Michael Chabon's "Gentlemen of the Road"

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Michael Chabon's 2007 tale, Gentlemen of the Road, a picaresque short novel set in 10th-century Khazaria (Eastern Europe/Western Asia, near the Caspian and Black Seas) and environs, is now out

in trade paperback here in the U.S. Fun story in the spirit of adventure novels from a century ago, with cute old-fashioned chapter headings (e.g., Chapter Nine: On Anxieties Arising from the Impermissiblity, However Unreasonable, of an Elephant's Rounding Out a Prayer Quorum).

As the risk of exposing a spoiler which is important to the story but wouldn't slip past anyone who reads stories here, there's some TG content significant to the plot.

Eric

(ISBN 978-0-345-50207-0, from Del Rey Books.)

Thanks Eric

rebecca.a's picture

I'm kind of ambivalent about Chabon, probably because i didn't get all the hype about 'Kavalier and Clay', but this setting sounds more interesting. I'll check it out.

not as think as i smart i am

Does Chabon always do this?

Lynda shermer's picture

Does Chabon always do this? The film version, at least, of Wonder Boys has a cameo of a crossdressed individual...

Latest_me.jpgLynda Shermer

Not as Far as I Know...

Besides this one, I think I've only read Kavalier and Clay and The Yiddish Policeman's Union from him, and neither had a CD or TG that I can recall, though I didn't read any of the three recently. (Like the previous commenter, I was a little disappointed in K&C after the acclaim it received; I did think YPU had a clever premise and was well written.)

Eric