Off the Front Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Marley and her friends had staked out a regular spot in the student center and met there like clockwork every Thursday between classes. It was a secluded corner on the third floor with comfy couches near a piano that would often be played by students. "So can I talk you guys into coming to ride with me tonight," Marley asked, speaking slightly loud over the music student playing piano.

"Let me check my social calendar, nope," Tink replied and took a drink from her big plastic disposable coffee. Marley chuckled, but wished her friend would change her mind. Tink, was big, about 6 feet tall and overweight, she claimed to like being overweight because she felt she was more passable with her "baby fat." The truth was that Marley found her quite pretty, her long dark brown hair was always smooth and gleaming, her makeup just right, and her seemingly never ending supply of cute dresses. Marley met her Freshman year at the LGBT center and they quickly became best friends.

"I'll go, if you loan me a bike." said Jordan. Jordan was new to their group, a Freshman and feeling very out of place and alone. She was the definition of androgyny. She fit exactly down the center, seemingly in all aspects, not exactly short, but not tall either, her skin was not quite white, but not quite black, her hair not short, not long, her button up shirt and pants were those of a man. A couple weeks ago she saw Tink and Marley talking and asked if she could sit with them. She asked to be referred to as a she, but both Marley and Tink believed that she was harboring a mistrust of her biological gender.

"Really that's awesome," Marley replied.

"Well have fun girls, I'm off to see the wizard," Tink said as she lifted herself off the couch.

"What does that mean?" Jordan asked.

"I'm going to the bathroom, you know to whiz, then I've got a class, see you," Tink said as she adjusted her big purple cateye framed glasses and projected her bright smile.

"I'm worried about her," Marley said once Tink was gone.

"Why she seems fine," Jordan asked.

"She's put on 15 pounds at least since last year, which is fine, but I know her, she's a stress eater, she's like really good at acting happy. Anyway I'm glad you're going, I'll get you set up on a loaner bike if you can come by the shop a bit before the ride" Marley said.

"Yeah, sounds great, but I don’t know if I’ll be any good, I haven’t rode a bike in a long time,” Jordan said.
“You’ve got nothing to worry about, it’s always a no drop ride,” Marley said.

“No drop ride?”

“Yeah like if you can’t keep up that’s called being dropped, so on this ride no one gets left behind,” Marley explained and Jordan nodded in understanding.

“So why don’t you and Tink don’t go to the LGBT center anymore?” Jordan asked.

“I don’t know, I’m busy with school, working and riding, and it’s really not my thing I guess,” Marley answered.

“But you’re still...” Jordan stuttered.

“Transgender?” Marley asked and Jordan nodded in embarrassment. Marley chuckled, a couple years ago that question and answer would have left her so insecure, but now she looked down at herself. She was wearing pink and purple girls trainers, jean shorts that revealed her long smooth legs, and a loose fitting casual shirt. She only wore a tiny bit of makeup, a little mascara, a little foundation, a dash of eye shadow, her long hair was pulled up in a high pony tail. Most importantly two years on HRT had changed her skin and caused her to grow some small but clear breasts. She had no doubt who she was now. “Would you mistake me for a boy?” Marley asked with a laugh.

“No of course not,” Jordan said.

“It’s very political, the people there… They are always aggrieved, always so pissed off, it’s like just go live your life, you know. That's why I stopped going last year,” Marley explained. Jordan looked off into space. “Hey you know, it’s not all like that, there are lots of good people and they really listen if you want to talk and you know you can always talk to me if you want.”

“Thanks Mar,” Jordan said and checked her digital watch, “Well time for class, I’ll see you tonight.”

***

"You are so going," Stacey said as Brita rolled over in bed and pulled the pillow over her face.

"Get up! I bought you that bike and you're going to ride it."

"Can't you get someone else to go?" Brita asked. Stacey grabbed Brita under the elbows and lifted her up off the bed. "Jesus, how did you get so strong?" Brita yelled.

"Cross fit, now come on I need you. When the others see how much fun we're having we'll have no problem getting them fired up for the team," Stacey said.

"Yeah, woo hoo, we're having so much fun. What do I even wear? I don't have any bike clothes," Brita said looking around the messy bedroom they shared at the Pi Beta Phi house. It was obvious neither girl was a neat freak.

"I don't have any bike clothes either, just put on some workout clothes," Stacey said.
Brita huffed and began digging through some stacks of clothes and found some capri tights, sports bra and a workout top and stomped to the bathroom. Through the half closed door she said, "Why are we going on this ride, we don't know what we're doing, anyway that bike shop girl kind of freaked me out."

"What do you mean freaked you out?"

"I don't know, something was off, plus she dressed like a weirdo." Brita said.

"You should hear yourself, you sound so stuck up, but you're right, we don't know what we're doing, that’s why we need to learn, hence we go to the ride and learn from Marley," Stacey explained.

"FIne," Brita said as she stepped through the door and pulled her hair into a ponytail, "lets go make fools of ourselves."

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Off the Front

I'm pretty sure the title of this story is "Off the Front," but I can't help but giggle and read it as "Off the Front Part."

Re: Off the Front

Jennifer, I know exactly what you mean about the title. In my case I see it as Off TO the Front. i.e. it seems to me that Marley is going to leave her comfortable spot safely in anonymity and be pushed into the front lines of having to declare love for another. I'm really enjoying the structure and quality of this story. Please give us more Sarah.

>>> Kay

Setting up

Podracer's picture

Another reader engaged here. I hope Brita actually gets to enjoy the ride!
The title at first made me thing of haircuts, as in "a bit more off the front please", which I shall keep as a request for the story too. ;)

"Reach for the sun."