Leave No Stone Unturned Chp. 9

Printer-friendly version

Rachel opens the front door with Maia standing near her. Standing on the other side was a Native American woman with long black hair. She notices that she was wearing a choker around her neck that had the head of a fox sitting in the middle of it. She was dressed in a nice pants
suit with a leather pouch that went across her chest.

“Can I help you, ma’am?” Rachel wonders if this was the woman Maia had mention.

“Yes, I was looking for a Rachel Stone. Is she available?” Cora had a feeling that the woman standing in front of her was Mrs. Stone.

“I’m Mrs. Stone, what can I do for you?”

“Well, Mrs. Stone my name is Cora Black and I’m a private detective from Arizona.” Cora digs her badge and id out and hands it to Mrs. Stone.

Rachel accepts the badge wallet and glances at the badge and Identity card inside. She closes it and hands it back to Cora. She wonders why this woman was so far from home.

Cora accepts the wallet back and puts it back in her leather pouch. She could tell that the young woman she met yesterday was standing nearby and that there was another person in the apartment as well.

“Would it be okay if I could come in, so I could talk with you?” Cora didn’t feel what she had to say to Mrs. Stone should be spoken out in the
open.

“Yes, please come in, Mrs. Black.” Rachel steps aside to let Mrs. Black in.

“Please, just call me Cora.” Cora walks inside the apartment.

She looks around and spots a man sitting in front of a laptop with several things spread about. Her nose twitch, because it was picking up a weird scent that didn’t match either of the people in the apartment.

Rachel and Maia watch as Cora walks into their apartment. Rachel notices that there was a grace about the way the young Native American woman moved. Her movement was more animal graceful, than human. She also noticed how observant Cora was as well.

“So, Cora. What brings you to New York?” Rachel turns around to look at Cora.

“A mutual friend of ours, Mrs. Stone. Do you know a Katie DeNoon?” Cora turns around to look at Rachel.

“Yes, I know a Katie DeNoon. We served together. You still didn’t answer my question.” Rachel remembers Katie from her days in the military.

“Do you recognized this person?” Cora brings a picture up of Sara Elizabeth Thompson.

“I can’t say I do.” Rachel glances over towards Warewolf and notices he was paying attention to them.

“How about this person?” Cora brings a picture of Edward Eugene Brown up on her screen.

Rachel looks at the picture and notices it was Sara’s former male self. She looks at Cora “where did you get those pictures?”

Warewolf grabs his gun and walks over to them. He was curious as well.

“There’s no need for the gun, sir. I was sent here to warn you that two Isis operatives are here in New York to kill you, Mrs. Stone.”

“They already tried and failed, Mrs. Black. That still doesn’t explain how you got those pictures.” Rachel wanted to know how Cora managed to get classified photos.

“Mrs. DeNoon manages to get these pictures for me. Your former army buddy, Mrs. Thompson is currently in the hospital recovering from
injuries she sustained from an attack. Her husband didn’t make it.”

Rachel places her hand over her mouth. She didn’t even know that Edward was still alive. She thought he had died on the assignment they had been sent on.

“Is Katie DeNoon in any trouble?” Warewolf was wondering about her.

A smirk appears on Cora’s face “they would have a hard time attacking her. She’s got connections in high places.”

“What is your relationship to her?” Maia looks at Cora.

“She’s my friend and partner in my investigation business. She’s the reason I’m here talking to you, instead of her.”

“Will she be coming to New York?” Rachel was curious.

“Yes, the company she works for is going to display their new Helicopter to the brass up here.”

“So, Katie has become a helicopter pilot. Who would had thought?” Rachel was impressed.

“She is a test pilot for the company she works for and does rescue and medical transport work as well. There is something I need to know. You
said the men tried and failed. How long ago was this?” Cora was curious.

“About a week ago. Why are you asking?” Warewolf was curious now.

“That’s about the time they attacked Mrs. Thompson. She’s been in the hospital recovering for about that long.” Cora figures they must have come back to New York to locate and kill Mrs. Stone.

“How is she?” Rachel was concerned about her former teammate.

“She’s going to recover. Has there been anything unusual since you killed the ones who came after you?” Cora was wondering if there were more Isis agents around.

Maia looks towards Rachel and Warewolf, before speaking. She was still thinking about that black van she saw when Warewolf was inside the warehouse.

“There was a black van that went by the warehouse those men have been operating out of. It drove by slowly like it was inspecting the place.”

“Did you get a picture of it?” Cora wanted to see it if she did.

“Yes, here.” Maia brings the van up on her cellphone.

Cora accepts the cellphone and looks at the video she took. There were no identifying signs or marks. She couldn’t see the driver or passenger, because the windows were tinted dark.

“It looks like there might be some Isis agents still around to take you out, Mrs. Stone.” Cora looks at Rachel.

“They are welcome to try. I wouldn’t mind adding a few more to my kill list.” Rachel didn’t mind adding a few more agents to her body count.

“Oh, there’s one more thing I forgot to mention. What do you know of a person by the name of Shaikh Farooqi?” Cora looks at Rachel and Warewolf.

“Nothing, why do you ask?” Rachel never heard the name before.

Neither had Warewolf. He wonders who the person is and why it mattered.

“Because he is the one supporting these Isis agents. According to what I told, your group killed his son and friends of his. Isis doesn’t mind trying to kill you, because you are wanted for killing their people. They also want Katie dead, because she killed his son. You and your fellow soldiers are wanted for killing his other relatives.”

“So, they are being financed?” Warewolf could track down the money.

“Yes.”

Global Courier Services:
“Hey Aisha, I have a delivery for you.” Chuck looks towards Aisha.

“Cool, I was getting bored just sitting and waiting, chief.” She puts her cellphone away.

She walks over and grabs the three boxes that Chuck had for her. She looks at the address and notices it was the same warehouse she went to before. She wonders what was in the boxes.

Aisha carries them over to her motorcycle and puts two of them in the cargo box and mount the third one on top of the box. She makes sure it is secure, before mounting her motorcycle and driving off. She wonders what the boxes contained and wonder if anyone will be there.

She was halfway to the warehouse when she runs into traffic. She maneuvers her motorcycle just in time to avoid being hit. However, the strap holding the third box on top of her courier box breaks. The box falls off and hits the ground.

“Crap! Thanks, a fucking lot you bastard.” Aisha pulls over and parks her motorcycle as she hops off and runs to retrieve the box that fell off.

She manages to grab it, just before a car comes by. When she goes to inspect it, she notices it was split open. When she looked inside, she notices that whatever was inside was wrapped in plastic wrap. She was curious, so she opens it a little and saw a hundred-dollar bill.

“Holy shit!” She wonders if the rest of the contents were like this. She turns the box upside down and shakes it.

A square of wrapped-up bills falls out of the box. She couldn’t believe how much money she was holding. She wonders if this money was being used to finance a hit or something.

She pulls a business card out of her wallet that Warewolf had given her and dials his number. If anyone would know, he would. She puts the cube back into the box.

Rachel’s and Maia’s Apartment:
Warewolf was listening to the conversation going between Rachel and Cora Black. He hears his cellphone ringing. He walks over to where he left it and picks it up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Warewolf I don’t know if you remember me, but I have something here you should be aware of.”

Warewolf recognizes the voice as that belonging to the courier he met at the warehouse. He remembered giving her one of his business cards, should she come across something.

“I remember who you are Aisha. What can I do for you?”

“You won’t believe what I just came across. I was on my way to that warehouse where we met when one of my deliveries I had fell. When I went to pick it up, I noticed it was split open, so I decided to check out the contents. Inside was a square bundle of money of various value.”
Warewolf was curious when he hears this “how many packages do you have for them?”

“Three and I don’t know if the other two are filled like this one.” Aisha was curious about the other two boxes.

“Don’t deliver them to that warehouse. Can you bring them to me, instead?” Warewolf wanted to see what the other two boxes contained.

“Sure, it’s going to take me about thirty minutes to get to you, wherever you are.”

“I’m going to send you, my address. Get here as fast as you can.” Warewolf texts the address to Rachel’s place.

Aisha sees the address appear on her cellphone. She figures it should take her about twenty minutes if she uses all her shortcuts.

“I’ll be to you in twenty minutes Warewolf.” Aisha ends the phone call and secures the box better.

She mounts her motorcycle after sending a text to Chuck telling him she has another delivery. He reminds her to pay him when she comes in.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nice twist.

WillowD's picture

This is a nice little twist in the story. I love it the way your stories all inter twine with each other.

Inyresting!!!

Samantha Heart's picture

I think we just found out how the $ is getting in to fund the hits.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

To keep the money

Wendy Jean's picture

Or not to keep the money, that is the question.