Woman in the Corner Office - 4

Printer-friendly version
20200327_114136.jpeg


Chapter 7


Mom always told me I had a hot Italian temper like pop and I'd been on the receiving end of a lot of lectures and other less pleasant punishments for letting it get away from me. Despite that it was all I could do to not up and deck him when he said 'his perversion.' I was brought up short by Christina and he was brought to heel by his wife with just a few words.

I felt bad that Christina was willing to take his abuse and surprised when she grabbed my hand to keep me from jumping up. Obviously this wasn't the first time she'd had to deal with him. And he was probably just one of many. I still wanted to knock his block off but I suspected he was going to get much worse from his wife.

I also wondered which way it would go when we returned to the office. A lot of men would take out their anger on someone like Christina as they couldn't take it out on their wives. I suspected there was a pretty strict prenup. I wouldn't find out how strict until later when Christina told me what happened.

I wondered who the hell she was until Christina showed me Tanya's business card. Dan's last name was Rivers so his wife must have kept her maiden name. I probably never would have known his wife was also his boss and one of the richest women in the Tampa Bay area if I hadn't met Christina.

Our sandwiches arrived and we could devote our attention to something more pleasing. I watched as she took her first bite. It was as dainty as the rest of her though the small moan that escaped her throat wasn't. I was happy that she was getting some pleasure out of this evening.

I was in no hurry for this to end and it was probably the slowest I'd eaten since mom tried to get me to eat asparagus when I was a kid. I got wise fast that the sooner you ate it the sooner it was over. Tonight I had a completely different reason to slow down.


Chapter 8


I'd never had a man treat me like Tony has. I was totally crushing on him. My niece would have a field day if she heard me say that. It still amazed me that she totally accepted me. I know she missed her mom and dad and then to have a woman like me come to take care of her.
When Social Services wanted to put her in a foster home rather than let her stay with the likes of me she had actually gone to her parents' lawyer and got herself emancipated. I figured she'd live by herself now but she wanted me to stay and Social Services couldn't say a damned thing. My sister would have been proud of her. Then again my sister had been my biggest supporter even though we'd been a continent apart.

I must have missed Tony's question, lost in thought, as he lightly touched my hand to get my attention. The waiter was asking if I wanted dessert. I told him no but to bring me the check. Tony wanted to pay but I was adamant and he was gracious enough not to argue. It was the least I could do after all he'd done for me.

Thinking about Jessica, reminded me to text her and ask if she wanted me to bring her back something even though it would be late. Her answer came back quickly. A big yes in caps and her order. The waiter was probably going to hate me as I flagged him down to add the to-go order. It also gave me a little more time to talk to Tony before we left.


Chapter 9


At first I was surprised when she put in the order to go after passing on dessert. Then she explained it was for her niece. I wondered who she had texted. I looked at the time and hoped her car would be fixed in time. There was no way I was leaving her alone. The triple A guy might be ok and then again he might not.

I debated cancelling my appointment. My client was hot to trot and I had some good suggestions, some via the woman across from me. Perhaps I could take her with to explain some of the investments. I must have said that out loud because she said I was nuts. I thought it was because she thought she might be read. I was dead wrong. She thought my client would disparage my suggestions if they came from a woman. She might be right. A lot of my clients and potential clients were old school, married with trophy wives.

I wonder if I had known C. Bowman was a woman from the outset would I have treated the recommendations she gave the same way? I hoped not but the investment world was still pretty much an old boys club and it's hard not to go along.

My ruminations were cut short by my phone. It seems triple A had come through and all four tires had been replaced. He asked what to do with the old ones. I told him to take them. I was sure he could make a few bucks off the rims. I also took note of the garage he worked for in case I needed any work done on my car.

I hung up to find her glaring at me and had no clue. She wasted no time in telling me why.


Chapter 10


He had some nerve, telling the guy to keep my old tires and rims. It's not that I wouldn't have done the exact same thing. It was his assuming he knew what was best for me. In a way I was flattered by his treating me like he probably would any other woman but I couldn't let him get the idea that he could make decisions for me just because I was one.

Look at me, treating him just like a new boyfriend who needs to know I'm not some possession or the little woman type either. I was torn between angrily shouting and laughing at his presumption. I was brought up short when he reminded me that the four new tires hadn't cost me a dime, being covered under his plan. Way to take the wind out of a girl's sails.

I had to step back and remember this was my white knight and I was being ungrateful in my vanity. I was just so defensive about how others treated me that I had automatically reacted as if he was one of the yahoos from work.

I apologized for my attitude. He didn't deserve to be upbraided for something I would have done myself. I thanked him again and resolved privately to find a local therapist. I definitely needed some help getting my emotions under control. I also needed someone to talk to about these new feelings coursing through my being.

up
270 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is a wonderful story......

D. Eden's picture

And I am truly enjoying it - but the shortness of the postings and the time between them is highly frustrating. I am driving myself nuts wondering what will happen next, lol.

Keep writing Hon, and I will promise to keep waiting impatiently for more.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Love this story

I am enjoying this story immensely. Love the two sided independent perspectives of the two main characters. Looking forward toward reading your next installment. AAA where I am usually, if it’s available, sends a truck that can change just the tires like a tire store does. Otherwise they tow you to the shop. It’s fun to watch them do the change.

Thank you for sharing.

Steph.

I like this definition of liberty: Liberty is the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behaviour, or political views.

this is a great story with great characters

I like the alternating viewpoint thing too.

I can't wait to find out more about the wife of boss, or the boss of the boss, or whatever.

I sure hope things change for Christina. Her niece sounds great.

Thank You

Commentator thank you for this great story! I look forward to seeing where you take this.

What All The Others Said

joannebarbarella's picture

I love this story, nothing to add.

Oh yeah, he'll get his butt reamed

Jamie Lee's picture

Dan can bet Tanya is going to bore him a new one, given how he has done nothing to end the abuse Christina has suffered at work. And his personal attitude about her.

Christina may not realize it yet, but Tanya has become an ally if she continues being harassed at the office. Tanya is not tolerant of such behavior and is likely to clean house if she hears Christina is still experiencing abuse.

Could it be that the knight in shining armor and the damsel in destress are heading to be a couple? Or might it just be they end up being good friends? Tony doesn't know it but how he's been treating Christina has gone a long way in helping her start getting her self esteem back. He's showing her there are people who find it offensive how she is being treated, and would use a bat on those who humiliate her.

Others have feelings too.