War and Peace Pt 3

Printer-friendly version

War and Peace

By

Jacquimac

Part Three

Winter arrived with a vengence, the first night we had a blizzard and woke to find the snow at least six feet deep.

We took the best part of a week clearing the snow to get to the livestock pens, meeting hall and homes with everyone pitching in.

As luck had it i managed to scrounge some medicines from the medical centre at the new administration centre before the bad weather hit us and with the supplies I had brought when I first arrived figured we would have enough to see us though.

It would be at least three months before the thaw set in and access to and from the settlement even by helicopter was not possible, this would give me at least that long to get used to my new and temporary role in the settlement.

The first couple of weeks were the busiest with clearing the snow and getting better organised especially were the children were concerned.

Before the war the men folk did all the manual labour but since they were now in captivity it was left to the women and with that and having to look after their families it took a lot out of them, I did as much as possible to make the manual tasks easier for them.

Eventually we settled into a routine that suited everyone, I was kept busy in the evenings learning to behave like a female and was gradually finding it easier although I was having trouble getting used to young Adrian calling me mummy.

The baby was being looked after by another of the young mothers in the settlement although during the day I had to spend a few hours with her.

Before the winter hit us I had uncovered my SMG and applied a heavy coat of grease to prevent it from rusting solid before burying it again, my uniform I noticed was missing and was told it had been destroyed in case it was accidently found.

That meant I was stuck in dresses and skirts no matter what happened until I either managed to get to our own lines or the war ended. I was starting to feel trapped.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

War and Peace Pt 3

Like the pic of the Military Ambulance.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine