Pen state sex abuse case

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I've haven't heard many details, but what I've heard is enough to bring tears to my eyes. Darn it, what the heck is WRONG with people?

This

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell I tried to post a link but it disappears... I give up. lol

Just google search Penn State Sex Abuse and you'll find it.

It goes beyond that...they took it entirely seriously!

Andrea Lena's picture

...the school knew as early as 2002 that Sandusky, their former defensive coach was molesting boys. He was observed hurting a boy by a graduate assistant (later minor coach) and the man reported it to the school via channels. No investigation was done by the campus police, and they never did anything other than to warn Sandusky not to bring children from his foundation onto school property; an action which he repeated over and over. That the school knew about it and that this man is only now being indicted by a grand jury speaks volumes about the greed and corruption of the school administration. This could have been stopped nine years ago. I am angry and hurt beyond words, as I know everyone here is as well. This is evil!

Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Links

erin's picture

There are multiple ways to include a link. The simplest is to just type or copy and paste the link, starting with either http:// or www.

The page software will automatically turn such things into links.

You can also write your own link code using html.

Or use the link button which is the first button on the second line of the mini-editor. Highlight a word, hit the link button, then type or paste in the link into the box provided.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Well, see that's what's so

Well, see that's what's so odd. I copy and pasted it directly in here and I also wrote an html code for it but when I went to actually *post* the comment the link wouldn't show up. Next time I'll try the built in "link button". Maybe that'll help.

Until recently, rape in the UK was a charge that only appled to female victims. Males were only "assaulted", and when I read the term "involuntary deviate sexual intercourse" I thought "WTF?"

While rape is always rape, there are levels to it. The rape of a child is perhaps the worst, though I would bow to the feelings of actual victims. I tried to address some of the issues in two stories here, and one at least drew heavily on real cases in the UK, but this particular case has shocked me. My 'Sweat and Tears' was all about complicity in rape, about people who were part of the system. This case here...words almost fail me. This was about someone who was NOT complicit, in the sense of sharing the 'taste', who witnessed the rape of a child and did nothing whatsoever to stop it. I am with Dorothy; excuse me while I throw up. In tears of my own at this.

Priorities

It is a sad comment on Society, and its addiction to gladiatorial sports in general, that there was a student demonstration in support of the deposed coach.

It is argued that he was not complicit, and if he did not actually take part in the abuse that would be true as a narrow point of law. But there is often a very wide gap between legality and morality. In my book the coach is as complicit as anyone in what amounts to a cover-up. By facilitating an environment in which the abuse could continue for many years, he is complicit in that abuse, IMHO. (They came for the communists and I did not speak out...)

So my own disgust extends to those demonstrating students; to the members of media who reported the demonstration with no condemnation, explicit or implicit: and to the large segment of the population to whom those members of the media were pandering.

Xi

PS As a Brit, my view of coaches is formed by what I read, and not just here. There are good coaches - human beings - in the stories here, but they seem to be outnumbered, possibly three or four to one, by the animals. Are they that bad?

Coaches

LibraryGeek's picture

To a very great extent coaches are evaluated based upon one thing, how their team did this season. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. While there are good coaches, who really care about how their players develop as human beings, schools with a heavy emphasis on the part of alumni on sports tend to focus more on winning the game than on shaping decent human beings. Jocks are Big Men on Campus when the school has a disproportionate emphasis upon sports, and success in sports. While there are jocks who do well academically, the norm is to get by, counting on sports to pave their way. While I don't know the reality, the stereotype is that jocks can get away with a lot that others wouldn't be allowed to, if they are having a winning season. Schools push their athletic programs, because alumni who are into sports are vocal in their support.

Anyway, much is forgiven a coach with a winning team, or so it seems.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I was so disgusted as well

Hi Dorthy, I was going over some of your earlier stories and saw this post, I was so horrified a few days later my eldest son had sent me the link to the Grand Jury transcript and it is far worse than the news is making it out to be. Very disturbing that a school like Penn state could cover up and ignore such things is very telling about the greed and morality of those in positions of power to do some thing.

The other thing that really disgusted me was how the students rallied around these guys like they were unjustly accused, guess it just shows how much college students really read in school. I think ALL the universities need to seriously re-think their educational priorities and adjust their morality compasses.

That's all I'll say on the matter the rest you can surmise from my personal horror. I hope they are all punished some where in time.

Nikki Thong

"Be loving, forgiving, open, happy, sharing, thoughtful, musical, cry a little everyday, but for goodness sakes be honest with yourself!"
"Satin makes me sooooo happy! Giggles!"

Nikki Thong

"Be loving, forgiving, open, happy, sharing, thoughtful, musical, cry a little everyday, but for goodness sakes be honest with yourself!"
"Satin makes me sooooo happy! Giggles!"