Roadkill

Printer-friendly version

"Look, John, they're a major client and they need the help now. What can I say? This is important and urgent."
"For heaven's sake Matt, I booked tomorrow off months ago so I could take Jane away for the weekend! I can't call her now and say it's off!"
"You don't have to cancel, just leave a bit later, for goodness sake!"
"I'll be dead beat! We've got to be at Heathrow by 6am!"
"I'll pay you double time."
In the pause, I heard only the engine thrumming, the steady beat of the wipers, and the rush of the road noise.
"Triple," I said.
There was some muffled sound at the other end, probably of an expletive nature.
My left hand tugged gently at the wheel as the road curved left, the road's rumble changing slightly with the body roll as I cornered.
"Okay, triple - just this once."
I smiled and let the castor action pull the wheel back through my fingers as the road swung back.
"Something in what you say," I drawled smugly, "is suddenly very persuasive, Matt"
Then I shouted:
"Oh fuck!!"

The next two seconds seemed to last for several minutes. I dropped the phone and grabbed both hands to the wheel, slamming the brake down hard, the ABS cutting in as the grip slipped on the wet road. The Audi's tail began to slew and I pulled the wheel into the skid. But it was too late, I'd not seen him in time and I was already almost on top of the slight figure who'd appeared from nowhere.

THUMP!

I vaguely registered the voice on my mobile desperately shouting: "John, John, are you okay?..." The engine ticked over smoothly, the car in neutral. The door clunked as I pulled the lever and leapt out into the soft hiss of the drizzle.

********

My mind was blank, pure adrenaline and fear. Then I started to rationalise.

He had walked straight out in front of me, no warning.
Stupid pedestrians have no idea about visibility.
In driving drizzle in the evening twilight, on an unlit forest road, I had surely had no chance of seeing him even with my dipped beams on.
Blah blah.

That he was not wearing high visibility clothing was confirmed as I rounded the front of my car and saw him lying there in the light of my headlamps, wearing his grey-green coloured all-in-one, with the hood up, almost invisible in gloom.

Then he spoke.

"Vokink whomain. Ha Vowajd drue dvendi birriom kirromidas ov jeep shpashe du ked runova vy ju, vokink jikhed."

"S-sorry, you're not from round here, are you?" I replied, rather impertinently given his accent. I looked into his eyes, which seemed to have no sclerotic, just black pools, and I wondered what drugs he must be on, his face gaunt, his pointy chin and prominent cheekbones apparent through thin stretched skin. His pallid complexion suggested a long period of unhealthy living.

"Vokink jikhed, vy joan ju rook veh jaw koin."
"Sorry mate, I don't understand you." I said softly, aware there was something angry in his tone, but unable to make sense of his words. "I'd better call the ambulance."

As I was about to turn to retrieve my phone from the car, he stretched out a hand, raised his head slightly and opened his mouth. I moved closer to listen, tentatively, aware he might be carrying a knife or something.

"Ju kirred meh, ju jikhed. I'rr ditch ju a resson, jikhed, I'rr dake jaw jik avay!" and he grabbed my ankle.
I felt his clammy, bony mits close around my ankle. For a second my ankle seemed to become hot as an involuntary shudder went right through me. Then his head fell back and, to my amazement, he seemed to shrivel and melt away, leaving a gooey, smelly jumpsuit behind, exuding a wisp of steam. But there was no body inside.

I stepped back in dismay, and was shocked into awareness as a horn blared and there was a screech of tyres. A car whipped past and with a rasp of rubber on wet tarmac, as the car stopped abruptly.

The reversing light came on and the car reversed quickly until it was a few feet away. The driver's door opened and again I tensed for danger, but the man who got out quickly stepped up to me with a look of concern on his face and looking down into my eyes he said:

"Are you alright miss, you look as though you've seen a ghost?"
 


up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I brake for grays

laika's picture

Interesting. One of the more pared back transformation stories I've read. Just a hot ankle, a shudder,
and a passer-by's seeming confusion about the narrator's sex to let us know anything has occured.
The constructed language was priceless. The dying creature zhoor dichd jim a resson awziht;
But if the readers here get wind of this it'll be open season on "little green men"...
~~~hugs, Laika

Gobbledygook

Was the alien/zombie/whatever actually saying something? I sure could use a translation!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Translation

erin's picture

This is of the last thing the alien said:

"Ju kirred meh, ju jikhed. I'rr ditch ju a resson, jikhed, I'rr dake jaw jik avay!"
"You killed me, you dickhead. I'll teach you a lesson, dickhead. I'll take your dick away!"

In the aliens speech, initial d and y become j, t becomes d. r becomes w, l becomes r and w becomes v. The vowels are moved toward the middle, so long e becomes either short e or short i. O becomes short a or short o.

It sounds like someone who is talking while holding the tip of their tongue between their fingers. :) I used to tell stories to little kids while doing that, they would laugh so hard they sometimes had accidents. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Bad Axent

Oh the dangers of using a mobile phone whilst driving...

You were right about the bad accent though...

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Very Good, Erin!

I transslated it that way, too.

I didn't do it systematically. I was almost ready to go on to the next story, but I saw: (J)u ki(rr)ed me(h) => u ki??ed me... Oh, you killed me! Then I tried to fit words to the other phrases. After a few iterations, I had it

Neat story, Alice; very clever.

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Lovely Kind Big Closet Folk

Ah you lot are always so generous.
Glad you got it, and even seem to have enjoyed it.
I didn't expect a linguist who could actually speak alien in the readership. I'll have to write home and tell them!
Many thanks friends.
XX
AD

Roadkill

Gotta watch out for jaywalkers.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine