New Tale to Tell Chapter 16: Maxwell's

Printer-friendly version

New Tale to Tell
Chapter 16
by Justin M.
Copyright © 2020 Justin M. All rights reserved.

'... Listen my friends, why don't you order, enjoy a beautiful meal, dance a bit and then we can all talk over a nice port. I find that some things are best explained on a full stomach, over a good wine and” he looks at Jonathan, “by me.”


~o~O~o~

Chapter 16: Maxwell's

A week after Jonathan is cleared to return to school, the kids pull into the driveway at Shelby’s after an afternoon out and about. “Shelby? Can I come in and talk to your parents?”

“Of course silly, why do you even think you have to ask?” She grabs his hand, “C’mon.”

They find the adults on the back patio sharing a bottle of wine. “Mr. & Mrs. Curtis? Do you have a minute?”

“Why hello Jonathan. How nice to see you! How are you feeling?”

“What's on your mind boy?”

“Fine thank you. Well Mr. Curtis, Mrs.Curtis. You both and Shelby have done so much for me. Not just anyone would take in a sick stray and nurse them back to health. And after my coming unglued on Mrs. Curtis I'd have thought you would have thrown me out. But you persevered, took care of me, and still let me date Shelby. Well for all you have done, I’d like to show you my appreciation. Would you allow me to host the three of you for an evening out? This Friday evening? Sort of a double date?”

“Jonathan that isn't…”

“I appreciate that Mrs. Curtis, but it would mean alot to me to be able to show you a night on the town.”

“What do you think Robert?”

“Well Mary we could use a nite out…”

“Mom please…?”

“Ok you two. Jonathan we would love to have a night out with you. But nothing too extravagant...”

…..

Friday...

Robert is buttoning his shirt, "Shelby are you sure he didn't tell you where we were going?"

Shelby answers from across the house - "For the umpteenth time! No Daddy! He hasn't told me anything except to dress semi-formal. No tie, and stockings are optional."

"What!?"

She giggles, "Optional for me and mom. You don't have the legs for them!"

Mary walks out of the bedroom - “How do I look?” She's wearing a Black see-thru ruffled vest over an emerald green camisole and black thigh length skirt. Robert, knowing his wife, can sense by the look in her eyes she's wearing no bra and a surprise for him, to be shared later. The matching emerald seamed stockings and black patent leather pumps complete her outfit. Her flaming red tresses are worn up with just enough curl dangling to set her husband's blood on fire.

Robert lets out a low whistle, “I could take you right here, right now.” The excitement in his voice palpable.

A giggle from behind, tells him he’s been busted, “That's not a very appropriate thing to say in front of your daughter, daddy.” Shelby had emerged from her room just in time to hear her father. She is dressed to the nines. Her mid-thigh-length dress is strapless, white with red polka-dots and full petticoats. Heels of red are wrapped around her feet. Her jet black locks are done in her signature Bettie Page style with the same black square rimmed glasses framing the grey-green eyes inherited from her mother. A red belt, clutch and nail polish, compliment her outfit. Her accessories consist of white lace gloves, a red bangle on her wrist and matching loops in her ears. “So how do I look daddy?”

Robert looks at his daughter. Both women can see him draw a deep breath, as only a father can, knowing his little girl has become woman. He pauses, searching for the right words. “You're grounded. Go to your room.” Without taking his eyes off his lovely daughter, “Mary, I think Shelby should only be able to go out wearing something less grown up. Like a potato sack and army boots.” The smile on his face is all the approval Shelby needs. Mumbling he turns to the little corner bar for a drink. “Damn. I've got two of them now. That boy hasn't a clue what he's gotten himself into.”

Mary beams at her daughter, “Just ignore him Bee. You belong on a runway! My baby is so beautiful!”

At 6:30 sharp, a knock at the door announces Jonathan's arrival. He is dressed in a simple grey double breasted suit with a linen crop collared shirt in blue. A boutonniere is pinned on the left lapel. A matching kerchief pokes from the breast pocket.

Robert notes, but doesn't comment on the onyx cuff links and matching Breitling watch.

He presents Mary with a bouquet of carnations. He also has a small box containing a boutonniere for Robert, and corsages for the girls. “Mr. Curtis I hope you don't think me presumptuous. The flowers are but a small thank you to Mrs. Curtis for putting up with me. The corsages… well we are taking the two prettiest ladies around, out for the evening.” He says a bit sheepishly.

Robert pats the young man on the shoulder and leans close. “No worries my boy! I'll just tell them it was all my idea” He finishes with a wink.

“Hello Jonathan.” She had stepped into the other room before he entered. Like many women her age, it's all about the entrance.

When Jonathan turns she can see his breath catch in his chest. She has barely been able to hide her own nervousness anticipating this moment. “Hu-Hu-” a deep breath… “Hi Bee...You're a vision!” He approaches her, her parents watching… “Would you do me the honor of allowing me to escort you to dinner tonight?”

Shelby suppresses a giggle, curtsies, “Why I would most enjoy that dear sir!” Jonathan pulls her corsage from its container. His hands visibly shake as he straps it to her wrist. Robert has less trouble with Mary's corsage. “These were all my idea Love”

“Yeah right. Mr. Casanova.” She kisses him.

Jonathan offers Shelby's his arm and turns to the others. “Shall we?”

Mary smiles, “Of course young sir. Robert would you open the garage?”

“We won't be needing that Mr. & Mrs Curtis.” Jonathan turns to the front door with Shelby. Outside there is a car waiting. Not quite a stretched limo but large enough to accommodate four people in the back. Two facing forward, two facing back. A driver stands at the back door waiting.

The Curtis's are taken aback. Mary recovers first, “Jonathan! You shouldn't have!”

“It's no trouble Mrs. Curtis.”

“Hiring a car doesn't come cheap son.” The older man comments.

Jonathan replies almost pleadingly “Mr. Curtis, please trust me when I say it isn't. Let's just enjoy the evening, and not worry about what the costs are.”

He turns to the gentleman standing by the car. “Dr’s Robert and Mary Curtis. I’d like to introduce Mr. Phillip Simms. Mr. Simms will be our driver, guide, and advisor this evening.”

“A pleasure to meet you Mr. Simms” Robert offers his hand,

“Of course sir. And please, it’s Phillip. Master Jonathan is always so formal. Mrs. Curtis, you look quite alluring this evening.” He bows slightly taking Mary’s hand.

“Mr. Simms? May I present Miss Shelby Andrea Curtis. The young lady whom I'll be escorting this evening.”

Bowing low Philip takes Shelby's hand gently “Ah Miss Curtis, the fresco's Jonathan paints of you with words, pale in comparison to the seeing. I now understand what has him so enraptured.” As she curtsies, Shelby blushes as red as the polka-dots of her dress. “Thank you Mr. Simms.”

Philip takes the door handle in hand, “Now. Dr. Curtis? Master Jonathan? If you are ready there is a 7:30 reservation waiting. Please embark the ladies and yourselves. I’ve glasses set out, and it's my belief the wine has had ample time to breathe.”

Mary looks to Phillip, then Jonathan, “Wine?”

“Why of course Madam. It's a beautiful evening, the top is open and the grape Jonathan has chosen, a 2004 Acrobat Pinot Noir, sets so very well on the pallet. Mixed with the air these southern winters bring, the flavor truly is memorable. Of course, your daughter is up to you and your husband, however I will only allow a single glass for the ladd. I would advise the same for the young lady. Jonathan knows my rules.”

Shelby perks up and pleads silently to her mother. “PLEASE!”

HALF a glass. That means Both of you!”

Philip chuckles.

Jonathan nods, “Yes Dr. Curtis” Shelby allows the little girl in her to burst forth and excitedly claps her hands.

Phillip drives the two couples through tunnels of trees, and lanes open to clear skies which are slowly giving way to evening behind a westering sun. His comments on the wine prove true as the doctors both breathe deep of the cool air and taste the subtle changes in the grape.

By 7:30 Philip arrives at Maxwell's. An exclusive five star restaurant occupying an old world manor and gardens, nestled among groves of great Willows and Cypress

Mary again looks accusingly at Jonathan. “You said you would trust me. ” She gives in with a shrug. “Just know that I didn't spend two hours getting my hair and nails done to wash dishes young man!”.

The boy laughs, “Not to worry Mrs. Curtis.”

As the couples step up on the porch, the door is opened by a handsome 40-something gentleman with black hair and Mediterrainian complexion. His wide grin reveals even white teeth. “Master Jonathan! We have so missed you!” He takes a step towards the boy then restrains himself. A hint of sadness behind his dark eyes, he settles for a handshake. “Please! Introduce me to your companions.” Jonathan introduces the Curtis's and Shelby.

“A pleasure to meet all of you! Welcome to Maxwell's! I am Gordon Maxwell. May you eat well and leave full, but not too full, we do so want you to leave wanting more. That way we know you'll come back” Gordon laughs at his lame humor.

They are immediately seated and with a flourish and a clap, Gordon summons staff to their table. Napkins are laid in their laps, water glasses filled, and piping oven-fresh bread placed before them. Gordon himself recites tonight's menu. He finishes with, “Of course, if none of tonight's selections are to your taste, please ask and I will see if we can do something special for any of you. Oh! I almost forgot. Jonathan my lad! I’ve prepared a triple fudge mousse, just how you like it. I'll leave you to decide. James will be standing by to answer any questions you may have.” He shuffles off to check on his other guests.

This time it’s Robert who turns his eyes to the young man. - “Jonathan? The car & driver was one thing. BUT! Maxwell’s is the hardest restaurant in the state to get into. Reservations are almost nine months out. We get here out of the blue it seems, and the OWNER meets us, knows you by name, prepares a special dessert, AND offers to make us anything we want? Let's hear it son.”

Gordon appears from nowhere, “Did I hear my name? My ears are so burning. Ha! Listen my friends, why don't you order, enjoy a beautiful meal, dance a bit, and then we can all talk over a nice port. I find that some things are best explained on a full stomach, over a good wine and” he looks at Jonathan, “by me.”

The nervous look on Jonathan's face eases at Robert’s silent acceptance of the delay.

Soon they order and the talk turns to the kids schooling, and some discussion of both the doctor’s practices. Shelby wishes to follow in one of her parents footsteps, but has yet to decide which. Jonathan even offers a few insights into his life before the accident. Mary sees it as a sign of healing.

When the food arrives, it is magnificent. The Curtis's rave about the meal and the atmosphere. The pianist plays a waltz. Jonathan gently guides Shelby to the dance floor. Robert and Mary soon follow.

Four dances later the table is cleared. Dessert for the teens is served - Jonathan's mousse is all he remembered and more, and the Curtis's, having finished a caramel creme brulee’ are enjoying an extremely good port. Gordon joins them.

Gordon pours himself a glass and leans back in his chair, “So. Time for some explanations,” he looks to Jonathan, “Jonathan. Why don't you take your enchanting companion for a walk in the gardens? The cicadas are singing. We may even have some late blooming Jasmine to tickle your date’s nose.” The boy silently takes Shelby by the hand and guides her out the back of the restaurant. Gordon thinks out loud, “He's such a good boy. Excuse me, young man. Mickie and Jon did a wonderful job.”

Mary interrupts his thoughts. “Mr. Maxwell, we have had such a wonderful evening. The food, the music. It's been magnificent. I only wish we could get reservations more often.”

“Thank you. Your enjoyment is why we do this. Well, that and your money.” They all laugh at his joke. He continues, “but don't worry about that. Tonight has already been taken care of. Which brings me to the explanation portion of the evening. First let me say, you have been officially added to ‘The List.’ Call whenever you want and there should be a table available within 24 hours of whatever time you choose.” Gordon looks out the window at the two teens embracing in the gardens. “Scratch that. There will always be a table available for you. At any time you so desire.”

Robert, sounding a bit confused, “OK and thank you Mr…”

“Call me Gordon, please.”

“Thanks Gordon.” He pushes, “May we ask why?”

Gordon gestures with his glass out the window to Jonathan and Shelby. “Because, he is happy and your daughter... No.” he smiles at the Curtis’s, “Your family, makes him so.”

Mary’s psychiatry training kicks in “What makes you say that?”

“Because I love that kid. I loved his parents. They are why Maxwell's exists. They gave me my start. They took care of the legal and financial and allowed me to do what I do best. Run a restaurant. A great restaurant. After the accident, he and Maxwell's are all that I have left of them. They believed in me. Trusted me. I won't forget something like that. He, Jonathan, represents 30% of this place, but it's more than that. He’s family and he's in a very dark place.... Robert...Mary? You should know. This is the first time he's been in since the accident. I'm beside myself seeing him. I want to hug him, hold him, and let him know it's going to be alright. But I can't. He's been running from that life. But tonight...He has found some joy. I can see it in him. It's her, your daughter, and the two of you that’s saving him. I'm going to support it in any way I can. And for all that your family has done for him, my home, this restaurant, is open to you.”

He pauses and captures both of them in his gaze, “Promise me one thing. When the time comes, allow me to aid in planning the event. We could even do it here.”

Robert pours another glass and looks at the other man perplexed, “What are you talking about?”

Gordon again nods towards the gardens. The Curtis's look in the direction of his gesture. Jonathan and Shelby are slow dancing in the moonlight. His arms about her waist, her hands resting on his chest. Their noses lightly brush as they stare into each other's eyes.

Mary muses, “It's hard to say Gordon. They are so young!”

Gordon smiles to himself. “We’ll see.” He watches the two dance in the moonlight. What he knows of the Moorlands and how they fall in love, will have to wait for another conversation.

As if by magic, Phillip is standing over the table. “Mr. Maxwell, I believe it is about the appointed hour.”

“Of course, I was lost in a reverie” he had been thinking of the many nights he had watched Mickie and Jon dance under the same moon, in the same spot, holding on the same way. Choking back his grief, he stands. “I'll let him know it's time.” He turns to Philip and the Curtis's, “Please don't let him stay away from here. This place is part his and it's that much emptier when he's not around.” With that he walks off to gather the teens.

Mary and Robert gather themselves and their thoughts to leave. Taking her husband's hand “They do so look like they belong together.” Robert gently squeezes her hand in agreement.

When the trio return it's Jonathan who speaks first, “So are we all set? Did we get 'almost’ enough to eat?” He smiles at Gordon. “Mr. Simms? I believe we have one more stop this evening?”

“Of course Master Jonathan. The car awaits. This way please.”

Shelby squeals in delight “Another stop? Where?”

Robert and Mary in unison - “Yes? Where?”

Jonathan replies cryptically, “You have trusted me this far. Have you been disappointed? No? Then perhaps you could trust a little bit longer?”

“Ok son. But I think you are going to spoil our girls. This is a hard act for a poor surgeon to follow.” He grins.

The beauty of living in the southern southeast is that one can travel from the quiet of the bayous, to the breeze swept sands of the coast in a manner of minutes. That is where the Curtis's soon found themselves. Riding along a secluded road bracketed by scrub palmetto on one side and white sand on the other. Their path illuminated by a three-quarter moon. The journey ends in a semi-circle drive guarded by wrought iron gates at either end. As the car approaches, one silently slides open. They stop before a beautiful contemporary beach house set among the sands and indigenous foliage. The front is minimalist with few windows and one great front door.

Upon exiting the car Jonathan leads the group along the side of the house, around to the rear of the property. The back is everything the front is not. Wide and tall with lots of glass and doors opening onto patios overlooking an infinity pool. Dim lights emit from several of the rooms.

Just off the patio, on the sand, the two couples are greeted by several lounge chairs, blankets, pillows, and two low log benches arranged in a circle around a happily crackling fire. Cheeses and a bottle of grape sit on a small table. Glasses are at the ready and the wine is open. There are waters and sodas for the minors. A guitar leans against one of the logs. Seeing the instrument, Jonathan shoots a frightened look back towards Phillip. The older man merely smiles, and nods, then turns his back and wanders to the car. The gentle breaking of the waves muffle the sound of the tires as it rolls off into the night.

Jonathan, knowing the car has left, takes Shelby's hand tightly and turns to face the adults. He knows there is no one to explain for him this time. Shelby can sense he's nervous and gives his hand a reassuring squeeze. “Mr. Curtis, Mrs. Curtis? Please make yourselves comfortable.” Once they're seated he continues, “I'd like to welcome all of you to Thak-Ko Hotalit, it means ‘Ocean Breeze’ in Muscogee, the Seminole language. My mother named it, as she was part Cherokee, and wished to show respect for the tribe whose land this once was.” He sighs before continuing, “Until Tuesday, the house is ours, this being a three-day weekend. Mr. Curtis, you and Mrs. Curtis have the Master suite. I have a room on the North and Shelby is to the west overlooking the water. There are robes, new bathing suits for all of us and some other casual clothes. I took the liberty of guessing some sizes. The meals have been provided ready to eat. Courtesy of Mr. Maxwell. All we need do is relax and enjoy the weekend.

“Wait Jonathan. Just wait! How in the world did you do this? This place must cost a fortune! The food, the wine, the car? Now this! It's too much son.” Mary is worried he has spent a small fortune on the evening.

“Please, I'm trying to show my gratitude for all you have done for me. It really goes beyond just when I was sick. And I want to show that I can provide for myself, and that ‘someone special’”. Of her own volition Shelby presses closer to Jonathan.

He takes a deep breath, “You know my parents were partners in a law firm. The truth is, they were the law firm. Mr. Stanley the current senior partner holds but a lesser percentage of the firm. My mom and dad built it, and expanded it, through clients and philanthropy. Mrs. Curtis, you and Bee met Rosaria, Ms. Gutierrez? She told you some things. And I believe Mr. Maxwell may have as well. They are but two people with holdings that my parents shared in. Those shared holdings belong to the firm. This house belongs to the firm. Mom and Dad would use it to entertain clients, they would throw business parties and reward many of their business interest’s employees for good work. Sometimes they would donate its use to charitable organizations. It’s not for fundraising and entertaining the privileged. Whenever possible a deserving family gets it for a weekend."

"I remember how mom, dad and I would come here for a few days at the beach. My dad even taught me how to swim in the pool. I.. I haven't been back in over a year. It.. it’s hard for me... Mr. Stanley and Dr. Michael's have been pressing for me to move forward, to take some steps to face…” His voice trails off as his eyes well up. “I -I just wanted someone…. Important to take those steps with me. I told Dr. Michaels that you three were who I wanted to do this with. Nobody else would do. If I could get you to come along, then maybe I could do it. And maybe… maybe I needed to share this with you. She said that you would understand.” He meekly stands before them fighting to hold back tears.

Shelby no longer able to restrain herself, wraps her arms around his neck, her eyes watery. “Oh Jonathan, you sure know how to make a girl feel wanted. I’m thankful for your making me a part of this.” Mary joins in the embrace, “We all are Jonathan. Aren't we Robert?” He is already there Holding his wife, his daughter and this young man whom so quickly has gained entry into his family's hearts.

After several moments Robert suggests a glass of wine to toast the evening. “To first steps, a beautiful wife, our enchanting daughter, the making of happy memories and.. and to Michelle and Jonathan whose son I'm proud to have in my family's orbit.”

“Don’t forget this kick-ass house Daddy!”

“And the kick-ass house!”

Afterwards the two couples relax on the beach enjoying the fire and watching the occasional meteor burn out of existence.

Shelby snuggles next to Jonathan. After a while she moves just enough to put her face inches from his. “Jonny?” (No one but his mother had ever called him Jonny. The name coming from the girl with the grey-green eyes melts him) “Jonny I see the guitar. Will you sing for me? Like you do in the practice rooms?” She can feel and see him tighten up under her. He hadn't sang publicly ever, not even for his father. Only his mother (and apparently Shelby somehow) had ever heard his voice. And Philip. He had heard. That was why HIS guitar was here. He recognized it immediately. Philip! He was always able to anticipate Jonathan's needs. Even when he didn't know himself.

Mary had caught the earlier silent exchange between Philip and Jonathan. “It was Philip wasn't it? He seems to know you quite well Jonathan. He believes in you.” She looks to the instrument. “I don't think he would have put it out if he didn't think you were ready.”

Silently Jonathan untangles himself from Shelby. He walks to his once favorite diversion and picks it up. The Maple, walnut and mother of pearl are so familiar to him. By the light of the fire he can make out the words “Fender USA” burned into the wood through the sound hole. And under that. “Jonathan Daniel Moorland Our Greatest Achievement Love Mom and Dad” His fingers grasp for and find the pick right where he had left it in its tiny sleeve stuck to the side.

Jonathan sits on the log and tunes his old friend. Shelby seats herself on a pillow at his feet.

Robert sitting across the fire and holding his bride, softly coaches him like one of his patients taking their first steps after reconstruction. “Take it easy the first time Jonathan. Play whatever gets you through it.”

When he begins, it's a song based on a novel by J.R.R. Tolkein and made famous by Ed Sheeran. He had learned it for his mother. She loved the book, the movies, and the singer's simplicity in how he sang the song. It was the kind of song she liked for Jonny to sing. It relied on his voice more than the melody. Micki had always loved her son’s voice. Tonight he sang out clear and on key, into the darkness, to her.

His voice lifts into the night, as it rises and falls, so does the emotion in his voice. The small group is drawn into the lyrics, the tale of sadness. The moment is poignant for him. Shelby clutches his leg smiling up at him experiencing the roller coaster of emotion with him. In all the time she has known him, in all the eavesdropping on him in the music studio, he has never finished a song. Inevitably he would falter and then crumble under the weight of the grief music had held for him. Not this time.

Mary breaks the silence, “That was beautiful Jonathan. You are a gifted singer. But such a sad song!”

Shelby is on her knees clutching him, having peppered his face with kisses. Through her affection, he smiles at Mary. “I learned it for my mother. I was going to sing it for her when we got home from the ski trip. I never got the chance. It's nice to think she would have liked it.”

Robert says, “I'm sure she did. We all did.” He thinks to himself that with all the emotion the boy goes through, it is small wonder why he connects so well with Shelby. He and Mary had always taught her not to be afraid or ashamed to feel. This young man has been forced by life to do just that. And rarely in a good way. Perhaps his connection with the girl has helped him to embrace it, or at least, not fear being judged for feeling.

Shelby pipes in, “Ok I'm going to be selfish. Play one for me now… Please?” He takes her gently by the chin and kisses her on the tip of her nose. “Ok silly, have a seat.” He pats the log next to him.

This time he sings for Shelby, to Shelby. Edwin McCain's “I’ll Be” She meltss.

As the two teens become enthralled in the music, Mary reaches behind her and grabs her husband by the back of his neck, pulls his ear to her mouth, and whispers, “Take me inside. Take me inside and make love to me.”

Robert lifts her to her feet and hand in hand they wander off to the house in search of their rooms. Jonathans voice fades into the breeze behind them.



This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


An earlier comment spoke of hoping for more music in New Tale. As important to Jonathan as music is, I felt a need to take this story in another direction. Unfortunately it relegated the music aspect to the lesser plot point it filled in this chapter. I wanted it to be a poignant part of Jonathan's opening up to the Curtis family and help move the story forward.

To all those who comment: Thanks for making me better!

v/r
JM

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How did that happen?

I have a wet face!
A lovely story - thank you!

Stillian.

Tissue alert

Great episode, thanks.

Anne Margarete

Well done!

That was about as tender a romantic scene as I've read on BigCloset.

Great story.

Wow!!! I’m really enjoying this story. Thank you

So, big mistake.......

D. Eden's picture

To read this while eating my lunch at my desk. Thank God I have a private office and no one saw the tears rolling down my face, or me having to repair my makeup after.

I had to look up the Ed Sheehan song as I didn’t recognize it. Nice choice - I’ll have to remember it.

This has been a wonderful story about two truly amazing teens and the special people around them. A story that started out in such a dark place has now sent me soaring on wings of emotion. It takes a true talent to stir that much emotion in a reader, and I praise you for that ability.

Thank you not only for sharing that talent with all of us, but for putting a special moment into an otherwise dull day of numbers and meetings.

Note to self.......... close the office door next time.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I'm guessing I see Fire.

Lucy Perkins's picture

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me

I'm not a huge Ed Sheeran fan, but I LOVE that song..it brings me to tears every time.

It was my good lady wife who was the LOR fan, but I'm happy to be a fan of the movies. Always wanted to be Arwen if I'm honest...

Anyway, another absolutely brilliant chapter. Jonny and Shelby are soooo cute.
I am afraid I find myself thinking about where this story is going in the daytime...I do hope all of us are invited to the wedding. I've already bought a dress..it's royal blue and a fifties full skirt...
Love Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Lovely

A beautiful chapter. We shall have to agree to disagree on the musical selections, however. As well as LOTR, especially the movies.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

No worries

No worries. Not everyone shares the same tastes, its that whole diversity thing society has going on. It keeps life interesting.

For my part I'm thrilled people are reading and enjoying New Tale. Yours and the others comments are all greatly appreciated!

v/r
JM

Justin

How Thoughtful

How Thoughtful. Thank you for sharing. IMO This was a great song and given how I respond to it, felt it would fit well in the story.

Justin

Those three have really helped

Jamie Lee's picture

It started first with Shelby and has now extended to Robert and Mary. All three have accepted Johnathan into their family. Given him a loving place he is more than welcome to be.

He has come a long way from the time he started school, to a place where he can finish music meant for his mom or mom and dad.

Those three people have helped Johnathan heal to the point where they're starting to see the marvelous boy hurt had buried for so many months.

That family is going to be together for years to come.

Others have feelings too.

This was hard chapter to read,

because I couldn't see very well, for some reason my eyes were all blurry.