The Revenant - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Part 8

First Date

In which Martine goes on her first date and hears voices from her past… and a warning about the future…

* * *

For our first date, Andrew and I decided to meet at a local watering hole, an old refurbished Victorian Pub. Like many it had been “modernised” but many of the original features like the Saloon and Snug had been retained. We would meet about 6pm and then walk down the road to Luigi’s for our meal.

I decided to take an early day after reading the initial briefing notes. There was certainly a new method of smuggling that seemed impervious to normal investigative means. Hold on, if it was impervious how did we know about it? There was no information of any rummage searches or investigative successes, something was definitely odd here…

“Rosie, could you do me a favour and grab a tea please?” I asked Rosie Harford, a likeable blonde woman in her mid-twenties with a ready smile and apparently eager to help.

“Sure Boss” Rosie popped off to the other side of the office where the kettle and cups lurked.

“Oh Rosie, is there a brew club? I don’t want to impose”

“Well there is but while you’re getting settled in nobody is going to worry too much. Unless you gobble all the Hobnobs of course!”

“No worries Rosie, “ I replied patting my figure, “I’ve got to keep this in trim, if nothing else to keep Dr Bain off my back”.

“Well keep it quiet but we’ve been on the diet ones for a while, Vince and Andy haven’t worked it out yet and we girls are running a book on how long it takes them to realise from the evidence.”

“You mean the writing on the packet” I groaned “I thought we were an elite investigation team not missing things directly under our noses.”

“Men…” Rosie giggled as she left a cup of tea for me and I returned to the screen.

Something definitely did not add up about this case. Misdirection and conflicting information were becoming a hallmark of the case. Leads and enquiries suddenly seemed to peter out or start again in different areas. Not one drug but a number of similar types yes, that’s it, look for the similar properties rather than a broad brush. A number of drug types I felt I could omit, marijuana — no real value and given local gangs ability to operate growing facilities we were monitoring power and water usage, a simple linear statistical model was proving effective and best of all allowed passive searches so when we or the Police made the knock the surprise was all but total. Methamphetamines and “Designer” drugs? No the profit was one thing but once the raw materials were identified it was much the same as others… Whoa girl, they could be a target along with our old friend cocaine, if it isn’t the what but the how… I realised. If the means were effective enough then they could be used to hide or scramble the search methods. Then I remembered something Gail once mentioned about her work into molecular re-sequencing, changing the properties of certain substances and changing their reaction properties… Now that could work were the process to be reversible but I’d need to speak to Gail somehow and make sure she was not involved. I also needed to speak to the Boss and discuss my insight.

“Hello, you must be the missing Martine” a cultured voice said. I caught a well-dressed man just off to one side but well away from reading my notes. Quickly I encrypted the file and cleared the screen.

“Yes, I’ve just come back to work, you are?”

“Chris Matthews, I lead the team down the corridor but I’ve been assigned to review SPO Adams methodologies.” That voice, I swear I’ve heard it somewhere, now I think on it that blasted name is ringing alarm bells too. “Well, got to be going, people to investigate and amaze with our investigative skills!” with a cheery wave he was gone, leaving me wanting to wash my hands with bleach.

“So Martine, you’ve met Mr Perfect then, first impressions?” Clarice had joined us in the office like a protective mother hen with her chicks. Frankly he made me felt like the chick being invited to lunch by the fox.

“There’s something I cannot put my finger on, like I met him in a past life or something. Anyway, I need to speak with you before I leave. Privately?”

We discussed my instincts about the initial notes, occasionally Clarice raised an eyebrow.

“Sounds like you have some ideas as to where or what you are looking for?”

“Well yes but frankly it sounds more than a little Star Trek, all we need is “Unobtainium” or raw “Handwavium” because I don’t know if this technology even works.”

Clarice pressed a small button on what appeared to be a small tablet computer. A short beep and display as she ran her finger across a print scanner.

“OK Martine, you’ve identified the connection and yes the technology exists to effectively change certain drugs into other materials although only for short periods. This information is classified “Eyes Only” under no circumstances are you to discuss this with other members of your team until and unless I say so. The good news is that Andy is cleared to handle your reports. Keep Rosie away from this for the moment, she’s very new and until she has an op or two let’s let her find her feet gently. Vince is part of my team so let me worry about “The Missing Link” and for goodness sakes keep Matthews well away from things, refer him to me and leave it at that OK?” Clarice smiled as she sipped her tea. “Oh by the way, what is your guess on the girl’s sweepstake? I know Rosie has been running one since changing the biccies!”

“Well I haven’t put a date in, I’ll give it some thought this evening.”

“Really? I thought you had a meal to go to,” Clarice smiled indulgently, “Andy’s a good man and I wouldn’t want to see either of you get hurt. Take it gently and have a good time.” With that she dismissed me and sent me home.

Fortunately, I got out of the building without running into Chris again. There was something I could not put my finger on about him. I had heard the voice and the name before but was it when I was still Marty? Well what the heck, for the moment, I had a meal with Andrew and for some reason I knew it was a date as well as getting to know him better. Now there was somebody I wanted to know better, I felt a warm glow as I thought about tonight… I also felt a chill at the sight in the corner of my eye… she was back, nodding and starting to decompose.

“Sorry Hun, you are still on the clock dear. Enjoy your new found womanhood but remember now you’ve met some of the players in this game and You will decide your future and that of many of those around you. You are a nexus, your choices will shape the destiny of others and perhaps grant you a measure of vengeance. Make a good choice, I have every confidence in you Martine.”

* * *

Shivering a little and feeling the blush that had been building on my cheeks die down. Great, I get spectral cold showers too, oh goody! I walked out of the building and into the street. Taking a tram home I took a chair on the balcony looking out across the town, looking at all the innocent souls scurrying about their lives. I wondered how many of them had little voices haunting them?

Whatever, time to decide what to wear and take a short bath and clean up. I wanted a “girl next door look” but not too upfront, it was a date but I didn’t want to force things with Andy. But why did I feel soo gooey when I thought about him? As Marty I had been on occasional dates although they never had me feeling like this. Not the LBD though, no make it professional but approachable. I decided on a knee length blue skirt and pearl blouse, blue jacket and matching jewellery. Laying the clothes out I ambled off to take a short bath and prepare mentally for tonight. I did set an alarm so that even if I dozed off I would be up in plenty of time to prepare and make my way back into town.

Bath over, I patted myself dry and began to work on my makeup and jewellery. Funny, I thought, I bet no Questing Knight or Samurai prepared so much to look so casual but well turned out. Putting on my clothes and collecting my bag and jacket I checked my phone and e-mails before leaving. All in good time to meet Andy, hopefully this was going to be fun albeit my first date as Martine.

* * *

A short tram trip back into town and to the Bar we had agreed to meet in before going to Luigi’s. The Mitre was a nice restored pub and we took our drinks into the Saloon Bar and managed to find seats.

“So how long have you been on the team Andy?” I resolved to keep shop talk to a minimum but there were a few things I needed to discover about Andrew.

“Since the Boss formed it about six years ago. It’s not bad work and I’m pretty good at it according to the Guv. Oh, she doesn’t really like to be called Guv but it’s traditional and she knows we think it even if we say ma’am.” He gave a wry smile, “The team is pretty much my first post after a short stay rummaging.”

I knew about the “rummagers” their job was to “rummage” through the hiding places on ships and trucks looking for the things that shouldn’t be there. Not really popular with the Navy but they had the same attitude to drugs that we did and I know occasional blind eyes were turned to “rabbits” if the value wasn’t too far out of line and it had been a long deployment. Merchant sailors well there had been issues with them, some of them too fond of knives and violence. You did hear things but they were hushed up pretty quickly by the powers that be.

“Cleaner job than rummaging eh Andy?” I smiled.

“You bet, you wouldn’t believe the rubbish we waded through. How’s the drink?”

“Not bad although I don’t want to overdo it. I suppose the team has the occasional fling though? And I wouldn’t want to think I’m leading you astray.” He actually blushed at that, so cute I thought.

“Well we don’t have too many parties but always after an event and a good report. I don’t think there will be too many with that Matthews about. He’s new, seems alright but it’s like he’s looking into you if you get what I mean and there’s something I cannot put my finger on, it’s as though he knows about you and it makes my skin creep. I shouldn’t say that sort of thing though you know?”

“Well if asked I didn’t hear anything Andy,” I put my hand over his and looked into his deep, sooo deep, brown eyes. Hey girl, still got the meal you know! Great, bad enough I had a spectral cold shower, now she’s the gooseberry too. I heard that cheeky! I felt the smile though, I wondered if I would ever really find about her.

“So did you book a meal or can we get away with a walk in?”

“No probs this time of week Marty, Luigi can usually fit a small group in and to be honest, he doesn’t pack the place out too much but likes to leave room about the tables for everybody. Oh the good news is it’s not just a pizza place his meals are pretty OK Yah!” OMG I hadn’t heard that turn of phrase since the 90’s, I couldn’t help myself and smiled, blushed a little and looked up at Andy through dipped eyelashes. You are sooo girly!

“Well let’s go up to Luigi’s eh?” Andy stood and helped me out of my chair. Oh a gentleman, let’s see how this goes… “Oh I never asked, is there anything you can’t eat? Sorry I should have checked.”

“No the only thing I can’t eat is cheese. Odd allergy but there you have it. I have to be careful in Italian’s” I blushed, “I mean careful with the food.”

Andy blushed too!

“Oh I’m so used to it that I never really give it any thought, just read the small print and carry a magnifying glass! Of course, I love Japanese and Chinese food so perhaps…”

“You mean if tonight is OK we could have another meal or something?” Andy actually looked hopeful at the thought that date number two was on the cards if he was a good boy.

We walked down the road, the weather being pretty warm and dry and towards the sign marking “Luigi’s — Italian Meals”. I had the naughty thought “just lika mamma used to make” but controlled myself as I leant into Andy’s side. Odd I thought, it felt so right and I couldn’t think of anywhere I would rather be.

“Hey Luigi, table for two, menu and a bottle of the good cooking wine eh?”

“Senor Andy, finally I see you with beautiful lady, per’aps you finally weakening yes?” A stout, moustached greying man appeared from the bar. “’An who is the lady somebody nice yes?”

“Luigi, meet my new boss, Martine Edwards, just taken over a team at the office. She made the news a while back, remember that poor pair of people who got shot?”

“Scuse, now I remember, you feeling much better yes? Tonight, for you on the house. This reprobate gets ’is bill anyway ‘an ‘e can pay double, OK?” Luigi gave a broad smile at his own humour.

“Thanks, Luigi was it? I’m Martine Edwards. I’m new in town and still finding my feet.” I took the hand Luigi offered, a nice firm handshake and a warm smile.

“Well this is best Italian in town, not like those pizza and pasta places sellin’ overpriced undercooked rubbish. Come I get you seat, this way please.” He directed us to a small discrete booth toward the rear of the restaurant and left us with the menu.

“Oh Luigi, Martine didn’t mention it but she cannot eat cheese.” Andrew said as Luigi assisted me into a straw covered seat in front of a small table with that almost compulsory red and white checked table cloth Italian restaurants all seem to have.

“Really? Is not so uncommon as you may think. Luigi and chef can fix easy. I bet other places just throw cheese and ‘ope for best? Here we can make menu fit you no worries Senora Martine. Leave it to us.” He gave a warm smile, so unlike my experiences with other restaurants where I was treated as a necessary nuisance.

I sat back and chatted with Andy as we waited for Luigi or his waiter to bring a menu. “So tell me Andy, this may seem odd but where do you take your holidays?” He looked a little uneasy at this, “It’s OK, I tend to potter about at home and take the occasional walk, I’ve never been a lie on the sands and tan girl” I tried to put him at ease and the truth was I hadn’t taken a real holiday in years, camps with Scouts and the like but even that had become rarer over the past few years.

“Well truth is like you I just don’t travel like I used to. I have a friend who gets me to pet sit at their cottage, they go abroad on business and let me use their cottage for a week or two so it’s sort of a cheap deal but not what you’d call holiday I suppose.”

“It’s not by the coast is it?” I remembered my dreams when I first woke up…

“Well yes, not a tourist trap sort of place, just like a fishing village time forgot. I think the harbour silted up and all the boats pretty much left after that. Not really viable to try to make a living with a rowing boat I suppose.”

“Sounds nice, maybe we could have a run to the sea sometime, it would be nice to visit somewhere off the tourist route.”

“Why not? We could always visit later in the year. They’d be surprised I had company but Bob and Gina, that’s their names by the way, are pretty friendly folks.” He looked uncomfortable, “Oh I did ask the Guv to run a quick check, can’t be too careful you know.”

“Scuse.” A young waiter appeared with the menus, “Luigi ‘E say try the baked White Fish with pasta. Is OK for you and you’ll love it or you may try a nice salad with it?” He grinned trying to introduce me to some strange Italian Salad conspiracy.

“Sounds great, yes please I’ll take the salad option. Andy?”

“Just straight Bolognese for me please.”

“Andy” I looked straight at him, “Where’s your sense of adventure? Come on try something new.”

“Maybe next time Marty, this is my treat after all.”

“Ok” I giggled, OK so I am becoming a girly girl on occasion. I think we both had the good grace to blush a little as we talked about life outside the office. Obviously I had to be a little vague but thought I would chat with Clarice about my transfer tomorrow. It seemed we shared a number of hobbies although his idea of music told me that an iPod and earphones were in my future if we went out together and he was driving. Well the old rule was he who drives get to choose the music and Andy was about to be introduced to Mozart and classical music. Hey a girl is allowed to change the rules for her benefit so just keep him on his toes. Thank you, I thought acidly, and you had best get used to classical music too! Oooh, get you Hun, actually didn’t you check the apartment? Well I did see the same taste in DVD’s, you mean we’re really quite alike?

“Marty?”

“Sorry, I must have been miles away,” blush rising I could feel my cheeks burning, “I must seem a bit of an airhead sometimes.”

“No you looked lost in thought and I think your fish is coming. Luigi didn’t need to poach them from the local reservoir this time.”

“I ‘eard that bandito!” Luigi boomed.

“Hey I never said your cooking was ever less than fantastic Luigi, it’s Just…”

“Don’t even think it” he scowled but his eyes were bright with humour. “Senora, your fish, enjoy. Now I go spit in 'is pasta!”

“OK Luigi, I’m sorry.” Andy laughed as Luigi and I finally gave into the temptation to break into laughter.

It took us a while to stop but the wine was certainly crisp and most enjoyable with the meal. The meal itself was simply divine, the cooking was everything Andy had promised. I found myself scraping all of the rich sauce from the plate.

“Thanks Andy, that was a great meal. If I had never been told about this place I don’t think I would ever have found it.” I found myself looking deeply into his eyes, my I found myself wanting him… Whoa girl, time out here, first date alert!

“Well the company was lovely, fancy a sweet or shall we just have coffee and I’ll drop you off home.”

“Oh coffee please, then I think I’d best get home. Don’t want to find I’ve left a shoe behind and my taxi turns into a pumpkin.”

“No danger of that because I think it means I’m the mouse and you don’t like cheese.” He laughed easily at the allusion to Cinderella.

“’Ere you are Senora, coffee an’ biscuits. Enjoy, I get this oaf ‘is bill. ‘E behave ‘imself?” Luigi appeared in an instant.

“Come on Luigi, you know I am the perfect gentleman.” Andy smiled and almost winked.

“You better be or you be washing up for weeks to come.”

“Not me, I don’t want dishpan hands!” He looked straight at me. “Here’s to you Martine, a lovely person and hopefully a great boss.” He tilted the coffee cup towards me with a grin.

A warm glow passed through me as I returned the toast. “Thanks Andy, it’s been wonderful. Don’t forget to pay Luigi, you don’t want to find a horse’s head next to you tomorrow!”

I got my coat as Andrew settled up his bill, giving Luigi a brief hug and thanks for a wonderful meal. As all this occurred, another shadow appeared in the corner of my eye. A small group of chatting people about a larger table covered with food, one of the party seemed there in outline. Frankly I put it to one side, we had a wonderful evening and I was not going to let the shadows fall between us. However, I was going to have to be more observant and was not going to raise these with either Andy or Clarice unless I wanted to find myself inspecting the fit of those nice sleeveless jackets that tie up the back…

A short walk brought us to the Taxi Rank and we swiftly found one. Andy took me back to my place first and giving the driver a tip to wait for him walked me to the door of my apartment. He’d already declined a cup of coffee perhaps correctly deciding that he needed to be at work on time and a late night early in the week was not a good idea.

What was a good idea was the kiss and hug we shared in my doorway. “Thanks Andy, that was a lovely night. I hope we can do it again sometime?” My kiss had been rather sisterly but held the promise of nicer things to come.

“And to you Martine, I’ve not had a night like that.” He still looked a little shy and unsure but I wasn’t I felt as though I had known Andrew for years and could almost predict how he would think. Actually I had never felt that about somebody else and the feeling while a little confusing was certainly not unwelcome.

“OK, see you tomorrow, remember I’m on part-time duties for a while but I hope to be back up to speed soon. Keep me posted of anything I miss please?”

“No problems Martine, I’ve got your back. See you tomorrow, best get back that Taxi I’m part buying will probably have me working overtime for months to come.” He smiled warmly as he left me and I closed the door and walked across the apartment.

Kicking my shoes off, I smiled at the feeling of freedom as my tendons stretched. Heels may help my legs look good but not wearing them too long was probably a good idea. Removing my other clothes I hung them up and placed my blouse and other smalls in the laundry basket. Wrapping a towel gown about me I pattered barefoot across the floor before I remembered where I had put my slippers. Heavens that bare floor was cold! Hopping onto the sofa with a cup of chocolate, I curled up and thought back upon what had been a really lovely night. I wondered if I had come on a little strong to Andrew but that was the strangest thing about that dream and it seemed so right to ask about it. It was as though we completed each other and I felt that warm glow as I realised that could hopefully be the case.

Then I felt a shiver as I remembered the “Shadowman’s” threat to hurt what I loved. I thought he meant Gail but could he mean Andrew? Perhaps, or perhaps nobody knew I was originally Marty Harrison and our merging created a new, stronger person? Of course, that was how I spotted the issue with the investigation. I needed to look at original reports and perhaps gentle chats with the people involved. I would run that past Clarice, something about her made me trust her, an inner drive or strength of will. I would have to stay observant about things and work my way through the mystery that put me here. Also, of course, I would try to find out who both of these people, Clarice Adams and Chris Matthews, why and what were they fighting over?

1 “Handwavium” — A common element on Star Trek and the likes. A sort of waving of the hands and “Don’t look too closely at this because the story needs it”. Think warp drive in Star Trek.

2 “Unobtainium” — A material that could speculatively exist but probably does not and whose properties can change to meet the needs of the story. E.g. “Cavorite. In general a material specified by engineering/science facilities and unavailable to purchasing.

3 "Rabbit" - a Royal Navy term for presents brought home after an overseas deployment.

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First Date for Martine can

easily spell trouble for her and her friends, but who would want to?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Okay...

Sort of throws the original dream from #2 back into confusion, if I'm remembering it right. As I read it, the Andrew that Marty was "remembering" wasn't the person walking the dog on the beach. And if he had been the one, she certainly had a good enough look at him in the dream that even if that memory had faded, she ought to have found her new team member Andy vaguely familiar in appearance and voice.

Speaking of such things, I assume that if Matthews' voice was the one she'd been hearing in her head from Shadowman all this time, she wouldn't be having trouble identifying it. Marty guessed last chapter that he was someone from her past as Martin Harrison who had unfairly saddled him with blame for something at work. But if that were the case I'd have thought Marty would have a more clear memory of the man than we've seen here.

(So far at least, we haven't seen Marty losing Martin's memories; he certainly remembers who Gail is and what she does for a living. I suppose it's possible that'll happen, but it'd make Shadowman's offer even less welcome, and Marty doesn't seem to be getting Martine's old memories as a replacement, just her advice.)

One more note of caution, as Marty goes head over heels for Andy: it's possible that he's on Shadowman's side. Clarice said that he provided the gnomes (and the cocaine?) with which they framed Martine's shooter, and both the beach guy in the dream and Andy on the date talked about walking the dog for a friend or friends at the beach house -- something that struck me as ominous before.

(Of course, we still don't know who or what caused Marty's shift. Maybe that's where "Bob and Gina" fit in.)

Eric

Well, looks like...

Martine's settling into her new existance, still more questions an answers. Like the story so far Sunwolf, keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

I clicked the "Good Story" button, BUT,

It's not a good story at all but a GREAT STORY so please keep them coming as I am eating these chapters up lol!

Vivien

More Please??

I hope to see more of this story, although it's been nearly 18 months since you last posted.

Joanna

Yes, you are quite right

I am sorry that I have rather neglected this tale. I have written another chapter but it still needs a bit of polish. The odd thing is I've got the ending down, I just need to navigate there. No spoilers though! I will keep working on it so don't worry. The only cloudworry I will get there. Thank you for taking the time to read it and I am happy that you are enjoying it.