The Ram 35

Printer-friendly version

After Christmas Daphne unexpectedly meets Briony's father.

The Welsh Mountain Ram 35.

Briony Davies Nee Lewis ... Betrayed wife and mother.
Sion... Her eight-year-old son.
Ellairy... Her nine-month--old daughter.
Arfon Davies... Brionys’ abusive and unfaithful husband.
Dave Cadwalloder... Welsh bachelor hill-farmer.
Jenny and Lassie... Daves’ sheepdog bitches.
Laddie... Daves’ sheepdog.
Jessica and Pansy... Daves’ sows.
Angel... Daves’ mare.
Gabriella (Gabby)... Angels’ foal (Gift to Sion.)
Elsbeth... Briony’s sister.
Daphne... Daves’ ‘girlfriend’
Cledwyn... Farmer further down the valley (Neighbour.)
Blodwen... Cledwyn’s daughter.
Rachel... Daphne’s TV friend.
Shirley... Rachels’ GG wife.
Fajita... The maid.
James & Tara... Rachel’s teenaged children (16 & 15)
Billy and Janet... Manager and accountant at Daphne’s club.
Terry... New Zealand Shepherd.
Wendy Blodwens best friend at school. Also Dave’s friend.
Jane Policewoman at Machynlleth.
Jack Davies Sergeant North Wales Police.
Joyce Blodwen’s Partner.

The Ram 35.

That Christmas was one of the best that Sion and James and Tara could ever remember. James and Tara naturally oscillated between adult enjoyment and adolescent fun as befitted their maturing personalities. Sion of course indulged himself to the max as he joined in the spirit of the occasion while taking full advantage of the space and facilities that Daphne’s house had to offer.
On Christmas day Daphne sat cuddling Briony as they watched Sion ricocheting from game to person to food like a demented pinball. Ellairy was toddling happily between the adults savouring the love and attention of so many caring adults. By Christmas night the two youngest were exhausted as Briony and Tara finally put them to bed.

As Tara gazed enchanted by Ellairy’s blissful expression she turned to Briony and asked.

“What’s it like having babies? Does it really hurt?”

Briony smiled and explained as best she could.

“For some it’s easy; like shelling peas, for others it’s bloody painful and for yet others it can be dangerous or even fatal. I’m lucky, the Lewis’s breed easily.”

“I thought your name was Davies.” Tara added.

“Uuhm, that’s my married name darling; or it was. Lewis is my maiden name, we three Lewis sisters have no trouble with babies.”

“Is there a way of knowing if you’re going to have it easy or hard?” Tara pressed as they left Ellairy to the care of the ‘night-light’.

“None that I know of,” Briony shrugged, “There’s some correlation to wide or slender hips but even that’s not certain."

They returned to the adults who were playing charades and continued playing until tiredness took over. Briony had hardly had a better Christmas and she smiled as Daphne emerged from the bathroom.

“It was fun watching the children enjoy.” Briony sighed happily.

Daphne smiled as she slid onto the bed and snuggled up to Briony’s ‘bump’.

“There’ll be two more to enjoy it next Christmas.”

“Four if you count Blodwen and Joyce’s babies.”

“Mmmm yes,” Daphne croaked huskily, “I’ll be a daddy four times over and two more adopted. The only pity is that Dad never got to see this.”

“He’s been dead over ten years now Daph; what brought this on?”

“Oh, I was just missing him. I was thinking of those few Christmases we had together way back when I was a tiny kid, before grandma came to help.”

“You miss your dad don’t you?” Briony whispered.

“Aye,” Daphne choked back an involuntary sob, “my dad would have loved all this.”

Briony squeezed her tight then Daphne slipped under the duvet. As they embraced, Daphne wondered.

“Don’t you miss your mum and dad?”

“Yes,” Briony replied.”

“So what’s stopping you getting back with them?”

“I made a fool of myself by marrying Arfon. My dad warned me and begged me not to marry him but I was too headstrong. What do they say? Marry in haste, repent at leisure.”

“But you were young and naive, that’s no reason for cutting all ties.”

“I can’t face my dad. I know he’d gloat and say ‘I told you so.’ Anyway he’d be even worse about my marrying you, a tee-girl.”

“How d’you know?” Daphne wondered.

“He’s never been kind or tolerant. Our brothers had it much easier. He always used to make that awful remark about sons and daughters; you know ... with a son it’s just one prick to worry about; with a daughter it’s every prick in the village. He used it as an irrefutable argument to keep us under his thumb; consequently I never got on with my dad. I was the youngest and he’d been angry that my sisters left home to get married to escape his oppression. So with only me left, he moved heaven and earth to keep me on a short leash. I think he expected me to do the good daughter thing and look after them in old age. It was hell on earth being the last kid left standing; I got the brunt of all his misogyny and oppression. I married the first available man at the first available opportunity. It hurts like hell to admit my dad was right about Arfon but not right about all men.

“Am I hearing frying pans and fires here?” Daphne asked. “What about your mummy?”

“She does what dad says, that’s why I ended up marrying a domineering brute. My female role model was a doormat.”

Daphne nodded sympathetically. Her childhood had been idyllic compared to Briony’s despite having lost her mother as a young child and her father when she was nineteen. The estate and the open mountains had given her an unappreciated freedom. It was only after meeting other children in high-school that she had begun to realise how much she had. That and the rock solid friendship with Blodwen had served to make her early years ambrosaic.

Thankful for the childhood she had been gifted, Daphne slid a slender leg over Briony’s thigh and semi-spooned together. Briony shifted her butt to get comfortable and they fell asleep.

They were woken early by the now familiar invasion of the children followed by the adults. It seemed that Daphne and Briony’s bedroom had become the social hub of the house for ‘morning assembly’.

“Can we go to Llanidloes to see the boxing-day game?” Sion begged.

Daphne turned to Briony.

“Your call darling. How d’you feel?”

“What if I meet my dad?”

Daphne fell silent. She could have little input into Briony’s decision except to offer that as a crowd, with Terry and John for company, she stood little chance of being publically abused or chastised. Briony sucked thoughtfully.

“I could invite Elspeth. She used to love the football match, that’s where she met her husband.”

“Come one, come all,” Daphne offered, “ask her to stop by here on the way and we can go as a gang.”

A telephone call revealed that Elspeth was definitely going to the match and she was just about to leave for Llanidloes at that moment.

“You’re lucky to have caught me; I’ll be passing Plas Graig Las in about an hour.

“Serendipity,” Daphne replied to Elspeth as she shooed everybody out of their bedroom and quickly got ready.

They were finishing breakfast as Elspeth’s car was spotted by the eagle eyed Sion from his favourite breakfast window seat.

“They’re here!” he squealed as he erupted from his seat and burst into the yard to meet his cousins.

John and Terry finished feeding the livestock while the rest rushed to get ready and by nine two Landrovers were en-route for Llanidloes. Briony chatted at length with Elspeth about what they should do if she met their parents.

“Cross that bridge when, or if we come to it.” Elspeth advised.

“Does she ask about Ellairy?” Briony asked half knowing the answer.

“All the time; what d’you expect? She’s hurt that you haven’t been back. It’s not that dangerous. There’s been no sign of Arfon, he’s a wanted man; there’s a warrant out for his arrest.”

“He is dangerous Sis,” Briony replied, “he would have killed Daph if he’d found the ammunition.”

“D’you really think so?”

“He’s a very jealous creature and he’s got a violent temper, you never saw it. Even his bothers are wary and they’re no angels.

Sion was terrified of him and that’s his own blood son.”

“What about your house in Llanidloes, what’s happening to that?”

“It’s not my house, it’s in his name; he inherited it from his maiden aunt before we married.”

“It’s a pity seeing it empty, it’s a nice house.”

“Yeah, well it holds bad memories for me; never again.”

“With these final words the girls fell silent but in the other Landover the boys were chatting eagerly about the forthcoming game. Anticipating a muddy field, Daphne had dressed in a fairly neutral outfit comprising suede type, working boots (girly style,) skinny jeans, waxed jacket over a ‘darted’ quilted shirt and a black, felt ‘unisex’ hat. She’d even be able to kick the ball if it fell to her feet. She had no idea what to expect. In olden days, the village Boxing Day game had been essentially a ‘married versus singles’ affair where the ball was chased through the streets and goals were posted at four different locations around the town, two apiece for the married and single teams. Mayhem ensued and anybody could take a ‘pot-shot’ and even join in if they wanted. There were no rules about numbers; the only rule being that the ball could not be handled. The crowds lining the streets tended to block any windows being broken. All in all it had always been a wild but reasonably enjoyable affair.
Modern day sobriety had reduced it to a game played on the normal town soccer pitch but there were still no limits to the numbers allowed and spectators could kick the ball legitimately when it fell at their feet. It was still a festive affair and the pubs did well. The married versus singles rule was still applied loosely, while divorcees could choose their loyalties. Sion and his cousins were eager to play despite their young ages.

After parking up a fair way out of the town centre the gang made their way into town where the girls picked a suitable spot close to a pub. They settled there and the boys went off to the pre-arranged kick-off. James had agreed to look after the younger boys while Terry and John found their way into the melee that marked roughly where the kick-off usually started.

At the entrance to the sports ground the town mayor punted the ball onto the football field and the mayhem began. From the pub, Daphne could hear the shouting and the mayhem but the trees prevented a proper view so she took her leave of the other girls and explained she wanted to actually see the match.

“I used to be fairly good with a ball. I might just take a pot-shot if it comes my way.”

So saying she picked her way to the sports ground and eventually spotted Sion and his cousins rampaging up and down the field in the company of about another two hundred individuals ranging from nine to fifty nine, it was truly chaotic but hugely enjoyable.

She called to them and eventually made herself heard amidst the roar of the game. The three boys came trotting over as the mayhem went on around them.

“What d’you want Aunty Daph?” One of the cousins asked.

“Just checking you’re okay, where’s James?”

“In there somewhere,” Sion replied pointing to the wild melee that vaguely indicated where the ball might be.

“You be careful now, don’t get hurt.”

The three boys gave her patronising looks and returned to the fray. Daphne stood on what would ordinarily have been considered the ‘side-line’ but such was the nature of the game there were no fixed boundaries then the ball was punted high into the air and hurtled towards Daphne’s feet. The mob immediately turned in pursuit so she gave the ball a hefty kick and reversed the mob’s approach. With her urge to kick a ball satisfied, she retreated into a crowd of women and just watched. At noon the game ended and the boys came up to her expectantly. It was obvious they were expecting money to buy hamburgers. She indulged them and they joined the queue. As they waited a man in his late fifties suddenly turned and stared at the boys. The boys immediately recognised him.

“Oh look, it’s grand-dad.” Sion shouted.

“Hiya Grand-dad!” They called in unison for they were innocently ignorant of any complications that might arise.”

The man hesitated then approached them briskly.

“What are you three doing here?”

“Playing football.” Meifion the older cousin replied.

“I can see that, where’s Elspeth and Briony?”

Sion turned to Daphne and innocently asked.

“Where are they Auntie Daph?”

“Oh, they’re in the ... the white pub on the corner.”

“And who might you be Miss?” Briony’s father stared curiously at her.

“She’s Daphne, she’s marrying mummy.” Sion announced innocently.

The man’s jaw sagged as he frowned uncomprehendingly.

“What d’you mean lad? She can’t marry your mum, she’s a woman!””

Sion became defensive but refused to be contradicted.

“She can and she is. Daphne’s my mummy dad!”

Briony’s father glared at Daphne and challenged her.

“Would you like to explain? And what are these children doing near you?”

Daphne took a conciliatory tack.

“I’ll explain, but not here and the boys are just getting hamburgers. Then we’ll be returning to the others, their mothers, your daughters Elspeth and Briony I believe.”

The man frowned and glared.

“We’ll see about that, my grandchildren are not being looked after by a total stranger, especially some sort of lesbian or something. They’re coming with me!”

“Oh no they’re not! They’re with their mothers; I’m just getting them something to eat before we meet up. Leave them alone!”

The man tried to grab the boys but they had already anticipated some sort of conflict and moved behind Daphne. The man bellowed angrily.

“Come here you little buggers!”

His shout attracted the attentions of others in the queue and the Grand-father turned as if to appeal to the crowd as he loudly declared.

“Those are my grandchildren! She’s got them!”

Daphne said nothing but stood her ground as the grandfather continued agitating. Eventually a small crowd gathered and a couple of people recognised the older man. Daphne noticed another man step away towards the sport’s ground entrance and he returned quickly with a police officer. The officer also recognised the Grand-father and he spoke to him first.

“Well, Mr Lewis, what seems to be the problem?”

“It’s this woman, she’s got care of my children and she’s some sort of lesbian or something. The boys say she intends to marry my daughter Briony.”

“Who? Your younger daughter.”

“Yes, Briony, the prettiest one, my youngest. That boy, the youngest is Sion Davies my grandson by her.”

The officer turned to Daphne and took her aside.

“Now Miss, I do know this gentleman and his daughters. Do you have any identity?”

Daphne realised she was in a strange town were few might have known her, especially as she was en-femme. If she showed the officer her identity as Mr David Cadwalloder there was no knowing where this could go. She decided to bluff as she offered her handbag.

“I, I don’t have my identity here it’s with Briony in the Mount Inn. She’s sitting there with the rest of our party. She's got my purse cos’ she’s using my debit card.”

“The Mount Inn? Oh that’s just down the road.”

“Yes, she was sitting in the beer garden overlooking the street hoping that the game might turn into the old game, where they chased it around the streets. From the Beer garden they’d have had a good but safe view. If we can go to the Mount Inn I can show you my identity there.”

“Very well ma-am. Just wait here while I check with the boys. I know the older one Eifion, he’s Elspeth’s oldest. I know he’s Mr Lewis’s grandson.”

“Very well officer. I’ll wait here.”

By now a police woman had arrived and was checking with the boys. The facts all matched up so the police officer agreed to escort Daphne to the Mount Inn, while the lady police officer agreed to detain the boys. Daphne sagged with relief as she got in the police car and quickly arrived at The Mount Inn. They found Briony and Elspeth sitting in the beer garden and the officer quickly recognised them. Elspeth greeted him as he and Daphne entered.

“Hello Colin, long time no see.” She smiled.

“Hello Elspeth, yes it has been a long time and even longer for you Briony, do you recognise this lady?”

“Yes, it’s Daphne.”

“Ah, good, so far so good. Have you got her purse?”

At this point Daphne had to intervene.

“Uhm, I’m sorry officer. I had to tell a little lie back there in the crowd. I have in fact got my driving licence here in my purse.”

Colin stared suspiciously then asked.

“So why did you not show it to me back in the sports ground?”

“You’ll understand when you see the name on my driving licence.”

Daphne proffered the little plastic photo-card and Colin studied it. As he read the name there was a brief hesitation then he stared at Daphne. Finally he made sense of what he was seeing ... a very convincing transgendered person.

“Ah. I see now. I presume I continue addressing you as Miss or Ma-am.”

“Yes and thank you. I’ve got my licence counterfoil with me; I always carry a photocopy because it’s got my alternative femme name and signature in the little boxes on the back.”

Colin studied the green and pink form then nodded appreciatively.

“Well that’s all in order, and might I say you completely fooled me. You’re good; shall we go and collect the children?”
Daphne grinned appreciatively.

I’ll take that as a compliment, thank you.”

Daphne then glanced at Briony and Elspeth then explained.

“There was a bit of an incident on the field. Your father saw the boys. He more of less Accused me of abducting them.”

Both girls cursed as Briony explained to Colin.

“You know the problem with Arfon. I’m divorced from him. Daphne’s my new partner; she and I are getting married in June, after my bump goes down.”

Daphne had to admire Colin’s sang-froid as he digested the information and turned to Daphne without losing a stroke.

“So, you’re a man but a trans ... trans ... uhhm ... gendered man.”

“It’s a bit more complicated than that officer. The twins that Briony’s carrying are mine.”

Colin shook his head then smiled as he studied the Briony’s bump and asked her.

“D’you want to come and collect the children I’ll run all three of you back to the field.”

“I’d rather not face my father,” Briony confessed.

“There won’t be any trouble Bri. I know your dad of old. He shouts and tries to bully but he won’t get away with it with me. I’m no longer the boy who’s bottom he smacked for pinching his apples.”

Both Elspeth and Briony chuckled at the memory. Then their faces became serious as Briony collected Ellairy from Shirley and took her to see the grandfather she had never seen. Briony was glad that there would be a police officer there.

o00000o

--SEPARATOR--

In UK a purse is a lady's wallet it is usually carried in her 'handbag'. If the purse open's with a clasp like a minature sack then it is a traditional purse. With the advent of various plastic cards for ID and finance functions, a Lady's purse has come to more resemble a 'man's wallet' and the term wallet is becoming acceptable over in the UK to describe the small pocket sized folding purse that ladies use to carry their credit cards and paper money.
The term 'Handbag' is still used to used to describe the larger bag ladies use to carry all the other necessaries.
An American Purse is a British handbag.

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Handbag

In many parts of the US a purse is also called handbag especially if you live in the New England Area or around the Virginia area. It is used about half the time more in the south but handbag is considered a small bag that fits in the hand such as a clutch purse while a purse is much larger and can hold such necessities as cell phone, keys, wallet, and tablet computer. I have two purses that are so big that they hold both my new ipad3 and my android tablet.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Piccies.

This is a purse UK Style ver traditional and almost extinct except by ladies who carry lots of shrapnel. (Coins.)

Ladies purse 10x13x3.jpg 10cmx13cm x 3cm.

This is a modern style ladies wallet.

ladies wallet 15x10x0.5.jpg

15cm x 10cm x o.5 cm

This is a clutch bag used usually for formal occasions with cocktail dresses or gowns.

clutch bag 12 x 26x5.jpg

12cm x 26 cm x 5cm

This is a traditional Tote Hand bag

handbag (tote bag)32 x 12 x28.jpg

32 cm x 28 cm x 12cm

This is a traditional shoulder bag. (My favourite style)

hand bag (shoulder bag)27x18x7.jpg

I find this style to be by far the most convenient and secure. Size 27 cm x 18 cm x 7 cm.

bev_1.jpg

The Ram 35.

Now we know why Briony married that beast.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Getting a bit dicey here?

Wow, I hope that the old man does not stir up trouble.

G

How did Briony learn such tolerance?

Well told, as always! It sounds like Grand-dad is in for a good telling off, and if he cannot control himself, maybe a little jail time. It would be nice if Grand-mum made an appearance. Perhaps there might be a bit of a reconciliation, even.

Wren

The Welsh/British Police

joannebarbarella's picture

In this story are all really good at handling the unusual with aplomb. It's the civilians who are the problem,

Joanne