Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Tomatsu Ichikawa stopped looking at the glass in front of him and studied Hiromi Sato instead. He was fifty years old give or take a few years, and had a pockmarked face. A lit cigarette dangled from the man’s lips.

“Sato-san, how do you like my club?”

“It’s a club.”

Tomatsu grinned. “You would fit in well here.”

“I’m here to talk business.”

“So am I, Sato-san. If my bosses knew you were here....”

Hokusai View of Fuji off Kanagawa Province and Yokohama
Chapter Nine

Synopsis– Agent Chrysanthemum’s body is located and Gabrielle Tanaka makes contact with Hiromi Sato.

Thank you to Puddin and John for their help with this installment.
 

~*~

 
On the same weekend that the subtropical system pounded Japan, Hiromi reached the breaking point over the sluggish behavior of her work computer. Hiromi summoned Omar Rafique to the office of Watanabe Trucking on a Saturday afternoon.

“How may I help you, Sato-san?”

“My PC is very slow,” Hiromi replied. “This morning I had to re-boot the computer. When it re-started, all my Firefox bookmarks were gone.”

“Let me try to help you,” Omar said. A shuffling of office chairs then took place. When all was settled, Omar was seated behind the desk with Hiromi beside him.

While Omar ran a utility program to check her PC, Hiromi called Chuck. “Hi.”

“Kimi-chan, it’s good to hear from you. Are you home yet?”

“No, I’m at the office, but will be leaving shortly. You?”

“I just finished playing handball. Don’t forget we have that concert to go to tonight.”

“Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten.”

Chuck and Hiromi talked for about two more minutes. In the meantime, Omar finished the diagnostic tests he had run on Hiromi’s computer.

Omar didn’t speak until Hiromi hung up the phone. “I’d like to take your computer and run further tests.”

“Does it have a virus?”

The Indian computer programmer shrugged. “I don’t know, but to find out I’ll need at least a few hours with your PC.”

Hiromi thought for a few moments. “Yes, I want you to do that. I will need the computer back in the office on Monday.”

Before coming in to the offices of Watanabe Trucking, Omar had been spending a pleasant weekend with his latest Japanese girlfriend. Diagnosing and repairing Hiromi Sato’s computer was likely to be an all-weekend job. Omar would have to change his plans to accommodate his most important patron.

“I will do that, Sato-san. First we need to backup all your important files.”

Hiromi Sato was always cautious when it came to her important files. Every Friday she would make a backup disk before leaving work for the day. She mentioned this to Omar.

Omar so appreciated a computer novice who took precautions. He was far more accustomed to his clients having emotional meltdowns after Omar told them their computer has crashed and the data on it was now unretrievable. “That makes it so much simpler, Sato-san. If you can show me what you used today......”
 

~*~

 
Hiromi got her PC back on Monday morning as requested. While examining the machine, Omar found one worm and some malicious spyware on its hard drive. As a result, Omar decided it would be best to reformat the hard drive.

This work consumed almost all of Omar’s weekend. It was only in the wee hours of Sunday night/Monday morning that the computer programmer finished re-installing the last of the programs Hiromi Sato used. Omar then caught a few hours sleep, knowing he would need to be at Watanabe Trucking no later than 8 a.m.

Hiromi was very pleased when shown her refurbished computer on Monday morning. She even paid Omar a compliment, saying that the programmer did excellent work. After making sure Hiromi was no longer in need of his assistance, Omar left Watanabe Trucking. He was going straight home to get some badly needed sleep.

Five minutes after Omar left the office, Hiromi’s private line began to ring. “Hiromi Sato.”

“Granddaughter, how are you this beautiful day?”

“I am well, grandfather. Yourself?” Hiromi asked.

Keiji Watanabe didn’t answer his granddaughter’s question, but rather mentioned the horrible weather of the last few days.

After a minute of small talk, Keiji got down to business. “Granddaughter, have you read the article in today’s business newspaper?”

Hiromi hadn’t gotten around to that day’s Asian Wall Street Journal yet. “No, grandfather. May I ask what you are referring to?”

“It is on page 3A.”

Hiromi had the Asian Wall Street Journal next to her. She opened it to the page told her by Keiji Watanabe and began looking for the article in question. The article which was less than 200 words in length, was at the bottom left hand side of page 3A.

Its headline:

Central Nippon Wireless may re-state its 2006 and 2007 earnings.

“I see it, Grandfather,” Hiromi replied unemotionally. The purchase of Central Nippon had been an transaction made by Goro Watanabe, one Hiromi opposed from the outset. At the present time Goro Watanabe was out of Japan, since he and his wife Keiko had gone to Taiwan for a few days. Keiko Watanabe had a sister living in Taipei.

“Granddaughter, I would like to come to the office and have a discussion with you. If you’re not too busy.”

“No, Grandfather, come at once. I always have time for you.”
 

~*~

 
“Who is this Agent Concierge?” Deputy Director Grant Williamson asked at a Swan Song meeting two days later. Grant had only come back to Washington the previous evening. He and his wife had gone out of town for a few days, just like Goro Watanabe.

“She works for Keiji Watanabe,” Inspector Yoshida replied.

“What do we know about her?”

There wasn’t much for Inspector Yoshida to tell. Concierge had funneled gossip on the Watanabes to the police in the past but then suddenly stopped three years earlier.

“What would be her motive for coming forward now?” Gabrielle asked.

Inspector Yoshida probably gave the best answer. “We really don’t know.”

“No one ever asked her?” Grant Williamson asked.

“She was handled by a predecessor of mine. He is now retired but I spoke to Senior Inspector Yokura. Agent Concierge never disclosed her motive for informing. This is not unusual.”

“Can we arrange a meeting with Concierge?”

“Yes, we can,” Inspector Yoshida replied.

“Then start on it at once, Inspector.” Grant Williamson ordered Inspector Yoshida.

Agent Concierge wasn’t the only Swan Song business that needed to be discussed. In fact there were at least three more matters that needed attention.

The first was Operation Hornblower. An idea Gabrielle had pitched to Grant Williamson before he left on vacation. Surprisingly, the Deputy FBI Director saw some merit in Agent Tanaka’s idea and told her to run with it while he was away but not to implement it without his approval.

The other four members of the Swan Song committee had gotten both a summary, and a detailed report on Operation Hornblower. Only Grant Williamson had read the detailed report. He asked for Major Hollins and Inspector Yoshida to state their opinions.

“This could be risky for Agent Ripley,” Major Hollins said from an office at The Pentagon. Gabrielle found the Army Officer’s new found concern for Tom Slater appalling.

“The risk should be minimal. I see no reason not to try this,” Inspector Yoshida remarked.

Dr. Wagner then butted in. “If all of you have read my recent report, you may see the benefit of Agent Tanaka contacting Ripley. It may stir memories inside the Army Captain and result in a change of behavior.”

The report from Dr. Wagner had arrived in Gabrielle’s FBI emailbox the previous Saturday morning. It was thirty-one pages in length, but had a shorter two-page summary. After printing it off, Gabrielle spent most of her weekend reading Dr. Wagner’s report multiple times.

Dr. Wagner had put forth her theory, based on recent experiences with patients who had gotten the DNA therapy. That some develop multiple personas, their own and that of the DNA owner. It was Dr. Wagner and her team’s opinion that all recipients of the DNA therapy found themselves with a second persona inside their new body. Though for some unknown reason the persona was dormant in the body of some patients.

The report went on to describe how some patients maintained control of their new body, often using the memories and experiences of the other persona to their advantage. Swan Song was aware of this early on with Agent Ripley, but saw it as no threat to the Operation.

Most of Dr. Wagner’s report was hardly news to Gabrielle, particularly the parts where the German scientist and her team talked about the two personas inside a DNA patient’s body merging. Gabrielle knew this was happening with Tom Slater. What the report didn’t state was whether the mental changes could be reversed. The Double Helix project hadn’t taken the time or made the effort to study this.

It was pages 23 to 29 of Dr. Wagner’s report that were most relevant. It was there that the possibility of the DNA donor’s personality taking over a patient’s body was discussed, namely that Hiromi Sato could conceivably be in control of the body she shared with Tom Slater.

Neither Dr. Wagner nor her team had any experience with such an occurrence, but theorized it was possible. The cause? Some trauma that causes the patient’s persona to break down. Gabrielle wondered, even before she finished the report, whether Agent Chrysanthemum’s fate was somehow linked to what was happening with Tom Slater.

Grant Williamson appeared to be in agreement with Gabrielle. “Do you think a breakdown as you described is what happened here, Dr. Wagner?”

“I can’t say for certain, but yes, it is possible. Agent Ripley may have suffered a breakdown.”

“Agent Ripley is a trained member of the US military. He has seen action in Iraq. Do you....” Major Hollins began saying before Dr. Wagner cut him off.

“The strongest of people, even members of the military, can have a breakdown. It is what some call battle fatigue. Ja, it’s possible that is what happened with Ripley.”

“I agree,” Inspector Yoshida said from his Yokohama office. “Agent Chrysanthemum admitted at her debriefings that the Swan Song assignment was stressful. We have to assume it was the same for Agent Ripley also.”

All Swan Song members with the exception of Major Hollins seemed to be in agreement then. Deputy Director Williamson made his final decision. “Agent Tanaka you are to commence Operation Hornblower at once.”

“Yes, sir. I’ll be leaving Japan for Washington DC tomorrow then. Do you want me to personally report in while I’m in town, sir?”

“No, that’s not needed, just keep me informed. Is there any Swan Song matter that needs attention?”

Major Hollins brought up Operation Firecracker. He too had drawn up a operational plan plus a summary for all Swan Song members to read.

Gabrielle thought the plan to snatch Hiromi Sato was far too risky. She decided to withhold her counsel, especially after Inspector Yoshida first raised his own concerns.

“Firecracker is potentially hazardous to civilians who happen to be in the area when the Operation is being conducted.”

“I think we have to take that risk.” Major Hollins answered.

“Not on Japanese soil you won’t,” Inspector Yoshida replied angrily. “Not without approval first from my superiors or even possibly the Minister of the Interior.”

Grant Williamson then spoke up. “Inspector, I assure you Operation Firecracker won’t take place without prior approval from Japanese government. Major Hollins, I want you to appoint one of your men to do liaison work with the Japanese as to Operation Swan Song.”

“Yes, sir. Can we begin training for the Operation?”

“Yes, Major, provided that the Japanese authorities have no objections. I suggest you and Inspector Yoshida confer after this meeting is over.”

With no other business to discuss, the Swan Song meeting ended moments later. Gabrielle Tanaka stuck around the office a little while longer, taking time to read the thin file on Agent Concierge once again. Then as Gabrielle closed the file, two questions became foremost in her mind.

First, what was possibly motivating Ai Toguchi to betray Keiji Watanabe, the man she had married less than two months earlier? Second, could Ai Toguchi be of assistance in Gabrielle’s quest to save Tom Slater?
 

~*~

 
Goro Watanabe arrived back in Yokohama on Wednesday afternoon. It was not till the following morning that Keiji Watanabe got to confer with his nephew.

“I assure you, Uncle, Central Nippon is on sound financial footing.”

“Then what of these newspaper reports?”

“Malicious rumors, spread by the company’s competitors.”

“Hiromi-san advised you not to make this investment.”

Goro remained confident about Central Nippon’s future. “Yes, I recall that. I still see Central Nippon as a good investment. The internet is as they call it, the information super highway. People will need this service."

Keiji Watanabe accepted his nephew’s explanations for the time being. After all, what had been reported in the Asian Wall Street Journal were just rumors. A wise man doesn’t base his decisions on shadows.

If the rumors proved to be true, there would be serious consequences. Keiji Watanabe would have to re-assess the leadership of the Yakuza family he once led.
 

~*~

 
Later the same evening, Hiromi announced her plans for the next day to Chuck. Right at that moment, the engaged couple was listening to some classical music before going to bed. “I have business to conduct tomorrow in Osaka.”

“Oh,” Chuck replied back. He was a little bit surprised by Hiromi’s sudden announcement of a trip. “Is it Kanagawa bank business related?”

“Yes it is. Roger will be accompanying me.”

Chuck nodded his head. “When will you return to Yokohama?”

“Tomorrow night I think. If not the next day. Is that all right?”

The tall Australian gave Hiromi an extra strong hug with his right arm. “Of course it is. Have a safe trip, Kimi-chan.”

Hiromi’s day began at 5:00 am the next morning. She went through all her usual morning routines, except for any interplay with Chuck who was still fast asleep. When Hiromi was dressed, she emerged from the bedroom.

“Good morning, Miss Sato,” Said Juanita Perez, Hiromi’s cook/housekeeper. “I’ll have your coffee and breakfast shortly.”

Before Hiromi swallowed two forkfulls of the scrambled eggs served her, Roger Hyde entered the apartment. “Morning, boss.”

Hiromi didn’t speak till after she swallowed her breakfast and took time to wipe her mouth with a napkin. “Has everything been arranged for today?”

“Yes, boss, as you requested,” Roger said as he took a cup of tea offered to him by Juanita.

The trip to Osaka was made via All Nippon Airlines on a flight departing Tokyo-Haneda Airport. Roger and Hiromi both seated in first class, but across the aisle from one another. Hiromi used her time seated on All Nippon’s jet to read the news of the day as reported by the Asia Wall Street Journal and The International Herald-Tribune.

On arrival at Osaka’s Itami Airport, Hiromi and Roger went straight to the monorail station. The only baggage either had was of the carry-on variety. The monorail in combination with two railroad connections would take Hiromi and Roger to Osaka’s financial district. This travel method was complicated but less time consuming than making the trip by car.

A car awaited Hiromi and Roger outside Osaka’s Umeda Station. Before stepping in the vehicle, Roger and Hiromi were given a small package and a envelope respectively.

The staff of Kanagawa Bank’s Osaka office was expecting Hiromi Sato, but were still on edge when their employer arrived. Everyone Hiromi passed immediately jumped to their feet. As a Watanabe Saiko-komon, Hiromi was used to these signs of deference, knowing at the same time that they arose from fear.

Later on, Hiromi would use that fear to go somewhere without Roger Hyde knowing. First Hiromi had business to see to.

Hiromi had a small office at Osaka’s Kanagawa Bank branch despite her rare visits there. Not long after getting settled in, Hiromi had a steady stream of visitors. All but two summoned to discuss some banking matter with their visiting boss.

For the other two, Hiromi had unusual requests to make. “Sato-san, I don’t understand.” Said a clerical employee in her late twenties.

“Didn’t I make myself perfectly clear?

“Yes, Sato-san, but....”

“Just do it.” Hiromi commanded in a angry tone of voice. The female clerical worker said she would do as told. A meeting Hiromi had with another female office worker went similarly.

The first of Hiromi’s two unusual requests took place a few minutes before noon time. Roger Hyde was sitting outside his Taro’s office. Only five minutes earlier, lunch had been brought to Hiromi Sato.

Hearing a commotion from another part of the office. Roger Hyde went to check on it. A female office worker was laying on the floor. She had mysteriously collapsed moments earlier.

While Roger was out of position, Hiromi snuck out of her office. A door leading to a stairwell was ten feet from her office. By the time Roger was back in position, Hiromi was already one floor beneath him and still descending.

It was fourteen flights of stairs from Kanagawa’s office to the street below. Being a marathon runner and in excellent physical shape, Hiromi made the downward descent with ease. When she got to street level, Hiromi immediately began efforts to hail a cab. This took almost five minutes as it was lunch time and many cabs were already in use.

Hiromi had a rendezvous set for 12:30 that afternoon. Because of traffic, Hiromi only got out of her cab at 12:40. Hiromi was still two blocks away from her intended destination. A club called ‘The Mayflower.’

The Mayflower wasn’t open for business yet, but Hiromi was permitted to enter after a hulking brute of a man gave her a once over. Then Hiromi stepped into the smoke filled establishment, barely able to avoid gagging after just a few breaths of air.

Hiromi was late, but the person there to meet her was still patiently waiting. As she walked through the club, Hiromi got stared at by male and female employees alike who were preparing for another day of business.

There were reasons for this behavior. The Mayflower was first opened in the early days of the US occupation of Japan following World War II. In those days the club catered to military personnel. As the years went by and US forces withdrew and finally left the Osaka area entirely, The Mayflower became a different sort of business. One that offered adult entertainment and gambling.

With her surgically enhanced breasts, Hiromi fit in well with The Mayflower’s female workers, who entertained on stage and, if paid appropriately, also performed upstairs in a private suite. Hiromi’s expensive clothes meant nothing. Some of Mayflower’s female workers made well into six figure incomes in US dollars.

Hiromi ignored the stares she received. The person she had come to meet at The Mayflower was sitting at a back corner table. Hiromi took a seat directly opposite him.

Tomatsu Ichikawa stopped looking at the glass in front of him and studied Hiromi Sato instead. He was fifty years old give or take a few years, and had a pockmarked face. A lit cigarette dangled from the man’s lips.

“Sato-san, how do you like my club?”

“It’s a club.”

Tomatsu grinned. “You would fit in well here.”

“I’m here to talk business.”

“So am I, Sato-san. If my bosses knew you were here....”

Hiromi’s temper flared. “Tomatsu-kun, you know as I do that the Yamaguchis know I’m here today.”

The Yamaguchi-gumi Yakuza family was based out of Kobe but had its tentacles into Osaka. They owned The Mayflower, and employed Tomatsu Ichikawa to manage it. Like when she visited Kawasaki and Tokyo the previous December, Hiromi notified the local Yakuza of her visit. It helped avoid a misunderstanding from happening.

In the case of the Osaka trip, Hiromi asked the Yamaguchi-gumi’s permission to talk to Tomatsu. Hiromi’s request was granted.

“Very well, Sato-san. What brings you here today?”

Hiromi by this time was almost choking on the cigarette smoke in the Mayflower. It was so thick, Hiromi found it difficult to breathe.

Used to being in charge of people, Hiromi gave Tomatsu an order. “Put your cigarette out. The smoke is making me ill.”

Tomatsu removed the cigarette from his lips. As he prepared to put it in a ash tray, Tomatsu blew a cloud of smoke into Hiromi’s face. “Is that better?”

Hiromi was furious but controlled her anger. Shortly after Tomatsu’s cigarette was extinguished, Hiromi began talking about the business matter she had come to discuss that day.

Tomatsu listened quietly, his face remaining impassive throughout. “You are looking for a specialist.”

“Yes, a specialist. I been told that you may know of one who may be suited for the job I outlined.”

“Perhaps. What would be in it for me, Sato-san?”

“A generous finder’s fee,” Hiromi said. “One you would not find disappointing.”

Tomatsu smiled for the first time since Hiromi took her seat. “We have a business arrangement then.” Hiromi and Tomatsu went on to talk further about what the business arrangement entailed.

Forty-five minutes later, Hiromi was back at the building Kanagawa Bank had its offices in. Getting back to her office without Roger Hyde noticing could prove trickier than Hiromi’s earlier exit.

Taking an elevator upstairs, Hiromi got off at the 12th floor. Two floors below Kanagawa Bank. As she made her way to the stair well, Hiromi made a brief cell phone call.

“Yes.”

“I am back. Do as I told you earlier. In exactly two minutes.” Hiromi then ended the call.

Roger was still standing watch outside his Taro’s office door. The British bodyguard not sensing anything unusual going on, like his boss remaining in her office for such a long period of time. Hiromi often did the same at her Yokohama offices.

“Can you assist me for one minute?” A young, female, and very attractive office worker asked as she approached Roger. “A form slipped between my desk and the wall. I can’t reach it.”

Roger hesitated for a moment. He was about to knock on Hiromi’s door and check if she needed anything.

“It will only take a minute, please? My desk is just over there.” The office worker pointed out to Roger.

“All right.” Roger then walked away from Hiromi Sato’s office door.

Either Hiromi’s timing was off, or the office worker’s was. For Hiromi only barely got into the office before Roger began heading back towards it.

Hiromi was barely settled in, when Roger knocked at the door. The sound almost causing Hiromi to jump out of her chair. “Come in.”

“Boss, is there anything I can do for you?”

“No. I’m quite fine, thank you.”
 

~*~

 
On the same Friday Gabrielle Tanaka began seeing to the setup of Operation Hornblower, the Swan Song committee got an urgent report from forensic accountant Debra Dudley. The computer downloads from Hiromi Sato’s computer had suddenly come to an end.

Despite this latest dose of bad news out of Japan, Grant Williamson didn’t call a Swan Song meeting into session to discuss it. Gabrielle was traveling, in addition Dr. Wagner and Major Hollins were both taking extended weekends away from their work. In any event, a meeting could only discuss the reasons why the downloads stopped, not make them suddenly begin again.

When he was through reading Debra Dudley’s report, Grant Williamson let out a string of expletives. A successful Swan Song was supposed to supply the proof that Grant wasn’t just another Hoover building bureaucrat. That the FBI Deputy Director could bring to justice criminals as well as anyone at the bureau.

Without Swan Song’s successful completion, Grant Williamson’s hoped-for career track might be in jeopardy. There were other factors at play which affected whether Grant would become the next director of the FBI. Some he could control, some he couldn’t. The increasing lack of control Grant had over Operation Swan Song was causing the Deputy FBI Director’s frustration to turn into anger instead, most of it directed at Captain Tom Slater, but also towards other Swan Song committee members.

With no other way to vent his anger, Grant flung a printed copy of Debra Dudley’s report at the empty chair across from his desk. Once his temper had cooled off, Grant went to retrieve the report.

At almost the exact same moment Grant picked up the report, his secretary Miranda DeLaCruz came into the office. “Sir, I just received this news article from Inspector Yoshida in Japan. He says it is Swan Song related.”

“Thank you, Miranda,” Grant said to his secretary, who then left the office. Not wasting any time, Grant began reading the article given to him. Its headline said:

Bankruptcy fears rise as Central Nippon Wireless restates its earnings.
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle Tanaka was oblivious to the fate of Central Nippon Wireless or how it could affect the Watanabe Yakuza as she parked a rental car outside Cascade Valley Hospital in Arlington Washington. The sky was overcast and a light rain was beginning to fall. All the makings for a dreary Mother’s Day. A Mother’s Day that was about to get drearier for one family.

Stuart Slater looked genuinely surprised to see Gabrielle pay him a visit. “Hello, Miss Tanaka, how are you?”

“I’m fine, Dad. How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” Stuart Slater said. “My wife went downstairs to the cafeteria. She should be back shortly.”

While they waited for Midori Slater’s return, Stuart and Gabrielle talked. Five days previously Stuart had been admitted to Cascade Valley Hospital because of shortness of breath. Gabrielle had learned of this via an email sent to her by Midori.

“I should be going home tomorrow.”

“That’s good, Dad.” Gabrielle said, just moments before Midori returned to her husband’s hospital room.

After exchanging a hug and a kiss with Midori, Gabrielle said. “Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.”

“Thank you Gabrielle. It is good seeing you again. Have you spoken to your mother today?”

“No, not yet. How is Shannon doing?”

As Midori told Gabrielle about her youngest grandchild, a female nurse walked into Stuart’s room. Conversation lapsed for a brief time as Tom Slater’s father had his vitals taken.

After the nurse was gone, Stuart turned on the television set in his room. “Maybe there is a good movie on this afternoon.” Taking this as a hint, Midori and Gabrielle moved the conversation they were having to a nearby visitor’s waiting room.

“I’m glad Shannon is doing well. How is Dad?” Gabrielle asked after she and Midori Slater were seated in the otherwise empty waiting room

“The doctors say Stuart will need heart valve surgery,” Midori began explaining to Gabrielle about the recent medical tests Stuart Slater had been subjected to since being hospitalized. Other than his aorta, his heart appeared to be in good condition. A cardiac catherization showed no blockages in the retired Army Master Sergeant’s heart. “His doctor here recommends a surgeon in Oregon.”

“That’s good. At least you’ll have Donna nearby to help you and Dad out.”

“Yes, we will. Gabrielle, what has happened to Tom?”

Gabrielle looked Midori Slater in the eye before explaining the events of the last two months. What Gabrielle was about to say would cause incredible pain for Tom Slater’s mother, but it couldn’t be avoided. Gabrielle felt that she needed to tell Midori the truth.

“He has not talked to you in two months?”

“No, Mom, nor has Tom contacted the committee.”

“He’s alive?”

“Yes, Mom,” Gabrielle paused as Midori Slater tightened the grip she had on the FBI agent’s left hand. “but something has gone badly wrong. I just don’t know what.”

“Gabrielle, please tell me what has happened.”

The operational details of Operation Swan Song were supposed to be highly confidential, but Gabrielle shared them with Tom’s mother over the next fifteen minutes. It took that long to relate everything Gabrielle knew about Tom Slater’s life since the last time his mother had seen him.

“In March, Tom had a rendezvous scheduled with me in Singapore. He didn’t show up and I have no idea why.”

“Tom is alive now?”

“Yes, Mom. Tom was seen as recently as last week. The Swan Song committee has someone check on Tom’s whereabouts periodically.”

As hard as Midori tried to keep her emotions in check, tears began forming in the mother’s eyes. Like any good mother, Midori worried for the safety of her children. “He is still Hiromi Sato?”

Gabrielle then opened up her purse and took some photos out in order to give them to Tom Slater’s mother. Midori spent a few minutes examining the photos, while at the same time Gabrielle had to wonder how the mother felt in regards to her son being turned into a woman not just physically but mentally.

“Yes, Mom, that hasn’t changed. Tom is still inside that woman’s body,” Gabrielle said. Before coming to Washington, Gabrielle had sworn to herself she wouldn’t withhold any information from the Slaters and so far she had kept that vow. Midori deserved to know what was happening to her son right then. “What I think has happened is that the real Hiromi Sato has taken over.”

Midori looked again at the photos she had been given. “Gabrielle, I’m confused.”

“Let me explain, Mom.” Gabrielle told her about what Tom had told her in Hong Kong. About the two personas in the body Tom Slater now possessed.

When Gabrielle was finished, Midori nodded her head. “I think I understand.”

“Mom, I’m not sure that is what happened. It is just a theory.” Gabrielle then added, “But Dr. Wagner, the scientist who invented the DNA serum given to Tom, thinks so too.”

“Why did it happen?”

Gabrielle shrugged slightly. “Some kind of trauma must have happened to Tom. Either physical or mental. That’s what I think happened, and Dr. Wagner agrees with me.”

“Can what happened to Tom be reversed?”

Gabrielle gave Midori an honest answer. “Dr. Wagner thinks so, but she isn’t one hundred percent certain.”

Nothing was said for another minute or so. There was so much information for Midori Slater to absorb. Had she lost another child? The tears Midori had fought so hard to control, now slowly made their way down the mother’s face.

“Mom, I’m not going to stop trying to save Tom. I love him, and feel what has happened was my fault.”

“Why do you say that?”

Gabrielle again held nothing back even if what she said could be considered embarrassing or a little graphic when talking to any man’s mother. “Mom, when Tom and I met in Hong Kong, he asked me if I would go to a hotel with him so he could make love to me. I said no.”

Now it was Gabrielle’s turn to show her emotions. She was fighting hard to choke back her tears. As she did this, Midori reached out empathetically in order to hold the FBI agent’s right hand. The visitor’s waiting room was still empty except for Gabrielle and Midori.

“Tom was crying out to me for help, and I told her I needed to work on some damn report! What an idiot I was then, and now look what happened.”

“Gabrielle, it is not your fault.”

“Mom, it’s even worse. The other undercover agent working with Tom is missing and presumed dead. She was in Hong Kong too when I met Tom. I could have told them both to abort the mission then, but I didn’t.”

“What you did, Gabrielle, you thought was right. I know you love my son.”

“I love Tom very much.”

For the first time since entering the waiting room, a smile broke out on Midori Slater’s face. “Gabrielle, don’t blame yourself for what has happened. Tom is still alive, and you can help her.”

“Yes, Tom is alive, but he’s changed in other ways I haven’t told you yet.”

“Like what?”

Gabrielle told Midori about her observations about Tom Slater that the FBI agent had made at their rendezvous in Hong Kong. “Mom, Tom has changed mentally. He isn’t just physically a woman now, but acting like one too.”

Gabrielle went on to explain why she was saying this.

Midori looked a little shocked at first by what Gabrielle had to say. “Can this be changed too?”

“Honestly, Mom, Dr. Wagner doesn’t think so. Because of the way Tom has had to live these last these months, the changes to him are likely to be permanent.”

“Does Tom still remember me and his father?”

Gabrielle nodded her head emphatically in reply to this question. “Yes, Mom, he does. That part of Tom hasn’t changed. When in Hong Kong, Tom and I talked about you, Dad, and Susan. I could tell how much he still loved all of you.”

“That’s good, Gabrielle.”

“No matter what has happened to Tom and whether it can be reversed or not, after she is saved, I will love him or her. I really mean that Mom. ”

“Gabrielle, I believe you. We will both always love Tom.”

Then the two women shared a hug.

Midori and Gabrielle talked some ten to fifteen minutes more before returning to Stuart Slater’s hospital room. The time was mostly used by Gabrielle to explain about why she was in Washington right then, the upcoming Operation Hornblower and the FBI agent’s sincere hope to bring Tom Slater safely home.

As she rose from her chair, Midori thought of a question for Gabrielle. “Can I keep these photos?”

“Of course, Mom.”

“I can hardly believe that is my son.”

“Mom, I can hardly believe that’s Tom either.” Gabrielle replied. The photo Midori was looking at had been taken in Hong Kong.

“If Tom had been born a girl, I would have named her Rebecca.”

Gabrielle smiled. “That’s a pretty name.”

Pointing at the photo Gabrielle gave her, Midori said. “Science changed Tom, but she will always be my child.”

Even though she had never experienced motherhood herself, Gabrielle fathomed the special bond a mother has for her children, one the wonders of science could never destroy. “No matter what the outcome is, Mom, I will still love her.”

“Gabrielle, if that happens, I would like you and Rebecca to be together and raise Shannon.”

‘What an incredible mother Tom has.’ Gabrielle thought to herself. ‘Why isn’t my mother like this, or do we just not take the time to understand one another?’

“Mom, I think there is a good chance Tom can be saved. Between you, me, and Dad, we’ll be able to remind Tom who he really is,” Gabrielle said to Tom Slater’s mother. Midori saying she felt the same way too. “Dr. Wagner’s DNA therapy is nearly perfect now. She can almost guarantee us getting Tom back to his old body.”

“Thank you, Gabrielle, for coming to see me today,” Midori said as she noted the time. “I’d better go check on Stuart.”

“Mom, I will be in touch again real soon.” Gabrielle told her as they exited the waiting room together.

“I trust you, Gabrielle.”

“How’s Dad doing mentally, so far as his upcoming surgery goes?”

“Stuart doesn’t tell me, but I think he is a little scared.”

“I’ll be praying for him and Tom.”

“Thank you.”

“Where’s Shannon?”

“He’s back in Darrington. A very nice couple, the Marshalls, are taking care of Shannon.”

Gabrielle and Midori were back in Stuart Slater’s hospital room a moment later. Stuart was busy watching a Seattle Mariner baseball game.

“Bye, Dad,” Gabrielle said after giving Stuart Slater a hug. “Get well soon.”

“Thank you, Miss Tanaka.”

Gabrielle began saying goodbye to Midori, who took a moment to remind Gabrielle to call her parents.

“I will, Mom. After I get to Seattle.” It was just after 3 p.m. and the drive back to Seattle would take just over an hour. By Gabrielle’s calculations, she could call her mother by around 5 p.m. The only uncertainty was where the Tanakas would be that weekend. Were they home, or visiting one of their daughters?

Gabrielle was halfway out the door, when Stuart Slater called out one last thing, “Gabrielle, please do everything you can to bring my son Tom back home to us. If you need help, don’t be afraid to call or ask us.”

“I won’t, Dad. That’s a promise.”
 

~*~

 
As was her usual custom, Hiromi Sato had her television set on in her office. What was unusual on May 13th was that Hiromi was more interested in Asia news than was normal for her.

The reason? At a little after 2 p.m. in the afternoon on May 12th, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake had taken place in the Sichuan province of China. The damage and death tolls were still early but considering the region’s population, Hiromi was expecting them to be immense.

Hiromi had an interest in knowing just how immense because of her recent purchase and ownership of The East China Commerce Bank. A call to her Hong Kong branch manager the day before had people in the Hong Kong office already busy calculating just how exposed East China was in the wake of the quake. The bank had loans out on property spread through out the Middle Kingdom.

Not long after getting settled in behind her desk, and after getting her morning newspapers, tea, and messages from Suki and Aki, Hiromi began seeking out more news of what was going on in China. The business news channels she usually watched were proving to be of little help to her.

Hiromi was trying to change the station on her office television to a China based news station, when she accidentally hit the wrong number on the television remote control. Instead of getting a news broadcast, Hiromi found herself viewing an American reality show. One that featured dancing.

At first Hiromi wanted to find the Chinese news station. However the dance show for some reason looked interesting. Hiromi quickly decided to leave her television set as it was. She’d get news about the earthquake soon enough.

What the Hiromi Sato persona didn’t know, was the television known as ‘Dancing with the Stars’ was re-awakening Tom Slater. On the television right then was Mark Ballas and his dancing partner, former Olympic Gold Figure Skater Kristi Yamaguchi.

Kristi Yamaguchi was a cousin of Gabrielle Tanaka. Indeed, Tom Slater had commented on the similar appearance of the FBI agent to the figure skater when he and Gabrielle were having dinner together the previous May.

Seeing Kristi on the television screen, began to stir Tom Slater back to life. He pictured himself as the male dancer, thinking of Kristi as Gabrielle Tanaka. If allowed to watch the television show and Kristi long enough, maybe Tom Slater would once again regain control of the body he resided in.

Then the phone began to ring and this diverted Hiromi’s attention from the television set. The caller was the wedding planner, Shiho Iijima. After arriving home from Europe, one of the first things Hiromi did was call Shiho and tell her to change the style of the wedding from Japanese to Western.

As can be imagined, Shiho had been shocked by Hiromi’s about face in regards to her upcoming wedding. Ever since being told the changes required, Shiho Iijima had been growing increasingly indecisive, and therefore needed to call Hiromi Sato multiple times in any given day about some small detail or another.

Hiromi was growing increasingly annoyed by these calls. The latest call from Shiho seemed trivial to Hiromi, but needed attending to. As Kristi and Mark Ballas finished their dance number, Hiromi turned off the television set in her office.

As she did, Hiromi stopped any chance of Tom Slater had of regaining control of the body she shared with the psychopathic Yakuza accountant. The more forceful Hiromi Sato personality had won once again.
 

~*~

 
‘What ever made you take up the line of work you do?’ Frank Snyder frequently asked himself. At present he was in a two-man submarine along with his colleague Alicia Raagas. The two marine geologists, based out of the University of Hawaii, were surveying the ocean floor from the cozy but safe quarters of The Hina. Hina being the name of a Polynesian Goddess.

Less than a half hour earlierr, the Hina and the two geologists in it, were lowered into the waters off Izu Oshima, one of the smaller islands that make up Japan. Alicia and Frank were there that day to survey the ocean floor near Izu Oshima. This to determine if the island’s volcano, Mt. Mihara, was preparing to erupt. That could account for the recent tremblors felt in the Tokyo area. Mt. Mihara’s last eruption was in 1986.

Movies and television aside, predicting a volcanic eruption was hardly a perfect science. Mistakes had been made in the past. In this particular branch of science, an incorrect prediction could have deadly consequences for the people living near these volatile peaks.

The descent of The Hina to the ocean floor was a fairly quick process, but one requiring much precision. Frank, laying flat on his stomach, navigated the small two-man sub, while Alicia squatted or stood in the back of the craft as she checked the many scientific instruments used by the two marine geologists.

The Hina was at a depth of approximately one hundred feet, when Frank heard a sharp bang behind him. “What was that?”

“Nothing Frank. I just dropped something.”

For some unknown reason Frank was feeling unusually claustrophobic that day. It wasn’t like Frank hadn’t spent time submerged in a cramped submarine before. The marine geologist had spent thousands and thousands of hours working ‘The Hina’ and other subs like her.

Frank was just having a bad day, by his own admission, maybe because he had woken up that morning with a splitting headache. Alicia had dropped equipment before, as had Frank. In addition the two marine geologists often unintentionally kicked or stepped on each other. In the tight confines of a mini-sub it was impossible to do otherwise.

Alicia and Frank had a excellent working relationship, and got along well together, though they rarely associated with each other on anything but a professional basis. For one thing, Frank Snyder was almost twenty years older than Alicia, a twice-divorced, dumpy looking, middle-aged man was no match for Alicia, a former Miss Hilo beauty pageant winner who was still stunningly beautiful in her early thirties. Frank Snyder and Alicia Raagas were a definite odd couple in marine geology or any other field of science.

Non-natives of Hawaii who knew Frank, would sometimes kid him about the fact he worked with such a beautiful woman, and that he should take advantage of it. None of these people knew that Frank and Alicia shared a similar taste. They were both attracted to women.

Alicia Raagas was a very out lesbian. It was while Alicia was being interviewed for a Hawaii Tribune-Herald article two years previous, that the marine geologist admitted her sexual preference for the fairer sex. Alicia and her partner Sarah Oyama, the owner of a downtown Honolulu beauty salon, had been co-habitating together for almost five years.

So working with this particular beautiful woman wasn’t a distraction to Frank. The marine geologist could concentrate on his work. Right then it consisted of getting ‘The Hina’ to the ocean floor just off shore of Izu Oshima.

The Hina had been submerged a little over two hours, and was at a depth of 286 feet, when something drew Frank Snyder’s attention. “That’s interesting,” he said. It was a chain-wrapped black trunk with holes bored into the sides.

The discovery of Reina Shimizu’s body was strictly a fluke. Nobody in the Watanabe Yakuza could have foreseen the forces of nature that would keep the trunk containing Agent Chrysanthemum from remaining at the bottom of sea for all eternity.

If there was a moral to be learned, it was never attempt permanent disposal of incriminating evidence in an area prone to earthquake and volcanic activity. Both of these factors kept Agent Chrysanthemum’s remains from permanently settling on the ocean floor. If her body had been dumped as little as 1,000 meters farther off the shore of Izu Oshima, the makeshift coffin would have fallen into a deep sea trench and likely never seen again.

“What’s interesting?” Alicia asked. She was in the middle of taking some readings.

“This box, it’s five feet off our stern.”

Alicia didn’t share Frank Snyder’s interest in sea garbage as the marine geologist called the tons of human junk deposited on ocean floors around the world. That people found littering at sea acceptable compared to on dry land, was just disgusting to Alicia. “What about it?”

“Come take a look for yourself.”

Alicia sighed. Scientists were supposed to be curious by nature, but Alicia thought Frank took it to extremes at times. They both had work to do, at the same time Alicia knew she would only satisfy Frank by taking a peek. So she got down on her belly and joined Frank in looking out The Hina’s bow window.

“See it?”

“Yes, Frank.” Alicia replied. ‘So there’s a box at the bottom of the ocean. What’s the big deal?’

“Bet anyone one hundred dollars, something is inside it,” Frank told Alicia. “Look at the way it’s secured. As if someone was trying to bury something so it won’t ever be found again.”

“That’s nice, Frank, but what are you trying to say?” The differences between her and Frank’s backgrounds, kept Alicia from appreciating her partner’s discovery. Alicia Raagas, the daughter of a fisherman, just couldn’t understand Frank’s train of thought right then.

Frank Snyder was the son of a San Diego police detective. One of the reasons Frank Snyder went into marine geology, was to do something entirely different than his father’s line of work. While growing up, Frank often overheard grisly stories of the murder cases his father worked on.

Nevertheless some of Frank Snyder Sr’s experiences stuck with his son. Like the many ways murderers use to hide their dastardly deeds.

“I bet there is a body inside that box.”

“Whatever, Frank, I’d better get back to work.” Alicia said before she began maneuvering her body in order to get herself off the belly of the submarine.

Frank, said nothing to Alicia as she crawled back towards the center of The Hina. Before moving on to the work he and Alicia were there to do, Frank took out a chart and began making some calculations. When this was done, Frank snapped some quick photos of the box using a camera in The Hina’s bow.

Later that day, Frank would notify the Japanese Coast Guard of his discovery. Frank hoped that they would be more curious about the box he had found that day than Alicia Raagas was.
 

~*~

 
Oscar Antonio Tonaguchi had been born in Brazil, but was still tied to Japan by ancestry and culture. Right now he was excited about what the FBI had asked him to do. Gabrielle Tanaka was briefing him about the details of the mission to begin the next Saturday, but the phrase ‘The name is Bond, James Bond,’ suddenly ran through his mind and he almost shivered with glee as his mind kept imagining spy movies with himself in the leading role. He said it aloud, just to hear it.

If Oscar didn’t appreciate the seriousness of Operation Hornblower, Gabrielle Tanaka did. She wasn’t at a Seattle area safe house for fun and games, but to get this banker ready to assist Gabrielle in her efforts to save Tom Slater.

“Oscar, can we please be serious for a change?” Gabrielle asked.

“Of course. This whole thing is just so exciting to me, Gabby.”

That was another reason Oscar was getting on Gabrielle’s nerves. In spite of several requests to call her Gabrielle, the banker insisted on calling the FBI agent Gabby. If Gabrielle only had her Glock handy, the threat of shooting his balls off may have caused Oscar to adjust his attitude accordingly.

“That’s fine, Oscar, and I’m glad you like helping the bureau. Just don’t forget that this mission might be dangerous.” Gabrielle told the banker. Honestly, the risks that accompanied Operation Hornblower were very slight. If they weren’t, the FBI agent wouldn’t be working with this amateur.

“Don’t worry, Gabby, I will take this very seriously once we set foot in Japan.”

Gabrielle flashed Oscar a smile. “The bureau and I appreciate that. Now let me ask you some questions.....”

The fears Gabrielle had about Oscar not taking Operation Hornblower seriously, quickly began to fade, since Oscar could answer almost every question Gabrielle fired at him about their cover story. Oscar sounded as if he’d thoroughly read and memorized the five page briefing he had been given just days earlier.

Operation Hornblower was pretty simple, as was Oscar’s part in it. When working with amateurs, the FBI tried to keep a person as close to their real life as possible. Oscar would just be playing himself once he and Gabrielle went to Japan together. The only change for Oscar was Gabrielle playing the part of his girlfriend. Gabrielle would be traveling with a passport using her very own name.

Using this simple cover story, Gabrielle and Oscar would attend Michiko Yamamoto’s charity gala taking place in Tokyo eight days from now. Every year Michiko Yamamoto, the wife of one of Japan’s leading bankers, held a fundraiser for some of her favorite Japanese charities. The invitation list to the event included all of the most prominent people in Japan’s banking and financial services. Since 2004, Hiromi Sato had been among those invited.

Oscar Toniguchi was on the guest list as well. Oscar, who was thirty-one years of age, was heir to the Brazil-Japan bank of the Americas founded by his grandfather over a half century earlier. The bank was currently run by Oscar’s father, Roberto. Brazil-Japan’s main office was in Brasilia, but the bank also had branches scattered over South, Central, and North America, plus Japan.

One office was in Seattle Washington and Oscar was paying it a visit before leaving for Japan. This proved to be very convenient for Gabrielle, allowing her to pay a long overdue visit to the Slaters, while at the same time conducting bureau business.

As Brazil-Japan was a significant mover and shaker in the Japanese financial community, a member of the Tonaguchi family was invited to Michiko Yamamoto’s event. Oscar had been the family representative every year since he first attended in 2006.

A person invited to the gala was allowed to bring their spouse or another suitable companion. That’s where Gabrielle came in. Oscar Toniguchi was very single and when asked, jumped at the opportunity of being some small assistance to the FBI. Rumor was, Oscar jumped again on first seeing a picture of the FBI agent who would pose as his girlfriend.

For Gabrielle, playing the part of Oscar’s girlfriend would let her make contact with Tom Slater. Operation Hornblower was considered low risk, since there was no way that Hiromi Sato or the Watanabe Yakuza could know beforehand that Gabrielle was coming to the event, or that a FBI agent would be posing as the girlfriend of a banker.

While Oscar answered Gabrielle’s questions, something about the banker was bothering the FBI agent. It wasn’t till the session was nearly done, that Gabrielle zeroed in on a peculiarity about the banker.

“How did I do?”

“Very good, Oscar,” Gabrielle said as she looked down at some notes she had in front of her. Oscar Taniguchi was a pretty good looking man but he had little effect on Gabrielle because her heart had been firmly taken by Captain Tom Slater. “We should make a good team.”

“I think so too, Gabby,” Oscar said, at the same time making a very decided grin with his facial muscles, “Oh, by the way, where did you buy that dress you’re wearing today, JC Penney’s?”

Gabrielle instantly had a duh moment. Why hadn’t she seen this up to now? Gabrielle’s dormant gaydar came to life at once and conclusively told her that Oscar Toniguchi had to be gay. No wonder a man his age, with the looks he had, plus loads of money, was still single. It was well established, at least in Gabrielle’s mind, that only homosexual men pay attention to women’s clothes.

Would this affect Operation Hornblower? Gabrielle thought it shouldn’t, but it still made her a little more nervous about the days ahead. “No, I bought it at Petite Sophisticate.”

“Didn’t that chain file for bankruptcy a while back?”

‘Yes, Oscar is definitely gay. Why else would he care so much about women’s clothes or where they are bought?’ Gabrielle mused to herself. “Yes. I bought this outfit at a going out of business sale.”

“I hope you have better clothes for our upcoming trip together. Remember you’re supposed to be my girlfriend.”

“Don’t worry Oscar, I do.” Gabrielle replied back. Some of the designer clothing Gabrielle used the previous summer when posing as Tiffany Brown, would be put to use again for Operation Hornblower.

“I believe you, Gabby.”

Again Gabrielle Tanaka had to lean on that self control she had inside her. Gabrielle just knew she would need lots of it in the days ahead.
 

~*~

 
Ai Toguchi wished her husband Keiji a pleasant day, then shut the door to the Negishi Bay apartment tower suite they shared. Should Keiji get hit by a car, struck by lightning, or gunned down by a rival Yakuza that day, Ai would only shed tears of the alligator variety.

Ai didn’t love her husband. She hated the man to his very core. Hate is a strong word, but that was how Ai felt towards her husband. She had endured one too many beatings and sexual violations till finally Ai snapped and couldn’t take no more.

Then why did Ai marry Keiji? For stability and wealth, because she didn't want to be a servant anymore, because she thought the Oyabun had genuinely changed as a person, to get back at Keiji one day, or all of the above? Looking back, Ai knew she had been dumb to ever become the man’s wife. Now she had no other choice but to submit, or fight back.

Ai had chosen to fight back. The first step had been taken by Ai when she made contact with her police controllers. Today Ai would see if they had replied back.

Before that could happen, Ai had to get herself ready and fed for the day. She was about half way through breakfast, when Ana Ramirez came into Keiji Watanabe’s apartment.

“Good morning, Ma’am,” said the twenty-five year old head bodyguard for Ai Toguchi. Ana had grown up in Los Angeles California and once been a cadet at the US military academy. That was until Ana was expelled for cheating. “Whenever you are ready to go back.”

“Shortly, Ana,” Ai replied back. Her bodyguard always reminded Keiji Watanabe’s wife of some street hoodlum.

Before leaving the apartment, Ai made sure her pet daschund named Cherry had enough water and food. Once that was accomplished and after saying goodbye to her beloved pet, Ai left the apartment.

Ai had to see to her personal health before doing anything else that day. She had an ingrown toenail on a left foot that was always in need of care. Today Ai had an appointment with Dr. Shinichi Katayama, a podiatrist.

The appointment was at 10:30 that morning. Ai and Ana arrived at the podiatrist office about five minutes early. Dr. Katayama was still seeing a patient, so Ai was told to take a seat in the waiting room.

Ai really needed to see Dr. Katayama that day, despite her seeing the podiatrist only four weeks previously. The ingrown toenail had grown excruciatingly painful once again. After signing in, Ai went over to where Ana Ramirez was seated.

“If you will excuse me,” Ai said motioning with her head towards a patient bathroom.

Ana nodded her head. “No problem Ma’am. I’ll be waiting here when you’re finished.”

Once inside the bathroom, Ai immediately locked the door. She wasn’t there to relieve herself via the squat toilet, but to check for a message from the Yokohama police. On the wall next to the light switch was a towel dispenser. This was the object used for a drop by the Yokohama police.

It took only a few seconds for Ai to pry the towel dispenser open. Taped to the inside of its front cover was a small envelope. Ai took the envelope and ripped it open. The message for Agent Concierge was on tissue like paper. After reading the Operation Swan Song message multiple times and consigning it to memory, Ai disposed of the tissue paper in the bathroom toilet.

Dr. Katayama saw his patient some ten minutes after Ai left the rest room. The appointment didn’t last long, for the podiatrist was only tending to the one toe. After Dr Katayama was finished, Ai was left alone in the examing room to get dressed again.

Once the door was shut, Ai frantically took a pen and notepad out of her purse. Ai began to feel nervous for the first time that day. If Keiji Watanabe ever discovered what she was doing, Ai was a dead woman.

The return message for the Swan Song committee was brief. Ai then took something else out of her purse, by all appearances a used sanitary napkin. Ai put the note she wrote tightly inside the napkin and then back in her purse. She then put her shoes back on and exited the examination room.

The second bathroom Ai visited at Dr. Katayama’s office was meant to be used only by the physician and his nurse/receptionist. No one paid any particular attention as Ai entered this room.

Once inside and with the door closed behind her, Ai took the sanitary napkin out of her purse again, wrapped it in toilet paper, and disposed of it in a basket next to the toilet. Ai then exited the room.

The moment Ai stepped out into the Dr. Katayama’s waiting room, her bodyguard sprung to her feet. “Feeling better, Ma’am?”

“Yes, much better,” Ai answered back. She was pleased with what she had done that day. She hoped it would result in the eventual destruction, if not death, of her not so beloved husband.
 

~*~

 
Within minutes of the last Swan Song meeting breaking up, Major Ed Hollins appointed US Army 1st Lieutenant DW Connors to be the committee’s liaison person between the committee and Japanese officials as permission was sought for Operation Firecracker. Connors, who was stationed at Camp Zama, had completed Swan Song tasks in the past.

It was Connors, along with Inspector Yoshida, who submitted Operation Firecracker plans to Japanese law enforcement and Ministry of Interior officials for review. There were two alternative plans for Firecracker, both designed by Major Hollins for the snatching of Agent Ripley. The Swan Song committee was hoping for a quick response.

Major Hollins got a preliminary answer three days after Firecracker was submitted. The reply the Major got back from the Ministry of Interior was hardly pleasing.

“Sir, Operation Firecracker hasn’t been approved yet,” Major Hollins informed Grant Williamson by secure telephone link.

“Major, we couldn’t expect the Japanese to say yes overnight.”

“Sir, I understand, but we aren’t even being allowed to start training,” Major Hollins whined to the Deputy FBI Director. “The message I received told me to hold off on that till further notice.”

Grant Williamson listened to some more of Major Hollins’ complaints. The Japanese had deemed Operation Firecracker’s training phase to be potentially risky to civilians. While Grant thought training could be done safely, he did understand where the Interior Ministry was coming from. “Major we have no other choice but to be patient.”

“Sir, can I make a request?”

“Certainly.”

“I’d like to move Firecracker’s training phase to the mainland US.”

Grant wasn’t surprised by Major Hollins request, having himself thought of it already, so his reply was quick in coming. “Unfortunately, Major, Swan Song doesn’t have sufficient funds budgeted to honor your request.”

Major Hollins could barely prevent himself from cursing. Maybe it was time to terminate Operation Swan Song, and let Agent Ripley meet with whatever her fate may be.

“There is one other possibility, sir,” Major Hollins mentioned. Grant asked the Army Officer to further elaborate. “The owners are willing to allow us to use their property. That’s if the Committee will make certain guarantees. Can I look into this further?”

“Yes, Major. Get back to me as soon as possible.”
 

~*~

 
Only an unexpected accident allowed Frank Snyder to be present when Reina Shimizu’s body was brought to the surface. Two days earlier Frank’s partner Alicia Raagas had gotten an urgent phone call from Hawaii. Her significant other, Sarah Oyama, had been struck by a hit and run driver as she crossed a Honolulu street. Hearing this news, Alicia booked herself on the first flight back to Hawaii.

That left Frank without his marine geologic partner, and therefore temporarily unable to do the work he had come to Japan for. Two people were required to operate ‘The Hina’ and do the underwater experiments asked of it.

A graduate student from the University of Hawaii would soon be leaving for Japan in order to help Frank out. In the meantime Frank hitched a ride out on the salvage ship sent to recover the mysterious box off the ocean floor near Izu Oshima island.

Frank had notified Japanese authorities the same day he discovered the box. The Japanese Coast Guard was informed about mysterious sea garbage all the time by divers. The discoverers were usually thanked for the information they provided, but then no further action was taken.

In the case of Frank Snyder, the Coast Guard decided to take action. While just a Marine geologist, the scientist showed himself to be professional and well informed. Japanese authorities decided to further investigate, but a weekend passed before the first steps were taken.

The Sensei Maru, owned by Tokyo Marine and Salvage, sailed from Yokohama harbor the morning of May 20th. On board were over thirty highly trained personnel who had experience with recovering material from the ocean floor. Also on board were Frank Snyder and a Lt. Akira Watanabe(No relation to the Yakuza of the same name) representing the Japanese Coast Guard.

Once they were at the coordinates given to them by Frank Snyder, a two-man submersible was launched. Within the hour a message came back, the box wasn’t where Frank had said it was.

“It must have moved,” Frank told Lt. Watanabe and the Senshei Maru’s Captain. “I’m not making this thing up.”

“We will continue the search,” The ship’s Captain said in reply. “The currents are strong in this area. We had to expect the box to be in a different location.”

The renewed search didn’t take long. Reina Shimizu’s makeshift coffin was found less than 50 feet from its previous location. In waters some 260 feet deep. A few quick tests told the submersible’s operators that they would need the assistance of divers. As nightfall was fast approaching, the recovery was put off till the following day.

Recovery work began as soon as the next day’s sun showed itself on the horizon. The submersible and four deep sea divers going into the ocean. They were soon at the box, and began the work of bringing it to the surface.

Reina Shimizu’s coffin saw the light of day around 11:30 in the morning. As it was pulled from the ocean, water immediately began seeping out of the box. Lt. Watanabe and Frank Snyder watching as a winch prepared to put the box on the Senshei Maru’s aft deck.

Lt. Watanabe handed Frank a facial mask. There was something else seeping out from Reina Shimizu’s coffin. “We will need these.”

Once it was placed on the deck, the box was given little more than a cursory examination. No attempt was made at either breaking the chains that bound it, or opening the box in any means. As soon as the Senshei recovered both the submersible and their divers, the salvage ship set course for the Port of Yokohama.

While the Senshei Maru was on its way back to port, Frank got a call on his cell phone. It was from Alicia Raagas. She calling Frank to thank him for the flowers he sent Sarah, and to give the marine geologist an update on her significant other’s condition. Sarah Oyama had just a couple of broken bones and would be discharged soon from the hospital. Frank was glad to hear that.

Waiting for the Senshei Maru as it docked at Yokohama’s Pier 6J, were a flatbed truck plus a car driven by a Coast Guard Petty Officer. As soon as the Senshei Maru was docked, a winch moved the makeshift coffin containing Reina Shimizu from the salvage ship to the flatbed truck. Once this was done, and with Frank and Lt. Watanabe in the following car, the box was driven to a nearby warehouse.

At the warehouse, two members of the Yokohama police, a representative from the Kanagawa coroner’s office, and three coast guard personnel were waiting. The box was offloaded from the truck to the warehouse floor. That’s where the tedious process of opening Reina Shimizu’s coffin was done.

The process of breaking the rusted chains and locks proved to be the most time consuming part of the process. When these were removed, the chest began to crumble after receiving the slightest touch from one of the warehouse workers assigned to opening it.

Finally the box was open to the point where its contents could be seen by all. Of those present, only the coroner, Lt. Watanabe and Frank Snyder didn’t avert their eyes away from the rotting corpse of Reina Shimizu.

“I was right,” Frank Snyder said to Lt. Watanabe as the coroner quietly examined the human remains found that day. “Someone went to a great deal of trouble to dispose of that poor sucker. Care to make any wild guesses who?”

“No,” Was Lt. Watanabe’s one word reply. The Coast Guard Officer wasn’t in the habit of making wild guesses. An hour later Reina Shimizu’s remains were on the way to the coroner’s office for Kanagawa prefecture.
 

~*~

 
“Gabrielle, why don’t you go powder your nose?” Oscar said to Gabrielle the night of the Yamamoto charity event. So far Oscar Tonaguchi was playing his Operation Hornblower part to perfection. Gabrielle was grateful for that, since she needed no additional stress. She’d had plenty of that already.

“I’ll do that.” Gabrielle replied, as she left Oscar’s side. The exchange between her and Oscar was the signal for Gabrielle to commence Operation Hornblower. It’s stated purpose was to make contact with Agent Ripley in order to find out why she had ceased making communication with the Swan Song committee, but Gabrielle’s main purpose that night was to save her friend, Tom Slater.

Gabrielle was as ready as she would ever be. If Tom recognized her, Gabrielle was ready to drag her friend from the building, throw her in the first available cab, and head for the Swan Song safe house. While Grant Williamson hadn’t told her to do that specifically, Gabrielle would take it upon herself to end Agent Ripley’s mission. There would be no more missed opportunities to save Tom Slater like had occurred in Hong Kong the previous January.

Beginning with her flight from Seattle to Tokyo the previous Saturday, everything with Operation Hornblower had gone exceptionally well. Oscar was playing his part very well, and had even stopped calling his ‘girlfriend’ Gabby.

“Gabrielle it is. A pretty name for a pretty woman,” Oscar said about an hour after takeoff from Seattle-Tacoma airport. A private jet, owned by Brazil-Japan bank was carrying Gabrielle and Oscar across the Pacific. This fitted Hornblower’s cover story perfectly.

On arrival in Tokyo, Gabrielle and Oscar checked into the Mandarin Oriental. They sharing a three-room suite, but not the same bed. On Monday, Gabrielle began seeing the sights of Tokyo by day, while Oscar saw to bank business. At night time, Oscar and Gabrielle would go out together. A concert on Monday night, then a kabuki play on Tuesday.

On Monday morning, Gabrielle and Oscar left their hotel room and took the elevator to the lobby around eight in the morning. Before Gabrielle could step out of the elevator, Oscar took her hand.

“Remember, you’re my girlfriend.” Oscar said as they began walking through the lobby. Before they left the hotel, Oscar gave Gabrielle a short but pleasant kiss. Again for appearances sake.

The only bit of peculiarity from Oscar came on Thursday as Gabrielle was preparing for that night’s party. Oscar was again paying too much attention to the clothes Gabrielle was wearing.

“That jade dress looks just stunning on you,” Oscar said with a big grin on his face. Gabrielle’s dress was jade colored, short sleeved, and had a Chinese collar. On her feet were black high heeled sandals, and each of Gabrielle’s ears bore pearl stud earrings. “Truthfully, I couldn’t have picked out a better dress for you to wear.”

This clinched it for Gabrielle. One hundred percent certain, without the most minuscule bit of doubt, Oscar Tonaguchi was gay. Nevertheless, Oscar was playing the part asked of him so well that it made Gabrielle forget the banker’s peculiarities.

Gabrielle’s stress level began to increase the moment she left Oscar’s side in order to look for Hiromi Sato. The largest cause of stress was Gabrielle’s inability to predict what would happen when she found her friend. Would she be meeting and talking with Tom Slater or Hiromi Sato?

Finding Agent Ripley became easy after Gabrielle settled on a simple strategy. Finding a 5’4 Japanese woman in her late twenties among scores of similar looking women wouldn’t be easy. On the other hand, finding the same person’s 6’4 Caucasian boyfriend would be an easy task. Since the majority of the men there, were both Asian and much shorter than Charles McBride.

It took less than five minutes of searching, before Gabrielle found Chuck. He was standing by himself, not too far from where a forty piece orchestra entertained that evening’s guests.

As she walked up to Chuck, Gabrielle began to understand how Tom Slater could fall for the Australian. The Australian was a work of art so far as men went, and irresistible to any woman with a ounce of heterosexuality in her. Gabrielle felt that way and she was certain Tom Slater in the body of Hiromi Sato had also fallen under the spell of Charles McBride. From what Tom had told her in Hong Kong, Chuck was a complete gentleman also.

Chuck was sipping on a martini when Gabrielle Tanaka introduced herself. Women coming up to say hello were regular events in Chuck’s life.

“My name is Charles McBride. Nice to meet you, Gabrielle.”

“Nice to meet you too, Charles. Very nice party tonight.”

“Yes, it is,” Chuck said. “You’re American, aren’t you?”

Gabrielle smiled. “Yes, I am. Charles, earlier tonight I saw you with someone...”

“You must be talking about my Hiromi.”

Gabrielle noted the use of the word my. Was Chuck very possessive or did the Australian use that word because Hiromi was engaged to him? “Yes, Hiromi Sato. I think Hiromi and I have some mutual friends back in the United States.”

“Oh? Yes, Hiromi does get around a bit.”

“Me too, Charles.”

“Call me Chuck.”

“Ok, Chuck. You don’t know where Hiromi is right now, do you?”

“No, but the last time I saw her she was walking off in that direction.”

Gabrielle immediately noted where Chuck was pointing, to a staircase with one flight going up and one down.

“Hiromi went upstairs.”

“Thanks, Chuck. I really appreciate it. ”

“You’re welcome, Gabrielle.”

Gabrielle then left Chuck and went upstairs. The second floor of the ballroom wasn’t nearly as crowded as the ground floor. Still it took Gabrielle almost five minutes to find Hiromi Sato.

Needing some fresh air to breathe rather than the smoke-filled fog that seemed to fill the ballrooms, Hiromi Sato had walked out onto a second floor balcony. It was a beautiful, cool, Japanese evening.

As Gabrielle approached the body her friend Tom Slater now possessed, she couldn’t help but note the outfit Hiromi had on that night. A purple short sleeved low cut dress with train, that almost certainly was a Valentino. In addition diamond chandelier earrings adorned each of Hiromi Sato’s ears. Was this woman still Tom Slater, or had the male Army Captain crossed the abyss and become a woman not just in body but soul and mind?

Even knowing that the woman she saw was born male couldn’t shake the strong belief Gabrielle felt right then, that no man, even one trapped in a woman’s body, would dress in the fashion Hiromi Sato did. Had Tom Slater become irreversibly female?

Gabrielle once again told herself that it didn’t matter. “Nice evening isn’t it?”

Hiromi had seen Gabrielle approaching, but thought nothing of it. Just another guest that evening looking for fresh air, was her considered opinion of the unknown woman. “Yes it is.”

“My name is Gabrielle Tanaka, yours?”

Tom Slater’s persona slowly began to stir to life. ‘Gabrielle, you’re here.’

Hiromi Sato remained in control, for now. She already had Gabrielle Tanaka pegged as an American. Only women from that country would walk up in the fashion she had to a total stranger. “Hiromi Sato.”

“Nice to meet you, Hiromi.”

‘Save me, Gabrielle, save me.’ Tom was beginning to struggle with the Hiromi Sato persona. Who would come out on top?

Hiromi didn’t say a word in reply to Gabrielle’s greeting. Instead she stared off in the direction of downtown Tokyo. If was she the Oyabun of the Watanabe Yakuza one day, could this part of Japan be hers also?

“Have you ever been to the United States?”

“No, never,” Hiromi replied as she remained on top of Tom Slater.

“You remind me of some friends I have there.”

“I told you, I’ve never been to that country.” Gabrielle’s badgering bothered Hiromi. Would it be enough to get Tom Slater to emerge once again?

Gabrielle was already growing frustrated. She now knew that the Hiromi Sato persona had taken over the body she shared with Tom Slater. Whatever had caused this was unknown to Gabrielle. Could she still save Tom Slater?

One thing was for certain. Gabrielle wouldn’t give up without a fight. For the next minute or two she tried reminding Tom Slater in as many ways possible of who she really was.

“There’s this family in Washington State” Gabrielle began saying. Tom Slater tried coming to life, but each reminder thrown at the body he resided in, was swatted away by the stronger personality of Hiromi Sato.

“They’re Midori and Stuart Slater. Maybe you met them?”

“Never heard of them in my life.”

Gabrielle kept trying. “Midori is Japanese like you. Born in Hokkaido prefecture.”

Hiromi said nothing, refusing to look in the direction of Gabrielle Tanaka at all.

‘What can I do to bring you back to life, Tom? Please tell me.’ Gabrielle thought at the same time continuing her effort to kick start Tom Slater back to life.

Gabrielle talked more about the Slaters. Including Debra, Susan, and even Stuart Slater Jr. “They’re a nice family. Especially their brother Tom, did I say I know him?”

Tom Slater was continuing his struggle with Hiromi Sato. He was almost there, ready to come out again. If Gabrielle would just say the right words.

Gabrielle didn’t know what to say next. Hiromi Sato then spoke up. “I don’t know this person. Now excuse me.”

Hiromi Sato walked away from Gabrielle Tanaka. Tom Slater again lost the battle against the strong-willed woman he shared a body with.

Gabrielle was emotionally spent by this time. She just stood there speechless as Hiromi Sato walked into the ballroom, soon lost in the throngs of people.

“Oh Tom.”
 

~*~

 
To be continued in Part Ten

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice to see this return

Hi Danielle,

Nice to see another chapter here on Top Shelf. The number of characters as well as the twists and turns have made this story one of my favorites. There has been much talk lately about two other great stories, First and Ten and Road to Haifa and I think yours compares very favorably with it's tension and intrigue. I look forward to the next installment.

Kindest regards,
talonx

So glad to see this

story continued. Thank you Danielle J.

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

This was one of the stories

erin's picture

... I thought about when someone suggested that BC was just for fluffy, sweet stories. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I especially like the fact...

Puddintane's picture

...that the story actually *goes* somewhere, that unexpected things happen with real and sometimes terrible consequences, that the characters develop over time, and that (I hope) when the denouement comes, something rather important will have been discovered or achieved.

At no point during the evolution of this elaborate tale have I ever had the feeling that Alice will wake up and discover that Wonderland, the Red Queen, and everyone had been a dream.

Cheers,

Puddintane

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Welcome Back

terrynaut's picture

I'm glad to see this story back, and you, Danielle. I hope your health continues to improve. :)

The chapter is so long I had to break it up. I didn't have time to read it all at once. I just finished now.

I really like this story. It's different, in a good way. There's so much going on in it that there's something for everyone.

I'm enjoying both the romance and the suspense, and I look forward to reading more as your health permits. :)

Thanks.

- Terry

Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 9

What would happen if the original Hiromi Sato was to meet the Hiromi Sato/Tom Slater fusion? Would the two Hiromi Sato fight to the death, go catatonic? Or could Tom Slater take over the fusion body?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Losing Tom

Ohhhh, she has to be hurting now! The feeling of losing someone is a tough thing to deal with I know. What's worse is someone acting like they don't know you and act like they have NEVER known you is just as tough! It just makes one feel like lying down and dying! At least that's how it makes me feel.

Gabrielle will perservere though and so will Tom, I hope.

Vivien