Sarah Carerra - 1.13 - Problems with Authority

Printer-friendly version
“MISTER Campbell,” Principal Hall said after I had taken a seat in front of his desk. His emphasis on Mister didn’t bode well for me. “Care to explain what you are doing?”

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 13 - Problems with Authority
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2009 Megan Campbell
Released: December 21, 2009

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena

Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Chapter 13 - Problems with Authority

The next morning really had me in a depression. When I dressed in my boy clothes after being glammed up the night before, I immediately felt the disappointment that Emily and Ethan said came upon me every time I left Megan behind.

Megan was still there. The last few days had shown me just how much of Megan there was in my everyday life. Other people could see her too. But it felt different to me, and I didn’t like it.

“Come home right after school,” Dad was telling me over breakfast. “We need to be at the studio by about 3:45.”

I nodded, finished my breakfast, and headed out the door to meet Emily.

“How was last night?” she asked while we walked towards Ethan’s house.

“It was fun,” I told her truthfully. “But I really missed you. I wish you could be a part of this.”

“Me too,” she said forlornly. “I don’t understand why I can’t.”

She looked at me, and I wished I could tell her the truth. Instead I had to settle for another half-truth.

“I don’t either,” I told her. “Dad thinks that we need to establish my career before I start bringing friends along.”

That news really depressed her. I guess she had some idea of how long that could take.

“So it could be months before I get to go?” she asked.

I could only nod. But the tears in my eyes surprised me. “I’m so sorry, Emily. I want you there so badly!”

She stopped walking and turned to me. We hugged each other, which helped release the emotions we both had pent up.

“I don’t know why my dad wants it this way,” I told her. “He won’t even let my mom come.”

“Are you serious?” she asked. I could only nod. “Wow! That makes me feel better at least. I mean, now I know it’s not just me.”

I smiled back at her. At least we had come to an understanding.

*  *  *

Everyone stared at me again while I walked down the hall to my first period class.

I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing short of dropping my pants that I could do to prove that I was male. Even then, some might wonder.

But the more interesting thing was that I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care if I was seen by others as a girl. With every passing day, I started to feel more accepting of the feminine taunts and jibes that I was getting. Being female seemed like the right thing. Even at school.

But that all had to change, apparently. It would have been too much to ask to live my life in peace.

Halfway through first period I was summoned to the principal’s office. I knew that I hadn’t done anything wrong, so I guessed he was going to talk about my gender.

I was right too.

“MISTER Campbell,” Principal Hall said after I had taken a seat in front of his desk. His emphasis on Mister didn’t bode well for me. “Care to explain what you are doing?”

“I don’t know what you mean, sir,” I told him. I was pretty sure the innocent card wouldn’t work, but I didn’t know what else to tell him.

“Don’t get smart with me, BOY!” he nearly yelled. “I don’t like disruptions in my school, and you are becoming a big disruption!”

His statement confused me. I didn’t think I had been disrupting anything. Sure everybody was treating me more like a girl, but it’s not like I was using the girl’s restroom or anything. I was pretty sure I hadn’t done anything wrong.

“Why is that, sir?” I asked.

“Because you are a boy, but you are dressing in girl’s clothes!” he replied. “That is against the dress code!”

I had to stifle the laugh that had threatened to come out. “But these are boy’s clothes,” I stated instead. He didn’t seem pleased at my response.

He looked at me, perhaps for the first time. I think he was surprised to see that I was telling the truth. I knew I looked feminine, but other than my underwear, I was wearing all boys’ clothes.

“Perhaps,” he relented. “But that doesn’t explain the hair or the pierced ears. You are deliberately trying to make yourself look female, and I won’t stand for it.”

I guess that answered the question of whether anyone had noticed my earrings. But there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn’t get rid of anything I had done to myself recently, except possibly the French tips. Everything else was meant to help me outside of school. Not to mention the whole Sarah Carerra thing.

I was about to argue against his accusation. I certainly hadn’t deliberately been trying to pass as female at school, for the time being, at least. But before I got the chance, he continued.

“I’m giving you a week’s detention, starting after school,” he stated. Horror filled my face! I had the photo shoot this afternoon, and who knew what else the label would want me to do over the next week!

“I also expect you to cut your hair, your nails, and remove those earrings before school starts on Monday,” he continued.

I most certainly was not going to do any of that! He had no right to decide how I was going to live my life! Mary had been very specific over the last six years about who would make this decision! It certainly wasn’t him!

The smug smile he gave me certainly showed that he felt he had the upper hand. But I had something else on my side. I could only hope it was enough.

“I’m sorry, sir,” I told him in a voice that was a lot calmer than I thought I would have been able to manage. “But I can’t do that.”

“You don’t have a choice, Mr. Campbell.” He still had that smug grin on his face. “Failure to comply will lead to your suspension from this school.”

I don’t know why my circumstances bothered him so much. I knew my parents, my dad especially, would fight what he was doing tooth and nail.

“You are dismissed,” he said, and turned towards some papers on his desk. “I’ll see you after school for detention.”

“I won’t be there,” I said. I made no attempt to move or leave his office. This needed to be resolved now or it would cause problems for my new career.

“What did you say?” he asked incredulously. He stared at me. He tried to intimidate me into changing my decision. But there was more at stake for me here than sitting in a class for an extra hour after school.

“I am contractually obligated to be somewhere this afternoon,” I explained. “I will not be able to attend detention because of these legal requirements.”

I wasn’t completely sure that my contract required me to be there. I did know I was supposed to make every attempt possible to make the events the label asked me to attend. I didn’t know the repercussions for not being there.

“I don’t care about your contractual obligations,” he yelled. “You will be at detention this afternoon.”

I sighed. I knew that there wasn’t anything I could have done to change his mind. I would have to use my secret weapon.

“You’re going to have to talk to my agent about this then,” I told him and reached into my backpack to pull out a business card. “Here’s his number.”

“Your agent?” he asked. He didn’t believe me. He looked at the card and smiled an evil little smile before continuing. “Nice try, Mr. Campbell, but your father can’t talk his way out of this.”

“He doesn’t have to,” I told him. “But, he will be very unhappy if I don’t make my appointment this afternoon.”

The principal stared at the business card for a long moment, deciding if I was telling the truth.

“I’ll wait,” I told him. He sneered but picked up the phone.

He dialed Dad’s number and waited for him to answer.

“Mr. Campbell,” he said a moment later. “I have your son in my office. He’s refusing to attend detention this afternoon or follow the school’s dress code.”

My dad said something I couldn’t make out before the principal continued. “He is violating the dress code by wearing earrings and appearing female.”

I heard my dad’s laugh through the phone, it was that loud.

“I assure you this is no laughing matter, Mr. Campbell,” the principal said. “Failure to comply will lead to suspension.”

They continued to yell back and forth at each other. I sat in my seat, and waited for the conclusion.

Mr. Hall was furious when he hung up the phone. I’m sure his mood didn’t bode well for my future at his school.

“Alright, young man,” he said after he took a moment to calm down. “I will let you out of detention, and your father has convinced me that I cannot make you cut your hair or nails.”

Wow, my dad was good! I would have to thank him later.

“But you are not a female in the eyes of this school, do you understand?” he continued.

“Yes, sir,” I replied. What had my dad told him? “That was never my intention.”

“Good,” he said with that smug smile. “Then you are dismissed.”

*  *  *

“He just let you leave without any punishment?” Ethan asked at lunch. “That doesn’t sound like him.”

“I know!” I said. I couldn’t believe that Dad had talked him out of everything!

“I don’t trust him,” Emily said. I could only agree with her.

*  *  *

“MISTER Brett Campbell?” my teacher asked while taking roll in my first class after lunch. It became painfully obvious at that moment that I wasn’t getting away without a punishment.

“Here,” I mumbled. The rest of the class looked astonished. One of them even gasped.

*  *  *

“MISTER Brett Campbell?” the next teacher repeated. The class had the same reaction.

*  *  *

“MISTER Brett Campbell?” I was ready to die.

*  *  *

“That was the worst school day of my life!” I told Emily and Ethan on our way home. “I thought everyone thinking I was a girl was bad, but this could kill me! Literally!”

“It can’t be that bad,” Emily said. “Nobody did anything, right?”

I nodded. “But they sure looked like they wanted to. I’m scared to go to back on Monday.”

“Maybe the weekend will calm them down,” Ethan said. I could only hope.

“What do you guys want to do tonight?” Emily asked. I frowned when I realized I would have to let her down again.

“I have to go to a photo shoot tonight,” I told them. “I’m sorry.”

Emily’s mood dropped again. “Tomorrow?”

I shook my head.

“This sucks!” she told me. “We never should have taken you to that party!”

Ethan didn’t seem to agree with her. “You don’t mean that,” he told her.

Emily frowned before answering. “No, but it sucks being left out.”

“I’m sorry,” I said again.

“It’s okay, Megan,” Emily said. “I know you want us there, and that’s what counts.”

*  *  *

Chapter 14 - Marketing Blitz
Coming Soon...
up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The thing that is going to carry her through this successfully..

Andrea Lena's picture

...is support from family and friends, not photo shoots or publicity, because without her best friend and her mom...the heart will go right out of the music she sings. Let's just hope Dad realizes this before it's too late. Great story as always, thank you!

Hey...if you need a new agent, I'm your girl!
She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Yup.

WillowD's picture

I think it is a really bad decision for dad to be keeping this a secret from her two friends.

I cannot wait

When Sarah Carerra hits the big time and it all comes out, I can see the assembly in school and the very proud principle and staff introduces "Our very own Sarah Carerra", she responds "Bite me Mr Hall"

I can

... Megan deserves a Non-Sarah life to go back to. That shithead principal would still somehow try to screw her over, famous or not. Fifteen minutes of fame at a high school is worthless.

Kim

What a huge ass!!!

Seriously, it was no business of his to barge in it, especially like this!!!

Does anybody have a portable blood boil transmtter? I have a problem with mine and he seems like he needs some heat infusion VERY badly!

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Time for Dad & Agent to step in...

Monday morning, Mr Hall should be met in the office with Megan's father/agent towing one or more attorneys to explain exactly how many lines he's stepped over and what's going to happen now, especially if _anything_ happens to, or is done to Megan...

Janice

When the bill is due

They can send the ambulance bill to Professor Smartass,
When some jock troglodyte puts Sara in the hospital.

Bullys never grow up, even when they become teachers.

Thin Ice

The principal and teaching staff are certainly opening themselves up to a lawsuit with that behavior, without even factoring in the apparent attempt to incite violence against a student by other students. Frankly, I'm surprised some of the teachers didn't object.

Well, it's not like dear old dad doesn't know a few lawyer types. Might be time for an emergency injunction against their behavior? Hey, how about an order allowing her to have a private bodyguard in school, too? (I picture someone like Mr. T from his A-Team days. You want disruptive? Disrupt this, Fool!)

Of course, with the contract money from the recording company, private school isn't out of the question, either. The cost of that could be part of the damages against the school board, too, of course.

What State does Megan live in?

NoraAdrienne's picture

Depending on the city and state, this asswipe principal and his troglodyte teachers could all be in for massive law suits. If you've all been following the news this past years, many junior and senior high schools have been taking major hits for just these things.

Forcing kids to dress against their conscience. Girls who are dykes being force to wear dresses to graduation and class pics rather then suits or tuxedos.

The next few chapters could really make a social statement if the author does her homework.

I LOVE THE STORY

"Established"

As I said on the last episode, it would be helpful for Sarah to have some idea of at what stage Dad will consider her career "established", so she knows when she can ditch the silly charade in front of her close friends.

But although there are only a few weeks until the end of school, surely a letter from Brett/Megan's psych could have enabled Megan to attend school, rather than having to juggle three separate identities. Or at least a letter along the lines of due to a legally binding contract Brett is under (the details of which are released on a "Need to know" basis, and then only if they sign a NDA), his appearance may stray beyond that deemed suitable by the school, but cannot be altered at the request of the school.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Dad Is Going Too Far Already

jengrl's picture

Megan's dad is already going too far with his heavy handed control of her budding career. You know he is going too far when he doesn't even allow her mother to even come to the meeting with the Image consultant. I see this as a possible problem if her mother doesn't put her foot down with Dad. I think it should be up to Megan, who knows about Sarah. Emily can certainly be trusted to keep it a secret. If her dad imposes his will too much, it will eventually lead to rebellion by Megan, especially after she gets past the legal age of adulthood. It happens quite often in real life with major stars who are managed by parents. The parents get so used to having control and the lifestyle they have become accustomed, that they don't want to give it up. I do agree with the way he put that idiot Principal in his place. I hope they put something in place to keep him from doing anything to Megan. I'm looking forward to more of this great story.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Where I live

ALISON

'the authorities would have the Headmasters 'guts for garters' with our anti discrimination laws.As someone suggested
the father should arrive at the school Monday morning with a gaggle of lawyers.Merry Christmas,Megan.Alison

ALISON

Sarah Carerra - Chapter 13

The worst sort of bully is a bully in authority, even Brett's dad. What happens when Brett's friends learn about the deception?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I foresee a principal and

I foresee a principal and some teachers getting their "butts in a sling" over their comments and actions regarding Megan/Brett. They are placing a student into serious "harm's way" by their blatant speech of gender identity and even if they physically did nothing to the student are condening whatever does happen. Serious dollars are going to be coming out of the school district funds and also out of the pockets of each of the teachers and the principal. Along with this, I would go after the principal just for his very self-rightousness and bigotted attitude towards Brett/Megan. It IS NOT his concern how any student wears their hair or has or does not have earrings. His concern is whether the student is being a good student or not, and apparently UNTIL he interjected himself into all this, Brett/Megan was being a good and quiet student. Jan

The thing is

The principal really can't get away with any of that crap he pulled, legally. Even in the states most against TG, a dress code as he mentioned wouldn't be legal due to the way that dress codes were attacked for women's rights. He would also have to PROOVE a "disruption" was taking place BEFORE taking action... and causing a disruption with orders to the teachers is endangering the welfare of a minor, whether he chooses to view that way or not the law does.

What I love about Megan

... is that she is not your typical self-absorbed little Brat of a teenager.

Yes, she realizes there is potential for a LOT of money here. However, she seems to take that as a nice to have and not the focus of her life. She is just as focused on the people around her, especially her friends, instead of going into that daydreamy - 'I am such a Big Shit' ego trip.

Kim

I know that I am not the only one

that has had total acceptance. I have had few teachers disgaree with how I was living my life, but they never, ever, embarrassed me in front of others. We did have private talks, but nothing like in this story which was an ultimatum from the school. All my uncle Johnny told them was that I wsn't vioating any law and I wasn't hurtng anyone. But I also was never told I had to cut my hair, or stop wearing female cothing...not ever. And I am not sure what the case name is, but the US Supreme Court has even said that school's cannot restrict a student's mode of dress, because it violates the student's first amendment right to free speech. Anyway, if a principal, teacher, or anyone else in authority at the school forced a student to dress their way it would be civil action time.

This chapter is written very wel like all the others.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

It is not about the clothes

... though I know you know that. This is really about gender presentation. The principal acknowledged Megan's clothes were boy clothes but he wanted her to cut her hair and remove the earrings and trim her nails. Total BS of course. I doubt he has gone after any of the goths at the school and such.

He does not even have a wooden leg to stand on wrt to that demand.

Now he decides to bully one of his own students.

What an a-hole.

Kim

They must live in Texas

Or somewhere similar. This principle stand would not fly in any case.