Oklahoma, where the bigotry comes whistling from the bench...

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Saw this news story go by, and was appalled! It's been years since I've seen judicial rulings this ignorantly anti-trans. And the coverage isn't particularly enlightened, eihter. I really hoped we were beyond this, now, but apparently not. And seriously, why is a civil judge citing the bible (badly) for his rationale? Remind me to stay far away from that part of the country.

Judge denies name changes to trans people

wonder what will happen to me if i changed my name

I am guess if I tried to change my name I will most likely be thrown in jail. What I think I need to do is go to NYC, do the name change there, then move to the middle of nowhere, maybe a nice cave. And then, after maybe 5 years, rejoin civilization

Katie Leone (Katie-Leone.com)

Writing is what you do when you put pen to paper, being an author is what you do when you bring words to life

One question though

Since the judge said that part of the rason he denied the change is because the people would still have male DNA, was he told what their DNA test results were?

:(

Hopefully not a prevalent opinion. The other older woman it says appealed the ruling.

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Oh dear

From DNA evidence to Genesis....no surprises there then.

Hehe!

The tale's started doing the rounds on social networks.

The comment by the person sharing the link was "Well now. Christian Law has already invaded Oklahoma. Time to remove a judge."

One response: "But I bet he has no problem listening to Johnny Cash's "Boy named Sue" I am afraid that is no judge. He is a poser and needs to be removed."

Another: "What about names that go both ways?"

Needless to say, the first few dozen comments on the article page (I saw the general gist but didn't read all 200+) were scathing about the judge...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Robin or Dana?

I wonder what he would have done, if they had chosen the name Robin or Dana or any of the others that are used for both boys and girls?

Graves was a state legislator

Graves was a state legislator for 24 years, and his replacement is Sally Kerns, a blatently anit-gay successor and wife of a Mt. Olive Baptist Church minister who preaches against gays, same sex marriage, and adoption by gay partners. All three are bigots of the worst kind, they hide their agenda behind religion. They were organizers of a religious convocation to decide how to deal with the "Gay Agenda" in January of this year, and it was attended by similar ilk from Colorado, Utah, and Texas.

Friends of mine were able to marry legally after both had SRS but one delayed getting the birth certificate change until after the legal marriage. Graves tried to dissolve their marriage on religious grounds. He failed. The other judges in Oklahoma have done all they can to limit Graves role in the judicial process, as they know him to be a flaming bigot of the worst sort. I have always wondered if the man "doth protest too much" over the gay agenda.

CaroL

CaroL

New Names?

>> refuses to let men planning sex-change operations have feminine names <<

This is completely hosed! If men are getting bottom and/or top surgery, I think they should have Male names.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Name Change

What happen to the separation of Church and State that keeps being stated??

Richard

Don't break your arm

Patting yourself on the back. There are plenty of things like this going on in the other 49 states. I'm hoping he finally screwed the pooch with this one. I think its almost a sure thing that he'll come up for review this time. Okla. County has already had one judge removed from the bench this year, with a little luck this will make two. Maybe not for what he did, although that will be the reason given. I figure they'll throw him out for being so stupid about it and getting all the bad publicity going. One unnamed official in the court system reportedly said that if she (the latest TG "victim") had just come to them they would have gotten it straightened out with no fuss (no bad publicity). But she went to the TV station instead and that tied their hands. The "good-ol-boy network" in Oklahoma is alive and well.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Why put the word victim in quotes?

What meaning were the quote marks round the word victim supposed to convey? It doesn't look like direct speech was being quoted.

As for those anonymous court officials; I wonder if any of them took the trouble to inform the lady who'd just been turned down by a judge, that they could somehow quietly fix it for her. I also wonder exactly how it could be fixed without some sort of appeal and court procedure. They sound like victim-blamers to me.

Best wishes, Andrea.