TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Chapter 10, part a

Printer-friendly version

Gateway to Life
-:Book 1:-
Through Death, Rebirth

by Faeriemage

Copyright  © 2010 Faeriemage
All Rights Reserved.

Sometimes, it is what you do that matters. Sometimes, it is who you are. Usually it's who you kill to get there, and how much enjoyment it brings.

Chapter 10, part A
I can't decide whether you should live or die.

!!!WARNING!!!
The content included in this chapter is of a stronger nature than other chapters in this book. It is currently included as a part of the story, but may be omitted based on future revision. Read at your own risk. Read comment below for more information.

From the journal of Tory Hollerith

Sometimes a little change is for the good. Sometimes it's for the best. Likw when I slaughtered my parents like the pigs they were. My father was abusive, and my mother was a good for nothing enabler. I'm glad that Brian pushed me to see my true calling in life. Right now, I'm pretending to be Tory. It is giving me the opportunity to scout out my enemy, without them becoming any the wiser.

When that little bitch put her hands on me, I had a moment of fear, as I felt my essence being pushed from the quiescent body of Tory. I managed to get a finger hold and hang on. She'll get her's soon enough. They all will.

Can you believe that story she told us yesterday? How could someone as blind to the realities of the universe have even repulsed me once. It must be this second entity in her mind with her. I'm sure it must be a parasite of some sort, telling her what she wants to hear so that it can keep feeding on her life energy. I can't believe that I never thought of that tactic myself. It certainly led me to try this little experiment out.

Jamie actually wasted energy on us before lights out to push away the drugs they gave us to control us. I was about to get rid of my own, but I am fully willing to let her waste her enegry. I spent a little energy myself to hold onto my pills, just making her expend that much more. I think she was almost fully tapped out when she got done. Now, I just need to keep her there while I work out how I will prove her final humiliation.

I've never raped one of my alternates before. I might have to give it a try this time. She's really caused me no end of aggrivation. Whatever I do, it has to be special, just for her. Something imaginative.

Hmm. I wonder if they have a healer in this place.

I found a healer in my own world once. They had the most delicious mind I have ever tasted.

There's an idea, keep the healer alive and free so I can keep Jamie alive a lot longer than she would normally last. It will keep some hope alive in her that she might just get out of it. Then, when the time is right, kill the healer. I will be able to watch the hope die in her eyes as I begin one last time. The agony in her soul will be delicious indeed.

I look around at all the other rats in this maze. I can't help but chuckle at all of their earnest expressions. They all look to Jamie as a savior.

I guess I should explain this journal a bit. When the lights came back on, these journals were in the recepticle at the head of our beds. They really get into all of this automated care, don't they. I'm surprised they don't just kill us and get it over with, unless they are keeping us here for some possible future purpose?

That's something I need to consider when I go back home. Maybe I should form a cadre of psi users with myself at the lead. My own Sith training academy? Or something.

So the voice tells us to record our thoughts. I wonder what they will make of these thoughts? Not that I care. I don't have to stay here in Tory's body. The minute they try something I will flit back to my other body, and they'll be stuck with a cooling corpse.

I wonder what will happen when they discover Jamie's deception with the medicines. I'm sure no-one knows what exactly she did walking up and down the ward after people took their medicines, well except for the mind readers. That means it is between myself, and a couple of others, to give up her secret.

Sure, one of the others might let it slip accidentally, but I'm trying to sabotage her, so I have a much better probability of success.
---
We've gone to lunch, and had another lights out period. I wonder, are the pills a distraction? Could the food be the real source of the anti-psi drugs? that would be real irony there. You spend all your time working on getting rid of the obvious pills only to drug yourself when you fill your body's physical needs.

I may have to mention something to Jamie, just to keep the game interesting. I wouldn't want it to be over before it begins.
---
I didn't write much the last time because this begins to bore me. Sure, planning is one thing, but I can't enact any of my plans in here. It is just waiting and waiting.

Ok. I can do this.

I do have something to write now, though. We had a 'free period' this afternoon. We were let out into the common area after our third meal here. If they're putting drugs in the meals, then it is likely in the first two only.

I sat down to play Jamie at chess. I figured it would be something that she had learned at some point. It seems to be a commonality of the type. I was surprised at her strategies. I expected her to use her knights more, like I do myself. She seems to spend most of her time on her pawns. She even got three of them to the eighth row in a single game once. We are much more evenly matched than I would have thought.

Well, here we go. The voice has ordered us to put our journals into the receptacle. I see some scared faces and can only smile at what I know will be revealed to our so called masters.
---
It's been a full day since we gave them our books. Nothing much has happened. I am getting better at predicting Jamie's moves at chess, and think I might actually be seeing something of her thought processes.

I got something extra in my slot. A knife. Most everyone else was checking to see that what they had written was still there, and so missed me slipping it under my pillow. It is a large thing, with a nice hilt. I think it might be a tanto or other Japanese weapon. I think they want to see whether what I wrote was for show or not. I have the perfect show in mind for them.
---
The smell of blood and shit and piss is intoxicating. I felt sorry to have to wash it off. I watched as the water sluiced it off my skin. As usual, I killed in the nude, so as to leave no evidence on my clothing. I hate walking around in bloody clothing. It spoils the game.

It was the little bitch who I killed. I love taking innocence in this way. I sliced her slowly while she screamed for Jamie to save her. No one heard. Our masters made sure of that, and I proved their tolerance by pushing even my own perversion.

She took almost an hour to die.

I washed her blood from my skin with regret, but not before I truly reveled in it. She almost made me rethink my promise never to drink blood again.

I slipped out of the showers where I killed her and back into the room. I left the knife still in the body, positioned for maximum effect.

Let's see if I can maneuver Jamie to be the first one into the shower to see my artwork.
---
I awoke this morning to find another knife in my receptacle. I hear a scream coming from the bathroom. I look quickly and a smile of triumph splits my face. Jamie saw it first.

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Should this remain

Understanding the Beast is something that is very important to the remainder of the story. This is probably the easiest way to present him, in his own words, so to speak. He has Sociopathic Personality Disorder, and so is a bit beyond what characters I normally portray. His chapter is a lot shorter than my other chapters, mostly because I can't stand to write for him, but also because that is all I had to say about him. I could have stretched it out a bit more, but I wanted to be done with him.

My main question to you, my readers, is whether I should keep this chapter as is, or shred it and do the much more difficult task of presenting who the Beast is through Jamie's perspective alone.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Very disturbing but proably necessary to tell the tale

The sociopath Jamie is in a way a reflection of this sick alt Earth where the powers that be seem to be encouraging the *psi* to kill each other. A society that twisted, where so very few are humane is no longer a human society. The *revolution* seems long overdue. I mean, would the population support this anti psi program if they knew the perversion and cruelty their own government was encouraging? They may fear the psi empowered but to wish them to be tortured and killed, little children, children that were once their own?

Jamie the killer and Janie/Jams may just be the catalysts to shake up this mad world, hopefully for the better.

But how to rid the multiverse of evil Jamie and are there more like him out there or even worse?

Ack! Multiple universes give me headaches.

BTW one measure of a heroine is who he faces, who she battles with, who she helps. Would a Churchill, a FDR be as great without a Hitler?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Reflection of real life

I was personally wrongfully imprisoned in the USA. Long story, and not an Ex-Cons ramblings. I was released with an apology after all.

Some of the last two chapters (general feel, waiting room, so on) were from my personal life. There is nothing like the innocent man sitting and waiting for the gallows.

I know people in the prison system (most from before the incident.) They dehumanize the inmates in their talk and behavior. One person I know of calls all inmates "humps". The idea being they are humps of flesh, not even human at all.

Take that mentality. At a justifiable fear of the inmates capability. Add the fact that none of them will ever be getting out to the general public (The hospital a few chapters ago is a private psi hospital. You find out later :) and yes the young man is lying to himself about the reasons he was in the sanitarium).

What scares me is not the nature of what goes on in this prison. What scares me is how easily it could happen in the real world.

There is often very little that separates the Cop from the Criminal after all.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

ARRGH!!!!!!

I surely hope the child's soul still lingers! After all, if Jamie managed to get one soul guest, she could get another too.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Not overt

I have not quite come out and say it, but the Beast does worse than just kill your body. He eats your spirit. That is part of the reason that writing for him really and truly disturbs me. This is not a children's cartoon villain that allows for happy endings with no effort from the hero at all.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

That means another thing

Basically, the entire situation is now in a sort of really REALLY twisted 'murder mystery' category.

Jamie will try to find and save the girl's spirit, she will realise it is gone. Gone and the remnants have the same feel as Jamie4's catatonic body. That would give the answer to WHO was the murderer.

Next will come the question of WHERE is the Beast now. Obviously, he is a part of recent addition to the sanitarium, but which one is open to discussion. Tory may feign innocence or something, even for a little while.

And the last question is, WHERE did the Beast get the blade. And once they start thinking about it...

The Beast, on a side note, is now a poster child for the oppressive anti-psi regime's propaganda. A monster that does this, one whose thoughts reveal his inhumanity with such a clarity...

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I know everything

I have just realized what book two is about. I really love all the comments I receive and they do give me ideas about things I had not even considered yet.

I'm sure its not as obvious to everyone else what I am referring to, but kudos and a gold star to anyone who gets the reference. The title will probably be "Row on Row" unless I come up with something more appropriate with as many meanings as the title to book one has.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

In Flanders Fields

Basically, this. ^

Although, I must admit, my first thought was Gurren Lagann... :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Chapter 10

Why not make it that Jaimie is immune to the Beast's attacks because of the shared body and that while one sleeps, the other Jamie is awake and able to take action. and is able to push the Beast into oblivion, giving both Jamie's extra power for pushing things, possibly even pushing them to any destination that they've been before.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Darkness and Light

terrynaut's picture

You're making a strong point so I think you should keep this chapter. It's unpleasant but I've read darker stuff.

It makes me wonder about the nature of the soul. Is it really possible to "eat" a soul? You could drain the energy that powers it perhaps but is that the same thing as destroying it? I guess if you could drain all of the energy, it would destroy it. Dang. That's a depressing thought.

On to the next chapter. I've read both parts of chapter 10.

Thanks.

- Terry

The soul contains the

The soul contains the individuality of the person. It is their creativity, and the trigger of the chemical reaction that causes emotion.

The brain interacts with the soul to give depth to memory

When this is taken, flesh is all that remains. the Beast consumes these thoughts and this creativity, and incorporates some of it as his own.

there is inefficiency, of course and some of it is lost forever.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage