Fade To Black

Printer-friendly version

Fade To Black

A girl's reflections as she prepares to end the last chapter.

And so she stood on the edge of the cliff, tears burning her cheeks and blurring her vision. She was empty now … empty of love … empty of fear … empty of hope … empty of the faith that had carried her through the darkness for so long.

She had finally come to the place she’d always known she’d have to face one day. She’d fought, feared, and ran from this place … this day for so long, but now as the tears subsided, a coolness washed over her mind and body. It was like a release before the release she hoped to find at the bottom of the cliff.

No more running, no more hiding, no more waking up to find God had failed once again to grant her a miracle or send an angel to carry her to heaven. Finally she’d found the courage to stop, turn, and face the two things she feared most: reality and aloneness.

As she readied herself to jump she found a knowing smile. Some would say she was a cowardly quitter who’d given up and lost the battle, but they were wrong. In her heart she knew she’d won the life long war, because today she was defeating the enemy by putting a stop to the pain and the madness.

Heaven or hell awaited her. She wasn’t sure which would be her final destination, but she didn’t really care. Of course she had a preference, who wouldn’t … but truth was ... she’d just deal with the afterlife when she got there.

Her eyes focused on the blackness below her but her mind thought back to the world she was about to leave behind. Memories of some very special people came to her … people who had touched her and she had touched them. She was glad those memories were locked safely away in the past, where what she was about to do could not change or destroy them.

Regrets? She really only had one. She really hated to hurt those she loved and left behind. She didn’t want to cause them pain. She only wanted to end her own. Fortunately, she knew that those who truly knew her … knew her pain … and knew why she was here. They might not agree with her choice, but at least they would understand it and respect it. Yes … they would be sad … but life goes on … better people than her have left this world … their hurt would heal soon. Her pain would end now.

She placed her note aside the picture of her family and a thought came to her, “Immortality”. Yes … this body … this life was at an end, but she wasn’t really leaving, because she would be remembered and loved. And as long as you are safe in the hearts of those who love you then you are always with them and you never really die.

It was finally time … no more words … no more tears … no more unanswered prayers … no more pain … no more running … no more thoughts … jump and fade to black.

Note by Holly Hart. This is only a story, written years before Maggie posted it, at a time when she was very down. She did not expect the reaction it got. She is sorry she panicked so many people. Besides comments here, Maggie and I both got a number of private messages here, or emails. Since it was posted, I've spoken to her and we gave each other real world hugs, She is fine and happy now. HHH

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Suicide is not the answer.

littlerocksilver's picture

We have to reach out. It can, it will get better.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

For those worried about Maggie the Kitten ...

Shalimar and I live about 6 miles away as the crow flies. We will be on our way to go check on her in a couple of minutes.

She only has a cell phone, and often does not carry it, so it is not unusual for us not to get here that way.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Please say you have not done

Please say you have not done it. Please get in touch with allie elle as we are both worried.

Yours loving

samantha rebecca

get in touch soonest

Kitten get in touch really do get in touch we love you to the ends of the earth and you are too darned good a person to lose get in touch I am begging you I/i really am

you lil big sis and co toddler terror allie

Not good, plz don't

I'm worried about this...

I hope this isn't a suicide note, because it would be a sad loss of life.

Please tell me I interpreted too much into this.

Beyogi

Fade To Black

GOD NO! PLEASE LET THIS BE JUST A STORY!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Huggles Friends This is only

Huggles Friends

This is only a story and nothing more. The girl in it is transgender but really that doesn't matter. Any of us can be driven to the cliff by any number of deamons. Having been to that edge ... as many of us have ... I just wanted to share "the view" and nothing more. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

Sorry this is so bitter, but you really can't have the sweet kitten tale without the bitter.

Hugs and love to you all

Maggie

There are some of us

Who understand the tale too well, more's the pity.

I get by remembering the people who need me, it is a powerful incentive to hang on. Hopefully, when the young ones have left the nest, there will be someone else. If not, then we'll have to see.

Woah... put a note under

Woah... put a note under stories like this. This read like a suicide note.

I'm glad you just scared me ^^

This story was well very realistic...
Beyogi

Kitten's really OK :)

Piper's picture

BTW, just to let everyone know.... I've talked to Kitten on the phone just recently and she really is fine :)

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF/PT


"Science is just magic with an explanation, and bumblebees are just tiny little fairies in disguise. :)" Submitted by Erin on Sun, 2010/04/04 - 6:37pm.



"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


She REALLY is Okay.

Piper was talking to her on MY phone, and I got a good solid happy hug from her about 16 minutes ago.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

please

Oh Maggie please no. Girl I think you are awesome

I wish you enough Mickie

MICKIE

huge hugs and steals the kitten away

thank you kitten I can restart my heart you are loved by me and many

leaves a trail of cookie and pizza crumbs for the kitten to follow whenever she is ready

love you bunches and freckles

allie

ps ignore the message on your cell phone I am more like ly to hug you than do the other thing

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hit a little too close to home

I've been on the edge a couple of times. Thank God I didn't take the plunge.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Been here.

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

But a tug with a 'standby boat' hauled me out. Sometimes I think they did me a favour, sometimes I didn't.

I've concluded in the last ten or twenty years that they maybe did me a favour cos now I'm enjoying myself but it's taken fifty or sixty years to get here.

Now I just hope that others will 'hang on in there'; it's getting better but I really feel for our Transatlantic sisters who don't enjoy the benefits of socialised medicine. I can understand why the suicide rates are so high amonst you over there, SRS and transition can be so damned expensive.

Good luck Maggie. It can get better.

XZXX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Excellent Take Maggie

When i posted Reaction, Unexpected on Sunday (04/09/11), your dear friend and angel Holly wrote to me about your tale and was checking up on me to make sure i was ok too. It is a sign of good writing when the author can draw in their audience, even with a tale as painful as this... i know the feelings your MC has, and have managed to avoid the decision she took...
thank you for sharing this....
Diana, with huge hugs