A Weird Christmas Journey - Jane Frost

Printer-friendly version

Jason Frost was your normal college student, except he grew up looking like a girl. He never got over five foot five inches, and weighed 110 pounds wet. His mother always made excuses saying that he would someday grow out of it, but face it, he was 19 now, and things would never change.

And no matter what Jason tried, he was always mistaken for female. Cutting his hair short just made him look silly - and other boys hit on him using the short hair as their ice-breaker! When they weren’t just trying to hit him, anyway. It wasn’t as though he dressed, or acted, feminine. It was just his lot in life - his curse, as he came to see it. There was something “off”, and he could never figure out what it was.

Jason’s parents didn’t encourage it, but never really said anything to him either. His mother always used to braid his hair when he was little however. And the baby pictures of that little girl in the red jumper that were supposedly of one of his cousins looked suspiciously familiar. That thought most of all disturbed him. Even his parents wanted a girl, and eventually they did adopt one, though little Morgan never replaced “Jacie” completely.

Worst of all, the one girl he almost scored a date with in High School wound up being his best friend, and introducing him to her friends. He often wondered how many times Melissa was asked why “Jace” didn’t come into the girls’ bathroom with them. And college hadn’t gone any better. So far he had been invited to join no less than six prominent sororities.

Christmas break was finally here, and Jason just finished his finals. As he walked out of the room, he had no sooner turned his phone on, when it beeped with a text message, ‘u going home 4 the break?’ - Melissa.

Jason slid out his phone’s keyboard and, with the lightning speed of an expert texter trained for years in the hallowed halls of High School, thumb-typed back, “Hi Mel. Yeah, going 2 c my folks.”

‘kool me 2’ came the reply as Jason started for the exit. He had decided to go to California State University, Long Beach since it was only six hours to his home.

“Hope we can hang out when you get back :),” he texted back, and the smile wasn’t just a text emoticon. He really was smiling as he slid his phone back into his pocket.

“Hey, wait up!” a loud female voice shouted, and he immediately cringed. It wasn’t as though her voice was obnoxious. It was actually quite lyrical and pleasant, if she wasn’t constantly harassing him. He quickened his pace, while trying not to look like he was avoiding her. “Don’t you dare run away again.” She smiled, “I really want to talk to you.”

He started to duck into the men’s bathroom, but seeing a wall of meat in the realm of 6’5”, wearing a Varsity college football jacket enter moments before, he stopped, turned around, and forced a cordial smile. “Sorry, were you talking to me?”

She had her long, honey blonde hair back in a ponytail today, wearing a very festive white Christmas sweater and faded jeans.. If she hadn’t been such an annoying girl, he might’ve thought her quite attractive, even if she was three inches taller than him in flats.

“Yes, why have you been ignoring me? I mean really, I just want to talk to you.” She smiled at Jason, “I really think you would make a great part of Gamma Phi Beta.”

Jason cringed inwardly. ‘Here we go again’, he thought to himself. “No disrespect intended, I’m just not what you’re looking for - trust me,” he answered, trying to save the poor girl’s feelings.

“Oh come on, Jace, at least think about it over Christmas break ok?” the girl pleaded as she handed him a card with her cell phone number on it. “In case you want to talk over Christmas break ok?”

Jason sighed as he stared at the card. ‘Is she really that clueless? This is what I get for getting an apartment off-campus instead of staying in the damned boys’ dorm,’ he thought as he forced a smile. “Okay, I’ll think about it, but I’m not promising anything. Um... Have a nice winter break,” he added, his voice shifting in pitch on the end, a bit of his nerve fading in the process.

“You too!” she answered energetically, her smile brightening considerably. “Listen, if you want more information on the sorority, or if you just want to talk about anything - and I mean anything - don’t hesitate ok? I worry about you. I mean, with what’s been happening in schools lately...” She trailed off, blushing just a little before turning to race off again. Jason sighed.

He started to throw the card in the trash as he made his way out, but something in him just wouldn’t let him let go of it, so he stuffed it in the pocket of his jeans, muttering to himself as he walked out to his car. It was supposed to be a man’s man’s car - a cherry red 1989 Mustang. Somehow, it just made the ‘girl’ image worse on him. The ‘I brake for shoes’ bumper sticker some wise ass slapped on it the day before didn’t help.

He muttered to himself, “If I find out who slapped that on there I’m going to beat them,” just as one of the girls from Gamma Phi Beta stopped at the Ford Cobra next to his, “Hey Jace, you think about joining us yet?” she asked not as bubbly as the other girl.

“What’s-her-name gave me her number,” Jason answered. He really couldn’t remember the girl’s name to save his life, holding up the card. “I keep telling her I’m not what you’re looking for, but...” he trailed off.

“Tiffany, and shes a sweet girl, just a typical beach blonde girl though sometimes. She's got a big heart.” the girl answered, trying not to laugh. “Anyway Jace, enjoy your Christmas break, Maybe i’ll see you in the Bio lab again next semester?”

“Yeah, have a great holiday. Have fun on your ski trip too,” he added. “I’ll be lucky if I see snow before I graduate.”

The girl laughed, as Jason slid into the driver’s seat and pulled away, mumbling again ‘Finally away from those girls.’

As if on cue, Tiffany honked her horn as she passed him, driving a canary yellow hybrid. She smiled, waving as she passed him and proceeded to the next turn-off. Mercifully for his nerves, his route took him straight-on ahead.

Jason pulled off the highway at the gas station near his home. His tank was at half, but he always liked to keep the car full, unaware that most of the male customers at the gas station were checking him out. “Can I get a fill up and um two chocolate bars?” he asked the guy at the full service station.

The man smiled warmly - probably the one person who wasn’t ogling Jason, as he nodded. “Sure thing. Want the oil checked while you’re here?”

“Please, that would be great; I haven't had a chance to check it myself.” He smiled as he paid the man with a 50.

“Yo, Ricky!” the man shouted. “Get off your butt and check the lady’s oil, would’ja? I’m not paying you to read Playboy all day!”

The younger man, about Jason’s age, with scraggly brown hair and day old facial hair grumbled as he dragged himself to the front. He perked up at seeing Jason. “The red Mustang?” he asked. “That’s a damn fine car.”

“Thanks. It was a graduation present from my dad when I left high school.” Jason answered proudly. The one thing he really took pride in was his car.

Ricky laughed. “Man, that’s so not fair. Girls always get the best graduation gifts,” he mumbled as he walked outside. The man behind the counter snorted.

“Maybe if the kid had paid attention in school he wouldn’t be working for me for minimum wage, either.” He winked at Jason. “Don’t let him get to you.”

Jason shook his head. “Oh, it’s not him. It’s just been one of those days. Some prick slapped a bumper sticker on my baby. If I find who did it they’re dog meat.”

“A bumper sticker on a red Mustang? Oh God kid I’m sorry. Want me to see if I can get it off for you?” the man asked sympathetically.

“I might just have to have the whole bumper replaced. It’s more expensive, but less a pain in the ass than leaving sticky-marks all over it. But if you think you can get it off, that would be awesome.”

The man walked outside and a young woman stepped out of the office to take his place, a few moments later he returned. “You’re right; it might be best to replace the whole bumper.”

Jason frowned thoughtfully for a moment. “I wonder if I can get the new one coated in teflon?” he teased, trying not to show just how annoyed he was at the whole affair. He’d given the whole ‘Girls are so lucky’ comment a complete pass at this point. He just wanted to get home.

“All set,” Ricky stated proudly as he walked back inside. “Oil levels look good. You might want to change it if you’re planning any cross-country trips, but other than that you should be fine for awhile. So um, do you live around here?”

“Yeah, I live like a mile and a half from this station.” Jason sighed, “Thanks Ricky. Here, have a tip,” he added, handing Ricky - who didn’t recognize him at all - a 5 dollar bill.

“Wow, thanks. So do you want to maybe get dinner later? I’m off in a couple of hours.”

Jason sighed again, “No thanks. I’ve got to get off to my parents’ house, but thanks anyway.” Jason didn’t want to hurt his feelings. After all, Ricky used to be Jason’s best friend till 9th grade when he started hanging out with the stoners, and Jason met Melissa and her friends.

“Maybe this weekend?” Ricky pressed his luck. He never was the sharpest tack in the box.

“Aw, leave the girl alone,” the older man laughed. “She’s trying to let you off easy.”

Ricky blushed. “Sorry,” he said with a wry smile, and turned to head back to the back again.

Jason shook his head. This was one of few mom and pop gas stations left in California, and the dedication to service showed. “Thanks Mr. Chase, have a great Christmas.”

“You too, and tell your old man ‘Merry Christmas’ for us,” he winked.

“Sure thing.” Jason said as he left the gas station. “Great did Mr. Chase think I was a girl too?” he muttered as he started his Mustang to finish his trip home.

Pulling into his spot in the family driveway, he noticed his brother’s black SUV, “Oh God, Mike’s home.” he groaned, “I won’t get to live the bumper sticker down now.”

To Jason’s relief, it wasn’t his brother, but his adopted sister Morgan who came running through the front door, now open wide. She looked positively adorable with her reddish brown hair in red ribbons that hung down over her pink overalls and white top. “JACIE!” she cheered as she raced up the driveway and into his waiting arms.

“Hey you,” he said cheerfully and kissed her forehead. “You been taking care of Mom and Dad for me like you promised?” he asked, as he carried her inside. She giggled happily and nodded, her pigtails bouncing every which way.

“That’s a good girl. I got you some prezzies but you have to wait till Christmas for them.” Jason smiled at his favorite sibling, “What kind of mood is your big brother Mike in?”

Morgan giggled at the question. “It’s a secret?” she answered, as if asking if she had permission not to answer.

“Oh that bad huh?” Jason sighed as he opened the door, “Mom, Dad, Mike I’m home!” he called out as he set Morgan down. She giggled and raced off to her room to play.

From out of nowhere, someone grabbed Jason. It definitely wasn’t Mike - the hands were too small. The perfume smelled faintly like Melissa’s though, and the tickling of his sides a moment later confirmed it. “Hey birthday girl,” she giggled in his ear.

“My birthday isn’t for another 15 days.” Jason giggled, “What are you doing here Mel?”

“I finished my finals earlier this week, so when you said you were on your way home, I came over to surprise you,” she answered cheerfully.

“Thanks; I'm going to need it. Mike’s here before me.” Jason sighed.

Melissa nodded, grinning innocently. “Yep,” she answered simply. “He’s in the kitchen talking to your Mom right now. Your Dad’s up in his study if you want to surprise him first, and, you know, delay the inevitable,” she teased. “I can hang out if you want, too. Just like old times.”

“Would you?” Jason asked pleadingly. “You won’t believe the day I’ve had. I really just need some quiet time before the endless torture begins.”

Melissa smiled at Jace, “Girl, tell me everything ok?” giving Jason a hug.

“First, Gamma Phi wants me to join them to the point that they’ve been bugging me daily now, some asshole slapped a bumper sticker on the back of my car, saying ‘Will brake for shoes’ and well yeah.” Jason sighed.

“Oh, ow ow ow,” Melissa answered. “That’s as bad as keying it. But Gamma Phi Beta wants you? That’s amazing. You’re so lucky!”

“Mel?” Jace asked hesitantly. “I’m a guy, remember?” He paused to sigh, grudgingly admitting, “Otherwise I’d actually be really tempted. Tiffany - the girl who’s been harassing me to join for like, two months now, finally cornered me and gave me her number if I had any questions about it. They seem so nice. But it’s like the whole world thinks I’m a girl. It’s so frustrating sometimes. I mean, it’s frustrating that I’m not.” He blushed brightly.

He paused to add, “I know you do it because it’s our inside joke, so I forgive you though,” he added with a faint smile, and pulled her into another hug as he lay his head on her shoulder.

“Jace, sweetie, have you ever stopped and looked at yourself in a mirror, I mean really looked at yourself girl?” Mel smiled at him.

“I know,” Jace sighed. “Ricky Johnson even hit on me at the gas station earlier. He didn’t even recognize me,” he managed a weak laugh. “Oh, that reminds me.” He reached into his pocket, taking out one of his chocolate bars and offering it to her. “I was saving these for when I came to see you when YOU got home”

“Oh my favorite! You remembered! Thanks Jace.” Mel smiled happily as she hugged his neck.

“I sometimes wish I was a girl,” Jace admitted softly. “Just to make the stupid feelings go away every time I get ogled or ‘ma’am’ed.”

“Maybe you are a real girl?” Melissa asked honestly, “All the girls when we were in elementary school always asked why you never came to their slumber parties, and in middle school and high school they always wondered why you used the unisex bathroom.” She shrugged her shoulders thoughtfully. “And face it sweetie, you’ve got better curves than me.”

Jace laughed. “Because my penis would’ve given me away in both cases.”

Melissa laughed, “Remember i’ve seen it, and um sugar, yeah, some girls might think you have a penis, but it sorta looks like an oversized clit.”

Jace stared at Melissa for a moment, and then laughed. “God I missed you. Why didn’t we go to college together, again?”

Melissa shrugged, giving Jace a sheepish smile. “I wanted to go to Berkeley, but I’m honestly thinking about transferring to Cal State for awhile and then transferring back to finish my MBA and stuff. We could get a dorm together,” she teased. “Or live at the Gamma Phi sorority house.”

“Don’t tempt me,” Jace giggled.

“Tempt tempt,” Melissa shot back as she munched happily on a bite of chocolate. “It’s something to think about, anyway.”

Jace smiled and hugged Melissa, “I really missed you this year, its been so boring without you. I got myself an apartment near the college though, and a job at the comic store.”

“Oh, God,” Melissa laughed. “Hot girl in a comic book store. I bet you drum up a lot of business,” she teased as she continued to giggle. “I missed you too though,” she added, giving Jace’s hand a tender squeeze. Jace’s heart skipped a beat, and for just a moment, he started to lean close and kiss her, when Mike suddenly called out.

“Jace? Where are you hiding?” He sounded oddly cheerful: entirely too cheerful, and Melissa giggled.

“In the hallway!” she called, and then pretended to duck away from Jace’s scowl.

“Well get your butt in the kitchen already!” Mike shouted back. Jace groaned, sighing as he squeezed Melissa’s hand, interlocking their fingers so that she had to come, too. Though truthfully she didn’t seem to mind at all.

Melissa giggled, following Jace into the kitchen, where his older brother Mike - still as large as Jace remembered, though now sporting a much shorter haircut, stood beside their mother, and another woman Jace didn’t recognize.

She had medium length jet black hair, and when she turned to smile nervously at Jace, her soft blue eyes sparkled in the overhead light. She was wearing a pretty, white floral dress with a white jacket over it, and a diamond ring on her finger.

Jace cringed, startled, when Mike crossed the room and pulled him into a hug, leading him over to the woman. “Jace, this is my fiancé Ellen. Ellen, this is my kid sister Jace.” Mike teased, knowing full well Jason didn’t like being called a girl.

“Your sister, huh?” Ellen giggled. “It’s wonderful to finally meet you. You know while you’re on winter break you should come model some of the bridesmaid’s dresses I’m looking at - with your figure, I mean.” She grinned.

“Um why?” Jace looked nervously between Ellen and Mike and his mother, “Don’t tell me you really think I’m a girl?”

Both Mike and Ellen laughed. “I’m just teasing sweetie. Mike told me how you’ve had it rough growing up.” She smiled softly and pulled Jace into an almost sisterly hug. She then whispered, so Mike couldn’t hear, “I’m so sorry. Mike begged me to tease you, but now that we’ve met, I think you’re much prettier than me - I’m jealous.” She giggled and hugged Jace again before letting him go.

Jace blushed, “I don’t think so, but thanks, I think. Um, when are you two planning on getting married? If it’s this summer, I was planning on taking some classes, so I’ll have to plan ahead.”

“Probably in the Spring, if we can get the planning together. We already have our flower girl,” Ellen answered, “And my sister’s going to be my maid of honor if I have to drag her butt down here myself.”

Melissa pouted, giving Jace a light poke in the ribs. “Hey, what do you mean you’re taking classes this summer? I thought we were going backpacking?”

“Yeah but I fell behind in Bio Chem, I got a B- I was shooting for an A” Jace sighed.

“Ohh,” she answered with a frown. “I’m sorry. I should’ve stayed in touch more. I could’ve tutored you over the phone or online or something. I’ve always loved sciency stuff.”

“There’s certainly a lot of chemistry between you,” Jace’s mother commented casually. “So when are we going to see a ring on that finger?”

“Yeah, you girls did go to prom together didn’t you?” Mike chimed in.

Melissa giggled. “Mmmhmm. It’s just a shame I couldn’t get her to wear a nice dress to match mine,” she teased, leaning into Jace. “That tuxedo swallowed her whole.”

“Ugh. I was such a dork in high school.” Jace sighed, “Sometimes I feel like I still am, Oh mom, your old Sorority asked me to join them.”

Jace’s mother Janet’s eyes widened considerably. “Gamma Phi? Really? You said yes didn’t you?” she asked, hopeful.

“Mom!” Jace blushed then whispered, “I told them I would think about it over Christmas.”

Melissa and Janet both squealed and hugged Jace. “You should SO do it, girl!” Melissa added energetically.

“Well I don't think I’m sorority material.” Jace complained, “Seriously people I’m a boy not a girl. It says so right right on my birth certificate.”

Melissa leaned closer and kissed Jace’s cheek lightly. “C’mon, you promised you’d buy me dinner when we saw each other again. Plus I need a ride home,” she added with a giggle.

Jace, flustered, gave a small sigh and nodded. “That’s probably a good idea. I’ll talk to you guys later. Ellen, it was nice meeting you,” he added, giving her a small, almost apologetic smile before following Melissa out.

~oOo~

Later that night after a long soak in the bathtub, and promising Melissa a movie during the week. Jason got up and finished getting dressed, to head downstairs for a bedtime cup of tea, when he seen the lights on in his dad's office and some loud talking. He crept closer to try and eavesdrop on the conversation.

“Jack, how long have we been friends now? You know I wouldn’t be here if the situation weren’t dire.”

“I know Nick, but that’s my blood you are talking about. She’s not even ready to take over the family heritage.” Jack commented back.

“You need to tell her, Jack. She’s going to awaken to it sooner or later, and the way things are going, it’s going to be sooner, I fear.”

“If they wouldn't mess with things like they do I wouldn't need to work, and neither would she,” Jack sighed.

The older man sighed as well. “Yes, I know. It’s unfair to you, and to her. She doesn’t even know she’s not who she thinks she is, does she? My elves have been spying on her,” he added with a chuckle.

“I never wanted to tell her. She’s had a hard enough life as it is, If it wasn’t for that damned prophecy... I’m just glad when she was growing up you guys didn’t make the mistake of sending her girls toys.” Jack laughed.

“Ho-ho-ho-ho-ho,” the old man laughed. He couldn’t help himself. “We almost did make that mistake, back around her ninth birthday or so you know. Our lists somehow got crossed in the midst of the technology upgrades.”

Jack laughed, “I remember that. I have a bad feeling about this year though Nick, I’ll keep an eye on her and if things change I will keep you, and the rest of them informed ok?”

“I’ll let them know. I wish this didn’t have to be this way, and - ideally, perhaps there’s still a way she can live her mortal life. You know, sort of like a part time job? We’ll have to see what happens, I suppose.”

“Things have changed since I was in charge. Who knows? You and Mrs. Claus seem to do an alright job of having a normal life after the holidays after all. Speaking of which, how’s your daughter doing?”

Nicholas gave another hearty chuckle. “Melissa’s doing just fine. The poor girl still thinks I’m a lawyer or somesuch. I haven’t had the heart to tell her the truth. She’s going to Berkeley, you know, wants to be a scientist. There’s just no room in her life for magic.”

“She was over here earlier today, but I've been so busy I didn’t have a chance to talk to her.” Jack sighed, “She and Jane get along great still though.”

“You know if those two ever admit how they really feel, we’re going to be having two weddings?” Nicholas chuckled.

Jack laughed, “If Jane can get over the fact, and Melissa realizes you don’t mind her loving another girl, at any rate. These kids these days don’t know that was acceptable when we were mortals.”

“Maybe we should introduce them to Aphrodite? It’s her meddling that put them together anyway. Speaking of which though, let me know if you want me there when you do talk to her. I owe you that much.”

“Oh no, keeping my kids supplied with presents was payment enough Nick, but If I do need your help, I’ll give you a holler. I might have Janet with me since she was the last tooth fairy after all.”

“I’d forgotten about that. I always thought it odd that you married a dentist, but now it makes sense,” Nicholas laughed.

Jack laughed as well, “Yeah what's a weather service tech doing marrying a Dentist huh?”

Nick leaned over to Jack, “I’ve got to get going, but you have a spy at your door,” he whispered and blinked out of the room.

Jason quickly left the door and headed into the kitchen to get his bedtime tea; as soon as it started to brew Jack came out of his office and joined Jason. “Hey sport, hows school going?”

“Oh, hi Dad, I didn’t hear you come in,” Jason answered, pretending to have been searching for the tea tin. “School’s been ok, except … Well,” he trailed off. He just didn’t have the heart to tell his Dad he was invited to join a sorority, even if Mike had probably already told him by now.

“So Jace, your mother tells me you're going to join her sorority?” Jack asked with an odd sort of smile. “Wise choice. The girls in Phi will help you through some of the issues...” Jack faded off and looked down at the tea pot.

“Uh huh. So is there something you need to tell me, Dad?” Jason asked, turning to stare at his father.

“Yes. What did you hear of the conversation I had with Nick?” Jack asked.

Jason slammed his fist down on the cabinet, turning fully to face his father. “Apparently I’m not who I think I am? I’m supposed to be a girl, and everyone thinks I look like a girl, but I’m not, or am I? I don’t freaking know anymore!”

“We hid you, Jason. You’re not what you think, and neither am I sport. Your mother and I made a choice when you were born, if you would have been a girl, you would have taken over the family job from me, and I couldn't have that.”

“What are you saying, dad? That you made me live a lie to protect me? From what? And why not Mike?” Jason shot out one question after another.

“Mike is a fairy; not that kind of fairy either,” he quickly corrected himself, “But the kind with wings. He took after your mother.” Jack explained..

At the ‘Mike is a fairy’ part, Jason lost all the rage he had in him. To hear those words from his father’s mouth left him so utterly shocked, that he couldn’t help but crack up laughing right then and there.

“Haven’t you ever wondered about our last name, Jace?”

“I guess,” Jace managed to giggle out. “It’s not like it’s uncommon though.”

“Jack Frost, sweetie, I am the king of winter.” he looked at Jason sternly.

“And the guy you were talking to was Santa Claus, right?” he asked skeptically. “Dad, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but when was your last CAT scan?”

“Yes, Nick is Santa, and your mother was the Tooth Fairy.” Jack commented seriously. “And I can prove I am Jack Frost.” At that, he put his hand on the counter and turned it into a solid sheet of ice.

“Jeeze!” Jace squealed, jumping back. “Okay, I get it! But... What’s this got to do with me being a … um... a girl?” he blushed furiously.

“The prophecy stated that my daughter would become the next ruler of winter, but there is a problem with that, mankind doesn’t care about us anymore.”

Jace slowly nodded. “I stopped ‘believing’ in Santa Claus in the second grade, for one.”

Jack laughed, “Everyone stops ‘believing’ in him after a certain age, but doesn't stop him from doing his job. How do you think you got everything you asked for growing up including the stuff you never told us about?”

“I figured between the two of you you could afford to hire a private investigator,” Jace answered half-jokingly.

Jack laughed, “I wouldn't spy on my own kids, I love you guys to much.”

Jace sighed and stepped closer to hug her father. “I love you too Dad, but I wish you’d told me sooner. I’ve always felt different, never quite fitting in. My best friends in high school were all girls, who could never figure out why I wouldn’t go to their slumber parties or whatever.”

Janet walked into the kitchen at that moment, “Told her what dear? and you two need to keep it down; everyone else is asleep.”

“That I’m really a girl, for one,” Jane answered quietly. “So what happens now? I don’t know the first thing about ‘being’ a girl, or being Jack - errr, Jane Frost. And, can I tell anyone about this? Besides Melissa I mean. It’s not like anyone’d believe me anyway.

“But I suddenly want to call Tiffany and talk to her about Gamma Phi Beta. She’s going to want to know why I changed my mind so suddenly, and... I don’t know,” she sighed, turning to lean on the counter, facing away from her parents.

“Slow down Jane, “ Janet sighed, “Jack why not?” She turned to Jack.

“I don’t know,” he answered. “It’s going to be hard enough telling Melissa, and she’s like us - so to speak. Telling a mortal could get dicey. Are you sure you can trust this girl, this uh, Tiffany?”

“I think she meant with other things dear.” Janet commented, “Don’t tell her anything about yourself yet till you get to know her ok?”

“Your mother is right Princess, we don’t want you to get hurt, thats why we hid you as Jason.” Jack sighed.

“Hey, that’s perfect,” Jane suddenly brightened. “I’ll tell her I was trying to hide from … Crap. I have no idea,” she sighed. “It was almost a good idea.”

“Just tell her that you didn’t want to live your mother's legacy and that I changed your mind over christmas.” Janet smiled.

“That covers Tiffany. What about Melissa? And Mike, and Morgan, and holy crap I know a lot of M’s,” she giggled a little.

“Mike knows Princess, Morgan, she doesn’t need to now, and Mr. Claus is going to tell Melissa, how she could go her life without knowing and having the last name Claus is beyond me.” Jack laughed.

“Yeah, no kidding. She’s such a science geek that I think that part of her brain intentionally blocks it out,” Jane teased.

“Well you didn’t know either Einstein.” Mike smiled as he came into the kitchen in his pj’s.

“Hey! Cut me a break, bubble butt, I was lied to my whole life, and Frost is a common name!”

Mike chuckled, “I figured it out about the time you were 11. I asked mom and dad, and they told me. Sorry about picking on you Jane.” Mike walked over and give his sister a brotherly hug.

Jane gave him a playful punch in the arm - far from hard enough to even make him flinch. “Yeah, well, what are brothers for?”

“But hey, I did keep the older boys from kicking your ass because they thought you were a sissy.” Mike chuckled and grabbed himself a glass of milk from the fridge.

“So that crack about me being one of Ellen’s bridesmaids earlier was just a slip, or...?”

“I was being serious with her, but I had to make her think it was a joke, because she knew I had a brother not a sister. I’d really like you to be one of Ellen’s bridesmaids though, if you decide you’re up for it.”

Jane nodded. “I’ll have to think about it. I mean, this is all so sudden.”

Mike nodded, “So anyway, Morgan already thinks you’re her big sister, so nothing’s ever going to change there.”

Jack chuckled, “So this is ok for you now, but when it hits you Jane, if you have any problems you have a lot of people you can talk to about it ok?

Jane nodded slowly. “Yeah. I won’t lie, I’m numb right now. I don’t really know what to think other than that I feel just... relieved that I finally know what’s been wrong with me my whole life. I mean even thinking about it, so much crap makes sense now, except … I still don’t know what’s going to happen to me now?”

“Well your hair is going to turn white, your icy blue eyes are going to shine more, and hmmm, you will be able to freeze things.” Jack laughed, “Well more than just things, you could freeze the whole planet if you wanted.”

“Errr, wait, what? I can’t go to school with white hair,” she whined.

“Just tell people you bleached it. It will look bleached white anyway.” Janet giggled at her daughter’s reaction.

“Can’t I just dye it? Maybe a nice, dark red.”

“Two days - three at a stretch is all the dye will last, it will just wash out.” Jack sighed, “I know I used to try to dye mine black again.”

“Blech,” Jane grumbled. “Okay, so um, what about my body? If I’m supposed to be a girl, I mean...” she trailed off hesitantly.

Janet grinned, “You’ve always been girly. You got the hips, butt and everything else of a girl, just not the breasts and the outer plumbing. Don’t worry; they’ll grow, and you may end up lucky and have small ones like mine. Hopefully you don’t end up with Jack’s genes though; his mom had M cups.”

“And the um, male plumbing?” she asked, trying not to think about how much having massive breasts would completely kill her back.

“You already have the makings for girl parts Jane. We used what magic we could to turn you into a boy, but it couldn’t do it 100%.” Jack sighed, “No matter how hard we tried.”

“So I’m stuck like, in-between genders?” she asked almost fretfully.

“No it will wear off eventually.” Janet replied “It’s already begun. That’s why we were going to talk to you soon. I know you’ve noticed; you said as much this afternoon.”

After a moment of silence she looked up again. “Christ. I don’t know the first thing about being a girl, or an immortal embodiment of winter. This is going to be a long winter break.”

Jack chuckled, “This used to be my favorite time of year, till I met your mother and we started having children.”

Jane looked up at everyone, “Anyway, I’m going to go to bed. Maybe when I wake up in the morning, this will all make more sense - or it’ll all be a messed up dream from drinking too much egg nog last night.” She put the teapot down turned around and walked slowly back up to her room.

Ellen was waiting at the top of the stairs, dressed in a long, flowing white night gown. She smiled at Jane as she approached. “You okay sweetie?”

“Oh I’m fine. It’s the rest of the looney bin that I’m worried about,” Jane sighed as she went into her room and closed the door behind her..

Ellen frowned. For a moment she considered knocking, but finally stepped away from the door and started down the stairs. Mike turned to wrap her in a hug.

“Ellen, honey, there’s something that I need to tell you, about my family and my sister, Jane.”

~oOo~

Some time during the night, Jane thought she heard footsteps in her room. She sat bolt upright and turned on the light, but there was no one there. There was, however, the faintest smell of gingerbread cookies on the air. She grumbled, rolling over and going back to sleep.

The next morning, she woke to find a small snow globe that was definitely not there before. She picked it up carefully, and as she shook it, the ‘snow’ swirled around a little figurine of a girl in a pink coat and knit cap with white hair, ice skating on the middle of a pond.

What she failed to notice was that she had a small amount of weight on her chest: nothing to write home about which was why she didn’t notice it yet. She got up, put on her heavy flannel robe, and walked into the bathroom to relieve herself like every morning. She went to reach for her manhood, and screamed when she noticed it wasn't there. “Holy shit!”

Janet quickly came running at the scream, knocking on Jane’s bathroom door. “Honey, is everything ok?”

Jane was sitting on the toilet with tears in her eyes, “No mom, nothing’s alright! You and dad weren’t lying.”

“No, honey, we weren’t. I’m so sorry we kept this from you. We agreed that it was for your own protection, but... We were wrong to lie to you all these years,” Janet answered, trying not to completely lose it. “Janie I’m so sorry.”

“No mom, It’s ok. But oh God, I really am a girl,” Jane sobbed from the bathroom.

“Yes you are honey,” Janet answered, leaning against the door frame and putting her hand against the door. “I’ve wanted to tell you. Gods how I’ve wanted to tell you the truth, but we were so frightened of losing you. But Nick, bless his heart... He was right. We shouldn’t have done this to you, and I’m so, so sorry.”

“No, Mom, I mean... The spell wore off. I’m a GIRL!” Jane answered. “I’m a real girl!” she added more enthusiastically. After a moment or two, the toilet flushed, and Jane quickly washed her hands before throwing the door open. Janet threw her arms around her, holding her tightly close.

“You still look like the same person, but you got noticeable bumps on your chest now dear.” Janet smiled and kissed her daughter's cheek.

“And um, different plumbing,” Jane managed a quiet laugh as she buried her face in her mother’s shoulder. “It’s so weird. Last night I didn’t want to believe it, and now it’s like... it’s like this big weight’s been lifted off my shoulders. Like a part of me suddenly makes sense now.”

“My baby,” Janet whispered and kissed Jane’s forehead softly. “I know this is all going to be very confusing for you for awhile. You have two whole new worlds opening up to you, but Ellen and I are going to help you with the ‘girl’ part. Your father’s going to help you with the-” she stopped suddenly as Morgan raced past, squealing excitedly.

“IT’S SNOWING!”

Jane looked at Janet with tears in her eyes, and Janet giggled. “Like I said, your father’s going to help you learn to control your new powers.”

“I don’t have to start dressing like a girl and junk do I?” Jane groaned as they walked downstairs to look out the front window at Jane’s handiwork. Janet laughed.

“I’d like it if you did, but you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. Melissa might disagree though,” she teased. “But we’ll worry about that later. For now why don’t you take Morgan upstairs and help her get dressed so you two can play in the snow, and I’ll make a nice, hot breakfast?”

Jane smiled as she hugged her mother tightly. “Thanks Mom,” she answered simply.

To Be continued?

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Truly bizarre

Why Jane and not stick with Jace or Jackie?

Because it Fit better :)

Because it Fit better :) Sorry it confused you, but it's the name they picked for him before. When I write the next story to this (Not the next one in the Christmas Journey series) Things will get clearer


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Very Nice

An excellent treatment of the elemental spirit of the season

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Yes, please continue. I

Yes, please continue. I can't wait to read the further adventures. Love the idea of a big strapping muscular guy being a fairy. lol

I thought everyone might love

I thought everyone might love that, High school Football star, etc, all american male *giggles* "He's a fairy, not that kind of fairy."


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Hey!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

And what's wrong with Fairies?

*pretends to fly off in a huff but is giggling all the way*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

Just an FYI the next story in

Just an FYI the next story in the series is called "A Weird Christmas Journey - Melissa Claus"

Then I will go back and write a whole story series about Jane I kinda got really excited about this story :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Great News

loved finding out about Jane and i am sure i will love Melissa's story every bit as much

Kirri

frost

i hope jane and mel get together.that would be a happy ending

Great story

Loving this story so far look forward to more.

NEVER thought about

Santa and other magical being of folklore having offspring

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

story

please, more. keep the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Cute LOL:)

Reminds me a bit of Dwayne Johnson in The Tooth Fairy:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Nice Christmas story

Renee_Heart2's picture

You have Jack frost & St. Nick aka Santa Claus & even the tooth fairy. This is a_very_cute story I loved it & with that said

Please please PLEASE do go on with this story Ash So MUCH to tell so Very little time to do it. Oh & did I mention I loved it? :)

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I just read

both of these and they were great. I enjoyed the interplay and the mix of myths. Mel and Jane sitting in a sleigh ... :)
hugs
Grover