Talk Show

Printer-friendly version

TJ.jpg
Talk Show
Fictional Transcripts
By Maryanne Peters

Season 3 Episode 5

JT: Welcome everybody to another “Tonight with Tanner”. I am Joe Tanner. And tonight, we have the star of the new Show “Crossover” with us tonight. Please welcome TJ Albright.

APPLAUSE

JT: TJ, Welcome.

TJA: Thank you Joe. And thanks everybody. It’s good to be here.

JT: I have to say it but once again you are with us in full costume.

TJA: You call this a costume? It’s just a dress I threw on.

JT: Better than thrown on. You look fantastic. What I mean is that since the show started 2 months ago, we have never seen you in public dressed as a man, or speak in man’s voice.

TJA: Well the producers have set some unusual rules. I think that they don’t want to destroy Megan’s feminine mystique. It is an important part of the show, as it is developing. I mean she has to be believable as a woman, so I guess they think that if the public sees that she’s really a man, I mean me, just pretending, it sort of makes it less …, whatever.

JT: For all those who have not seen the show you had better explain who your character is and what she is up to.

TJA: Sure, I guess there are a few people who have not seen it yet [laughs].

JT: Just a few.

TJA: Well, I play Megan McCann, who was previous Mike McCann, a tough Boston cop. In episode 1 Megan returns to his precinct, sorry, I meant her precinct. Or Mike’s old precinct. His precinct.

JT: I am glad to see you are as confused as anybody.

TJA: So, I play a transgender person. A transwoman. Someone who was very masculine and is now trying to conform to a public perception of femininity. It’s a challenge for her.

JT: And a challenging role for you?

TJA: Sure. But it’s a fantastic role. Very complex. Anyway, when Mike left to go through his transition, he was a detective. But when Megan gets back she gets put back on the beat.

JT: Is that a gender issue? She gets demoted. Is sexism the right word for trans-folk?

TJA: I’m not sure. The officer in charge, played by the fantastic Gerry Dunford …

JT: Great actor.

TJA: Yes, and a great guy. So, his take on it is that Megan will benefit from getting back to work with the advantage of wearing the uniform. Like having the badge to back him, or her. It’s not in the script but Gerry is playing it that way. I think it makes sense. Anyway, she believes that she will get back upstairs, and … spoiler alert.

JT: Spoiler alert!?

TJA: Next season we have story lines with her back on detective work. So, I’m looking forward to that. Getting out of the uniform.

JT: Yes, there are some great police stories in the current season, and some action as well, but underpinning this is the whole transsexual thing.

TJA: More correctly a transgender thing, Joe, but yes. This is a difficult thing for her. Before the transition Mike was married, and both her parents are living locally, but those roles have not been cast yet. The parents and the ex-wife I mean. She is having enough problems with colleagues and with the people she encounters as a police officer. There is plenty of material there without the domestic issues. So next season maybe?

JT: And then there are potential love interests?

TJA: You are making the assumption that since becoming a woman Megan is attracted to men.

JT: Well they are attracted to her, right?

TJA: Well you are talking about John Cable who was Mike’s partner as a detective, and Dylan Clay who is on the beat with her every day. There are very different dynamics at work here. Dylan never knew Mike, so he has only seen her as her. But he is clearly a manly guy, he’s black, ex football player. He is attracted to Megan but he is fighting it. Maybe he fears that falling for a transwoman means he’s gay. That’s hard for him. But he is also seeing how hard life can be for Megan. He appreciates just what a tough woman she is. She has to be.

JT: And John? There seems to be some opinions online that they should hook up. There have been some intimate moments.

TJA: Well of course, John is the guy who sees his close friend and colleague transition, so his is a different outlook. He is shocked and confused. I think we can understand why. But, yeah, he’s attracted to her, sure. I think that the tease lies at the root of a lot of shows. You know, the “will they, won’t they”. I think that the writers can spin it out a bit longer. And don’t rule out Dylan. You saw how he carried me out of the building last week? That was pretty intimate.

JT: That Jim Gainsford is a strong dude. Sorry, for those of you who don’t follow the show Jim plays the Dylan Clay character.

TJA: Oh yes, he lifted me up as if I was a feather. Hmmm. And also, what makes it interesting is that Jim did not know me before the show either, just like his character, whereas Jason who plays John Cable was obviously in lots of the scenes with me as Mike, so we met when I was male full-time.

JT: So, Jim has only known you looking like you do now? Wow. That must be confusing for him.

TJA: I wasn’t deliberate. He just joined the cast when were well into production. But I think it adds to the dynamic, for both Jason and Jim. Jason knew me before, like John did Mike; Jim didn’t, like his character Dylan.

JT: So, there might be some genuine attraction there?

TJA: [laughs] Maybe. You best ask him. But I am supposed to be attractive. It adds to the confusion being suffered by most of the men on the show. I am working on it. It helps that I have lost quite a bit weight over filming so far. I have been working on developing a more feminine shape.

JT: I was going to ask about that. Some viewers have noticed that. It is true?

TJA: It’s not hard to lose muscle mass if you are not working out, and I’m not. Just fitness. I was doing weights before the series started screening. You know, I had the Mike McCann flashback scenes. I had to be buff for that. Well, at least solid enough for a tough guy.

JT: Not so many flashbacks recently?

TJA: I filmed hours of footage as Mike, for written scripts, months and months ago. Some of the scenes were for planned story lines and some for general stock footage. I even filmed you know “Mike tells his wife”, “Mike tells his parents”, “Mike tells his brother,” and none of those people have been casted. So, if they are going to use that footage it will need careful editing, or I will need to go back to the gym to get my Mike back, as it were.

JT: So just checking that I have this right, the producers are happy for you to become less male because they don’t need Mike anymore.

TJA: No, they are happy for me to be less male because that is the way the character is headed. Of course, Megan and I are very different – she has had gender confirmation surgery, obviously I haven’t had any surgery [laughs]. I mean this is still just a role, but I have done my best with skin treatments, and the vitamin regime that the producers have suggested. So, it is working on my external appearance – right?

JT: Well … yes. I mean, I have to say it, your skin looks great. Any woman would be proud to have it look that good. But your character … she has gone the whole way? Gender confirmation surgery is a full sex change?

TJA: She can function sexually as any other woman can. But I don’t expect to be asked to do any sex scenes anytime soon [laughs].

JT: So, Megan has her crown jewels no more?

TJA: A different set of crown jewels installed. But I should add here as I have been advised by our transgender consultant on the show – “it’s none of your business what I have down there”. I have to say, that your obvious interest in what is in this character’s panties conforms to that stereotype. You need to get over it, Joe [laughs].

JT: Ok, so no more anatomy questions. Let’s just talk about some of these flashbacks to Mike’s police career, he was a seriously tough cop?

TJA: That is very true. His big problem is that as Megan he is desperately searching for the woman’s way to do things, whereas Mike would simply have punched somebody. Some of the flashbacks reinforce that. The first time he reacted in a “Mike-like” way to help Dylan out, she was deeply ashamed and was in tears. It was effective, but it was like a backward step in her transition.

JT: That was her feeling, but do you think it was appropriate?

TJA: Maybe not. I think a woman can be just as violent as a man sometimes. But I can understand how Megan was shattered by having reacted in that way. She wants to put that behind her. These incidents disappoint her. These are real issues for transwomen. It is like the male side of them bursting through. I think that we have some great scripts to work with.

JT: This is still primarily a cop show?

TJA: That’s right. All your questions have been focused on the gender issues being faced by the lead character, but the scripts are about crimes being handled every day, and to a certain extent about how the way of handling things is changing. Megan represents a new style of police officer. The contrast is between Mike, who was a two fisted, arm twisting cop, and Megan who tries to use empathy and understanding to achieve results. It’s like the Mike way is the old way, the Megan way is the new way. In that light, gender is incidental. It’s about attitudes. That’s what the scriptwriters are trying to show. How policing is changing, or should be.

JT: And you too? In your performance, I mean?

TJA: This is my most challenging role. I have played tough guys and obviously I have never played a woman before. Here I am playing a transwoman. She is trying to be the person that she feels she is, by submerging the person she was, despite being in highly stressful situations. And at the same time, she wants to be a better police officer too.

JT: Are you enjoying the role?

TJA: Loving it.

JT She also has to face up to a lot of bigotry.

TJA: She does. She and Dylan have something in common there. I think that prejudice against transgendered people can be just as vicious as racial hatred. What makes it worse for me is that most hatred of transgendered people is based on a misunderstanding of what this is.

JT: Do you think the show is helping? Helping people to understand?

TJA: I would hope so. I confess I myself, knew very little. I hope I know more now.

JT: Is the transgender community supportive of the show?

TJA: The majority yes. There are some that think we use too much stereotypical female behavior, that Megan tries to be too feminine. I think that the writers have tried very hard to tell the story of a man’s man trying to be a feminine woman. They are not transgendered, the writers, but they take advice in developing Megan as a character. I think Megan presses too hard sometimes, but as the series has worn on she has found her place.

JT: She is a realistic transwoman.

TJA: I think so. I hope so. But there are some who think that Megan is just too pretty.

JT: Well you are.

TJA: Well thank you Joe.

JT: I mean you do make a very attractive woman. That must have been a prerequisite when casting.

TJA: They were looking for somebody who could pass as a woman, and the screen tests covered both Mike and Megan. They had even indicated that they would be comfortable with a “trans actor”. That sounds odd doesn’t it? Transactor.

JT: If that person had got the role it could have been permanent. But for you, one day you will be back to the old you. Back in pants. Are you looking forward to that?

TJA: To be honest, not so much. I am really enjoying being Megan, and being the actress who plays her. I love to act, and I get two roles and if you like, twice the stage time. I am happy with that.

JT: So, you are acting now?

TJA: It doesn’t feel that way, but this is a character. I find that when I’m dressed like this I behave in a certain way. It is not Megan. It’s a female me. Somehow a more relaxed me. There is something pleasant about wearing a dress like this. Even the bra is something I have got used to.

JT: So, I am hearing that you feel totally comfortable with the clothing, but what about the feminine thing. Many guys would have a problem with it even for one night at a vice versa party, but with all the appearances you do, like this one, and dining out. Seriously you must be close to 24/7 as a woman.

TJA. Every woman can let her hair down sometime. I have my glad-rags. You just won’t catch me wearing them in public. Not at the moment anyway. It’s in my contract.

JT: So, the producers have tied into appearing in public while the series continues?

TJA: That’s right. I guess that they think that they want people to see Megan as female, so having the guy who plays Megan walking around the talk show circuit sort of ruins that image. I am not sure that I agree with it, but as I say, its in the contract, so …

JT: That could be hard. Can I ask if you are in a relationship at the moment?

TJA: You can ask.

JT: I will take that as a no comment.

TJA: Thank you.

JT: I want to talk about the rape story a few weeks ago. That was a harrowing show.

TJA: It was. And there were so many issues. Firstly, could Megan be the female officer called for in a rape situation? Clearly one of the victim’s friends didn’t think so and that was what led to that memorable exchange. But as Megan points out, she can never be a rapist now, and has become a potential victim. It gives her some understanding, but it can never be the same as the fear a woman has known for a good part of her life. Mike was never afraid. It was only with that confrontation with the rapist that Megan began to understand her new reality. It is a big issue. I thought we did a great job. I mean the scriptwriters and the cast.

JT: I think you did too. Another episode that bought in comments was the sissy prostitute thing. That was an eye opener.

TJA: I know the episode, but we should not call it “the sissy prostitute thing”. Again, we had the licence to address this as fiction, but there were effective re-enactments of known sex offences there. Again, it allowed Megan to contrast the difference between effeminate gay men and transwomen. But it was really about the exploitation of youth. These are serious issues.

JT: My favorite episode was the one with the car chase. So funny seeing the woman at the wheel and her male passenger holding on for dear life.

TJA: Joe, that is a very sexist comment. But the issue here is about Megan losing herself. There was a lot of Mike in Megan that day. That was why she just wanted to femme out at the end.

JM: I am not sure what that means.

TJA: When Megan wants to reaffirm her femininity, she goes to the hairdresser. I am beginning to understand it.

JT: Wow. You understand why a woman needs to go to the salon.

TJA: I am learning a lot. It’s a learning experience, this role.

JT: But that’s a wig you have on tonight?

TJA: Well … not entirely. I have to say that there have been a lot of wigs, but it is very hard to wear one all day every day. So tonight I am wearing a hairpiece and this is my real hair, across here and the sides here, and the nape of my neck.

JM: Seriously? So you are a natural redhead.

TJA: Actually, I am. Not quite this color. But just like Mike and Megan, I have Irish heritage, on my mother’s side.

JT: Seriously, I had no idea you had grown your hair for the role.

TJA: It’s not that long. Just long enough to work with some hairpieces and extensions.

JT: On the subject of your Irish mother, how does she feel about this … new look?

TJA: Both of my parents love the show. My sister loves it too. My father is a little worried that I might be typecast as a transvestite, as he puts it. Maybe he thinks a little too much of the character is rubbing off on me. When I turned up at home dressed like this, he got a bit of a shock.

JT: Wait a minute, you turned up at your parent’s house dressed as a woman?

TJA: Well yes, but there is a story behind that. You know Matt Garnham? He is one of the producers on the show. He and I were coming back from an interview, just like this, but a Sunday morning show. So, we stopped to check out some locations quite near my parent’s house and I decided we should drop in. The look on my father’s face was priceless, I tell you. He was gaping all the way through Sunday lunch.

JT: So Matt Garnham is going to be escorting you to the awards ceremony next week?

TJA: You seem very well-informed Joe.

JT: Confirmed?

TJA: Well, as a nominee I will be going, and we have a dress already, so…

JT: So, you’ll be going as a woman, with a man as your date.

TJA: Well, as my escort. Yes, I will be sticking to the contract. He will insist on it [laughs].

JT: The show has done very well and has picked up a few nominations. Does that put the pressure on for next season?

TJA: There is little pressure on the cast. We believe in our producers, directors and writers. If they continue to bring these scripts to us, well, that’s half the job done. I think we feel that next season will be great, just based on the sketch outlines that we have.

JT: And you will come back to see us after next season, to tell about it?

TJA: If you have me, I’ll be here.

JT: We will. Thank you.

TJA: Thank you Joe.

APPLAUSE

Ends

Season 4 Episode 2

Joe: Welcome, welcome. I am Joe Tanner and this is “Tonight with Tanner”. And returning tonight is the star of “Crossover”, TJ Albright. Welcome back TJ.

TJ: Thank you Joe. It’s good to be back.

Joe: And you look spectacular tonight.

TJ: Well thank you Joe. I do put the effort in whenever I am on your show.

Joe: And with you tonight, are you two co-stars in “Crossover” - Jim Gainsford, who plays Dylan Clay, and Jason Sale who plays Detective John Cable. Welcome to the show gentlemen.

Jim: Thanks Joe.

Jason: Great to be here

Joe: So, I have to say to you guys, that this has got to be interesting, working with an actress, who is actually an actor. I didn’t mean this to be the first question I asked, but well, TJ does look incredible. Like, so not a guy.

Jason: You’re right. It can be confusing.

Joe: But Jim, as I understand it, you have never actually met TJ as a man, right?

Jim: Yeah, that’s right. She turned up to my first shooting day looking like this. Well, not quite like this, but in female clothing, with the hair and all. Yeah, its’s true, I haven’t seen TJ dressed like a guy. I’ve seen some footage and stills, like, of the pre-Megan scenes. But not in the flesh, no. It is kind of weird.

Joe: But you Jason, you were in those scenes? Those scenes with Mike rather than Megan?

Jason: Yes. I knew TJ before this role. We met around various screen tests, and we actually went for auditions at the same time.

Joe: Were you going for the same role?

Jason: Hell no. I couldn’t do it. Not that I would not be ready to explore a role like that, but let’s face it, I would make an ugly chick.

TJ: I’ll second that.

Joe: So, you have witnessed the change, Jason. I mean from TJ as a man to now, well basically 24/7 dressed like … like this.

Jason: Just like my character. He, John, meets a guy through work. They become pals. Then she reappears as a woman. I feel that I can understand him - my character. He is still having problems coming to grips with it. It sort of mirrors real life for me, just a bit.

Joe: And your character is falling for her. You can understand that too?

Jason: Look at her. What does your audience think?

APPLAUSE

TJ: You are a sweetheart, Jase.

Joe: I have just realized that both of you are referring to TJ as ‘she’. Is this deliberate? Jim?

Jim: It’s like I said. I only know the her. You don’t mind do you, T?

TJ: To be honest I like it that way. But thanks for asking, Jim. To me, it is like recognition of a successful transition. A compliment on my ability to portray this character. I prefer to be referred to as “she” when I am dressed as a woman. It’s a compliment.

Joe: But we talked about this last time, TJ. Its like you cannot take off the costume because of the contract you’ve got – right? So, you are still a she, even off set.

TJ: Well, I’m not the character off set. In fact, not even on set unless the camera is rolling. I am me now. You’re not talking to Megan. This is me … but presenting as a woman.

Joe: And a very convincing one. But it is because of the contract, right?

TJ: Sure. As I said before, the producer wants to suspend disbelief when we talk about the men on the show being attracted to Megan. It’s not like they can’t do it, Jason and Jim are professionals. But it’s the audience that need to believe it. To believe that Megan has truly become a woman, that is. The producers think that the best thing for the show is that we don’t sort of … break the spell. Having the actor who plays Megan turn up to shows like yours looking like a regular guy … it’s not what they want. I have to be accepted by the viewers of the show, as a credible love interest for these guys.

Joe: In the show, your character is falling for her too, Jim. Who will get the girl?

Jim: I don’t think either character really wants to fall for Megan. Partly the trans thing, but maybe also the workplace thing. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But yeah, we are fighting off some strong feelings.

Jason: I think that this kind of love triangle makes for a really good sub-plot for what is, after all, a cop show, and a good one. The trans element makes the triangle that little bit special.

Joe: So how does the audience react to this? Are you getting fan mail urging you, either of you, to make your move?

Jason: There are some out there who are saying: “Hey, this is a guy, so if you fall for her that makes you gay”. I don’t think that there would be anything wrong in my character learning that he is gay, but I don’t think he is. TJ is right, so long as the audience views Megan as being truly female, I don’t think John Cable is gay at all.

TJ: Definitely not.

Jason: We are hearing that message less and less, and that is down to Megan, or TJ’s portrayal of her. She is so clearly a woman that, sure, I’m getting told by some fans to make an honest woman of her.

Jim: I am getting a bit of “humiliate the white boy” mail. I didn’t even know that was a thing, but apparently there are a whole lot of white sissies out there who want to be dominated by black guys. And I am not intending to use the word “sissy” In a … a derogatory way. I am just saying. It is a thing … apparently. I think that they are suggesting a purely sexual liaison between Dylan and Megan. But that is not what their relationship is. He admires her professionally. He is attracted to her physically, despite all the concerns about these not being “straight” thoughts. He cares for her. It would not be just a sexual thing. Well, that’s what I think anyways.

Joe: But now that Megan is back up to detective, they are not together on the job?

Jim: That is what makes it more personal. Dylan is seeking her out. Add to that, now she is out of uniform, I think that she is so much more attractive to him. A police uniform does not show off the assets that are on display tonight. As a detective she gets to dress, more feminine.

TJ: Thanks Jim. I try my best.

Jason: Now it’s my character, John Cable, who is with her every day. He is now Megan’s partner as he was Mike’s. So, he is learning all about this person that she has become. He thought he knew Mike, but it turns out that he could not really have known him at all. Mike carried this secret. Now he is finding out things about his new female partner. But, Mike is still in there. And they share memories of what they did together, as two guys. As two tough cops. Now she is something else.

Joe: There are still plenty of awkward moments.

Jason: It is those awkward moments that make this show. Like the follow up murder case a few weeks back. John remembered how Mike had handled it then, but this time round there was a whole new approach. One that worked. So he is learning a new way of doing things.

TJ: Last time I was on your show I talked about how Megan has a completely different approach towards policing than Mike did. It is less confrontational. It’s a kinder and gentler approach if you like. I think it is just the feminine side coming out, but she is showing her old friend, just how effective it can be.

Jason: It’s another dynamic. There is complexity in this show. The awards we have won recognize that. And it’s challenging as an actor. I am really enjoying this role. I enjoy working with TJ.

TJ: I enjoy working with you, too.

Jim: We have a good crew on this show.

Joe: There have been less of the transgender themed crimes this season, right? Any reason for that?

TJ: It’s like I told you: This is a cop show. What takes it out of the ordinary is not just the subplot about the transgendered police officer and her social interactions, but the way that her attitude to her work has been adjusted by her new gender. She has changed. Policing is changing.

Jason: The trans thing does not have to be upfront to be a theme. But we have had fewer episodes focus on key issues for trans-people. We did have that two part show about the tranny killer.

TJ: Jase, I’m always telling you not to use the word “tranny”.

Jason: Right. That was how John referred to him.

Joe: Jason, do you think you have a better understanding of transgender issues now?

Jason: Sure. “Transgender” not “tranny”. Right TJ? I mean I suppose that there is something a bit funny about a hulking great guy in a dress, but when you understand how these people have suffered in the body they were born in, it is more sad that amusing. And it takes strength to out yourself out there, especially if you might have trouble passing as a woman. I think that TJ, or rather Megan, is lucky to be so … so attractive.

TJ: What you have to remember is that transwomen dies violent deaths in this country all the time. A serial killer targeting transwomen was great suspense, but it should not take away from the fact that these women face real risks. It’s terrifying for them … and very sad.

Joe: What about you, Jim? Any thought on this?

Jim: Well, sometimes I think that transwomen expect too much from guys like me. They just expect us to, just accept things no matter how strange they might be. Like, they seem to try harder than regular women to be attractive to men, but then they … well, they can’t deliver. Like it’s very … it could be really very frustrating … I guess, for guys who might be attracted to … girls who look like TJ.

Joe: So you now know a lot more?

Jim: Sure, when you meet, like real transgenders like the consultants to the show, well sure. I understand it, even if I still might be a bit uncomfortable, you know?

Joe: And we did have the chance to see a bit more of Megan’s backstory, using those flashback scenes you told us about last time.

TJ: Sure. That was a challenge. You know, the scene with Gemma Haspeth, playing my wife, or Mike’s wife, was filmed ages ago. It was one of the last scenes that I filmed before I started dressing femme off set. So the director kept me away from Gemma so he could capture her reaction when she saw me again – the man who had been her husband now so completely transformed. I mean she had seen me on TV, but she was barely prepared for seeing me on set, in the flesh, and working with me face to face. She was genuinely shocked by the transformation, and that was what the director was looking for. There was a lot of adlib in that scene. Gemma is a method actor so she went with it. It was a great scene.

Joe: Yes. That was a great episode. And we had a chance to see that footage of telling your parents as well.

TJ: That was tough.

Joe: But you filmed that over a year ago?

TJ: Right. Of course. Yes. I mean, Megan’s family have been accepting of her. That is great. It’s not like that for everybody. Some have to face rejection by those they love …

Jim: Hey T, are you OK.

TJ: Thanks Jim. I’m fine. Just a little teary. It’s the hormones I guess.

Joe: Hormones?

TJ: Sure. It’s part of my health and beauty routine. Nothing too drastic. A prescription to keep me soft and pretty [laughs]

Joe: Wow. That sounds like a big step.

TJ: Everything is reversible. Actors make sacrifices for their work.

Joe: Well, I am no expert, but hormones make can make some drastic changes to your body, right?

TJ: Nothing so obvious given the way I am dressing at the moment, but yes, physical changes, and maybe even some mental ones too.

Joe: Mental?

TJ: To be honest Joe, I only really took my first shot because I wanted to see how it felt for people in my position. I was talking to one of our transgender consultants about it, and she said that even if hormones produce no physical changes straight away, that can change the way you feel. I guess that I wanted to see what she was talking about.

Joe: So what happened?

TJ: So, it does affect you, that’s all I can say.

Joe: And physical changes?

TJ: It’s like I said. It is good for the skin, and keeps the beard away, which is very useful. And its good for the hair. This is all my own hair this time. I still had a wiglet or something on last time, I think.

Joe: Any negative side effects?

TJ: It does knock your sex drive, or so they say. But to be honest I don’t have a girlfriend, so that’s no big deal.

Joe: I suppose that the requirements of your contract are playing hell with your love-life?

Jason: We all know that this is tough for TJ. She has to take this character home, or a big part of it. Jim and I can leave our roles on set.

TJ: It’s not all bad, living like I do.

Jim: You’re not alone.

TJ: Thanks guys.

Joe: So what does the coming season hold for us.

TJ: Well, we still have to see who gets the girl.

Joe: Jim, will it be you?

Jim: I wish. I mean, certainly Dylan desires TJ, I mean Megan. In a real way … not just lust. That’s what I think.

Joe: Or you, Jason?

Jason: I think John has well and truly put aside that this woman was once a man. I think that he has accepted that the man he knew as Mike was never a man at all. That this is the person that she has always been, sitting right here on this couch. A woman.

TJ: Are you talking about me or Megan, Jase?

Jason: Well … Megan, of course.

Joe: Wow. So that sets the scene. You both want her. It is going to be interesting, that’s for sure.

TJ: Be sure to watch the finale.

Joe: Thanks to all of you for coming in.

Jason: Thank you.

TJ: Thank you Joe.

APPLAUSE

Ends


Season 5 Episode 3

Joe: Hello, hello, and good evening. Welcome to “Tonight with Tanner”. I am Joe Tanner and tonight my guest is veteran actor, Gerry Dunford. Welcome Gerry.

Gerry: Thank you for inviting me on, Joe. Great to be here.

Joe: Now I know that you want to talk about your upcoming movie, and we will, but first I think we have to talk a little about the hit show “Crossover”, which you will be leaving at the end of this season.

Gerry: Well, Ok. For a little bit. Sure.

Joe: I suppose that you are sort of, the senior actor in the cast of that show, with you experience as a screen as well as many TV shows?

Gerry: Well, it’s was a green cast at the beginning, but nobody can argue about the quality of the acting.

Joe: You have to respect the way that actors like Jim Gainsford and Jason Sale have come through.

Gerry: And TJ of course.

Joe: She’s incredible, right?

Gerry: She … yes. She is.

Joe: I suppose you come from a different tradition. The golden age of Hollywood when men were men and all that. Women were played by actresses, right.

Gerry: Well, I can’t see TJ as anything other than an actress.

Joe: Of course, in the show you play the officer in charge of the precinct, so sort of a father figure to Megan, the transgender detective.

Gerry: Maybe a little more complicated than that recently. To be honest, I was feeling a little uncomfortable with where the story line was going. Not that this has anything to do with my reasons for leaving the show at the end of the season, but … just uncomfortable.

Joe: Well there is a developing love triangle, with possible gay overtones.

Gerry: I don’t know what you are saying Joe. There is no gay character in the show. TJ is a woman. I mean Megan is a woman. Transgender does not mean gay. I mean you have interviewed other cast members on this show. Right.

Joe: Right. Yes. We’ve had TJ ad and Jason and Jim on the show.

Gerry: Well you wanted to talk about it, I didn’t.

Joe: Sure we can talk about the film, but it does look like there is some conflict between cast members that might be behind your departure.

Gerry: No conflict. There is respect. TJ is an incredible actor. She is 100% into this role. I think that it is no secret that she lives the role 24/7. That must be hard on her. And it’s hard for the cast around her too. Maybe that is the problem? The producer has asked TJ to become female, and she has done it. I mean, total success. And the guys around her, we think of her as female. Jim and Jason and me too. It is confusing. It’s the producers call. Who am I to say whether it is right or wrong? It can be unsettling for other cast members, that is all I am saying.

Joe: And there is a rumor of some on-set romance?

Gerry: Are you taking about me?

Joe: I wasn’t, but what is going on. Jason and jim have both had steamy scenes with TJ.

Gerry: You know what acting is? Right, Joe?

Joe: I didn’t …

Gerry: I will tell you this. I don’t think there is a man on set who does not find Megan McCann attractive, if not sexy. I man no just the cast, but the crew too, and our producer, whose tongue seems to be hanging out half the time. Even the two gay guys in the crew lust after her. It is testament to great acting by TJ.

Joe: But not you?

Gerry: I said everybody. But sure, a father figure.

Joe: You feel protective of TJ?

Gerry: She is so deep in the role that I worry about her, sure. Like I say. It’s the producer’s call. I have probably said too much. But what the hell. We wrapped up this week.

Joe: I suppose that you will miss being a part of this show?

Gerry: I’m sorry Gerry. I can’t continue. I am going to have to end this interview. Thank you.

[microphone disconnects]

Joe: Ladies and Gentlemen. That was veteran actor Gerry Dunford. We did not even get a chance to talk about that new movie. When we come back I will introduce our next guest.

Ends

Season 5 Episode 7

APPLAUSE

Joe: Welcome back everybody. Still with me are two of my favorite guests: TV Critic Tom Wessler, and celebrity columnist Liz Yarrow. Well guys, enough of the new releases, what about “Crossover”? Did you see my interview with Gerry Dunford last week? What is going on?

Liz: He looked lovesick to me. Maybe some on set romance?

Joe: You’re kidding. Gerry Dunford falling for his leading lady? Who is not really a lady at all?

Tom: Well I have to say it, TJ Albright must be one of the sexiest women on TV at the moment, regardless of what is below the belt.

Liz: I can’t believe that you have turned gay, Tom, of all people.

Tom: I can tell you that when this all started, I thought that the producers … that this whole “never be seen in public dressed as a man” thing was kind of weird … even a bit creepy, but now I understand how it works. Megan McCann is a woman, and everybody on the show sees that now. The audience accepts it only while TJ Albright appears to be a woman. Nobody wants the spell to be broken.

Liz: There is no doubt that the character appeals to all kinds of people, whether at an erotic level or not. Some men desire her, including Tom here by the sound of it, but women too. Women wonder about what exactly is going on with TJ. Maybe he is the kind of guy that a woman could relate to. A gal pal standing up, but a guy when you are lying down. She could be the best of both, for a certain kind of woman.

Tom: I’m not the only one who thinks she is sexy.

Joe: Gay people too, I suppose?

Tom: Who knows? The fact is that there is something about the character that is sensual, and that has rubbed off on the actor. Because, well, because the producers have required that TJ be the same kind of person off set. Not Megan, but a visually stunning transwoman. Confusing maybe, but sexy.

Liz: All credit to TJ for pulling it off. On screen and off.

Tom: As a newcomer, she has certainly proved to be a revelation.

Joe: It’s a surprisingly popular show given the transgender themes. And the acting is winning plaudits. But Liz, what is going on, on the “Crossover” set? You know about these things. You have your ear to the ground. Tell us.

Liz: Well, I am hearing that both Jason Sale who plays Detective John Cable, and Jim Gainsford, who plays Officer Dylan Clay, might be a little too close to their roles. Both of their characters are in love with Megan McCann on the show, and, well, at least a crush in real life might have resulted.

Joe: Both of them?

Liz: Maybe Gerry Dunford too, after your show last week.

Tom: And the producer Matt Garnham too. He has been taking her out to award shows and stuff like that, as the female off-screen TJ. They spend time together.

Liz: She has been seen dining with both Jason and Jim, separately of course. And she has visited Gerry at home, following Gerry recent third divorce.

Joe: Jim Gainsford is married, right?

Liz: I am not saying that this is love. Maybe it is what Tom is talking about. A fascination. The sexy fantasy of being with a man’s version of a woman. Like an ideal woman created by a man. I don’t think that I am being unfair to trans people by saying that, because TJ is not trans. So, Megan really is the creation of a man.

Tom: Maybe TJ really is trans? Had you thought of that? She is on hormones for God’s sake. You don’t go as far as she has gone without some inclination in that direction.

Liz: She’s acting Tom. You are the critic. That’s acting. Good acting.

Tom: I’m just putting it out there. I don’t know enough about this kind of thing.

Joe: So Liz, getting back to Jason, Jason Sale: His character John Cable seems to be the audience pick for the one most likely to end up with Megan. Are you saying that he has a real-life interest in TJ Albright, transwoman or not?

Tom: Hang on, what makes you think that she is going to end up with John? It could be Dylan, or there could be another love interest brought in. I think that the audience may have a problem with the fact that John knew Megan as a man. That is a bit weird.

Liz: And Jason first met TJ as a male actor too. But why is that weird.

Tom: I think that it is one thing to meet a woman and fall for her, and then discover that she was a man once – I can understand how you can choose to accept her after getting the shocking news, if you are already in love, but …

Liz: But why is it any different if you meet her and know who she once was? Megan is a totally different person. Nothing like Mike.

Tom: But we are talking about TJ. Aren’t we?

Joe: I am getting confused. But I should tell you that Jason came on this show a few months ago and said that John has well and truly put to bed any notion that Megan was once a man. Maybe Jason has been able to do the same thing with TJ?

Liz: Maybe.

Joe: So, what about Matt Garnham. He is the guy who guy who more or less discovered TJ Albright, right? I mean he set the rules about never dropping the mask, right? So if he has feelings that would seem super weird, I mean, more weird than Jason.

Liz: I think it is what Tom said. She presents as sexy and exotic when she is female. That is very different from the young man cast for the role a couple of years ago. We have all forgotten that person. They have used up the old footage they kept for flashbacks. So the future is female for Megan.

Tom: It always was, but the question is, for TJ Albright is the future female?

Joe: With that question hanging out there, this seems as good a place as any to call it quits for tonight. Thank you to you both, and to the audience and all of our viewers. Until the next “Tonight with Tanner”, good night to you all.

APPLAUSE

Ends

Season 6 Episode 2

Joe: Welcome everybody. Welcome to “Tonight with Tanner”. I am Joe Tanner and we welcome back … TJ Albright.

TJ: Thanks Joe. Good to be with you again, on my favorite talk show.

Joe: And with you tonight, the producer of “Crossover” Matt Garnham. Welcome to the show Matt.

Matt: Great to be here, thanks Joe.

Joe: And yet again, you pull out all the stops, TJ. You look fabulous. And can I say, that … your … décolletage looks very convincing.

TJ: It’s supposed to be, Joe.

Joe: Another successful season for Crossover almost over. Last show this coming Saturday, right?

Matt: That’s right. Yes. Prime time at last, and yes, Season 3 finale Saturday.

Joe: And Season 4? What’s happening?

Matt: Sure. That’s in planning. We are still in the hands of the network, but we have fans across the board and I hope the critical success that we have had accounts for something.

Joe: And TJ, for you that would mean another year dressed as a woman?

TJ: That is no longer an issue for me, Joe.

Joe: So, I have to ask you Matt, I think you were behind the contract clause, right? The clause that keep TJ in skirts on and off screen? So I have to ask: Why? It’s a big demand on an actor.

Matt: I think that it may have been hard for TJ at the beginning, but we felt that we needed to preserve her beauty, even off-screen, to keep the character real. It worked out good for the show, and for TJ and I personally, it has worked out well too.

Joe: Personally?

TJ: I want to talk about the show, Joe. I am sure that your audience is going to want to know what the future holds for Megan and John.

Joe: Can you tell us? Either of you?

TJ: Well, no spoilers are allowed, but Jason has signed on for Season 4, and Jim has made public that he won’t be signing on.

Joe: You must be sad to lose the Dylan Clay character.

Matt: It was his choice. I think that I can say that Jim has found the role more emotionally sapping recently. People might think that a big guy like him can’t get affected by some of the emotional conflicts, but … well, we understand his decision, so he will bow out in the finale. There is no secret there.

Joe: You will kill him off on Saturday?

Matt: Now, that is a secret.

Joe: I understand that Jim has recently been seen possibly dating transgender model, Bianca Castifiore. Any comment on that?

TJ: His personal life is his own. I will say that I think that Jim now understand that transwomen are women. I think that I can say, that was a struggle for him, but he knows it now.

Joe: I suppose the other development is that there is another trans character that has emerged this season, and that is a real surprise.

Matt: Yes. That was a surprise. But when our veteran actor Gerry Dunford came out as trans, we felt that we had the opportunity to build a new storyline around her transition … to Gemma.

TJ: Her’s is a story that that has affected a lot of people. We have a masculine actor who has spent a life in film and television, living a role in real life. Pretending to be a man when she was a woman inside all along. I think that “Crossover” gave her the courage to transition, and I think that it has done the same for a large number of transgendered folk. They see my transition, with all the pitfalls but all the love, and they say; ‘I can do that’. And they can.

Joe: But harder for somebody of his … I mean, her, age?

TJ: She could not ask for a more supportive environment. She could have transitioned away from the cameras but she will do it on screen with all us behind her. I think that it will be a beautiful thing. A second transition, and it is all down to the show. It’s because of “Crossover”.

Joe: A second transition?

TJ: I am the first, Joe. I suppose you show is as good as any place to come forward with the news. I am a woman now. Not just Megan, but me. You’ll see it in my underwear scene on Saturday. I am guessing that a lot of people already knew. It turns out that I am just like the character that I play, although I never knew it, I am transgender.

Joe: Wow! I didn’t know. How could this happen?

TJ: Looking back on it, I suppose that since I was little, I always wanted to be an actor because I was always playing a part. My life before now was just me pretending to be somebody else, while I never knew who the real me was. Then I walked off stage as Megan for the first time and I was me. I was me for the first time. Not the male TJ but the female TJ. I was myself. I was comfortable for the first time.

Joe: Wow.

TJ: I am not sure what would have happened if I had not found myself, But I am glad that I have.

Joe: Si when did you decide that you were not going back, so to speak.

TJ: I suppose … when I fell in love.

Matt: Well Joe, on her last appearance on your show, TJ said that if she changed direction yours would be the first show to know, so I’m going to put her on the spot …

TJ: Oh my God, Matt!

[Audience cheers]

Matt: TJ Albright, will you be my wife?

TJ: Yes, yes, a million times yes.

[Audience applause]

Joe: Wow. You saw it on “Tonight with Tanner”. But this means … don’t we have an obstruction to any possible marriage?

TJ: Oh Joe. If you mean an anatomical obstruction, then I got rid of that at the end of Season Two. In fact quite soon after I was on your show last time.

Joe: So … that bust of your is real?

TJ: Totally. And so is my fiancé.

Matt: You’ve made me the happiest man in the world, my darling. I promise that I will be the best husband a man could be.

TJ: I don’t doubt it for a minute.

Joe: So, just to clarify here: You have had surgery? Like you are a complete woman? And you have been for a year?

TJ: When I was last on your show I had already decided to transition. I had told my parents only the day before your show. That is why I was a bit upset, because my father was not supportive. He is now, but when you mentioned the scene when Megan came out to her parents, I teared up a little. Look at me now. I am always crying on your show. Thank God for waterproof mascara!

Joe: So your parents … so your family know, but this has not got out to the public.

TJ: Another scoop for you Joe.

Joe: And everyone is OK with it?

Matt: I actually asked your father, Darling. The old-fashioned way. You will love what he said. He told me that he was worried about losing a son, but he was happy to have a son-in-law instead.

TJ: Oh, Honey. That is so sweet. I think that you are more his kind of guy than I ever was.

Joe: So, the wedding? When?

Matt: Hey, Joe. She’s only just said yes. It’s over to her now.

TJ: I’m warning you Honey. I will want the works. A bridal gown with a mile long train. 20 bridesmaids. This production could be your biggest yet.

Matt: Whatever you want. Darling.

Joe: What a special night, ladies and gentlemen. It is times like this that every talk show host dreams about. An interesting discussion on real issues, a shocking revelation, followed by romance and a very happy ending. Remember to tune in again, to “Tonight with Tanner”.

APPLAUSE

Ends

© Maryanne Peters 2019

Author’s Note:
In comments on my recent story "Rescued" my pal Sigh reminded me a series (only one of two) that I did on Fictionmania, This is a full compilation of those episodes.
I started this story by writing a script for three episodes of a TV show called “Crossover” with a transwoman detective faced with some of the crime scenes and issues outlined in these “transcripts” but I know nothing about script writing and I was finding it too difficult. It struck me that the story was really about method acting and how the cast related to TJ becoming immersed in the character. But I still wanted it to be TV, so the talkshow thing. Unfortunately this device is very limiting as there is little scope for description. What I am trying to do is hint at the fascination and confusion in just dialog.
I still think that “Crossover” would make good TV in the hands of somebody who knows how to write this stuff.
Maryanne

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fiction V Life

BarbieLee's picture

Maryanne, like many authors on BCTS you're not that far off the script. I do a lot of watching youtube transgender news and those who put on their own youtube video and of course talk and opinions. Search for U.S. news stories about trans. World news about trans gets to be too much of an overload so I don't search that except for the ones that drop in my lap with other research.
If you remember all the bru ha ha about trans and bathrooms and such a year or two back maybe this one will tickle your funny bone. Personally I try and keep my distance from any trans as I know they are all aliens dropped on earth to contaminate and destroy the human race. They are highly contagious you know. And they can suck your mind dry of intelligent thought by just looking or thinking of them. Don't believe that last sentence? Watch the clip. All intelligence is gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmoAX9f6MOc
Oh yeah, loved your "transcript" of an interview.
hugs hon
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it.
PS: years back I was invited to go on the Dr. Phil show to talk about transgendered. Explained there are a lot of beautiful girls out there who would do a lot better and I don't think that fast on my feet. Ask me a question and I will give what may pass for an intelligent answer..., tomorrow. Let's not count the times the next day I regretted I said anything. I gave them a list of names.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Challenges

I hope everybody picked up that three of the cast members basically fell for the new TJ, despite suppressing or denying in the interviews.
Perhaps it would have been easier to narrate: "He was smitten by TJ but said:...".
It just started this way and I was determined to see it through.
As people might no, I am always searching for new ways to tell a story.
Maryanne

Interesting and different

Nice bit of confusion between real life and acting. Loved the gradual workup to the ending I pretty much saw coming.

well handled

You handled the difficulties of the format well.

An actual series ould depend on the writing and a sexy but believable lead.

A Believable Lead

I think that is why the producers wanted TJ not to present in public dressed as a man and that was written into the contract.
The idea is that the public will not accept the character as genuinely female if the man playing her walks out of the dressing room after a day on set. That is what brings about the change in TJ's life.
As for the script, there are a few hints of the plots I was pursuing, like tranny bashing and the ability of a transwoman to relate to a victim of rape, plus the general conflict between manly policing and the approach adopted by female police officers.
Maryanne

Talk Show

Lucy Perkins's picture

This was a really engaging piece, Maryanne, despite ( or possibly even because of ) the script format. I loved the unsaid subtleties, and personally found the crassness of the Host just perfect..Matt had just proposed live on air, the scoop of the millennium, and he was wittering on about TJ s surgery...but that is so typical of society.
If I choose to tell people what's ( not) in my underwear, that's fine, ( I've got nothing to hide) but I am a woman irrespective of that..
A really really engaging story.
Thank you Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

The 'format' of this piece

is nothing out of the ordinary. It is SOP for scripts and other pieces that are almost 100% dialogue.
There can be no confusion as to who said what...

Well done for sticking to it. It is hard to do especially when it is so easy to slip into 'normal' mode for things like setting and backstory.

Bravo.
Samantha

Cool gimmick

This was a nice way to tell a story - by having the characters comment on the show they'd been seeing but we hadn't, it was a weird amalgam of showing and telling.

Ah, finally!

One of my very favorite MP tales (quite possibly my most fave) finally posted on BC, and updated and combined into one full short story! Thank you thank you thank you!

Hugz! - **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

CONGRATULATIONS on your first RP book!

I've been following RP since 1996 and this is the first time i 'woohoo'ed when I saw a particular author's name in print!

Hope you write for'em on a regular basis. Congrats again, Maryanne :)

RP Book

Really?! Nobody told me!
Maryanne

Reluctant Press

Yes, that is me.
5 short stories I sent in ages ago.
Just written to them.
Maryanne

Well congrats then :)

And if you keep writing for'em, i'll keep on buying!

What's the best way to reach you if you wouldnt mind talking to a budding tg fiction author?

Great concept

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I thought the talk-show format really worked well, and the different shows spread over time let us see how everyone’s attitudes were slowly shifting. And, it allowed you to explore a lot of interesting and difficult topics. Excellent!

Emma