Tropical Twist - 2

Printer-friendly version

The five airmen have hidden in a native village and have been accepted by the locals. One of them appears to have caught a rare ailment, however.

Tropical Twist

2 - m'Lanui

by Penny Lane

"Why, Doc? Why me?"

"We've been asking ourselves that since you fell - ill. We've no idea. I'll talk to the headman soon as I can find him and see if he confirms my diagnosis. Of course, he said, didn't he, that the elder women of the tribe will guide you. I wondered why he said it that way, I took him to mean they would look after you. That's not what he meant at all. Shit. Fighting the Japs I can cope with, how are we going to deal with this?"


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2010 Penny Lane. All rights reserved. Don't expect this to be historically accurate in any way.



Three mornings later, Paul came out of the house onto the porch just as Doc was walking across the clearing towards him. When Doc saw Paul he stopped involuntarily, shocked by what he had just realised was happening to Paul.

"G'day, Doc. Hey, what's the matter? You look as white as a sheet. Seen a ghost?"

"Something like that." Doc recovered his poise and climbed the ladder, his mind still shocked by his discovery and by the different complexion it suddenly put on their position. "G'day to you. Look, Paul, if you don't mind, I've just noticed something, and I'd like to confirm it by giving you a thorough physical examination. Would you mind coming back into the house?"

"Sure, Doc. What have you figured out, then?"

"Tell you in a minute. Let's go out the other end of the house, so we can get enough light for me to examine you without drawing a crowd."

"Whatever you say, Doc."

Doc gave Paul the most complete examination he had ever given anyone, ending by asking Paul to take the grass skirt off and lie on the back porch and open his legs. Paul's penis was a mere nub, and behind it were distinct signs of definite developing bodily structures. Taken with the evidence he should have noticed previously, the conclusion was unmistakeable. Doc sighed.

"Okay, Paul, I've seen enough, and I now know what km'lilleh is. Put your skirt back on and come inside. We have to have a talk."

Inside, they sat and Paul turned his face expectantly towards Doc. Doc could see it now, now that his attention had been alerted by other aspects of what was happening. The face was softer, more rounded. The mouth had definitely changed shape, had become more - feminine. There, he had admitted it to himself. Now, to try and convince Paul that neither of them was crazy.

"Paul," he began, and then failed. This person sitting in front of him wasn't going to be 'Paul' for much longer, was he? Or should that be she? He began again.

"Paul, you're turning into a woman," Doc said quickly, to get it out in the open. "Down below, your dick has almost gone, and you have the beginnings of a woman's equipment forming between your legs."

Paul's eyes were wide. "Doc? You can't be serious."

Doc sighed, and his shoulders dropped. "Deadly serious. I only realised it when I saw you come out onto the porch this morning. What I saw in the daylight for the first time was a female silhouette. What I hadn't noticed before, and neither had you, is that you have started developing breasts. The dye hides the big circles round the nipples that women have, and you thought the rest was flab. The fat you've been putting on has changed your shape. I watched you walk through the house just now and you walk like a Sheila. Oh, yes, I'm serious, all right."

"Why, Doc? Why me?"

"We've been asking ourselves that since you fell - ill. We've no idea. I'll talk to the headman soon as I can find him and see if he confirms my diagnosis. Of course, he said, didn't he, that the elder women of the tribe will guide you. I wondered why he said it that way, I took him to mean they would look after you. That's not what he meant at all. Shit. Fighting the Japs I can cope with, how are we going to deal with this?"

"Excuse me, Doc, if you're right, I've got bigger problems than that. What am I going to do? Are you absolutely sure you know what you're saying?"

"Paul, there are no mirrors in this village. I don't think you've looked at yourself for weeks, have you? You look more like a woman now than a man, although the change is slow enough we haven't really noticed it happening. Come to that, when was the last time you shaved?"

"You know, Doc, I never shaved that much before anyway. I think I shaved once after we came here." Paul ran his hand over his chin, realising that the skin was very soft and smooth. "Oh, shit."

"Yeah. Have you touched your skin lately? Soft as anything. I bet you thought most of that was from being overweight. Somehow, I don't think it is."

Paul looked at Doc, his eyes large and round and troubled.

"What am I going to do, Doc? I'm a man! I know nothing about a woman's world, except what I've seen in the magazines in the squadron ready room, and I don't think I believe most of that stuff."

"We'll look after you, just like we've been doing so far. You'll need the women of the tribe to help you understand the basics. Heck. There are a whole load of implications to this I haven't even had a chance to consider, yet. Look, just stay in here quietly this morning and let the women look after you. Have a think about what might be happening. Just as important, have a think about anything that might have caused this. If any more of us start changing, we're in big trouble."

"Okay, Doc." Tears trickled down Paul's face as the reality of the situation hit home. "Is there any chance you might be wrong? Any at all?"

Doc shook his head. "Don't think so. Look, I know of certain herbs which can make breasts grow on men, but they don't do to people what I saw between your legs. They don't stop you shaving, and they don't change the shape of your face. Or body. I reckon you've got a one-way ticket, Paul. Sorry."

Doc stood, and walked towards the entrance to the house, where two women were waiting to attend to Paul.

"Look," he said, turning, "The lads are out picking fruit this morning. When they get back here at lunchtime, I'll call a meeting of us five and we'll discuss the whole matter. We'll have to do it, it's going to affect us all. I can barely figure out my own reaction to discovering this as it is. Can you manage that?"

"Yes, of course, Doc. And - thanks."

"What for? I've just booted you clear out into the unknown. We need to help you - us - through all this."

When Joe, Les and Jack came back laden with baskets of fruit picked in the forest they were joking and laughing with several of the young men they had become fast friends with. Their expressions faded rapidly when the saw the grim look on Doc's face.

"Doc?" Joe asked. "Is it Paul? Is he okay?"

Doc nodded. "Yes, he's okay, and I think he's going to be okay. He seems to be improving now, not so tired, although he's still eating like a horse."

Joe looked relieved. "That's great! It's a shame he's been stuck in the village while we've all been out having so much fun. But why the long face?"

"Joe, we have to talk. All of us. Now. Paul's situation is serious."

"I thought you just said -" Joe started, but stopped at the expression in Doc's eyes.

"Find a place where we can sit down," Doc said, "I'll fetch Paul. It's lunch time, you might as well organise us some food and drink."

Doc came back with Paul, who was carrying a grass mat. The other three watched him carefully as he folded it into a pad and lowered himself onto it beside them. Doc sat down beside Paul, and put an arm round his shoulder. The touch of Paul's skin shocked Doc again, as he realised that his subconscious was already treating Paul's body as female.

"Paul here is not actually ill, as we define the term," Doc began. "He's turning into a woman."

Jack had been drinking water from a gourd and it sprayed out of his mouth.

"Strewth!" said Les. "Doc, that's not funny."

"Indeed it isn't, Les."

"You're serious?" Les looked at Paul, and his jaw dropped. "Christ, it's true."

"How long have you known?" Joe asked.

"This morning, when I first saw him standing in broad daylight. Up till now we've mostly visited inside the house. I'm sorry, Paul, I'm going to have to describe you like I would a specimen."

"That's okay, Doc."

"You can't see very clearly inside, and it wasn't that obvious on the porch, but if you look at his chest you can see breasts developing. See the large circles round his nipples under the dye? And his nipples are larger. Look at his face shape, it's changed. We've been seeing him every day, and we just haven't noticed because it's been so gradual. There are no mirrors in the village, so he hasn't seen what we can see now. He's shaved just once since he's been in the village. His waist is slimmer, but his hips and thighs are larger. He even walks differently. His voice is changing, it's lighter."

"What about... down below?" asked Les. "You told us before that his balls had gone... oh, shit, yes, they would, wouldn't they?"

"Would you mind showing them, Paul? I'm sorry to ask you to do this, but we all have an interest in this in case it happens to anyone else."

"Yes, of course."

Paul shifted his position on the mat, and then lifted up the front of the skirt. There were several whistles followed by complete silence. Paul lowered the skirt again.

"I haven't worn the jockstrap for a week," he commented. "Didn't seem to be a lot of point."

There was further silence, and then Doc turned to Joe.

"Skip? Do you realise the problems we're going to have to face?"

Joe screwed up his eyes, and then looked at Doc. "Sort of. I'm sure you'll help us come to grips with whatever's happening."

"I dunno, Skip. This isn't something that's ever needed to be faced before, I reckon. How often do men spontaneously change into women? I'm still trying to get my own brain round the idea. I'm sorry, Paul, but my mind doesn't think of you as a bloke any more. If you keep changing, it's inevitable that we're going to treat you differently. I'm not sure I like the idea of that, but I'm not sure we can continue treating you the same as before."

"You're right," added Joe. "Before, we were five crew mates. Heck, we're still five crew mates, but I know what you mean, it's not going to be the same. Look, we're still a team, and I think we have to tackle this as a team. Agreed?"

The rest of them nodded, distracted by the impossible puzzle they had just been given.

"So," Joe continued, "we talk about this together, okay? We all have to come to terms with this, Paul as much as any of us. I suggest we have five, ten minutes together every day to talk about what's going on in our heads. Maybe together we can make some sense out of what's happening."

"What about the tribespeople?" asked Jack. "They knew about this, come-lily after all."

Doc shook his head. "It's too far back in history. All they have is a rumour of a legend, a spirit that came out of the forest and changed someone many years ago. Perhaps. Now I understand what's going on, I can talk to some of the older folk and try and get a sense of what they want to do about it. I don't think Paul is in any danger, from what I've seen so far. They are treating him with great respect, which is probably right if he's been inhabited by a forest spirit."

During the afternoon Joe and Jack went hunting, while Les taught some of the younger men the art of knife-throwing, using some of the better trade knives available in the village. Les had often used his knife skills to knock over rabbits on the farm where he had grown up, and the occasional dingo or smaller marsupial. Doc spent the afternoon in the house with Paul and a number of the older village women. After the evening meal the five gathered near one of the communal fires to talk.

"It was a bit strange," said Doc, "at first the women assessed Paul as a potential husband, just like they assessed all of us when we appeared. Oh, not obviously," he said as they looked at one another, "but every man and woman does that sort of thing all the time, whether they realise it or not. Still, once the headman had recognised km'lilleh and explained it to them they were quite happy to welcome him into their ranks. As time progresses and it becomes more obvious what's happening, the move seems natural."

"Well, it doesn't seem natural to me," said Jack with feeling.

"That's because we're all mates," said Joe. "We've known Paul for some time, the village folk have only known him, what, couple of months? Three? We've got an existing relationship that's suddenly changed on us, and we have to try and work it out."

"You're right there," said Les. He looked fully at Paul. "Now don't take this the wrong way, or anything, and I'm not really sure I want to say this, but here goes. I was thinking about you while I was out with the lads earlier. I was thinking of what you'd be like as a woman rather than as a man. I tried to imagine what you'd look like in a few months, and without the dye. I guess, I guess," he suddenly lowered his eyes and looked at his feet, "you could look rather pretty. For a Sheila, that is."

Paul looked tremendously embarrassed, as did Les. Joe cleared his throat.

"Mates, I've been wondering about that myself. Is it going to be a problem to anyone? We don't need that kind of thing going on right now, so can I ask you all to keep hands off? That includes you, Paul."

"Skip, I wouldn't -" Paul protested. "You're all like brothers to me. Always have been. You lot are the nearest thing I've ever had to a family. I'd like it to stay that way."

"That's what I'd hoped you'd say, but I still have to draw the line. None of you must forget, we're still servicemen, and there's still a war going on."

"Skip," asked Jack, "what's going to happen when the Japs get kicked off the island and we have to go back to Oz? They're never going to let Paul fly again. How are we going to explain what's happened, anyway? No-one's going to believe us."

"Shit. I hadn't got as far as considering what happens when we get to leave the island. Doc?"

"I had, but only briefly. That was enough to make me want to think about deserting, Skip." Doc waved his hands over the group. "We have to think about all possible ways we can play this, mates. We're probably going to get debriefed, and we want to make sure we've covered all the possible answers. I guess most of the thoughts I've had so far indicate the end of Paul Davis."

"What do you mean? You're not going to abandon me, are you?"

"I don't think so, but consider: Paul Davis has a service record, and shortly you're going to look nothing like Paul Davis. In fact, you probably don't look much like him now. His sister, maybe, but not like his photo in the files. If that's the case, just exactly who are you going to be?"


~o~O~o~

"I was thinking," said Jack. "You mentioned earlier that we have no mirrors in the village. Well, I know the crate had some mirrors. What do you say Les and I and a couple of the lads go over there tomorrow and we do a bit of salvage?"

"Sounds like a reasonable move," replied Joe. "After all, we've been here what, a couple of months now, and we all understand what works and what doesn't, unlike when we first came here. I think there are one or two items we might find useful, if we can get to the wreck and back safely, and of course, if the Japs didn't trash it when they found it."

"If it's just mirrors you want," suggested Les, "there are signalling mirrors in the dingy kits. Would one of those do?"

"I'd forgotten those. They're a bit small," considered Joe. "I'll ask the headman about an expedition. If he says no, we can try one of the signal mirrors. I don't think they are big enough to show Paul very much, though."

The headman liked Jack's idea, but insisted that no less than six of the young men accompanied Jack and Les. The trip would have other uses, since most of the area round the village had been hunted out because of the restrictions the Japanese had placed on them. A survey of an as-yet untouched hunting range seemed a prudent idea given the circumstances. They were to leave at first light the following morning.


~o~O~o~

Joe, Doc and Paul watched the salvage party depart early the following morning before joining the villagers in breakfast. While they were eating, Joe decided to bring up some comments made in private the previous evening.

"Doc, both Les and Jack have told me privately that they are having difficulty talking about Paul's predicament. I can understand their reluctance to talk, it's not really something a bloke does, is it?"

Doc extracted a fruit pip before replying. "They didn't seem to be too bothered yesterday, did they? I guess it's half embarrassment and half morbid curiosity, with a dash of Stiff Upper Lip thrown in for good measure. We can't force them, but I personally - and professionally - believe it will be good for all of us if they do, for two reasons. Firstly, it might help Paul here through whatever's happening to him. That's assuming that he - or she - is going to be all right, and that the tribesmen know what they are talking about. The other reason we have to keep it out in the open is that Paul may just be the first, what's happened to him may happen to any of us in the future."

"I agree," added Paul. "I still want to be considered one of the team, whatever I look like. I understand Les and Jack's problem all too well, but if they back off and treat me as an exhibit in a freak show, it's going to be much harder for me to get through this. The tribesmen and women are all giving me support, but I need the support of my team mates as well. I know both of you are doing your best, but we need Les and Jack as well. We can't afford anything that might cause extra problems while we're in the village."

Joe nodded. "You're both right. I'll do my best, but there's that old saying about taking a horse to water, you know? Don't worry, Paul, I think their hearts are in the right place, even if their minds are a bit confused about what's going on."

Mid-afternoon the party returned, both Les and Jack carrying bags of recovered items, their companions bringing food hanging in net bags from the end of their spears. After getting a welcome drink the five got together.

"Japs trashed most of the plane, took off practically everything possible to remove," Les reported. "However, they didn't find the tail section, which was just as well, as Robbie's body was still in the turret. It was jammed a hundred feet up between two tall trees about two hundred yards downhill from the rest of the wreckage. Nevertheless, we managed to find some useful bits and pieces. Here, Paul, this is for you."

Les dug unto his bag and pulled out the cockpit mirror, normally fixed to the outside of the canopy so that the pilot had a rear view, and handed it to Paul. He held it up and examined his face, turning it different ways to catch the light. As he understood the transformation of his features, tears formed at the corners of his eyes and began trickling down his cheeks.

"Oh. Sorry, Paul, I didn't -"

"It's okay, Les. It's happening, I have to get used to it. It's just a shock, the last time I saw my own face was in the bathroom the morning before we went out on the mission," Paul replied. "I hadn't realised how much it had changed."

Les dug out another mirror. "This one's from the rear turret." He looked at Joe. "We had a job getting up to the turret, but it was worth it. We got Robbie's body - what was left of it - out and buried him. We also found these up there." He held out a notepad and pencil. "You ought to have these, you might want to write up a log or something."

Joe took the items. "It's an idea, but I'll have to find somewhere secure to hide them if a patrol comes through. Anything else?"

Les said, "The bomb sight was completely mangled, of course, but I managed to salvage out some lenses. I thought the locals might find them useful for making fires and such. I'll present them to the chief later on."

Jack held up the bag he was carrying. "This seemed like a good idea," he said, pulling out the contents. He held up Robbie's parachute pack, still with harness attached. "This was still hung in the fuselage in front of the rear turret. Doesn't seem to be damaged at all."

Joe looked puzzled. "What do we want with a parachute? We can't all jump off the cliffs with it."

Jack grinned. "I'm thinking ahead. Paul can't wear a grass skirt when we get rescued, can he? Or should that be she?"

Paul cleared his throat. "Actually, I'll be a he for a few days yet. I had a talk with some of the tribal elders today. It seems there'll be a full moon in five days. They are thinking up a ceremony to be held then, to officially change me over from man to woman. I take it you think we can make up some clothes from the parachute silk?"

"You got it." Jack grinned.

Joe asked, "Who's going to make these clothes? And what with? See any needle and thread lying around, or a sewing machine? And what if the Japs see the clothes?"

Jack's face fell. "Hadn't got that far, skip. Just thought that having the silk here would be useful. I hadn't thought of doing anything with it till the Japs are driven out anyway. We can't stop being tribesmen till then."

"Perhaps not for a while afterwards," muttered Doc. "This skin dye seems to be permanent. I hope they know some way of getting it off us, or we'll be the most heavily tanned crew in the entire Air Force."

"Actually," said Les, "There's a needle and thread in both of the life-raft kits, although there probably isn't enough thread to do more than repair a tear or two. It's a start, though."

Joe nodded. "Good work, both. We'll stash the parachute with our other stuff. Was the hunting any good?"

"Oh yeah. We spotted a couple of areas that could be worked as we walked along. Saw a couple of groves of fruit trees, give the local ones time to recover. Our chaperones have probably told the headman all about it by now. At least it secures the food supply of the village."


~o~O~o~

Paul spent the next few days closeted with some of the women in one of the big houses, interrupted only by another Japanese patrol passing through. He wouldn't tell the others what he was doing, but they assumed that it was something to do with the impending ceremony. Despite the apparently crazy things happening to his body, he seemed cheerful when they gathered for meals each day. Doc was in two minds about this, as if this had happened to himself he was sure that he would be in a far worse mental state.

Eventually the day came and most of the village spent all of the day in preparation for the ceremony, to be started at twilight. Pigs were slaughtered and set up to roast on several of the fires. Fruit and other green-stuffs were gathered, and a fearsome-looking brew was produced from somewhere it had been fermenting for a week. The costumes of all the villagers were inspected and repaired. Flowers were gathered from the forest and used to decorate the feasting area, as well as to make garlands for each villager. A row of torches made from bamboo poles was placed each side of the area and lit as the sun set.

"Km'lilleh! The forest spirit has honoured us with it's presence," pronounced the headman as the tribe gathered around him. "It has chosen to enter the body of our brother tk'Pallo. Km'lilleh has decided to change the body of tk'Pallo, and he should no longer be deemed a brother of the tribe, because he will no longer be a man. The time has come for all to say good-bye to tk'Pallo, and to remember him as he was before the spirit came to him."

He paused, and looked at the silent circle of people around him.

"Say good-bye to him as though he is of the dead, for you shall not see him again. Do not mourn for him, though, for he will return again to us in another shape. When all have said their farewells the Elder men will take him down to the river to bathe, to wash away his signs of manhood. Then the Elder women will accept her as a new sister of the tribe, and she will return to us to be greeted anew. Then the tribe will feast at the birth of a new sister."

The five Australians had been seated in a row on a long log at the high end of the feasting area, with Paul in the middle. The headman was standing in front of them, surrounded by the rest of the tribe, and he turned to them when he finished speaking.

"tk'Pallo, come forward. Go to each of the tribe and say farewell. I will ask your friends to say farewell last, because I know that it will be more difficult for you. Then the Elder men will take you to the river."

Paul stood and walked slowly to one end of the circle of people. He clasped each person in a soft hug, before separating and saying a few words to them. Some of them, the younger men who he had had most to do with since they had first arrived in the village, got a few more words and occasionally a grin or a back-slap. Paul squatted down to talk to some of the smaller children, giving them a smile of encouragement. It took some time before he had spoken to all of them, and by then it was fully dark in the feasting area, lit only by the double line of torches.

Paul finally returned to stand in front of his four friends. Awkwardly, he approached them, and Doc understood the problem and came forward to clasp him in a loose embrace.

"You're doing fine, mate," he said quietly. "Just do this to the others and we'll get through it okay. You've started on an amazing adventure, and as long as we are able to, we'll stand beside you and help you through it. You've got the whole tribe behind you as well, if you need it. How are you feeling?"

Paul's blue eyes looked into Doc's brown. "I don't feel it's wrong, if that's what you mean. I mean, I think this is what's supposed to be happening to me, although I know it's never happened before. I'm okay, the women have told me what we're going to do, so I'm not nervous or anything like that. Thanks, Doc."

Doc reluctantly released Paul and beckoned Les, who happened to be the nearest, forward.

"Just give him a hug and have a word with him, Les."

"Sure, Doc."

Jack followed Les, and Joe came last. He embraced Paul and had some words with him, and then when he stepped back he shook hands with Paul. Finally the four returned to stand in front of their seats on the big log. Doc nodded to the headman. He raised a hand, and four of the heads of village families stepped forwards to stand in front of Paul. With two either side, and the headman following, they escorted him alongside one of the rows of torches down the slope towards the river. Doc noticed that at the same time, the wives of the five escorts walked down the other line of torches, keeping pace with the group of men.

The rest of the crowd opened out so that they could watch the procession, and at the same time they began singing. Doc realised with a start that he understood the words, that they were singing a song of mourning that he had heard just three days ago when they had buried one of the older men of the tribe.

May your spear be ever sharp,
May your blowpipe be straight and your aim true,
May you pick the ripest fruit,
May your back be strong and your eye keen.

May your spirit dwell in the forest,
May you watch and guard your family,
May you rest from your many labours,
May you not fear the approaching storm.

We remember the young man who came,
We remember your skill in the hunt,
You gave your strength to the village,
You gave your life to the tribe.

We shall not forget you who passes,
We shall not forget what you did,
If the Forest Spirit should return you,
We shall welcome you again with joy.

The close harmonies of the men and women sent chills down the spines of the four airmen. The words had been slightly changed, but they were giving tk'Pallo a full send-off as though he had been an honoured warrior of the tribe. As the song proceeded they all realised that they owed much to their friends in the tribe, and that they had an obligation to protect them just as much as if they had been Australian servicemen fighting in the same battle as themselves.

As the song came to an end, a number of the young men and women began circulating with small gourds apparently filled with drink. Jack sniffed suspiciously at his, but it was only water.

"It will take a little time to make our brother into a sister," the young woman who had brought the gourds said, "and the headman thought that you might need a drink while you wait. Please sit down, you will know when she is ready."

It was easy to tell when she was ready, as after about ten minutes or so the five women who had gone to the river began to chant. The crowd assembled again and watched. As their chant reached a climax, the full moon rose over the clearing and bathed everything with light. Immediately, the crowd started singing again, this time a song of birth. Again, the words had been slightly modified.

We greet our newborn sister,
We welcome her to life,
She brings joy to our hearts,
She brings beauty to the tribe.

May the food she cooks be tasty,
Her weaving fit for a warrior,
Her singing clear as a bird,
Her gentle touch a comfort.

May she live here long among us,
May she she bring forth many children,
May her smile greet every person,
May her laughter never cease.

Slowly, the five women walked back along their line of torches, kept pace by their husbands on the other side. This time it was the women who were accompanied, and it was the figure walking with them that had the four friends amazed into silence.

She had been completely stripped, washed and re-dressed while at the river. The clay markings which were daubed on the skin of every male in the tribe had been cleaned away. A garland of flowers went round her brow. A choker of woven grass, with flowers intertwined, went round her throat. Her chest was enveloped in a halter-neck garment of coloured woven fibre which supported two very obvious breasts. She was now wearing a woman's grass skirt rather than a man's, which reached down to just below the knee. All the male clothing she had worn was held in a bundle in her outstretched hands.

When she reached the group at the top of the area, she turned towards the nearest fire and tossed her male clothing on it. The dry grasses and fibres went up with a brief whoosh of sparks, and she watched it disintegrate in the flames before turning towards the waiting headman.

"The forest spirit has given the tribe a new sister," he pronounced to the assembled villagers. "I ask all of you here to welcome her into our tribe. As any woman of the tribe does, she must have a name, and I name her m'Lanui, the unexpected woman. She is one of us. Protect her, guide her, treat her with the respect due to all women. May she long live amongst us, may she be fruitful and have many children. m'Lanui!"

He held up her hand and shouted her name as he spoke. The whole tribe echoed him in a great shout. Then, while she stood beside the headman, each member of the tribe came forward one by one and embraced her. Finally only the four stunned airmen were left.

"Time to go, chaps," Doc murmured. He stepped forward and clasped the radiant woman who stood in front of him.

"Mind my chest," she said quietly. "It's not entirely real."

"I was wondering how you'd managed to sprout since this morning."

"It's not that bad, actually, but the women decided that it had to be clear that I was a woman from tonight onwards, so I've been padded out with moss for the time being."

"You look beautiful, er, m'Lanui. It's amazing what a slight change in appearance can do for how you view someone. As I look at you now, I'm surprised that I ever thought you were a man, although I know that you once were."

"Doc?" called Joe. "You going to be all night?"

"A moment more," he called back. To the woman he asked, "What are we going to call you now? While m'Lanui is okay here, it might not go far when we get back to Oz."

"I thought I'd run with what I'd been given," she said. "I just Anglicised it into Melanie. I'll tell you the rest later."

Doc moved back and muttered to the others, "Melanie. That's going to be her Aussie name, okay?"

"Melanie? Where did she get that one from?" muttered Les, as Jack went forward.

"m'Lanui, of course," replied Joe.

"Uh, sorry, Skip, I'm a bit slow. The whole thing's just so amazing," Les apologised. "And the singing! I've never heard anything like it. It's not surprising my head's a little fuzzy."

Les walked forward to talk to the new woman as Jack came back, shaking his head with wonder.

"Christ Paul, uh, Melanie. You look fantastic! The new outfit really suits you."

"Thank you, Les," she said quietly. "It's only a few bits of grass and string, but it makes me feel different, somehow. It feels... proper, if you know what I mean. The brassiere is a bit padded out, that's not all me you can see, although I don't think it will be that long before it will be, the way things have gone so far. You chaps okay up here? Obviously I missed some of the show, being down at the river."

"You're the star turn! But listening to the whole tribe sing in harmony is something that I'll never forget, it was amazing."

"Yes, it made my skin go all funny. Look, go back and let Joe have a word now, we can all have a good chin-wag later on."

"Yeah, if we're still sober enough."

Joe came forward. "You look good even under all the dye. I wonder what you'll look like when we get back to base," he said to her.

"You think so?" she asked a little shyly.

"We-ell, it's a little difficult, what with the moonlight and the fires and the flickering torches, but from where I'm standing I don't see anything bad."

"I suppose I need a mirror."

"Typical woman," Joe grinned. "Don't worry, you'll do. Now, let's get this party going."

He turned to the headman and nodded.

"It is complete," the headman called to the waiting crowd. "Now let us feast to celebrate the arrival of our new sister. m'Lanui!"

"m'Lanui!" the crowd shouted in response, and about a third of them gathered round Melanie, while the rest headed for the food and drink.

Some of the younger women from the houses where the airmen slept came forwards with food and drink for them. Each was handed a small basket woven from green strips of palm leaves filled with bite-sized fruits, nuts and sweetmeats. They were also handed a gourd filled with a milky liquid. Jack smelled his with suspicion.

"You go careful with that," Doc advised. "It looks and tastes fairly harmless, but it's got a kick like a 500-pounder."

Les took a sip of his. "Tastes okay to me," he pronounced, "I've had stronger in the 'Gator Bar back home."

"Don't say I didn't warn you," said Doc. "I dare you to come back tomorrow morning and tell me the same thing. Oh, and by the way, there's no possibility I can make you a hangover remedy, okay? You'll just have to suffer like the rest of us."

The four settled on their log and began to eat the food provided. Since this had been a special day, they had not been given an evening meal at the normal time, so were all quite hungry. Most of the other tribesfolk were also eating, and things quietened down for a while. Finally Melanie pleaded thirst and hunger and the crowd allowed her to come and sit with the others. They moved to each side so that she could sit in the middle, and she began wolfing down her portion of food.

Soon, as people finished their meals, the party started to liven up. Someone began banging a rhythm with two stout sticks on a hollow log. A few began singing, and soon most of the villagers had joined in. Those that weren't singing had begun to dance between and around two of the fires. Soon enough the crowd had drunk sufficient that the atmosphere became relaxed and most people were having fun. The airmen recognised some of the songs being sung as hunting tunes they had been taught, so joined in.

"Does your tribe have any songs like ours?" one of their young friends asked. "Will you sing them for us?"

Les looked thoughtful, put down his gourd and stood up. "Sure. Course we do. How about this one?"

Once a jolly swagman
Camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree -

"Stop!" Joe shouted, horrified. "No! You can't do that! Supposing a Jap patrol heard us?"

"What are you talking about, Skip?"

"If they heard someone singing that, they'd know that the crew of that downed plane were in this village, and they'd just flatten it. We daren't risk anything identifying us, you know that."

"Aw, Skip, it's late at night. We've never seen a night Jap patrol, they always come mid-morning."

"Just because we haven't seen them doesn't mean they're not there. Don't forget, the village doesn't put out sentries, and normally by this time of night we'd all be asleep. We've no idea what the Japs do at night. Anyway, we don't want to break our cover at all until the time comes, so button it. Sing native songs by all means, but keep the use of English down to a minimum as we've been doing so far."

"Yes, Skip, sorry. I guess this booze of theirs is a bit stronger than I realised."

Doc explained in the local tongue what had happened to the curious group who had surrounded them when Les started singing. The headman nodded to Joe in approval, and everyone returned to the party, which continued until the moon disappeared behind the hillside above the village.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Story?

P-shaw... Not even close.

This is a GR-R-R-EAT!story. (sorry Tony.)

Linds Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Great twist!

I am really enjoying this story, Penny, just like the others you have written. However, this one is special. Look forward to more of this one.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent.

What a real change in life

What a real change in life for Paul/m'Lanui/Melanie (love her name by the way). I, too am wondering if the other crew members might find themselves on the other side of the gender barrier before too long. It seems strange that only Paul is so far the only one changed. A totally interesting story and I am definitely waiting to read more of it. Jan

Well I love it, said Macka!

And also me, well written, interesting twist, I wonder what happens to them all?

Beats SRS, what was the name of that Island again.

Loved the native ceremony, very realistic, nicely described.

Thanks Penny.

Bulla Bulla
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

The ritual

janet_L.'s picture

That ritual was very much like one, inspired by National Geographic, I used to run over and over in my imagination back during junior high when puberty hit me like a train, only the ritual itself was accomplishing the transformation, not just acknowledging it.

Very good story. Keep it coming.