why superman can't be in the ret-con universe

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I found this clip, and I think it shows why Superman would not work in the "Ret-Con" universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y5wXId_uz4

why superman can't be in the ret-con universe

And of the villains and heroes in the D.C. Verse, only Shazam! Captain Marvel, Doomsday, or another Marvel or Kryptonian can match him, or possibly Martian Manhunter.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

To paraphrase The Graduate

laika's picture

Lex Luthor: Jimmy, I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Jimmy Olsen: Yes, sir.
Lex Luthor: Are you listening?
Jimmy Olsen: Yes, I am.
Lex Luthor: Kryptonite.

Besides, as heretical as this might sound, a superhero story's main conflict doesn't always have to get down to slugging it out (I usually fastforward those parts in animated features...), though it might take some extra inspiration to come up with a different plot that doesn't bog down into a morass of introspection & is true to the action-oriented originals.
~hugs, Powergirl

Superpowers

erin's picture

Back in the fifties, Superman was even more powerful than in today's stories. He could move whole star systems, easily travel in time, even change shape, though he did that one only a few times. Nothing could hurt him except kryptonite, a red sun or magic. And he had been that powerful since infancy. And yet, there were 4 to 8 Superman stories every month. Some were very clever, some were silly but man, it couldn't have been easy to write them!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Well, given his perpetual frustration...

Puddintane's picture

...he doubtless spent a lot of time putzing around trying to keep busy and think pure thoughts.

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex by Larry Niven

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

lol... he's just a bit op? I

lol... he's just a bit op? I guess this is why I never really liked these super hero stories. He started out as the most powerfull bastard on the planet... Even Son Goku had to learn to fight...

Interesting clip

But I don't see that it makes any difference one way or the other.

It did cross my mind that Superman better have damned good liability insurance! How would you write that policy?

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ya superman is the embodiment of an over powered hero

He would be a real challenge to write, but doesn't mean he should be X off the list. simple solution like other have said would be introspection type plots. Another option since it retcon would be to make him less powerful i.e. somewhere on par with the other characters.

Like Darkice said

"Another option since it retcon would be to make him less powerful i.e. somewhere on par with the other characters."

Given that several authors have admitted to altering their character's powers, leaving some out or altering them, I don't see any reason why superman can't be altered the same way.

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Not just Superman...

You probably wouldn't want Darkseid in the CRU either, since he seems to have got into a scrap with Superman on several occasions. Heck, there's one clip of him ramming the globe on the top of the Daily Planet building into it, which causes the entire building to collapse, with each floor exploding en-route. Then again, Superman using him as a missile and launching him on a trajectory that passes through several skyscrapers before punching a huge hole in the ground strikes me as a little naughty of him, as presumably that would have caused several deaths and injuries.

I'm guessing that episode dates back to before 2001...

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Superman

Enemyoffun's picture

Yeah he'd be impossible but if a talented writer were to take on Supergirl she could be done. It might take some serious overhauling especially with a power base but a very talented writer could pull that off nicely. :)

EOF

Mentioning no names...

... while watching a certain very productive author look around and whistle innocently...

(Helpful hint: I fail on both counts!)

--B

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Kryptonian Counterpart

Supergirl is ok, but there are a couple of reasons why Powergirl would be more fun to use in a TG story.

I know which two reasons

erin's picture

I started a Power Girl retcon but it got stalled due to life in general, perhaps I can get going again. I have it all plotted out. It features Dazzler and Jimmi Olsen as Dial H for Her, too. :)

Hugs,
Erin

Part of me so wants to take

Part of me so wants to take the statement "why superman can't be in the ret-con universe" as a challenge and run with it, I can already formulate several ways that it could be made to come to pass. I'm shutting up now as a wicked idea just came to me and I'm gonna go think about it.

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Ideas to rein in Superman

Well, as a thought... you could always have Superman at odds with the Spectre. Considering the historical weakness to magic... and the Spectre's bloody minded approach to evil, you could very easily see a situation where Superman's powers are bounded by the Spectre's.

Not to mention that Batman kicked Superman's behind in 'the Dark Knight returns' graphic novel.

Overpowered Heroes

It's not that they can't be written into the universe, it's that they can't be written into the universe as is.

I have a big ol' statement on the CRU page that says something to the effect of "These types of characters have to be okayed through me."

They would be significantly powered down to the point where they would almost be unrecognizable except for the name. There's a reason that we don't have flying powerhouses running around in every city. The CRU isn't about the hero as much as it's about the person behind the mask or cape.

That's the point I've been trying to get across to budding writers that are wanting to jump in the pool. The powers are great and all, but we've read the comics already. They're cool and all, but that's not what we're trying to accomplish.

Take a look at EOF's Some kind of Wonderful if you want to see how to power down an overpowered character. It's some really good work.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Version of Superman

I have written one using the powers as he was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and in D.C.'s Action Comics #1. As I have come across, Think more of a human version of the Marvel's Hulk.

Golden Age Kryptonians

Enhanced Leaping, Advanced Sight, Ultra-Hearing, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Parabolic Hearing, Sonic Speed, Hardened Skin, Iron Will

The Perils of Supersperm

laika's picture

Years ago I read a scholarly treatise penned by a drunken science fiction author on why Superman and Lois Lane could never consummate their love for each other. Yet they seem to have gotten around that.

So there's always a way in comicsdom, where nobody stays dead and logic and continuity are no permanent barrier to a neat story idea.

Like imagine Clark Kent growing up transgender, where the last thing she wants to be is a "Man of Steel" (And maybe being a bit on the submissive side sexually, relishing the idea of being overpowered? Oh cruel fate!). But that one's so obvious it's probably been done already...
~~hugs, Callie Elle

While we are at the topic

While we are at the topic super heroes. Here's the most hillarious Turtles parody I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqQGmbAFCI

------------
"Die Gedanken sind frei / Sie fliegen vorbei
Kein Mensch kann sie wissen / kein Jäger sie schiessen
Mit Kugeln und Blei / Die Gedanken sind frei"

------------
"Die Gedanken sind frei / Sie fliegen vorbei
Kein Mensch kann sie wissen / Kein Jäger sie schießen
Mit Kugeln und Blei / Die Gedanken sind frei"