4-20...

Printer-friendly version

4-20

Twilight... The last glimpses of the Sun's glow, the stars begin to shine, and what there is of the Moon, twinkles into being. A cool breeze toys with the few remaining leaves that survived the Winter's cold, drifting in swirling eddies of the gentle breeze. In the stillness of this moment, a few brave crickets chirruped, adding their claim to existence....

Absently, my fingers move, to tame a few unruly strands of my blatantly red locks; freeing then from the gloss on my lips and from being tangled in my eyelashes; tossing them to join their kin over my shoulder, midst a jumbled mass of curls reaching the small of my back.

At the behest of the breeze, the gossamer layers of silk laying free around my legs danced, brushing against the various layers of femininity encasing my form. Scant protection from the textures of the concrete bench upon which I sat.

The view from my perch, high up the side of Mount Charleston, looking out over the insane glitter of Las Vegas, breathtaking. The heat waves rising, adding to the flutter of a million lights... it could have been, should have been, wondrous.

But it wasn't.

There was one thing missing from such a marvelous moment... Them.

We had been together for neigh on three decades. She had known my secret before then even, we married, conceived a child together, and the world turned to hell. Her health was failing, the costs were enormous! My earnings didn't even make a dent in the growing mountain of debt, let alone allow me to show the world the person I had always been on the inside.

For months we discussed our options. Every path we explored led to one final solution: we would get divorced and the State would cover the costs I couldn't. Even after the paperwork was filed, we shared a roof together. It was then that the world tossed in a wrench, a major collapse in the economy stranded us, work became sporadic, simply keeping a roof and food on the table... it became a prison for us both. With no options we went our separate ways.

She was fortunate enough to find someone that promised to care for her. I hope you never have to feel the despair, the depression, the loss of self worth I felt, even though I was glad she was safe. They were married five months later, he lost his job and they went on assistance, and then he disappeared; ran away without a divorce, with no support for her. I wasn't in any better shape myself, couch surfing, pandering my skills for a tenth their value, just to eat.

Battling my own situation, we lost touch. It took years to get back on my feet, longer yet to pursue my own needs, starting and having to put myself back in the closet over and over.

I received an email... from her little brother, whom we had taken in when false accusations had ruined his life. We had helped him get back on top of his game. So, I suppose it was only just that he was the one to give me the news...

She was GONE, GOD had taken her home. Even now, so many years later, just the thought brings tears to my eyes and an ache inside I can't describe in words....

Before she died, I was graced by the Universe, finding a cousin I had no idea existed, by pure circumstance. We went into business together, well..tried starting a business together. For six years we struggled to get it off the ground; and he knew who I was. He helped me to show myself to the world. God took him too, and that memory brings me more tears.

I have no idea where HER remains are, but HIS are exactly where he asked me to put them. His birthday was yesterday, so I dressed as he helped me to become, myself... and climbed to the place where he sleeps... and watched the sun set.

All I know today, is that GOD better have a really really good reason for making me wait to see them again.

I hope HE does.

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Certainly not what I was expecting

What with 4/20 being associated with pot, you know what I was expecting. Nicely done, even if it's a downer.

A bit of Irony...

Snarfles's picture

my Cousin had been self medicating with pot for many years, it controlled his high blood pressure, eased the narcolepsy in his extremities, and helped him deal with anger issues from his childhood.

His mother reported him to the police, claiming he was growing and selling weed. Growing? yes... one mother plant and a few clones for his own consumption; just over an ounce. Selling? HA!.... He was convicted of a gross misdemeanor, and put on random testing. Six months later he passed from a dissecting cardio embolism...in my arms. All on the word of a woman positively diagnosed with dementia years earlier.

I Always Thought That

The time to smoke weed signal was 4:20, like the time, then it was just 420 and it was assumed that one knew what that meant.

4-20 or 4/20 seem like month and date notation.

I'm almost 71, but I didn't smoke until '68, sophomore year in college, cuz I was square and didn't hang with cool people.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

4-20 is a date notation...

Snarfles's picture

the two events that strike me most about 4-20, my cousin's Birthday, as well as Adolf Hitler.

About losing a lifetime partner

As a confirmed, 'dyed-in-the-wool' atheist I cannot nor ever will believe there is such a thing as a god. It's like trying to believe in fairies or spirits.

HOWEVER! The only remote reason I could ever think there was a god would be to tell it what sort of shit I thought it was for destroying my partner's life by giving her brain cancer. If there is some sort of after-life (and personally I don't think or believe there is), I'll have a few things to say to the thing that claims to run it and they won't be nice things.

bev_1.jpg

Respect

Snarfles's picture

Totally get your belief in the non existence of an Omniscient Omnipresent Supreme Being. On the other hand, I have seen too many things pointing to intelligent design, to a finite universe, and to be able to conceive time as an illusion; to doubt that everything had to come from somewhere. You, my friend, are more than welcome to believe in the world of coincidence, happenstance, and luck.... I think I'll stick to a blue-print, even if I don't understand it all.

Stay heathly