The Revenant - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

The Revenant - Part 2

In which Marty begins to discover who he is but how and why?

Having been shot, or did he dream that, Marty wakes up in a very new body and seeks to discover his/her new world. Who is she, what is going on? Did he die or dream?
Read on gentle reader but there are other chapters to come...

Dream a little dream of me

I woke with a start, still secured on the bed. Familiar feelings of my body were gone, parts north were definitely larger and I could see two further bumps that told me my nipples were erect. Parts south were rather more conspicuous by their absence, no hard feelings (see I can joke about it) from my normal body. I wondered, could you fall asleep in a dream and if you woke up were you in the same one? Not much point considering that because I was definitely in a female body. Who am I? I suppose if this is a dream I’d best play along and if it were a nightmare I could expect the bogeyman sometime soon although frankly having a new body and gender swap counted in the nightmare category for me.

One thing I noticed immediately, the gown I was wearing felt like it had been made out of sandpaper! Now I understood why women really like soft, smooth clothes. Oh heck I thought, at some point I have the dance of the shoe fairy to perform — high heels etc. As for the other thing, I hoped I would have more time to get used to things before that “monthly visitor” put in her appearance.
The nurse appeared, “Good morning! How are you today?” a cheery voice that made me smile and croak a reasonable reply. “Hi, I think I feel a little better. How long do these stay?” I gave what I hoped was a nice smile to go with it. I really did not want to stay tied to a bed. Besides, there were tubes etc in places I really did not want to think about.

“Well that will depend on Dr Bain but I think we can dispense with those things. Possibly even the IV’s too as it looks very much like you are well advanced in your recovery. You had a very strange set of scans when you came in but they all seem normal now.” She gave another bright smile and asked “Ready to try your luck with Hospital food? It isn’t true that it is all bad. I’ll get you a menu and you can choose but I will make some suggestions as you’ve not eaten solids for a few days”

“Ok that sounds reasonable to me. I’m sure the food here isn’t like the rumours. Sorry, I’m being rude… I didn’t catch your name?” I hoped the food was better than the rumour mill made it and looked forward to the tastes of real food. I wondered if food would taste different. Well only one way to find out about that but who am I?

“Sure thing, Ms Edwards. May I call you Martine?” This grey eyed auburn haired angel gave me my first bit of info. “I’m Angela, I’ve been looking after you sine you got here and you are looking so much better already dear.”

Score! At least my first name is pretty similar. Now if I can get to my purse I can find out more about me. Is anybody missing me?

“Oh, sorry, have I had any visitors? You know, family and that?” I asked hopefully.

She pursed her lips and shook her head. “No, sorry I don’t think you have any family. We tried looking just in case but your new Boss has been asking about you.”

Why would my Boss be interested? Where do I work that a NEW Boss is interested? Who is he?

As promised, Angela removed the straps and while I rubbed my wrists back into life she popped out and returned with a cup of tea and a yoghurt. Solid (well sort of) food and it tasted truly heavenly. Perhaps changing bodies had made a difference to even how things tasted. Well either way it was just what the doctor ordered so to speak.

Dr Bain was so not what the doctor ordered however… Oh he was a nice enough chap, late fifties and looked reasonable enough but needs to work on his bedside manner. He breezed in, barely introduced himself before hmmmms and ahhhs indicated he was at least giving the impression of reading the notes. Really, he reminded me of Sir Lancelot Spratt in those old “Doctor” movies. You know the ones, treats patients as a necessary evil but HE is the doctor and does not want to be disturbed by you daring to have an opinion or tell anything about your symptoms. He DID allow the assorted tubes and pipes to be removed and was reasonably gentle too so I forgave the 1950’s trip as getting rid of them made me feel almost human again.

“Now Ms Edwards, how are you feeling?” He suddenly changed tack and became more animated.

“OK I guess, some things are a bit hazy though. Like I cannot remember simple things for example I cannot remember where I work but I’m sure that will all come back.”

“Indeed, you had quite the trauma. Your wounds were not as bad as we feared when you were brought here although I must confess your MRI scan was most unusual. It appeared at first as though your brain was trying to deal with two personalities although clearly that cannot be the case and certainly you appear quite normal now. Your injuries have healed very well, in fact extremely well considering and we kept you in an induced coma simply to assist your healing process. That is why you had all the plumbing and I’m quite sure you are glad to be rid of it. A few days rest and we can look at letting you go home.” He gave a gentle smile so at odds with his previous demeanour that I wondered if there were two of him. Good doc and bad doc!

“Home” I whispered. Of course I didn’t know where that was or much of anything else. Now… where to find some info without looking the complete drip… Of course! A lady has her world in her handbag! I wonder…

“Angela, did my handbag make it here? I don’t think I’m ready to face the world yet but it may help me to remember things a little better.” I gave another gentle smile and hoped she would not think I am trying out for the Funny Farm just yet.

A light laugh and that smile that if I were still in Marty’s body would have had me trying to make a pass at her. I’d get shot down of course, I never was under illusions about that but I hope she doesn’t realise that I’m quite the phoney right now.

“Of course Martine, here it is” she passed over a neat black bag that she extracted from the bedside cupboard. “I don’t think you are ready for makeup just yet though. You still need to recover a little more.” Did she suspect something? Had I let something slip?

“Thanks Angela, I’m sooo not ready for makeup but I’d settle for a nicer nightie. I think this one came from Homebase!” I wrinkled up my nose a little as a smiled at the thought of discussing clothes in the future.

“I know, “ she gave a sympathetic smile, “unfortunately hospital issue like that doesn’t tend to be the most comfortable. They are chosen to be quite hard wearing instead and are not the most flattering. I am sure we can help you get one that is more comfortable. Perhaps from home or we can arrange to buy one if you like.”

“OK, oh shouldn’t the Police or whatever be seeing me now that I’m awake? I know my memory is a bit iffy but they are going to have some questions aren’t they?” I was worried that they may think me delusional or something and I really could not remember much from before.

I took a brief look into my handbag. The “normal” Oh how can I call this normal? A small makeup bag, items of shall we say… use your imagination oh I am sooo screwed. OMG I can be! I put that thought well away into the “look at that one with a glass of wine” category. A purse, containing credit cards, phone and some other documents. A Drivers Licence, some keys. Oh Lord, where have I left the car?

“Angela, did I leave a car parked somewhere? Or has it been towed away? Oh, I’m being silly aren’t I? The Police would want it for the investigation.”

“No, I think some of your memory is coming back but yes, the Police have your car. They will arrange for you to get it back when you are discharged. Really, there is nothing to worry about.” She gently pushed me down onto the pillow, “Now get some rest, this is all strange to you. Waking up in a Hospital and not really remembering who you are and what happened.”

“Hmmmm….” I felt my eyes grow heavy and again sleep took me.

***

I looked about me, I was standing on an open sandy beach, waves lapping at my toes. Feeling the soft sand, I looked down and saw two slender feet and ten brightly painted toes. What the…. Behind me, footprints stretched along the wide beach already being washed away by the waves. Seabirds wheeled about raucous cries filling the air as they dove down to land gracefully on the grey sea.

A growing wind whipped my white sundress about my legs causing me to pull my cardigan closer about my shoulders. As I wrapped my arms about my chest, I felt the pressure on my breasts and thought how wonderful it would be when Andrew finally took me in his arms. Just a minute… Who the heck is Andrew and what is this? I’m a MAN! Things faded as a wave crashed into me and everything went white…

Colour bled into the white haze and resolved itself into a café. I was sat at the counter sipping a coffee when a man sat next to me. I couldn’t see his face but something felt so very very wrong. “I can give you what you want” a smooth voice offered, “you miss the thing you have lost and I can return it. All you have to do is a little favour for me and you can go home.” I shivered at the undertone in his voice, the unspoken threat if I did not do this favour. I opened my mouth to speak and realised he was gone. I never saw his face and had the impression that he could sound anyway he wanted.

Back on the beach, two sets of footprints… But just me walking in the surf. Water lapping and tickling my toes, when did I become ticklish… a man walking towards me. A chocolate brown Labrador playing in the surf getting her paws wet and delicately lifting them out of the water. I remembered having a Labrador, Tess who had the same mannerisms…. No! She died years ago…. Am I….am I… Dead?

“Hi, don’t mind Sal, she’s a gentle girl and likes her walks.” He was a slim, lightly built man with deep brown, almost black hair and brown eyes that had such a depth to them I found myself getting lost looking into their depths….

“Are you OK?”

“Wha….. Oh sorry, I got a bit lost in my thoughts” I blurted. What DID I think I was doing? I’ve never, ever reacted like this… is this a nightmare or am I going mad? Or am I really a girl?

“Sal likes you” he smiled warmly as I felt the nose of the dog nuzzle into my hand, “I’m walking her for a friend but the exercise does me good. Well got to be going, Sal’s starting to miss her breakfast.” With that, he strode off along the beach, humming a tune that I thought I knew but couldn’t quite remember. The sound of the waves embraced me again, they were sooo restful and the view faded…

I was back in the Café, sipping a coffee and wondering about what was going on as HE sat down next to me again…

“Have you considered my offer dear?”

“What offer and what do you want? Who are you?”

“A friend you did not know you have young lady…”

“What? You haven’t answered my questions and I’m certainly not going to just do something for somebody I’ve never met and what is it you are trying to get?”

“You’ll see and in answer to your question… yes, you will give me what I want and I will return that you have lost”…

***

I awoke covered in cold perspiration, my sheets and nightdress wrapped about my body and shaking with nerves. Lord I had not had a nightmare in years and now I find they are like buses. Nothing for ages and then loads all a once…

I lay back and tried to get some rest.

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay....

Honestly this did nothing to quell the questions I had from the first chapter.

Someone mentioned sinking an aircraft carrier and its fleet...I think that is a bit small, perhaps sinking the entire US navy would be a more accurate representation of the amount of questions this leaves me with. But once again, Sunwolf, your style of writing is such that I am more than willing to wait for the next part rather than just dropping the story.

Can't wait for the next chapter,

~Val

All in good time...

I have reasons for that but I will, I promise, answer most of your questions. Thank you for your very kind words, the tale is slightly autobiographical and Tess was my beloved Dog. I am in the course of making a decision about the ending (I have written two of them for reasons that will become clear). I hope to post the next installment when my muse stops having tea and crumpet... :)

I was going to allude

Extravagance's picture

to ALL the worlds warships (and non-warships) being sunk by a group of enormous satellite-mounted energy weapons (Imagine Blofeld's diamond-encrusted laser satellite from Diamonds Are Forever).
There are still many questions floating around, so by all means, confiscate the crumpet from your muse... ...I will be happy to care for it. :)

Oops! = ) Did I say that last bit out loud? ^_^

Catfolk Pride.PNG

The Revenant - Part 2

So, Who or what wants him/her to do what? Is it his male ego trying to live, or perhaps an evil spirit seeking a way into a body?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ok, then go...

Kick that tea drinking muse in the crumpets and lets get cracking on chap.3 . LOL I like it so far, so keep'em comin'! (Hugs) Taarpa

Some questions partially answered, new ones arrise

* * * MINOR SPOILERS * * * *

From her name it almost sounds like she's a female him.

Also sounds like she lost a loved one, Husband?, and someone the Devil? was bargaining for her soul or for her to corrupt someone in exchange for returning what she lost?

Or was her lover kidnapped and if she did this *little favor*? IE a mundane reason for the attack?

Also she is a sexually active girl, on the pill and or condoms as well -- the stuff she *blanched * at seeing in her purse.

A big reveal this chapter, at first there WERE two minds in her head.

Hers and his I assume.

Did the induced coma kill off her spirit as it was in shock from the invasion of his or is she dormant in there. Her memories are clearly accessible to him.

Who is her boss and who is she in life?

THOSE seem very important. It would explain the weird memories and why someone wanted her dead.

But as others have said a FLEET of loose ends here. And THE ELEPHANTS IN THE ROOM a how did he end up in her body and is her personality still alive? Is there a purpose to their being in her body? Have they somehow merged due to the induced coma? Or will her personality awaken and they will have to fight or cooperate to survive?

That he seems to be seeing and feeling things thru her memories they have at least partially merged IMHO. O could they be each other but from alternative time lines/universes brought together by this stranger? The stranger who promised to return what she so missed in exchange for a *favor*.

But very nicely told.

Please to continue. You have my full attention.

John in Wauwatosa back from the funeral and get together for his older -- 60 years old -- cousin Gary.

John in Wauwatosa

Not bad but I really don't want to spoil the surprise...

Spoilers dear reader! The "plot holes" are mainly the information Marty does not have yet and when she/he finds out then I will explain. After all, none of you are the kind of readers who look at the ending first. I promise that many questions will be answered but some others will deliberately be left as I may want to write another story later and I have plans for one of the characters you have yet to meet...
My sincere thanks for all your kind comments and I will be working on Part 3 "Baby Steps" (Provisional Title) very soon.

Sunwolf

Well... to me it seemed like

Well... to me it seemed like both minds were active. She certainly reacted like a girl most of the time only for his thoughts to chime in and remark how freaky the whole thing is? I mean who wakes up after being gender changed and the first thing you think about is how much periods do suck?
The whole thing seemed rather spiritual, but I don't think the dream was about the devil. It would have said what it wanted, I think.

Anyway, great story.

Beyogi

Nice start.

My own life feels like this at times, so I can relate. Your writing style is great, and a non chronological story is a rare treat.

Gwendolyn

Any Bets...

...that Martine's "new boss" will turn out to sound suspiciously like the devilish voice from the dream?

And was the man on the beach, who's walking the dog "for a friend", part of that apparently evil plan, even though it seems counterproductive? Did Devilish Voice figure that Marty would be so appalled by the prospect of being that attracted to a man that he'd be all the more likely to agree?

One more question: given nurse Angela's name, is she involved in this on the other side?

Eric