Alone 2: The Walk

Printer-friendly version

What if you were the last human on Earth? A sequel to Alone.

Alone 2: The walk
By
Grover
10/27/2011

Walking down those steps, of the little house that'd been my sanctuary, was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. It didn't help that I was naked as the day I was born either. The aliens didn’t wear clothes although Doc wondered if that would change when the weather got colder. Scouts had seen some wearing protective garments when it made sense to. They simply didn't seem to care to be clothed otherwise.

Part of my camouflage was the box in my arms. During my vigil, I'd seen them searching for portable home electronics, such as cell phones, music players and such. Finding enough to fill my box I was easy. The Berretta 92F hidden in the bottom was insurance because androgynous female drone or not, I wasn't nobody's fool.

Moving in that same smooth gait they had, I joined the line of alien scavengers. It was just that easy. All I had to do now was follow the leader. No one said anything, but they never did. They were just like robots, with the exception of the Princes and presumably the Queens although no one had ever seen one.

The rare Prince had been seen to talk and reportedly the drones had answered. Tall and unmistakably male, they were true invaders. There was nothing robotic about them, and the drones obeyed them without question.

Walking along, the hardest thing was remembering to keep in character. Humans whistled, hummed, and even sang as they walked, but not the aliens. Just the expressionless smooth faces looking straight ahead as they carried out the wishes of their masters.

It was about then that I really noticed the music. Okay, it wasn't really music, but a radio signal the aliens emitted. That was why my falling into that walk-in freezer had saved me. I'd already been changed into an alien, but faraday cage like effect had saved me from being reprogrammed.

However, I still had the radio in my head which was why Doc and the others never trusted me. The thing is while I could pickup the signal I had no clue as to what it said. The music thing was my brain's why of trying to make sense of the noise.

That was when I saw that I was being crowded by my fellow looters. A bolt of fear shot though me like lightning. Had I been discovered?

Frantically moving my eyes about seeking information, it hit me that all of them were moving in step, but I wasn't. Taking a chance, I stopped for a moment and then restarted on what I hoped was the correct foot.

Lucky for me that seemed to work. They wandered back to what I saw was a loose formation. The music faded in volume but I could still hear it, and it even seemed to have a beat I use to keep in step with everyone else.

Up ahead, I saw a line of school buses that the aliens were heading towards. It seemed we were about to take a trip. I thought about trying to drop out, but decided against it remembering how they reacted to me being out of step. That was kinda like a herd closing in to mildly discipline or teach another member.

I really didn't want to leave my neighborhood, but what did I have to loose? If this was expedition was heading back to some kind of center, who knows, I might get a chance to make some kind of difference.

The music got louder as they clustered together to get on the bus. I might be alone in this crowd of strangers, but I was also armed. Fifteen rounds for the invaders with one left up the tube for me.

The End
?
up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So more than just an incomplete transformation occured

She, well mostly she now can *hear* the reprogramming signal but is immune to it.. I think something is in play here more than just the Faraday cage effect of the meat freezer.

Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for the humans.

The aliens seem arrogant that their superior tech/bodies will win. Or at least they have little fear or where are the soldiers? They seem to rely entirely on this signal to maintain control. And why is gathering up Earth electronics so important? Do they need something in them or fear they can be adapted into a counter weapon, signal jammer? Are they vulnerable to their own tech? How many of the aliens are former other races suborned into this insect like society?

But as we all know once you are *on-line* you are vulnerable to viruses, worms, malware. Plus that which can listen in, IE download, can likely upload as well once she knows the protocols. IMHO it seems only this constant signal is keeping the humans in line and otherwise there are very few true aliens around. This signal is a weak point IF she can get control of it. Perhaps it can even be used not just to redirect the transformed humans against these creatures, perhaps it can be used to reverse the whole process that robbed them of their humanity, their ability to reproduce and their free will?

She said she, and I assume the other few *free former humans* she used to know had NEVER seen a queen. Given they seem an hive like race IF she can crack the signal, corrupt it to HER purpose maybe she can get to the queen and kill her or otherwise force her to change the human race back in exchange for the survival of hers.

The big Q is are the aliens really evil or did they simply see us as lab rats/beasts of burden/or at best serfs/worker females to be transformed as needed for the greater good, a bit Borg-like?

So is she heading to her death or to glory?

Never expected a continuation.

I am impressed, Grover.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

We don't have enough information.

For all we know she could be a queen and that's why the "music" isn't affecting her. They may have been clustering around her as drones cluster around the queen, until she unconsciously gave the command to get them to move back into formation. Unlikely, but maybe possible.

I don't see an issue with the faraday cage - it would make some sense to change the body first and do the programming second, so the programming is going into a "known" environment. She got in at the right time and skipped the programming, so there's nothing there to respond to the music.

The other thing to remember is that there's a hint at the previous chapter this was to prepare us for later colonists. It's implied previously that the "Princes" were possessed - so maybe the real aliens either aren't here yet or are hidden.

That'S an interesting

That'S an interesting theory... The protagonist being a queen... But that wouldn'T explain why he/she is androgynous.

I mean it's rather strange that there is an alien species that is somewhat human looking and capable to transform humans into worker drones for themselves. I'd guess these "Aliens" are humans too and the real aliens just want to help humanity stopping wars or something.

Grover, thank you for writingthis interesting story, I hope for another chapter.

Beyogi

The discussion is way old,

The discussion is way old, but I did also think it's possible that the protagonist may be related to queens in some way. As for the mentioned argument of androgynousness the reasons are twofold.

One - the immaturity of the form. The analog of butterfly of sorts.
Two - a drone can be further transformed, I mean it's not like the aliens never transformed the humans into female drones or Princes, right?

If we go further and (like in the Sector General) try and explain some of the pecularities of the physiology, then having immature queens looking like drones would be a case of protective mimicry, where the future of the hive cannot be singled out of the workforce, preventing pointed strikes aganist species and necessitating the use of larger force to completely wipe the hive. It would also suggest that the queens are capable of (at least) producing the drones without intercourse and introduction of reproductive material from the Princes, and the Princes themselves are likely to NOT be hive-specific instead being more than a little separate from the hive structure.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Alone- Thanks Faraway

I have a one or two more parts of this up at StarDust. Unfortunately I hit a logic snag that I'm trying to work my way around. Hopefully I'll be inventive enough to come up with a reasonable solution.
Thanks for the comment and you're very close.
hugs
Grover

Alone 2: The Walk

Wondering where you are going with this.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The End

terrynaut's picture

I still don't feel close enough to a proper ending here. And there are no dwagons to distwact me. Please consider following through to the end, assuming you have a final ending in mind.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Alone 2

Good stuff. Short but suspenseful. Can't stop now... :P

Lisa, Sci-Fi Junkie

I've just come across this

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I've just come across this story and have to say it has a wonderfully dystopian feel to it. I love the concept that the invasion came and we lost without a shot being fired because we became the invaders. :-)

You achieved a lot with very few words in this story Grover. Thank you for sharing it.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."