A Summer of Changes - Book 4 Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Denise is approaching the point of no return,
or perhaps has already passed it?

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Book 4 Chapter 8

Julia’s second visit to London

It was only just over a month since Denise had last waited at Liverpool Street station to say goodbye to her sister, but it somehow felt much longer. On that first occasion she had been so relieved about her sister’s reaction to her new way of life, and needed her moral support when it came to informing her mother. Now she felt confident and in control of her life and was pleased with the way in which her plans were beginning to fall in to shape. When Julia arrived earlier that week she had been pleased to have John by her side, as a trophy to impress her sister, but now she was equally happy to have her to herself for a little while before the arrival of the train. What with one thing and another, they had not had much opportunity to have a long sisterly talk together over the last four days.

‘I am glad you decided to delay your departure until Saturday morning Julia, so I can see you off and we at least have the opportunity for a chat,’ said Denise.

‘Yes we haven’t had much chance to talk alone this week, what with one thing and another, replied Julia. ‘It has taken me somewhat longer than I thought to find somewhere reasonable to live and make the necessary arrangements,’.

‘So are you now fixed up ready for September and raring to go?’

‘Yes, last night I left a deposit on a reasonably-sized bedsit with access to a shared kitchen, and a view of the common at Kennington. It is only one stop away from my work by underground, or a ten minute bus ride. It is even within walking distance if I am feeling energetic.’

‘It sounds ideal for you, I am looking forward to seeing it.’

‘I plan to move in over the August Bank Holiday weekend as I will be starting work on 1st September. I shall invite you and John round for dinner just as soon as I am settled in.’

‘Maybe we can help you move in?’

‘That is kind of you to offer, but I feel a little guilty about the help that John has already given me. Not only did he provide useful advice about different areas of London, but he must have driven me round to see at least eight different properties over the last three evenings.’

‘I don’t think he minded, as I have been rather busy this week at work, working overtime and making up for the time when I went to see the therapist.’

‘No, I don’t think he minded helping me, but be careful Denise, John is a nice bloke, reasonably good looking and has a good job. Such men are not that thick on the ground; he could be a good catch for someone else if you are not careful.’

‘Are you planning on doing any fishing yourself?’ asked Denise smiling.

‘I could quite fancy him and get the impression that, with a little effort, I could make something of him, but don’t worry, I wouldn’t do that to my own sister.’

‘Even if she wanted you to?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Well he is a nice bloke and we have had fun together, but I get the impression he is more serious about me than I am about him. In many ways he would suit you much better than me. He is closer to your age, and you are more mature than I am. In any event, over the next few weeks my life is going to be complicated enough with the gender re-assignment and so I do not want to get myself emotionally involved with a boyfriend.’

‘You can’t just pass your boyfriends on to your sister when you have finished with them, as you might do to some item of unwanted clothing!’ said Julia incredulously.

‘It is better to pass him on to you, if you have a use for him, than to send him to the charity shop,’ said Denise laughing. ‘You do not currently have a boyfriend and so he could be quite useful to show you around when you come up to London in a few weeks time.

‘Won’t he want some say in the matter?’

‘Maybe, but like most men he needs to be shown what is best for him. He will probably need a little bit of gentle handling, but in no time we will have him eating out of your hand.’

Julia shook her head. ‘You do him an injustice; there is more to him than meets the eye.’

‘You are probably right, but, as you said, you could make something of him. However, don’t worry if you would find it embarrassing going out with your baby sister’s ex-boyfriend. I’ll look for someone else to take him off my hands. But at least accept the offer of help when you move in to your bedsit.’

‘Alright, but that is all. I can find my own boyfriends thank you. In any event, where did all this womanly wisdom about handling guys suddenly come from?’ she asked laughing.

Denise shrugged. ‘Maybe it was there all the time but was buried under all the crap of my having to pretend to be a boy just because Mother Nature got her wires crossed’.

‘You should have mentioned it when we were young as I always wanted a kid sister. You have always looked a little androgynous and so I could have dressed you up as my little sister and then we could have had fun together.’

‘At the time I did not know myself what was wrong with me. I only knew that I something was not right in my life. But from now onwards I intend to make the most of my new life as a woman.’

‘So when are coming to tell mum about your plans for gender re-assignment?’

‘The two therapy sessions I have had so far have been purely exploratory and I suspect there will be a few more sessions before he refers me to an endocrinologist. However, I already have another appointment next week. I will come and tell mum as soon as I know a little more about likely costs involved and a timetable for my transition. I hope it will be before you leave Norwich. How do you think she will react when she hears the news?’

‘I can’t see it coming as much of a shock to her, just as it was no surprise to me. I think after your last visit to Norwich we were both convinced that we would not be seeing much of Denis in the future. I believe that she has been doing a lot of background reading on the subject of transsexualism and transgenderism ever since you left and has asked me whether I thought it was a temporary phase you were passing through.’

‘How did you answer her?’

‘I told her what you have just said to me — that you were now fulfilling an innate need and were unlikely ever to go back.’

‘Thank you,’ said Denise, blushing. ‘It must be difficult for her to understand’.

‘Maybe, but she is not as narrow-minded as you might think’.

‘I never thought she was narrow minded, but it must be difficult for anyone to accept that someone you have always thought of as a son, now wants to become your daughter’

‘Yes, I suppose so, but I think most reasonable people now accept that some people have problems with their gender identity, which are not their fault.’

‘I hope so. In fact everybody I have told has so far accepted the news with understanding.’

‘So they know about your plans at work.’

‘Yes I told my boss some time ago, and then announced it to my colleagues at the beginning of last week. As with you, it was no great surprise to anyone. As soon as I have a formal diagnosis from the therapist I shall be changing my name and my National Insurance status and then opening a new bank account. Over the next few weeks all record of the late Denis Symons will gradually disappear.’

‘Does John know about your plans yet.’

‘Not yet. I asked Jane to refrain from mentioning it at home until I have a chance to tell him later today.’

‘Don’t leave it any longer, otherwise someone is bound to let out your secret.’

‘Yes, I know. Jane will also be telling her husband the shocking news that one of their bridesmaids was really a guy.’

‘And the other one is a lesbian, but perhaps he already knows that,’ thought Julia, but did not say as much. Instead she asked her sister, ‘will she tell him before or after your dinner party tonight?’

‘Before, I assume. I am not going to pretend any more. I will not raise the issue myself, but if the topic of my male origins, or my gender re-assignment therapy, should come up in the conversation, I intend to answer openly and truthfully.’

‘I can see that the dinner tonight is going to be an interesting experience for both you and John.’

‘If it gets too bad I will feign a headache or one of my fainting fits and ask John to take me home.’

‘Denise, I am a little worried about these fainting fits you keep having. I understand from John that you either have fainted or else felt faint on three occasions recently and Samantha told me that you have also fainted at work.’

‘Oh it is nothing, just an occasional attack of ‘the vapours’, a little bit of what used to be called ‘female hysteria’ in the nineteenth century. They soon pass,’ answered Denise dismissively.

‘There is no such thing as ‘female hysteria’, if young women fainted in the nineteenth century it was because their corsets were constricting their blood-flow,’ said Julia. ‘You should not talk about women in such a disparaging way, especially as you want to become one. If you are fainting regularly it is for a reason, and you should go and see a doctor to find out why.’

‘I think it may be a side-effect of some testosterone blockers that I have been taking over the last couple of weeks, to stop me from turning into a man.’

‘In that case you should tell the doctor who prescribed them to you.’

‘There is no doctor involved, I read about the drugs on the internet and acquired some’, answered Denise, looking a little shamefaced.

‘You must be mad! Don’t you realise that you could do yourself some serious harm?’

Denise blushed.

‘I did read up about the potential risks and the side-effects, and don’t think they will do me any harm. I just felt that it was more important for me to avoid turning into a man.’

‘If you were ever going to turn into a strapping ‘he-man’ it would have happened to you by the time you were sixteen. Now with your clothes and makeup, nobody could conceivably think of you as a guy.’

‘Maybe, but just looking like a woman is no longer enough for me.’

‘And what will happen when your therapist finds out you have been self-medicating? He will consider you to be an irresponsible and unreliable patient and won’t want to continue treating you, particularly as he is only charging you half his normal rate.’

‘I was intending to stop taking them as soon as he gave me an appointment with an endocrinologist.’

‘Denise, you should stop taking them straight away. Leave the medication to the doctors. You are already living and working as a woman so you ought to be able to show a little patience in waiting for the physical changes to take effect.’

‘Very well. I suppose your are right, but over the last couple of weeks I have really begun to discover my true self and am becoming increasingly frustrated with living in a man’s body and having to pretend to be a woman.’

‘There is nothing about your body or your character that is manly. But you must be patient and not try to rush things. You should concentrate on enjoying the life of an ordinary nineteen-year old girl and saving up for your surgery.’


Once she had said goodbye to her sister Denise made her way to Aldwych, where she had arranged to meet John for lunch at a café near Somerset House. He was waiting for her once she arrived.

‘Hi John,’ she said responding to his kiss on the cheek. ‘Thank you for being so kind to my sister over the last week.’

‘It was my pleasure, I had nothing else to do and she was good fun to be with. In fact it gave me a useful insight into the problems of looking for somewhere to live. I will have to do so my self in a few weeks, now that the arrival of Jane’s baby is approaching.’

‘But thank you all the same. Now let us order some lunch and then there is something important that I need to discuss with you.’

‘Is it that you do not want to go out with me any more?’ he asked alarmed.

‘No but you may not wish to continue going out with me afterwards,’ she replied.


‘Alright so what is it that you wish to tell me young lady?’ asked John once their food had been delivered to the table and the waitress was out of earshot.

‘There are two things. First of all, I am embarking upon a programme of gender re-assignment, and have seen a doctor. I am planning to make Denise both permanent and official.’

‘You are planning to undergo a sex-change operation?’

‘You could say that, although it is not technically accurate. I am intending to spend the rest of my life living in the female gender, and will soon start to take female hormones. In time I plan to undergo corrective surgery to give me female genitals, and, if necessary, undergo some plastic surgery to enhance my breasts. Eventually I will apply to be formally recognised as a woman.’

‘Are you sure it is the right thing to do?’

‘Absolutely certain’, she responded.

‘How long will it take?’

‘I think we are probably talking about a couple of years’ she answered.

‘When do reach the point of no return?’

‘Physically, it will be as soon as I can get my hands on some female hormones, but mentally, I think I have already passed that point some time ago. I would rather kill myself than go back to pretending to live as a guy.’

‘In that case, good luck to you,’ he said without betraying any surprise or other emotion. ‘I have never thought of you as anything other than a girl, but clearly it will be important for your own self-image.’

‘Thanks. I just want to be able to look at myself naked in a mirror and like what I see.’

‘So what was the second thing you wanted to tell me Denise?’

‘From now onwards, I am going to stop pretending about who I am, who I used to be, and who I am hoping to become. Jane’s husband now knows about my origins, and also probably his friend, so the topic may well crop up at dinner this evening.’

‘I see.’

‘Will you feel awkward once it becomes known that you have been dating a pre-op transsexual?’

He thought for a little before answering.

‘I don’t know. Jane and Samantha have known all the time, and that has never concerned me; but I am not sure how I will react once it becomes common knowledge among my family and workmates. We will just have to play it by ear.’

‘I am afraid that was the wrong answer John,’ thought Denise to herself. ‘I do not want to be a source of embarrassment to anyone. If you can’t be proud of me in front of your family, then it will be better that we part. The day I start taking oestrogen will be the day that we cease to be lovers.’

‘OK we will just have to play it by ear, starting from tonight.’

(Next time Jane’s dinner party.)

Apologies for the delay in posting this chapter. I hope to begin the first chapter of the fifth (and final) book next week - Louise

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry...wrong answer!

Andrea Lena's picture

‘I am afraid that was the wrong answer John,’ thought Denise to herself. ‘I do not want to be a source of embarrassment to anyone. If you can’t be proud of me in front of your family, then it will be better that we part. The day I start taking oestrogen will be the day that we cease to be lovers.’

Left unsaid but felt, perhaps with a great deal of disappointment and hurt. So long as everyone believes she's a 'real' girl, everything will be all right, but let it be known that she's a girl in transition; becoming the person she chooses to present? Hopefully for everyone's sake, John's response is just a typical nervous answer to an uncomfortable question and he decides to take a stand by demonstrating his real care by acknowledging and embracing the revelation and her! Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Why?

He is a pawn to her. There is no reason for him to show
devotion and loyalty. She plans to withdraw sexual
favors once she starts on estrogen. That was planned
to happen anyway. He should drop her once she makes her
announcement and claim ignorance. Call it preemptive
since she planned to do that to him any way. She needs
a taste of her own medicine it will give her a much
needed cure.

Have to agree with Kaptin Nibbles here

Diesel Driver's picture

Denise is not being nice. I don't think I like her this way. Perhaps it is the stress of her situation which she may not consciously realize. If so, hopefully the doctors can help her with it.

Chris in CA

Chris

Glad Denise's Story Continues

littlerocksilver's picture

His answer was a waffle at best. Denise is maturing rapidly and certainly is going to face some significant events over the next few months. This is a critical time for her.

Portia

Portia

Hurray! The wait for the

Hurray! The wait for the next installment is over. Please don't make us wait as long for the next one :>

Amy

Hummm, this could become a

Hummm, this could become a very interesting dinner party if everything comes out in the open. Waht will John do? What will Denise do?, For that matter, what will Jane's husband do when he finds out who was in their wedding party? I am certainily staying tuned for the next most interesting chapter of this story. :) Jan

And the Other

"And the other one is lesbian, but perhaps he already knows that,"
thought Julia. Perhaps Samantha does have a thing for Denis but
in the Fem form.

A Summer of Changes - Book 4 Chapter 8

John just lost, BIG TIME

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Just what did he loose?

being seen as a property that can be discarded or handed down at will?
excuse me, but i really have trouble understanding why that would be a loss, much less a big one.

at least Julia seems to begin to understand what has become of her little sister. i hope she puts her foot down soon, before someone gets hurt.

Just what did he loose? Mutabilis

I was being sarcastic.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's sad that Denise ...

...has become a short-sighted selfish witch who can't even empathize with someone as nice as John, and sees him as nothing more than a thing to be manipulated and discarded. If she can't see that her announcement could cause him some difficulties, then she's truly blind to the needs of the people around her. If that's true, John is well rid of her.

Too bad the nice but unambitious Denis has been replaced by a woman I wouldn't want to call a friend, especially if i was a man. *sigh*

Randa

WHOA ! SLOW down girl.

1st thing is Denise has been upfront with John from the get go.

tho maybe not popular in this story, I believe has take a route many of us in transition have taken, in slow motioning any close relationships where they believe their actions could have negative reactions upon other's lives. I know I certainly did where some friends had real close family ties to either religious bigots, or, could impact them badly by my being around them, Like Denise I was quite upfront with my friends as why I was doing it, some got pissed thinking i was a bit rightious and close minded in thinking they couldnt make decisions for them selves.

I tried to ASK the big question, you go home for thanksgiving meal, some of your realitives you really are close to,but know in your heart could never tolerate me any where close to their house, NOW you're being told drop me or them, what will you do. I told least 5 people that. I then told them I wasnt allowed with a 50 mile radius of my hometown w/o my self being harmed & I wasnt makeing that part up either. I said I just lost most of my family because of my own decision. I'm not about to let you make a bigger mistake by sticking by my side during this time. I also mention we could still see each other most of time since none of us really lived close to the problem relatives. well, I slowly lost contact with some good friends, others , I've kept contact with.

The point is one HAS to make a decision, & the consequences for it. even if I hadnt, sooner or later it still would of come out. even NOT MAKING a decision is making one.

(jumps off the little soapbox) and feels better) while thinking not many will likely ever read my little comment that advise was meant for (SIGHS)

Denise and John

IIRC, she's been open with John from Day One in that although she values his company and enjoys going out with him, she considers him more of a friend than a lover. Bear in mind their relationship was initiated by the hands of others, and she's still a little uncomfortable with the concept of loving him. She doesn't know what impact (if any) taking hormones will have on her sexual preferences, or what the reactions of others will be. So far, everyone she's introduced to the secret has been OK with it, but she's fully aware that others may not be so accepting. Therefore, if she does encounter hostility, if she's to retain John she'll need him to be strong-willed and stick up for her. If he's not strong in the face of hostility aimed towards her or their relationship and doesn't argue on her behalf, it's probably better for both of them that they part. It's not just hostility from outside that could strain their relationship - bear in mind that once the hormones start to take effect, she's liable to experience heightened emotions and mood swings, which could make her appear quite unpleasant at times. If John can't deal with that, it's better he goes sooner, on relatively good terms with nice memories, than later...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

"If she's to retain John ..."

You make John sound like her employee instead of her friend (even if he's also her lover). But that's okay, that's really how she treats him, too. When she talks to her sister, she's acting like this is nothing more than arranging a severance package. Julia at least sees him as a nice person, someone to be treated with a measure of respect. Denise sees him as useful, nothing more.

My issue is not just about her reaction to his response to her announcement about coming out. Look at this exchange:

‘You can’t just pass your boyfriends on to your sister when you have finished with them, as you might do to some item of unwanted clothing!’ said Julia incredulously.

‘It is better to pass him on to you, if you have a use for him, than to send him to the charity shop,’ said Denise laughing. ‘You do not currently have a boyfriend and so he could be quite useful to show you around when you come up to London in a few weeks time.

‘Won’t he want some say in the matter?’

‘Maybe, but like most men he needs to be shown what is best for him. He will probably need a little bit of gentle handling, but in no time we will have him eating out of your hand.’

Julia shook her head. ‘You do him an injustice; there is more to him than meets the eye.’

‘You are probably right, but, as you said, you could make something of him. However, don’t worry if you would find it embarrassing going out with your baby sister’s ex-boyfriend. I’ll look for someone else to take him off my hands. But at least accept the offer of help when you move in to your bedsit.’

The fact that Julia takes her seriously shows the reader she's obviously not joking - this is really the way she feels. Denise seems to classify John (and from earlier chapters, all men) as sub-human, barely sentient children – easily manipulated and not worth thinking about when it comes to their own thoughts and feelings. Men are people, too, but not to the new Denise, which is somewhat surprising when you consider she thought of herself as a man for most of her life until a few months ago.

And that's the sad part, after all. That she was a better, more considerate and empathetic person as Denis than she is now. *sigh*

Randa

P.S. Apparently she was a more intelligent person, too, as Denis, since even though she knows the self-medicating behavior is making her lose consciousness periodically, she still won't just STOP. And that's just stupid.

P.P.S. - And all John said in response to her question was that he didn't know how he'd react. An honest answer, and she's quick to throw him over the side. She really must not care for him at all, to be looking for the flimsiest excuse to toss him overboard.

I think Denise is wrong.

I don't think John is embarrassed by anything Denise does. He seems to accept her as she is. Denise, however, has always seemed to be a bit set on the idea that John was a temporary boyfriend, no matter what. I think she should be honest and upfront with him.
Don't worry about the delays-I love the way you write, and I feel that it is very worth the wait. Real life can be a pain!

Wren

The more feminine Denise became the less I liked her!

Her character changed and yes, she was a bitch, had no respect for John's feelings, and was quite happy to use him for her own uses!

If and when she has her gender modification she will still have her attitude and her low opinion of males as played out with John.

Unfortunately I can't see any happy endings for her just because she had a sex change. Just because she's good looking doesn't mean she is a nice person, remember the saying 'beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes all the way through'.

She may be better talking to a shrink instead?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Louise,

ALISON

'whatever happened to our shy little boy who found 'herself'?? She seems to have become a selfish bitch!

ALISON

Blame Denise's "Friends"...

...for at least some (and maybe all) of this. Denise in effect is proposing to treat John the way they treated Denis: if he can't be manipulated into doing what women think is best for him, consider him worthless and completely reject him. Ditto if John wants a relationship with anyone other than the person that Denise chooses, just as John was forced on Denis/e.

Not that Denise isn't at fault for behaving this way; of course she is. But it certainly seems that Denise has learned the most cynical of lessons all too well.

Credit our author with instigating a significant attitude shift here. (And note the blurb, which I didn't until after I posted this note: "Denise is approaching the point of no return, or perhaps has already passed it." Indeed.)

Eric

You're right, Eric

Everything that happened to Denis is condensed into this one sentence from the interchange I quoted above:


‘Maybe, but like most men he needs to be shown what is best for him. He will probably need a little bit of gentle handling, but in no time we will have him eating out of your hand.’

That says it all. That's what they did to him, and that's how SHE thinks things are supposed to be, now that she's on the path to being one of the puppeteers instead of the puppet. *sigh* Like I said, just sad.

Randa

So Randa _ she has never

Pamreed's picture

So Randa _ she has never said that she is in a relationship with him, even to him! So now that she is thinking at ending their "relationship" she is a bitch!! No!! she isn't she is just being realistic!! Randa are you living as a woman fulltime now? I have been for 13 years and at the beginning I had to be somewhat selfish!! In order to acomplish all I needed to transition!! She has never had any feelings toward John and has told him as much!! He is the one who has been pursueing her!! Denise dosen't owe him anything!!

It's the way she sees him ...

... that I object to, not whether or not she plans to "end their relationship" -- and of course if she doesn't care for him, they don't really HAVE one in the first place, do they?

If you go back and read my post, you'll see that I believe she's become a bitch because of how she views John and refers to him to others -- as a thing, a stupid MAN who should be manipulated and USED as much as you can get away with, as if his emotions didn't matter. Men are people too, and Denise of all people should realize that. Denise owes him the respect anyone owes another person, and John, by everyone's testimony, has been a good person, kind and helpful. And even if she doesn't love him AND NEVER DID, he does have feelings for her, and his feelings matter, too. He's a human being, and as such is entitled to more than a snigger over how easy he is to make jump through hoops just because he's male. Julia is a better human being than Denise is now, and Denis had far more empathy back before his "friends" led him down the path to becoming the next Cruella DeVil.

As for how long I've been living as a woman full-time? It said female on my birth certificate, but I guess it depends on when the society you live in identifies a girl as a woman. If we go biologically, it's been more than thirty years since puberty reared its confusing head and pushed me into the feminine hygiene aisle. I'm not getting more specific than that. *grin*

Maybe Denise needs to be selfish at this point, although I've never found a good justification for putting ME first in the course of my life. But she sure doesn't HAVE to be mean, bitchy, or act superior. She's just doing that all by herself -- and if that's what she thinks she has to do to be a woman, she's going to wind up awfully lonely when the people she hangs with realize what a vain, empty user she's become -- at least as far as men are concerned.

I just hope she learns to be human before it's too late.

Randa

Geez I'm making two comments for the same chapt.

1st read my 1st comment.

Now I realize Denise is sorta following her submersion & indoctrination course she's jumped in with both feet or seeming so ...

but there's another possibility (besides author making the storyline interesting)

Hormones make people do interesting things ... they do """A L O T M O R E"""" than just cause the body to do things visably.

They affect the mind & perseptives we view things. That what it's so dang important not to be messing around with such w/o a DR in the 1st damm place. I can not emphasize that more clearly.

this maybe our author's way of showing it more clearly. and Denise maybe thinking she's in control while she is obviously not. She's learned women can control men to some extent, but she's obviously not learned the lesson of what occurs when she goes too far & ends up in hospital.

She's been told TWICE NOW that very thing, but it seems to have gone in one ear and out the other. ONLY a harsh experience will wake her up & gawd forbid mutiple dont get hurt in process.

Agreed. Her "friends"...

...Led her down the first steps of the path she is on, have prodded her at various points to continue along that path, and have apparently influenced her strongly enough that she is treating John as they treated her.

In the first few books, I liked Denise, it seemed that she was truly finding herself. In this book, though, she's become just as shallow and callous as Samantha, and in some ways worse. I cannot like someone who would so casually pass off a boyfriend as if he were just a possession with no depth or meaning.

I'm also rather worried about the fainting. She really needs to inform her psych about the anti-androgens she's been taking, before she ends up in the A&E (what we refer to in Canada as the ER, Emergency Room).

Samantha's preference is now known

Listen to your sister, stop the drugs now. When the endocrinologist starts to prescribe, you must make sure there's no conflict with the drugs.
Why are you so determined to drop John? He loves you for you, not any physical m/f body. Staying with John doesn't mean you have to marry him.

Cefin