Soul Catcher

Printer-friendly version

The Soul Catcher
By Maggie the Kitten

Three "soul" sisters are en route to collect the fourth sister, when they encounter a blast from the past and a woman who offers them a chance to be their soul's true image. Will they take it and will they reach their sister in time to share the magic with her?

Three young women stood in front of the rundown house. It was just one of the slums that lined the street. Evening had come, and the streetlamp glared across broken children's toys and overflowing trashcans that littered the sidewalk. The street was empty of traffic, but the sounds of nightlife filled the air and the girls knew they were not alone. They could hear dogs barking out a warning from a nearby house. Rats squealed and squirmed in a nearby pile of garbage bags. Loud music blared from a boom box sitting in an open window that had neither screen nor curtain. They heard a man and a woman heatedly arguing in the house adjacent to the one they stood in front of. The girls could not know this was a nightly occurrence, and had they listened long enough, they would have heard the woman's angry shouts replaced by sobs, as the man would end up beating her, as he always did. A baby wailed from an upstairs apartment and they wondered if it was from hunger, fear, or neglect. Any of the three would be bad. A combination of them could be tragic.

A light drizzle began to fall, and Misty wondered if it was really rain or
Mother Nature's tears of pity for the hopeless souls who inhabited this G_d forsaken street. The chill of the rain and the stench of the garbage made Misty shudder and she pulled her leather jacket up close about her neck. Her jacket matched the short, high-heeled leather boots she wore. Even with three inch heels, she was barely 5'5, and fully clothed, weighed no more than one hundred pounds. Thick, platinum blond hair, almost white in color, ran down the back of her jacket and nearly to her waist. Size one flared jeans and a lace trimmed the peasants blouse sculpted her petite but well endowed body, and completed her leather and lace look. A gold rope chain encircled her neck and matching hoop earrings hung from each ear. On her right wrist she wore a gold charm bracelet with four charms that shared a common theme. A tiny gold baseball was joined by a mitt, a bat, and a pair of cleats.

These charms stood for far more than her childhood love of baseball. They represented a bloody rite of passage for her. It was not the rite of passage all girls travel when they experience menstruation on their journey from girlhood to womanhood. It was the bloody rite of passage inflicted on a little boy's body as it began its journey to match the spirit of the little girl that dwelled within. Misty wiped a few drops of drizzle from her cheeks. Her petite size and light skin coloring gave her the ability to pass for an age younger than the nineteen years she was. Her figure, her piercing dark eyes, and full red lips spoke the truth.

Misty peered up at the dark house, searching for any signs of life and finding none. "Hey Christy, you're the navigator here. Are you sure this is the right house?"

Christy, Misty's older sister at 22, stood to Misty's left, and at 6 foot tall, three inches of that coming from the heels of her tall black boots, she towered over her younger and shorter sister. Christy had the legs that Italian boot designers dreamed of when they made her boots. Long, lean and shapely described not only her legs, but her entire body. Suntan colored hose rose from the tops of her boots to mid thigh length, where they were met by a short cotton skirt. The skirt was black with teal and white in a plaid pattern. A thin leather belt secured by a silver clasp adorned the skirt and encompassed her 24" waist. A classic white silk blouse complimented the skirt; and, with the top three buttons undone, gave a ready view to her ample 36C breasts. A silver and topaz necklace hung from her neck, and matched the earrings that adorned her ears.

Her hair, though both long and blond like Misty's, was wavier and more of a sandy blond. Her bangs were feathered back, and exposed the bronze complexion of a sun goddess. The gleam of her blue eyes played off the topaz from her necklace. When her eyes were a soft azure blue, they signaled her gentle and vulnerable spirit. When they blazed a darker hue, they were the windows to a passionate and sensuous soul. Tonight, they were a soft azure blue, and were surrounded by thick, black lashes. Cinnamon lip-gloss featured her full lips and matched the nail polish on her long natural nails. Christy shared her younger sister's fondness for leather, and donned a knee length black leather duster to compliment her boots.

She reached into her duster pocket and pulled out a computer printout. Holding the print out in her hands, she positioned it to catch the light from the street lamp. She read the directions, double-checking each turn they had made. She almost wished she had made a mistake as she surveyed the house and its surrounding street.

"No, this is it, all right. Kathy lives at 337 East Lincoln Street, and this is 337 East Lincoln."

Christy glanced to her left at her other sister, Rebecca. "Well, what do you think sis? You sent her the email. You told her we were coming tonight with a big surprise, right? Do you think she didn't get your email?"

Rebecca stared intently at the dark windows of Kathy's house. She folded her arms across her chest; and rubbed her hands up and down the sleeves of her thick woolen cardigan sweater. Like Misty, she was chilled. Just a few minutes ago she had been as warm as toast. The chill came more from the house before her, and the ongoing changes to her body, than it did the steady drizzle.
She shook the rain from her hair.

Like both of her sisters, she had been blessed with a thick, luxurious mane. Only hers was a deep rich auburn, and it cascaded over her shoulders and down to her waist. Standing next to Christy, it appeared she was several inches shorter, but in reality she was the same 5'9. She had decided to wear soft, brown flat-heeled leather boots, as they complimented the long flowing "Earth Mother" dress she wore. The loose fitting, comfortable dress was a soft cotton blend. Despite the loose fit, Rebecca's womanly features were hardly hidden.

The long dress flared from her waist to highlight her shapely hips and long legs. The top was low cut, and held together by a drawstring that could barely hold her 38C breasts within. Hanging just above her breasts was a silver chain and pendant. The pendant was also silver and in the form of a pentagram, her symbol to the world that she was a white witch. Complementing the chain and pendant were her earrings. They were black, white and silver. The one on the left was the symbol for "Yin" and the one on the right was its other half, "Yang". Yin and Yang are the symbols for male and female in the Chinese culture. They are shown together and said to be in constant struggle for harmony. Their struggle so mirrored the one within her, that from the moment Rebecca first saw them at that mysterious Wicca bookstore, she had known she had to have them. She had found her dress at the same shop as well. Originally, she had purchased the "Earth Mother" dress because it’s blue and green pastel colors flattered her peaches and cream complexion and sparkling green eyes.

As of two days ago, it had become an ironic symbol of the changes to Rebecca's life and body. Two days ago, she had become a true "Earth Mother", as she discovered she was eight weeks pregnant. No woman in the world could be happier to carry a child than Rebecca. To her, giving birth was a woman's greatest glory. All her life she had longed to feel another life stirring within her. Now she did, and it was every bit as wonderful as she had dreamed. The thought of her child made her smile warmly, and her green eyes sparkle. Her smile and eyes drew attention to her high cheekbones, round face and full lips. She was a traditional beauty whose face beamed with a healthy glow. The same healthy glow every young woman gets when she is to become a young mother. She was the third vision of loveliness that stood before Kathy's home.

Rebecca breathed a heavy sigh. "I'm worried; and it's not about whether or not she got my email. I'm worried about Kathy, really worried. Something's wrong here. I can feel it."

Rebecca, at age 25, was the oldest of the three sisters. Their mother had died when Rebecca was 12, and she had assumed the role of family matriarch soon afterwards. It was an easy and natural transition for her. Even at an early age, it was evident she had a strong maternal instinct and a nurturing nature. It was one of the reasons why she had taken a liking to Kathy so readily. Regardless of the fact that her chat room friend had told her she was a 36 year old, male to female transsexual, Rebecca sensed a little girl at a library keyboard, sad and frightened. That was more than enough to bring out Rebecca's maternal instinct, and she had basically adopted her friend into the family. "Kathy the cat", Kathy's chat room nickname, had in spirit, became the youngest of four sisters and was affectionately known thereafter, as "Kathy the kitten".

The four would chat online and the "kitten" would come out to play more and more with each conversation they had. Still, Rebecca would worry terribly about her littlest sister, from the time she would log off, until their next conversation. Rebecca last spoke to Kathy nearly a week ago. She had been very depressed that day, and while Rebecca could read her sad words through the Internet connection, it was her "big sister" connection that could see the tears, and feel the pain.

Rebecca and her sisters agreed. It was time to bring their little sister home, and now they truly had the power to do it. Rebecca had sent Kathy an email telling her they were coming and they had a big surprise for her. The original surprise was going to be, them bringing her back to her new home. That was a big surprise indeed; but the journey to Kathy's house produced an even bigger surprise for Kathy's three sisters, and they were eager to share both surprises with their newest family member.

Misty may have been the youngest, but at the moment she was the wisest. "Look, I'm getting cold and wet standing here. We didn't come half way across the country to stand out in front of Kathy's house. Let's just go up and knock; and see if anyone answers."

Rebecca glanced over at Misty. "You're right. The only way to know is to find out."

Three women walked up the driveway and stepped on to the front porch. Rebecca peered into front window. She could see nothing but total darkness. "Something is wrong, I tell you. I can feel it!"

Christy smiled devilishly at her. "You're feeling something alright. It's probably the baby kicking."

Rebecca looked down at her still flat belly, imagining the time when she would be plump and round, her breasts swelling with milk and the baby within making his or her presence known by a "kick" or stretch. "Christy, you know its way too early for that yet."

Misty smiled impishly, and took her turn at teasing her oldest sister. "I don't know what you are feeling, but it ought to be indigestion. Geez, Rebecca, how can anyone eat macaroni and cheese with hot fudge sauce? When you ordered that concoction, the waitress looked dead at you and asked how far along you were. Nobody but a pregnant woman would eat something that sickening!"

Rebecca smiled back at her and teasingly stuck out her tongue. "You're just jealous!"

Misty eyes grew wide and she waved her hands in front of her. "No way am I jealous. I can't wait to be an aunt, and someday I do want to be a mother. I want it with all my heart, but that day isn't today, and it won't be coming for a while yet. It has taken too long to get this body; and I have plans of sharing it with certain other bodies, before I become an incubator. Jealous of gaining 50 pounds, needing a hoist to get me in and out of the bathtub, and screaming in pain as I try to pass an eight pound watermelon? ... I DON'T THINK SO!" Misty laughed; and then smiled lovingly at her sister, walking over to her and hugging her. "I'm not jealous, but I am so happy for you. I don't think anyone is more deserving of a child, or will make a better mother than you will."

Rebecca hugged her and tears welled in her eyes. "Thanks. I'm gonna try to be a good mother. You know, I'm looking forward to all of it: the cravings, which I already have, the morning sickness, swelling breasts, swelling belly and swelling ankles, not being able to see my feet for five months, feeling life other than my own stirring within me, and at last, watching my child take its first breath."

Christy smiled and shook her head. "Rebecca, you ought to be the poster woman for motherhood! I'm with Misty on this one. I'm looking forward to being an aunt, and spoiling this child rotten, but I'm not ready for motherhood yet. There are a few horizons and a few hunks I want to explore first, before taking on that kind of responsibility. I'm just so glad to know that when I'm ready to have a baby, I CAN!"

Misty's impish smile returned. "I just want to be there when you explain to your child, how you got pregnant, and who the father is."

Rebecca rolled her eyes. "I told you before. When the time is right, I won't be afraid to tell my child the truth."

Christy grabbed each sister's hand. "If we don't get in there and find Kathy, Rebecca's is going to get to have this baby on Kathy's front porch instead of at the maternity ward at St. Vincent's!"

Misty and Rebecca nodded in agreement, and the three women approached the front door. Finding it slightly ajar, Rebecca knocked several times loudly. When she heard no response, she knocked again, and this time followed it by a shout. "Hello, anyone home? We're here to see Kathy?"

A few more seconds of silence passed before it was broken by a male voice. "Who is it?"

Rebecca, relieved to have finally reached someone, answered cheerfully. "It's Rebecca, Christy, and Misty. We're friends of Kathy's. She should be expecting us."

The male voice in the dark answered her. "Yes, you're expected. Please, step inside the doorway and I'll turn on a light."

The women huddled together as they stepped inside the doorway. They were standing in the darkness of a strange house. The man's voice they had heard had been neither threatening, nor overly friendly. It was tired, somber, and definitely not Kathy's.

Rebecca's feeling that something was wrong within this house was still with her.

When the dim floor lamp illuminated the room, her feeling had substance. Cobwebs hung from the corners of the ceiling. Dirty wallpaper was cracked and peeling on every wall. The wood floor was filthy, and the grit cracked beneath the soles of the girls' boots. A black and white portable television sat on a bookcase against the wall to their left. The wall to the right held a well-worn hunter green couch. At the far end of the couch was the floor lamp their host had switched on, and to the left of the lamp was a leather recliner. Gray duct tape had been used to patch several large rips in the leather. A doorway covered by a blanket nailed across the top, was directly left of the recliner. The floor, aside from being in need of a good sweep and mop, was littered with pizza boxes, empty two-liter bottles of Diet Coke, and sports equipment. The girls weren't sure if Kathy was here, but by the looks of the floor, it was evident she had been.

The somber male voice that had greeted them finally showed the girls the body that went with it. The voice was definitely male, but the body was a little less convincing.

Her host was a standing sexual contradiction. At 6'1, with broad shoulders, long face, Adams Apple, big feet, and no hips or ass to speak of, the body matched the male voice. Yet, with shoulder length blond hair, the remnants of yesterday's make-up, small breasts, and shaved legs, it was obvious their host had tried to feminize a male body. The girls knew that picture well. A textbook male to female transsexual stood before them.

All three girls thought the same thing without speaking it. 'Can this be Kathy? Can this really be our little sister?' Aside from being 36 and having no home computer, all they really knew of her was her love for basketball and pizza.

Basketball and pizza lay on the floor before them. No computer was in sight, and their host could be about 36, but the receding hairline, bags beneath the eyes, lines and wrinkles gave a much older appearance. The clothes, while rumpled and dirty were sort of a Kathy look; baggy sweat shorts, basketball t-shirt, and sweat socks.

Rebecca decided to end the short but awkward silence, by introducing herself, and her sisters. She hoped her host's introduction would solve their quandary. "Hi, I'm Rebecca, and the blonde to my left is Misty. The blonde to my right is Christy. We're the big sisters that adopted Kathy."

Rebecca and her sisters waited for the host to reveal his, or her, identity. He did. He walked up to within a few feet of them and smiled weakly. "Hi, I used to be Charlie, but I changed my name to Kathy. I am the hands that typed the words from the library computer. I am the body that holds the spirit of the girl you called your little sister. I am the closest thing to "Kathy the Kitten" you can hug."

Rebecca smiled as she hugged the soul that stood before her; and Christy and Misty followed suit. They knew that somewhere, locked within that tortured and misshapen body, lived their little sister, the real Kathy; and they had brought with them the key to release her.

Kathy stepped back and regarded the three of them. She shook her head in disbelief. During the course of her chats with the three, she had learned that Misty was young and petite, but she had no idea of what Rebecca or Christy looked like. All three women were young, absolutely gorgeous, and as genuine looking and sounding as any genetic woman she knew. Rebecca had said that Misty was blessed, but she wasn't giving herself or Christy the credit they deserved. Without a doubt, these were the three most genuine looking transsexuals Kathy had ever seen. Over the next twenty minutes, the women explained why.

Kathy led her sisters over to the couch before taking her place in the recliner.

Rebecca started the story; but each took turns, telling the unbelievable tale that explained how, the three women sitting before her, came to be.

It was Rebecca's idea to come get Kathy, but both Misty and Christy were in favor of it. The three sisters shared an old Victorian home, with several extra bedrooms and plenty of room to accommodate their little sister. There was no reason for Kathy to live alone, when she had "family" to be with, so Rebecca sent the email telling Kathy they were coming. The original surprise had been that they intended to take Kathy back with them, to give her a home filled with big sisters and love. A place where her spirit could be nurtured and her body wouldn't matter.

That would have been a pretty big surprise for Kathy, a wonderful surprise, but it paled in comparison to the surprise her sisters had come up with during the trip to Kathy's house.

They had decided to make it a road trip, as it would be easier to haul Kathy's belongings in Christy's Jeep Cherokee, than to squeeze them into two suitcases for a plane ride. It would also give the four of them a chance to spend some time together; help Kathy ease into the full time role of little sister, and offer the opportunity to see some interesting sights.

The most "interesting" site they encountered on their pilgrimage to Kathy's didn't just change their lives, it gave them life. In Rebecca's case, it gave her two lives.

The girls had been taking shifts driving, and the Cherokee had made few stops, save for food and gas, since they'd left California a day and a half ago. They had been tempted to stop, and to explore some interesting places, but had decided to save the adventures for the return trip, when they had Kathy to share them with. They would wait until then, to do their own remake of the journey in "To Wong Foo ..."

Rebecca had been driving the night shift across barren plains, while both Christy and Misty slept. She had the radio, an ample supply of CDs, and strong coffee to keep her company on the lonely, dark, road. Glancing at the fuel indicator, she'd realized they were under a quarter of a tank. Gas stations were few and far between out here, so she'd stop the next available place she found.

She hadn't driven ten minutes before she saw the lit sign of a gas station. As she pulled in, she suddenly felt as if she had traveled forty years into the past. The place looked like Wally's Gas Station right out of the Andy Griffith show. Rebecca stopped in front of the second of two pumps and dug in her purse for her credit card. She was a bit startled when a young man in overalls greeted her. He had to be a mechanic, as he wiped the grease from his hands before he spoke to her. "Evening, ma'am. What can I get for ya?"

Rebecca couldn't believe her ears. Shaking her head in disbelief, she thought to herself, 'Not only am I wearing almost no make-up and he STILL called me ma'am, but this is a full service gas station! I must really be in Mayberry.'

After a moment's hesitation, she politely answered the attendant. "Fill it up with your best, please."

The man set the nozzle in the tank, then proceeded to fulfill the rest of Rebecca's fantasy by cleaning the windshield, and checking the tire pressure, and the oil level.

Rebecca decided to grab a cold soda and avail herself of a bathroom break. She wasn't about to leave the two sleeping beauties unattended in the Cherokee, even if their attendant was Gomer Pyle. She roused the two with some persistent prodding; and shortly, the three women yawned and stretched outside of the SUV.

Christy noticed a small building next to the gas station, and seeing it open and lit at three o'clock in the morning, she naturally assumed it was a truck stop restaurant. Hotcakes and syrup sounded awfully good right then. She investigated. A few minutes later the three women met back at the Jeep. Rebecca and Misty had found the facilities, and a pop machine that sold 6 1/2 ounce Cokes for only ten cents.

Christy's excursion had not seemed so fortuitous. The aroma of burning incense had thwarted her hopes of smelling grilling hot cakes and sizzling bacon. Her hoped for restaurant was in reality, a Wicca bookstore.

Rebecca's eyes grew wide when Christy told her what she had found. She looked first to Christy, and then to Misty, her eyes pleading with them to let her explore. Wicca and white magic had always fascinated Rebecca. Kathy had christened her "Spell Slinger" shortly after they first chatted, because of her legendary love of witchcraft.

Christy and Misty figured it was easier to give in to her than to listen to her complain for the next two days about not stopping there. The three women entered the shop; and were greeted by a charming lady in her early fifty's. Her long straight hair was a mixture of gray and black. She had soft brown eyes and she wore beads, a long dress, and sandals. She looked exactly like the kind of person you would imagine running a place like this.

She introduced herself as Jan, but invited the girls to address her as Aunt Jan, if they were comfortable calling her that. The three young women split up, and browsed separate sections of the small, but well stocked store. Aunt Jan approached each one separately, and spoke with each of them about what they might be looking for. Aside from a set of earrings, and an Earth Mother dress that Rebecca absolutely fell in love with, all three women gravitated to the same display case. The case featured just one item. A round glass globe, mounted on a silver stand. The detail work in the silver was incredible, and the piece was obviously very, very old.

Aunt Jan noticed the three of them staring at it and walked over to meet them at the case. "I knew you would all end up here. You know, this IS exactly, what you're looking for. I make it my business to try to have the things that people really need. Things which are not always easily found, but very necessary indeed."

Misty smiled at the lady. She really liked her. She had no idea why she needed a glass globe; but this lady's sales pitch was so good she just had to find out. Her sentiment was shared by Christy, and echoed by Rebecca.

"Okay Aunt Jan, you've got my curiosity going. You gotta tell me exactly what this globe is and why we need it. It appears to be a beautiful antique."

Aunt Jan reached under the counter and produced the globe. "My dear, it is beautiful, and it is extremely old; but it is much more than just an antique. It is a "soul catcher".

Misty spoke up. "Aren't those the things that Indians made with feathers and beads? I've seen them hung in windows and from rear view mirrors."

Rebecca was quick to correct her. "I think you are talking about a dream catcher, Misty."

The baby blonde gazed sheepishly at her oldest sister. "Ooops, my mistake! Blonde moment I guess."

Aunt Jan took the lead again. "Actually, Misty, you could almost call this a dream catcher. The properties this globe possesses would indeed be a dream come true for most people."

Christy was totally intrigued by now. "Okay, Aunt Jan, exactly what does this soul catcher DO?"

"Alright, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. Actually, it does exactly what its name says it does. It catches the soul of anyone who holds it."

Rebecca frowned. "Wait a minute; I thought Wicca was white magic. Capturing souls sounds like black magic to me."

"No child, I assure this is the purest form of white magic. When I say it captures the soul, I mean it captures its image and displays it in the globe. It allows you to see the form your true spirit, or soul, would take should it have a physical body. That, in and of itself, is a pretty neat trick, wouldn't you say?"

All three women stared at the globe and nodded in agreement as the older woman continued. "However, the true magic comes next. Should the holder of the globe wish her natural body to mirror that of her souls, he or she need but to close their eyes and wish it. Within twenty-four hours, their wish will be granted. They will have a body and soul in harmony for the rest of their life."

Aunt Jan paused a moment, and regarded her three customers. They were reacting just as she knew they would. Each was staring at the globe and imagining what their soul would look like, and how it would feel to have a body that matched that image.

"Sadly, there are many people whose physical body does not match that of their soul's image. It must a tremendously frustrating and painful life for these people. My heart goes out to anyone suffering in such a way."

The girls knew Aunt Jan was talking about them. She was trying to be delicate and compassionate, but she was definitely talking about them. These three women weren't always women in a physical sense. They had all lived as boys, or men; but at some point discovered that in their heart, they had been women all along. From that point on they had worked diligently, and painfully, trying to correct the grave error Mother Nature had made.

Misty was one of the lucky ones. Her situation was discovered at a very young age, when her male genitalia were basically destroyed in a sports incident. Being petite and young, her body had adapted well to the hormone therapy and she was a very attractive and passable young woman.

Rebecca and Christy had not been so lucky, although, saying a transsexual was ever lucky, seems almost an absurdity. They had begun their journey to womanhood later in life, and while they also were attractive and mostly passable, they weren't the complete women either of them wished to be. Even Misty, as young and beautiful as she was, envied the girls who had lived as girls since their first breath. They each wanted to see their soul’s image and they wanted the opportunity to change their bodies to match it, should it be the image they hoped to find.

The three women asked in unison. "How much, Aunt Jan?"

Aunt Jan smiled and shook her head. "This item is not for sale. How can anyone put a price on a soul, or a dream? You each may use it freely, but remember, its effects are permanent. Once the wish is made, it will happen, and there is no going back." She paused a moment. "Okay then, do you each wish to use it?"

Once again the girls spoke in unison. "Yes!"

The three excited hopefuls looked at each other, trying to decide who would go first. Aunt Jan handed the globe to Rebecca, and the other two girls crowded around her.

Misty smiled while declaring, "I can't wait to see what that soul of your looks like. I always had a feeling that a fiery, red headed vixen lurks just beneath that cool exterior of yours."

Aunt Jan immediately commented on Misty's remark. "Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you. Only the person who is holding the globe will see the image of the soul. Anyone else will see only the clear globe."

Rebecca smiled at Misty. "I guess you're just going to have to wait to see "The Vixen", if I decide to turn her loose." The three sisters and Aunt Jan laughed heartily at the young woman's quip.

Rebecca then held the globe in both hands and concentrated on the image.

While Christy and Misty saw a clear glass globe, Rebecca was given a glance of what she always knew existed, but never believed would live in the real world. Her sisters couldn't see the image, but the smile on Rebecca's face and the tears in her eyes told them she was happy with what she saw. Rebecca closed her eyes for nearly a minute and that told them she was bringing that image into reality.

Christy took her turn, and then Misty. Their reactions and their decisions mirrored that of Rebecca. They each had decided to go for it. Misty handed the globe back to Aunt Jan, who smiled lovingly at all three. Her work here was nearly done.

Rebecca wiped tears from her eyes. "How can we possibly repay you for this, Aunt Jan?"

Aunt Jan handed the globe back to her. "I will ask one thing of you. Take this globe with you; and see that it gets to your friend who you are journeying to visit. Her situation is the same, and yet different, from yours. The image in the globe though will give her peace, just as it will give all of you."

The girls looked at each other in stunned amazement. They were all thinking the same thing. "How did Aunt Jan know about Kathy?"

Of course any woman who knew about "soul catchers" probably knew a lot more than any of the three could imagine. She had even commented that Kathy was the same, and yet different. Obviously, she could even sense that Kathy wasn't just a female in a male's body, but also a child in an adult's body. Whoever this mysterious woman was, she was like no one else they had ever encountered.

Christy posed a question. "How will we get this back to you? I mean we can't trust something like this to the mail service."

The older woman smiled lovingly. "That part is easy. When you wish to return it to me, the three of you hold it in your hands, close your eyes, and simply wish it back to me. When you open your eyes it will be back with me, safe and sound. Now, any other questions my dears?"

Rebecca basically repeated her earlier question. "Is there anything else we can do for you?"

Aunt Jan smiled; and then pointed at the dress Rebecca held in her arms. "Now those I do sell, so you can pay me for that, if you want."

The three sisters hugged their incredible new friend, and then Christy and Misty waved and headed out the door while Rebecca paid Aunt Jan for the dress.

When Rebecca put the money in the older woman's hand, Aunt Jan squeezed it lovingly and then held it as she spoke softly. "Rebecca, your friend you are about to go see needs you. She needs all three of you, but especially you. Your destinies are linked by perhaps the strongest bond of all. Without you, my dear, her dream will never be. This is why I must ask you to do something very important. YOU must be the one to give her the globe, and YOU must hold it with her, and when both of you look into the globe she will see her soul and all will be made clear."

Rebecca gave Aunt Jan a puzzled look and started to ask some very logical questions, but the wise woman silenced her quickly. "Child, I know you don't understand why I am asking this of you, and you have so many questions, but I can tell you no more for now. Your heart and your mind can barely believe what I have shared with you so far. If I told you the whole truth, you'd think me a crazy old woman for sure. Please, you must trust me. Do what I ask and all dreams will be realized in such a way that your four souls will know peace. I promise you dear, you will understand in time."

Aunt Jan then hugged Rebecca and sent her out to join her two sisters. She glanced out the window as the oldest sister hurried to catch up with her younger siblings. She smiled at their image. She knew they were women the moment she had laid eyes on them. Within 24 hours, the rest of the world will see the souls she had seen the first moment.

The three women walked back to the gas station, paid the kind attendant and began the long drive again. Not one of the three travelers thought to look back through the rear window at the gas station and bookstore. If they had, they would have seen both places disappear as they pulled back onto the highway.

The Cherokee was quiet. Each woman was reviewing the image they had found. Misty finally broke the silence. "So ... either one of you two want to share
what you saw? I mean, I will tell if you want me to."

Christy rubbed her chin and thought deeply. "I don't know. I mean, if this thing doesn't work then talking about it is going to make it even more painful."

Rebecca was still driving but able to voice her opinion. "I don't mind sharing, but I think I would rather it be a surprise, and trust me, you both are in for a surprise!"

Christy tapped Rebecca's shoulder from the back seat. "I'll tell ya something, kid. If this thing works, surprised ain't going to be the half of it."

Rebecca debated on whether she should mention Aunt Jan's final request to her sisters. Realizing that if she told them, it wouldn't make any more sense than it did to her, she decided to stay silent and just wait to see what would happen.

Rebecca drove until about 8 and then they stopped and finally got those hot cakes that Christy had been dreaming of. After breakfast, they decided it might be wise to get settled in a motel room and wait this thing out. There was no telling what could happen if one of them was driving when the change occurred.

They had less than 18 hours to wait. As long as there were no complications, they could still make it to Kathy's by late tomorrow night.

Nothing much happened that day. Misty got hit on by a couple of guys at the motel pool and Rebecca spent the day fawning over the baby of the couple who had the room next door. Christy struck up a friendship with the older couple that ran the motel. She helped the woman fold bed sheets, and then fixed the ice machine for the man. By ten o'clock that night, they were all three uncharacteristically sleepy, and by midnight, they were all asleep.

Rebecca was the first one to wake up that morning; and her yelling woke the other two immediately afterwards. It had worked. Oh girl had it worked! Misty had changed the least of the three, while Rebecca and Christy had changed so much that Misty had to turn in their room keys, as the owners would never have recognized her two "new" sisters. They were three very different versions of beauty, but they were the same in one regard, they were at last in complete harmony. Their bodies and souls had become one.

They had to make a few quick pit stops that morning. Mostly, it was because none of either Rebecca's nor Christy's old clothes would do justice to the new bodies each possessed, and after waiting so long to have them, they were wanting to showcase them.

By noon they were famished; and they stopped for lunch at a roadside cafe.

They had spent the morning comparing their new physical attributes. Rebecca was finally ready to share with them one physical attribute that neither of her sisters possessed. The waitress went first to Misty, then Christy before settling on Rebecca.

When Rebecca asked for a large serving of macaroni and cheese topped with hot fudge sauce, Misty's eyes grew wide.

Christy went positively pale when the waitress asked Rebecca when she was due.

Rebecca smiled demurely, and said she was only eight weeks along. The waitress extended her congratulations and went to get the orders.

Rebecca stared at her shocked sisters. Finally she had to say something. "What?"

Misty answered her dryly. "Oh, nothing really, my sister orders mac and cheese with fudge sauce, and tells the waitress she eight weeks prego. Nothing, really, I guess."

Rebecca rolled her eyes and answered defensively. "Well...I was going to tell you guys; but I wasn't sure if I was really pregnant until we walked in here. I mean, I thought I was, but I was almost afraid it was just a dream. But, when I saw macaroni and cheese, and hot fudge for sundaes, well...I just had to have them. I mean, like life or death, have them.”

Christy quipped, "You eat that combination, and you'll have that death part."

Rebecca continued. "I'm serious. Until we walked in here, I wasn't sure if I was pregnant. I didn't tell you guys; but when I saw the image of my soul I knew she was pregnant. I couldn't see it in her image, but I could feel it. I was sure she was eight weeks pregnant. That number came to my mind as soon as I saw her. I wanted to be pregnant so bad, but I didn't want to tell you guys until I was sure. Once I started getting cravings, I was sure. Actually, I guess we should stop at a drug store and get a home pregnancy test, just to be positively positive."

Rebecca smiled and her face glowed warmly. "But, I'm telling you guys, I already know. I'm pregnant!"

Misty and Christy got up from their chairs and hugged Rebecca.

Christy sat down and shook her head. "So far today, I've been given the body of my dreams, been told I'm going to be an aunt in seven months, and it isn't even one o'clock yet."

The three women laughed, and then two soon-to-be-aunts gasped as Rebecca devoured a combination only a pregnant woman could love. They did stop at the Rexall, and got the pregnancy test. By this time it came as no surprise, Rebecca was now officially pregnant.

The girls drove the rest of the day and evening, arriving late that night at Kathy's house. It had been the greatest day of their lives; and the only thing that could make it better, was to add a little sister to their family.

Kathy buried her head in her hands and wept. At first the girls thought they were tears of joy, but soon realized they were pain-filled sobs, and they crowded around their little sister to find out what was wrong?

Kathy finally regained her composure, and asked them to sit down again.

It was her turn to tell a tale; only this tale didn't have a happy ending. She told them this was a long and confusing story, and to please wait until she was finished before saying anything. She also asked them to think of the person who sat before them as Charlie, and Kathy as the little girl who was her soul. She hoped it might make it a little easier for her sisters to understand as she explained. "The three of you came in here and shared a pretty unbelievable story with me. I listened without interrupting, and waited until you were finished to draw my conclusions. I believe every word you said. There is no doubt in my mind you are genetic women right down to the last xx chromosome; and there is nothing in this world I would rather do than join you and become your full-fledged little sister, but I can't; and if you will allow me, I will tell you why."

Charlie rubbed his tired eyes, and took a deep breath before beginning. "I don't know any easy way to say this; so I'm just going to say it, and then try to explain."

He looked from face to face, and then spoke. "Kathy is dead. I think she died before I ever met you. What you first felt coming to you from the other side of that computer screen was Kathy. More accurately, it was her hopes and dreams, that perhaps by the strength of her will, survived even after she was gone.

As the communications continued, you sensed her anger, her fear and her need. Only that wasn't Kathy any longer, it was the third player in this body.
I refer to it as the "Evil Beast"; and it was using your affection for Kathy to draw attention and sympathy in order to feed its own unquenchable need for both.

"The beast sleeps now, but if it awakens to find you here, it will stop me from telling you the truth. It knows if you find the truth, you won't let it feed from you any longer; and it will have to move on to some other unsuspecting soul to feed from. I pray I will have the time to find the words to convince you of their sincerity."

Charlie rubbed his hands up and down his face. He felt as if he was bordering on insanity, and above all else he was tired, so tired, but he couldn't stop now. The Evil Beast might never give him this chance again. He owed these three women the truth. "In a lot of ways, I probably started life just like the three of you. I was born with the soul of a girl, and the body of a boy. Believe it or not, it wasn't until I went to school that I truly realized I wasn't a little girl.

"That realization so traumatized me, I split into two separate entities. What you see before you is body, intellect, and experience. That is Charlie. All the hopes, dreams, desires, heart and soul stayed within Kathy. We became two incomplete individuals where there should have been one little girl. My job became protecting Kathy at all costs, searching for someway to bring her into reality, and in the meantime, trying to do for her the things she longed to do for herself.

"Kathy had but one job; and that was to survive. She had to survive in a world without parents, without brothers and sisters, and without friends. All she could do was watch through my eyes as other little girls played, laughed, cried, loved, learned and grew. Most importantly, grew. While I aged normally, Kathy didn't grow one day older. All these years had passed; and she was still the same little girl she'd always been. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. What does growing up really consist of anyway? It's a combination of physical changes and learning experiences. Kathy has no physical changes, because she is only an image. I have the body. Kathy had few learning experiences because she could do almost nothing herself. No one can learn FOR you. You can't know that fire is hot until you feel the heat; and, despite my best efforts to shoot baskets for her, she couldn't know the joys of winning a ballgame until she could actually set foot on a court.

"We both came to the realization early in our lives that if I didn't find a way to bring her into reality, she was going to be sentenced to solitary confinement as a permanent child in the prison that was my body. I in turn would be a hapless creature without any drive or ambition, save that of bringing Kathy home.

"It was all sadly ironic. To the outside world I was everything, and no one believed Kathy even existed. Yet actually, Kathy was everything, everything that really mattered. I was nothing, just a vessel carrying an essence. Kathy and I thought we were alone in here, but we weren't. Somewhere in my weakness, I failed to protect Kathy. I let this Evil Beast in. I didn't mean to, but I was weak. Being half of anything is a weakness, and the Evil seized the opportunity to capture the house that was divided against it self.

"At first, I didn't realize it was there. The Beast took Kathy's frustration at being trapped, and mine at being unable to free her; and turned it into childhood and adolescent rage and anger. It took her fear of forever being alone and the hopelessness of my quest, to create a need for attention and sympathy that kept me in and out of psychiatric wards. It drained every ounce of compassion from my friends until they had no more to give; and then, it sent me in search of new ones to drain.

"The Evil Beast is like a weed; once it sinks its roots in; it spreads fast and is nearly impossible to kill. It was growing stronger everyday. It fed from both Kathy and me. For me, it was getting harder to resist its urges for violence, hate and anger. For Kathy, it was just making it harder for her to survive. It was draining her of her strength."

Charlie stopped for a moment to gather his thoughts. He had to make them understand. He just had to! He got out of the recliner and knelt before them. "Each one of you is a soul, just like Kathy was. Two days ago, you were trapped in the wrong body. You know that pain, and how it drains the life force from you. I would be surprised, if each of you hadn't, at times, prayed for death rather than face another day living alone inside that prison: your screams and cries unnoticed, your needs unmet, and your dreams unfulfilled.

“I don't know how you all survived, but I am glad that you did. You deserve to live, same as Kathy did. I don't know if you battled demons and evil beasts. If you did, then perhaps you were stronger than we were. Perhaps the split that created two incomplete entities didn't happen to you, or not to the same degree. Perhaps you were able to find some measure of peace, some common ground that allowed both parts of you a measure of happiness and gave you the strength to resist evil beasts.

"All three of you grew at least into young adult hood. I mean, those aren't little girl bodies that I'm staring at right now. Look, I don't know how you survived, I'm just glad that you did."

The girls had listened to Charlie talk for thirty minutes. His story and Kathy's had reached their hearts, as they knew first hand so much of the pain and hopelessness he described. Tears flowed from all three girls. They had come there to give birth to a new sister, and now they were mourning her passing.

Rebecca could be quiet no longer. "Charlie, when did she die? And please forgive me, I don't mean to doubt you, but are you SURE she is dead? Couldn't she just be quiet or sleeping, or anything but dead?"

Charlie smiled at her. "I'm not upset. You've asked a perfectly logical question. Unfortunately I can't answer your first question exactly. I'm not really sure when she died. I can tell you when she started growing progressively weaker. It began when I contacted a coven of witches about body transformation. That should tell you how desperate I had become. They told me that it was possible to get the body that I wanted, but it would cost me my soul to get it. What good was a little girl's body, without her soul being in it? That would be worse than what I had already.

“We both took that defeat quite hard. It was my last gasp effort at giving her a real girl's body. All I had left to try was feminizing this body and trying to live as a woman. I was hopeful at first, but I lost my enthusiasm after awhile. It was obvious that is wasn't really helping Kathy. I think she did try to make a go of it, but it's nearly as impossible for a little girl to live in a grown woman's world as it is for her to live in a boy's world. She didn't have the maturity or experience to draw from like most 30 something women would, and more importantly, she did not have the desires of an adult woman. She was still waiting to get to the playground and just play.

“Somewhere around the time that I realized that me trying to live as a man-made woman was never going to be a real success, she truly began dying. She started becoming more distant, and I wouldn't feel her presence for days at a time. When she did come back to me, she was always weaker than the time before. Finally, she was gone ever so long, and the next time I sensed her, I knew I was only sensing memories. I knew she had finally grown too weak to fight anymore. An exact time of death I can't give you, but I know she's been gone at least a couple of months. I'm sure of it.

“Once I knew she had left me, my life changed in so many ways. I've continued to take the hormones and live as a woman, but I knew I no longer had a little girl's soul. Of course, I didn't have a man's, either, so perhaps more out of honor to her and the dream that could never be, I continued living as this nearly sexless creature you see before you.

“My priorities changed though. I no longer worried about protecting her. I hoped a great power was doing that. I no longer needed to search for a way to bring her into this world. If her soul returned now, it would be the old fashioned way and perhaps if Mother Nature would give her another chance to be born into this world she would match her up with the right body this time and a loving family to boot.

“My ‘soul’ purpose in life became to find someone else to believe she existed. I failed at bringing her into this world, but if I could bring her WORDS into this world, then perhaps others would feel her life force, and believe she once existed. I owed her at least that much.

“Putting her essence into words would be difficult, but I knew her hopes, her dreams and her wishes, AND I knew that if I just put a pen in my hand, somehow she would guide me.

“What I desperately needed was to find a safe place to take her to, and loving friends who would believe in her and care for her. Crystal's site became the place, and each of you became my friends; and the big sister to a dead little sister. You gave me the encouragement to write, and Kathy's words flowed. Because of you three, and the other kind souls I encountered, Kathy lives. As long as you remember, as long as someone can experience her through these stories, then she lives and the Evil Beast has no dominion.

“I have felt that my purpose on this earth has been complete since I've finished my last story, and evidently God agrees with me."

Charlie paused for a moment. He had given them so much darkness in such a short time, but he had to tell them the rest of the story. They deserved to know the whole truth, and as dark as the rest of it was, it did have a silver lining, if they would only look for it. Taking a deep breath he started again. "I don't know any easy way to say this so I better just say it straight out. I'm dying, kids. I felt for sometime there was something wrong with me, something beyond my dying soul and I was right. I don't know if my body just realized there was no real reason to stick around any more, or if God had mercy on me, but either way, the battle is nearly over. AND...before you ask, I'm sure I'm dying. I got the final tests results from the doctor yesterday. I ought to feel special; it's not a real common illness. I would tell you the name, but I can't even begin to pronounce it. Just trust me, it's always fatal, and my doc says I got maybe six months, seven on the outside. I am so sorry to have to tell you all this, and most of all I am so sorry you all came up here for nothing."

Tears streamed down the cheeks of all three sisters. Misty stood up and went to Charlie, wrapping her arms around him, she hugged him tightly. "We didn't come for nothing. We came to be with our friend and sister, and to hug her and tell her we love her."

Christy and Rebecca joined the two in a group hug, and if for only a moment they were four sisters united. Once the tears subsided and they released their embrace. Rebecca took Charlie's hand in hers. "Charlie, you can't just stay here, and die all alone. Why don't you come with us? We were gonna take Kathy back with us. I think we all would be glad to have you at our place. At least you would be with friends when it came time to go. I don't want you to be sad, frightened and alone with your pain."

Christy and Misty immediately seconded their sister's offer, and added their own pleas for him to come with them.

Charlie was obviously touched by their kind gesture and he smiled warmly at the lovely young angels before him. "Thank you all very much. It means a lot that you would be willing to do that, but trust me, I won't be alone. I've already got a place to go when the time draws near, and while I may feel some pain, I won't be sad or frightened. I've been sad and frightened all my life, but I'm not afraid of death. I welcome it. The Evil Beast that rages within me, it fears death. It knows I will no longer be a tool for it to hurt others, or allow it to use Kathy's memories to trap others, and feed from their kindness. See, the Evil Beast has beaten me badly in several battles, but now I am about to win the war. I honestly don't fear this coming sleep. For me it is a release, for the Evil Beast it will entomb it forever. It will be alone, powerless, and as far as I am concerned, in hell. See, I will be okay, please trust me, I will, but if you really want to do something for me, go out and have a wonderful life. Embrace and experience all the joys that every young woman is entitled to, and of course always remember Kathy. If you can do that for me, I will be happy and Kathy will never really die.”

Charlie dropped his head to his chest; physically and emotionally spent.

Christy took his hand. "I don't want to make this any harder on you, but could I ask you a favor? Maybe it's pointless now, but would there be any harm in you at least holding the globe, just to see if there is any part of her soul left, any part at all?"

Charlie smiled wearily at her. "No child, there is no harm in that, but I already know what I will find. I will either find nothingness, or the face of the Evil Beast. Either way there will be nothing to wish into existence."

Christy handed the globe to Charlie; and he held it in both hands. All three girls prayed for one last miracle. A miracle that might still bring their little sister back to them and still save the fairy tale ending they had hoped for.

Charlie stared intently into the globe for nearly a minute. Tears ran down his cheeks, as he regarded the empty the empty vessel. He sighed deeply and shook his head. The look on his face told them he had seen nothing, nothing at all. There just weren't any more miracles left in that day. He handed the globe to Rebecca, but at the moment their hands both touched it, the auburn-haired young woman suddenly winced in pain and lost her balance. Charlie, dropped the globe to catch the falling angel, and Misty made a diving catch of the magic orb only inches before it would have shattered on the ground. Charlie carried Rebecca over to the couch, with both sisters in tow.

Christy took her hand and searched her sister's eyes. "Hey girl, you gonna be alright. You just about did a swan dive there. You want us to call a doctor or something?"

Rebecca quickly waved her off. "I'll be fine Christy. I just felt this sharp pain, and then I got real dizzy for a minute."

Suddenly her face filled with horror. "Oh no, I dropped the globe! Please tell me I didn't break it!"

Misty squeezed in between Charlie and Christy, and smiling impishly produced the precious parcel. "Ta da! It's in good hands with Misty! All those years of baseball finally paid off. I had to do a head first slide, but I caught it."

Obviously relieved the globe was intact; Rebecca tried to recall exactly what had just happened. "I don't understand where the pain came from. I was feeling fine, and then Charlie handed me the globe ...”

Her voice trailed off for a second, as her mind brought back another piece of the puzzle to her. Her eyes grew wide as she spoke. "I saw something in the globe. I remember now! I saw an image."

She closed her eyes as she tried hard to focus and when she opened them again, a warm smile turned at her lips and she reached out to take Christy's hand. "I saw my baby! I looked in the globe when Charlie handed it to me and saw my baby. I guess it was kinda like an ultrasound, only way better! I'm going to have a beautiful baby with hair and eyes just like mine. It's all so amazing!"

Charlie and the sisters gave Rebecca hugs as she sat up on the couch basking in the glow of the memory. "I'm glad I got the vision, but I don't understand what triggered all this. I was feeling fine, and then when I took the globe I got this sudden pain in my side, almost like a baby kick, only this baby must have been wearing army boots, cause it about doubled me over, and then ... for some reason I felt compelled to look into the globe and that's when I saw my baby for a second. The next thing I know I'm getting all dizzy and well ... it was almost lights out."

Misty shook her head and smiled. "If you ask me, the whole thing is obvious. That macaroni and cheese with fudge sauce is finally coming back to haunt you!"

Rebecca's emerald green eyes sparkled as a thought came to her. "Charlie, for a second we were both holding the globe. Did you see anything? Did you feel anything? Did you see my baby?"

Her friend shook his head. "I'm sorry, Rebecca. I wish I could say I did, but I really wasn't paying any attention to the globe. As soon as you started to fall, I just grabbed you and never gave the globe a second look. I just wanted to be sure "momma" didn't go bounce! I'll tell you something, though. I don't have to see know vision in a globe to know that she's gonna be a beautiful girl just like her momma, and very lucky to have such a loving family as the three of you."

Rebecca gave her friend a light peck on the cheek and smiled warmly at him, but the smile faded quickly as it was replaced by a puzzled frown. "Charlie, how did you know I was going to have a girl? I never said my baby was a girl. I know I didn't. I wanted that to be a surprise, so I deliberately avoided saying that."

Charlie shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "I don't know, Rebecca. I promise you I didn't see an image in the globe or even look into the globe, but I just knew you were having a little girl. Maybe it was just a lucky guess, or perhaps the gods did give me a sneak preview since I won't be fortunate enough to be here to welcome that little angel into the world."

Rebecca hugged her friend tightly, and having fully recovered from the effects of her "spell", she knew it was time to go. The girls stood up to leave but their dying friend asked them to wait a moment before they left. He went through the blanket-covered archway, and returned immediately with a stuffed lion. "This lion was Kathy's. It was the only thing in the real world she ever had. I know she would want you to have it, and if you want to share it with your daughter I think Kathy would really like that."

Charlie handed the lion to Rebecca. She swallowed hard; too overcome by emotion, she just nodded and clutched the lion to her chest.

Charlie led the three women to the door, stopping one last time to regard them. "I know you will see that her stories get published on the Internet in some form; but if you will, I have one last request. I have shared with you things I have shared with no one. Only one other person felt Kathy's presence when she was alive. I realize that you never really got to meet her, but you are kindred spirits of sorts. If her stories have touched you, then please carry some piece of her in your heart, and think of her from time to time. I don't care if you forget me as soon as you walk off this porch; but please remember that little girl. Remember Kathy."

Each of the girls hugged Charlie, wiped the tears from their eyes, walked out the door, and returned to where they first had stood on the street. The three held the globe in their hands. They knew its work was done here. They closed their eyes and thought of Aunt Jan. When they opened their eyes it was gone.

Silently they returned to the car. Christy and Misty got in to the back while Rebecca walked to the driver's side. Sliding into the front seat, she clutched the stuff lion to her breast. She rocked it close and like her sisters behind her, her thoughts were still with her dying friend and the little sister they would never bring home. The young woman looked down at the well-worn lion, and solemnly promised him that her own daughter would give him the same love that little Kathy had.

She knew there was nothing left to do but begin the long drive home, yet in her heart she knew this was not the way this story was supposed to end. A voice kept telling her she was missing something. She didn't know what it could be, but she felt as if it was just sitting right in front of her if only she would look. Perhaps it was just the fact that she didn't want to admit that Kathy was gone, but whatever it was, it started her thinking. As she replayed the events of the last few days, one thing just didn't make sense. Turning to her sisters she shared it with them. "Guys, there's one thing I just don't understand."

Misty raised her head off Christy's shoulder to answer her. "What's that sis?"

Rebecca sighed heavily and began. "Aunt Jan knew we needed the soul catcher and she knew that in our souls we were women. She also knew that we were going to see Kathy, and that she needed the soul catcher. I'd say she probably knew a whole lot more than she ever told us."

Christy nodded in agreement. "I'll agree with you there. She has got to be one of wisest, most magical people I have ever met, but what's that really got to do with anything?"

Rebecca frowned as her eyes sparkled a deep emerald green. "I'll tell ya what I can't get. How could anyone as all knowing as Aunt Jan tell us to take this soul catcher to Kathy and not know her soul was already long gone? I can't believe she would know everything else and not know this. It just doesn't make sense."

Misty and Christy looked at each other in amazement. Rebecca was right. That was strange.

Christy shook her head as she spoke. "Yeah, that is weird. I'm with you. I can't believe she would make that mistake either, but I guess somehow she did. I mean, we were all there, and Charlie held the globe and he didn't see a thing."

Misty struggled to hold back her tears as her heart was breaking. "It's just all so sad. I mean here we three are with the bodies of our dreams and a life just waiting for us to live it. We come to get our little sister and make everything perfect and we find out she's dead, our friend is dying, and we can't do a thing to save either. Rebecca, the only bright spot in coming here is when Charlie handed you the globe and you saw your baby. Poor Kathy, why did we have to be too late?"

Christy hugged her little sister as she collapsed in her arms and sobbed. Rebecca reached back to caress her little sister's shoulder when suddenly Misty's words came back to her, and that thing she knew she had been missing, suddenly became clear.

The picture of her taking the globe from Charlie reminded her of the promise she had made to Aunt Jan, a promise that had been forgotten in all that had happened since she had arrived at Charlie's. Aunt Jan had instructed her that SHE must hold the globe with Charlie when he gazed into it. It had to be her, as for some reason their destinies were linked and without her, Kathy's dream would never be realized. She had promised Aunt Jan faithfully she would do it, but it was Christy that had handed him the globe and he had seen nothing, BUT...when they both touched it, even if it was just for a moment, something had definitely happened. She not only saw an image, but felt that image within her. Charlie hadn't seen a thing, but he did say he wasn't looking.

More pieces to the puzzle started coming together for the young woman, and the picture they were forming was undeniable, absolutely incredible, but nonetheless undeniable. Rebecca knew she was about two months pregnant, which just happened to correspond pretty close to the time that Charlie thought Kathy had died, and ... could it be a coincidence that if she carried her child full term, that her birth would also correspond with about the same time the doctors told Charlie he could expect to die?

Aunt Jan said that if she told her the truth she would never believe her. If this truth was what Rebecca believed it to be, Aunt Jan was right. She would never have believed her, then. She could barely believe it now. The real question was ... would Christy and Misty believe her.

Rebecca extended her hands back toward her sisters and each took one. Looking from sister to sister, she began the tale. "What would you two say if told you that maybe ... just maybe, we weren't too late? What if Kathy was still alive only ... not inside Charlie, but someplace else?"

Misty eyed her suspiciously. Christy wiped a tear from her face and spoke. "Girl, if you got some kind of good news, now would be a real good time to share it."

Rebecca smiled nervously and continued. "Look, I'm trying to tell you something, and I know you are going to think I'm crazy. Aunt Jan said I would think SHE was crazy if she'd told me the truth then, and come to think of it, I would've."

Christy squeezed her hand. "Look Rebecca, whatever it is, just say it before you drive ME crazy!"

The auburn-haired beauty nodded and began again. "I talked to Aunt Jan after you two headed out to the car. She told me something pretty wild. She told me that my destiny and Kathy's were somehow linked, and that she would need me to make her dream come true. Aunt Jan also told me that I needed to hold the globe with Kathy in order for her to see her soul. She told me that I would understand everything then, but I guess I was so upset thinking Kathy had died that I forgot Aunt Jan's words. Christy, you gave Charlie the globe and he saw nothing. It was only at that brief moment when he handed it to me, and we both touched it, that anything happened. I saw my baby, but I didn't see what Aunt Jan was trying to tell me. It was only after Misty brought it up again, did I make the connection. Now I realize why we needed to hold the globe together, and if I'm right, and I pray that I am, Kathy IS coming back to us. Only ... when I tell you HOW she's coming back to us, you might not believe me."

Misty leaned toward Rebecca. "Crazy is eating macaroni and cheese with hot fudge sauce. Unbelievable is the way the three of us look now. Kathy coming back to us without the soul catcher would be a miracle! So ... if you got a miracle in your pocket sis, I want to see it."

Rebecca rubbed her stomach lovingly. "I think I'm carrying that miracle, but she ain't in my pocket, Misty."

Christy and Misty's eyes grew wide as they realized what Rebecca was trying to tell them. They tightly hugged their big sister and miracle carrier. It was crazy and unbelievable, but it was the only explanation that made sense, and they knew in their heart it had to be true.

Rebecca finally released herself from the embrace and turned to start the car. Now she knew it was finally time to go. As she fired up the Cherokee and impish grin spread across her face. Smiling, and glancing into the rear view mirror, she spoke. "I guess we really don't have to have that baby naming party after all do we?"

The girls in the back smiled and laughed. Everyone was happy and they had good reason to be. Their dreams had been realized and now they knew their friend’s would be too. There was only one thing left to do.

Rebecca opened the door and wiggled out from behind the wheel. She looked down at her tummy.

“C’mon Kathy …. Let’s go tell Charlie he’s coming home after all.”

HUGS

Edited by shalimar

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Migratiion of the Soul

littlerocksilver's picture

Sweet Maggie,

Another enjoyable effort from you. I knew where it was going pretty early and that's alright. I like guessing right once in a while. :) Portia

Portia

same old song

thanks for the kind comment littlerocksilver, but I'm not surprised you sused this one out early. As I look back over most of my stories there is a pretty obvious recurrent theme. Girl is trapped in boys body ... Girl gets sex change ... girl still wants to be little girl ... magic comes along and makes her dream come true. Sometimes it probably does seem like I'm just putting new words to the same old song, and sometimes that is exactly what I'm doing.

Once in awhile I do a variation on the theme. To all of you who read the same old story with different names and places and find something in each one you enjoy, I say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to read what I've shared and letting me know it made you smile or cry or think.

Perhaps in the future I might just surprise you all. I wouldn't count on it, but a girl's gotta try.

hugs and love from Maggie

Maggies Gift To Us All...

Kitten has a gift that no on has yet has even come close to (too?). Giggle.

Child speak! No one does child speak better than Maggie! She inspired me and I used or tried to use child speak in two of my stories, "Why Me?" being my latest effort in using child speak. I think I did okay with it, not great, but okay adding another nice element to a story my readers could enjoy.

Maggie has a gift that brings us back to our early years, we laugh. we cry, we remember either looking pretty or ugly within ourselves. We get angry, we feel joy, sadness, but most of all we "FEEL" her stories in our hearts.

Maybe a lot of them like my stories are on a recurring theme, but how she writes them and the variations get us hooked every time! I know I'm hooked every time!

Maggie, I thank you little one! You have the gift of internal eternal youth and you have blessed us all with your gift.

Huggles, Snuggles and Snigs Kitten!

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

thanks angel sis

thank you so much for your kind words. I have always looked up to you as a person, as a writer, as a big sister and as an angel. You will always be the kind of girl I wish I could grow up to be like.

You have your own very unique gift that you weave into your stories that give them their magic. You too understand the child and there is a lot of little angel within you.

You have given me the greatest compliment of all ... you told me that you FEEL my stories. I suppose above all else I hope that someone will FEEL what I write and not just read it. I think everyone who writes and shares hopes that those who read will feel the story, will get the message, will see what you are trying so hard to get them to see, and sometimes to believe in something that in the outside world their eyes would say is not true.

I see and feel you in your stories, the true angel spirit, and if you can see the true Kitten in between the lines then I have suceeded at what I wanted most. In most stories I put myself in two times. Once as I see myself in the mirror and once as I feel my spirits true image is. The first image isn't so important as anyone with eyes can see that, but the second one means everything to me because that's the one you can only see with the open heart, and I need that part of me to have recognition.

I guess then that does make me selfish in my writings being that my first goal is for the reader to look at the real me and believe what they see, but my second goal truly is to make the reader smile or laugh or cry or think. When they are done ... I just want them to feel that they hadn't wasted the forty five minutes or an hour. I suppose every writer who shares wants that.

Angel you are a true angel in every sense of the word. Please continue to shine your light, help those who need it, teach us all by example and write when the moose whispers.

hugs and love to all

Maggie

Giggle, giggle. My moose never whispers Kitten!

She SCREAMS in my ear! Giggle, giggle.

Maggie, you aren't selfish when you put yourself in your stories Kitten! You are sharing more of yourself and I believe that is where the emotions, the feel of the story really reaches the readers each and every time you write one of your gems.

Yes Kitten, I do "FEEL" your stories and they reach directly into my heart. That is your gift as well along with your eternal internal youth!

Huggles, Snuggles and Snigs Kitten

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

I loved it,

NoraAdrienne's picture

The first time I read it back in 2006, and I still love it now. Getting a chance to reread a favorite story is like going back for that 2nd serving of Death By Chocolate ice cream. Better and better.

Bright Blessings

Maggie's gift

Wonderful story Maggie. Once again you've done it! That Black beast waits out there for all of us, but Kathy slipped by it. Beautiful!

Hugs!

grover

you rock girl

Maggie Just to let you know I felt the same this time as I did the last time I read it.
You do have a way and as I said you have a gift girl. You touch so many with your stories as they come to life You are so special.

I wish you enough Mickie

MICKIE

Soul Catcher

Reminds me of your story One Last Shot, Maggie. Yes, I cried tears of joy reading this great tale. Thank you for posting.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So long time without comments?

I have to change that!

Your wonderful story just appeared at the "Random Solos" and I just had to read it again.
Like every time I read it before I enjoyed reading it very much.
Your writing makes it very easy for me to get into the story, to be right there with this wonderful group of loving people.

Martina