty pounds.

"I can't carry that for long."

You need not concern yourself. I will bear the burden.

I nodded and grabbed my backpack before heading downstairs and setting everything by the basement door, along with my jacket and purse.

"What next?"

Contact your mentor once more. If she still shows no signs of reconciliation then we shall flee until we know better her intentions.

I tried her on my cell phone this time. Still no answer. Folding the cell closed I sighed and looked around. This all might be gone before I'm able to return. My throat tightened. It's all gone to shit.

While I walked around to take a last look at my home, I stopped at my dad's room. His bed was neatly made and his slippers sat there on the floor beside. I eyed the gun cabinet for a moment. I couldn't take one of the shotguns, but dad had a pistol.

I am all the protection you will ever need, my love.

Crossing the floor I opened the cabinet. "I trust you, Sangria, but you never know what's out there, and maybe I'll have a chance to protect you too. There was only two boxes of ammo for the .40 Smith & Wesson, but there were five clips, plus the one already loaded in the gun itself. That took care of one box. The other would have to be my only back up. Spending the time to load each magazine gave me a moment to clear my mind.

The things that brought memories of my father were now cherished. He would take me out every Saturday, rain or shine, to the shooting range. That was since I was nine. Every boy should know the proper way to handle a firearm. Before he would even let me see a weapon I had to memorize ten rules. If I ever broke any of the rules I would never see another gun again. That was more then enough reason to listen to every word he said.

With just a whisper I repeated the rules, as I had to before each time we opened the gun case. "Treat every weapon like it is loaded." On and on I repeated the mantra while until I finished filling the last magazine. After tossing the empty cartridge box in the waste basket, I pulled out the gun case for Dad's pistol, and opened it. A single loaded magazine lay beside the well oiled M & P.

I couldn't use my regular holster; that required a belt to attach it to. Dad had a Velcro shoulder holster that he wasn't too fond of, but it would be very adjustable to my smaller body. It would have to do.

"Sangria, could you give me a hand?"

My hair took charge and had me fitted in about fifteen seconds. Methinks that she's done this more than once.

Lacy, two hosts previous, was military minded. She loved her weapons.

Closing the gun case, I returned it to its proper place and then grabbed the gun cleaning kit. It wouldn't really do me any good to have a weapon if it wasn't kept clean.

"I'd like to hear about your previous hosts."

When we have time, my love, I promise.

I nodded and went to retrieve my backpack. The outer pocket was emptied into the duffle and I stored the spare clips and cleaning case there. When that was done I snapped the last magazine into the pistol, jacked in a round and holstered the weapon. It felt ridiculous hanging under my arm, like I was trying to live a cop drama on TV. That I was dressed in black didn't help the image in my mind. Now all I needed was some ninja throwing stars and a katana then the cliché would be complete.

Actually a sword would be pretty cool.

I am all the protection you will ever need.

I smiled at that. "So you said before."

A loud knock sounded from downstairs. My hand twitched to the pistol, but if it was Tammy I didn't want to send her running again. Hurrying as fast and as quietly as I could downstairs.

"Can you reach my coat from here?"

I felt my hair moving again as I looked through the peephole. It was Tammy, but she wasn't standing in front of the door. She was out in the yard. Sangria held my coat for me as I put it on and slung the backpack over my shoulder.

I nearly shit myself when someone, other than Tammy, knocked on the door, louder this time.

The person is to the left of the door where you will not be able to see. Respond, but do not open the door.

I normally keep the doorknob locked during the day, which it was already, but for just a little added protection, I eased the deadbolt closed.

"Who's there?"

"Braith, it's me, Tammy," I heard her call out.

"Hi Tammy. Thanks for returning my calls."

There are three of them, not including your ex-mentor. Do not fear, my love.

Not receiving any response back from her this time I went ahead and blew their cover. "Your friends are trespassing on private property. This is your only warning. Leave!"

A crash of glass in the adjacent living room and I drew the pistol, but like Sangria said before. I already had all the protection I needed. She reached out, quicker than the nimble little sword-wielding fucker that just ruined my front window, and countered a cutting move with one of her own… well actually, with about seven or eight of her own.

He dropped to the floor sans the sword arm, his head, and both legs. It was over so fast that I didn't even have a chance to tell him to freeze. As I was standing there, in shock, Sangria gathered the pieces and tossed them back outside, while other strands of her hair absorbed the blood covering the floor.

That's when I almost lost my lunch, if I had eaten any that is. She spun me around and I watched as two pencil sized strands of hair literally punched through the wall to the left of the door and then a half second later, pulled back through covered in blood. A single ear piercing scream followed that one.

The door exploded inward. Luckily, I wasn't standing in front of it this time.

Brace yourself, my love.

Sangria picked me up, and don't ask me how because I was kind of losing my mind at the time, but she ran outside with me. I felt hair covering all of my body, cocooning me safely in her grasp. A few seconds later it was over and she released her hold on portions of me.

Tammy was in her car, screaming. The engine was running and I could hear tires squealing but her car wasn't going anywhere.

Sangria punched a whole through the hood of the car, killing the engine. The driver's side door was next, pulled right off of the car and Tammy retrieved and tossed, less than gracefully to the ground.

"I warned you about harming my host!" I heard myself yell.

Tammy scrambled backward, crying. "It wasn't my fault! I made my report and they insisted you were too dangerous. Please!"

Sangria bound her arms to her torso and wrapped her neck with my hair.

"Wait."

She will bring more, my love. We cannot let her live.

"And you don't think they won't send more when the ones we killed don't report in?"

I could almost feel Sangria's reluctance, but she withdrew everything from Tammy except from around her neck. Hauling her up from the ground I heard my ex-mentor gagging before she was held in front of me.

"I should let her, you know." I felt dead inside. Even if I wasn't the one that personally killed three people, I might as well have been. "She warned you. Then you bring them to my home."

"You can't run, Braith, they'll find you." Her voice sounded raw, tear-filled.

"Maybe. But then I was raised in these mountains. I know caves that aren't on any map. They'll have a hell of a chase on their hands."

"You won't win."

I smiled and closed in on her face. Lifting my sunglasses, I stared her in the eye, letting her see the red of mine as I narrowed my lids against the afternoon sun. "I don't have to win. I just have to make sure you don't."

Tammy struggled against the hair wrapped around her throat. "Let me go, Braith."

With a single thought, I sent out a whip of hair and struck her across the face. "You don't give me orders, Tammy. You've destroyed my life, made me a killer, took away the only home I had left in the world. Now the only thing I have is my memories and Sangria."

I sighed with resignation. "Maybe that's all I ever needed." Turning away from her, I lowered my sunglasses and hung my head. "You'll need your energy, my love. Go ahead and feed."

Sangria purred in my mind. As you wish, my love.

The End, for now.

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OMG

She is still alive and pecking away at the keys. I don't know if she finished her other project and got back to we poor fans, or if she dug one out of the file to placate us while she is still busy with paying projects and real life. Either way, I'm gonna kick back and try to enjoy this one. Good to hear from you.

just finished reading the story. WOW! Talk about powerful. I don't know who to feel sorry for, or who to be angry at. The action never slows down and you don't know when to grab a breath, until the end.

Oh Lilith, as to FUBAR...

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Lilith,

If memory serves me the character FUBAR - in the Whateley universe - lives in a pit in the sub-basement of Hawthorne Cottage.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

FUBAR comes by his name quite honestly

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Lilith,

For more info you should read the first couple of combined-author stories of the Whateley universe about the beginnings of Team Kimba. Their first detention in Hawthorne Cottage introduces FUBAR.(I'm pretty sure that those stories are the origin of the character FUBAR. The acronym is MUCH older though, an old US military acronym if I'm not too mistaken - the US military is abolutely GAGA about/for acronyms.)

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Close... but no cigar!

PattieBFine's picture

Fubar is not quite that.... polite? As a former USArmy SGT, I am familiar with this statment.... I PO'ed quite a bit of the brass, But as I ran the communications dept at the time, and they needed me more than I needed them?... They just were not happy campers, as I had a brown BDU Tee with that written right acrossed the front of it in big black letters.... I thought it fit me quite well at the time! :-)

Language - particularly swear words

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi All,

I've thought this a few times and it just now struck me again that we English speakers (Especially USA english speakers) are REALLY idiotic. We use as swear words; nouns, adjectives and verbs that have to do with the most beautiful and satisfyingly fulfilling act there is, namely the expression of physical love, whether between two (or more)people or practiced in solitary homage to one's ideal.

I propose, from this day on, we use as swear words the names of our most disgusting politicians. i.e. "This George W. Bushy pencil doesn't write worth a Ronald Reagan!" or for Canadians; "You can shove that Brian Mulronyish Ford Explorer right up your Steven Harper!"

In this way we would not profane one of our most sublime acts of pleasure, but aim our displeasure at not only the primary focus, but at George Bushish politicians, simulatiously.

Just a thought.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

YAY!

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you left the door open for further chronicles of Braith and Sangria...

Roomies!

PattieBFine's picture

now, Sara is about the safest person for a roomate for this one... remember, space is limited, and only few get solo bunk space. Now, Sara being a love... Humm... she could well introduce this new girl into the joys of sex as a girl!?

Once marked By Sara... nature ver. nurture... stand boy in front of her... Sara does lust boost... palvo-dog-treatment! Fix her right up?

Now, also consider, one bit of that hair gets near her... gets turned to dust, good way to umm... disapline, err dis-spline it?

They do share the fact that when woken as mutants, they took a few lives in the process... Sara didn't get the mutant-hunt-thing... And, as the gov bitch drew first? got hands/mind tricks slapped-down HARD... went crying to mommy...

Sounds like bringing a social worker was ass-cover for the two who attacked her. Umm... she kinda-shoulda left that one still standing though? ( see, I'm not blood thirsty, just protecting my ass here? ) The return was to take her out, when all she did was make her mentor pee herself!? She hadn't hurt anyone... umm.. yet? evil smile..

cooler heads need to be in the loop... she's a good canidate for opposing the evil forces building to attack Whatley, I should think... or would that be a tainted blood issue?

too many questions NEED ANSWERS!! GARRR!

PS... I haven't added chapters to my current ones, as I've been mired in whole new story... and it's not chapterized, my muse does as it pleases, I have no control over it, sorry! ;-)

Definitely an interesting

Definitely an interesting twist on the Whateleyverse. Can't say that I like the very end 'feeding', however. That implies that he's not just a killer, but now a murderer. They'd hunt him/her anyway, for the deaths of the first two, but whacking her takes it up a level.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I had a feeling not everyone

I had a feeling not everyone would be pleased with the end. Very unsatisfying from a lot of angles, but then again it was a anti-hero/villain story. There was a third person that died before Tammy did. But Braith was wrapped up in Sangria at the time, so you didn't get to see the social-worker-puree made of him.

Lets say, for argument's sake, that something were to happen where Braith and Sangria wound up at Whateley, in Poe (which I already have a storyline in my head that could go that direction.) Then all of the sudden... Hmmm, a murderer in Poe. Hmm. Who would be her roomie? Would she be in Team Kimba? I kind of see her as not wanting to be involved at first. What would Chou Lee's Tao have to say with having her under the same roof?

Then again she may just wind up keeping the wildlife in the Kentucky mountain range in check.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Sorry

Braith wouldn't be in Poe, Lilith. Mrs. Carson would take a look at Sangria, and know she's lethal, so they'd be in I believe it's Hawthorne, the cottage Carson tried to put Wraith in -- the one for the most dangerous students.

Perhaps. I haven't seen Mrs.

Perhaps. I haven't seen Mrs. Carson's powers explained. Is she psychic or something that she can tell? Because there are a number of VERY lethal people in Poe at the moment. Something about someone's blood having anti-matter in it, another that carries a sword around, etc. Can she tell if someone is a murderer? If so then Chou is in deep crap.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Which cottage for which student?

First, let me tell you that I greatly enjoyed this story. A bit darker than Whateley canon, but I like it that way.

Now, to the cottages:
Students are usually assigned to cottages according to gender and appearance (serious GSD cases are "hidden" in cottages deeper in the school area). Special cases are

1) Poe, the cottage for the cases with complicated sexuality. Including those who got a gender change from their mutation. Happens to be the home of Team Kimba, so it gets a large amount of attention in the stories. If no one knew about the massacre, that's where Braith/Sapphire would end up.

2) Hawthorne, the cottage for students who have uncontrolled, dangerous powers or need special life support. It is, however, not meant to be a prison. Attempted murder gets you handed over to the MCO. For precedent, see Ayla 7 where the guys who rigged the sims end up in MCO cells.

Edit:
If the officially verdict was that Braith/Sapphire acted in self defense, she might still end up at Whateley. Probably Hawthorne.

Hawthorne is for the people

Hawthorne is for the people that can't control their powers and/or pose a significant danger to others, etc. If Braith were to be "innocent" she'd be no more dangerous than a large number of students there. I can't see placing her there simply because she 'might' be dangerous.

Contrary to what some people have assumed, it has not been proven that Sangria is "Evil". She has only acted aggressively toward those that are threatening her host. Even Tammy was a threat at the end. Just because she has gross dietary habits doesn't make her evil... poor Sangria. (sniff) She's so misunderstood. ;)

Is there a reason she can't go to Whitman? I'll have to read up some more and see.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

And that...

...is what pushes this story, in my opinion, over the line into tragedy. Sangria has appeared so far not to be evil re the perspective of a wider social morality (or, at least, not too evil), just amoral. Sangria's focus, so far, has been on preservation of and further integration with her host, and while there are hints and implications of something darker, they haven't been as fully established as people have made them out to be. Maybe in future stories... *looks hopeful*

Thanks, Lili! This was a wonderful, ugly, beautiful, sad, scary story. Braith is a wonderful anti-hero, and gets an interesting anti-happy anti-ending. ^__^ Very well done.

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Housing shortage

You have to remember there is a shortage of available room in Poe, at least on the freshman level (Freshman not necessarily the grade they are in), so it would likely be one of the cottages. As she isn't necessarily a threat to herself or other, it is unlikely she would be in Hawthorn (the cottage FUBAR resides in, in a pool in the basement). I would also think that Carson would recognized Sangria as she has been to the school before, so she would be aware of her needs and limitations.

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=12...

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

From what I've read, there

From what I've read, there is a canon discrepancy on this point. One says 60% full (this is probably the entire cottage) the other says that it's pushing its limits already. For as big as this universe is, I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more discrepancies with so many canon writers. They've kept it pretty darn tight. Kudos to them.

I've also read somewhere that Whitman is for the brainy girls, and confirmed that there are a boat load of gender changed students all over the place. So, I've narrowed it down between the two (Poe and Whitman) if she goes there at all, that is.

I'll have to check and see exactly who was there (staff wise) at the time, before committing on who knows whom. I can't assume that all the staff has been there from the beginning, but don't know if their resumes are in any of the stories. Again, more reading must be done.

Regardless, there's bound to be records of some type, so they'll know her.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Room availability

It was mentioned in one of the Ayla stories that there are rooms available in Poe, but everyone keeps quiet about them.

After all, if the wider campus knew there were spare rooms available in Poe, it could compromise the cottage's secret (although it is the LGBT cottage, to protect the occupants it is heavily guarded by wards, and there's an official rumour it's for the headcases)

As for new students, they like to keep to the two students per room rule, which means that singles are only allocated if the new student cannot be housed elsewhere.

Ayla got away with a single for several weeks because Chou was expected at the start of term, but due to her unconventional travel methods, arrived late. Sara was given the Lovecraft Room (a single, with extra warding, in the basement) due to special circumstances (when she first arrived, she was sensitive to light. Since Halloween, the room itself has been discovered to be sentient and located in a different dimension - hence the door sometimes appears in Poe, sometimes in Hawthorne, and has even appeared in the tunnel between the two).

Changelings can be found in cottages other than Poe - Sandra (Diamondback) over in Whitman is a prime example - and has GSD to boot.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Sangria.

I wonder about how many of her hosts were considered bad guys (girls). This one has no compunctions about protecting her host by any means required. Hopefully there will be more of this one and some answers to a few questions raised in this story so far.

Well...

Seeing how devoted Sangria is keeping her hosts in one piece and the blood thing I would hazard a guess that she wouldn't be a hero! Someone was asking what if Sarah had a roomie. Here's a candidate!

Hugs!

Grover

Isn't there someone who eats

Isn't there someone who eats live animals at Whateley, in Poe. I thought I read that somewhere. The blood wouldn't be an issue, unless Sangria had to have a late night snack... and Sarah was looking tasty... who's Sarah.. God I have a boatload of reading to do if she winds up at the Academy.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Sara

Sara is the entity who eats the life force of other creatures. She is a young GOO. Like her dad, Gothmog, she is a lust demon. Some cultists worship her as the Kellith. Sara is blood sister to Fey, an extremely powerful Sidhe Mage.

While obviously powerful, Sangria would have a snowball's chance in Hell against Sara.

G/R

More white chicks?!

Hold on (checking the Whateley Wiki)... Sara has Alabaster White skin and Blood red hair. (facapalm) Well, Braith is whiter... They could be sisters. (groan) (Sara has tentacles and Braith has tentacle-like hair, okay maybe half sisters... distant cousins... passing acquaintances?) I obviously need to go read more. OH! I've already inadvertently set this up! When Tammy told Braith that there would be others like her at school. Am I psychic or what!!?!

Can you just see that scene? Them meeting, I mean. Ah, good times.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Convergent Evolution

Lili,

Very different origins, a GOO and an avatar + spirit, that lead to highly similar appearances and behaviors.

G/R

Good question.... and also

Good question.... and also one I can't answer. ;) There's still lots of different ways to take this. She could be totally evil and bloodthirsty, but why would one of her hosts be teaching at Whateley in the '70's and not cause an uproar? So there would have to be a balance of some type, good, evil, indifferent.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Balance is Chou's schtick

Diesel Driver's picture

Chou Li is the handmaid of the Tao and is the agent of Balance between good and evil. So if Braith/Sangria is one or the other then something will need to balance her in the scheme of things. If she is both, then she could possibly be her own balance.

Chris in CA

Chris

And that's not even the half of it

So we have an emotionally disturbed kid who just lost his only family that has bonded with a powerful spirit. SHE over reacted but tried to apologize but mentor decide to follow the book instead knowing what was going to happen. Can we say bad call? Sure the MCO can drop a couple of Dropship loads of Power Armor on the mountain but like Johnny Rambo they better bring a lot of body bags. SHE knows the area intimately and the terrain will keep them from massing to overwhelm her with numbers. Oh and I wouldn't count on their armor as being resistant to that hair. Worse, the spirit has several lifetimes of military experience to call on. If the Dragon Slayers were still about this would be a mission for them and one I dare say they would be making very sour faces about.

The next best thing would be a superteam, but after finding out the details I say they wouldn't be happy either. Sure let's push someone who has been though what she has against the wall and see what happens. It also occurs to me that no one searched out Sangria's history or they would know not to push her in the middle of integration. Another note about Morphine. While she might be able to work with new mutants, she was completely clueless about someone dealing with the tragic loss of their family.

Wow! Lilith you have my attention with this one!

Hugs!

Grover

(facepalm) I had to create a

(facepalm) I had to create a character that is the mutant equivalent of Rambo. Can't you just see Braith and Sangria camouflaged in mud sticking to the side of the mountain and here sneaks a Power Suit guy.

Braith screams out the window of his chopper and half of Vietnam falls down and dies. Hold on getting in the chopper might be problematic with all of that hair flapping about.

I'm kidding. You are exactly right though. She would rule the mountain for a while.

Morphine was a bureaucrat deep down. All bureaucrats dies horrible deaths in my stories... along with the politicians as well. I'm glad you noticed that nobody looked Sangria up. That would make a fine beginning to a second story. I'm sure she might of had friends that are still around the Academy, maybe? A certain head of security that maybe had an affair with the previous host, maybe? That would be telling.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Morphine

Morphine was a bureaucrat deep down. All bureaucrats dies horrible deaths in my stories...

Where have you been all of my life???? ;-)

Love the story.

I hated being a bureaucrat.

Diesel Driver's picture

I wanted to be a car mechanic when I was in high school. Ended up as an electronics technician in the Air Farce, er, Force. Worked in factories as a tech for awhile and ended up the last 25 years of my working career as a government bureaucrat. But I'm retired, can I live please? Maybe I could have an origin or late life mutation and become a anti-bureaucrat?
Chris in CA

Chris

Clever mix of humor, sarcasim, mind/body posession & vampirism?

Hum, this one has my Whateley gears a-spinning.

Avatars are not uncommon at Whateley what with Maggie's own Fey, all those Greek gods avatars like Feral, and The Champion Force not to mention fan fic and Itinerant's Ma'at with Dani the chosen representative of the great Egyptian goddess of order.

I suspect Sangria is not a nice character or is at best amoral. For one she keeps calling him, well her now, her *love* or whatever and that they don't need anyone else. It's like she's trying to seduce her host. Note she said her host can near always recover from an injury UNLESS she chooses not to. Given that Whateley goes back to aprox 1969 and Sangria seemed to admit she'd been at Whateley at least twice, her hosts don't seem to live very long. Mind you an early Whateley story said most mutants had a life expectancy of only thirty until recently, thus the need for Whateley.

Does Sangria trick/manipulate her host into becoming like a vampire, note she seems to have little appetite but Sangria sure pigged out on wildlife and the hit squad. Did her previous hosts get captured or injured so severely Sangria bailed on them? Did they commit suicide to rid themselves of Sangria and her isolating and murderous ways? Letting Sangria desiccate Morphine, which I assume is what will happen, is a BIG mistake. Sangria has manipulated her host into trusting no one, note she was already a person with few friends beforehand. Seems she was the *perfect* host, easy to isolate and manipulate. Also note when Morphine mentioned some Avatars can hold multiple sprits Sangria said she did not share?

How much is truth and how much is lies/half truths Sangria is feeding her host?

Maybe I am wrong but Sangria seems predatory and a domina.

Poor child.

Great tale.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Liked your hint in comments that no one bothered to look up Sangria or contact Whateley about her. We know little about her. For all we know she is as much a victim as her hosts. If she is not lieing about fully integrating with her hosts mind, what if one previous host was a psychopath? Think the Trill symbiot on DS9 and the unstable host that stole it and commited murder to do so in it's past. If it is the eventual sum of it and it's host's memories then a evil host would taint it while a good host might get overwhelemed by the bad inflences ... or not. Clever this.

John in Wauwatosa

Regarding Avatars- I've

Regarding Avatars- I've noticed that a lot of Avatars at Whateley are pretty powerful, or their spirits are anyway. I wanted to make one that wasn't so much mystically powerful as she was physically, if that makes sense. There won't be any magic coming from Sangria.

As shown so far, I think amoral describes her the best. She has very few priorities: Protect and nurture her host, and to feed. She could be leading Braith down the path of evil, but there's just not enough to judge by at this point. I do like how you have picked up on all the little clues I've left: Braith's lack of eating, the injury thing, the parallels to vampirism, the lack of knowing how or why her hosts died.

There are answers to all of these questions. But that will have to be answered next time. I still haven't come to a decision as to her moral standing at the moment. I remember reading in the Whateley Forums that there didn't seem to be a true Anti-Hero in the 'verse. I might go that way. Or, I might make her a Villain. I think it might be interesting to have true bad guy amongst those of high moral fiber in Poe.

Then again maybe an Anti-Hero out there taking on the Villains or the MCO when needed would be the ticket.

I guess the main problem I'd have with having her at the Academy would be, what the heck would they teach her? it would be a while before Braith and Sangria can act in concert with each other, but Sangria is way deadly enough on her own, with years, decades, or even centuries of experience (we just don't know... well, I do.) ;)

I'm thinking a serious Achilles heel is needed. Perhaps something that makes her Frizz. that would explain why she's in the mountains! It's the humidity of the coastal areas that she's staying away from. It leaves her frizzy, limp, and lifeless.

Lastly, I like your parallels to DS9. I remember the episodes. I think it's safe to assume that she's come across some not-so-sane people in the past.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

what would they teach her at Whately?

That's easy. They'd teach her how to live with a powerful symbiont in her head, without going completely nuts.

If she doesn't get that help, I'm concerned that it would increasingly be the Sangria show, with Braith along for the ride, increasingly unable to assert herself. Sangria's got the experience of many prior lives, and I'm sure would have no problem manipulating 16-year old Braith as required.

Whether the pair become good or bad, I'd think the balance has to be kept. Maybe Braith finds the inner resources to cope on her own, but hey, Braith at Whately would make a great story :)

I could easily see somebody finally doing their homework on Sangria and realizing Braith is just a victim. Certainly, up until the death of Morphine, it could be argued the pair had been acting in self-defense.

Also, I suspect it will be very hard to be an interesting villain (or hero) if you leave them huddled alone in a backwoods Kentucky mountain cave :)

Avatars learn to deal with

Avatars learn to deal with their spirit. Fair enough.

It's real easy to be a Anti-Hero in the mountains. That's where some of the American Folk Heroes came from. Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, to name a couple. It's all in the way you present the conflict. I've learned early on not to discount ideas that sound invariably stupid at first.

Editor: They sparkle?
Stephine Meyer: Yeah, is that cool or what?
Editor: No, it's not cool. It's stupid.
Stephine Meyer: Really?
Editor: Really. Emo vampires that sparkle? Who would read that?

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Achilles Heel?

There are many possible, and you have already made a groundwork for one of them. Foreign substances. It is a plot point in many vampire tales that by drinking from a contaminated source (drunkard, drug user...) the vampire becomes contaminated.

I also wonder - indeed it is not known how Sangria's former hosts died, but if they commited suicide she was unable to stop them. Perhaps ultimately Sangria has only as much true power over host as they are willing to give her. After all, Sangria does follow mental commands from Braith. That slap on the Morphine's cheek was all Braith. I gather she may act 'on assumptions' but can't directly oppose the host.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

You're a very shrewd mammal.

Please note, that the non-answer our highly esteemed authoress has given can relate to either one or to both musings in my own comment. And, since 'for future plot revelations' she 'cannot comment on the above'... ^_~

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

An Achilles heel?

I thought you'd already given away her weakness:

"You must wear your eye protection, my love, all of the time."

If a Regen-3 gets continual pain from sunlight, then it's got to be a weakness of some form. Ok, it hurts Braith's eyes, but how does it affect Sangria? Does sunlight weaken her directly, or only indirectly, like maybe causing her to go through blood faster? Did previous hosts eject her by lying out in the sun, starving her until she released her hold on them?

Too many options! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ooooh, I agree, a Regen 3 but sun sesntive eyes?

Sounds like Sangria has some of the legendary weaknesses of a vampire.

I wonder, did any of her prior hosts survive casting her off ... is it enevitably fatal? The key I suspect is to do it soon before the minds are too interconected. That and don't let your body get too dependent on Sangria's blood sucking for food. May be if you deny her the time to hunt and spend a lot of time under strong lights and the sun the host might wield more influence. But how do you keep Sangria from listening in? For that matter what is she, a space allien? Anchient Earth creature? A cursed former mutant? What? And can Sangria be influenced to be more moral and not the intellgent amoral *animal* she seems to be so far.

Sangria is rational, very intellegent. There must be a way to convince her to take a less bloodthirsty path through life. If only she can be convinced a less ruthless life would be ultimately better for her and her host(s). And why did she say her avatar hosts only host her, they don't share? Is that a way to get free from her, find another spirit to kick Sangria out?

If she gets to Whateley, either Hawthorn as a potential ultraviolent or Poe's basement with Sara and Hippolita and other ultra powerful genderchangers.

I still say letting Sangria kill Morphine is a BIG mistake. Then does Sangria always kill her prey or can she stop part way as a warning? Morphine was stupid but I believe her when she said she didn't mean to hurt her, just reported Sangria and her hosts dangerous actions.

Hum, in consuming/killing or partially kiling an intelegent creature, IE a hunan mutant can Sangria pick up any new knowledge or powers? Or are they just food?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I have to agree

This eye sensitivity is not a usual trait, but it can be explained by eyes inherently geared for low vision situations. For example, I have read one of the more recent Pern stories where the sight of the watch-whers is described as mostly in the infrared spectrum, and the sunlight is very painful to them. And don't forget, Regens are not unaffected, it's that they recover quicklier and more completely.

Convincing Sangria? I think it is very much possible, even if it may require an object lesson. Sangria attempts to make its host self-sufficient, relying only on oneself and (mostly) Sangria. One of the more convincing ways is to disable Sangria's powers for a duration, another is to simultaneously spike the blood intake requirements. Or (more vile one) make the latter so that Sangria is forced in one of two extremes - complete passiveness or continual bloodfrenzy.

While we know very little about Sangria, her intense desire to rely only on oneself may be dictated by being burned more than once.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Nothing against Twilight, but...

I'm not saying that any of this would work or anything, but being out in the wilderness kind of guarantees Sangria with an pretty wide supply of untainted food in the wildlife. So unless the MCO wanted to poison all of the creatures in the area...

But I do think that you have the right idea about Regen 3's They just heal quicker, it doesn't mean they are harder to injure. And just because there has been so much talk about it and I have received a lot of emails overnight, I'll steer you away from the undead vampire thing. Braith is quite alive, and not a vampire with Sangria in lue of pointy teeth.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Again ...

Well, Lilith, you've done it again. You've started something extra ordinary, and you've left us all hanging on, desperate for your next chapter. So, what will it cost me to have any one of the four or five stories you've got me hooked on actually progress to a finish? The Center? Ares Bane? What Transpires at Night? Um ... name a price; I'll see if I can find a way to pay it.

Seriously, thanks for the entertainment, and I'm glad to see that you're not dead (or undead).

See the blog for progress

See the blog for progress updates on future chapters of ongoing stories. Link below.

I'm glad I'm not dead too. Thanks! Undead might not be so bad depending on the method.

Now, as to prices... I'm always up for some freshly baked bread or maybe a new outfit. My fuzzy pink rabbit slippers are looking a little worn. ;)

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Unfinished symphonies

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Lilith,

I too have been very saddened by the number of unfinished works of art you have shown us. If freshly baked bread will do the trick, I'm afraid you would need to visit me here in Winnipeg. I LOVE to bake bread but sending it to you would firstly require your address and secondly some form of "Star Trek" matter transporter, otherwise it couldn't possibly be freshly baked any more.(Though I do have a bread maker - I prefer to do it all by hand - I like to experiment and the machine is WAY too fussy about proportions to allow experimentation.)

Thanks for this and all your other works.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

And yet I've written so many

And yet I've written so many finished stories as well, that nobody ever mentions. However, it's a 'what have you done for me lately' world, so I shouldn't take this personally. As to the bread... I heard that there was a transporter being made in Europe somewhere. Maybe they'll let me use it. I have some fresh local honey that I can bring along, nothing better. Sigh.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Nightmares

Well, that's an interesting story, but I must admit you almost gave me nightmares, or something very difficult to try to sleep on. I didn't expect the last action, and you have certainly surprised me here, but I'd still rather I didn't read this part. It kind of makes me sick. How can Braith can let her hair do that to someone who helped her?

Sure, she perhaps was a bureaucrat, but last time I checked, that wasn't a crime, or even immoral. I'd say this is a plot of Sangria to cut Braith from any external help, and be her sole companion, and the only person to influence her.

Please, next time you tell us about Braith and Sangria, give us good news.

Mildred

Sorry about the nightmares.

Sorry about the nightmares. I thought of putting a violence tag on the story, but declined in lue of a PG-15 rating. If I had gone into more detail about the bodies or blood I would have included it.

Bureaucrat=immoral it's the way things are. At least in my head. The same with politicians. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they would be the exception and not the rule. Did Tammy deserved to be sucked dry for the role she played in the end? Probably not, but then it wouldn't have as dramatic or horrifying either.

Good news in the future? Maybe.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I'm not sure...

...that bureaucrat = immoral is quite the way things are. It seems to be more of a case of bureaucrat = amoral, becoming more and more so the longer they are in their position, the more their schema of morality deviates and isolates from a perspective shared by the rest of their community, and comes to focus on the needs and maintenance of that position. To be immoral, one must violate a moral framework while sharing or existing within it. Thus, a tiger that kills and consumes a human is not immoral, despite the moral value that killing and eating humans is wrong, as the tiger is not communicant to that value. Rather, the tiger is amoral, at least from the perspective of the community of humans which holds that value, as the tiger exists within its own framework of morality (primarily "eat, mate, avoid being damaged"). Likewise the bureaucrat. As I say, the longer they remain in a post, any post, the more their moral framework accommodates thereto, and deviates from that of the community from which they have become isolated.

In short, bureaucrats aren't inherently evil, just man-eating tiger dangerously amoral. :-P

-Liz, who's half joking, though the definitions are mostly valid. A lot of her friends are bureaucrats of some form or another.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

In short, bureaucrats aren't inherently evil

Diesel Driver's picture

Having been one for the greater part of 25 years, I feel that it's not the front line bureaucrat who is immoral, it's the ones who make the rules we are obliged to follow that are the true evil of the system. I am just so glad that I don't have to make people follow STUPID RULES any more. I had to feed my family and pay my bills. If that makes me evil then evil I am.
Chris in CA

Chris

An obsrevation

If the comments take up no less place than the original story, you are certainly doing it right! ^_^

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Either that or there's a

Either that or there's a flame war going on. LOL.

I've had comments in the past, and experienced the (looking over at the sliding bar and grinning that there is so much story left only to find out that half of it is comments) effect. As long as the story is sufficient length, I don't mind.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Lilith = chocolate

Lilith, I think your stories are akin to chocolate. And I'm not talking about any old chocolate, I'm talking about those bite-sized ones with the whole cherry in the middle and with sugary filling ^_^ Your stories are enjoyable anywhere, anytime, over and over again. And sadly, even upon completion, they leave us asking for more.

I devoured that story...and "devouring" sounds oddly appropriate, given the ending. I guess I kind of got used to how many comments you usually generate, because I steeled myself against the idea that that LYING slider bar would cut off my story anywhere between 75% to 50% of it length. Regretable, but it's a sign that the story's a success. So many plot points to analyze, so much speculation!

I missed you, I hope to see more of your work soon! :-)


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

Thank you, sweetness. While

Thank you, sweetness.

While it is very nice to hear any comment, no matter how small, it is a treat to see how the readers interpret what they've read. There are times when I go, "Well I totally shot that one in the foot. That wasn't what I was trying to say." but thankfully those are getting fewer and farther in-between. And I would not have gotten this far without those comments, either.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Patching Up The Ending

Things got a bit nasty at the end there, not Braith's fault. But, the story isn't over, and the end isn't definitive until you walk away from it.

All that has to happen next to change the ending and direction of the story is that Braith stops Sangria from finishing feeding on the treacherous, just-following-orders Tammy. Besides, Sangria can't be that hungry after having to slurp a few quarts of blood off the floor. A few sips of Tammy, to leave her a bit anemic, okay, but finishing the job, not cool.

If Braith spares her life, the path to negotiation is open again. Besides, it would be nice if someone from the powers-what-be would be around to call off the dogs, and Tammy is Braith's best hope of that. Besides, if you want to write Whateley fanfic, you should stick to the misunderstood hero ethos.

As for Sangria... She's bad news, with a nasty, amoral temperament. Unless Braith gets some strong control over her, she's doomed for a shortish life of villany. Despite Sangria's boasts of power and protection, she somehow managed to lose at least two hosts we know of. Braith needs to subjugate her, something which should be possible now that they're integrated.

Not much seems to harm Sangria, but she did seem a little anxious to keep Braith from grabbing any aspirins. A possible Achilles heel that Braith could use to help her weaken and conquer her parasitic "patron"? Aspirin is a blood-thinner, maybe it's a Sangria-stunner, too.

The next story is planned

The next story is planned out after a small jump forward in time. A couple of weeks or a month where a lot of these questions will be explained.

Is Sangria a parasitic hair demon from hell?
Will aspirin or maybe some ginseng thin out her blood and make her weak? Are energy drinks off the menu?
Are her hosts offing themselves just to get away?
Are carrying tampons even necessary? (sorry, eww)
Will PETA come and put an end to her animal abuse?
What about the Stensons cat?
Is Tammy a dessicated husk laying on Braith's lawn?
Can Sangria even get full after drinking lots-o-blood?
What else can that hair do?

Stay tuned for more hair-raising tales!
(you may now commence with your favorite hair puns or jokes.)

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

The ending

It wouldn't be too difficult to patch the ending so that Tammy doesn't get killed. Braith just said "go ahead and feed", that could also mean fead on the others which had been killed before.

M

Martina

Nice!

I really liked this story. The main character is interesting, and I liked how you depicted how she dealt with her grief and the changes in her life. Sangria is a fascinating character in her own right, and her relationshp with Braith is a marvel of ambivalence.
The ending was a complete surprise, but the sudden violence didn't feel gratuitous thanks to the insight it gave about the main characters' personalities and abilitites.

Sangria Gu Braith

I wonder if the name choice of Braith is deliberate ? It is a silly name, one that no self respecting Hillbilly would give their daughter, let alone their son, and yet it is somewhat apt - I assume it is from the Gaelic word Braith, which rhymes with Bra, although I suspect that here it is said so as to rhyme with Wraith.
This word means Eternity - the phrase Gu Braith means - "To Eternity" or "Eternally".

The social worker's actions were wholly unacceptable - one does not force a recently sex changed person into conforming to gender stereotypes the day after she buries the last living relative - it's unprofessional, nor should she have responded in such a childish and spiteful way to Braith's entirely reasonable reaction - in short I seriously doubt she was what she said she was - I suspect she was a recruiter for a shadow organisation and that once the real social workers and the staff of Whately's get wind of this the poor new girl will get the care and training she needs.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Sangria: This is Where Everything Goes Wrong

I can't help but think that she'd make an excellent Retcon Hero, or Center student with a bit of revisioning.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This is too dark for me.

I told you that I can not take some kinds of stories. She killed her mentor?

You are a really good writer; above this.

Gwendolyn

Above this?

Looking around... where exactly does it say that she was killed?

And writing a dark story does not denote someone's talent in writing. If that were the case then a whole slew of Horror genre authors would be out of a job, not to mention the whole concept of the Anti-Hero would never have been successful. If you don't like something or find things too distasteful, I get that. We all have things that squick us. It's the author that has explored a number of facets of the human condition that I respect. Anyone can pick a single genre and bore us to tears with repetition.

For example: Stephen King. I used to love his books, all the way up until Tommyknockers. Then it just became the same old crap with different character names and slight alterations on the plot. To me, he isn't scary anymore, in the least. I would respect him a lot more if he occasionally went off the grid and wrote something Sci-Fi or Romantic without the slavering two-dimensional ultimate evil in the universe trying to take over a small town in Maine.

So if by creating a character that is a touch amoral I avoid doing this, then a job well done. You'll find an eclectic library within my story list, to the side. Everything from the Submissive shy girl, to the powerful, Dominant superhero; from the fantasy to the stark reality that we face every day. Why can't there be a dark story as well, and why would I be above writing it? I'm a writer, it's what I do.

By the way, yes, Sangria will be a very dark story, Lovecraftian in fact, which you find out about in the fourth story. This is something that Whateley readers found out about long ago. I'm just exploring that aspect more, instead of the school-life.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Wal-mart sucks big squirrel penises.

Diesel Driver's picture

All I could think of when I read that line was that poor Aquerna is going to be so upset... LOL
Chris in CA

Chris