Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 4)

Printer-friendly version
Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All
Part 4

by:
Lilith Langtree


I turned to see Ted at the door. He was sporting a pair of black slacks, and a solid red button down. Oh joy, we matched. Won't our pictures turn out well. Then a strong feeling of dread overcame me. Oh no.

"I want you two to stand up against the fireplace over there."

Mrs. Head! With a camera! Curse you Ralph Lauren!

You never listen to my prayers!


 
Part 4

After I started up the Beetle I just sat there. Chloe was sitting in the passenger seat trying to make herself as small as possible. I know she was waiting on me to blow up or something. But the thing is, she was right. I am a boy. No amount of make up, hair styling, toenail painting, or skirt wearing was going to change that. I was a boy.

So unless I wanted to cruise the gay bars, well cruise in front of the gay bars, I was likely to be alone this school year. No dating, no kisses, no making out on the couch, no hand holding as we walked down the street.

"Cas, don't cry. I'm sorry I said what I said."

I reached up and wiped at my cheek. I hadn't cried in a long time. Even when Gramps died I was more panicked than anything else. By the time it was all over with I was more numb than anything else. The numbness that comes from realizing that you are all by yourself in the world. The last time I actually remember crying was when I woke up from a nightmare, after my parents had been murdered, and Gramps was holding me telling me to let it all out.

I remember that was the first time that Gramps said, The past is the past.

Now I'm crying because I can't be a real girl and seriously date anyone. I'm crying because I will still be alone in a school of almost 2500 teenagers.

I wiped my tears away, along with, I'm sure, half my make up, and put the car in gear. Chloe was silent the entire way to her house where I dropped her off. She apologized again, but I ignored her and drove off, back to the house.

Upon arrival I stripped off my outfit, down to the skin and tossed it in the trash, went upstairs and took off the nail polish, washed my face and got into bed. I lay there in questioning wonder at how I had gotten this far. What was I thinking? I was smarter than this. I should have seen the consequences of what I was doing. Why was I blubbering like a little girl.

~O~

I don't remember falling asleep, but when I woke up it was night. The red light from my clock read 11:32. I got up and went to my real room. Pulling on a pair of my boy underwear, and my boy jeans, and my boy t-shirt I stood there in front of my dresser mirror and looked at myself.

The hair cut and thin eyebrows still screamed young female, no matter what my clothes masked over.

I closed my eyes and rubbed them. The crust of dried tears broke away and fell.

After taking a cleansing breath I went and retrieved the stylist's business card and set it by the downstairs phone, to have ready, so I could make an appointment to get my hair cut back to a boy's style. There was nothing to do about my eyebrows except let them grow back out.

So that meant secluding myself in the house for the next few weeks, or however long it took. I'd email everyone and tell them I'm dropping out. No need to tutor anyone if I'm not going to school, right?

~O~

Inbox: 75 New Emails

After a quick scan I pulled up the one from Ted to see how the hospital went.

Hey, Casidhe. The hand's not broken, but it feels like it is. I'm on an anti-inflammatory med and a little codeine for the pain, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Mom, was pissed, but kind of not. It was weird. Dad is all smiles for some reason. He came into my room to lay down the law for my mom, but we just sat there while I told him about what happened today.

I told him about this morning in Homeroom, and what you said and then what happened at lunch. I guess I wasn't supposed to see him smiling out of the corner of my eye, but he was.

By the way, he wants to meet you. Maybe, if you want, you can come over to pick me up on Sunday and see him. If you don't that's cool too. I can have him drop me off. Maybe you can wave at him or something.

Anyway, I meant what I said before. About you being amazing. You are at school for two days and have brought down the class bully and inspired me to actually stand up for something. You are obviously smarter than anyone in our class, and you have a presence about you that, well, I can tell you are a good person.

I don't see good people all that much. Everyone is mostly out for their own best interests. You're not like them. You seem to actually care. Yeah, I know I'm all exposing my feelings here, but I can blame the meds. I'm sure I'll be panicking in the morning when I reread what I wrote. LOL

I better go now before I say something really stupid. See you Sunday. Write me if you get a chance.

Ted

Ted, you poor bastard, you're in love with a boy that dresses up like a girl. How would your dad feel about that, hmm?

I heard my Blackberry ringing off in the distance. I was tempted to ignore it, but I have a thing that I have to know who called. You never knew. It could be Angelina Jolie, hey, you don't know. It could happen.

It was Chloe, and apparently I had missed her calling five previous times. I sighed and hit the call back button. It didn't even ring once.

"Cas?"

"Hey."

"I'm really sorry."

"You were right… you are right."

"I still could have said it better than that."

I let it sit for a few moments. "I'm more of a tell it like it is person. You told it like it is. I can appreciate that."

"Are we still friends?"

I smiled a little. "Yeah."

"Are we still on for tomorrow?"

Tomorrow? Oh, shopping. "Well, I'm kind of not going to school anymore."

I heard her catch her breath. Then she hung up. What the hell? Then I heard the front doorbell go off and had my answer. I went and peeked through the peep hole then opened the door.

"Are you completely stupid?"

And here we go.

She pushed past me and dropped her backpack off by the stairs.

"Hi Chloe. How are you this fine January evening?"

Standing there with her hands on her hips she scowled at me. "Me, I'm fine. It seems like my newest friend has gone all Emo on me. I can't wait until she shows up at the local stop and rob sporting the latest Goth fashions. I hear black is in. Maybe you can stripe your hair in purple and red to make it, yanno, ultra Gothy."

I closed the door.

"And what happened to you. Why are you wearing boy clothes again?"

Walking past her to the kitchen I shot out. "I'm a boy, remember? I have no balls to speak of, but I still have my penis. Want to see?"

I heard her growl in frustration before I entered the kitchen. It didn't take long before she was burning up the hardwood floor in pursuit.

"You can't just quit."

I opened up the fridge looking for something to eat. "Emancipated minor, remember? I can pretty much do anything I want."

"You're going to quit school because you can't date Mark Tanner? Half the girls in the school want to date him and they're not quitting."

Okay, that crossed the line. I slammed the fridge door, hearing several bottles clank around inside and a possible the crash of a couple more. I turned on Chloe.

"No, this isn't about Mark," I yelled. "It's about me going through the next three years alone, not being able to date because I can't actually do anything with them without being found out. It's about not belonging to either sex. I can't be a boy because everyone thinks I'm a girl, and I can't be a girl because if someone finds out then I'm as good as dead."

After slamming both of my hands on the island counter, Chloe jumped. "The whole reason I am going to school is because I was supposed to have a life outside of constant studying. I was supposed to date, and have fun. I was supposed to laugh occasionally."

I sniffed and ground the heels of my hands into my eyes.

"But I can't do that, not anymore."

"Cas…"

"For the first time in my life since my parents died, I was happy. For a very short time I was happy being a girl. I looked forward to getting up in the morning and going to school, just to see what was going to happen next."

Turning around I slid to the ground and just sat there with my back up against the body of the island.

"Now, I realize that it's all just a nightmare again. I can't be a girl, all I can be is alone."

Pulling my knees up, I hid my face and wrapped my arms around my legs.

"You're not alone." Chloe's voice was right next to me, inches away from my face. "I won't let you be alone."

I felt her arms encircle me and I shuddered once. Then the tidal wave of emotion swept out of me in a howl as she pulled me to her.

I don't know how long she held me as I bawled my eyes out over every major event in my life: my parents, Gramps, finding out that I was happiest as a girl, and losing that happiness. All I could feel was Chloe rocking me and telling me everything was going to be alright.

~O~

I don't really remember winding up in bed, but there I was, snug under the sheets. From the way a strap was digging into my shoulder I knew I was wearing my night gown. I sighed to myself and tugged the sheets a little more underneath my chin. There was a slight chill in the air, but there was something else… a presence in the room.

Cracking open my eyes, just a tad, I saw Chloe sitting, asleep, in an armchair situated in the corner. Her feet were propped up on an ottoman, and a quilt was tucked in all around.

"Chloe?" I croaked.

Her eyes fluttered open and I could see a slight amount of confusion on her face, but then she focused.

"Hey, girl. How are you feeling?" She wrestled with the quilt as she tried to untangle herself.

"M'okay. You stayed."

She finally got free and sat forward, pushing the ottoman away. "Uh yeah, I wasn't going to leave you by yourself. You're my friend."

After clearing my throat and wiping at my face with the sheets I looked at her. "You could have slept in the bed with me, or had your choice of rooms, for that matter."

Chloe shook her head. "I can't sleep with anyone else in the bed, and I didn't want to leave you alone last night." She shrugged and stood, stretching away the night. "Come on and get up. There's shopping to be done and credit cards to wear out!"

"Chloe," I whined.

She looked at me then walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed. I scootched over and made a little room for her. She brushed a hair off of my cheek and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Casidhe. After last night, I think we both know that there's a bigger issue here than you quitting school."

Not wanting to face the subject she was talking about I brought the sheets up to cover all but my eyes.

"I want you to answer a question for me, and then if you want, I'll leave you to your decision."

I thought about it for a second and then nodded.

"Good, okay… I want you to think about this while I go get ready. Tell me your answer later, alright?"

I nodded again.

"I want you to look deep down, within yourself, and ask your heart, not your head, if you are a girl or a boy."

I shut my eyes and almost cringed. Chloe brushed her fingers through my hair.

"Either one you want to be is fine with me, Cas. I'll help you as best as I can, but you need to make a choice, or at the very least, realize that you need to find out more about yourself in order to make that choice. Okay?"

With my eyes closed I nodded my head.

"Good, alright. I'm off to the shower."

I followed very soon thereafter. Luckily there was more than one shower in the house. I was back and sitting at the make up table when Chloe returned. Yeah, it took her longer because she's anal about her hair being just right. A warm smile was on her face when she saw me applying mascara diligently to my lashes.

"What?" I asked as I capped the tube.

"Nothing. Just wondering when you were going to be through hogging the make up table."

I stuck my tongue at her and grabbed a lipstick. With a couple of delicate swipes I jumped up and offered her the chair while I sat on the bed to slip on my sandals. For you nosey people, I was wearing stretch jeans, girls stretch jeans, mind you, and a white camisole with a lime green button down hanging loose.

~O~

It was a fairly warm day outside, well, sixty degrees was warm for January. We entered the mall and immediately made our way to the Smoothie King. Banana for me, Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry for Chloe… yeah, yuck.

Chloe's mission was to work our way up the major mall anchors and then hit the individual tiny shops as we worked our way out of the mall. Estimated time needed? Five hours, minimum. Apparently this didn't include time out to carry our bags back to the Beetle. Wait. Hold on. Who's idea was this?

J C Penny's had thirty minutes to open, so we sat on the bench outside the front doors, or at least I sat down, Chloe had other plans.

"Cas, look. LA Nails is open. Why don't we get our nails done and then Penny's will be open by the time we're through?"

I turned around and looked at the really bored…um, nail people. What do you call the people that clip your nails? Nailoloigists? Oh, I know, Nailiphiles… get it? Nail-i-philes — Nail-files? Oh, forget it. My superior humor is wasted on the plebes.

"Uh, sure."

Apparently, the Nailiphiles thought that I was a very bad person. I was relegated to sticking my feet and hands into some weird soapy water for much longer than Chloe had to soak. Then some weird Nazi-Asian lady took to my heels with a rock that she apparently found out in the parking lot or something. I swear it sounded like she was scraping away for gold.

All the while, she was chatting away with her compatriot in nails in a foreign language. I know she was talking about my feet. Bitch.

Ow! What the hell? I thought this was supposed to be a soothing experience! Whoever gave me that impression was sorely mistaken… get it… sorely… sore. Why do I even try?

I'm quite sure there was blood involved at one point, but we made it out of there in one piece, well, with several pieces added, as a matter of fact. Now my fingernails were longer. I got sport-length. I don't think I could deal with anything longer. They were a very cool red… I mean the color was cool-shaded, soft, not, like flaming red. Ugh. I'll tell you what, when you pay the cost of getting my nails done, then you can look on the bottom of the bottle and find out what the actual color is, alright? Saffron Ruby Sweet Cotton Candy or something like that. Nail polish companies are weird.

I think Chloe had an idea or something that I was supposed to get an outfit that matched. I was still wondering how to justify spending fifty dollars on an outfit to match my nails when it should have been the other way around.

On the plus side, my toes never looked so good.

Chloe got a French manicure. She told me it was out of style, but she thought it looked cool. Viva la résistance!

~O~

On the fifth trip back to the car I was about to pass out, so Chloe reluctantly admitted that I deserved a nugget type substance and we took a break in the food court. My poor stone scraped feet! They hurt! But they looked good!

I was now the proud owner of about two dozen outfits of which a number of could be interchanged with one another. This way I didn't wear the same outfit twice in a month. It was in the How to be an Effective Girl rulebook that I still haven't received a copy of, as of yet. The afternoon was devoted to accessories. Bangles, beads, necklaces, rings, clips, ties, bracelets, earrings — oh, by the way… oww!

We were back in Macy's looking though purses when I found the one for me. It was supple black leather and it had a bazillion pockets.

"No."

"But, Chloe," I whined.

"Cas, it's a Fendi."

"A whatie?"

She grabbed a tag that was hanging off of the strap and flipped it over for me to see.

"GOOD GOD! THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!?"

For that, I received a kick to the shins.

I think my lower lip trembled, just a little bit, when I put it back on its very own dedicated display shelf. Goodbye, bazillion pocketed purse with matching price tag. Sniff. Parting is such sweet… oh, look at that one. It's got a pocket, on the outside, for my Blackberry! Yay!

~O~

Shoe, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes! Some lucky, commissioned, sales girl went home tired, but very, very happy that day. The manager told me to pull my car around back and she had one of her stock boys wheel out the boxes on a hand truck. It only took a few trips. Dammit, okay, it took seven trips. The trunk and the back seat were crammed full to the brim. I couldn't see out the back window and Chloe had to move her seat up in order to not squish the most darling black slingbacks…

Okay, I admit I went a tad bit overboard. I think my credit card broke.

~O~

It took almost two hours to unload everything and store it away. Granted I had to empty out my boy closet and put everything into boxes in order to make room for my shoes, but it all worked out in the end.

"There, you are officially a girl."

I slithered on the leather couch and moaned. "Is it like this every weekend?"

Chloe shrugged and rubbed her feet. "Well, except for the stopping to eat at lunch time, yeah."

Opening one eye I gave her a glare.

She leaned back and laughed. "I can't believe American Express actually called you to tell you some crazy person was spending hundreds of dollars with your card."

I shrugged. "I rarely use it." Upon further reflection, I added, "I never go shopping unless I really need something."

"Sacrilege! I'll exorcize that demon from you soon, girl."

We sat in companionable silence for a good five minutes.

"So, what are you going to wear on your date with Ted tomorrow?"

I was almost in the Zen Zone when she asked that. So close.

"Uh…"

"You know that this might very well be the only date he goes on this year."

Great, put the pressure on, why don't ya.

"What do you suggest?"

~O~

I had returned Ted's email and told him I'd pick him up. Hey, he lives three blocks away, it's not like I'm going to Cleveland or something. I parked in front of the house, in the street. After taking a cleansing breath and saying a little prayer to Ralph Lauren. I opened the car door and swung my legs out.

My three-inch heeled, knee boots settled on the concrete. They had a really cute black fuzzy border all around the top. Warm! From there it was bare skin until mid thigh. That was more than enough. The skirt, Chloe informed me, was Buffalo print. You know what that means to me? Squat. I'll tell you what I see. I see a red skirt with little tiny pleats and a black crisscross pattern all around.

It's a tutoring session. Apparently Chloe thinks it will be a hoot to go with the naughty schoolgirl outfit or something. But since I don't have breasts, there is no way I can pull that off. Thank God.

My top was a thin solid black zip up sweater that comes down past my wrists and had this cute little hole I'm supposed to stick my thumb through. It settles down at my knuckles.

Cute, right?

A couple of rings and a silver heart necklace later and I was ready to face the Dad of Ted. Kinda sounds like a horror movie, yeah?

For practice, I wore heels for the rest of Saturday night and most of Sunday morning. So I was fairly confidant in my ability not to make a total fool of myself. As long as I don't have to dance then I'm okay. Since there is no dancing at the pizza place, I've got that one covered.

Walking up to the door I kept it in my mind to walk, one foot, reasonably, in front of the other. If you really walk one in front of the other, you kind of look like a hooker with the swinging of the hips. Not really the kind of thing you want to show off to a guy's parent's.

Before I rang the doorbell I heard a loud thumping of something. If I didn't know any better I'd swear it sounded like someone fell down the stairs. Except it was the opposite way, like they were falling up the stairs. Weird.

Ding Dong! Cross-dressing tutor calling!

I stood there, fiddling with my purse, while experiencing a deep seated desire to click my nails. I have no idea why.

That's when I heard a muffled, "Tutor's didn't look like that when I was a kid."

I blinked and tried to stifle a laugh.

The door opened, and I finally got a very firm idea of what Ted would look like in twenty years. Maybe when he gained about twenty or thirty more pounds of body muscle and maybe a little grey sprouting just above the ears, lost the braces and cleared the skin up. Hmm, nice.

I was waiting for Dad!Ted to whip out a pipe or something and tap it in the palm of his hand.

"Hi, you must be Casidhe. I'm Theodore's dad."

I held out my hand and gave him gay-limp shake. Hey I'm in character now, give me a break.

"Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Head."

He stepped back and swept his arm outward. "Come on in. I told Theodore to give us a few minutes, if you don't mind?"

I shook my head slightly. "No problem."

Stepping into The Head Household was like walking into a hospital. Everything was so clean, white, and somewhat Spartan, and I'm not talking about the sweaty-muscled goodness of Frank Miller's 300 either. I had absolutely no desire to shout, "THIS–IS–THE–HEAD–HOUSEHOLD!" and kick Mr. Head down into the basement.

"What a… clean home you have, Mr. Head."

"Thank you, Mrs. Head will be pleased you noticed."

It was kinda of hard not to. I was tempted to check the bottom of my boots to make sure I hadn't stepped in gum or something on the way in. Did I bring my stun gun with me? Because I'd definitely need it to short out the CPU's of the Stepford Family that lived in this place. Where the heck did they find Ted? Maybe he was adopted? Except, how hard would it be to adopt a kid that looked exactly like his adoptive dad? Hmm, this deserves further thought.

I was escorted into Dad!Ted's study and given a seat in front of a big sturdy desk. What the hell? Is this an interview? I'm doing this for free. Dad!Ted sat in the other chair and not behind the desk. Well that was nice of him, at least. I set my purse on the desk with the pocket for my Blackberry facing out toward us. Cool, right? Can't you just see Mr. Head saying, "Wow, Casidhe! Is that a pocket for your Blackberry? That's a very nice purse."

I waited for it.

Bastard!

I crossed my legs so as not to give Dad!Ted a free glimpse of my black lace panties. No upskirts in this manga, buster.

"I hear we owe you thanks for helping Theodore out in the office on Friday."

Ah, straight to the point. My eyes darted to the doorway and I tried to calculate the odds on a quick escape if I were to bash Dad!Ted in the head with my purse and make a run for it.

Damn my weakness for these boots!

"Uh…"

"Don't worry, Casidhe. I'm quite pleased with Theodore's actions on your behalf." He leaned forward and took a quick peek to the door then whispered, "Between you and me I think he's finally become a man."

Who tells people this about their kid? Would you like to tell me about his sperm count as well? Maybe the size of his…

"Casidhe?"

Ah, saved!

I turned to see Ted at the door. He was sporting a pair of black slacks, and a solid red button down. Oh joy, we matched. Won't our pictures turn out well. Then a strong feeling of dread overcame me. Oh no.

"I want you two to stand up against the fireplace over there."

Mrs. Head! With a camera! Curse you Ralph! You never listen to my prayers!

Ted turned around. "Mom, we're going to study and then to pizza. We aren't going to the prom."

Mrs. Head gave me the most pathetic pleading look. I was almost expecting her to stick out her lip and let it quiver for a minute. Then her eyes shifted.

"Oh, that is the most darling purse. Is that a pocket, on the outside, for your Blackberry?"

Now that, just isn't fair! She noticed! I had a quick little internal fantasy where I would grab my purse, do a Charlie's Angel's rebound off the desk while I cross-kicked Dad!Ted in the head and tossed my purse, which by the way had Extendo!Stretch straps, and it would rebound off of Mrs. Head's… head. Then I would grab Ted and make our escape.

All of this, of course, depended on me having a convertible red Ferrari parked just outside the door. Blast!

I stood and walked over to Ted and grabbed his arm. "Come on, Ted. It will be totally painless." Except for the eye-blinding, migraine inducing, flash.

Four flashes, and three poses later — I blinked, sue me — and we were out the door. I still had a hold on Ted's arm for fear of falling. There was a bright ball of light wherever I looked. I hate cameras.

"I'm really sorry about that," said Ted with a mortally embarrassed tone.

Squeezing his arm I reassured him. "Remember, Ted, some of us don't have parents to embarrass us before dates. They're just happy for you."

He walked me around to my side while I beep-beeped the locks open. Then he opened my door for me. I gave him a smile in thanks and sat down to swing my legs inside. I have no doubt, whatsoever, that Ted was staring at my legs the entire time. I could almost feel them burn with attention.

~O~

Algebra II is pathetically simple if, and only if, you can remember the stupid formulas. With his busted hand, which was currently wrapped under four feet of gauze, it was next to impossible for him to write, so we drilled with the formulas and some flash cards that I had made up. It wasn't the best way to do it, but if you can't write, what else are you supposed to do?

Near the end I could see he was getting frustrated.

"Sorry, I hate this," he declared. "I just don't see anytime in the future that I'm going to need these things. I mean who cares if two trains are leaving the station at the same time and where they'll meet up? Who uses trains anymore?"

I sat the cards down on the table and got up to pace a bit. Walking the length of the kitchen I turned around and saw Ted's eyes were glued to my butt. Yeah…

"Okay, let's see if I can give you a real life example."

He leaned back and set his uninjured hand on the table. "Okay, shoot."

"This Saturday, you and I are going to go on a date to the movies."

He seemed a little antsy. "Alright."

"The movie starts at… oh, 7:05." I watched as he nodded in understanding. "I really hate being late for anything, Ted. But I don't want to be too early either. There's nothing more boring than sitting in a theater looking at a blank screen while I'm wasting my popcorn. Popcorn is supposed to be for the movie, not for before, yanno?"

He nodded again.

"From previous experience, I know that the theater is 7.5 miles away. The speed limit out of the subdivision is thirty-five miles per hour for 1.7 miles and on the freeway it's fifty-five for 5.8 miles. What time do we have to leave to make it to the movie on time?"

His mouth opened a little and he blinked at me. "That's Algebra," I concluded.

I walked up to him almost bumping him with my knee. "Do you want to please me Ted?"

I reached over to the flash cards. I might have had to bend a little at the waist, but I retrieved them. Flipping through them I found the correct formula and sat it down in front of him.

"I really don't want to be late and I don't want to eat all of my popcorn before the movie starts."

He looked down at the formula and his brow narrowed in concentration.

"I'm going upstairs to freshen up before we go out. I'd really like it if you would solve the problem for me."

He looked back up at me and nodded. "Okay."

I had absolutely nothing to do upstairs. My make up was still fresh, but I touched up my lipstick, just for something to do. When ten minutes passed I started to the head of the stairs and was only half way down when Ted arrived at the bottom.

"I've got it!"

Apparently, all Ted needed was the proper motivation, and I had another date. I never said my plan had a flaw in it anywhere, did I?

Photo Credit: Olga http://mgpg.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/olga-super-red/


 
To Be Continued...

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oops, I did it again!

Uh-oh! A second date with Ted. Where did that darn cliche go? ;-)

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

;P

Still no cliches! LOL. They still have to get through the first one in one piece.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

it seems ...

amyzing's picture

... that the author intends to follow the precept of the story title.

Very, very nice, Lilith. I admit I'm not too keen on poor little rich kids, but this keeps pulling me back anyway, and ... the breakdown scene was very touching. As was Chloe's persistence. As for Casidhe, as a girl she seems to be a natural flirt. You've done a splendid job of presenting a believable coming-out-of-denial sort of story. I'm looking forward to more.

Amy!

TY!

Thank you for your kind thoughts!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Very Fresh & New

 

anime.gif     Your writing style Lilith. Captivating, Intriguing and pulls a reader right on it. You have found your calling so use it girl! Keep writing! Love your story and how Cassidhe is becoming herself.

Love

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

TY!

Thank you, Sephrena!

I'll keep writing if you keep reading.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Casidhe Found Out What We Girls Mean About Shopping

jengrl's picture

Casidhe found out what we girls mean about shopping. I really envied her in a way, because I have never had that kind of money to spend. She definitely is going to give Imelda Marcos a run for her money in the shoe department LOL! I think Chloe will have her convert one of the bedrooms into a giant walk-in closet by the way she is talking about shopping every weekend. The breakdown is one I think a few of us can identify with. It is so liberating to be able to have a good cry when you need it and Casidhe was long overdue for a good one. Keep it coming Lili! You are doing great!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

TY!

Thank you Jen.

If you have the money, why wouldn't you spend it? I never understood tightwads.

(wink)

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Well written

I'm really enjoying this story... although one thing keeps nagging at me. This takes place in the US right? Because I've never heard of anyone saying "yanno" or ending a sentence with "yeah". I thought that "yeah" things was a UK slang? Or maybe I have their place of residence confused? Well a part from that I think the story is really great... just help me out with that linguistic continuity please because I'm a little confused. =X

TY!

No need to feel out of place. I've gotten a comment about this already: that sometimes my style seems a little British, but my spelling is US.

With the onset of the Harry Potter Series, and TV shows like Buffy, and British movies here in the US a lot of teens have take on speech patterns and use words normally saved solely for the UK. I hear people say, 'bloody hell' all the time around here. "Southern Mississippi"

Yanno, was a Houston thing. Nothing Brit about that one. They may use it as well. And 'Yeah', is becoming almost as used as 'Right' at the end of sentences. So it just doesn't matter anymore where you are at.

I purposely made the setting in "Do it Right" to be ambiguous. Other than being set in or near a major metropolitan area, it could be anywhere in the US. Some people like to get as detailed as possible with their surroundings ie: "He drove 3 miles to the I-10 and followed it to the Wirt street exit and turned right."

It's annoying filler unless it's pertinent to the storyline. I like to say, "We drove to the mall." Let the reader fill in the blanks on certain things and they feel more into the story. It lets them fill in those missing holes with their neighborhoods. Thus a stronger connection to the storyline. Neat, right?

Thanks for reading!

Lili

Sorry for confusing you.

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Figures of Speech…

Yanno has been around in the UK since I was a child in the 1940s—except it took the form of "yuh-know". It is still in use, mainly among the less educated (I'm not a snob, really) who use it as a filler to give themselves thinking-time; many also use the ubiquitous "Erm" as an alternative. With today's teenagers, it seems to have been replaced by "like", like. Very Valley Girl, like—not to mention the ubiquitous "cool" or "kewl" as a term of approval.

I sometimes mourn expressions such as "top-hole", "topping", "wizard" and that expressive description of excellence, "bang on", often in the shape of "absolutely bang on." And don't forget that favourite of the RAF (Royal Air Force) during WW2, "wizard prang".

Including such expressions in a story all goes to help create a touch of authenticity.

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

TY!

I agree. I find a lot of dialog I read to be very stilted and dry. It's like writers aren't really listening to the way people actually speak. Contractions, and slang are the most underused things in stories such as ours. People do not speak properly hardly anywhere outside of a upper crust social. Profanity, even light profanity as I use in this story, is commonplace. Slang, equally so.

It makes the story real, because it "is" real.

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Wizard prang ...

... can have serious consequences. A 'prang' is a crash; I'm not quite sure what a 'wizard' one might be except one you walk away from aka a 'landing' :) I'm afraid my only experience of expressions like 'top hole' comes from reading Wodehouse or Blyton. Not very common in the coal mining community I grew up in. 'Yanno' in my context might be 'Tha knows' LOL

Another splendid episode Lilith. Be careful - you're getting dangerously near cliché land at times what with parental photographs and shoe shopping. Just one thing; can you please post at a different time? The current schedule seems to be right at my bedtime and I can't resist reading the further adventures. It's spoiling my much needed beauty sleep ;)

Geoff

(snicker)

Sorry about the posting times. I write until I get somewhere between 80-100k in size and then post it. In all fairness I've posted at a number of different times throughout the day so far. Depending on what goes on tomorrow, I'll see what I can do about getting it out early. It depends on how long my fingers hold out tonight.

(wink)

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Hum, Wizard Prang, a Wizard Prang?

To this Yank it sounded a bit naughty, like something a comrade in arms would say after catching friend mid-coitus with the commanding officers very sexy, very willing, and very under aged twin daughters. My inner 13 year-old boy laughed his a** off.

That or a cocky male sorcerer’s *other* magic staff or so he claims the young sorceresses say.

Slang is not only cultural and regional but also related to social class, profession and so on.

John in Wauwatosa

Great story, most entertaining yet with a seriousness lurking in the background

John in Wauwatosa

TY!

Thanks! there's always room for seriousness. It makes the humor more evident when I use it. (wink)

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

It's the spelling!

Being from the same general area of the country, I'm used to hearing the slang contraction of 'you know' also. However I would spell it more like 'yaknow' to portray it as it is said, both words run together. But I would be tempted to write 'ya know' or even 'ya kno' just to make it easier to understand by the reader.

But yeah, the other word usage is fairly common, yeah? Yeah!

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Yeah

I can see that. I guess it's up to the writer. I've seen it spelled all sorts of ways, right, yeah, yanno? (wink)

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Only $300!!

joannebarbarella's picture

For a Fendi bag! That's a steal! Chloe really gave Cas a bum steer there, assuming it wasn't a knock-off. OK, so Teddy bear got another chance and not a Mark in sight. When is he going to show Cas his etchings? Oops! I mean his sketches.
How accurate does he have to be in solving the algebraic equation? How long does it take to buy the tickets and the popcorn and get to the seats in the cinema? What is the time required for acceleration out of the sub-division and deceleration off the freeway? Is speeding allowed? How long does it take to park the car? Will you answer all these vital questions and others in the next instalment?
I love the characters, and isn't Ted lucky his name isn't Richard?
Joanne

TY!

I bought a Fendi at Macy's in Houston for $400. The range at the time (last year) was 300-600. So the one Cas was looking at was on the low end.

Mark will be back in Chap.5 We still have to go on the date. (wink)

LOL, I thought about putting those variables into the Algebra question, but we don't want to overwhelm Ted just out of the gate, yeah?

I toyed with the Richard thing, but thought that a little cruel, even for the clueless Head family. Poor Ted. (snicker).

Thanks for reading!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Richard Head…

…was used in one of the At Aunt Greta's chapters by Gabi. She gave it to one of the "plonkers" who molested the heroine. Gabi has a great talent for naming her characters, for example, Kristal Ball, Juniper Berry and a teacher, Miss Tickell, who's parents gave her the first name Theresa which gets shortened to the inevitable "Tess"! Poor lady, as if "Miss Tickell" (say it quickly) wasn't bad enough…

Another excellent chapter, BTW.

Hilary

Yay! *claps hands*

I really like this story a lot, and I mean a LOT. Alas, I have never had a chance to go shoe shopping like that. The most pairs of shoes I have ever owned at one time is I think fifteen, with at least nine of those being different varieties of sneaker.

And I liked the nickname 'Teddy bear'. That would be almost sickeningly cute to see used- if you don't, I might have to name a character Ted at some point just so I can.

Casidhe really needs to watch that flirting- she's getting dangerous! And I think from her actions we can safely say there is no way that Casidhe could ever be considered a 'boy'- she enjoys herself waaay too much.

Melanie E.

TY!

Thank you! I went with a friend on a shoe spree much like I detailed in the story. She received a massive tax refund and splurged. The manager actually told her to pull around back so that she didn't have to lug around so many boxes... the bitch! LOL.

Teddy Bear... Hmmm, I'll see if I can use it... oh! I know how. (grins madly)

I don't think Casidhe really knows what she's doing sometimes, and definitely doesn't know what those sexy schoolgirl skirts do to boys.

Thanks for reading, Melanie!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Don't you dare stop writing

If you continue to treat us spoilt like that, we won't be able to wait a single second when we'll have to.
That being said, don't you ever dare posting the next chapter (evil grin)

just joking :)
and really enjoying your work.

Mildred

TY!

Thanks, Mildred

Well I'm going through a hot time here with my writing. I've got to spoil someone, so it might as well be the girls and guys at BC! They, and you are showing me the love and that's all I really need for motivation!

Thanks for reading!!!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I'm really enjoying this

I'm really enjoying this story!

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue

TY!

Thank you, Brute! I'm enjoying you reading it as well!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Sum days? Sorry math joke

Diesel Driver's picture

Some days you're the windshield and some days, you're the bug.

Chris

Another great chapter

Lili

Thanks for another chapter of your fab story.

Hugs

Alys

TY!

Thank you, Alys, for reading!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

superior

rebecca.a's picture

right now, this is easily the best writing on bc.


not as think as i smart i am

Another.... date..... with Ted?

This was by far the most interesting chapter of all. You even made me laugh through it sarting with this paragraph:

Apparently, the Nailiphiles thought that I was a very bad person. I was relegated to sticking my feet and hands into some weird soapy water for much longer than Chloe had to soak. Then some weird Nazi-Asian lady took to my heels with a rock that she apparently found out in the parking lot or something. I swear it sounded like she was scraping away for gold.

That is funny. Nailiphiles huh, I will have to use that the next time I have my nails done. LOL. This is getting deeper and deeper into affairs of the heart territory. Will the newest cool girl in school and Ted actually become an "official" item? Interesting. Waiting patiently to see where this is going to end up. Thank you for sharing.

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forebearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

TY!

Thanks Barbara!

Characterizations will be increasing over the next few chapters. You've met the gang, now we have to see what makes them tick.

I've been calling them Nailologists for years. Nailiphiles was a new name I came up with for this chapters and I like it better, because of the play on words.

Thanks for reading!!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Not sure

if I commented before, but I, too, like your story. Keep it up!!!

Good plot, good characters and good writing. The story flows effortlessly across the page. I just love the 'Sunflower VW', but then I drive a yellow car.

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry

Sorry, Brandie I totally missed this comment. "GO! Yellow cars!!" Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's always nice to hear that I am on the right track!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I cried

I cried when I read this the first time. I've reread it twice this afternoon, and the first part of this chapter still makes me cry. I can feel Cas's pain when I read this, and I want to hug her myself. Not only is this a good story, it is a well-written good story. Thank you Lilith.

Awww

Don't cry, echic! We've all been in that situation before. Ahh, I remember my first breakdown, well, not fondly, but still.

And thank you for reading and commenting!!!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

True friends

True friends like Chloe are so difficult to find, Glad to see that Cas is realising just that, Also its nice to see her finally accepting her true self and enjoying the one thing all girls enjoy! Shopping for clothes, Shoes ,Make-up, Accessories ....oh and maybe just a few more clothes!........hugs Kirri.

TY!

Shopping is always fun, and Cas has to be indoctrinated properly. LOL.

Thanks for reading and commenting Kirri!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Getting better ...

... with each new posting. Keep up the good work.

- vessica

TY!

Thanks Vessica!

More coming soon!

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Just reminding myself

The scene at the start of this chapter, then the following one with Chloe that night are truly incredible, why I like your writing, Lilith. No, make that love.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

TY!

Thank you, Karen! Taken from real life. Sigh... there were certain portions of my childhood that really sucked, but were made manageable through the efforts of close friends.

Lili

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Nobody does it better...

Just when you think our cocky, confident heroine can't be brought down, walking with her head in the clouds over Mark, the captain of the baseball team(boy, what a sleaze we know that guy's gonna be. You know the type... the one that has a girlfriend except when she's not around?) her best friend knocks her knees from under her (with a baseball bat? Ok, couldn't resist the metaphor. Sue me!) reminding her that she is... 'a boy'....

Pathos. Genuine pathos and despair, without resorting to the maudlin.

Of course our heroine right there is ready to quit, withdraw into her/his shell and that's when Chloe proves to be the genuine article... a best friend that picks her back up and dusts her off and oh... WON'T LET HER QUIT!!!

As for this chapters 'gems'

I really thought :

I turned around and looked at the really bored…um, nail people. What do you call the people that clip your nails? Nailoloigists? Oh, I know, Nailiphiles… get it? Nail-i-philes – Nail-files? Oh, forget it. My superior humor is wasted on the plebes.

Was going to win it. With honorable mention to the Asian Nazi lady with the parking lot stone, banana smoothies, buffalo prints, Dad!Ted and others(too many to list. Too many to list!) getting honorable mentions, but then we had:

Ding Dong! Cross dressing tutor calling!

Grrrrr.....

You made it real, her pathos. And the overeager parents who almost shove their slightly geeky son at you? So real....

What was that you say? You're name is Langtree? Lilith Langtree?

You know it's not polite to smirk when you're blowing the smoke away from the barrel of your literary gun, don't cha?

Grrrr....

Is that a...

Diesel Driver's picture

Sly smirk... Is that a "chekhov's" gun? Not to be confused with a "Chekov's" gun, which is a phaser.

Chris

Algebra

Oh dear, I'm a geek, I've worked it out...

I reckon the journey will take a minimum of 9.24 minutes - assuming acceleration / deceleration is infinite and you travel at the speed limit all the way.

Of course, you could cheat and come up with an approximate figure which isn't unnecessarily precise:
35 mph for 1.7 miles - let's say 30mph for 2 miles, which would be 4 minutes.
55 mph for 5.8 miles - let's say 60mph for 6 miles, which would be 6 minutes. Total time: 10 minutes.

Remember: 60mph = a mile a minute. 30mph is half that, so a mile every 2 minutes. Nice easy figures to work with :)

In reality, assuming clear roads, 10 minutes would be an absolute minimum, but budgeting 15-20 would be more realistic.

If you add on finding a parking space, going to the loo, buying popcorn, getting to the seats etc., allow up to half an hour.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Didn't your

Diesel Driver's picture

Didn't your signature block used to be in binary only? It's a little difficult to tell the difference between 10 in base 2 and 10 in base 3. unless of course you convert it to Base 10. so 2 & 3

Chris

Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 4)

I like the way that Casidhe takes the phrase ;Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All; to heart. With Chloe's help, she will succeed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What for Algebra?

I love how Casidhe explains the use of Algebra in everyday life.
Sure Algebra per-se is very dry theory and no fun. But OTOH the teachers should just say "It is a requirement for graduation", but rather have several real life applications ready as example.

They did that when I took it

Diesel Driver's picture

That was one of those word problems that everyone hated. I was great with the formulas and aced the first 6 tests in Alg 1, don't remember what I got on the rest of the tests in Alg 2 but I got A's in both. Flunked out of 3 because I was going through a divorce and never went back. Spent a year and a half living in a 16' trailer in my sisters driveway and lost custody of the boys before I finally found another job. Yeah things sucked back then some too. Carter was almost as bad as Obama.

Chris

This is a lot of fun

Diesel Driver's picture

Somewhere Casidhe has to take a look at sites for females stuck in male bodies and realize that she CAN have a visit from the Titty Faerie if she just finds the right doctor to prescribe the proper meds.

Chris

I would...

have paid to see her kick Ted!dad and whack mom with the purse.
great chapter, thanks

*gigglesnortlaughgaspsnerk*

Oh my gosh! Don't think I've ever laughed so much at what somebody said between lines of dialog. But there's lots more than humor here. There's also wit, heart, and depth to this story. Thanks so much for sharin' it, Lilith! :)