Almost A Girl Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

From The Editor. Barbie has entrusted her story to me, to edit and post. Any remaining mistakes due to spelling, context, usage or punctuation are mine. Remember, comments are the only pay the writers here get, so don't forget the "kudo" button and please comment, even if it's just: "Hey, nice story." Thank you.

CHAPTER ONE.

Gus Stall was a bully when we were in the first grade. Looking back at the last nine years, we had been in the same schools and the same grades, I could see where Gus had become… How does one say a person has become a better, smarter bully? It’s a contradiction when actually they are a worse bully and more cruel in their tactics. Gus learned over the years not to pick on the other kids when an adult could see him. He also learned to single out kids when they were alone so it was that kid’s word against his if the kid went crying to the adults. If any of the kids tattled after Gus had beat them up, the kid was in for another beating from Gus when the opportunity arose again. At some time about the forth grade Gus found there was power in numbers when Mike Ertain and Jerry McBain teamed up with him. Gus and his two buddies were the grade school Mafia, taking lunch money and extortion money from many of the other kids.

Gus didn’t try to take my lunch money until after Mike and Jerry joined his team. In grade school I was always the tall kid for my class. Even someone as dumb as Gus is smart enough to not tackle someone bigger then themselves unless they have the advantage of numbers. All that changed in the forth grade with Mike and Jerry joining Gus as the grade school bullies.

Gus had his eye on me for several weeks before the opportunity arose for him and his buddies to close in on me. My brother Elliot wanted to talk to the football coach during our lunch break. Elliot was two years older than me and in the sixth grade. I planned on meeting Elliot on the south side of the gym building and we would walk to the cafeteria together. The school yard was fairly empty. All the kids and teachers had headed to the cafeteria already.

I walked over to the back of the gym to wait for Elliot. That was where Gus and his buddies closed in on me. I saw them coming. There wasn’t anywhere to go as I looked for an escape route. The chain link fence around the school yard kept me from leaving the yard, the side door to the gym only opened from the inside not the outside. Gus and his buddies were in the only lane of escape. I did the only thing I could do. I waited, knowing it could get ugly. I knew I could be in for a beating from the three boys.

Gus stopped when he was right up in my face. Jerry and Mike closed in on either side. Gus leaned up where his nose was almost touching my chin as he looked up at me. “Give me your money Peck.”

“Not now, not ever Gus. You and Jerry can drop dead.” I shot back, before my brain remembered there were three of them. What I wasn’t prepared for was Jerry and Mike each grabbing an arm. Something they had been doing since teaming up with Gus at the beginning of the school year.

Gus hauled back and hit me with his fist on the left side of my face. Something else I hadn’t been prepared for. My mind never had that kind of situation handed to it before. It shocked me as much as it hurt.

Gus pulled back to hit me again when my brain finally kicked into defense mode. I brought my right foot up with all the strength necessary to kick a football through the goalposts. I connected before Gus uncorked his swing. Now it was his turn to look shocked. I don’t know if Gus ever had anyone fight back before.

“Oooooh” Gus groaned as he dropped his arms and grabbed between his legs.

Elliot stepped out of the gym side door when Gus hit me and was there just before I unloaded on Gus. He grabbed Gus by the right arm and spun him around. Gus wasn’t in any condition to put up a defense as Elliot hit Gus right between the eyes with everything he could put into it. I’m not positive, but I think the lights turned out on Gus at that moment, which was probably a blessing considering what I had done to him.

Mike was turning loose of my left arm as Elliot was turning loose a left on his face. Elliot wasn’t left handed so it didn’t have as much force behind it as what he hit Gus with. It still came with all the hate a brother could have toward someone beating up his kid brother. Mike went staggering backwards before he fell down on his butt. He was down and out for the count.

Jerry threw up his hands. “Don’t hit me Elliot. It wasn’t my idea.”

“You were in on it.” Elliot didn’t give Jerry a second chance to claim his innocence as he swung while he lunged forward toward Jerry.

I think Jerry was horizontal in the air before he bounced on the ground.

Elliot reached out and gently touched my left cheek. “Is it sore yet?”

I didn’t think it had time to purple up yet. I shook my head. “No.”

“It will be. Let’s go to the training room and get plenty of ice. It will keep down the swelling and stop it from getting too sore later.” He took my right arm to lead me off to the front door of the gym.

He kicked Gus on the leg as he stopped and looked down at him. “You or your friends ever touch my bother again it will be the last thing on this earth you ever do.”

“Ooooooh” Gus moaned in pain.

“I'll take that as a yes.” Elliot motioned me to walk with him.

The Principal never called Elliot or me into her office. I guess Gus and his friends decided not to tell why they were sporting bruised faces and black eyes. Maybe they did tell and the Principal figured they received some of the same they had been passing out? Thanks to Elliot and the ice he immediately put on my cheek I never got a black eye and the swelling wasn’t very noticeable. Gus and his friends never tried to bully me again. They probably took Elliot seriously; as they should. Because Elliot was two years older he was always going to be bigger, stronger, and tougher than Gus and gang. There was probably a second reason they took Elliot seriously. Elliot was a major player in sports. Elliot’s gang was most of the other kids in athletic sports. If you ain’t ever noticed, unless they are knocking each other’s brains out, athletes stick together on and off the field.

I was the second and last child in our family. Elliot and I were closer than this in more ways than one. Elliot played football and baseball and basketball and tennis and made straight A’s through the sixth grade. Dad kind of figured I would follow Elliot because everyone in our family ate and breathed sports. Mom was point guard in women’s basketball. She was also the starting pitcher in fast pitch softball in Junior High, High School, and college. I think she would have loved to play football too if they had allowed such things in her schools. Dad wasn’t the top player in baseball, and football but he was good enough to go through college on a sports scholarship. Consequently our house was filled with sports trophies from mom and dad. Elliot was adding his share.

By the time I was in the sixth grade I wasn’t doing too bad myself for a tall skinny kid. For some reason I wasn’t bulking up in muscle mass like most boys, but I had a height advantage over most of my teammates so I was the quarterback. I could stand up and toss an overhand spiral to most of my receivers and the opposing teams just weren’t tall enough to bat it down. My passes weren’t exactly pretty, but they usually went where receivers and ball met down field, most of the time.

I reached Junior High and Elliot was the star quarterback. Our coach made me wide receiver. Elliot and I were unstoppable as a brother team. I guess it was because we thought so much alike we never missed our positions or when one made a mistake the other was there, covering. That year the Junior Wildcats went to state. We didn’t win, but we came in second. It was the first time in Wildcat history our school had gone to state.

Judy Mecham was in my grade and she was a fox. Like a few girls, she matured early. She was the hottest girl in Junior High, second to none. It probably didn’t hurt that Judy was also a cheerleader. Although I liked girls, I wasn’t interested in dating them. Elliot didn’t have that problem. He and Judy became an item that year.

When Elliot moved up to High School my days as a football hero started to go south. My problems were manyfold. I stopped growing in height for the most part, my hands were too small to catch any wild passes that most of our quarterbacks threw at me, and I wasn’t gaining that much weight. I kind of faded to bench warmer my eighth and ninth year as the other boys caught up in height and weight and then passed me on both counts.

“Who you taking to the prom?” Elliot asked me for the ten thousandth time as the week of the freshman prom closed in on us.

“None of your business. Judy asked you to be her escort. Quit bugging me.” I was trying to catch up on my homework. Although it may have been our last week of school, our teachers weren’t cutting us any slack.

“Still no date huh? Listen, why don’t you go with Judy and me. She asked me to ask if you wanted to go along. She said she would dance with you.” Elliot leaned over my shoulder and pointed at one of my answers on American History. “That’s wrong. It’s a trick question. Mrs. Baber asked us that same question when I graduated from Junior High. It was George Washington, not Thomas Jefferson, who organized the first meeting of the colonial irregulars. Thomas Jefferson was the one who said they should start a meeting.”

“Oh, okay, thanks.” I erased my answer and put in George Washington.

“Now who is your date?” He wasn’t going to give me any relief.

“No one. I’m not going. It’s not a big deal anyway. Bunch of kids get together and some get drunk and some are on dope and everyone says how much fun they had when they don’t even remember.” I was hoping Elliot would stop bugging me once I told him I wasn’t going.

Elliot was headed out the door. “Okay ‘sis’, if you say so.”

That stopped me as it usually did when he called me sis. Which he had been doing for the past two years every time he wanted to get my goat. It meant instant war. I jumped up and spun around ready to charge into him and get my butt whipped one more time by my big brother, which I always did when I tried to out wrestle him. Didn’t make any difference, my honor was at stake. I wasn’t going to let him get away calling me sis without retaliation. However the door was closed as he had made his escape before he started name calling. By now he would be downstairs in the middle of the living room with mom and dad. If I followed him down and plowed into him I would get beat up by him. A whipping by dad for fighting in the house would follow. Double jeopardy meant nothing in our house.

“NEANDERTHAL!” I shouted at the closed door. Like yeah, that would really hurt him where it counted. Not.

The rest of the week was a repeat of that evening. Elliot asking who I was taking and me telling him to drop dead. He would call me sis when he had an escape planned out ahead of time.

Friday was our last day of regular school. It was only for picking up our personal stuff, books, and what ever as we cleaned out our lockers. It was the last time for us freshmen to walk into the Junior High Wildcats school. We had the Brown and White graduation ceremony the night before where they handed us our diplomas. For me, I was glad it was over. The other freshmen kids would be headed toward the Freshman Banquet at eight that evening. I’d be home watching television.

I walked over to the high school parking lot and dropped my gear into the back seat of Elliot’s Mustang. He always gave me a ride home, even when he had other things to do. Usually Judy was the front seat passenger so I unlocked his car, rolled down the windows and slid into the backseat. I figured I would have a couple hours wait, as high school wasn’t on the same time schedule as junior high this day because of the freshman prom.

Minutes later, Elliot and Judy walked across the parking lot and got in the car.

“How did you get out of class?” I was curious why they seemed to be the only two leaving the high school?

“Had permission to pick up my cousin from the airport.” Elliot started up the car and was headed out of the parking lot.

Judy giggled.

“Who? Does mom and dad know? What cousin? I didn’t hear about any cousin coming in for a visit.” I was disgusted no one had told me about any cousin coming to visit. “What’s his name?”

“Barbara.” Elliot turned up the street, headed toward Judy’s house.

I was trying to think of any cousins named Barbara. None came to mind. “Barbara who?”

“Barbara Peck.” Elliot turned on the radio and then turned it up really loud to make conversation impossible.

And Judy giggled.

“Barbara Peck?” I don’t recall a cousin named Barbara Peck.” I was shouting to be heard above the music rattling around inside the Mustang. I should have saved my breath, the music was too loud.

Elliot didn’t answer. I figured that was the end of the conversation. I couldn’t even hear myself think, much less carry on a conversation with anyone else in that car. “Could you turn it down? I think the whole city can hear your radio.”

Still no answer. I slid back into the seat and covered my ears so I wouldn’t go deaf before he decided enough was enough.

Ten minutes later Elliot pulled up into Judy’s driveway and killed the car. He and Judy slid out before he motioned to me. “Come on brat. It’s going to be awhile before Barbara is ready.”

“No thanks, I’ll stay put. How long is awhile?” I had been in Judy’s house many times with Elliot. Right now I just wanted to get home and forget school, the prom, and all the other kids.

“Suit yourself sis.” Elliot was already halfway to the house.

Judy giggled again.

I think I would have ignored him this time if it hadn’t been for Judy giggling when he called me sis. It was the double whammy that stoked my furnace and made me hot enough to want to plow into him for his remark. This time I was determined he would take it back before I finished. I was clawing my way out of the back seat of the car when he and Judy disappeared into the house.

“ELLIOT, YOU COME BACK HERE AND TAKE THAT BACK!” I was headed toward the house at a run.

I hit the front door with my shoulder as I twisted the knob. Forgetting in the heat of the moment Elliot was twice my size, twice my weight, and five or six times stronger than me; I was determined to beat the holy shit out of my brother for calling me sis in front of Judy.

Inside the house Elliot stiff armed me with his left hand as I charge across the living room toward him. Of course I bounced off. That wasn’t going to stop me. My wheels were already spinning for another charge when he held up a bunch of photos in his right hand.

“Judy, you want to see some pictures of my baby brother?” He held them out so I could see them.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I realized what pictures he was holding. “Elliot don’t you dare!”

When you’re growing up there are always pictures that shouldn’t be taken, along with pictures that should be destroyed after they were taken. I was looking at one of those pictures that shouldn’t have been taken. The picture should have been destroyed before it saw the light of day. I was in my all together in the back yard when Elliot took that picture.

“Okay, but you have to do as we say.” Elliot shuffled the pictures and there was another one where during Halloween I was dressed as a princess in a white chiffon gown. It was one of my mistakes of youth was my only defense.

“Elliot, please?” I was getting desperate, hoping against hope he didn’t share my embarrassing moments with Judy. I would never be able to return to finish school.

He pulled up another picture where, after that Halloween episode, mom dressed me up as the Red Princess for a school play. I was young and hoped no one remembered that school play.

“Elliot?” Please?” I was willing to crawl across broken glass if he would only destroy those pictures.

“You agree? You'll do as we say?” Elliot waited for me to capitulate.

I sighed, knowing I had met my waterloo. “What do I have to do?”

“Go into the bathroom and take a bath.” He was waiting for me to agree. Judy was looking at me like I was an appetizer for the next meal.

“That’s it?” I raised my right arm and sniffed. I didn’t smell. Not to me anyway.

“That’s a start. Agree? Judy, you really should see these pictures.” He hesitated as he turned partially toward Judy.

“Oh please let me see them, Elliot.” Although Judy was talking to Elliot, her eyes were focused on me.

“NO! I’ll do it.” I headed for the bathroom. I could hear the water running as I walked in and closed the door. The water was tepid and it only took me a few seconds to shed my clothes and drop into the bathtub.

I thought I had locked the door but obviously I hadn’t when Elliot walked in. He picked up my clothes.

“Wait, what are you doing?” I was ready to pounce on him and reclaim all my clothes when Judy walked in.

I did a submersible under the water. It was pure survival instinct because anyone with a brain would know that wasn’t going to hide anything. When I had to come up for air they were gone along with my clothes. “Rats!” I didn’t like the way this was going.

“There is a razor on the edge of the tub. Shave your legs.” Came through the open door.

“DO WHAT? Not in a million years.” I yelled back at him.

“Judy do you still want to see those pictures?”

“Okay, okay, I get the message. I’ll shave my damn legs.” I had no attachment to the few hairs on my legs. If that was what they wanted then that was what they would get as long as he didn’t show those photos to Judy and ruin what I had left of my life.

It didn’t take long to complete the task and I was ready to dry off. “I need a towel and my clothes.”

Elliot walked in with a large bath towel. “Here, dry good.”

I took the towel and noticed it had a funny scent to it. It took me awhile when I was drying, but it finally came to me, it was perfumed. I smelled like Judy when I finished. “Thanks for nothing. I’m going to kill you when this is over.”

“When it’s over you can try. Towel around your privates and put this on.” He held up a two piece bikini.

I stared in shock. “NOT in this…”

“JUDY, PICTURES.” He smiled from ear to ear as he held out the bikini.

“You are dead meat after this is over.” I took the bikini from him. The bottom was the easiest part. It went on first. I'd worn jock straps with more material in them than what the bikini bottom had. I adjusted my privates so they weren’t showing.

The top was next. I had to work a little at that one since it clasped in back but it wasn’t the first bikini I had ever seen so it was simple enough to figure out. The cups were padded. As tight as the top was, it felt snug. I wondered what my stupid brother and his girlfriend had in mind? “Okay.”

Elliot and Judy walked into the bathroom. Elliot motioned toward the tub. “Back into the tub.”

“For a shower?” I couldn’t figure out what kind of spray gun Judy was holding in her hand.

“For a tan.” Elliot set a small compressor down on the vanity and plugged it into the receptacle. It started humming.

“I haven’t figured out how, but you are going to get paid back. You better not ever close your eyes again.” I stepped back into the tub.

“Hold your arms out and close your eyes.” Judy walked over beside the tub with that spray thing she was holding.

I held out my arms and closed my eyes. I could feel her adjust the shoulder straps on the bikini before I started feeling a fine mist spraying on me as I heard a hissing sound.

“Keep your eyes closed and turn around.” She was spraying my legs and feet.

I slowly turned around as she misted me. Actually, it was kind of pleasant like being in front of one of the misting machines we used on the football field.

“Stop and hold your arms straight out. Keep your eyes closed.”

It felt cool on my face and neck and then on my arms. I was beginning to think maybe this wasn’t so bad after all, except the perfume smell was even stronger than before. I was wondering if they had added more to the spray? Now I definitely smelled like Judy! I was going to get so even these two would wonder what hit them!

“Keep your eyes closed for a few minutes and don’t move. Don’t rub your skin or anything either.” The hissing stopped along with the mist and the sound of the compressor humming quit.

Great, I was turned into a statue. So I just stand there in the tub with my arms spread out for the rest of the night? I could do that if that was what they wanted.

“Come into Judy’s bedroom.” Came from outside the door.

I opened my eyes. The first thing that caught my attention was I was tan all over. A beautiful golden bronze tan as if I had days and weeks of lying on the beach soaking up rays. This wasn’t so bad. I kind of liked it. At last they did something I liked for a change. I stepped out of the tub and admired my beautiful tan in the mirrors as I headed for Judy’s room. Except for the bikini I was wearing, I could accept this. I looked James Bondish, even if I did say so myself.

I wrapped the towel around me and headed for Judy’s bedroom. It never dawned on me to ask where her parents were.

Judy and Elliot were waiting. She held up a corset. “Take off your bikini and slip this on.”

I choked. “You’re kidding aren’t you?”

“Judy, you want to see those pictures?” Elliot was reaching for his back pocket.

“A real slow death for both of you.” I took it and looked it over to see how it went on.

“Turn your backs.” I figured it out which was a no brainier. The damn thing had padding in all the right places for an aspiring young girl who didn’t have the natural blessings of Mother Nature.

They both turned around. I unhooked the bikini top and dropped it. And I darn near dropped. I had a beautiful tan all right. Except where the bikini was. I had bikini lines like I had been sun bathing in the damn thing. “Cute, really cute.”

I dropped the bikini bottoms knowing what I was going to see. A beautiful golden tan except where the bottom was. I was no longer James Bondish, but one of the Bond Girls with a golden tan in all the right places and bikini lines in all the wrong places. I figured I could lose the bikini lines with summer coming on. If I could just stay out of mom and dad’s way while this straightened out I would be home free. “You two are a real pair of cut ups aren’t you?”

I stepped into the corset and pulled it up as I slipped it on.

“Tuck in your water weasel so it doesn’t show.” Came from Elliot as he turned around before I had finished wiggling into the darn thing.

Pulling it back down I did as he suggested and pulled it back up. “I hope you two are enjoying this evening because I’m going to kill both of you after this.”

“Threats will only bring more pain. Turn around and let me lace it up.” Elliot did a spinning motion with his finger.

I turned my back to him. He did lace it up. I mean really laced it up. I was the toothpaste squeezed in the middle and spread out on each end. I couldn’t breathe.

“Okay, sit in front of the mirror.” Elliot guided me over to the dressing table.

I don’t think I could have made it if he hadn’t been guiding me. The restriction that torturous device was placing on my waist and hips made it almost impossible to walk. My hips involuntarily rolled with each step.

Judy went to work on me. She put on a foundation on my face and then makeup. She lavishly laid on the mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner. Long glue-on nails were next. The fingernail color matched my lipstick which was a vivid liquid red. She teased my hair. I always wore my hair long anyway. She brought it down and gave me bangs, along with a shag style.

Elliot was busy adding pictures to his collection. For blackmail I was positive. Suntan nylons were next, which hooked to six garter straps on the corset. For the Piece de resistance there was a black satin gown. The corset was strapless and the black satin gown had spaghetti straps. I felt naked with my shoulders bare. The gown hugged every curve the corset pulled in and padded out. It also dragged the floor before I was handed heels to put on. Black open, strappy, two inch heels were last before Elliot and Judy were finished. I was living in hell as Elliot kept a running picture diary of minute by minute of my shameful disgrace.

Judy stood back and admired her work of art. “Barbara you look stunning. I can say without a doubt I’m jealous.”

“Barbara…?” I choked on that one. “You can’t be thinking what I think you are thinking…?”

“Oh? And what is that Barbara dear?” Judy’s eyes were dancing with delight.

“You tell me first.” I wasn’t going to give her any ideas in case I was wrong.

“Oh no sweety. Since you’re visiting your cousins and you are from out of town, I insist you tell first.” Judy was having more fun than what was legal.

“The prom…” I choked out, afraid I was right.

“The Wildcats Freshman prom? Oh yes, that’s right. It is tonight. I had completely let it slip my mind. I must be getting ready. Why don’t you go wait in the living room while I get dressed?” Judy motioned with her hand it was time for me to leave.

I wobbled toward the door, positive I was on the right track. Well they could just forget that idea. I wasn’t buying into it. I was going to demand Elliot take me home where… OH SHIT…, What would I tell mom and dad? 'Oh by the way, mom…, dad…., I decided I was going to the prom after all. Like my dress? Is my hair okay? Mom, may I borrow your lipstick I seem to need a little upkeep here.' Then I could call nine one one and have them resuscitated so they could pass out again when they realized I wasn’t a bad dream.

“Elliot give me back my clothes. I’m not joking.” I was headed to the living room to find Elliot and make him give me back my jeans.

I had a problem walking on those heels so I wobbled toward the living room. I had a second problem when I got there. Elliot wasn’t there. I headed out the front door to demand he give me back my clothes and a ride home. There was when the third problem reared its ugly head. Elliot and Elliot’s Mustang were no longer in the driveway.

“I’m going to kill him. I swear to God I’m going to kill him.” I turned around and wobbled back into the house.

“Practice walking Barbara dear.” Came from the bedroom.

“I’ll Barbara dear you Judy. You Witch you.” I wobbled toward the kitchen to get a drink of water. My throat was parched as if I had been in the desert all day.

“I heard that. No need to get catty just because you’re prettier than me.” Came back from the bedroom.

“No one will ever be prettier than you.” I mumbled under my breath as I stepped into the kitchen. I was positive Judy Mecham was going to be the next Miss USA when she graduated and went to college. She had all the right curves, in all the right places, in perfect proportions.

I caught a reflection of myself as I passed the black glass door on the refrigerator. It took a second to sink in as I walked on past and stopped in shock. Did I see what I just thought I had seen? Slowly I backed up and slowly the other girl in the reflection backed up. I turned to look at her. She was a stunner. She had all the right curves, in all the right places, in abundant proportions. The padding in that corset was, shall we say ample? I put my hands on my hips and cupped my fingers around my tiny little waist. Surely that wasn’t me in there? I turned sideways for a silhouette and choked. Slowly I brought my hands up and touched my hair. It was impossible to comprehend the fox I was looking at wasn’t a hologram.

“You like?” Came from the doorway.

I jumped out of my skin as I turned toward Judy. She was standing there with a housecoat on. I had nothing to say.

“We girls may not match the boys in muscle and brawn, but we make up for it in beauty and brains. I noticed you got quiet. I had to come and see why. Barbara, don’t hate us because Buddy didn’t want to go to the prom. I know he’s different and so does his brother. We love him just the same and wouldn’t have it any other way. To us he will always be a special person. Because Buddy couldn’t be dragged to his prom we decided you could take his place. You might be just as unwilling as Buddy, but we aren’t taking a no from you since you flew in as a special date and Buddy dropped out on you. So you’re going and you are going to have fun, despite what you might think and feel. I promise no one will know any different than you’re Barbara Peck, Elliot’s and Buddy’s cousin from out of town.”

“Now a word of caution. Your looks, your body we can change to a point where there isn’t any doubt she’s all girl and she’s a fox second to none. Your voice... we can’t change that easily. Don’t do a whole lot of talking tonight. You answer yes or no in a very demure, quiet voice, but that’s it, no long conversations. Now give me a yes and a no.” She put her hands on her hips and waited.

“I can’t do this.” I was ready to cry.

She walked over and put her hands on my shoulder. “Yes you can sis. No tears because it will mess up your makeup. Give me a yes in a soft, demure, quiet voice.”

“Yes” I said softly, as if I was talking to Elliot across the room in the middle of the night when we were supposed to be asleep.

Judy giggled and nodded her head in agreement. “That’s perfect. I couldn’t have done it any better myself. Now a no.”

“No” I whispered to Elliot in my mind when he asked me a question in the darkness of the room.

“My god, I can’t believe how you do that so easily. I must hear more. Tell me your name is Barbara Peck and you flew in from Dallas this evening.”

I held out my hand in a greeting. “Hi, how are you? I’m Barbara Peck, Buddy and Elliot’s cousin. I had a miserable flight from Dallas this afternoon on Southwest. Do you know my cousins, Buddy and Elliot Peck?” I said breathlessly, as if I was trying to keep from waking mom and dad.

Judy reached out and took my hand. “That’s perfect. Barbara, you have such a Marilyn Monroe breathless voice. Sweety, you’re a natural. You can carry on a conversation with anyone. There isn’t going to be a single boy or girl there who will doubt you aren’t exactly who you are. Buddy and Elliot’s beautiful cousin from Dallas.”

“Now give me a chance to catch up. I want all the boys to be watching me too, even if I am in Elliot’s arms all night.” She turned and left the kitchen.

I heard the front door open and close. Figuring it was Judy running outside for something I headed toward the living room. And walked straight up face to face with Judy’s mom.

She stopped and gave me the once over which scared the absolute living shit out of me. I figured the first thing would be shock and then “Oh Buddy what are you doing in a dress?”

She nodded her head in agreement. “Hi, you must be Barbara Peck. I have heard so much about you from my daughter. You are all she has talked about for the past two weeks. She said you were a beautiful girl. She didn’t say how beautiful. You look absolutely stunning. I can’t imagine Buddy not wanting to take you to the prom after he invited you. Between us girls…, he made a mistake big time.”

She looked down at her watch. “I hope Judy is getting ready so we can have some pictures made. Have you talked to Buddy’s brother since you flew in? Elliot should be here shortly.”

She shook her head as she stared. “Oh I do go on, don’t I? And I haven’t let you say a word. How was your flight? Did you have any trouble getting through at the airport?”

Swallowing to get the catch out my throat I tried to speak. Nothing came out.

“Oh you poor dear. Knowing Judy she didn’t offer you any refreshments when you came in. Come on into the kitchen. I’ll find us a glass of Dr. Pepper, or a Coke, or maybe just a glass of ice water. I imagine you will get plenty of refreshments at the prom tonight. I’m betting every boy there will be bringing you a glass just to say hi.” She reached out and took my hand to lead me back into the kitchen.

She held up my hand after we walked over to the refrigerator. “I just love those nails. You have pretty hands. Such long delicate fingers. I bet you would be good playing the piano. You probably already are. A pianist I mean. She traced one of her fingernails up my left arm. That’s such a beautiful tan you have.”

She turned toward the refrigerator. “What will you have, Barbara?”

“Water please Mrs. Mecham.” Came out as a hoarse whisper.

“Oh please call me Miriam. We aren’t formal around here.” She reached into the cabinet and retrieved a couple glasses, then filled them with ice and water from the door before she handed me one.

Gratefully I took it and took a sip. I was hoping to lubricate my throat and get the lump out of it. “Thank you…, Miriam.” Came out like a whisper in the night.

“Perfect.” Came from the doorway.

I turned and looked at Judy who was standing there in panties and bra. I choked. “Cough, cough.”

“Go down the wrong way? You poor dear.” An absolutely wicked smile flashed across Judy’s face.

“Judy, you must hurry dear. We don’t have time to waste.” Miriam was looking at me with sympathy.

“Okay mom. You and Barbara go ahead and visit while I finish dressing.” She turned and gave a shake of her rear as she disappeared into the hallway.

It wasn’t funny what Judy had done to my poor mixed up little mind. I was in uncharted waters and downing in emotions so conflicting they didn’t have rhyme or reason. I didn’t know whether I wanted Judy or wanted to be Judy? I headed back for solid ground. “How was your day Mrs. Mecham?”

“Let’s go in and sit while Judy gets ready. I swear that girl has no sense when it comes to time. My day was okay. I work with my husband in the furniture business if Judy hasn’t already told you. We have a little store down on Main and Broadway.” She motioned to the living room.

I took that as my cue to walk ahead of her. I tried my hardest to walk without wobbling. I let my hips swing naturally and it wasn’t that difficult. Walking over to the couch I caught the back of my dress with my right hand as I held my water glass in my left and tried to gracefully sit down without plopping onto the cushions. I was thinking the little furniture store of theirs was the biggest store in town. Judy didn’t come from poor folk. She might not live in a mansion, but I bet her parents could afford one if they wanted.

“Judy said you were a freshman graduating to a sophomore this year? What subjects do you like besides boys?” Miriam gracefully sat down on the couch beside me.

She did it so naturally and elegantly. I was insanely jealous of her and her daughter. They were both beautiful women in looks and in manners. Miriam was a beautiful woman. I looked at her hands and studied them. Not flaw one. She also had long delicate fingers and beautiful nails. I took a look at her face. The makeup didn’t cover any flaws, she was a natural beauty.

“You’re such a beautiful woman. I can see where Judy comes by her looks.” That slipped out without me thinking about it.

Miriam smiled as her eyes slightly closed. She give the slightest nod of her head. “Thank you. That was a sweet compliment. Judy said you were a living doll. She forgot to say you were so well mannered too. I’d love to meet your parents sometime. We…, my husband Bill and I, make a lot of trips to Dallas for trade shows and furniture ideas. We must get together with your parents and go out to dinner some evening. Our treat of course.”

“Cough, cough, excuse me?” I had visions of imminent disaster on the horizon. “My… my…, parents…?”

“Are you sure you don’t want some coffee or tea or something stronger than water? You seem to have picked up a persistent cough.” She looked concerned as she leaned over in my direction.

“Loyd and Linda Peck, momma. They are in the Dallas directory. I’ll call them and set up a meeting next time you and dad fly to Dallas.” Came down the hallway from the bedroom.

“Oh…, okay. That sounds great. Your dad and I are going up there next week for a trade show. Think you can arrange a dinner that soon?” Miriam turned her head and talked toward the bedroom.

“I’m sure it can be done. Barbara would love for you to meet her parents. Wouldn’t you Barbara dear?” Echoed back from the bedroom.

I was positive I was in Hell. I now had imaginary parents by the name of Linda and Loyd and my name had been changed from Buddy Peck to Barbara Peck. My imaginary parents were going on a dinner date with Judy’s parents who knew Buddy’s parents, Ethan and Sherry Peck.

“You can go with us, Judy. Be sure and invite Elliot along if you want. I’m sure he already knows Linda and Loyd. Would it be okay if we invited Buddy? Would it be possible to get Ethan and Sherry to go along?” Miriam was adding guests by the second.

“Cough, cough,” I was positive this couldn’t possibly get any worse. Now Buddy’s parents were invited along with Buddy and Elliot to meet Barbara’s parents. They couldn’t possibly be meeting Barbara too could they?????

“That is a terrible cough you have there Barbara. Can I possibly get you something for it? Hot tea maybe?” Miriam turned her attention back to me.

I was positive Judy was dying laughing in the bedroom. I was just dying period. I took a sip of water to get the lump out of my throat. It settled back down into my stomach which had turned up the acid machine. “I’m alright Mrs. Mecham. Thank you anyway.”

“Please, call me Miriam. We aren’t long on formality in this house. Bill and I are plain folk. We will look forward to a dinner date with you and your parents next week then if they don’t mind. I hope we can get your cousins and Ethan and Sherry to go along.” She was positively beaming from ear to ear thinking she was going to meet my parents in Dallas.

“That would be great.” Little did she know she already knew my parents. They most certainly weren’t living in Dallas. I was thinking I could kill myself before next week arrived. Of course my death would be after I killed Judy and my stinking no good brother for getting me into this mess.

Miriam talked about the flowers in the showroom and how she was planning on changing the layout to black panel furniture next week. She went on how it wasn’t for everyone and it would most certainly shock a lot of people. The idea was, it got their attention and drew them into the furniture store to look. That was what showrooms were for, to pull people in, even if what they saw there wasn’t in their taste.

As Judy walked into the room I know my eyes bugged out of my head. Her gown was strapless. A liquid red, it glistened and rustled with each step she took. Her breasts were perfectly poised. She had her hair brushed out so that it framed her angelic face. Her high cheekbones accented her perfect heart shaped kissable lips. She was showing more curves than possible, but they were all hers, nothing artificial there.

The skirt was a full skirt. She was wearing several petticoats underneath to give it lots of body. Her red, strappy heels were probably two inch. She walked gracefully like a ballerina, with her hips swaying gently with each step. She carried a liquid red clutch in her right hand that matched her heels and her dress. Her long dangle diamond earrings and diamond necklace accented her natural beauty.

She was a fox before. Now she was a goddess. I was jealous. There was no doubt who was going to be the queen of the freshman prom tonight. I was insanely jealous.

“You look…,” I had no words to describe her. Everything was inadequate.

“Darling maybe?” Judy giggled.

“All that and more.” I didn’t have to practice being breathless. I really was.

Judy walked over and picked up a black clutch off the end table. “Here’s your clutch. I know you wouldn’t forget it. Oh, your necklace and earrings. Where did you leave them? I think I saw them in my room. Let’s go look.”

“Judy, don’t take too long. We need to go take pictures, and where is that Elliot?” Miriam rose off the couch as she was speaking.

“I think I saw him through the window. Please let him in while we find Barbara’s jewelry.” Judy was motioning me toward the bedroom.

“I followed her into the bedroom where she picked up a diamond necklace off her dresser. “Turn around and let me put this on you.”

I turned around as she slipped it around my neck and clasped it. It was a three strand diamond necklace. I had no idea how much it cost and could not begin to imagine. Fifty thousand or more? I had no idea.

“Hold out your left arm.” Judy picked up something off the dresser.

I did as she requested and she placed a group of bracelets on my left wrist. They softly clicked together every time I moved my arm or wrist. I was fascinated with the quiet almost tranquilizing sounds they made every time I moved. They reminded me, in an odd way, more of the soothing wind chimes in the garden stores.

“Be still now.” She stepped around in front of me with a tool and pushed it up to my left earlobe. It clicked and I felt a slight sting.

“That stings.” I wanted to remove whatever it was she placed there.

“I know.” She put something into it and held it up to my right earlobe. It clicked and stung.

“That hurt.” I reached up with my left hand and felt a long dangle earring. “That’s stinging Judy.”

“I know. It doesn’t hurt that bad. You will forget about it in an hour or so. Let’s go. Momma is dying to take those pictures of hers.” Judy took my hand and led me out of the bedroom back into the living room.

Elliot was by the door talking to Miriam. He looked up and…, his eyes kept growing and growing. “Oh…,”

Miriam turned around to look. “Yes the girls do look beautiful don’t they. There, I said it, even if one of them is my own daughter. Barbara, you look divine. Judy, I’m so proud of you. Honey, you look like a living doll.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself.” Elliot was nodding in agreement. “I think their earrings are something else. They are pierced aren’t they?”

Pierced? I reached up and touched my left ear again. Pierced? I looked over at Judy who was smiling like a Cheshire cat. Pierced? That was why it was still stinging. So when I get home tonight I could look at mom and say, “Hey mom, you like my new earrings? These old things? Oh I just borrowed them for the prom tonight. I think I’ll keep them for awhile. Hello, nine one one, my mom has passed out again.”

“Okay, let’s go get those pictures taken. Barbara, would you mind riding with me?” Miriam was holding open the door.

“I’d love to.” I picked up my clutch with my left hand and held my skirt with my right. Letting my hips roll naturally, I walked across the floor and out the door ahead of Miriam.

“Un, un, uh” Elliot was muttering as I passed him.

“I bet your brother would take her if he could see his cousin now.” Miriam looked over at Elliot.

“I think my brother is taking her.” Elliot was shaking his head as he held out his hand for Judy.

“In his dreams.” Miriam headed out the door ahead of Elliot and Judy.

“That’s more true than she will ever know.” Elliot leaned over and whispered in Judy’s ear as he took her hand.

I didn’t have to do much more than say an occasional yes or no as Miriam did all the talking as she drove. Fifteen minutes later we pulled into the Kingsmen shopping mall. She killed the car and slid out.

Continued in Chapter Two.

From The Editor. Barbie has entrusted her story to me, to edit and post. Any remaining mistakes due to spelling, context, usage or punctuation are mine. Remember, comments are the only pay the writers here get, so don't forget the "kudo" button and please comment, even if it's just: "Hey, nice story." Thank you.

up
400 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Barbara Peck blossoms...

I am so glad this story will continue. It became extra good once it was between Barbara an Judy and now with Judy's Mom Miriam. I await to find out if she has a date? And how she enjoys the prom. I hope she stays around for the summer, hehe.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Almost-

I'm liking it! Somehow I think Judy has already seen those baby photos. :)
hugs
Grover

Nice start

It sounds like Buddy is not entirely against his transformation and I wonder if Miriam is really as clueless as she seems.

If Barbara doesn't blow her cover at the prom, she could end up with memories that she will look back on with fondness and mortification, just like most of the kids that will be there.

It would be a nice touch if Elliot and Judy give Buddy / Barbara all of the pictures they took as a memento for Buddy. Of course, they might keep a couple so that they can use them again. :)

One other thing

It's nice to read a story where the hero(ine) is treated in this way out of love and not out of malice. It would appear that Elliot and Judy see deeper into Buddy and know that Barbara is just waiting to appear. I know that we have not seen much of the parents, but it is possible that they might be involved in this caper as well. Regardless of Buddy's assessment of what he thinks his father wants of him.

I wonder if the parents are

I wonder if the parents are chaperones at the dance? I do believe that some friend of Elliot's or Judy's is waiting there for Barbara to appear. Regardless, I can't wait to read another chapter of this life changing story of Buddy/Barbara, which by the way is also very funny when reading what Buddy mentally says about his plans for his brother and Judy for all they have done to her/him this night.

Classic Guilt Negation

The premise of this story would work better if the author had shown some more repressed femininity in the little brother.

I was totally unaware of my own feminine character because it had been suppressed by extreme brutality and forced subjugation. Then I somehow wound up in a group for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. And as I began to remember things, is when the realization of my feminine side came to me, but slowly.

Actually many of my stories are forced fem, but I tried to show some basis for it happening. "Suddenly" is a story I wrote that is most like this one, and I will say that some people reacted negatively to it.

Keep writing and lets see where this will go.

Gwen

Dreams..

In his dreams more than she knows? From the whispering thing it sounds like Buddy and Elliot share a room, maybe sleep talking? And Elliot and Judy are really trying to help. How Judy talks about them caring for Buddy just the same and how he's a special person seems to fit

This is just...precious.

Love it.

Thanks

Edit: I can see where Randalynn is coming from, but I wish something like this would happen to me and even could. Maybe a mixture of wishful thinking/denial? Either way I really like this story so far.

Thank You

Looks like you got some great comment . I read my stories whole till then thank you for your time writing and posting the story
Kudos on a job well done RICHIE2

Nice Story

Nice setup for the story. Looking forward to seeing it continue.

Great Story

I think this is a great start to a nice story. It is a tribute to your writing ability to bring your characters to life to the extent that the armchair psychologist come out of the woodwork and attack what they perceive as shabby treatment to a fictional person. I will give the author the benefit of withholding harsh judgement until the story progresses a bit further. I'm on board to see where this will lead. I can see this as a comedy with discovery of true self along the way and not the tragedy some would suggest. However it turns out this is the author's story to tell. If one doesn't like it, one isn't forced to read it and there is no justification to leave hate mail in your wake. That sort of response should be limited to private messages.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Stay Pretty

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Poor Buddy

he got ambushed twice, almost 3 times if you add in the getting to Meet Barbara's parents in Dallas. Love the story going to read chapter 2 now

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Interesting!!

Pamreed's picture

Some more background would have been nice. I get the impression
Barbara has had some gender issues before. And some of her thoughts
show she is not totally against what is happening to her.

wow

a very nice story full of pleasant surprises though what I wonder is in store for Elliot or should I say Barbara?

Barbara

It looks like her brother figured out about her and is giving her the push she needs I wish someone did that for me.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I just saw the latest chapter of "The Huntress"

WillowD's picture

read all of the available chapters and then thought "What else has she written?"

Evidently the answer is "More good stories" judging by this chapter.