The Next Con

Printer-friendly version
The Next Con
By Melanie Ezell

 
Sometimes friends can surprise you... all it takes is a little trust.

Note: This is a pseudo-sequel to my short story "The Con." While it isn't necessary to read the first story to understand this one, I would like to recommend that you do.


 
"I can't believe I let you talk me into this."

"Hey, you asked me if you could come; I just told you the requirements."

Jeremy grimaced, but didn't argue. Greg hadn't made him come, it was true -- but why had this been part of the bargain?

"I still don't get why you didn't wear the other costume again," Greg complained, not for the first time.

"I told you, it was uncomfortable and I didn't like it." Jeremy said, partially truthful. While it had been uncomfortable, he would have happily worn it again, if his parents hadn't found it and thrown a fit. Not that the rest of the contents of his "stash" had helped any.

It had taken him over a month to build up the courage to start collecting bits and pieces again, rebuilding his wardrobe. And Greg HAD been a good friend and kept his secret, ever since the last convention. But still...

"Come on, Josie, we're gonna be late for the special preview of the new Kampfer game if you don't hurry."

"Hey! You try walkin' around in platform heels and tell me if YOU can go faster!" Jeremy stomped his foot in anger. No, she was definitely Josie at the moment, she reminded herself, and her Princess Ai costume shouldn't let her forget it.

"Nope! 'Sides, it's your own fault. I said wear something girly, not flash your panties at every guy in the room. Aren't you cold in that getup?"

"Greg!" Josie screeched. His grin was infuriating, all the more so because she couldn't argue with him. It HAD been her idea to do Princess Ai, and now she was stuck in the middle of a hotel two cities away from home in a black gauze petticoat, a ton of jewelry and another horrendously expensive corset. November was the wrong time for that kind of outfit.

"Alright, sorry!" Greg raised his hands in surrender. If any of the passers-by thought it was odd seeing a ninja cowering back from a frail-looking goth girl, they did a good job of hiding it. "Sorry."

"Sigh. No, it's alright." She shrugged her shoulders in defeat. They would be sharing a hotel room for the next two nights; the last thing she wanted was to make her best friend mad at her. "I'll try to speed up."

"No problem. You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

A look of concern came over Greg's face, as she fought the urge to pull away when he took her hand. "Come on. I can check out the game online. Let's go sit somewhere and talk."

"No! Greg..."

"Now."

She should have known this was coming. She'd been dodging his attempts to get her to talk for three months, and this was the breaking point.

It wasn't long before the two friends were set one to each side of a table in the dining room. With the number of panels at the convention, the dining room was temporarily abandoned by almost all the guests and staff, and would be one of the safer places for them to talk.

Josie looked down. Greg was STILL holding her hand.

"Okay. We're alone. Spill."

"I don't know what you want me to say..."

Greg frowned. "Well, the truth is a pretty good place to start." He closed his eyes. "Just tell me something, alright?"

His grip on her hand tightened, and she relented. "I... I like to dress up sometimes, alright? But that doesn't mean I'm weird or anything, I mean, it's just... it was too good a chance to pass up?"

Greg was silent for almost a minute, with a far away look in his eyes, before he finally nodded. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay," he said again. Josie thought for a moment that he might be done, but he quickly dashed that hope. "So why are you so nervous around me?"

"I'm not nervous around you, I just-"

"Yes you are," he interrupted, and squeezed her hand just a little more. "You look like a girl. You can sound like a girl. You act like a girl. If you can do all that, then I can treat you like a girl. So, why are you nervous around me? Is it because I know Jeremy?"

"No!" Josie denied. "Not at all. Well... okay, maybe." She sighed. "It's just...."

"Just?" Greg grinned. "You seem to be saying that a lot."

"Shut up." Josie couldn't fight the smile that pulled at the corners of her mouth, as she felt some of the tension drain away. A question occurred to her. "Why ARE you so okay with all this?"

Greg shrugged. "You're my friend. Of course, the fact that you look pretty cute as a girl doesn't hurt either -- do you have any idea how many points I'm scoring being seen with you here?"

That was too much, and they both started laughing loudly. Josie felt tears running down her face, though whether they were from laughing or from relief she couldn't say.

"Thank you."

"What for?" Greg asked.

Josie stood, and Greg rose as well. "For being my friend." She stepped forwards and wrapped her arms around Greg, hugging him close.

"You're welcome," he whispered next to her, returning the hug. Then he backed up out of her reach. "Now go fix your face, and we might be able to catch the DDR tournament."

"Alright," Josie smiled, and headed towards the ladies' rooms. For a moment, she regretted not packing more regular girl's clothes in her bag as well, instead of her boy's clothes, but she contented herself with the fact that there would always be time for that at the next con.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I agree with my erudite sister Laika here...

Andrea Lena's picture

Nice and sweet, without running ahead too fast. Lovely and clever. Thank you

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thanks!

That was a very nice story! ^__^

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

A couple of good short stories

Melanie, thanks for writing these 'con' stories. I liked the multiple meanings in your titles. And I find sometimes short stories tell more than the longer ones. Hugs, Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

Perfectly and anything superfluous.

The fine story, One of the few where each word on the place. And not least acts of heroes are quite logical (adjusted for literary assumptions).

A nice little story

ALISON

'that may be the start of something bigger.I liked it very much,especially the acceptance of Greg for Josie---that is what
real friends are for!!Alison

ALISON

What's Wrong with My Writing????

That's a question I've been asked dozens of times by authors on BC.

For many, one of the things they fail to do is set up a proper series of stimuli followed by corresponding responses. Melanie does a great job of showing us how the other person responds to a character's dialogue. This is important for a number of reasons.

Readers respond to an appeal to the senses. Showing a response allows us to see, hear, and feel the response -- or the setting around the response.

Readers love to guess what will happen next, including how a character will respond to stimuli. When the reader guesses right they feel like they're in the story.

Readers want the story to move along, but they want more than just dialogue. Communications experts suggest that words are less than 15% of the communication that takes place in a dialogue. When the author simply writes a long series of dialogue with no visual response or cues as to what is going on around those speaking the author has allowed 85% or normal communication to happen without showing it. It's possible to write long, effective scenes of oue dialogue, but it better be scintillating. Joe Friday-like scenes are an exception.

Scenes involving more than two characters confuse readers. By keeping this scene to two characters Melanie kept us intrigued.

Very well done. You have a gift for short stories.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Discovery of early Melanie E...

...if one ever wished someone would break into their lonely world and talk with them. Melanie does a beautiful job of just that. There is a freshness to these stories... like the echoing of one's inner soul.

I know the same may be said with discovering other writers and their early stories.
I also enjoy the journey.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

DDR???

I just read this story, and have one question: Dance Dance Revolution in platform heels??? Is Greg trying to put Josie in an orthopedic ward? :-)

Awww...

Greg is such a sweetie. It looks like Josie's found a good friend in him. :)