Freya's Heir chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter Two

DISCLAIMER: I am not a canon author.

A few days later, Dr. Wang examined them again, “The first degree burns are gone already, the second and third degree are healing nicely. If this continues, you should be done in a few weeks instead of the months it would normally take and have minimal to no scarring.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Fred said, “I could wish for a book to read, but it would get waterlogged.”

“Maybe they can set us up with audiobooks?” Sally asked.

“We can do that if you don’t mind both listening to the same one,” Dr. Wang replied.

“I don’t mind if he doesn’t,” she replied, “We can alternate choosing titles.”

“Fine by me,” Fred said, “I’m curious about your taste in books.”

"You can pick first," Sally said. "I'll wait before subjecting you to my Douglas Adams fixation."

Fred smiled, "Thank you. If I go first then I pick 'Mutineers' Moon' by David Weber."

The staff set it up and the eleven hour audiobook about a man discovering a large spaceship under the lunar regolith and having the resident artificial intelligence declare him its captain played.

"That wasn't bad," Sally said, "It was pretty interesting, actually, and much better than just floating here trying to fill the time with conversation."

"Tomorrow is your pick," Fred said, "Then we can listen to the sequel to this one the next day if you really thought it was interesting."

Sally smiled, "I think we should both get a veto if we don't like the book. Tomorrow we'll start with Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. It has plenty of sequels too."

"I look forward to it," Fred said, "Talking to you is fun but it's good to have something else to fill the time."

They talked until they fell asleep then the next day dawned and they listened to the tale of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect catching a ride off the planet and all the adventures they had. Both of them were laughing out loud at some points.

"That was great!" Fred said five and half hours later, "I think we have time for the sequel after lunch. Is it about the same size?"

"Yes," Sally said, "Just as full of humor and potential for in jokes."

"Sounds good," Fred replied, "We can save Armageddon Inheritance for tomorrow since it's almost twelve hours long."

After lunch and after the nurses had assisted them with bathroom necessities they played 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' by Douglas Adams.

Two weeks passed, Fred's father, Robert, visited a few times, and they healed until finally it was time to get out of the tubs and start physical therapy.

Dr. Wang came in, "As you know you are now healed of your burns but despite the best treatment we can give you there are deleterious effects to not walking or otherwise exercising for two weeks. Also your newly grown skin needs a chance to toughen up a bit. Normally we would just transfer you to the physical therapy wing but your father has decided that you can do that best at home. I'm sure he has a proper set up ready. In a few minutes the nurses will come help you dress and escort you outside where there is a limo waiting. I'm very pleased at your recovery and wish you the best of health." After saying all that he gave a nod of the head and left before they could ask any questions.

Sally laughed, "I think you've got him worried. Can you see if the clothes are here or do we have to wait for the nurses?"

Fred sat up, "I can see them. There are two piles of clothes, each resting on a chair off to my right." He was blushing a bit at the thoughts going through his head. Not sure if he wanted them to be just wishful thinking or not.

Sally smiled, "Well if you're willing to keep your mouth shut about what you'll see I don't think we need to wait for the nurses to arrive with privacy screens and too many sets of unneeded hands and eyes. I think I can just get up and go dress if you think you can handle that."

Fred almost swallowed his tongue but managed to get out what he thought was a calm response, "Sure, no problem here. I hope I can do the same."

"If not I can help you once I'm dressed," Sally replied, before getting up and standing in her tub. She stretched and twisted to get stiff muscles limber but had no trouble getting out of the high sided tub and walking over to the pile of clothes with the sports bra on top. "After two weeks of spending every minute with you I'm not about to claim modesty but if you want to get dressed before about four nurses arrive to help, you need to close your mouth and try to stand."

Fred blushed a bit more but shut his mouth and stood. He felt a little stiff but not too bad, like he fell asleep in a chair or something. He worked out some stiffness then took a deep breath and got out of the tub, "Now I see why always having a towel with you is helpful."

Sally laughed, "Yeah, but I'd rather damp clothes than nurses drying me off." She had put on the bra and panties and was sliding into the jeans as he made it to the chair with boxers on top.

They were both dressed by the time the nurses arrived and were soon at the main desk where Fred's father was finishing the paperwork to sign them out.

On the limo ride back to the estate Sally said, "I know a place where they can train you in your powers. They have staff with powers and experience with all sorts of abilities."

Robert Nilsen said, "Yes, Whateley Academy. You might get in for the Spring semester if your physical therapy goes well. If not then we'll wait for Fall."

Fred looked surprised, "I didn't know there was a school just for mutants."

"I went there," Sally said. "There are a few possible consequences to being an exemplar that I didn't want to mention in the hospital. The room was nowhere near private enough. It's not even certain you're an exemplar so it's not certain you need to know but let me tell you what I know about Body Image Templates or BITs." She told him about them and how he might end up looking different. "You might not be an exemplar but you are probably what they call an avatar and some people end up looking like their spirit."

Fred shouted, "I hope not!" Then he calmed down, "If I was going to I would have started already so I guess I'm safe."

"Hopefully," she said. "Once we're settled back into the estate I'm going to call some old classmates and see what I can find out. Maybe we can move the spirit into me if necessary."

Robert said, "That's above and beyond Ms. Lavender. If you do that I will not only give you a most generous bonus but personally do whatever I can to assist you."

up
262 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

having a towel with you

oh yes, very useful item. good chapter !

DogSig.png

Hello!

Thank you for commenting!

David Weber

WillowD's picture

I used to re-read David Weber's books on a regular basis. Mutineer's Moon is a good series.

Just out of idle curiosity, did they listen to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audio book or to the radio play? I find radio plays are usually a lot more entertaining than just audio books.

Hello!

Thank you for commenting!
It was the audiobook. I didn't know you could download the radio plays to listen to them.

Thank you for the link

I have to use it and bring back childhood memories from when I listened to the original broadcasts (on Long Wave).

Grr8 start

Love the Whately universe!

alissa

Hello!

Thank you for commenting!

Towels are good

Good body guards are rare :)

Yes, they are. :)

Thank you for commenting!

No prune skin?

Jamie Lee's picture

Both are probably glad to get out of their extended baths, and won't have to wash for ages.

No comes the hard part, getting back in shape and learning about Fred's powers. And how the entity is going to affect Fred's life.

Others have feelings too.