Woman in the Corner Office - 3

Printer-friendly version
20200327_114136.jpeg


Chapter 5

I don't know what possessed me to kiss a complete stranger and my involuntary reaction to being in close contact for the first time in months with a woman surprised me and shocked her. I appreciated that she didn't pull away and leave my embarrassment on show for everyone. She asked if she made me uncomfortable and apologized profusely. I didn't understand why until it finally hit me, she was concerned about me going off about kissing a guy. I don't think she'll believe me but I tell her anyway, I kissed a woman. It was as simple and complicated as that.

All I could say is my brain, my lips and my body said it was a woman that kissed me back. I had no doubt of that. It was a sign of how badly she was treated at the office that she automatically assumed I would be no different than them.

I needed to bring her and myself back down to earth so I summoned the waiter to take our order. I asked if it was alright if I ordered for her. She smiled. I think a lot of other women might have been insulted even though I asked and didn't tell. And there it was. Other women. Christina worried that I thought about her as a transexual, a woman in a man's body. Well, she was wrong. She was just a woman. Maybe she had a birth defect but that wasn't the point, she resonated woman and I was responding to that.

I looked up and the waiter was patiently waiting. I apologized and ordered a couple of regular cuban sandwiches, pressed and cuban toast. As I still had a client meeting tonight I had iced tea but suggested Christina might want something stronger. She just said to bring her iced tea too. She told me she didn't want to drive home with liquor on her breath.


Chapter 6

Tony didn't understand so I told him. The local cops weren't any better than the people at work and I didn't want any trouble like the last time when one of my coworkers broke a taillight on my car and caused me to get stopped.

I think the cop would have treated an escaped axe murderer better than he treated me. The moment he saw my license with the M on it and he looked down at me I knew I was in trouble. Having been warned about something like this online I had immediately taken my phone out of my purse at the same time I had taken out my wallet. I turned it on record and informed the officer that I was taping everything. Of course he wanted to take my phone and I recited the law about illegal search and seizure and asked why he wanted my phone. He had no real answer for that or perhaps felt he better not say.

Tony looked at me like I had two heads. I guess it was finally sinking in just who he had gotten himself mixed up with. Turns out he was looking behind me at someone else, our boss and his wife. I don't think he knew who I was as I had my back to him but I recognized his voice. I prayed Tony would be able to fend him off without him realizing who he was with. My hopes were dashed when Dan said he was sure I was exaggerating things. I barely kept my temper in check when Tony said he doubted that.

"I suppose that fact that she came out to find all four of her tires slashed is an exaggeration too. It's sickening that you let this go on."

"Me? What's this got to do with me. I can't help it if others have a problem with his perversion."

I thought Tony was going to get up and slug the man when I heard another voice.

"Is this the way you treat a valued employee Dan? Perversion? It's you and those yahoos who work for you that are perverted. I expect you to see that the company's insurance pays for the damage. If not, you call me young lady and I'll make sure a check is issued for the damages directly from the company."

The woman handed me her card.


Tanya Lukes
Chairman of the Board
Lukes Financial

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I know that all things considered......

D. Eden's picture

I have been lucky in my experiences.

My family has accepted me, as have the majority of my colleagues and my close friends - although honestly, I didn’t have many friends prior to transitioning. I probably have more now than I did before.

I have met my share of ignorant bastards and bigots, but I have also found even more decent people. Yes, I have had my share of staring, but quite often more in curiosity than hostility. Yes, I live in upstate NY, and my office is in Eastern PA, so it’s not like I live in redneck central, but I travel a lot for business and have encountered people all over the country and in Canada. I also spent the better part of two years living in SC with a job that kept me in the southeastern US. Oddly enough, I found the people in Columbia, SC to be very polite and kind in their interactions with me. I did have issues in Mississippi while there on business, and even more issues in North Carolina - which surprised me as it was in the Charlotte area, and I would have expected those people to be better than those in rural areas. On the other hand, when visiting my mother in the Raleigh area, I did not have issues.

I guess my point here is that no matter where you live, no matter where you travel, you will find all types of people - good, bad, curious, indifferent, polite, nasty, etc., and we all have to live with this and deal with it. Contrary to what our current President seems to think, reality is not what we want it to be, but rather what truly is.

This is an outstanding story, which I hope to see a lot more of. It illustrates the issues we all deal with in a very different way than most others, and it is very refreshing to read it.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Very Touching Story

Commentator what a great story you are writing. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Such a great...

Mantori's picture

story.

The only problem I have with it is that thew chapters are so short.
And I have to wait so long between chapters.

Fabulous, just fabulous!

Thank you for sharing!

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Am I reading this right?

Is their boss (Dan) married to the chairman (chairwoman, chairperson?) of the board? That would make for a fairly contentious homelife I would think.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Huh?

I thought they were at a sub shop, do they serve wine?

Gumby - I'm flexible

"Imagination is more important, than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘that’s funny…’” - Isaac Asimov

Someone to love me.

I've been out for 16 years, post op since 2007. I was a devout Christian before 2003. I know what it is like to run into those who are like the dribble from a Colostomy Bag. After a while you learn to live in yourself; to not give others a chance. The sole exception has been local members of the Mormon Church. Their leaders in SLC have been right bastards full stop. There are lots of reasons to not trust religious folk, but the locals have been sweet and loving in a way I can scarcely handle at times.

I'm Really Liking This

joannebarbarella's picture

A good story with realistic situations and great repartee and dialogue. I have one gripe; the chapters are too short and leave me with my tongue hanging out for more.

That last line qualifies as a kick in the balls for the nominal boss (her husband?).

Joanne said it

The chapters are too short. I get into it and am loving the way the words tumble so sweetly off the page and the pffft, end.
That being said, I want to work for Tanya Lukes; she has her brain on straight. Wait, she's a woman so I guess that last part was unnecessary.
Can't wait for the next chapter.

>>> Kay

How the cow ate the cabbage

Jamie Lee's picture

Dan's personal boss isn't happy with him and it sounds like she could drop kick him and the other AHs on down the street. If Dan has been married any time at all, he should know not to tick off his wife.

It also sounds like there might be a meeting to explain how the cow ate the cabbage. And any more harrassment of Christina by anyone and heads will roll to the unemployment line.

Others have feelings too.