The Offspring of Backward Rodents Long Journey to the Fabled Land Encircled by their Cousin's Cemetery

Printer-friendly version


Author’s note: This story is sort of a crossover fanfic, although it could perhaps stand on its own. Being a crossover, it includes people from two television franchises. I can safely say that I own none of the people from either of those “worlds” included herein, nor do I intend any copyright infringement.

It was tempting to simply post this as is, but considering how much trouble it was to write without giving away identities, but still have people act at least somewhat correctly, I decided to post it as it really is. Decipher the story within reason, and the title, and you should figure out who these people are.

And now, on with the story!

-=#=-

The Offspring of Backward Rodents Long Journey to the Fabled Land Encircled by their Cousin's Cemetery



The red-haired woman sat there, waiting for him to arrive, but before he sat down, he surveyed the scene carefully. His client’s coppery red hair, may have faded from a rich auburn. It was obviously long, even pulled into a bun, and gave her an apparent age of anywhere from fifty to sixty-five.

He appeared to be roughly the same age, whatever that was, but looks could be deceiving. The woman had heard legends of him existing long before her birth. After one last glance around the lounge, he decided things would be alright, so he made his way to her table.

It had once been that he had no concerns, but times had changed. His old methods had been deciphered, as had his motives. Now, he traveled incognito. He had to. To move in the open would risk mobs.

He sat down, and gave the false name he had told her. She responded in kind. He couldn't even advertise in the open as his name was too well known. His clients often needed anonymity as well. Again, the risk of well-meaning people was simply too great.

How can I help you?” he asked the woman. A server approached, but he waved her away.

I need help with my husband,” she told him.

How?”

Well, my husband and my daughter, really.”

The man gestured for her to continue.

My husband has never been close to her, but if he'd just get to know her... To understand her!”

Explain,” the man told her.

My current husband and my first husband were always friends. Good friends, in fact. They served together. My now-husband was my first husband’s CO.

I see.”

So who is your daughter’s father?” The man asked.

That’s where things get strange,” she replied. “My first husband never knew of the affair.”

I see. So your daughter is from your current husband.” He paused, then asked. “How did your marriage with your first husband end?”

She sighed. “He was killed while under the command of the man who is now my husband.”

The man cocked his head, and then said to her, “Your daughter. She has not always been, has she?”

She shook her head. “You have decided who I am, haven’t you?”

He nodded. “The story of your life is well known, as is that of the commander.” He thought for a moment. “I will take the job on the provisio that the relationship between your daughter and husband can benefit from my… ministrations.”

She continued. “He knew of his ‘son’, but because the two men were best friends, I believe he was ashamed of the betrayal. I know I was.”

Did he have any relationship with his child before the death of your first husband?”

Shaking her head, she confessed, “While they were aware of each other, they had never met until long after the death of my husband. My first husband, of course.”

But the child didn’t know who her father was?”

No.” She spoke with downcast eyes. It appeared that she was still ashamed of their actions.

So I believe I have the general story of that time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.” She agreed, so he continued. “You were in love with the man who is now your husband, but he was too focused on his career to commit to you. So when his friend asked, you willingly married him, although you were having an affair with the man you are now married to.” He sighed. Not being able to say names in public could complicate a conversation immeasurably.

She nodded, and didn’t stop him, so he continued. “Is the problem he has with your daughter the fact that she has come out as a woman, or because your husband is still ashamed of his actions?”

Neither. I believe he settled with both of our actions years ago. I did as well, but admitting it to you brings back the feelings of shame. As far as coming out, I don't think it even phased him.”

So, what is the problem?”

My husband has never done well with children. I'm not sure why, but it has never been his strong point.”

Am I to understand that the change has made things worse?”

Yes, it has.”

But your daughter is an adult. Correct?”

Yes, she is.”

I would think your daughter’s time as a child would have little to do with it.”

She didn't answer for a while. Finally, she nodded. “So what is the real reason?” the man asked her.

They were best friends, my husbands. You know that, but my daughter has never known that her father wasn't who she thought.” He didn't say anything, so she had to continue. “Before he died, my first husband recorded himself telling his 'son’ about himself, and how proud he was to be ‘his’ father.” She paused before continuing. “When my daughter viewed that recording, I believe my, at the time, future husband decided to never destroy the idea that my first husband was her father. Now, he wants her to know how much he loves her no matter who she is, but he doesn't seem to know how.”

The man focused his penetrating eyes on her. “You need to be honest to yourself, Doctor,” he said, for the first time using her title. “That is not the only reason.”

True. My husband lost his brother and nephew, sometime ago. The responsibility for the family name is now his. Even through adoption it won't happen now.”

And so we come to the real reason,” the man said. “Surely, he knows that this would have happened regardless if you had been honest with your daughter?”

His use of the word 'you’ bothered her, but she had to admit it was both of them; not just him. “Yes.”

Abruptly, he stood. “I am not the right person to help. You have a counselor and friend who is far more familiar with the situation than I.”

The doctor nodded

I bid you good day.” He turned to leave, then turned back for a moment. “Please tell your husband that I have admired him for many years.”



-=#=-

Author's note.

It will be obvious to any who have placed the characters, that while I enjoyed the latest installment on the doctor's ‘husband’, I chose to ignore it for this short story.

up
29 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos