Gerold vs. the Good Old Boys -04-

Printer-friendly version

Gerold

Gerold vs. the Good Old Boys

4/ Discovery

By Jo Dora Webster

Cover Art by Melanie E.

How can Gerrie, who is finally good in her own skin,
impersonate Gerold's male gender expression?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


4/ Discovery

I managed to get myself checked out of the hospital without much problem. Grace was a dear and used her power of attorney to get things pushed through so I did not have to exert myself. She came through the door with a signed release form to give to the nurse's station and a complete change of clothes that she had retrieved from my home since mine had been rendered unwearable due to my heart attack.

"Gerald, here is the change of clothes that you asked me to bring. I'll deliver your release papers to the nurse's station while you get dressed."

"Whoa, Grace! Since when did you start calling me, Gerald?"

"Since my new girl friend has to pretend she's a man. I've put out the word to everyone at work who was going to start following my example and call you Gerrie to instead keep calling you Gerald. For you it can be a reminder not to slip out of the male persona that you'll be portraying. I've told them that you want to make sure you have to transition so you are attempting to see if you can keep up the male persona. Otherwise, as understanding as the girls in the office are, they would have you in skirts for your own good so fast it would make your head swim."

"Point well taken, Grace. Thank you for calling me, Gerald. That was a good catch letting them think this was about my male pride instead of letting the cat out of the bag about my undercover assignment. I'm already slipping a bit with my word choices. I can't even relax for real when I walk anymore since my walk is becoming more feminine without any body changes yet."

"How are you doing when you take control of your actions instead of relaxing?"

"I am acting completely masculine when I concentrate on what I do and say. I'm going to finish up as soon as I can. I never realized what a load of poo that all that macho act that men do is in reality till my change in perspective, How did you put up with me, Grace?"

I seemed like I just had to cry right then and Grace let me get it out and then offered me tissue to clean myself up again.

"You never were as bad as the other guys. I would have suspected you were gay, but I knew better. I never would have suspected that you had a tumor covering up a woman's brain. I guess with that as an advantage, you were able to counteract part of the macho doo doo that the tumor was sending your way. Gerald, go ahead and get dressed, We can talk more later."

"Thanks, Grace, I'll get dressed then open my room door when I'm ready."

"Bye, Gerald."

Grace left and closed the room door behind her. I had already showered and put on clean underwear, I took off the clean hospital gown and began to put my business suit on.. It usually wasn't that formal in the office but I tended to dress a bit less casual so that I could fit in with the managers that I took my breaks with. Even Grace had a smart olive green business suit with jacket, and matching skirt with a delicious cream shell underneath, on this morning.

We were going to have our required Sexual Harassment briefing this morning. We expected several VIP's from other state government departments in attendance since our briefing was designated a makeup session for any who had missed it when it was held in their departments. Soon I was sharp looking as everything was exactly where it was supposed to be, at least for the male persona that I was portraying. Somehow, I wished that I was wearing something like Grace was wearing to fit in with the women, except I could not do that. Yet!

I opened the door and Grace was waiting with a hospital transport attendant who had a wheel chair waiting for me so I sat and was settled. My belongings were on a duffle on the bed which Grace collected and sat in my lap. We were about to get going when Dr Drake motioned for the attendant to stop and she came closer to speak with Grace and I.

"Gerald, Please don't cut corners with the instructions that I have left on the discharge order. In spite of your determination to finish what ever it is that is so important, I am counting on your recuperative ability to get you thru the aftermath of your surgery. On this card is my private telephone number which only my immediate family have access. I expect that if anything unusual comes up that you will contact me immediately and let me decide if it is significant. I am determined to give you the best chance of recovery in spite of yourself." She handed me the card which I immediately put in my suit coat's inside pocket for safe keeping.

"Thank you, Dr Drake. I appreciate your help and concern. I will follow orders so hopefully all will go well but if something come up, I will call you as you asked. Thank you for providing total access to me for this occasion."

"That's all I had to say. Watch over him, Grace, Good Luck, Gerald!"

Both Grace and I thanked Dr Drake and we were on our way, The transport assistant took us out a secret way where a cab was waiting to take both Grace and I to the office. We made small talk in the cab since there was so much secrecy going on right then and for the first time, we were out of an environment where what we said would be ignored out of patient privilege.

Upon arriving at work, Grace took me straight to Reyna Langston, the attorney who was the department's supervisor's office. Grace handed a packet of papers to Reyna and she indicated to us that we should be seated.

"Gerald, It's so good to see you up and about after your heart attack and other medical complications!"

"Thank you, Reyna. I am very glad to be out of the hospital."

Reyna glanced over the papers that she was presented by Grace.

"This final paperwork is substantially what you faxed to me last night, Grace, Thank you for being so efficient, Your attention to detail really has sped up processing Gerald's situation. "

"You are welcome, Reyna. I wanted to keep you completely in the loop. And what about that other matter that I gave you that hypothetical about?"

"Gerald, Grace gave me a hypothetical situation. I feel as if I would be willing to take you on as a client to advise you concerning what should be disclosed officially and when. Since you can never take back a disclosure, and it is best to be very selective as to the information and the timing of release in this situation. The department has information update forms which I will advise you when and what to disclose to the department as this develops."

"Excellent, Reyna. I suggest we finish up our off the record discussion before time for work to begin and you have to take off your lawyer hat and put on your supervisor hat."

"Gerald, off the record, once you do disclose and start your transition, I will make it as easy as possible within the department, However I have no control of what ever restrictions that the facility supervisor may impose as well as the state government, I've spoken to Veronica off the record. She seems like she will be very supportive. I understand Celeste came to see you yesterday."

"She did. Did you know that she reads auras?"

"Really?"

"Yes, really! She compared my aura before the surgery and descried it as virile. When she observed it yesterday, she said that it's becoming very feminine. She seemed okay with it. I guess the verdict is in with the MRI and now my aura, I really am a woman, now for the rest of my life."

"Well it looks like you will be a sheep in wolf's clothing for a while, Gerald. I hope that things work out for you, to complete what ever it is that is so important that you checked yourself out of the hospital instead of using that in patent time to jump-start your transition."

"I really need to put my life in order, visit friends, that sort of thing. Even with the new acceptance of Harry Benjamin Syndrome, the word transsexual still has a bit of a sting and stigma attached to it. Even with these times being better than anything previous, I have a feeling that some of those will turn out to be goodbyes, regardless"

I hadn't thought a lot about the excuse that I was putting my life in order as though I were about to die. In some ways, it would be exactly like that. I couldn't help but cry a bit as the emotion welled up within me. Perhaps, I should really get in touch with everyone while I was out, just in case.

"There, there now, sweetie"

Grace comforted me and handed me a tissue to dry my eyes when I had cried my self out. I composed myself as best that I could.

"The emotions come so freely now. I'm going to have to do my best to control them if my ruse as Gerald is going to work. I'm just glad that this was in private so no harm's done.

"I for one will be glad when you do feel your old life is in order and you get down to creating your new life. I'm going to be glad to get to know the new you, whom I feel will have the best of what you have always been plus a few surprises given to you from your new life. Please pay very close attention to the briefing. From your old perspective, you would be focusing on how to make sure your social interactions were understood clearly and were wanted. From your new perspective, you should try to learn how to avoid being a victim by being very firm when something doesn't feel right and how to deal with the situation if you become a victim."

"I'm afraid that you are right. Even with things changing, there is still a very powerful male privilege that makes things difficult which is misused criminally in these sexual harassment situations. Is it wrong of me to try to hold on to that male privilege a bit longer to get done what needs to be done?"

Reyna turned to me and held my hand as though it were girl to girl.

"A girl needs to use everything that she can to get things done. Gerrie, you are going to have to find a way to get things done without male privilege, in the long run"

"Thank you, Reyna. You are right and I will pay attention at the briefing. So much for me to do and to learn. I hope that I am equal to the task."

"If anyone can do it, you can, Gerald. Time to get your game face on!"

Grace really encouraged me and prompted me that I could no longer let down my guard. We three looked through the window into the office commons and saw a number of men walk in and gather by the coffee pot.

"That's right, Gerald. That's your crowd out there and I expect that you will want to be joining them until the briefing starts. Our consultation is concluded. Grace, I have some thing to discuss with you, if you'll stay a moment. Welcome back to work, Gerald!"

"Thank you, Reyna!"

I exited Reyna's office with Grace shifting into the closer seat I had occupied for her one on one conversation with Reyna.

I summoned the memory of the person that I had been and proudly walked out to greet the men with whom I had shared a camaraderie. On command, my 'Gerald' persona came to the forefront and took control at my direction while I sat back and took in each detail.

As I expected, my boss's boss, James Thornton, came forward first, and greeted me with a bit more decorum than the rest since I was in his indirect oversight.

"Hello, Gerald! It's nice to see you up and around! I admire your dedication to work that you wouldn't even let a heart attack keep you away."

"Thank you, Mr. Thornton. It's good to be back at work"

Near him was Ned Somersby who ran at the same mid level management, the Maintenance department.

"Hi Gerald! Take care of yourself, Man! Thorny would be lost without you translating woman speak from all the skirts in his domain"

How dare he speak of my friends like that! Instead of the tongue lashing I wanted to dish out to Ned, I simply smiled big and gave him a firm handshake.

"You've got it , Man!"

With Ned, flanking him was Carl Allen (projects), Ivan Maddox (Materials Storage), and Lester Sanders (Heavy Equipment), who were at the same level as Reyna occupied on the organizational chart.

"Yo, Gerald, How're they hangin'" was Carl's greeting.

I wonder what he would have said to a straight answer. My nipples had barely started budding due to the hormones and at Carl's good wholesome country boy looks seemed to harden. I must be bi.

Same as always and ready for anything, Carl."

"Gerald, my man, take it easy chasing those lovelies around the office. It's not worth dying over!"

"Oh, but Ivan, it is worth it!"

"Careful tiger, you have to at least do a better job covering it up. You wouldn't want to become part of the next Sexual Harassment Extravaganza!"

I couldn't do anything remotely like those cads in the training videos. It hurt more than I thought to play along even for effect.

"Les, you just have to be smart enough not to get caught!"

I grinned at him and let out a rebel whoop and all the men joined in with me.

I wanted to gag but I couldn't. Collectively these five men were the people that I spent my breaks and meals with since I had been working at this division of the Georgia Department of Transportation office. There was another office located elsewhere for political purposes that held the new construction and planning arms of the organization.

A couple of men, who were clearly VIP's walked in. I recognized one as Chad Duran, the Georgia Secretary of Transportation and the other as Jacob Thornton, the Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. Yes, Jacob was James's older brother. Nepotism is alive and well in the state of Georgia. There were a number of other new faces who were congregating in another area of the reception area of the office. A lot of those newcomers were men but they held either the same level or lower position than I had and kept "Their Place."

"Jacob, this is my right hand man in the Outdoor Signage Department, Gerald Mercer. Gerald, this is the honorable Jacob Thornton, Lieutenant Governor of the great state of Georgia, and a great big brother to me."

I reached out and took Jacob's hand with a firm handshake. I had already been in a group several times with Jacob present but this was my first formal introduction to him.

"Hello, Gerald. Best wishes for your recovery from your heart attack. James tells me good things about you. It's a shame that you don't have the title to go with the great job you are doing. A man deserves that job. We'll just see what we can do about that. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Mr. Lieutenant Governor,"

James directed me toward the other man to make introductions.

"Chad, this is Gerald Mercer, whom you've heard about his great work for us. Gerald this is Mr. Chadwick Duran, Secretary of Transportation for the State of Georgia."

"Hello, Gerald. I agree with Jacob that you should be paid a man's wage and I will be glad to see a man in that position. Its a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Mr. Duran. I am glad to do my best and uphold the best traditions of southern men!"

"Well said, Gerald. You've done well, James, taking him under your care. He clearly knows where his loyalties lie."

My loyalty of course was to the truth and the people these men were hurting with their corruption, I guess that I was being a good actress if the contempt that I felt in my heart wasn't showing on my face. The attention that the group had on me with the well wishes and introductions quickly turned to focus on Grace who had just left Reyna's office and were headed toward us or rather toward me.

"Pipe those gams!"

"Love to have those lips wrapped around my dick!"

"What a delicious fuck!"

I was about to go on overload and take them all out being thankful I still had the strength and body of a man to do it. Fortunately when she came within earshot the comments ceased except one from James and a response from Lester.

"Don't bother, man! She's a lezzie. She hasn't got a clue how to treat a man right."

"I could force myself on her and she'd be crying out for more."

Thankfully my torment at playing my part came to a halt when Gloria stopped in front of me with a sweet smile on her face. I could tell that she was projecting with her eyes, 'What Assholes!' and yet the men around me didn't get it and only appreciated her smile.

"Gerald, It's time to report to work. I thought that we could walk together to meet the other girls in the department before the presentation."

I was about to answer her but James interrupted me.

"Gloria, please direct on my authority, Miss Reyna to count Gerald, present and on time for work on her report. Gerald will be staying with us and sitting with us during the presentation . Is that clear, Gloria?"

"Yes, Mr. Thornton. I'll convey your directive to Reyna. Good bye, Gerald!"

Gloria's overt look she shot me was full of disdain and betrayal, while with her eyes, she showed amusement and wished me good luck. I wondered how much information that I had been missing as a reporter prior to my surgery that became very clear now. The poor SOB's would never know what hit them. I was glad of a little fun being a sheep in wolf's clothing which helped calm me from the fury I had experienced over their poor treatment of my friend .

"My conference room is over there, Gentlemen if you would care to wait there for the presentation to begin."

"Lead the way, Brother, I am anxious to sit down and continue our conversation in private."

We all gathered around the conference table after helping ourselves to the continental breakfast provided. Once we were all seated, it surprised me what luck I had in taking the seat between Jacob and James.

"I have a little something for you, brother."

James took a briefcase revealed to be full of money when it was opened and passed it to Jacob. I caught in really amazing video for such a small camera the whole transaction, including great shots of the documents inside with the actions that were expected of the recipient of the money.

Jacob began passing out bundles of hundreds to each man seated at the table according to his management level. When it came my turn, instead of passing out a bundle of money to me, Jacob instead spoke to me.

"Gerald, you have proven yourself trustworthy. You deserve a cut of this and you will have it. However instead of taking it in cash like the others, I have something else in mind. It's downright inconvenient not having you formally in the chain of command. You'll be taking over Reyna's job and there will be a bonus in your pay equal to what the others your new level have gotten. You'll learn to stash your cash in a manner that won't arouse suspicions but for now, since we can we'll make your first payoff above board. How does that sound to you, Gerald?"

"Thank you Mr. Thornton! That sounds fantastic! I won't betray your trust."

"You had better not, Gerald and belay that Mr. Thornton when it's just us its Jacob. James can set you straight on how to keep your payoffs untraceable before another deal comes through that we can't hide with another bonus."

"Thank you, Jacob!"

Jacob closed and locked the briefcase after putting the contents from his own briefcase and a false bottom in to cover up the remaining contents.

"Once you have the authority, you will get some instructions and I expect you to carry them out without question using those talents that James is always raving about."

"Yes, sir!"

"The program is about to start. We should all go down to the cafeteria to take our seats. The tattletale who is taking attendance isn't with our group so we have to be in place so that we aren't hounded by her anymore about this."

"Lead on, Brother!"

We filed out of the conference room and into the cafeteria where we sat at tables which were arranged so that everyone had a good look at the stage area with the wide screen at the front . The chairs which would be facing away from the front if they were underneath the table had been turned around so that everyone was facing the same way. The group of men that I was included in, took a seat at one of the tables in the rear of the room.

The presentation started with a film. you know the kind if you have ever been in a sexual harassment presentation. When others couldn't hear there were lewd comments punctuating the film like in MST3K from the others.

The lights came up and we turned our chairs around to face the table. Each of us were presented a workbook with a practice test at the end to answer questions relating to the video we had just seen. I was able to fade into the background while the others were trying to impress the Lieutenant Governor and the Secretary of Transportation with how they were running their departments. It gave me a chance to inwardly celebrate the fact that this would soon be all over. I had the pay off on video and now I only needed to blow up the images of the documents to read the directives and use the state's computer system to document evidence that a quid pro quo had occurred with the directive being carried out.

It amused me at no end that it had taken me becoming a woman to finally make it as one of the good ol' boys.

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nasty men

I feel for her having to be around such jerks, much less having to pretend to be one of them

DogSig.png

It gets better.

Greetings

I took a detour for a rewrite of the first five chapters of Mustard Seed,. I've finished writing the last chapter of Arresting Development which will be 9/Rewards. I look forward to posting each chapter of Arresting Development until the whole book is completed.

Thank you for going on this journey with me.

Jo Dora Webster

Fallout

Once the investigation concludes, there's going to be a lot of fallout, given all five male managers were apparently in on the corruption with Jacob (Lt. Governor) - given he was also present, presumably Chad (Transport Secretary) as well.

Meanwhile, it's a good job all the remaining evidence has now been collected given Gerrie had to keep a straight face with "you should be paid a man's wage and I will be glad to see a man in that position" and promising not to betray their trust.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Um...what's a man's wages?

Jamie Lee's picture

Gerrie could go on stage, given the performance she's giving now. Those JAs haven't a clue they're about to be exposed by their own actions.

And then what? Will Gerrie need protection once the whistle is blown? The Governor and Lt. Governor are going to be super ticked, even though they're the ones breaking the law.

Reyna is going to be surprised when she learns Gerald is slated to replace her. But maybe she expects it, knows those JAs have been after her for some time. But since she knows what's really going on, her getting the boot won't last long. Now her boss, on the other hand, will get a boot but not one he's expecting.

And just what are man's wages? There's no such thing. Too long women have been paid less for the same work, but a man gets paid based on his usefulness, skill and knowledge. That he should be given a certain amount of pay because he's a man is ridiculous.

Others have feelings too.