Tammy:Deathtrap - Part 7 "Private Investigations"

Printer-friendly version
 Deathtrap  

Part
 
Seven

 

"Private Investigations"

 

 
Wednesday 16th November 2016 (continued)
 

"Hello Uncle, I wasn't expecting you yet."

Lucas had followed Tammy and Iain outside, or at least as far as the lobby. Through the window, the carpark was rapidly turning white. Tammy and Iain backed up and James Dougall entered the building.

Tammy had unclasped her shoulder bag and her right hand was sat on the bag.

"It's cold out there, and I caught the first train I could, is there somewhere to get a coffee around here?"

"Sure Uncle James."

"Do you know these two?"

"Tammy's on my course, and the filth is giving today's lesson."

"Remember, never trust the police, or her!" He jabbed a finger towards Tammy, careful not to touch her.

"I've checked, I can't find anything."

Iain took Tammy's hand, the free one, "a coffee sounds good."

She was having trouble keeping her tongue, but James wasn't making aggressive moves or talking threateningly. The recently paroled man was left in the café as the others returned to the lecture theatre.

A few stragglers followed the pair, and Donald restarted the session.

"The snow's starting to settle so we'll be quick. Any questions for the Chief Inspector?"

Lucas was the first to raise his hand, Iain nodded. "Who killed my auntie?"

"Paula Dougall was your aunt?"

"Yes."

"It's still an open case but new evidence is needed before any officers re-examine it."

"I think you got the right one first time."

"The appeal court didn't agree."

"Yeah, the law's an ass."

Donald glared at Lucas, "if you had a personal connection to this case then you should have said so, that goes for all of you. I also suggest you keep comments like that to yourself."

The majority of the questions centred on the appeal, with one student asking the question that no-one else had.

"So who did kill Paula Dougall, and was George Smith's death connected?"

"During the last cold-case review, a number of people were considered but there is no evidence that would link them to either death. During the fatal accident inquiry into George Smith's death, the medical examiner's report raised some queries but stopped short of saying it was not a natural death. Again, without further evidence that line of inquiry is closed."

"What evidence would be sufficient?"

"That's difficult to say, even a confession would be insufficient grounds to charge a suspect, but we never did find the murder weapon - that would be a good find but it will have had ten years to degrade."

"What was the murder weapon?" Asked Tammy, "It was simply referred to as a blunt instrument."

"From the impact marks it would have been the handle off a garden implement or similar tool. We found wood splinters in her hair. That information was never released to the public as we still hoped to find the weapon."

Iain took a few more questions from the Stornaway and Wick students before Donald went back to the lectern.

"Thank you Chief Inspector. I should remind you all that this is a cold case and the murderer could still be alive, indeed could still be in Thurso, and as such you should not make any accusations. If you believe you have new evidence, take it to the Police do not bring it to me, to other students or to the press! We will be emailing you the next assignment this afternoon, it's due back here on Monday."

Tammy held back as the students left K10, if anyone had looked they would have seen her checking her phone. Down the front, Iain was still talking to Donald.

"Ah, Miss Smart, I believe you know the Chief Inspector?"

"From the Mill Theatre, Sir."

"That was an interesting question you posed?"

"It seemed odd that the weapon had only been vaguely referred to. I take it, Iain, that the whole of St George's Park was searched?"

"Yes, Tammy."

"It's an interesting case."

"It was, at the time, a rare murder for Thurso."

"I don't remember it, I was only ten at the time. Anyway, I best get home."

"Could you drop me in town, Tammy?"

"Sure."

They left together, passing James and Lucas in the corridor. The roads were passable, decided Tammy, she didn't want to spend any more time in the college, so the snow chains were ignored and she hopped in, as did her passenger. Tammy hit the locking button before starting up the car.

"Do you feel insecure?"

"No Iain, not exactly, but Lucas has expressed a liking for this vehicle and I don't trust James Dougall one bit." She pulled out of her parking bay and headed for the exit.

"What were you going to tell me at break time?"

"That James had been paroled!"

"Oh, bit late now!"

"Quite."

"You were keeping your bag very close at break?"

"I had no wish to lose it."

"Are you armed today?"

"You know, Iain, that I can't answer that. Where would you like dropping?"

"By the Castletown Hotel, please, I have a meeting to attend before I'm done for the day."

She decided against driving down to the hotel as the side roads hadn't been treated, so dropped him on Olrig St.

"Thanks Tammy, I'll see you at the theatre if I don't see you in the meantime."

She was home ten minutes later, it was still a little early for lunch so she took advantage of the empty study to call Jenny.

"James Dougall turned up at the university this morning, he's Lucas Youngers's uncle."

"Is James a threat to you, right now?"

"He knows where to find me, but he didn't say anything to me, as such."

"I'll need a report."

"I guessed so."

"Why did you check on James yesterday?"

"We were doing a case study on the murder of Paula Dougall, I guess she's his sister, and I had a nagging feeling that James might not be in prison."

"Use of the Police National Computer for college research is frowned upon!"

"Considering he's assaulted me in the past, I think I was justified."

"You weren't working for the Service at the time so it has no connection to your work. Need I remind you that, right now, you have no work!"

"Yeah."

"Leave the criminal matters to the Police, please Tammy, you should concentrate on your studies and, until otherwise notified, you are not to undertake any Security Service work."

"What about contact reports?"

"We don't need a contact report for Donald Templeton, otherwise use common sense. We're booking you on a course for Easter, by the way."

"Where?"

"To be decided, there's no need for you to know that before March!"

Tammy wrote up her latest report, then submitted it before locking all of her official equipment away.

Lunch was next, Zara had left a pasty that was quickly zapped then eaten, causing mild indigestion.

Tammy really wanted to visit the library but the snow was coming down heavy again so she settled in for the rest of the day, regretting the speed with which she'd devoured lunch.

 
Friday 18th November 2016
 

Tammy arrived at Sarah's Boutique just after eight thirty. No deliveries were due and the weather was likely to keep most folks indoors. She dropped a few of her things off then, with just the shop keys and her purse in the pockets of her heavy winter coat, went to the bakery.

She checked the street carefully when she returned with her coffee, sandwich and bun, having no wish to repeat the previous experience when Joanne had surprised her.

The morning went slowly but Tammy had her personal laptop on the counter and was typing up the notes she'd made in the town's library the previous day.

One of her targets had been the Electoral Roll records, where she researched the Dougall family. Paula's address had been given in the newspaper articles as 23 Caithness Court and the 2005 Electoral Roll confirmed that, along with James Dougall. She went back through the years, and found, in 1995, that a Jenny Dougall had also lived there.

She used the library computers to access an online database, much safer than using her home internet connection under the circumstances, and looked for Jenny Dougall in Thurso, finding that she'd married in 1996 a Barry Younger. So Lucas' mother was James, and Paula's sister.

On a street map she could see that Caithness Court was barely two minutes walk from St George's Park. George Smith's property was the Western side of the River Thurso on Wilson St, so Paula would have used the footbridge that then continued across St George's Park, behind the soccer pitch. She shuddered as she realised she'd also used that footbridge and cut across the park in order to reach the theatre from the town centre.

So, was Paula on her way home when she was attacked? That looked likely, but why would she be attacked? On St Valentines day too? What was the motive? Tammy searched again for Paula Dougall and found her on the staff list at the nearby primary school, in the In Memoriam section, Jenny Younger was listed as the current Headteacher.

So two sisters had gone into education and the brother had gone into crime, Tammy wasn't certain where this was heading.

She was interrupted by a customer, the first of the day.

"Hello Tammy, it's been a long time."

"Hello Ann, how's retirement?"

"It was Steven who retired, I still have all the same clubs, groups and get-togethers that I always did."

"How's Steven?"

"Bored, mostly. I asked if he wanted to join the 'knit and natter' group but it didn't appeal to him!"

"It must be hard going from a full time job, running that school, to near nothing?"

"It is, the trouble is he never had time for much else, and only recently joined the golf club."

"I didn't know he played golf?"

"He can't, I think it's the place where he meets his acquaintances."

"Not friends?"

"He never had time for friendships, he didn't have a detached social life and certainly didn't count his professional colleagues as friends!"

"Oh dear, quite isolated?"

"Indeed."

"So what brings you here, Ann?"

"I saw Sarah yesterday and she said you'd be here. How about lunch?"

"I don't think I can shut the shop?"

"How many customers so far?"

"Just you."

"And it's half-past eleven?"

"I see your point."

"Come on Tammy, pack your stuff away and lock up, if anyone complains point them at me!"

Tammy had finished her coffee and her bun as she'd worked, so slid her lunch into the laptop bag. It was then that she realised she hadn't taken the till drawer out of the safe. At a quarter to midday she locked the shop up and walked with Ann to the Castletown Hotel.

The streets were empty but there was a good lunch crowd in the bar, Tammy recognised several people and acknowledged them as Ann led the way into the restaurant. Waiting for her was Dr Steven McIntosh and Dave Brown.

"Err, I get the feeling I've been stitched up?"

"Please sit down, Tammy."

"I'm not certain I can, perhaps I should leave?"

Dave Brown spoke, "on what grounds Tammy?"

"On the grounds that I've been told to keep out of things, and I was dragged away from the shop."

"That shop has ears, and eyes."

"Is that system still running?"

"Let's assume it is."

"Oh."

"Sit down, then take a look at the menu."

Once Tammy was settled, and their drink orders had arrived, Dave Brown handed Tammy a sealed envelope. She went to open it at the table but Ann suggested they freshened up.

In the cubicle she extracted the letter and read.

 Deathtrap Letter from Jenny

So, which enquiry was this?

She really needed a wee now so it was another few minutes before she returned to the table. Francis, the manager, had been watching and their starters arrived soon after she sat down.

Tammy kept looking for cues to start discussing the questions she had but everyone was studiously eating or talking about every other subject under the sun. She relaxed, eventually, and started to enjoy the food.

By two they were done and Tammy knew very little extra, although Ann had let one piece of information slip when they both went to the ladies.

"Dave flew up yesterday afternoon, he's staying with us."

They left the hotel shortly after, Tammy was invited to join them for dinner at her former Headmaster's home, at seven.

She stepped out of the hotel with the others and spotted James Dougall, along with Lucas Younger, almost immediately. Tammy wasn't convinced she'd be identified in her heavy coat, scarf and hat but received a glare from James regardless.

Dave spotted James, "known to you?"

"James Dougall, previous for assault and attempted robbery. Paroled a few days ago."

"Ah, where's your car?"

"Behind the shop."

"Do you mind dropping me off?"

Ann and Steven McIntosh went to the public carpark whilst Dave followed Tammy around to the back of the shop, next to the entrance into Caithness Marine's office.

"Do you have your card with you, Tammy?"

"No, it's at home, safe."

"We'll use mine."

Dave swiped his card on the exterior security door and they entered the staircase up to the office, above the shop. There was another lock, requiring a code, which Dave knew.

"Let's use the meeting room, it's secure."

"Hold on, I'm not to make use of any Security Service resources or use any equipment from home."

"And you won't, don't forget that Caithness Marine is a multi-agency operation hosted by the Border Agency right now."

"So we're off the books?"

"Yes."

"What's the job?"

"Come into the secure room and I'll explain."

Looking around Tammy could see that much of the equipment had changed from her last visit and the place was clean, had someone been in here? She followed Dave and closed the door behind herself, somehow ready for this unexpected briefing.

up
414 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the plot.....

Alecia Snowfall's picture

The Plot Doth Thicken! Looks like Tammy is finally going to learn about 'going dark'. Oh what fun does Shiraz have in store for us?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Skullduggery?

joannebarbarella's picture

Why is Tammy being shoe-horned into an investigation into who-knows-what without being able to use the Security Service's tools and channels?
Could it be that there is a mole in the department?

A new toolbox?

Don't forget Tammy is not on her own, she will be mentored by Dave Brown who, I am sure, will introduce her to other channels she can use. Also, she has been reminded that the shop is still being watched - so she has an unofficial means of contacting the security service (albeit one way). What could be a more innocent place for a 'private' chat than a dress shop?

In addition, it also ensures that her assignment report only contains information that could be obtained (and checked) by anyone. i.e. it is either already in the public domain, or is obtainable by talking to people. This will also teach her not to rely on one source for information, regardless of how accurate she assumes that source to be.

Moles? or friends in high places? Remember in chapter 5 it was suggested that SIS may have become involved.

Moles

Between Tammy and the accountant fic, is there anybody left in the British secret services who is/was not a mole?

Holy b'Jesus ...

Goodness, working for such odd folk would wear me out ! Is she working or not now?

"What's the job?"

oh boy ....

DogSig.png

And it's a cliff hanger.

WillowD's picture

I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter.

The Service

It seems that the Service is quite adept at dropping Tammy into the thick of things while blindfolding her and tying her hands. At times it seems that they only really want her to use as bait, and you know what they say about that.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

No OFFICIAL investigation possible

Jamie Lee's picture

Somewhere up in mucky muck land orders have been given that no official investigation is to be held. But someone else has let it be known that while they can't engage in an official, on the books investigation, it's still possible to have an under the table one. One that Tammy has been doing.

Jenny has been giving Tammy a hard time about not investigating because Jenny is being watched, so everything she does has to be by the book.

In the letter she sent with Dave she basically told Tammy that any use of company assets to investigate will be noted and Tammy's head will roll. Plus, by not using company assets then whoever wants the investigation quashed will not be warned.

It's quite possible there is a plant in the company whose being investigated by not openly for fear of them running before solid evidence is acquired.

And because those in the know know how Tammy can't shake an itch until she gets to the bottom, they know she'll keep digging until she slices the melon wide open. Hopefully there's a ghost shadowing Tammy in case she gets to close and scares the wrong people.

Others have feelings too.