TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

Gateway to Life
-:Book 1:-
Through Death, Rebirth

by Faeriemage

Copyright  © 2010 Faeriemage
All Rights Reserved.
Sometimes there's no place quite like home, especially with infinite dimensions to choose from.

Epilogue:
The End

I still have nightmares. I wake up in the middle of the night and for a second or two, before the shape of my sister Olivia forms in the darkness, I think I'm him. For a second, I think with his thoughts and it scares me.

I alternate Thursdays with Mary1 and Mary2. Mary1 was the one who first suggested that I start writing this. It's taken me a while to get to the end, and during the course of this, I have come to better understand who I am as a person.

I also understand the Beast better. There is a part of me now that does wish that I'd given in to him at the end. Or that I'd let the both of us die when I tied our lives together.

I need to complete this final chapter, however, so I can move on.

When I finally got back to my world, I found my house boarded up, and police tape on the door. I didn't know what to make of it, so Mary1 made a few calls.

The police had come to our house to arrest my step-father for abuse. He got his pistol and tried to shoot it out with them, with the expected result. What was unexpected was my mother took the gun from his hand and shot herself.

When I see the scar on my cheek in the mirror, it reminds me of where I came from. The Beast inside of me smiles at their end. I mourn their loss.

Bree was adopted by Mary1 and Frank1. She was the first child who came to them that wasn't one of their clients. I've never seen any of them happier than they are now. I only wish that Bree's parents hadn't looked at her like she was an abomination when we'd tried to take her home.

When Olivia and I arrived home from this mess, Helen2 welcomed me home with open arms. She welcomed Olivia home as well. She's Helen Bonham to the rest of the world now, and Mom to me. We finalized the adoption, of both of us, since legally Olivia is a new person, after the divorce.

Yep, We're twins according to the adoption records. Olivia and Jamie Bonham. Our friends call us Orange and Juice a lot. That means I have two nicknames, but most people don't know about Traveler.

Yes, we visit Earth4 once a week, since Olivia wants to spend time with Corin. They talk nightly on the headsets.

Everything is still about the same for them there, but there have been some unsettling rumors trickling into the Fortress. Yeah, they didn't like living in a sanitarium either.

As the hormones continue to pump into my system, I grow to look more and more like Olivia, and people are thankful for the scar on my face. I wish I could be as thankful for the scars on my soul.

We babysit for Clare occasionally. She has a headset now as well. Bree's been busy, and we're actually selling a new model to the worlds of the Communion. Yeah, that's what all the worlds cal their little group. I actually run a courier service as well, since I'm still the only confirmed Traveler. They've finally been able to exchanged signed copies of their treaty. Per the rules that got me citizenship in Earth5, I actually now have citizenship in every member dimension of the Communion. Earth1 is in negotiations with the Communion for member status. I can't get anyone in a position of authority to believe me on Earth2, so the Communion have assigned protectorate status to them.

For some reason, the Communion has stated that Earth4 is outside their jurisdiction. Apparently they know something about that world that their not sharing. Well, it's expected. I'm just the courier after all.

I convinced the Communion to pay me in precious metals and gems, since paper money from one world will have no value in another. They're trying to come up with a method of making a cross dimensional commodity based monetary system. I doubt it will really take off before Bree get's her gateway working.

I forgot to mention that Bree is trying to build a device that will connect two worlds like a gateway. She's not having any luck. She blacked out the city three times before she decided to disconnect from the power grid. I may eventually tell her some of the things I've figured out about crossing worlds, but I will let her work her way through it.

Her ability is immense, but not limitless. Sometimes a basic understanding of the problem is required.

I still don't know what world Beast came from, and he maintains that it was destroyed. Some things he's said don't add up, however, and I wonder if he is as puzzled by his inability to find it as I am.

School is better for me now. Everyone sees me as a girl, and Olivia and I have lots of friends. It took them a little while to get used to the idea of calling her Liv, but it all worked out. Olivia does her best not to order anyone about. I don't use my ability at school. Mostly we're trying to live normal, mundane, lives.

Brian2 is in psychological counseling. Apparently there are large portions of the year before these events that he doesn't remember at all. The last thing he remembers clearly, in fact, is going on a date with Liv.

She's actually considering dating him again, and if it were anyone else, I'd be more worried. I'm more worried about what will happen to her if she remakes Brian in her own image.

I'm feeling more in control every day. The nightmares plague me less. Eventually I hope to get past this point and move on with the rest of my life. For now, I go to school, and I hang with my friends. Friends. . .something I never thought I would have, but am glad of the journey that brought me to them.

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Things that don't add up

Will likely be resolved in the sequel. However I need to ask - do the loci (those points of contact) definitely contact just two particular worlds of the multiverse, or more than two at the same time? Also, is every world of Communion in contact with every other world via the radio, or is there a series connection in some cases? And - are there multiple points of contact for the two particular worlds of the multiverse or there is only one, with others leading who-knows-where?

I think that Communion does know about the Hell. Perhaps, they once had a contact with an attacked world before - and then it grew quiet.

Also, is there a known way to reinforce the boundaries?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Excellent points.

Yes, there is more to this than meets the eye. Here are some of the answers:

Some of the Communion's contact with other worlds was series. I am dealing with fourth dimensional space, assuming for the moment that time isn't the fourth dimension. In our own world, distance separates two objects. In fourth dimensional space it is the same. Some dimensions are closer together, and some are further apart. The further two dimensions get from each other, the more the signal is attenuated, and the more power would be required to communicate. For that reason they have been using relay stations.

Think of it like the use of telegraph, and then telephone, wires before radio was invented. Long distance signals required planning, as well as more power, and relays. Radio was able to punch through to the destination without intermediaries.

All of the dimensions of the Communion are relatively close. It would be the equivalent of being in the same solar system. Earth1 in this example would be about where Alpha Centari is.

Hell is in the middle of the Communion worlds.

Yes, they've lost contacts with worlds before. In fact, they lost a chain of worlds before they started cutting off any world in contact with Hell.

There are more than 50 worlds in the Communion. Jamie has promised Helen and Mary she wouldn't run herself ragged for them, even so, she has done two complete courier runs for the Communion, with lots of smaller two or three world runs.

Bree started working on the Gateway device because even with a booster, Jamie had to rest halfway through her first full courier run.

Points of Contact: Early on, Jamie noticed that there are places in two worlds that look almost exactly the same. The closer two worlds are in the fourth dimension, the more similar they are physically.

For example, the only points of commonality between Earth1 and Earth4 is the Washington Monument, and even then, it is ten feet shorter on Earth4. The ground was a bit softer on Earth4 causing it to sink.

Due to the nature of the fourth dimension, IE it doesn't fit certain concepts we are used to in three dimensional space, a single world can have points of contact with many different worlds.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

TGL - Book 1: Through Death, Rebirth: Epilogue

Will be interesting to find the Beast's Earthand see if it lives and why it became the Beast, because it could be lying or in self-denial.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Final Tally

Including the chapter headings and preface, this book comes in at a light 61,911 words.

Formatted in words, it is 158 pages. I really enjoyed my time writing this. I have marked it closed, and now I sigh in relief, since I have finally done it. I have written a novel :)

It may not be the best, and it still needs revision, but it is done, and it is mine. Thank you all for your support.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Nice Wrap up

terrynaut's picture

This is a fitting end to a wonderfully creative story. Jamie still has to deal with Beast but everything seems to be moving in the right direction.

I'd like to see Beast's earth found in a future story. Perhaps then, Beast, and Jamie, could heal.

Thanks very much for a wild ride through your imagination.

- Terry

fabulous

literally fabulous. Not the sort of thing that would normally hold my interest, and in some ways so whacky and so mixed up - and yet you made it work and held my interest all the way.
Really impressive writing, and an amazing imagination.

XX
AD

Great ideas

Yes you have a novel.
Yes, Beginning, Middle & End!
& Yes you make the reader think & use their imagination!
So well done & thanks.

Cheers,
john.