Deity Arms 4: Bridget

Printer-friendly version
Deity Arms

Deity Arms–Bridget
by Barbie Lee (© 2001)

Set in The Professor’s Deity Arms universe, a businessman, ruined and disgraced by his partner and by his lover, is rescued from suicide by the mysterious Mr. Logan.
(With an introduction by The Professor.)

Introduction:
Some time ago, I created a little universe called Deity Arms. I created it because a number of fans asked for permission to write Ovid stories–something I couldn’t allow since many of the tales in the Ovid cycle are interconnected. I thought it would be easier for writers to tackle Deity Arms tales since the stories were completely independent of each other. I even encouraged writers to create new gods of their own.

Sadly, I failed. Although simple on the surface, Deity Arms proved to be more complex than first blush would indicate. Writers, at first enthusiastic about writing Deity Arms tales soon abandoned them due to lack of knowledge of the New York locale or concerns about how to handle the chaotic neighborhood of Deity Arms and its residents.

Finally, I gave up hope, resigning myself to writing my own Deity Arms stories when the mood struck me (or when I came up with a story idea that was a little too edgy for Ovid).

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was informed that an enterprising author had written a Deity Arms tale and wanted to make sure it was all right to post it. With a certain amount of trepidation, I offered to review the story first. To be honest, since no one else had attempted a Deity Arms story, I didn’t hold out much hope for a story written by a person who had never even posted a short, simple tale before.

Imagine my delight when I received Barbie Lee’s story. I could tell just by reading a few random paragraphs that this new author had captured the essence of Deity Arms better than I had ever dreamed possible. I was hooked!

Is this a great story? I’ll have to let you decide that for yourself. I think so, though. Plus I had the additional treat of watching the strings of my own characters pulled by a master puppeteer.

I hope you enjoy this story, and I hope you take a moment to encourage Barbie to write additional stories in this genre. She has told me that she has no plans to write more TG tales, but maybe with the right encouragement, she’ll change her mind. I, for one, certainly hope so.

–The Professor

Deity Arms Separator

It was a small company but I had done well. We made software for companies who were looking for a quick way to make something work. You wanted your MS Word to talk to your Paradox? Of course it was in the manuals if one took the time to look it up. Didn’t make any difference, people liked to insert disks into their machines and have the software do all the manipulations. When it came down to it, people had been trained almost from day one to look for software to do something for them. We wrote software to make that happen for almost anything people wanted. In return I made money, lots of money.

Fresh from college with an MBA and a commercial pilot’s license, I figured I was going to fly the world as a pilot for some large airline. Reality hit home after I had sent out more than fifty résumés to the large air carriers. The truth was, I wasn’t flying for any large airline. The name brand airlines had their choice of hot jet jocks straight out of the military. Those kids had years of experience handling the big, fast iron. I was so outclassed in pilot training it wasn’t even a contest as to whom the major airlines would hire. My best efforts landed me a job flying for a commuter line out of Salt Lake City. Twice a day we flew from Salt Lake to Los Angeles and back. There was none of that ‘I’m the Captain’ swagger out to the plane and go fly business. We worked our asses off loading and unloading luggage, helping with the passenger lists, complaints, and yes, even working on the damn planes when the mechanics needed a hand. There were no flight attendants or stewardesses along to help with cranky passengers. I quickly understood why the hot jock ex-military pilots passed over the job I accepted. To get rid of my frustrations I enrolled in several martial arts classes. To a man, my instructors kept telling me to control my anger rather than expressing it in class. Needless to say, I never made black belt in anything besides anger class.

Eighteen months into my dream job with Salt Lake Carriers I decided I didn’t want to spend my life that way. I began sending out résumés again and taking courses in computer programming. That was when I figured out a better way to make a living. People are naturally lazy and I could make a living selling software programmed to do what they were too lazy to look up. What college never teaches anyone is how to make money. They also never teach anyone to think smart. Now don’t get me wrong, colleges input one thing and that’s information. Students either figure out how to learn so they can make the grade or they fail the course. Thinking back, I realized there was nothing a college provided except a centralized place to study and a schedule for that study. Everything else was up to the student. I digress.

At first I only made a little pocket change selling software. My software was simple. In fact that was the problem. It was too simple. It did the job and nothing else. When I added installation icons I sold more software and I could charge more. Instead of four dollars and ninety nine cents, I could sell it for nine dollars and ninety nine cents and the amazing thing was greater numbers of people purchased it. Again a revelation in marketing came to me. People perceive something too inexpensive as being ‘cheap’ even if it does the same job as a product costing four times as much. Based only on price, people will buy the higher priced product thinking it is better.

Now I was on a roll and my marketing skills had kicked into high gear. I started putting my programs on CD’s and adding tons of worthless bytes to make them look like heavy high end programs. Of course I raised the price again. The demand was growing by leaps and bounds. My job at Salt Lake Carriers was interfering with my ability to make money so I quit flying and went into the software business. Demand was more than I could handle. I hocked myself up to my eyeballs at the bank and hired a couple of women. Women usually work cheap and seldom complain. I opened a little business on the second floor over a doughnut shop.

I was unstoppable now. I moved my operations to New York because it was the commercial and financial capital of the world. I hired one of the kids I had known at college to repackage my CDs in attractive customer-appealing boxes. Again the boxes were for appeal so the wrapping was like my programs, lots of fluff and little substance but the public was buying my programs like candy. We expanded, and expanded some more as my business kept growing. I added a programmer to take care of writing the programs as I was becoming too busy as an executive to keep up with the demand. We added more and more filler to our simple little programs. Hell, the customers only knew they were buying a good solid program that took up ten to twenty megs on their hard drive. Little did they know a couple of thousand bytes was the program and the rest was fluff. Attractive CDs, designer packaging, and beautiful load icons, were the selling point. I was selling the cotton candy of programming, all fluff and almost no substance. But it worked and it worked beyond imagination.

Life couldn’t get any better than what I was living. I was filthy rich. I was under Bill Gates’ Microsoft radar so he wouldn’t ever want into the business I was in. I was over the top of the radar of the lesser software companies: they wouldn’t want in my territory because they didn’t see what I was doing. They wrote real programs not fluff darlings like I did. Sure, a few programmers had figured out what I was doing. I even saw a few articles in trade magazines about me. The funny part of that was, the public would never see any of those articles so it didn’t matter. Bill Gates made billions, I made millions and I had found my niche in life.

Robert Drake was a friend of sorts as he owned the advertising company we used. It took over a year but Robert convinced me I needed to go in partnership with him. Our combined companies would be able to more efficiently handle customers, billing, public relations, and of course selling. Looking back in retrospect I wonder what I was thinking or more properly why I wasn’t thinking. My company was worth millions and Robert’s company was not even a million dollar one. I never thought about it as money from my company flowed over into ‘our’ company as we grew. Eventually my company was absorbed into our company. I don’t even remember when nor how it happened. Some business accountant I was. Color me the dumbest person in the whole world.

I think the company did better than Robert had envisioned. With the capital leverage from my software company funneled into the combined business, our little company became a huge advertising company. Of course it didn’t hurt when companies bought our software and we stuffed the boxes full of flyers with information about our ad business. Our company was not only named Hot Topics, it was also a hot topic in the financial news. We were on everyone’s lips. We were invincible.

Maybe I should have seen it coming but I didn’t. Robert was a womanizer and he wanted his women employees to be beauty queens and dress like Hooters. The unstated dress code was the shorter the skirt, the better one made it up the corporate ladder. I chastised Robert many times for the way he unofficially ran the dress code in our business. It was a bluff and Robert knew it. Hell, I enjoyed the view the same as Robert even if I didn’t try to get every unattached female in bed like he did. In advertising we moved in a man’s world where men used beautiful women’s bodies to sell just about everything, including men’s briefs. It’s an undisputed fact of life: sex sells. We were in the business of selling sex for the brain. Boy was it working.

You could probably say the beginning to the end was poetic justice. We had been in need of a financial wizard to step in and take over our accounting. Kelli Stalwart was a name on a résumé that returned when we sent out a search to fill the position. I read that résumé a half dozen times. If Kelli was a tenth as good as what her résumé showed then she was the girl for us. I set up an interview.

It was raining cats and dogs outside my window but I didn’t care. The appointment with Kelli was at ten that morning. At ten minutes to ten Lena, my secretary, buzzed me on the intercom. “Miss Kelli Stalwart is here for her interview.”

Great, the woman was prompt. That was a good beginning. I picked up her résumé off my desk as I turned my chair toward the window. “Send her in.”

I heard the office door open and shut. I waited as she walked across the carpet to stand in front of my desk. “Mr. Rands, I...”

I acknowledged her with a wave of my hand. I wanted to impress on her she was messing with one of the movers and shakers of the world. That huge oak desk she was standing on the other side of probably cost more than her car. My deep cushioned leather office chair was extravagant in its own right. I figured I had made her understand who was in charge after she had waited a couple minutes. As I turned around to begin the business of negotiating her salary I darn near choked.

The woman standing on the other side of my desk wasn’t the prim little woman with big horn rim glasses I had visualized in my mind from her résumé. A girl who could handle numbers like her should have been wearing a dress that buttoned up the front clear to her collar, and the skirt should have been down to her ankles.

This woman obviously wasn’t attired as such. Her shoulder length platinum blond hair framed a face men only dream of. High cheekbones, sweetheart lips, pert little upturned nose, and bedroom eyes were part of the ingredients. Those huge tits of hers looked even more exaggerated on her slight frame, their nipples pushing pointedly against a soft pink, see-thru, silk blouse.

“Miss Stalwart?” came out as an unexpected gasp.

“I’m Kelli Stalwart.” She smiled at the effect she had on me.

In one swift second the events had been completely changed. I intended to have her negotiating for her job as she understood I was the undisputed boss. Now I would pay her anything she desired. She could be her own boss if she would come to work for us. I was ambushed by my own mind. She was the epitome of what Hot Topics sold. She was pure sex packaged up in female form. She had more curves than a backyard path leading to the white lightning still.

Holding her résumé up I managed to cough out a few more words. “This your résumé?”

Laugh lines spread across her eyes as she looked at me and then the papers I was holding in my left hand. “I don’t know. Is it? I can’t read it from here.”

Embarrassed by my own lack of class, I struggled to regain the high ground in this meeting. “Do you really work for the IRS?”

“Yes I do but I’m looking for a better salary. Government jobs are stable and the retirement is something one can depend on if you live long enough. I can do a whole lot better and set up a retirement that will do a lot more for me in the private industry.” She waited to see if I was going to offer her enough to quit the government and go to work for Hot Topics.

“Uh, yeah, okay then, I see. Sure, why not?” My mouth was running but my brain hadn’t been engaged.

She waited for me to say something she needed to respond to.

“Uh, what kind of salary are we talking about? I mean what would it take to get you to be, I mean work for us?” I almost dropped my head down on the desk and cried. My negotiations had fallen short. Hell, why mince words? I offered her the company if she would name her price and go to work for us.

“Sixty thousand plus benefits would buy me.” Again that beautiful smile of hers.

I knew, she knew, there was no doubt we both knew she had dropped a double meaning in there. My little friend peter, was getting excited as I tried to keep my mind on the tits... I mean ballgame. “Sixty thousand? Oh, yeah, sure, I mean it was more than we had been thinking of but I guess...”

Sixty thousand was a steal of a deal even if she couldn’t add two and two. I would have dropped that much in her hand just to keep her around the office. I certainly wasn’t going to let her know how much she could have talked me out of. “Benefits are medical and dental insurance. Sick leave and a week’s vacation come after you have been with the company for a year.”

She shook her head. “Benefits are medical and dental, sick leave is a week each year and it is accrued each year not used, rolled over into vacation or paid work days. Three week’s paid vacation each year which can be accrued if not used.”

She was still cheap as I added up the expense in my mind. “Okay.”

“And Hot Topics will furnish me a company car and my own parking space at the office. I will also have my own office.” Kelli was watching me for my reaction to how far she could push her demands.

“Are you finished?” I figured I had better close up my end of the negotiations or she was going to keep adding them up until she might not be that cheap.

“Yes.” Again it was still the cat and mouse game with her as she studied me for a reaction.

I stood up and walked around the desk. I was after two things. I wanted to see where that skirt of hers ended, and I wanted to shake her hand on a business agreement. As I walked past the corner of the desk, my eyes locked on two beautiful legs in four-inch black heels. The micro mini, black leather skirt wouldn’t have covered anything if she had sat down. I wanted to kick myself for not giving her that opportunity.

“Miss Stalwart, let me show you to your office.” It was the best thing I could think of at the moment. Normally I would have called up Lena as I sent the potential employee out of the office. I was afraid if I let Kelli out of my sight for one second and Robert got a shot of her, my chances would be over.

As I steered Kelli down the hall to what would be her office, my mind was madly running amok trying to figure out how I could keep her from Robert. Then it dawned on me, if she was married things would get sticky. “Uh, Ms. Stalwart how is your husband?”

She giggled as she held up her left hand showing me empty ring fingers. “I’m not married so I guess you could say my husband is a dear.”

“Thank... uh of course. Would you like to have lunch? I know a little place a few blocks down that serves a great meal. I mean if you haven’t already eaten that is.” I pointed her into the office that was to be hers as I spoke.

“It’s only a little after ten. I don’t think I have had the chance to eat lunch yet.” Again that laugh of hers as we walked into her new office.

“No, I mean of course. Yet, that is.” I wanted to pound my head on the floor to engage my brain before I said anything else stupid. “Well, I guess I’ll give you a chance to settle in then. It will give you an opportunity to make a list of material and equipment you will need. If there is anything I can do...”

“Sure, I need a PDA if you don’t mind. I left mine at the IRS building not thinking I would be going to work so soon.” Kelli walked over behind the desk and sat down in the chair. She rolled the chair out from behind the desk.

It was a perfect beaver shot from where I was standing. I know my eyes bugged out of my head before I looked back up into her eyes. There was no doubt she had made the offer to have sex. Was it worth the risk? Could I shut the door and have sex with her right here and now? There was no doubt Robert would have. My heart was pounding.

I looked at my watch never seeing what I was looking at. “I’ll pick you up in an hour and we can beat the noon rush.”

Nodding her head, she was studying me knowing what she had done. “Sounds like a plan. I’ll be ready.”

Ask me what I did for the rest of the morning and I won’t be able to answer for I don’t remember. I had one thing on my mind: Kelli Stalwart. At eleven I was back down at her office. I wanted to make sure I had her out of the building before Robert saw her. The girl was a magnet for attention from both sexes. Kelli was a solid forty double D, twenty-six, thirty-six. Men ogled her and women hated her for being so much woman. I was in love for the first time in my life.

It’s funny now when I think back about how I believed it was my manipulations, as I managed to keep her out of Robert’s radar for the three weeks before Kelli moved in with me. It was a natural situation as I had been having sex with her from day one. Kelli moving into my apartment was a given under the circumstances. The following morning after she had moved in we met Robert in the foyer as we were arriving for work.

As he looked up, an astonished expression crossed his face. I could see him drooling as he sized up Kelli. “Well hello, and who are you?”

Robert glanced in my direction. “Jer, my old friend, aren’t you going to introduce us?”

Instinctively, I put my arm around Kelli. “Sure. Robert, this is Kelli Stalwart, our head accountant. You remember, we hired her a month back?”

Leaning forward to take her hand, Robert was drooling. “Damn Jer, you didn’t tell me this was the Kelli Stalwart we hired. Why didn’t you tell me before now, you old rascal?”

As he took Kelli’s hand in both of his, Robert tried to edge me out of the picture. “Miss Stalwart, I’m so pleased to meet you. I’m the other half of Hot Topics. We must have dinner together. How about tonight?”

“I’m sorry Mr. Drake, but I’m already spoken for.” She smiled at Robert as his eyes showed disappointment.

My head swelled ten sizes as Robert asked the next question I already knew the answer to. “And may I ask who’s the lucky man, Kelli?”

Kelli pulled her hand free from Robert and wrapped both hands around my right arm. “Jerry and I are engaged.”

Poor Robert looked like road kill at that moment. I had the most beautiful woman in the world and he had missed his chance at screwing her. It only took a second but he regained his composure and glared hatred at me. “Congrats, Jer.”

What he really meant was, he wanted to stab me for not giving him the chance at Kelli before I took her off the market.

“Thanks Robert. That’s terribly kind of you.” I couldn’t help but rub his nose in it.

Robert turned and walked off without answering. I had the woman he wanted and there was nothing he could do about it.

Deity Arms Separator

I tried to set a wedding date, but Kelli kept finding excuses not to. It didn’t make a whole lot of difference. We were already sleeping together and she was mine even if she wouldn’t walk down the aisle with me at the moment. Six months passed and Kelli finally told me she wanted to be Ms. I was on cloud nine. I was rich, I had the woman every man drooled over, and my future was guaranteed to be abundant.

It was the start of the first week in December and Kelli was slow in getting ready for work. I shouted at her through the bathroom door. “Hurry hon or we will be late.”

“I’m not going to make it darling. Go ahead and I’ll be there in a little bit,” she answered me.

“You okay? Are you sick or something?” I tried to remember if it could be her time of the month or something but men never keep track of things like that.

“No, I’m fine. It’s nothing. I’ll be a little late this morning. You go on and I’ll catch a cab in thirty minutes or so,” came back from the other side.

I tried to open the door. For the first time since we had moved in together it was locked. “Uh, I can wait.”

“I don’t want you to wait. Go on,” was the answer.

“Uh, okay, I guess. You sure you are all right?” I was confused as to what could be wrong? Bad hair day? Maybe she felt like being late and nothing else. Sometimes women are like that.

“For the last time, yes, I’m okay. Nothing to worry about. I’ll see you down at the office.”

Kelli didn’t show up that morning but someone else did. The IRS came into my office with warrants to seize all my records. “Mr. Jerry Rands?”

“Yes, that’s me.”

One of the six men standing in my office slapped a subpoena in my hand. “You are to appear before the judge tomorrow.”

“What’s this for?” Surely this was a joke.

“Tax evasion.” He motioned for the other men to start picking up equipment and files.

“Wait a second, you can’t just walk into my office and start taking things.” I was in shock they would even try.

“Wanna bet? Call your lawyer because you’re sure going to need one.” He started taking things off my desk and dropping them into a box.

I picked up the phone and did call Legget and Legget, our company lawyers. Charles Legget told me, yes, the IRS could come in and pick up things but not to worry, we would get it back.

I should have worried. Kelli never showed up that day. She wasn’t home when I got there after a very trying day fighting with the IRS as I watched them haul everything off and lock down our building. I called everyone I knew as I tried to find Kelli. It was useless, she had vanished. I called the police to report her missing. I knew she had been abducted between the apartment and the office. They were polite but not very enthusiastic about filling out a report before three days were up.

The next day as I walked into court I felt and looked like hell. Kelli was missing, my company was shut down by the IRS, I couldn’t get in touch with Robert, and I had no sleep.

My lawyer Charles Legget was the only person in that courtroom I knew. He held out his hand as I walked in. “Morning Jerry, you don’t look too good.”

“Hi Charles, I don’t feel good either. I can’t find Kelli, Robert is out of touch, and I didn’t get any sleep.” I took his hand and returned the handshake.

“All rise, court is now in session, The Honorable Judge Windslow is presiding,” the bailiff announced before I could find a seat.

A wizened little man in black robes walked in and slid up to a chair behind the bench. “Let’s get this started. Who’s first?”

“IRS versus Mr. Jerry Rands doing business as Hot Topics, your Honor,” the bailiff intoned as he slid a stack of papers up on the Judge’s bench.

“Wait a minute. I’m only a partner, where is Robert and why isn’t he named in this?” I turned to look at Charles.

Charles shook his head. “The company was incorporated in your name. You bought out Robert’s share last month. Don’t you remember?”

“I DID WHAT! I DIDN’T BUY OUT ROBERT’S SHARE! I...”

“Mr. Rands, I will not tolerate shouting in my courtroom. Counselor, if you can’t control your client I will have him removed from this court and we will proceed without him.” The judge was staring at me.

“But...”

Charles grabbed my arm. “If you want to stay in here then I suggest you keep quiet.”

“But...”

Charles shook his head.

I was in total shock. I had to defend myself against the lies I had heard. Why wouldn’t they let me tell the truth?

There was a lot in that courtroom I didn’t understand as the IRS presented its case against me for tax evasion. I didn’t keep the company books. Kelli did and what could have happened to her? I knew she wouldn’t have left me. It had to be Robert. Robert had her kidnapped or more likely done it himself to keep her from testifying at my hearing. That bastard! I was going to get even with him. I would kill him for taking Kelli. He’d better not hurt her!

I guess the short story was, I owed the IRS over a million dollars in back taxes. A small inconvenience was all it was. When I pulled out my checkbook to pay them I was in for another shock before I could write the check.

“Your Honor, we request you inform Mr. Rands we won’t accept a check with insufficient funds.” The IRS representative had watched as I started to write the check.

“Insufficient? Why you pissant, I have a couple hundred times that amount in the bank. My check is certainly not insufficient.” Was this nightmare never going to end?

The judge looked at the rep and then me. “What bank Mr. Rands?”

“First National your Honor.” I held up the checkbook for the judge to see.

The judge nodded at the bailiff who took my checkbook and left. He came back in a couple of minutes. The bailiff walked up to the judge and whispered in his ear.

The judge looked out at me. “Mr. Rands, you have no funds in the bank in question. Is there any other bank you do business with?”

“Well, no, but I have stock in several corporations.” They obviously gave the bank the wrong name on the account or maybe even called the wrong bank. I would clear it up as soon as I left the court.

“You have thirty days Mr. Rands. If you have not made arrangements by the end of that time you are to report here in court before me for sentencing for tax evasion.” The judge picked up his papers and left the courtroom.

“Thirty days?” I turned to Charles as I asked the question.

“Only a formality Jerry. Pay the fine and that will be the end of it.” He was putting papers back in his briefcase.

“Sure, no problem.” I had other more important things to worry about such as where was Kelli.

I was locked out of the company so I returned to my apartment and begin calling everyone I could think of who would know where Robert might have gone: any of his old girlfriends, his old buddies, and any of the companies we did business with. It was a futile effort. Robert had disappeared and I was sure he was holding Kelli hostage. The police listened to my story and did nothing.

I had a second bad night with no sleep as I walked the floor worrying about Kelli. When I heard a knock on my door at eight I bounded for it sure Kelli had returned. I flung it open. “Kell...”

The guy on the other side slapped a subpoena in my hands. “Mr. Rands, court this afternoon.”

I wanted to slug the guy as I slammed the door in his face. “Get out of my life asshole.”

As I was looking the summons over I noticed I was due back in court at two that afternoon. Would the world stop snapping at me long enough to let me find Kelli?

“Mr. Rands, I seem to have a problem with you clogging up my court.” Judge Windslow was staring down at me from his bench.

“Not my fault, your Honor.” I felt like shit from not sleeping for two straight nights.

He looked at the papers in front of him. “Of course it’s not your fault. You are innocent. Someone took out an eighty million dollar loan in your name and you don’t know anything about it.”

I felt relief. The judge knew my circumstances. “Yes your Honor.”

“Bullshit Mr. Rands.”

That shocked me. I thought the judge understood my problems. “But...”

“No buts here in my courtroom Mr. Rands. You took out a loan with the First National Bank for eighty million using your own money as collateral. Then you withdrew your money and moved it to the Fidelity Bank where you again pulled the same scam. I find you are in arrears to the two banks for a hundred and sixty million dollars Mr. Rands. Let’s see, what’s this next sheet? A business loan to Hot Topics for two hundred million you have defaulted on. You have been a very busy man Mr. Rands. You have until tomorrow morning to repay these funds. If your creditors don’t call me by nine o’clock tomorrow morning and advise me you have returned the funds, I will have you arrested. Do I make myself clear?”

“Three hundred and sixty million?” How could I borrow that kind of money and not know it? Robert had done this. I knew deep in my heart it had to be Robert. With a sinking feeling I was beginning to realize the only way Robert could have done it was with help. And the only one who had enough access to my personal information to help was Kelli.

I was going to prison. There was no way to get it back nor convince anyone what had happened. I would die in prison while the woman I loved and trusted was living the good life on money she had stolen in my name. To top it off, that damned business partner whom I had taken in as a friend, had screwed me royally. I was betrayed by people I befriended.

“Your Honor, if you would check out my fiancée Kelli Stalwart and my business associate Robert Drake, I believe you will find the three hundred and sixty million dollars you are looking for.” I had to convince the judge I didn’t have the money.

“Mr. Rands, the IRS has already checked all your books at Hot Topics. They informed me you were keeping a double set of books. I’m not interested in your fairy tales. Tomorrow morning Mr. Rands or else.”

I walked out of the courthouse in time to see them hauling off my car on a wrecker. Great! What else could they do to me? I caught a taxi back to my apartment and received another shock when I tried to walk into the building.

“I’m sorry Mr. Rands but you can’t come in.” Jimmy the doorman was holding up his hand.

“Why in god’s name can’t I? I have one night left before they arrest me and I can’t even go back to my own apartment?”

“Sorry sir. I have orders. Your credit has been canceled. Your apartment and everything in it has been seized by the IRS.” He looked at me sympathetically.

“IRS? Damned IRS is killing me.” I would rent a hotel room for the night. I hailed another taxi.

The desk clerk was apologetic as he took one credit card after another and scanned them. “Sorry Mr. Rands, none of these are any good. They have all been canceled.”

“All of them?” I had a platinum card for everything, Visa, Master Charge, Bank Americard, etc. How could all of them be canceled? Had to be that damned IRS again.

I took out my billfold and looked. I had twenty dollars in it. “Thanks anyway.”

Walking out to the street, I decided I would never go to prison. A cold freezing rain had begun and I was getting soaked as I hailed another taxi.

I slid into the cab as he pulled up to the curb. The driver looked up in the rearview mirror. “Where to?”

“As far as this takes me.” I handed him the twenty. I would ride as far as the money lasted and get out and kill myself.

“Sure, any place in particular?” He pulled the cab back out into the traffic as rain beat down on the roof.

“No.” I had accepted my fate. I would not go to prison for something I didn’t do. Either way I was a dead man. I could either prolong it by lasting out my years in prison or I could control my destiny by ending it at my choosing.

“No problem.” He concentrated on his driving as the rain was getting worse and any driving was becoming hazardous.

I slipped my billfold and watch down between the back and the seat. I could be identified by them. I didn’t want the IRS or anyone to know I had escaped their plans for me. Maybe my plans included more than escaping the IRS and prison? This way Robert and Kelli would never see my picture in the paper as I missed the judge’s sentencing and life in prison. In a small way I would be getting even with both of them. They would always be looking over their shoulder wondering if I was still out there, waiting to get even.

It was a long ride and I would have known it was more than a twenty dollar ride if I hadn’t been so caught up in planning my death. If my ride ended near the water I would jump in. If I was in a residential area I would step out in front of a vehicle. Downtown meant I could jump from a high rise. It would soon be over.

The taxi stopped. “Twenty dollars is used up Mac. You wanna go some more, you gotta pay some more.”

“No, that’s fine. Thank you. I hope you have a good life. Thanks.” I slid out of the cab into a downpour of freezing rain and was immediately rewarded by being soaked to the skin. The cab disappeared in less than a second as it pulled away in the rain. Looking around I couldn’t make out anything except the glow of a light coming from a lobby directly beside me.

My teeth were chattering and I started to shake as the rain soaked me to the bone. I wasn’t going to have to do anything to kill myself. I was going to freeze to death right there on the spot. Somehow that option didn’t appeal to me because I hadn’t planned it. Starting for the shelter of the lobby I slipped and fell down in the gutter. What wasn’t soaked before was certainly soaked now. I thought about laying there and letting nature take its course. For some reason I got up and headed for the lobby.

There was a big man behind the desk inside the entry. “May I help you sir?”

“Uh... n... n... no,” I managed as my teeth clacked and my body shook.

“Sir, this is not a public building. If you are not here on business or to meet someone then I am sorry but you will have to leave.” He rose up out of his chair. I only thought he was big when he was sitting down. The guy was absolutely huge.

Before I could turn to leave, another man opened an office door and walked out. “What’s the problem Horace?”

“No problem Mr. Logan. This gentleman came in off the street. I informed him this wasn’t a public building.”

The man named Logan put his fingers together and formed a temple in front of his face. “I see. He looks soaked and seems to be freezing. It would be uncharitable to send him back out in this icy rain before he has had a chance to warm up.”

“Mr. Rands, if you would step into that room and remove your clothes, we will take them down to the furnace room and hang them to dry before you go back out into the rain.” Mr. Logan pointed toward a door on the opposite side of the room.

I started to decline. A chill hit me and I was shaking so badly I thought my eyes were going to fall out. “S-s-s-s-s-sure, th-th-th-th-th-thanks.”

Stepping into the room, I found it was no more than a closet. I had second thoughts about taking off my clothes, before a really bad chill made my bones rattle. I took off my shirt and pants and handed them outside the door.

“Everything, Mr. Rands. Hand all your clothing out here so we may dry them out.”

“S... s-s-s... sure.” I removed my shorts, socks, and shoes and handed them out the door.

“There are some clothes on a hanger on the wall behind you Mr. Rands. Put something on while yours are drying so you don’t freeze to death,” came from the other side of the door.

Turning around I looked for something I could slip into. A long, white satin gown was the only stitch of clothing in there with me. He had to be kidding? I started to tell them someone was mistaken when a chill hit me so bad I thought I was already dead. Why not? It was only a piece of cloth. Sure, it was cut into the shape of a dress but it was still only cloth. I slipped it off the hanger and stepped into it. Immediately I felt warmer. There was no way I was going to get that back zipper up. It didn’t matter. I felt better already.

“Please step out of the closet Mr. Rands. It is going to take some time to dry out your clothes and you can’t spend all night in there.”

As I stepped out of the closet, Mr. Logan motioned for me to turn my back to him. I did and he zipped up the dress. It felt weird to say the least. One, because I had never worn a dress in my life, and two, because a man zipped me up. I was finally comfortably warm for the first time since I had stepped into the rain.

Within seconds, a tall, excellent example of man and an Arabic woman walked in the front door. She immediately focused in on me. “What are you doing wearing my dress?”

“I uh, it was, ah, I...” I had no idea what to say.

“Hello Morgan. How are you dear?” Mr. Logan looked pleased.

She wasn’t to be distracted from her target. “That is a designer original. It cost twenty one thousand dollars. I expect you to pay for it.”

“Ha!” escaped involuntarily as the idea I could pay for anything crossed my mind. “Get in line.”

“You don’t intend to pay?” She folded her arms across her ample chest.

“I couldn’t if I wanted to. I owe the IRS a million, I owe the banks a few hundred million and I have absolutely nothing of value. I’m afraid if you want me to pay for anything it’s going to be a long wait.” Why was everyone wanting something from me when I no longer owned anything?

She pointed at my hands. “What about those?”

“Those what?” I looked down at my hands. I had a class ring and a Masonic ring.

“Those will be a start.” She held out her hand.

“Fine.” I pulled them off, grateful she had asked for them. I had forgotten them and I could have possibly been identified from them. I didn’t want the IRS to find my body and know I had outfoxed them.

“What else do you have?” She was waiting for something else of value.

“Absolutely nothing. You can have my life.” I figured she was going to be disappointed when she found out I was going to end it in another hour or so when my clothes were returned.

“A contract given and a contract accepted. So be it.” She smiled for the first time and I noticed she was a very beautiful woman.

She looked over at Mr. Logan. “You are witness to the contract.”

“I am, Morgan, and I think you have done well.” He looked at me with amused eyes.

“Mr. Rands, your life belongs to me, given in contract.” She backed up as she studied me.

I started to laugh and thought better of it. These people were crazier than a Hoot Owl.

She walked around me as she studied me. “I have a fashion show at Miami tomorrow. That’s too soon for you. The one at Rio will work out better. That’s three days from now.”

“The dress you are wearing was supposed to be in the Miami show. It will wait. Please come with me.” She walked over to the elevator as she was talking.

Why not? I was a dead man. There was nothing these crazy people could do to me that would bother me at this point. I started to walk over to the elevator.

Morgan shook her head. “Hold your skirt up dear. Don’t drag the hem.”

Reaching down with my hands I wrapped up material in both hands and hiked my skirt as I stepped in the elevator.

She sighed as she shook her head. “I have my work cut out for me I can tell. Don’t crush the material hon. It’s not a bag of groceries. Gently roll your fingers into the material and lift. You don’t want to leave wrinkles when you turn it loose.”

I almost cracked up. I was receiving a lesson in etiquette an hour or two before I died. How funny could it be? “Yes, ma’am.”

“I’m Morgan, dear. I am not ma’am.” The doors slid open and she stepped off.

I followed her to an apartment as I held my skirt up the way she instructed.

She opened the door and motioned me in. “I’ll be back in three days. Do not sleep in my bed naked. You will wear something appropriate. I expect you to take a bath before you go to bed. You smell like you fell down in the gutter.”

I chuckled over that one. If she only knew.

“You find that amusing?” She had a smile on her face.

“Yes I did.” I turned my back to her. “Would you unzip me please?”

“Ladies manage by themselves. Three days.” She shut the door and I was alone.

Talk about weird people! I was positive if I had been able to make out the sign on the front of the building it would have said ‘Psycho Ward.’ Okay, first things first. I walked over to the window and pulled back the curtains. I couldn’t see the ground and it was still raining cats and dogs. I was up high enough so when I jumped I wouldn’t break a leg and suffer. I would definitely be dead after impact. The rain meant it would be sometime before anyone found the body, which was another plus. Lots of things start degrading after that last breath. The longer it took to haul my body to the morgue, the less chance they would identify it.

Looking around the apartment was not encouraging. I wanted to find pants and a shirt before I jumped. I might be dead, but I didn’t want anyone to find me in a dress. I was tired of life and wanting to escape. I did not want anyone to think I was one of them weird people you see running around New York. Glancing around the room, I felt a growing suspicion in the pit of my stomach my desire for a dignified suicide wasn’t going to be that easy. The apartment didn’t look like a pants and shirt type woman lived in it.

More than a half hour later I wasn’t thrilled to find I had been right. I searched the drawers, the closets, and the shelves. The woman wore expensive designer dresses. Pants weren’t in her wardrobe. I was tired and it was time to get it over with. Satin gown or no satin gown I was going to jump. They could pick up one more weirdo when they found the body.

Walking over to the window I took a deep breath. The IRS could kiss my ass. I wasn’t going to die in prison. I put my hands up on the window frame to lift it open. A flash of lightning lit up the night. Two monsters were sitting on the window ledge looking back in the room at me. Not much scares me but something as ugly and fearful as two gargoyles sitting on one’s window ledge could bring up the fear in virtually anyone. It was a self preservation reaction as I screamed and involuntarily flung myself backwards away from the awful sight in front of my face. I fell over a chair, my head hit the floor, and I was out cold.

Deity Arms Separator

“What’s her problem?” Gorm looked in through the window at the woman lying on the floor where she had fallen.

“I think we frightened her.” Grim snorted and steam escaped out of his nostrils.

“You don’t look frightful to me. Do I look frightful to you?” Gorm shook off the ice that was beginning to form on his back and wings from the freezing rain.

“You know what they say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess she didn’t think we were beautiful.” Grim sighed as he looked out across the sky. “Such a beautiful night, isn’t it?”

Gorm reached up and scratched his nose with one of the talons on his right front paw. “A little more lightning would make it better. But yeah, it’s not bad.”

Grimcost flew in and landed beside Gorm. Pressing his nose up to the pane, he looked in the window. “Another one? She looks different from any of the others for some reason.”

Garmon landed between Gorm and Grim, lost his grip and fell off the ledge backwards. Seconds later he was back. This time he landed with a definite purpose. “Make way, I want to see too.”

Grim reluctantly moved over to make room. “Stop your damned pushing would you? She’s not going anyplace.”

Garmon looked over at Grim and wrinkled up his lips exposing long rows of teeth and prominent fangs. “You keep talking like that and Logan will wash your mouth out with soap.”

Grim slapped a paw over his mouth. “Yuck, how nasty. The thought makes me shiver.”

Garmon turned his attention back to the woman. “She looks different.”

“I just said that,” Grimcost snorted in disgust.

“But she does. She has little life force around her. Is she dead?” Garmon pressed his face to the window as he stared at the woman lying so still on the floor.

Grim shook off the ice forming on his body as he looked down at the lights below. “Humans die, but not here. Mr. Logan wouldn’t allow it. I was watching when Kemel dropped him out of the cab. He was as good as dead before he fell down in the freezing water in the gutter. Unlike us, humans don’t take to temperature extremes very well. I think he presented an unusual challenge to Mr. Logan. An interesting project for sure. Humans are funny creatures. Can you take one who wants to die and make her want to live?”

Deity Arms Separator

Dreams are funny as one can never choose what they may dream. The other thing about dreams is, one never knows when they will end. It’s a game of chance. Wake up and poof they are history, gone never to be remembered. Or they are so real one has to wonder if it was a dream? I was dreaming I was Kelli. Had to be, it was the only explanation I could think of. I should know. I had my hands on her body a million times. Only this time her body was my body. Or was it my body was her body? Whatever, no one ever said dreams had to be rational.

It was time to get up off the floor where I had fallen and knocked myself out. It was with effort and certainly a lot different than the way men do it as I rolled over to leverage myself, my huge breasts a constant problem by being in the road. Long, jet black hair ran in a river from my head, over my left shoulder and spread out across the floor beside me. As I stood up, I moved my hair around to my back and brushed the wrinkles out of my dress. I admired how beautiful the white satin designer gown was. It had brocade, seed pearls, and lace interwoven from what I could see looking down. Of course I couldn’t see much of the dress, but I did see a huge expanse of seductive flesh. The scalloped neckline of the dress barely managed to cover my breasts at the extreme limit before obscene. In other words, my nipples were covered as they pushed pointedly at the soft material.

There were mirrored doors on the closet in the bedroom and I was curious. Without thinking I gathered up my skirt which now swept out in a huge cloud of white satin around me. The dress rustled as I walked on heels into the bedroom. The fullness of the skirt barely made it through the bedroom door and that was only by severely crushing it. How did I know I was on high heels?

Slowly I walked up to the mirror as I watched the reflection of the woman approaching. The white satin dress was absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. A wedding dress no doubt and the most beautiful one I had ever seen. The delicate brocade, seed pearls, and lace covered the bodice of the dress. My breasts were delicately poised wrapped in white satin. The full skirt bellowed out in radiant glimmering white satin. A long train was attached.

Was Kelli a bride? Was this the wedding I was going to have with Kelli? I looked at the face staring back. No, it wasn’t Kelli. This woman was a lot prettier and I thought Kelli was a beauty. Beautiful deep black eyes, exquisitely arched eyebrows, long lush eyelashes any woman would have died for, a cute little pert nose, full sweetheart lips, and high Indian Princess cheekbones. The woman had almond skin hinting at Indian ancestry.

My eyes were drawn down to the huge breasts she was endowed with. Those puppies were big! The waist was incredibly small. And the hips? Even under the full skirt, I could tell they were ample. The woman I was viewing would make Kelli look like an also ran. There was no doubt when she walked out into public, grown men would salivate, boys would think dirty thoughts, girls would toss their Barbie Dolls, and women would hate her.

Funny dream for sure. It was time to shuck the dress and go take a shower. Without thinking, I reached up behind my back and unzipped the dress. I stepped out of it and pushed piles of petticoats down past my hips at the same time. There was a dress form in the corner of the bedroom. I slipped the dress over it, taking time to straighten it up and take care of the train. Walking back over to the dressing table, I felt the soft sway of my body as my hips rolled with each graceful step. Because the dress wouldn’t allow it, I wasn’t wearing a bra and my breasts felt weighty on my chest with any movement. I slid my petite little hands up under them and lifted. Those puppies weighed a ton! How did a woman put up with them? I was thinking of the old saying, ‘any more than a handful is a waste.’ I was thinking how right that was. Anything more was strictly for men’s entertainment.

Sitting down on the cushioned seat, I leaned over and removed my heels. White satin pumps, they had a five-inch heel or it could have been more. They were perfect. Carefully I slid long red fingernails under the straps from my garter belt and unhooked my nylons. My fingers were long, delicate and sensitive. Things men could never begin to do without making a mess of it come second nature to women. I slid my fingers between the nylons and my leg and pushed them down off my small feet. I laid the nylons out on top of the dresser before I stood up and slipped off the garter belt. The multimillion dollar necklace was next and it went onto the form on top the dresser. The long dangle diamond earrings had to be a couple hundred thousand themselves. They had a screw back on the post that went through my ear lobes. No one wanted to lose a hundred thousand dollar earring because the back slid off. They had their place beside the matching necklace. It was absurd when I thought about it. I was broke and in my dream I’m wearing designer clothes and jewelry that would make a hefty down payment on my debt.

Talk about a strange dream! I was wondering when it was going to end as I headed for the shower. Black lace panties were all I was wearing. I slid them off before I gathered up my long black hair under a shower cap. The shower felt so real I knew I had to be waking up soon.

Stepping out of the shower, I admired the body I was dreaming as I toweled off. My dream body was sensitive to the slightest touch. The petite frame made the huge breasts even more overstated than normal if that were possible. I ran my hand down my side and cupped my waist. Impossibly small was the idea that ran through my mind.

It was time to get dressed and find something to eat. Funny, I never remembered being hungry in any dream before. Okay, I wasn’t ever a woman in any of my damned dreams before either, but it seemed natural. Or was it natural because it was a dream? I walked over to the dresser and selected black lace panties. Must have a thing for black lace panties or something? I picked up a black lace brassiere and looked at it before I slipped it on. Forty four double D was obviously the size this girl wore. Busty, choice Vegas stripper material for sure. A garter belt was next. The one I had discarded earlier was okay to use. Nylons were next and I walked to the closet. Brown leather, open strap, five-inch heels of course. A matching brown silk, almost dress. I said almost because it covered the bare necessities and nothing more. I put slightly less expensive, drop dangle diamond earrings back in my ears and slipped on a diamond necklace. There was a diamond ladies watch laying on the dresser and it went on my left wrist.

It was a white mink jacket I took out of the closet as I picked up the brown leather shoulder purse off the dresser and headed for the door. I checked for an apartment key and then looked in the ladies billfold before I stepped out. A license was issued to Bridget Renee Tonue. I was Indian with French ancestry? Strange dream. There were a couple of hundred dollars in the purse but no credit cards. So I could obviously dream up money but I couldn’t dream up credit cards? The funny thing about dreams is one can’t steer them where they want them to go. ‘I was living proof of that,’ I thought as I checked myself out in the mirror before stepping out in the hall.

As I stepped off the elevator in the lobby, the security guard looked up and smiled. “Good morning Miss Tonue. You look stunning.”

I walked up to this huge mountain of a man. He was the same guy I had met last night when I wasn’t dreaming. I noticed his nametag. “Horace, it’s kind of you to say so. And it’s Bridget if you don’t mind. I’m starving. Is there any place to get a bite of lunch close by?”

“Sure, there is Swanks down the street to your left as you leave the building. There is the Southwest Grill across the street. And...” He was pointing with his hands as he gave directions.

“I’ll try that grill place. Food okay there?” I don’t know why I cared about staying close to the hotel. I mean after all, when my dream ended I would get up and jump out the window. A few blocks or a few thousand miles certainly wouldn’t make any difference in where I was going to be when I awoke. I was going to be lying on the floor of an apartment belonging to a woman named Morgan when this dumb dream ended.

Mr. Logan stepped out of his office before Horace could answer me. “Miss Tonue, you look absolutely beautiful, which is why I don’t think you should be out on your own. Please allow Mr. Luk to accompany you to lunch.”

A short nondescript man stepped out from behind Mr. Logan.

“You are Mr. Luk?” I thought it was strange I wasn’t turned off by the short fellow. In fact, I think I preferred him to Mr. Horace or Mr. Logan. I wouldn’t be attracted to Mr. Luk and it could be a strictly platonic relationship with no strings. With an escort I wouldn’t have to fend off any men who wanted to hit on me. I warmed up to the idea in a hurry.

“Yes, I he.” The short guy seemed unsure of himself.

“Good, let’s go eat. I’m famished.” I held out my hand for him to take and walk me across the street.

Hesitantly, he walked over and wrapped his hand around mine. As his hand took mine, I felt secure, comfortable, a flush of euphoria I had never felt before. The world seemed a little brighter and the sun was already shining after a soggy night. I was more alive than I had ever been. Little things Jerry Rands would have never noticed were things of wonder to Bridget Renee Tonue.

As Mr. Luk opened the door, I walked out into a fresh world scrubbed clean from a freezing rain. The world smelled new. Wondrous scents assaulted my nostrils as I stepped out onto the sidewalk with Mr. Luk. The smell of food cooking across the street was plainly distinctive. The... I had my eyes closed taking in all the mind numbing pleasures when I thought of them.

Turning around I looked up at the parapet at the top of the six story building and waved. “Hi guys.”

Grimcost never wiggled as he talked out of the side of his mouth. “Did she just say hi to us?”

Garmon looked down at the woman before he realized what he had done. “Oh shit. I didn’t mean to do that. She’s looking up here and waving and she ain’t waving at the ducks or pigeons in the air.”

Grimcost slightly shook his head, hopefully not enough for the woman to see them from six stories down. “Mr. Logan ain’t gonna like this. Get real still. Maybe she will think she’s seeing things.”

It was the funniest thing I had ever seen. One of the gargoyles had looked down when I shouted and waved at them. Now he was acting like he hadn’t done it. Cute! I wrapped both my hands around Mr. Luk’s arm and pulled him into me as I leaned on him. “It’s so intense isn’t it. All the little things flood the mind and to think I never noticed them before.”

Mr. Luk was embarrassed by the closeness of the young lady. Humans were so emotional. He turned his head and smiled at her. She was also beautiful. “Yes.”

Horace was standing in the door watching along with Mr. Logan. “She seems over-charged. Did Morgan give her an extra boost or something?”

“No, she’s seeing life for the first time my old friend. As Jerry Rands she never stopped long enough to sample the little things in life. He was always looking for the big money and the fast dollar. He was lost, as he thought money was happiness.” Mr. Logan felt the euphoria sweep back from Bridget as she reveled in the wonders of her world.

“But, she’s rich now according to human standards. Morgan left her with designer dresses, fashion jewelry, and ...” Horace realized she wasn’t rich. She had no money besides the few hundred in her purse. Beautiful dresses didn’t make her rich. The jewelry was certainly no claim to wealth by itself.

“She’s a lucky woman. I hope she finds what she desires. She seems so content with what Morgan did to her. I’ve never seen one adapt so quickly.” Horace was wishing Bridget wasn’t going to find despair now she had found happiness.

“She adapted because she thinks she’s dreaming all this. Humans can accept a dream in any state. Reality has to have rules one doesn’t wander outside of. Bridget is Bridget at the moment. Jerry Rands is asleep someplace. She thinks he will wake up and Bridget will be a dream past.” Mr. Logan watched and admired her walk.

Mr. Logan wasn’t the only one watching Bridget cross the street as she held onto Luk’s arm. A couple of young men happened to be walking out of Backwater Sports Shop at that moment. “Oh my god! Would you look at that!”

“WHAT, WHERE?” His friend was looking for some terrible happening someplace down the street before he glanced over and gazed where his buddy was looking.

“Shazam! She’s definitely a hot fox. Look at the guy she’s with. Why do all the good looking ones take up with the homely guys?”

The first one shook his head as the woman and man walked into Southwest Grill. “I don’t know.”

Luk escorted Bridget over to a table and waited until she sat down before he took his place. A man with Indian bloodlines walked up to their table. “Luk, good to see you. And who is this exquisite creature?”

Luk looked uncomfortable as he tried to decide if he should introduce Bridget to Trick. Mr. Logan might not be pleased if Trick did anything. Morgan might decide to intervene also. “She’s a guest of Mr. Logan.”

“Then introduce us my friend. Stop being so standoffish.” The man waited.

Luk decided Mr. Logan could take care of Trick if any problems arose. “Trick, this is Bridget.”

Trick held out his hand. “Pleased to meet you Bridget. Would you like me to take your jacket?”

I took his hand and shook it before I stood up and turned my back toward him as I slipped off my fur coat. “Pleasure is mine. Thank you, it was kind for you to offer.”

Trick held onto my coat as he stared at me. “I am going to have to ask for the recipe from Logan. She is awe inspiring. Candy will bring your menus. It’s been a pleasure Bridget.”

I was trying to figure out what kind of recipe Trick would want from Mr. Logan? “Luk, what was he talking about? Is it an old family secret?”

Luk looked startled as he stared at me. “Family secret? No, I know of any old secret. What secret?”

“What kind of recipe was Trick wanting? Had to be something good.”

“Luk looked embarrassed as a smile spread across his face. “Good, most definitely.”

This was getting nowhere fast. Luk was spared by the waitress bringing us a menu.

The steak was the best I had ever eaten. The salad was to die for, it was so fresh and crisp. The asparagus was swimming in cheese and my taste buds were in heaven. I was glad this was a dream otherwise I would soon be waddling everywhere as I would be fat as a pig eating like this. I have no idea where Trick could come up with red wine that smooth. It was a taste of pure heaven in a glass. I believe I ate most of my meal with my eyes closed as I savored every single taste. Maybe I had already committed suicide and this was heaven? I’d have to check and see if I was still lying on the floor when I got back to the room. I was praying this dream would never end even if I was a girl.

The lemon meringue pie? I wasn’t able to eat but a couple bites I was so full from pigging out on lunch, but ooh-la-la what a sweet tart taste it had. No one could make a lemon pie that could compete with Trick’s. When my palate had finally settled down again I managed to look around before the check came. Half the restaurant was watching Luk and me. The other half was taking quick glances, trying to not look obvious.

I looked down to see if I had fallen out of my dress? No, I was still in it almost. The little short number I was wearing wasn’t going to leave much to the imagination.

Trick walked over. “I am terribly sorry Bridget. Some thief stole your mink coat while you were eating. The meal will be on me and I’ll replace the coat of course.”

I pulled a hundred out of my billfold and laid it on the table. “Don’t be silly. I’ll dream up another. That was the best meal I have ever eaten. It was divine.”

He looked at the hundred dollar bill as Luk and I rose from the table. “I’ll get your change.”

I waved my hand with a flip of the wrist. “Keep the change. I’ll dream up another one of those too. And maybe some credit cards to go with next time.”

Trick looked over at Luk. “Something was left out of the recipe. She’s a few bricks shy of a full load.”

Luk started to say something and then decided not to. “Let’s go back to the hotel Miss Tonue.”

“We can’t walk around and look over the stores for awhile?” I wanted to window shop while I was having this much fun.

“Your coat is missing. You could catch your death of cold.” For the first time he looked serious.

We had walked out the door and were standing on the sidewalk. “Don’t be silly. This is a dream and I can’t catch my death of cold in a dream.”

About that time a gust of winter air blew across my bare shoulders and scurried up my skirt. Involuntarily I shivered. “Boy, that’s fresh.”

Luk took off his coat and wrapped it around my shoulders. “Please, Miss Tonue, let’s go back to the hotel.”

“Okay why not? We can go window shopping as soon as I find another coat. Huh?” For the first time I looked up at the name over the door of the hotel. Deety Arms? Hard to tell if that was an e or an i. Could it be Deity Arms? I waved at the gargoyles before we walked in the foyer.

“She waved again.” Grimcost was still as a statue should be as he mumbled out of the side of his mouth.

“That girl is gonna be trouble, I can tell.” Garmon was looking to see if anyone else had looked up when she waved.

“Would you be still. We are supposed to be stone monuments.” Grimcost was getting exasperated at his friend.

“Quit your whining. No one is looking. The girl is the only one who knows.” Garmon scratched his ear with his back leg before he stopped moving.

Inside the hotel I walked over and wrapped my arms around Horace, giving him a heartfelt hug. “It’s wonderful, isn’t it?”

I could feel him hesitate before he hugged me back. “What is wonderful, Miss Tonue?”

It was on impulse I kissed his cheek before I backed up. “Everything. Can’t you feel it? The world is alive with sights and sounds. Ta, ta, Doll. I gotta go see if I woke up yet.”

Horace blinked as he watched Bridget get on the elevator. He looked over at Mr. Luk who was also staring. “What did Trick do to her over there?”

“Nothing. You had to be there to believe it. She was enjoying each bite of food so much, all the rest of us had to stop and enjoy with her. She had the whole restaurant entranced. I think Trick was as fascinated as everyone else.” Luk was saddened by the thought she would find reality and lose her charm. Only in newborn babies had he seen such enthusiasm with the world around them.

It was surprising to not see me lying on the floor when I walked into the apartment. I was positive I would open the door, see me, and I would wake up from this dream. Oh well, I could wake up and die anytime as long as the IRS or that judge’s minions didn’t find me first. Looking around the apartment, I decided the odds of them searching for me here was one of the longest odds anyone could face. I walked over to the window and tapped on it, hoping my little friends would come down. No such luck. They were obviously busy at the front of the building. I wonder if one can make a pet of a gargoyle?

Mr. Logan would know. They were on his building. When the elevator stopped at the ground floor I bounded over to his office. Horace was trying to say something before I opened the door. “Miss Tonue, you can’t...”

Mr. Logan was working at his desk when I skipped into his office. “Mr. Logan, what do you feed your gargoyles?”

His hands stopped moving, and he looked up at me out of the corner of his eyes. “Come again?”

“I want to feed the gargoyles. They have to eat too.” I plopped my butt into a chair beside his desk as I waited for an answer.

“Miss Tonue, they are stone statues. They don’t eat.” He pushed his papers back on his desk and diverted his full attention in my direction.

Tugging the hem of my dress down, I sat up in the chair like a proper lady. “Sorry. Now about the gargoyles, they may be stone but they are alive. What do they eat? I tried to get them to come to my window. They are ignoring me.”

His eyes twinkled as he looked at me in amusement. “Aren’t you the one? Trust me Miss Tonue, they don’t eat a whole lot. I don’t think you can entice them over to your window with food.”

“Okay.” I turned slightly in the chair and rose up like a real lady would. Mr. Logan’s office was full of wonderful smells. The leather chair I had been sitting in smelled like old leather. Closing my eyes, I tilted my head back and smelled. The old books on the shelf behind Mr. Logan smelled like a thousand years of knowledge. The wood panel in his office smelled like a hundred years.

I walked around his office reveling in the scents I could almost feel as they passed my nose. The picture of ancient gods on his wall smelled like thousands of years old paints. The chair he was sitting in? Old leather and wood. I picked up his arm as he patiently watched in amusement. Mr. Logan’s clothes smelled like a grandfather would, warm, inviting, and of a life well worn. Mr. Logan himself smelled like anybody’s grandfather. He smelled like comfort, trust, and places only imagined. Impulsively, I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a life squeezing hug before I kissed him on the cheek. I wanted this dream to last forever and ever.

“It’s grand isn’t it? It’s the way life was supposed to be before we took a wrong turn and wanted material things.” Backing up I was wiping tears of happiness. It felt so good it hurt. Suddenly I no longer wanted to wake up from this dream. I really didn’t want to end my dream and kill myself.

Walking over to the door, I stopped and turned around before I left his office. “I wish they would come and sit in my window. I’d like to tell them my story before I die. It would make it easier if I could tell someone even if they are gargoyles.”

Wiping the tears as they trickled down my cheeks, I never wanted to wake up because I would have to die. I wasn’t going to prison to die in a six by ten cell. “It’s been fun. I wish you were real instead of my dream. I would like to share it with you also. But it’s not real is it? When you walk into your office in the morning you will never know I was here.”

My heart was breaking as I turned to leave. “Thank you for the best dream of my life Mr. Logan. I’ll never forget you.”

Horace saw me crying as I ran from Mr. Logan’s office. “Miss Tonue...”

Mr. Logan walked into the lobby and watched. Bridget was wiping tears as she stepped in the elevator. “She’s so inquisitive and so fragile.”

Horace nodded. “I have a hard time handling her emotional flood when she touches me. It’s been many centuries since I have seen anyone like her.”

Mr. Logan looked at his old friend. “I know. You need to wipe the lipstick off your cheek where she kissed you.”

Horace reached up with his left hand and rubbed his left cheek. “That one almost undid me. I would have married her on the spot if she had asked me.”

“As I, my old friend.” Mr. Logan wiped his right cheek to make sure he had removed any signs of Bridget’s affections.

Crying my heart out, I fled back to the safety of Morgan’s apartment. If one could trade life for their favorite dream, what a life we could have. I ran into the bedroom, flung myself across the bed, and cried, and cried. I finally cried myself to sleep.

“Poor girl. I wish I could help.” Gorm was sitting on the ledge looking at the girl lying on the bed. She was gasping in little sobbing hiccups after crying herself to sleep.

“We have seen girls cry themselves to sleep. Why does this one bother you?” Grim pushed Gorm aside so he could get a better look in the window.

“She’s not like the others. They were fighting for the life they had left behind. She’s fighting to leave that life. It’s not the same. She wants to be Bridget with all her heart and soul.” Gorm turned to look out across the cityscape as he didn’t think he could bear the pain of watching her suffer.

Grim snorted in disgust. “You didn’t think of that all by yourself. Mr. Logan must have told you.”

Gorm shook his head. “It doesn’t take a god to tell me what she’s feeling. Look at her. Tell me you can’t feel it too.”

Grim looked and then turned his back to the window. “That’s disgusting.”

“What are you two yapping about over there?” came from Garmon at the front of the building.

Gorm raised his head and hollered back over the roof. “It’s that new girl. She’s in pain.”

Gorm looked over at Grim. “You felt it didn’t you?”

Grim spread his wings before he stepped off the ledge. “No, and I don’t want to talk about it any longer either.”

Gorm watched his friend circle out across the sky before he circled back to the other side of the building. “He felt it. He’s too stubborn to admit it.”

Deity Arms Separator

“Morgan, we have a problem. Bridget is going off the emotional charts. She needs something to keep her busy as her mind settles down.” Mr. Logan was talking into his speakerphone.

“Logan, I can’t do anything for her right now. We are in the middle of a fashion show. Two days and I’ll send her to Rio for our next show,” the phone answered back.

“She won’t last that long Morgan. She isn’t your usual run of the mill life-shift. I remember now why we never get involved with the ones wanting to die. They have nothing to hold onto emotionally. She will kill herself trying to live the life you gave her. She must be kept busy until she realizes she isn’t dreaming.” Mr. Logan looked across the room at Horace who was nodding his head in the affirmative.

“Can she wait tables? Send her over to work with Trick as a waitress,” Morgan’s voice came back through the wires.

Mr. Logan sighed. “I thought since she was your project, you would handle it Morgan. I’ll come up with something.”

He clicked the phone off as he paced the office. “Atlantic Airlines could use a girl like her.”

Horace knitted his eyebrows together before he answered. “It may work.”

“Have Mr. Luk place some uniforms in her closet. I’ll have them notify her.” Mr. Logan sat down at his desk and was dialing as he spoke.

“Bridget, you’re going to miss your flight. Come on girl and shake a leg before you make us both late.”

I heard a woman’s voice as someone was gently shaking me. I was slowly waking up. “What?”

“We are barely going to make it if you hurry. Let’s go hon. I called a cab. They will be here in twenty minutes.” She wasn’t letting me get back to sleep.

“Uh, sure. You wouldn’t believe the dre...” I was awake, or not awake and still in the same dream. This gets weirder and weirder. Can one dream they are coming out of a dream into a dream? I pushed my hair out of my face. I even had some hair in my mouth. I spit it out as I tried to work some moisture back up into my mouth.

“I’m Bridget aren’t I?” I rolled over and sat up in bed. Hair was hanging down in front of my face. I put my thumbs up against my forehead, divided my hair, and pushed it back over my shoulders. The lady who had been shaking me was a seriously attractive young redhead about twenty or twenty-two and had enough vital curves to be labeled ‘dangerous to hold.’ Those emerald green eyes of hers made me think of leprechauns.

Her laughter filled the room as she walked over to the closet and lifted out a pink flight attendant’s uniform. Similar to the uniform she was wearing, it had a white silk or polyester blouse that had a wide collar and a pink jacket. The white blouse collar spread shoulder to shoulder on top of the jacket. The short pink skirt was a mini. “Take a quick shower. I’ll help with the makeup in the cab. We are going to be late.”

Donna had a nametag on her pink uniform when I came out of the shower. Or maybe I had missed seeing it before? It was a pair of silver wings over her name. She was packing a small suitcase and an overnight bag. “I think I have most of the necessities in here. Jump into your clothes and let’s go. We don’t want to be late.”

Underclothes and a uniform were laid out on the bed. It took me less than five minutes to put on a black lace bra, tan pantyhose, a black lace slip, and my uniform. I slid my feet into pumps with a five-inch heel as I finished up. I pushed my long black hair over my back as I stood up. “I’m ready.”

Donna shook her head as she reached back into my closet and retrieved two-inch heels. “Bridget, I know you wear those damn heels like the rest of us wear flats. Just in case your feet rebel I’m gonna toss these in your bag.”

“Sure, thanks Donna. I appreciate the help.” She was headed out the door with my overnighter. I grabbed up my suitcase and purse as I ran after her.

Horace was watching as Donna and I stepped off the elevator. “Miss Tonue, Miss James, you ladies flying out this afternoon?”

Donna pointed to a suitcase and an overnighter beside his desk as she looked out the front door. “Horace, our cab is here. Would you be a sweetheart and take those out for me?”

“My pleasure Miss James.” Horace reached down and swept up the objects mentioned as he pushed open the door.

As we slid into the cab, Horace loaded our suitcases in the trunk. Our driver was pulling away from the curb before I had a chance to catch my breath.

Donna helped me put my face on as our driver sped us off to wherever it was we were going. I’m glad he and Donna knew, because I didn’t have the foggiest idea. That’s the nice thing about dreams, you don’t have to know where they are headed. I guess that is the reason they are called dreams.

I managed a good look at the cab driver as he helped set our suitcases on the sidewalk in front of the terminal. He looked to be of Egyptian or Arabian descent. His name tag said Kemel. “Thanks for the ride. What’s the charge?”

Donna wrapped her hand around my arm before I could get my purse open. “It’s been taken care of. We are definitely late. Grab your bags and let’s go.”

I was thinking tip but it was only a thought. Before I could put it into action, Kemel was back in his cab and Donna was about to get lost in the crowd going into the terminal. My suitcase had one of those little snap out handles and wheels on the bottom. Luckily I didn’t have to carry it as I picked up the handle and charged into the crowd trying to keep the back of Donna’s head in sight. I parked the prerequisite, ‘coffee, tea, or me’ smile on my face all good flight attendants use. I was thinking Ronald McDonald and I had a lot in common. He sold Happy Meals, and I sold Happy Flights.

Donna turned a lot of heads as she worked her way toward the concourse. She was more than well-built. Do women think of women like that? I guess they do because I did and I was a woman. For right now, anyway. I never understood the term men used when describing exceptionally curvaceous women. ‘She’s built better than a brick outhouse.’ I guess the meaning in there was, she was well designed or solidly designed. As I watched Donna thread her way through the pedestrian traffic, I decided that would describe her. She had a fluid walk as her hips swayed with each step. Donna was a lot better proportioned than Kelli or myself. She carried herself elegantly on her two-inch pumps.

It was amusing to watch men react as Donna approached them, or the reactions of other men as she walked past as she hurried toward her destination. If they were with other male companions their eyes would get bigger and they would nudge their friend to make sure they also saw her. If the men were with women companions they would look, avert their eyes, and look again, and again as they tried to sneak in peeks without their wives or girlfriends noticing what they were doing. It was doubly funny because the women knew what the men were doing, no matter how discrete they were trying to be. Women aren’t as stupid as men want them to be.

If Donna wowed them, then I guess I was the shock wave. Don’t get me wrong, Donna was more than a beautiful sexy redhead. Those long gorgeous legs of hers belonged in a chorus line such as the Rocketts at Radio City Music Hall. As I passed the men, I heard the good, bad, and ugly comments. “Jesus Christ, there are two of them! Look... look at this one! What airlines do those babes fly on? Holy cow, did you see the knockers on that second one! Oooo... weeee, baby, come fly with me!”

Donna walked straight up to the head of the security line and dropped her suitcases on the belt. I don’t think the security men looked at Donna’s luggage as she passed through their stiles. An older lady was protesting, as Donna picked up her luggage on the other side.

“Well, pardon me, I was here first. Why didn’t she have to wait her turn like the rest of us? I’m going to complain to the airlines. I think it’s terribly rude when she can go on through and I had to wait.” She was still yakking as I walked up beside her.

“What, another one? Young lady, you can wait your turn. I was here first.” She was glaring at me, defying me to challenge the right to go ahead of her.

“Yes ma’am. You go on ahead ma’am. You were here before me.” I waited as she sent her luggage through the screeners.

“That’s right. I was here first. I’m a customer and I should be treated as one.” The lady picked up her bags on the other end.

Before I set my suitcase up on the belt I checked with the man who had been standing behind the elderly lady. “Do you mind? I’m late for my plane.”

“No, go right ahead. I don’t think there are too many of us who would want to serve ourselves in the air.”

“You’re very kind.” I dropped my suitcase on the belt and was walking through the turnstile.

“Repay the favor when I get onboard. I’m praying I’m on your flight.”

Turning to look to see if he was serious, I saw laugh lines around his eyes. I gave him a wink as I made sure I would recognize him if he was on my flight. “I’ll do my best to make you comfortable.”

One of the men behind him muttered loud enough for everyone within ten feet to hear. “Damn, I changed my ticket from Atlantic to Southwest. I wonder if it’s too late to change it back.”

Everyone laughed as I scurried to catch up with Donna. I saw pink disappear around the corner at the end of the concourse. It was more luck than anything else when I caught a glimpse of her going into the Atlantic Airlines terminal.

The lady at the door motioned me behind the booth as I approached. “Good to see you Bridget. We have a full passenger complement this afternoon. You will be up front with Sue in first class section. I was told there are going to be several VIPs on this flight. Be extra attentive on this run.”

“Sure. Anyone in particular, or wing it?” I knew I had made a pun after it left my mouth. I checked her nametag, Laura.

Laura shook her head as she chuckled. “That’s the spirit girl. Be nice to everyone. They will be noticing little things like that if you don’t. Now go. I see our first passengers headed this way.”

I made my way down the ramp onto the plane. Donna was nowhere to be seen. She could be in back getting things put away. I had flown enough miles to know a hostess didn’t have a glamorous job like most people thought. They worked their pretty little tails off for starvation pay. The passenger manifest was lying in the seat by the door. I picked it up and waited as I saw a passenger coming through the tunnel.

“Your name and ticket please sir.” I put the hostess, coffee, tea, or me required smile on my face.

“John Blair, seat one oh four.” He had stepped onto the plane.

I ran down the list and matched the name. “Certainly Mr. Blair. It’s about two thirds of the way toward the back. I hope you enjoy your flight with Atlantic.”

“I always do Bridget, I always do.” He was smiling as he headed toward the rear of the plane.

The passengers started coming in streams almost immediately. I was wondering where Donna was, or whoever was supposed to direct traffic. I knew there were always two attendants who checked passengers onto the plane. The other three attendants directed those who invariably got lost looking for their seat. Five flight attendants on a two hundred and ninety passenger plane was normal fare. The two pilots made their appearance within ten minutes. I was envious, as I always had to help load the luggage and the passengers when I was flying these birds. It was probably about the same time I had that thought, that a small doubt seeded in the dark recesses of my mind.

The first pilot purposely bumped me as he stepped on the plane. “Bridget, we are going to need some coffee after takeoff.”

“I’ll see what I can do, captain.” If I could have dropped a Mickey in it, I would have done that too. I already didn’t like this guy with the name Baker on his jacket.

The second one stopped and devoured me with his eyes like I was a slave on the auction block. These were the kind of pilots who thought the stewardesses on their plane belonged to them. I didn’t look down at my nametag. I was positive, ‘fly me, screw me’ wasn’t on it anyplace. Jerry had flown with these kinds of jet jockeys. They were invariably egomaniacs who thought every female was dying to jump into their bed.

“New girl huh? We will get you broke in real quick,” the second one offered before he too headed up to the cockpit.

Jerk! His idea of ‘broke in’ didn’t mean I would figure out how to be a good hostess to the passengers. My train of thought for derailing those two clowns was ended by Laura boarding the plane. She turned to close up the door as the loading ramp was moved away.

“Sue and Sharon aren’t going to make it. We are going to have to fly with two attendants short. Sue got a call about twenty minutes ago. Her husband was in an accident. Sharon’s husband was involved too. I called everyone I could, but the subs are either flying already, can’t be reached, or they can’t get here in time.”

Laura had the door shut and the engines were winding up. “This is going to be one long trip with only three of us. I’ll go tell Donna the good news.”

“We can handle it Laura. Take a deep breath and remember we are the best they have. Don’t rush, don’t panic, and don’t let them fluster you if they all start screaming at the same time. Put a smile in your heart and your passengers will smile too even if they don’t understand why.” I was putting away the passenger list and fastening things down as I remembered what it was like flying for Salt Lake. This would be a piece of cake even if we were two attendants shy. And our two bozos flying this bird could bite me if they didn’t get the attention they thought they deserved on this flight.

Heading toward the rear of the plane, Laura was shaking her head. “I’ll go back and tell Donna that Little Miss Sunshine said not to worry.”

The ground crew places all the lunches, snacks, and other necessities on the plane. They don’t organize it. That’s up to the stewardesses after they board. I moved into the forward galley and began arranging the equipment as best I could remember from watching the girls when I had to take hops to catch my commuter flights.

Donna tapped me on the shoulder. She was holding a pair of pink nurses’ shoes in her hands. “You and I wear the same size shoe. I had these in my bag. Slip them on before we start. I know rules say we are supposed to wear heels and wiggle our butts for the passengers. This flight is going to be a marathon for us with two attendants shy. Any of the brass says anything they can take it up with me.”

I slipped out of my heels and into the shoes Donna offered. “Thanks, I know my feet will be grateful later.”

“Turn around, let’s take care of your hair so you don’t have to hold it with one hand every time you lean down or reach over a passenger.” Donna took my long hair, pulled it up in a ponytail, and caught it with a ponytail holder.

“Thanks again Donna. I guess you are my guardian angel.”

“Sam is the flight engineer. He has been in the back visiting with me. You have eighty-four passengers in first class, we have one hundred and seventy six in cabin. Laura is going to be working the back along with me. We will try to make it up front as much as possible. Don’t count on a lot of help from either of us. Sam said he would help out in front. We date often but he’s not a steady. If he asks you for a date and you feel like it, go ahead. He’s not spoken for.” Donna was helping with the trays as she was talking.

“I have to go back and give the safety rules. It will be on the public address system. Do your show and tell up here as I go though it in the back.” She gave me a wink before she turned and headed toward the back.

A pilot was coming my way at the same time Donna was headed for the back. They passed in the aisle. A couple feet away, he stopped and held out his hand. “I’m Sam. After we get this bird off the ground and into the air, I’ll be your assistant.”

I took his offered handshake. This guy was seriously handsome. He was also wearing the emblem of a captain on his uniform. I was looking at his name. “Uh, Captain O’Donald, I thought Donna told me you were the flight engineer?”

A smile spread clear across his face as he winked at me with his right eye. “I am the flight engineer this hop. I’ll be your captain on the flight back tomorrow. And please, Sam will work. Only those I don’t like address me as Captain.”

Steady girl, get a grip, those he doesn’t like? Sam was a lot like Horace and Mr. Logan, I felt comfortable, safe, and peaceful being close to him. “Sure, captain... uh, Sam.”

“Bridget?” He looked into my eyes and laugh lines spread across his face.

“Yes, Captain... Sam... Sir?”

“I need my hand so I can go take my place in the cockpit for a few minutes.”

I looked down. I had been holding onto his hand with a death grip. I let it go like I had touched a hot stove. What was the matter with me? “I’m sorry, Sir... Sam...” I wanted to sit down and cry. Brain where did you abandon me? I should have been blonde. I certainly was acting like one. Okay, that’s an uncalled for remark against blondes.

Sam chuckled as he walked past me toward the cockpit. “It’s mutual admiration Bridget. You are one of the prettiest flight attendants Atlantic has on their roster.”

My heart did a flip flop right inside my breast. Tend to business Bridget. You have a plane full of passengers who will want someone to hold their hand clear out to...? Wherever this dream was going I guess. That smallest seed of doubt had sprouted but I didn’t have time to work on the concept of dream or not dreaming. I had work to do. Donna had come on the PA system and was addressing the passengers what to do in case of loss of cabin pressure, turbulence, impending crash, how to exit in an emergency, and so forth. Up in first class, I was mimicking her as she went through the procedures. And yes, absolutely no one paid the slightest bit of attention to the instructions. I put passengers in three classes of people. Those who have flown so often they already heard this a hundred times. Those who were macho and thought they knew more than the flight attendants did so they didn’t listen. And then those who were arrogant and weren’t going to listen to any instructions no matter what.

It was a flight from New York to Los Angeles and I walked all the way. I don’t believe there was a single customer in first class who didn’t want two or three drinks every hour. It’s against policy to let passengers get drunk on a plane. After that first drink I started diluting their alcohol with lots of seltzer. Sam was a lifesaver when it was time to serve meals. Atlantic Airlines customers wanted Miss Hooters to give them the personal touch and I did my best. Sam loaded up the food cart and kept it coming as I handed out meals. He made sure he had the cart handy when it was time to pick up empty trays. He saved me so many trips up and down the aisle, I would have had his baby if he had asked at that moment. The pilot and co-pilot received their coffee but not from me. Sam was also taking care of that responsibility.

We managed to get the trays locked back up before landing. When that plane rolled up to the terminal, I wanted nothing more than to drop into a chair and die. My feet weren’t sore thanks to Donna’s shoes, but my legs were killing me. We flew three thousand miles and I walked every foot of the way. Rest was out of the question, as it was time to give the customary ‘thanks for flying Atlantic, hope you enjoyed your flight, and please come back’ as I smiled and gave each passenger the message we would love to have them fly us again. Silently, I was hoping all these people took the bus next time.

Donna and Laura dropped in the seat behind me after the last passenger had deplaned. Donna looked up at me. “Never again! Next time someone can’t make it they better count me out too because I’m getting off before it leaves the ground.”

Laura kicked off her pumps and was massaging her feet. “I agree. I can’t believe I let Little Miss Sunshine talk me into sticking it out.”

I wanted a long hot bath in a whirlpool tub to relax my legs, I was in serious pain. “Okay, I made a boo boo. But we managed and we are still alive.”

Donna shook her head as she leaned back in the seat. “Speak for yourself girl. I’ve joined the walking dead.”

The pilot stepped up beside me and took my right arm in his hand. He was urging me towards the ramp. “Let’s go get a couple drinks.”

“No thanks. I’m tired. I’m going to find a hot bath, a sandwich, and a mindless TV program I can watch from bed.” I was refusing to move.

His grip tightened as the co-pilot stepped up behind him. “Come on Bridget, we’ll have some fun.”

I was thinking these guys’ idea of fun was probably me drunk in the middle of their bedroom while they took turns screwing me. “Captain Baker, you are pinching the fire out of my arm. I suggest you remove your hand before I break it off and feed you your own damn fingers. It’s going to seriously jeopardize your career as a pilot if you don’t own both of those hands you now possess.”

Cal Baker looked shocked one of the flying bimbos would talk to him like that. What he didn’t know I was just as shocked as he. It had to be the doubt that germinated in my mind back in New York and sprouted on the flight. Jerry wasn’t dreaming no matter how impossible the idea might seem. For whatever reason, in some convoluted way, Bridget Renee Tonue was Jerry Rands, or vice versa. Now the old Jerry Rands had reverted back to the uncontrolled rage his instructors had always cautioned him against. My body was too small to hurt Cal with a punch. I would have to fold his legs up under him by catching the backs with my right leg. He would start down dragging me with him. If I didn’t follow him down he would pull me over on top of him and I would be helpless. I would squat as he went down and somewhere about floor level he would instinctively release me to protect himself against hitting the floor. I would palm his forehead driving it back into the floor. Hopefully he would be too addled to return the blow. I would back up out of his range to see if he or his partner were going to want more or if they had enough.

Cal blinked as he stared at me. “Listen Bridget, I invited you to a party. There’s no need to get hostile.”

Cal and his friend obviously thought the flight attendants were part of their personal harem. They would anoint their chosen one for a night of orgy and she was supposed to swoon to their demands.

“Captain, I never ask three times. Remove your hand or lose it.” I knew I was going to have bruises where he was gripping my arm.

He turned me loose and stepped off the plane. “Your loss. I couldn’t care less.”

The co-pilot, Eddie Crockers, stopped in front of me. He started to say something.

I shook my head. “Not in this lifetime. You tell Cal there is a one foot area around me I consider my personal space. When you invade that space without an invitation, you are asking to be hurt and I will oblige you. There will be no warning next time anyone lays a hand on me. I won’t say please.”

Eddie Crockers shrugged his shoulders. “I’d watch myself if I were you. I may turn in a report on you for threatening us.”

“Before or after I show them my bruises and turn in my report? Don’t get in a war you can’t win Eddie. You’ll be loading baggage for Greyhound if it comes down to push in this.”

“You can be replaced tomorrow. We are pilots and they can’t fire us. We belong to the union.” He was furious as he tried to scare me with words.

“You are so stupid it’s not even funny. The union won’t back you in a sexual harassment suit. They will not only drop you like a hot potato, they will also help bury you. Haven’t you heard? Women aren’t part of the slaves’ quarters any longer. This is the twenty-first century and we are equal. For all you men who thought women were supposed to worship the ground you walked on, you missed the revolution.” I knew it was a lost cause. Those like Cal and Eddie thought women were their personal playthings. They would never change even if someone slapped them with a sexual suit and sent them to prison. Little minds like theirs never seemed to have reasoning or understanding powers.

Sam had stepped up where he could be seen. Eddie took a look at Laura, Donna, and Sam. “I didn’t touch her. You can’t get me for sexual harassment.”

“Harassment is more than physical contact Eddie. It can also be verbal. Quit while you’re ahead and go join Cal before you dig a hole you can’t get out of.” Sam walked up beside me as he was talking.

Eddie smiled a weak smile. There were too many witnesses for him to dispute. “No harm. Cal only asked if she wanted to go party. I didn’t touch her.” He turned and walked off the plane.

“Make out a report and I will witness it along with Donna and Laura.” Sam had a serious look on his face as he glanced over at the two of them to make sure they were going to agree.

“I don’t know. I have a few bruises but no real damage. I probably should let it slide.” I walked over to pick up my luggage and slip out of Donna’s shoes. I slipped on my heels and handed her shoes back to her.

“We aren’t going to let it slide Bridget. This isn’t going away because you don’t want to go to the effort of filing a report. Cal has two harassment reports in his file jacket. If they keep piling up then he will be fired, but we can’t fire him without the paper trail.”

“But, I wasn’t...”

“No buts. What about the girl who doesn’t want to, but doesn’t have the courage to say no? We tell all the attendants it won’t help their careers by dating a pilot. Some of the inexperienced ones fail to listen. What about them? You’re going to let Cal keep on harassing the attendants because you don’t want to be bothered with filing a report?” Sam was watching as I picked up my overnighter and my suitcase.

“Okay, I hear you. I’ll type it up when I get home.”

He nodded. “That’s more like it.”

“Now, how about me taking you ladies out to Friars for dinner?” I promise to have you back to the room in time for that hot bath and mindless TV before ten.” Sam was checking faces to see if he was going to get a nibble on his offer.

Laura shook her head. “I promised a friend I would make a birthday party this evening. No can do but thanks anyway.”

Donna shook her head as she looked at Sam. “You told me before liftoff you were going to take Bridget out tonight and now it’s a threesome?”

In shock I turned to look at Sam.

He shrugged his shoulders. “She never was any good at keeping secrets. I figured after that little altercation with Cal and Eddie you would turn me down cold if I asked you by yourself.”

Laura looked at Sam and then me before she headed out the door with her luggage. “You three work it out. I have a birthday party I’m going to.”

She stopped outside the door. “Bridget, I’d give it some serious consideration if it were me. Friars has some of the best food on the west coast, Sam is the number one eligible bachelor on any coast, and Donna is a lot of fun when she isn’t telling all.”

That made me blush. I looked at my feet before I got the nerve up to look at Donna. She was nodding her head. “Bridget, say yes. I promise you won’t regret it.”

I was still blushing as I looked up at Sam. Jerry Rands had been pushed back and forgotten again. Sam was seriously handsome and if Donna was along, nothing could get out of hand. “Okay.”

Sam smiled from ear to ear as he winked at Donna. “Your little end game worked. She doesn’t know if we were in cahoots together to get her to go out, or if it was a bet before takeoff.”

“End game? Now wait a second. I think I’ve been set up and snookered. Donna!”

Sam dropped us off at the apartment Atlantic had reserved for its flight attendants. I wasn’t sure what I made, but if I was starting out I was earning eighteen thousand a year. That didn’t leave a whole lot for necessities and rooms at the end of our flights. The larger airlines lease apartments as part of the package for their flight attendants. It wasn’t because they had a big heart. It was because they would have never kept any flight attendants if we had to rent a hundred or two hundred dollar room at the end of each flight. An eighteen thousand dollar salary doesn’t pay for thirty six thousand dollars worth of rooms each year. Flight attendant isn’t a job for someone looking for financial security.

Donna beat me to the shower. By the time I stepped out of the shower she was already dressed in an emerald green, polyester dress with a Princess Anne neckline and a short but full, flirty skirt. She had brushed her red hair and gave it a slight tease to give it fullness. Those green eyes of hers were sparkling. Any guy who saw her and didn’t instantly fall in love had to be gay. I imagine even a few of them would still be in love. She was wearing nylons and flats. I had to take a second look at her shoes. “That ought to knock his socks off. Are you going out like that?”

“Bridget, my dogs are still barking from being made to run up and down that airplane a thousand times. I refuse to put on anything with a heel. My feet wouldn’t stand it.” She slipped on a pearl necklace and long pearl earrings.

“Suit yourself. Sometimes a little pain is necessary if you plan on putting that little band of gold on his finger, or getting him to put one on your finger.” I was digging through my suitcase. I had little nothings packed. It was then I remembered Donna packed for me earlier.

I lifted a small purple dress out of the suitcase, and held it up on the tip of my index finger. It shimmered in the light. That flimsy little sheer, darling dress was going to leave more uncovered than what it hid. “Was this planned too?”

She looked over at what I was holding on my finger. “Bridget, you have the body for it. I tossed in a slip. Get dressed. I know Sam and he will be knocking on our door in a few minutes. He doesn’t waste a lot of time when he is ready to go out.”

It struck me as funny as I dressed. Everything I was wearing added up to less weight than a pair of jeans. It didn’t take long, as I wasn’t wearing a lot. Dark pantyhose, bra, slip and dress were it. That took all of three minutes more or less. Donna helped me with my makeup and jewelry. I had rhinestone earrings and necklace along with a rhinestone bracelet and watch. Donna brushed my hair and let it cascade down my back.

She held me out at arm’s length to study her handiwork after she finished. “You have the prettiest hair. You are so much wow bottled up in one package.”

Unbidden tears came to my eyes as I studied her face. I pulled her in and held on because my life depended on it. “Am I really Bridget? There isn’t a Jerry Rands anymore is there?”

I could feel her stiffen. Slowly she pushed me back to look in my eyes. “Yes, you really are Bridget.”

That did it. The dam burst as I let go of Jerry Rands. He was a dream and Bridget was real. Jerry had escaped prison, death, and suffering a wrong he didn’t commit. Jerry was gone forever. Donna held me as I cried on her shoulder. They were tears of pain for having to leave behind a life, tears of joy for escaping that life, and tears of fear because I had no idea what kind of life I was now living. I had no idea who or what Bridget was. That aspect bothered me more than the idea of dying. Death has a finality we know will happen to all of us sooner or later. No one can escape so what is there to fear from death? Die now or die later, but it will come. As Jerry I knew what I had left of life was pain with no escape except death. I wanted to shorten the pain part and get on with death.

There was a knock and a soft male voice called through the closed door. “Donna, Bridget, you ladies all right? Is someone hurt? Can I help?”

Donna reached over and pulled a handful of Kleenex out of her purse. “We’re fine Sam. Give us a minute to get ourselves together and we will be right out.”

She handed me the Kleenex. “Go in the bathroom and dry your eyes. Everything will be fine Bridget. I’ll hold Sam off for a few minutes. We will go out to Friars and enjoy the heck out of the night.”

“Thanks, Donna. I’ll try to have fun.” Wiping tears with the back of my hand, I started to head for the bathroom.

She took my arm and stopped me. “Bridget, there are no guarantees in life. Don’t try to have fun or it won’t work. Live it as it happens. Life will be fun only if it’s really enjoyable. You can’t fake it. Now, go dry your eyes and let’s party.”

I managed to dry my eyes and get my makeup straightened up before I walked out of the bathroom straight into... Sam who happen to be standing on the other side of the door. I wobbled and he wrapped both arms around me as he looked down.

“Whoa!” His eyes kept growing bigger as he held me.

I tilted my head back to look up at him. Without my heels he was at least a foot taller than me. Sam bent down and kissed me full on the mouth. Without thinking, I kissed him back as I wrapped my arms around his neck. Was it a reflex reaction on my part or his? Or was it mutual consent? If there was any lingering doubt about who I was, it cleared up at that instant. I was Bridget Renee Tonue!

How long did the kiss last? A couple of lifetimes or only the briefest of seconds? I had no idea, but it was forever and ever as an emotional thrill ran through my heart and soul. Someone coughing brought me back to reality.

I looked over at Donna who had the corner of her mouth turned up in disgust. “If you two think you can find a stopping place, I’d like to go eat.”

Sam smiled from ear to ear as he winked at me. “I was having dessert before dinner.”

I blushed from the top of my head to my feet as I slid out of Sam’s arms to look for my heels. “Sorry.”

Sam walked over to Donna, wrapped an arm around her shoulder, leaned her back, and gave her a passionate kiss on the mouth before he let her back up. “Mmmmm, hard to tell which is better–the red candy or the black candy.”

It took me a few seconds before I realized he was referring to Donna and me by our hair color. “My guess is Casanova is sampling and we’d better lock up the store before he carries off the stock.”

Donna giggled. “You got that right. Watch him Bridget. He’s not called a smooth operator because he knows how to land planes without bouncing passengers all over the cabin.”

Sam opened the door, made an overstated bow, and an exaggerated sweep with his right arm. “Ladies, I believe we have a table reserved at Friars. If we want that table before they give it to someone else, I suggest we get going.”

Donna and Sam were right, the food was exquisite. As good as Tricks? I don’t know, but I savored every single bite. I don’t believe I ever danced as much in one evening as I did that night. It was a revelation in scents the different men carried with them as they held me in their arms. I guess I was too busy on the plane to pick up on all the different smells. Maybe that’s why we don’t get involved with life as we pass through from birth to death? We are too busy to stop and smell all the pleasures of life. I liked dancing with Sam most of all, but he had two women to share so more often than not I was being asked to dance by some stranger. The men wanted to dance slow dances, up close and personal. Most of them wanted to pull me in tight where those big puppies I carried on my chest were crushed against them. It may have been a turn on for the guys, but it worked just the opposite for me. The harder a guy tried to pull me up against him, the more I was turned off. I didn’t dance a second time with any of those guys. The men who held me gently and tenderly, making sure they didn’t brush up against me aggressively received a second dance if they asked.

Never in my life had I been on a double date where it was two girls and one guy, but it was fun even if Donna and I shared the same man. It was after two in the morning before Sam dropped Donna and me at the apartment. If I thought I was tired after that trans-country flight, I was sadly mistaken. Now I was tired, but it was a different tired. I was deliciously tired.

Sam kissed Donna goodnight before she walked in the apartment and closed the door behind her. I thought that was strange. Then Sam took me in his arms and laid a really sexy kiss on me before I responded. My emotional gates unlocked, and I went into orbit as I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in. My breasts were crushed against his chest. That sent what was left of my mind into oblivion. Feelings unknown until that moment in time surfaced and raced through my soul. Without a doubt, I was a woman in heat and in love. Not altogether positive which came first but it didn’t matter. Sam was lucky Donna was in the apartment, or I would have raped him right then and there.

I was panting as I pushed him back. “We have a flight tomorrow. I need some sleep.”

“Sure.” He pulled me in and kissed me again as he reached down and opened the door with his left hand.

That was my cue to leave while my rubber legs could still carry me. I broke off the kiss. “Thanks for the best evening of my life.”

“Mutual I assure you Bridget.” He turned and walked off as I watched through the door. My heart was racing faster than that jet we flew on.

Donna was already in a baby doll. She was hanging up her dress. “Sam is a sweetie. You couldn’t do any better.”

“It wasn’t a date Donna. We went to dinner and danced a few times. I’m not going to steal your boyfriend. I don’t think I could if I wanted. He likes you a lot. You and he seem to get along perfectly.” I unzipped my dress and slipped out of it before reaching for a hanger.

Donna slid under the covers before she answered. “Bridget, the reason Sam and I get along so well is he is like a brother. Of course he loves me. Just like a brother would. I love him the same way. I can’t possibly dream up any concept where I would marry him. It would be too freaky. One doesn’t marry her brother.”

Sitting down on the edge of my bed, I slipped off my heels and pantyhose. “You sure didn’t kiss like brother and sister. You can’t tell me that was a brother-sister lip lock he laid on you.”

She giggled as she looked at me. “Sam did that for your benefit hon. He only kisses me with a peck on the cheek. He figured if he and I kissed, you might not want to slap his face if he took liberties with your affections also. Now let me get to sleep. My flight leaves at six. Yours and Sam’s flight leaves at noon. I’ll leave the alarm set for ten so you will have time to get ready and make the airport.”

“I thought we were going back on the same flight? Who are you flying with?” I couldn’t believe our schedules didn’t match going back.

“I’m flying with the ugly boys Cal and Eddie. Lenna and I have the first class section. Judy, Wanda, and Betty have passenger. Now, stop talking so I can get a few hours.” She pulled the covers up over her head.

The buzzing finally brought me up out of a deep sleep. Bless Donna’s malicious heart, she had set the alarm over on the table where I would have to get out of bed to shut it off. I made the shower and slipped into a fresh uniform. It took me awhile, but I managed to get my face put together. I missed Donna’s help. I didn’t bother making my bed since Donna had left hers in a mess. I picked up the room in case this apartment didn’t have maid service between flights. A short courtesy van ride and I was dragging luggage through another airport and asking directions to the Atlantic terminal.

Sherry and Sam were behind the desk as I walked up to the boarding ramp. He smiled and winked with his right eye. “Thought you might have decided to pass on this flight after last night.”

Sherry had been looking at the manifest and hadn’t seen me coming. Her head snapped up to see who or what Sam had been talking about. Her eyes widened two sizes as she swept from my face down to my breasts. She blinked a couple of times before she focused on my nametag. “You’re late Bridget.”

“Yes ma’am.” From past experience, I knew most of the flight attendants showed up an hour before the flight to organize the kitchens and to give managers time to make substitutions in case someone didn’t show. Taking off at noon, this flight wouldn’t be serving meals. I hadn’t really thought about what time I should have arrived before takeoff.

Sam reached down and took my suitcase and carry on. “No problem Sherry. I clocked her in an hour ago.”

“Certainly sir.” Sherry studied me with renewed interest.

I followed Sam onto the plane before I caught up with him in the galley. “It isn’t that I don’t appreciate the help, but I would rather play by the same rules everyone else has to abide by.”

Sam set my suitcase down on the cabinet and took out a pair of pumps with a two-inch heel. “Donna said you would be wearing stilts when you arrived. She also said to make sure you had sensible heels before takeoff.”

I looked down at my pumps with the five-inch heel. I hadn’t given it any thought when I dressed this morning. Donna really was my guardian angel. I traded shoes with the ones he was holding in his hand. “Thanks and don’t change the subject. I’m not looking for favors. It causes hate and discontent among the crew when one is favored over another as infractions are covered up and forgiven.”

Laugh lines formed around Sam’s eyes as he looked at me. “You really are something Bridget. Okay, it won’t happen again. I promise when you are late they will put it in your folder. Too many infractions and you won’t be able to fly with anyone but me.”

“What do you mean? Why only you and not fired?”

He was chuckling as he picked up the manifest and handed it to me. “You have passengers boarding. It’s time to go to work. Make them feel like you are personally pleased they are flying on ‘your plane’.”

I could hear footsteps coming down the boarding ramp. I took the passenger list from Sam and put on my coffee, tea, or me smile. “Aye, aye, Captain.”

We soon had the passengers loaded and our pre-takeoff routine done. It seemed like only minutes and we were in the air climbing for blue sky. I was wishing it was me up there talking to the tower and making the small adjustments to the flight path as we climbed out over the clouds. There was little time for woolgathering as we now had to make our passengers feel like they were flying with Hooters in the Sky. Cindy was the girl working up front with me. She wasn’t seriously endowed like I was, but she did have curves. It didn’t take long for me to put my hair up in a ponytail to keep from fighting with it as I bent over seats to serve drinks and help with pillows or magazines. There were a million other things our passengers could think of to keep me reaching as they looked down between my breasts. It was funny, I really didn’t mind. If that was what turned them on then more power to them. Men have such weak little minds.

I kept Sam and Darrel–our pilot and co-pilot–supplied with hot coffee. Jeff, our flight engineer, was also on my keep happy list. Darrel and Jeff teased Sam every time I walked into the cockpit about me being his newest girlfriend. Then they would tease me for a date.

“Bridget, if you can stand our Captain, I know you will like me. I’m better looking, I have more money, and I treat my dates like a lady wants to be treated,” Darrel teased for the umpteenth time, as I replaced his coffee with a hot cup.

Darrel was a handsome cuss, but I didn’t tell him that. “Ask me again in a few days Darrel. I won’t have so much on my agenda.”

Really, I had no idea what my agenda was, but I didn’t want to get in a date I couldn’t keep.

Jeff wasn’t to be left out. “Bridget, forget those two losers. They are the bottom of the barrel. Ask any of the other girls who have been on one of their miserable dates. If you ask them about me, they will tell you I always treat a lady to a good time.”

Laughing, I shook my head. “Jeff, I’m looking forward to our good times, but not for awhile. I really do have a lot of things I need to straighten out first.”

That caused a good-natured argument among them about who was the best date. It was all done in good taste, and the men were gentlemen about it.

I didn’t say no to an offer from any of them. I just didn’t lock myself into a time.

I was doubly glad when we touched down and I said my last, “Thank you for flying Atlantic, hope you enjoyed your flight, please come again.” For the second day, it wasn’t my feet, but my legs were killing me. Cindy and I didn’t serve meals, but it was worse than the day before. Without a meal to entertain their weak little minds, those men wanted me wiggling my ass up and down the aisle for entertainment. So, wiggle I did for a very small paycheck. There had to be a better way to make a living. I was going to have varicose veins in my legs before I reached...? I had no idea how old I was. Okay, before I aged another six years or whatever.

Like the flight yesterday, I had a couple of dozen business cards in my purse from men who wanted a date. I also had four in there from guys who offered instant marriage. I guess my coffee, tea, or me smile was working.

Before Jeff and Darrel stepped off the plane, they made me promise I was going on a date with them some time in the future. Before she left, Sherry made it a point to tell me I was supposed to be at the plane an hour before boarding, or I was late. Cindy, Wanda, and Darla were only seconds behind Sherry.

Sam came out of the cockpit carrying a suitcase and a clothes bag. “Still here?”

I picked up my overnighter and pulled the handle out on my suitcase. “Not for long.”

Sam escorted me out to the sidewalk where he hailed a cab. After the cab pulled up to the curb, Sam loaded my suitcases in the front with the driver and put something in the driver’s hand. He turned back to where I was standing. Before I could get in the cab he took me in his arms. “Would you mind if I kissed you again?”

“No.” I think I wanted that kiss more than he did. I wrapped my arms around his neck and laid my heart and soul on him with a kiss. He hesitated and then he pulled me in as he returned the passion, crushing my breasts against his chest. My heart, my mind, my emotions went into orbit.

Sam’s eyes were seriously studying me after I let him back up for air. “I would definitely call that a kiss.”

Opening the door to the cab, I slid in without answering him. First, I didn’t have an answer. Second, I was emotionally unstable at the moment. I needed to put some time and space between us as my body wanted to stay in his arms.

The driver pulled away from the curb as I shut the door. I was in a fog as I tried to sort out my feelings. What was I doing? I accepted Bridget as an escape from Jerry’s death spiral. What came with the package? Was I a whore and going to jump in bed with everything wearing pants? No, because I didn’t want to jump in bed with Cal or Eddie or a couple hundred other men who tried to put the make on me in the past few days. Okay, so at least I wasn’t a nymphomaniac. Because I had been a programmer, I ran though my head cause and effect a couple of dozen times before the cab stopped.

“We are here at your apartment Bridget.” The cab driver was getting my bags out of his cab by the time I collected my thoughts and looked at where we had stopped.

I slid out of the rear seat and was opening my purse when he held up his hand. “Sam paid for the fare Miss Tonue.”

Only then did I look at the driver’s face as I had been deep in thought until that moment. “Kemel, what a small world. Let me give you a tip.”

“Sam took care of that too Miss Tonue.” He slid behind the wheel and was pulling out into the street almost before it was out of his mouth.

I waved at the gargoyles before I picked up my bags.

“It’s that girl again. Don’t answer her and don’t look.” Grimcost was talking out of the side of his mouth as he held real still.

Garmon looked down. “I told you she was gonna be trouble.”

Grimcost felt like pushing his friend off the ledge. “Do you think you could be a little more obvious? Why don’t you hang a camera up here and sell home movies? Mr. Logan isn’t going to like this.”

“She knows, so what’s the big secret? I’m telling you, she’s trouble with a capital T.” Garmon was watching the girl gather up her suitcases.

Grimcost decided his friend was right. The girl most definitely knew. He looked down as she walked into the building. “She’s a beautiful lady. Morgan done right by her.”

Deity Arms Separator

Mr. Logan was talking to Horace as I walked in the door. He turned to look. “Welcome ba...”

I dropped my suitcases and ran up to Mr. Logan wrapping my arms around him. I laid my head up against his chest. “I’m Bridget, aren’t I Mr. Logan?”

Hesitantly, slowly, he put his arms around me and held me tenderly as a father would. “Yes dear, you are most definitely Bridget.” He was talking to the top of my head.

Tears of happiness leaked out of the corners of my eyes. “Thanks Mr. Logan.”

I stood up on tiptoes and kissed him on the left cheek as I cried. “Thanks for everything.”

He reached up to my cheek with his right hand and caught some of my tears on his fingers. Tears are raw emotion boiled down to solid form. They could be emotions of happiness or emotions of despair. “Bridget, I...”

Backing out of his arms, I gathered up my suitcases and headed for the elevator without looking at him or Horace. I wanted to tell my friends I was me if I could get them to come to the window.

Horace watched as the elevator doors closed behind Bridget. “She hasn’t settled down one bit. I thought Donna was going to tell her she wasn’t dreaming any longer.”

Mr. Logan shook his head. “She knows, my old friend. Donna said Bridget figured it out the first evening. Rarely do we get one so willing to give up one life for another. She is most definitely a breath of freshness.”

Horace was laughing as he looked over at his friend. “Wipe her freshness off your cheek.”

Mr. Logan laughed as he reached up with his left hand and wiped his left cheek where Bridget had applied her affections for the second time. “If this keeps up, we will have to go back to carrying handkerchiefs like we did in the thirties and forties.”

Horace nodded. “I think we are going soft. I like it.”

Slapping Horace on the back, Mr. Logan nodded in agreement. “Most definitely.”

Mr. Logan held his hand over the desk and dropped the two tears he had wiped from Bridget’s cheek. They fell to the desk making no sound. Glistening like stars in the night, they held their form. “I think I may frame them. Lest we forget in centuries to come, we can look at them and be reminded of Bridget.”

Horace pushed one of them with his finger. It flashed and sparkled as it rolled across the desktop. “How could we ever forget?”

Deity Arms Separator

In my apartment I ran over to the window and slid the blinds up. There were two gargoyles on my ledge looking in. I raised the window, grabbed the one on the right by his head and planted a big kiss on the end of his nose. “I’M BRIDGET!”

“Whuhhhhhh!” He backpedaled and fell off the ledge.

I tried to grab him to stop his fall. I was too late. I knew he had fallen to his death like Jerry had planned on doing. Seconds later, he circled up and back over the top of the building.

By this time, the second one decided it was useless to try and make like a stone statue. He started to back off the ledge. I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and held on. “Oh no you don’t. You aren’t getting away that easy. You are going to stay here and listen to my story whether you like it or not.”

He bared his fangs and growled at me. “Grrrrrrrrr.”

I leaned up and kissed him on the nose. “Don’t you dare bark at me, you ruffian.”

His eyes were blinking and he stopped trying to pull away.

“Now that I have your undivided attention, I want to tell you my story. Come back up here before we both fall. It’s a long story and I don’t want to tell it while I’m leaning out the window.” I turned him loose, hoping he wouldn’t run as I backed up from the window.

He thought about it for a second, before he stepped up and put his head inside the apartment.

“That’s more like it. Okay, where do I start? Jerry was born in Utah, in a little suburb outside Salt Lake City. He was the only child of a moderately well-to-do family. They...”

The gargoyle lay down on the ledge and crossed his front paws, as he listened attentively to my story.

Grim had flown back over the roof to land behind Grimcost. He was spitting and sputtering. “Patooie, cough cough.”

Grimcost looked over his shoulder. “What is your problem?”

“That stupid girl kissed me.” Grim was wiping his nose with both front paws.

“WHAT? You mean Little Miss Troubles?” Grimcost turned around to look.

“Who else but? Germs, human diseases, yuck, patooie.” Grim spit on his paws and wiped his nose again.

“What about Gorm? What happened to him?” Garmon had joined in the conversation.

“I think he’s still over there talking to her.” Grim wiped his nose on the roof.

“You’re kidding! This I have to see!” Garmon took to the air before Grim could stop him.

“Hey, wait for me.” Grimcost was right behind.

“They will be sorry.” Grim watched as they dipped down below the roofline.

Two more gargoyles landed on my window ledge as I was talking. “Well, hello there.”

I reached up and scratched the one on my right behind the ears. “Glad you could join us.”

The other newcomer received a pat on the head. I recognized them as the ones who stood guard over the front of the building. “Where were we? Well, by this time I was in the second grade and...”

Grim kept waiting for his friends to return. Finally, he walked across the roof to where he could look down where the three gargoyles were lying on the ledge listening to the girl. She had a pleasing voice and soon he was listening also.

Mr. Logan and Luk were watching from the other side of the room as Bridget talked to the gargoyles. She put her hands behind her legs and held her skirt as she folded her legs and settled down on the carpet by the window.

Luk cocked his head as he watched and listened. “She bewitched them. What power does she possess to capture them so?”

As a smile crept across his face, Mr. Logan closed his eyes and took a deep breath before answering. “The same power she has over all of us. Honesty, curiosity, unselfish love, the eyes of a child seeing everything for the first time.”

Her melodious voice was pleasing to the ears, soothing to the mind, and made one want to listen when she spoke but he had work to do. Mr. Logan left Luk in the room as he reluctantly returned to business. He was wondering who had bewitched whom? Each lifeshift was different, some good, some bad. Everyone accepted it in a different way. Bridget was so unusual in the way she embraced her lifeshift. She was the one in a billion odds. Morgan had done right by choosing her.

Deity Arms Separator

“Girl, are you going to sleep your life away?” She was shaking the bed to keep me from going back to sleep.

“I’m trying if everyone would leave me alone. We flying again?” I opened my eyes and was looking at the Leprechaun I had last seen in Los Angeles.

“You got it. No rest for the wicked. Now shake a leg and let’s get our show on the road.” She was pulling clothes out of the closet and packing my suitcase again.

I sighed as I rolled out of bed, pushed my hair out of my face, and looked out the window for my friends. Of course they were gone. They had a job to do same as me. They had to guard the building as gargoyles during the day. “Uh, Donna, if I remember Morgan said she would be back today. I need to make arrangements with Mr. Logan or go find another apartment someplace else.”

“Change of plans Bridget. Morgan set up a fashion show in San Francisco. Our plane is headed to Los Angeles. We wiggle our little tails for the guys on the way out and you will catch a commuter up to San Francisco to work with Morgan.”

She had my suitcase packed as she looked up. “Why are you still here? Hustle girl. We are late as usual, and should be at the plane by now.”

I was headed for the shower before I thought about it. “We do have a full complement on this flight don’t we? If any stewardesses are missing, then I am going to be one of those also.”

Laughing, she pointed toward the bathroom. “Go! I had my fill that last trip too. That plane isn’t getting off the ground with me on it if everyone isn’t there.”

Moments later, I was headed out the door behind Donna when I noticed something wasn’t right. It took me a second, but the wedding dress in the corner was missing. I caught up with Donna in the elevator. “Someone has been in Morgan’s apartment and took the wedding dress. I need to let Horace know we have a thief in the building. On my salary, I’ll be paying on that original for years.”

“The dress is in the San Francisco part of the show.” Donna stepped off the elevator at the ground floor.

“Morning ladies. Miss James, you look lovely this morning. Miss Tonue, as do you.” Horace was picking up Donna’s suitcases as he spoke.

“Thank you Horace. Cab here?” Donna was following Horace out the door.

Horace was loading up suitcases in the trunk as I stepped out on the sidewalk. It was a beautiful morning for sure. I could smell the doughnuts in the little pastry shoppe down the block. Trick was cooking breakfast across the street. I turned and waved at the gargoyles up on the parapet.

Garmon raised his right front paw in response before Grimcost admonished him. “What do you think you are doing? What if someone sees you?”

Garmon looked up and down the street. “No one is looking. Besides, I like her.”

Grimcost checked to see if anyone was looking. The coast was clear. He raised his right front paw to wave back to Bridget just as Donna and Horace looked up to see who Bridget was waving at.

Grimcost and Garmon got stone cold still as they tried to look like the gargoyles they were.

Grimcost whispered out of the side of his mouth. “Oh shit! We are in deep doo doo now.”

Garmon looked down without moving his head. He whispered back. “I knew that girl was trouble.”

Horace tried not to, but the harder he tried to hold it in, the worse it became until it was no longer possible to contain. He burst out laughing as he ducked his head and shook it. The idea the gargoyles had waved back at Bridget was funny. The idea they tried to conceal it like little kids caught in the cookie jar was hilarious.

Donna wasn’t going to either but when Horace lost it she had no choice. She started laughing. She closed her eyes so she wouldn’t have to look at Horace. It didn’t help. It was so funny she fell into the back seat holding her head and her side.

I was looking around to see what the joke was and why I didn’t see it?

Kemel was trying to tell Bridget it was time to go but, he couldn’t talk. Every time he opened his mouth to say something he would laugh. He walked around to the driver’s seat as his shoulders shook while he tried to contain the laughter.

I climbed into the cab still wondering what was so funny.

As we pulled away, I looked back at Horace who had one arm up against the building, the other holding his side as he laughed.

Donna finally managed to get herself under control. She sat up in the seat wiping tears out of her eyes. She had her mouth all screwed up trying to not giggle. She did real well until she looked at Bridget who was looking back with a puzzled look on her face. That was Donna’s undoing. She lost it again as she leaned back in the seat and positively howled with laughter.

Horace managed to walk back into the building as he wiped tears out of his eyes. Mr. Logan walked out of his office. “What’s so funny?”

Horace shook his head a couple times while he tried to find his voice. He pointed up in the air. “Your pets. Bridget has ruined them. She waved at them and they waved back. They tried to act like they didn’t do it when Donna and I looked up.”

“I’ll look into this.” Mr. Logan didn’t appear pleased.

“You can’t blame Garmon and the others. They aren’t able to handle her spell any better than the rest of us. It’s no different than what she’s done to us all.” Horace wiped the last of the laugh tears off his cheeks.

Mr. Logan sighed and nodded. “You’re right. She’s bewitched us all. I’ll restrict them to the hidden part of the roof until she leaves us.”

Horace’s smile turned into a frown. “She will leave, won’t she?”

Mr. Logan looked out the front door. “Yes, it’s the way it has to be. She will find her place in the world again. She will leave.”

Horace found his chair behind the security desk. “The thought pains me. She is one of the best we have had.”

Mr. Logan turned to his friend. “Enjoy the time she shares with us. There will be others.”

“Yes, but only one Bridget. Only one.” Horace looked wistfully out the front door.

Deity Arms Separator

I paid Kemel for the cab fare as we unloaded our suitcases at the airport. My hundred dollar bill was now forty six dollars and eleven cents. If it was the customary two weeks after starting work before I received my first paycheck, I was going to be begging on the streets for money. It wasn’t a funny situation. In spite of my mental distractions I managed to keep up with Donna on the way through the terminal. Despite some real rude comments by a few men, Donna and I managed to keep our coffee, tea, or me, smiles intact as we threaded our way through to the Atlantic terminal.

Cindy was checking traffic at the boarding tunnel. She looked up as Donna and I approached. “Miss James, Miss Tonue, you are late ladies.”

It seemed I was going to be habitually late for every flight. It wouldn’t take long for me to get fired as my personnel file filled up with tardy slips. I was thinking I’d better find my schedule and start taking care of getting myself to the airport, or I really was going to be serving coffee in some café. I was also dragging Donna into my life and making her late because she had to come and get me for my flights. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Who’s riding coach?” Donna stepped up beside Cindy to check the duty roster for the flight.

Cindy flipped over a sheet and pointed. “Karen, Brenda, and myself. You and Bridget are in the first class section.”

“K.” Donna ducked into the boarding tunnel.

I followed her on. “Donna, I can work coach if one of the other girls wants to work first class.”

Donna dropped an overhead and was putting her suitcase and overnighter away. “Hand me your bags.”

Picking my suitcase up, I shoved it in beside Donna’s. The overnighter followed. “Thanks.”

She walked into the galley and was putting equipment in its place. “Bridget, every girl in this company will rotate coach and first class.”

She stopped and turned to look at me. “Except one. Look in the mirror hon. Atlantic isn’t called Sky Hooters because it has men serving meals and drinks. Every flight you have been on, the men have been dragging their tongues when they leave the plane. You want to know what the number one question has become as the passengers buy their tickets?”

“Well, yes, they want to know if it’s going to be on time.” That was the question everyone always asked me as they climbed on our little commuter out of Salt Lake.

“No doll, they really don’t care if it ever arrives if Bridget is serving. The number one question the past few days has been, is Bridget on this plane? The question that immediately follows is she in coach or first class? Men are changing their tickets from coach to first class. If you think the brass hasn’t noticed you are mistaken.”

Donna pointed back down the boarding tunnel. “Cindy will file a late slip. It will never make your personnel jacket. The brass will round-file it as it crosses their desk. With the passengers changing their tickets and the extra money it brings in, the brass is going to make sure no complaints are put in your file.”

“But I’m no different than any of the other girls.” I couldn’t believe what Donna was saying.

“Oh? Name one other flight attendant with a forty-four, um, what, twenty-one, thirty-six, or thirty-eight measurements. If that wasn’t enough, you don’t mind wearing heels and flirting with the passengers.”

Someone behind me wrapped their arms around me and nuzzled in my ear before I could protest.

“And she feels good, too.”

I recognized the voice. “Hello Captain. You flying this bird today?”

“I sure am. What’s on the breakfast menu? I didn’t get a chance to eat.” Sam released me as he stepped up beside me.

I started to pick up our manifest to see what our flight menu would have on it. “I haven’t looked yet. Let me check. You want it now or after liftoff?”

“Now would be great.” Sam took me in his arms and planted a big one on me.

I started to pull back and then thought why not? I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in as I returned the kiss. It was a mistake. I felt my heart race into my throat as electricity filled the air.

There was a cough behind Sam. “When you two think you can disengage, we might think about getting organized in the galley before liftoff.”

Sam had a twinkle in his eyes as he turned me loose and backed up. “Nag, nag, you would think she owns this company. By the way, dessert was great. I’ll have a sweet roll and coffee for breakfast after we are off the ground.”

Donna sighed. “Thanks for giving the crew an official welcome aboard Captain. Did she pass inspection?”

“Put a cork in it Donna. Jealousy doesn’t become you.” Sam turned and gave Donna a kiss on the cheek.

“Yes my Captain. Now get out of the slaves’ quarters before I Shanghai you and make you take my place.”

Sam was moving toward the cockpit. “I’m going, I’m going. Mutiny already and we haven’t even left the dock yet.”

I could hear footsteps coming down the boarding ramp. My nerves were still strung tighter than a high wire act. Picking up the passenger manifest, I glanced over at Donna. “I won’t steal him from you.”

Donna shook her head as she snickered. “Bridget, he’s not mine to steal. Go get him if you feel like it.”

It was back to business as I put on my smile and met our first passengers. Donna was standing to the side ready to lead them to their seats if they had trouble finding their way.

It was an easy flight out to Los Angeles. Our breakfast run was bagels, sweet rolls, and doughnuts. Donna and I were kept hopping. I finally figured it out. Our customers wanted to see Donna or me wiggle our little tails up and down the aisle. As soon as we sit down, someone would buzz for magazines, coffee, movies, music, pillow, blanket, or whatever crossed their feeble little minds. I guess that old airline hostess saying, ‘coffee, tea, or me’ really wasn’t that far off the mark.

After the last passenger deplaned in Los Angeles, Donna sat down and slipped off her heels. She leaned over and was rubbing her feet. “I’m going to find that jerk who thought stewardesses were supposed to wear skimpy little uniforms along with heels and turn him into a toad.”

I laughed. My legs weren’t nearly as sore as before. Although my feet were tired, they weren’t killing me like Donna’s obviously were. “A toad isn’t enough punishment for making us go through this.”

Donna’s emerald green eyes were sparkling as she looked up at me. “No, you’re right. I’ll turn him into a bitch in heat.”

“Worked for me,” I mouthed out of the side of my mouth as Sam, Jeff, and Larry came out of the cockpit.

“What worked for you?” Sam glanced over at Donna and then back at me as he moved up beside me and put his arm around my waist.

“None of your cotton-picking business.” I figured if I told anyone what I thought had happened in the past few days, I would be sent off to the mental ward so fast it wouldn’t be funny.

“We going out tonight? I know of a great little place called Lupe. Darn good Mexican food and of course they have American too.” Sam was eyeing me, waiting for an answer.

“Bridget is headed for San Francisco in a few minutes,” Donna injected, before I could answer.

“Okay, passing through.” Jeff motioned Sam and me out of the way as he and Larry stepped off the plane.

“What’s in San Francisco? Atlantic starting a route there?” Sam turned to look at Donna.

“Bridget is hosting a fashion show there. Atlantic isn’t her only job. She’s a model for Guys and Dolls Magazine along with several other rags.” Donna pointed up toward the overhead. “Be a gentleman and pull our suitcases out for us would you please?”

“Sure.” Sam reached up and casually moved the suitcases and overnighters to the floor. “What you doing tonight Donna? Lupe is a great place to eat. They even have a Mexican band.”

“Oh? If Bridget is busy then you’ll settle for me?” She turned her head so Sam couldn’t see and winked at me.

“That’s not the way I meant. It was an open invitation to both of you. You game or you going to act like a snotty little sister?” He picked up his suitcase as he waited for an answer.

“Whose turn is it to buy?” Donna pulled her nurse’s shoes out of her overnighter and slipped them on before putting her heels in the suitcase.

“If I remember rightly, I bought last time. So who do you think should pay?” Sam was waiting on Donna.

Donna motioned for me to follow. “Come on Bridget, I’ll point you to your next plane. Uh, is that a trick question Sam? I mean, if we go by salary then you should pay for eight meals for every one I have to buy.”

Sam was laughing as he followed Donna and me off the plane. “Nice try Donna, but that stinks like week old fish.”

Donna led me down the concourse for what seemed like a mile as she and Sam bantered back and forth whose turn it was to buy dinner. Finally, she pointed off toward a boarding ramp. “Alaska Airways to San Francisco.”

She pulled a ticket out of her purse. “Fare trade ticket Bridget. You get to relax on this flight and let them wait on you.”

She leaned up and gave me a kiss on the cheek as she pressed the ticket in my hand. “Keep your cool doll. I’ll see you in two days.”

I was wondering what there was about that fashion show I had to do to keep my cool? I returned the peck on the cheek. “Thanks Donna, you’re my guardian angel.”

Sam was feeling through his pockets. “Two days? That better be my flight. Where’s that schedule? Morning or afternoon flight? Donna, what flight?”

Donna was shaking her head as she turned and was walking back down the concourse. “Come on Romeo. Bridget is a big girl. She can handle a flight without you.”

Sam leaned down and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. “Better be my bird!”

He turned and was trotting to catch up with Donna. “WHAT FLIGHT!”

Okay Bridget, you are on your own and you have a plane to catch. I sighed as I walked up to the desk by the boarding ramp. I handed the ticket to a lady named Janet.

She never looked at the ticket as her eyes scanned my uniform and me. “So you’re Bridget. Welcome aboard Alaska Air Miss Tonue. You have first seat. Please make yourself at home on the flight. If you want to visit with the crew, then you are most welcome.”

“Thanks Janet, my legs are tired. We just arrived from New York and I walked all the way. I may sit this one out.”

Janet handed me my ticket as she marked ‘arrived’ on the passenger manifest by my name. “Of course. I know the feeling. We are on time. Liftoff in ten minutes. You were the last one.”

She followed me onto the boarding tunnel and closed the door behind us. Sherrie and Donald met us as we stepped on the plane. Sherrie held out her hand for the boarding pass. “Welcome aboard Miss Tonue.”

I heard a lot of mumbling spread throughout the plane as some of the people started pointing in my direction. I knew what they were looking at. I would have to be brain dead to not understand they were spreading the word it was one of Atlantic’s Hooters girls.

As Donald took my bags and put them up in the overhead, Sherrie pointed toward a seat beside the door. “Please make yourself comfortable.”

And I really did make myself comfortable. I sat down in that big ol’ chair, pulled my hair back up over my right shoulder, buckled my seatbelt, relaxed and immediately went to sleep. The next thing I knew, the tires were squealing as they touched down on the runway.

After the plane pulled up to the terminal, I gathered my bags as the boarding tunnel was docked to the plane. Janet popped the door. “Thank yo...”

I nodded as I stepped off the plane. “I know the speech well Janet. Thanks for the lift. Have a safe one.”

“You too Bridget.”

Deity Arms Separator

As I walked into the concourse I was trying to decide what now? I should have asked Donna more questions about what I was supposed to do after I arrived in San Francisco. I don’t know how many people got whiplash as I made my way toward the front. There were more than the average number. I guess Los Angeles and New York had seen enough Atlantic Airlines girls we didn’t create that much of a shock to the system. A lot of it had to do with the uniform. If a Dallas Cheerleader had walked through the terminal wearing her uniform, I imagine it would be about the same result. Atlantic’s girls dressed the same provocative way.

Someone grabbed the handle to my suitcase. I was ready to deck them as I turned my head and saw a big smile. It was the guy who had been with Morgan that day I saw her.

“I’m Mike, Miss Tonue. Welcome to San Francisco. I have a car and driver out front. Please let me carry your other bag too.” He held out his hand for my overnighter.

“Thank you, it was getting heavy.” As I handed Mike my bags, I checked him out. About six foot four, he was slightly built. I would guess him at one eighty to a hundred and ninety pounds. Blonde hair, unusual for a man, and no rugged masculine features. I guess one would call him unassuming if I had to put a name to it. As much as I stood out in a crowd, Mike would blend in.

He led me out to a white limousine parked by the curb. Mike opened the door for me and then put my bags in the trunk. He slid in and the driver pulled out into traffic leaving the airport. “Did you have a good flight?”

“The flight from New York was busy as usual, but I slept all the way from Los Angeles.” I was watching all the familiar sights I had seen a hundred times before when I was flying in and out from Salt Lake. Jerry spent a lot of time in San Francisco.

“That’s good. We will make the hotel where you can freshen up. I’ll give you an hour and pick you up. Then you have an appointment with the makeup people. We will go to the Del Casi Ballroom for a dry run through the fashion show. You are the MC for most of it. Morgan will take over for the finale. Any questions?” Mike picked up the car phone and was pushing numbers.

He held up his hand when I started to speak. “A minute please. Yes, we picked her up. We are headed toward the hotel now… Okay... Okay... Got it... No, we will be there on time.”

“May I have your purse?” He hung up the phone and was reaching inside his jacket.

I thought about it for a second. Well, it wasn’t really mine. It was Morgan’s because nothing was really mine. “Sure.”

He opened up the purse and took out the wallet. He put some money in it along with several credit cards and identification cards. “Morgan said you needed a little money. You were down to... forty six dollars and eleven cents.”

“How...?” Look in the mirror Bridget. And I was about to ask how did she know. Duhhh.

“Thank you. I don’t know how I’ll ever be able to pay her back.” I looked into his blue eyes and then turned to look out the window. I almost started crying. Money doesn’t pay back a life. I would never be able to pay them back.

Mike reached over and took my chin in his fingers turning my head so I had to look at him. That was my undoing. Tears started trickling down my cheeks.

“Don’t cry Bridget. Morgan didn’t do it for the money. After tonight, your debt will have been paid in full.”

The first thing that sprang into my mind was, they were going to kill me. That scared the living daylights out of me. As much as Jerry wanted to die, Bridget wanted to live. It scared me badly enough that it stopped the tears. How much longer did I have to live? A couple of hours? Were they going to use me in one of those death shows where they really kill the actor or actress? So that was what Jerry was saved for? Of course it would be a lot better for ratings thrills if Bridget was killed rather than a guy who was ready to die.

I couldn’t say another word. Every time I looked at Mike, my heart started thumping like a runaway train. I was a dead person, for I was sure there was no escape. Certainly not from who or what could do this to me.

The limo pulled up to the Regency Towers. Mike slid out and took my suitcases from the trunk. I finally managed to get out and was standing beside the car. He put the suitcases under one arm and reached out his left hand. “Let’s go check you in, so you can get ready.”

I was shaking like a leaf as I put my right hand in his open one. Mike turned to look at me with a puzzled look in his eyes. “Bridget, you okay?”

Speech was beyond me. I nodded my head and let him lead me to the front desk.

“Bridget Tonue checking in. Room key please.” Mike held out his hand as he talked to the girl on the other side.

“Certainly. Miss Tonue is in room two fourteen.” She dropped one of those magnetic keys in Mike’s hand.

Mike led me to the elevators and then walked me to my room. He opened the door and followed me inside, sitting the suitcases on the bed. “Wear the blue dress after you freshen up.”

He looked at his watch. “You have an hour. Are you sure you are okay? You catch a bug or something? You look kind of pale. You want me to send up a doctor, or pick up some aspirin for you?”

I shook my head. Funny, they were going to make sure I was healthy before they killed me. Aspirin? Sure, about nine or ten bottles so I wouldn’t feel it coming. Send up a gallon of Jim Beam while you’re at it. I’ll flush the aspirin with lots of whiskey.

“Okay then. I will be back in an hour.”

GO DAMN IT! I DON’T NEED TO BE REMINDED A DOZEN TIMES YOU WILL BE BACK TO TAKE ME OFF TO DIE! I wanted to scream at him, but my voice wasn’t working.

Mike closed the door on his way out. I fell onto the bed crying my heart out. I wanted to live! Please God let me live! I would have gladly given them Jerry, but not now. Not Bridget! It was almost thirty minutes of crying remorsefully when I finally decided there was nothing I could do to stop them. I was a sacrificial lamb for the altar. Jerry made a pact with Morgan. He gave her his life and she accepted. Now it was time to fulfill the bargain Jerry had made. I pushed myself up off the bed and slid my heels and skirt off for the last time. My jacket and blouse were next. Walking into the bathroom, I started the bath and wondered if I could short circuit their plans by drowning myself. No... Jerry might have had the courage, but Bridget didn’t. I dropped my panties and bra, wrapped my hair up in a towel, and stepped into the bathtub.

Twenty minutes later, I knew I was running late as I dried off and walked back into the bedroom to pick up my makeup out of my overnighter. It was funny as I thought about it. What could they do to me for being late, kill me? Ha! I was headed that way already. I was wondering if Donna knew about this. She seemed so sincere when she told me she would see me in two days.

I managed to get my face presentable and put on my panties when there was a knock on the door. I walked over and opened it. Mike was standing there, and his eyes kept growing as they darted from my face down to my naked breasts and back to my face. “Uh, I mean... do you want me to wait outside?”

“No need. I’ll slip into the dress and heels. It will only take a sec. Come on in.” I turned and walked back across the room to the closet where the powder blue dress was hanging. A long evening gown, it had sequins and beads in swirls across the bust, diagonally down the front from left to right where it splashed out in sequined and beaded flowers on the right hip. It was no doubt designed to maximize my measurements as the observer’s eyes were drawn from breasts to waist to hips.

Slipping it off the hanger I stepped into it and pulled it up over my hips. It was strapless with a bustier top. I held the top up with my left arm as I shook my hips and pushed with my right hand to get it to settle in place. Turning my back to Mike, I pulled my hair over my shoulder out of the way. “Zip me up please.”

Mike stepped over and zipped me up and then put his hands on my shoulders. “Bridget, what’s wrong?”

I couldn’t deny everything was all right because it wasn’t. I know he could feel my shoulders trembling under his hands. “Mike, I don’t want to die.”

There, I said it. As hard as I tried not, I was crying again.

Gently he turned me around. He reached up with his right hand and gently wiped the tears running down my chin. “Die? Who has threatened you Bridget? You’re not going to die. Not if Morgan has anything to do with it. I imagine Mr. Logan would make sure there was hell to pay if anyone hurt you. Give me a name or tell me when it happened. No one can threaten you and get away with it.”

I was confused to say the least. “Morgan is killing me tonight.”

Mike looked astonished as he studied my face. “Morgan? Where did you get that idea? Morgan isn’t going to kill you. She thinks you are the best thing to come along in centuries. Where did you get the idea Morgan would kill you?”

“From you.” Why was he trying to deny it? Was it so I would go with him without causing a scene?

“From me? When? I never said any such thing. What were you drinking on that flight up here?” Mike’s eyes were blinking as he tried to fathom where Bridget had pulled all this up from.

“You said my debt with Morgan would be paid tonight.” Why was I having to repeat what he told me?

I was hurt and couldn’t believe it when he started laughing. “Paid in full doesn’t mean she is going to kill you. It means you will have fulfilled the contract and she will break the agreement. You do the fashion show for her and she will accept that as full payment.”

I was in shock. “That’s it?”

“Need there be more? Morgan doesn’t have a need for money or things of material value. She enjoys people. In Jerry, she saw something of value.” He was watching my eyes as he spoke.

“Jerry had nothing of value. He had lost everything. His life was over.”

“No, you’re wrong. Look in the mirror Bridget. There was gold in Jerry. A beautiful person who only needed a little help was dying to live.”

Slowly, I closed the distance and wrapped my arms around his neck as I laid my head up against his chest and cried. “Thanks Mike.”

He wrapped his arms around me and held me as I cried. “Thank Morgan, I had nothing to do with it.”

I finally managed to get my emotions under control to a limited extent. I backed up and looked for tissue. “I’m sorry, I think I ruined your jacket.”

He glanced down and brushed at the wet spot and the makeup I had wiped on his suit. “No problem. No harm done. I have another in the room. Get your shoes on, dry your eyes, and let’s go see about turning the world on its ear at a fashion show.”

“My makeup is messed up. Give me a minute to put myself back together.” I pulled a handful of Kleenex out of the holder as I slipped on my heels.

“No time. Dry your eyes. Let’s swing by my room for a change and see if LeAnn still has that limo waiting downstairs.” He opened the door behind him as he was speaking. “Donna said it was impossible to get you there on time. Let’s go Bridget. The makeup people will want to do it over anyway.”

I picked up my purse off the bed as I headed for the door. “This black purse doesn’t go with this dress.”

Mike crossed the room to the closet and lifted a bolero jacket off the hanger that matched the gown. He walked out behind me closing the door. “Bridget, I promise with the dress you are wearing no one is going to be looking at your purse.”

In the hall I stopped, put my hands on my hips, and turned around to look at Mike. “I look nice?”

“Nice? Damn it Bridget, you look... Let me put it this way. If there is any competition your equal, I have yet to see her.” He shook his head as he walked over to the next room and opened the door.

“Give me a minute.” He disappeared into the room.

I think he took a little longer but not much. He was back and had changed into a different suit. Mike held out the bolero jacket for me to slip into before he pushed the elevator button. He was looking at his watch before the elevator arrived. “Donna was right. She said it would take a miracle to get you there on time. We are late.”

He held out his hand. “I also agree with you. The purse clashes with your dress. Let me carry it for you.”

I was thinking it a strange request for a man as I handed him my shoulder purse. “Sure.”

As I watched, slipping the shoulder strap up on his shoulder was natural to Mike. He either carried a lot of camera equipment with straps or he was like me, having started life as something other than what he was now.

He held open the doors on the elevator after it reached our floor. “Let’s go see how many people came to a fashion show.”

The hem on the sequined dress wasn’t long enough to drag on the floor, so I didn’t have to hold it up. However it’s human nature to want to do something with the hands if they aren’t occupied. I hung onto the hem of my jacket as we walked out of the elevator, through the lobby, and to the limo.

We were headed across town as I did the best I could with my makeup. Riding along in a car isn’t the place to be sticking a sharp eyeliner in the eye and trying to define the eyes. Mike offered to help and I accepted. He was an expert and definitely had done this before as he rested the heel of his hand against my cheek and made up my eyes. I wanted to ask if he had been she, but didn’t. It wasn’t a question one asked another person.

It gave me pause to think as I remembered that first evening I met Morgan. “Mike, I think I remember Morgan saying her fashion show was going to be in Rio. Of course I was in kind of a mental meltdown. She could have said San Francisco.”

“She did say Rio. Morgan pulled in a lot of favors to get this San Francisco showing. Shi Kasonsu originally set up this show you are attending. He swapped with Morgan and is doing her show in Rio.” Never looking up, Mike opened up a laptop as he spoke.

“Why?” It was a non-question because I had no concept of what made a fashion show except what I read accidentally in some magazine. Commonsense told me they were a combination of long range planning, hard work, and intensive arm twisting to get the fashion show blurbed in all the right papers.

“Because Mr. Logan asked her to.”

“Again, why? What’s so special about San Francisco?” I was having a conversation with Mike about something I had no idea of, and the reasoning was out of my mind’s grasp. I should have let it drop. I was out of my depth.

Mike stopped typing and looked at me for a long time before he spoke. “Mr. Logan asked her to change to San Francisco because he likes you. He said you deserved to find out. Morgan disagreed, but she hasn’t been around you for the past two days like Mr. Logan and Horace have.”

I wanted to ask questions, but I didn’t know where to start. It was like waking up in the middle of a barroom brawl and not knowing who started the fight. The best move is to not move.

Mike looked out his window as he took a deep breath. “You will meet some people here tonight. Stay cool and don’t... Just don’t is all.”

“Who am I going to meet?” Finally some solid information I could relate to.

“You’ll know when you meet them. Mr. Logan must like you an awful lot. He put out a lot of effort to have these people found.” Mike turned his attention back to his computer.

“Who? Mike, tell me who.” It was to no avail. Mike had stopped answering questions.

LeAnn stopped the limo in front of a huge building. There were six or eight policemen inside a roped off corridor holding back a throng of people. Mike closed up his laptop. “Bridget, wait for me to open your door.”

Before Mike could maneuver himself into position, a young man opened my door. He held his hand out. “Please, allow me.”

As I turned in the seat I placed my left hand in his and stood up. It felt awkward but from a distance I guess it looked chivalrous. Mike stood up beside me, turned, and held out his arm. I arranged my hair before I slipped my left arm up in his as I gently rolled my right fingers into my skirt and slightly lifted. In my mind I was thinking, pomp and grace were more for show than for ease of doing something. I never knew ladies had it so difficult to look elegant. It wasn’t easy for sure.

Mike gave a slight nod. “Perfect Bridget. Shall we go in?”

“I think that’s why we came.” I knew it sounded like sarcasm as soon as it left my mouth.

He chuckled as he led me toward the building. “But of course.”

“Is that one of Morgan’s gowns?” came from the crowd as we walked toward the building.

“That’s Bridget Tonue. Miss Tonue could you please remove the coat?” Miss Tonue, please?”

Mike stopped. “They want pictures of you and Morgan’s gown. Let me hold your jacket while you give them what they want.”

They were taking pictures as I slipped out of the jacket and handed it to Mike. They wanted pictures of a dress? Who was wearing it was probably immaterial. I put my right hand on my hip as I rolled my hip out. I slid my left up under my hair behind my head and lifted á  la Marilyn Monroe pose. I was wishing I had put my makeup back together at the hotel but it was too late. Not too late for the prerequisite coffee, tea, or me smile though.

There was rash of clicks and a crash over to my right. Mike and I turned to look. A guy had dropped his camera but not his attention. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Mike leaned over and whispered in my ear, “I think you got his attention.”

Laughing, I winked at the man. “Honey, they work better if you don’t bounce them around on the ground.”

It was a mistake. The crowd turned into a mob as each one of the reporters tried to get personal attention. Photographers and reporters were screaming questions at me that I couldn’t hear. Mike put his arm around my waist and urged me toward the building as the police did their best to restrain the mob.

Morgan was waiting as Mike led me inside. She held out her hand. “You look absolutely stunning.”

I took her hand, leaned forward, and kissed her on the cheek. “With all my heart, thank you for my life.”

Morgan took a step back as she held my hand. She was looking into my eyes. “Logan said you were a surprise. You certainly are. You are released from the contract. You may leave now if you like. LeAnn will drive you back to the airport, no questions asked.”

“May I stay? Mike said I had a job as master of ceremonies for the event. I mean, if you will allow me that is.” There was no way I could repay Morgan for my life but I did want to stay. Mike told me Morgan changed shows for me and I was going to meet some people. Curiosity as to what the evening held probably was as big a reason for staying as my life debt to Morgan.

“You think I may change you back?” Morgan was wondering why I didn’t take her up on her offer to leave.

“God I hope not! Jerry isn’t going to prison for something he didn’t do. I’ll kill myself first.” It scared me that she might actually bring Jerry back.

“Hmm, I see. Let’s go through a practice run then if you are ready. Mike, take her to makeup and then meet me on stage.” Morgan took another look before she turned and walked off.

Mike put his arm around my waist and urged me for one of the hallways leading off the entrance. “Let’s see what makeup can do that I couldn’t, shall we?”

Wrapping my arm around his waist, I leaned into him as we walked. “Mike, what are Morgan and the others? Are they witches, or magicians, or aliens or what?”

“None of those Bridget. They are gods.”

That shocked me and I stopped short. “You’re kidding? You mean God?”

Turning me loose, Mike turned his head to look at me. “No, not The God. They are lesser deities. Morgan? She is Mahuru, the Polynesian goddess of spring. She is the fresh start to the season or life if you want to look at it in that respect.”

Holding out my right hand I took a look at the long slender fingers, the long sharp nails, and delicate hand. “Fresh start is one way of saying it. There is no way I can repay her for what she’s done for me. I don’t know if I would have picked this particular way to start over but it’s agreeable.”

Mike motioned with his left hand as he put his right arm around my waist again. “Do you think it will ever be possible to get you any place on time? Makeup is waiting.”

Walking along with Mike I had a million questions to ask. “Mr. Logan, Horace, and the rest of the tenants at Deity Arms are gods also?”

“No, not all of them.” Mike never hesitated.

“Is Donna a god?”

“No.”

“A Leprechaun?” I wouldn’t swear she had magical powers but she sure seemed to know a lot.

Mike shook his head. “Everyone knows Leprechauns are small men, not girls or women.”

“Yeah, and gods are fairytales too. When one myth is broken then all the rules are banished.” I gave Mike an extra one arm heartfelt hug as he steered me into a room full of people.

We did makeup. Along with makeup they swept my hair up and into a twist style on my head. Mike took me into a huge banquet room with a runway where we went through a dry run for the evening’s fashion show. I had a handful of notes and a teleprompter to keep me on track as I described each dress, gown, or costume as the models walked down the runway and back. Of course the models weren’t there yet. Mike was giving me pointers on how fast or slow I should be reading, how much inflections I should be putting in my voice on certain descriptive comments, and my posture as I did my Master of Ceremonies performance.

Men in suits, women in gowns, and lots of people with cameras started filtering into the banquet room at half an hour before seven P.M. Mike took me out to ‘mingle’ with the guests as he put it. It was a shock to hear many of those I was introduced to already knew me. “Oh, I saw your picture on the front of Culture magazine yesterday.” “So pleased to meet you Miss Tonue. I loved the article on In Edition.” “You’re as beautiful as your pictures and that gown has to be a Morgan original. I have to add it to my must have list.”

At ten after seven, Mike escorted me back to the podium and five minutes later gave me an introduction. I don’t remember all of it but it began, “Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Morgan’s San Francisco Fashions Show. Our master of ceremonies this evening is the lovely and talented, Bridget Renee Tonue...”

One at a time, Mike escorted the models out from behind the stage. I would describe the dress or gown as the model walked down the runway and back. Mike than escorted her off the stage and brought back the next one. I thought Mike added a lot of class to the show.

The fashion show was a lot of fun. Jerry had done more than his fair share of business promotions and presentations. This was the same thing. The only difference was that instead of software, I was promoting designer dresses, evening gowns, and leisure wear for the well-to-do woman. I knew Morgan’s designs would be copied and put on the discount rack in less than a week. Heck, it was the same thing in software. Pirates are pirates whether it is designer clothes, software, or anything of value to copy and sell.

At the closing of the show I introduced Morgan. It dawned on me as I was introducing her that she only used the name Morgan and no other. “Ladies and gentlemen, our hostess for the evening, Morgan.”

Morgan stepped up to the podium as everyone rose and gave a rousing round of applause. “Thank you Bridget. Ladies and gentlemen thank you for coming this evening. I hope you enjoyed…”

I walked backstage and slipped off my bolero jacket and pulled on white opera length gloves. I was carrying my jacket on my shoulder as Mike escorted me back on stage as Morgan mentioned my name.

“And here she is one more time, Miss Tonue wearing a powder blue, silk, floor-length evening gown. The gown has a bustier top. The design on the dress is by Dasher, hand sewn seed pearls and sequins. The dress is accessorized with a matching bolero jacket which carries the same design as the dress. For those special evenings…”

Mike stopped at the edge of the runway. I kept going and halfway down dropped my jacket to one of the photographers taking pictures. Except for Morgan talking as she described the dress it became deathly quiet in the banquet room. Everyone was wondering if I had made a mistake. A twelve thousand dollar outfit and I had tossed the matching jacket for it.

I pulled off my right glove as I walked to the end of the runway. I tossed it out to the audience. The photographers went wild taking pictures as everyone screamed. They had finally figured out I was either going to tease them or I was a striptease act. I rolled off my left glove and tossed it. The audience roared in excitement.

Looking back at Morgan she nodded approval to continue as she had prompted me before the show. I bent over, put my hands on my knees, stuck my butt out and wiggled my shoulders at the photographers in front of me.

They were ready. Cameras flashed, smiles spread from ear to ear, and the audience screamed, ‘more!’ I turned around to the other side of the runway and did the Marilyn pose for them as I shifted my hips to the right, put my right hand on it and put my left hand up under my hair. The crowd went wild as they screamed. Every girl knows that pose exaggerates all the curves. The hips look even wider than they are, the breasts are pushed up and out as the left arm is brought up and back, and the waist becomes an optical illusion of tiny as it’s lost between. Marilyn knew what she was doing and so does every girl who follows her.

I turned and strolled up the runway where Mike was waiting to escort me off the stage. I was wondering if the guys who had the gloves would keep them or toss them in the trash. What can a person do with one glove? What about the guy who caught the designer jacket? Would he buy the dress so he could have the outfit or would he toss part of a twelve thousand dollar outfit? Would Morgan’s idea of a burlesque make front page news or be a bust. Okay, so it was a partial burlesque. I didn’t really strip.

Morgan kept a running dialog going as she thanked everyone for coming while I changed into the wedding gown that had been in Morgan’s apartment. It only took a couple minutes to shed the powder blue gown and step into the white satin, strapless, wedding dress. The dress was absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. I still thought it was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. Delicate brocade, seed pearls, and lace covered the bodice of the dress. My breasts were delicately poised wrapped in white satin. The full skirt bellowed out in radiant glimmering white satin. There was a ten foot long train attached.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the finale for the evening, once again, Miss Tonue.” It was Morgan’s cue to me.

My arm was through Mike’s left as he escorted me back on stage. I could hear a couple of gasps as I walked up to the runway. There would be no striptease act this time. Morgan wanted nothing but class and I was determined to do my best. Mike handed me a bouquet of white roses as I stepped out to center stage. The dress rustled with every step as I began my journey down the runway.

“The wedding dress is white satin. The bodice is delicately embroidered white satin. The...”

I lost Morgan as I walked down the runway. I could only imagine the ultimate dream of any little girl would be to be wearing a wedding dress similar to the one I was wearing as she walked down the aisle of a huge church as the man of her dreams waited at the altar. I was wondering if Kelli ever made that trip after she abandoned me. Ironic isn’t it? Although I didn’t have the man of my dreams waiting at the end of my walk, I had switched places and was now wearing what Kelli would have, provided we had married.

I never saw the flashing cameras, nor heard Morgan as she described the gown. I was lost in my own world. I have no idea if I did it rightly or not. A reality check came home when Mike took my arm, leaned over, and whispered in my ear, “May I have this dance?”

“What? Oh, I guess. Did we do it already?” I was trying to figure out if I had made the walk or not?

“We did.” Mike escorted me backstage and a couple of girls unfastened the train.

The models were headed back out to the banquet room to mingle with the guests as Morgan stepped backstage where Mike and I stopped. “You did it perfectly Bridget. I imagine I will receive the reviews I was hoping for. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Thank you Morgan. You are too kind. I know you would have managed with or without me. It was kind of you to say so though.” I was studying Morgan as I answered her. I had no idea what a god should look like but maybe they should look like her. I had thought of her as Arabic when I met her that first day. After what Mike had said I realized she was Polynesian. Tan skin tone, high cheekbones, dark eyes, beautifully arched eyebrows, long lashes, sweetheart lips... a Hawaiian goddess for sure.

She smiled as if she was sharing a secret when she glanced toward Mike before turning her attention back in my direction. “Let’s go work the clients Bridget. See if we can’t get a few more lines of ink printed about the show.”

“Sure.” Holding up my skirt I followed her out to the banquet room where Morgan’s other models were already “working” the press and the clients.

Morgan led me over to a cluster of six men. “Gentlemen, did you like the show? Ben, Pete, I want you to meet, Bridget Renee Tonue.”

One of the other men held out his hand for a handshake. “I’m Earl, editor of the Coming Times. I saw your pictures in Guys and Dolls. Rumor has it you are going to be Morgan’s calendar for next year. Care to comment?”

I took his hand and I bet my eyes glazed over because I was lost. Before I could make a fool out of myself and say, ‘I have no idea what you are talking about’ Morgan stepped in and let me off the hook. “Hopefully Bridget is doing a calendar layout for the coming year for my company. It hasn’t been inked yet. She has a tentative with Casual Magazine for the April issue. I’m sure she would be glad to talk to you about her coming schedule. Earl, would you try and focus on this evening.”

Another man looked hurt before he smiled and winked at me. “I thought that was what we were doing? Focusing on the evening that is. And a lovely evening it is too Morgan. You always have the most beautiful girls in your shows. Bridget is one of the most exquisite models you have shown us to date.”

“And her gown? That is the reason you came isn’t it Jimmy, to look at my new line of gowns?” Morgan reached over and touched my dress for emphasis as she spoke.

The man she called Jimmy stared at me for a few seconds before he answered, “Morgan, your designs are the best, that’s a given. You can’t deny you put damned beautiful ladies inside those gowns to make every woman who sees them think she could look as good if she bought your dress.”

A smile spread across Morgan’s face. “Jimmy, you think I would be as devious as that? I’m hurt you would suggest such an idea.”

“Morgan, I not only think you would, I know. Now tell me how I can do the same. I want Bridget for a layout in Travel Treasures.” He reached in his pocket, pulled out a business card, and handed it to Morgan.

“Gentlemen, if you want to work Bridget into any photo ops, I strongly suggest you contact her agent. Jimmy, I’ll pass along the message and your card. Come Bridget, I want you to meet Lynn Johnston.” Morgan took my hand and was urging me over to our right.

I had never thought of models as a merchandising gimmick, but I guess they are. I also never thought of models needing a business agent to handle their schedules, but I guess they do, just as Jerry needed a secretary to schedule his appointments. One of the reasons I had never given any thought to any of these things was because up until today, I never considered myself as a model. But then I hadn’t given very much thought to what I was. Was I a flight attendant? I had the uniforms but no schedule except Donna waking me up and telling me I was late for my flight. I guess when it came down to it, I was here and nothing else.

Morgan led me over to where a woman was talking to a group of men. She pointed to the lady. “Bridget, this is Lynn Johnston who writes for Fashionable Times. Lynn, this is...”

The lady had turned her attention to us when Morgan started to introduce us. “I know who she is. You needn’t introduce us.”

Lynn gave me the once over from head to toe. “Everything I have heard is true. Yesterday an associate dropped Guys and Dolls on my desk. She told me to take a look at the new face. She said Bridget was going to be a household name within six months. She’s probably right.”

“Morgan, your gowns are sure to send a few wags running to the boutiques. If I had any hope of filling it out like Bridget does, I think I would be tempted to spend this year’s income on one myself.”

“Thank you Lynn. Does that mean you will say something nice in your review tomorrow?” Morgan touched my gown for emphasis.

“Well, I don’t know. You let me borrow Bridget’s powder blue gown for the charity ball next week and I’ll write two columns about your show.” Lynn’s eyes were gleaming with mischief as she glanced from me to Morgan.

Morgan laughed as she shook her head. “Lynn, I hate to tell you this but you’re dreaming if you think you can wear the same gown Bridget is wearing.”

A smirk spread across Lynn’s face. “That hurt Morgan. Just for that, I’m only going to write one column about your show. The second column will be about Bridget and the gown she’s wearing.”

“I really didn’t see anything here worth writing about.”

My heart jumped up in my throat as I recognized the voice behind me.

Morgan and I turned around at the same time. I must have run a thousand options through my mind in less than a heartbeat. Murder, killing them with my bare hands, jumping on them and beating the holy shit out of both of them, screaming at them they had ruined my life, damning them for eternity... Then I took a second look at the woman. She was but she wasn’t. I mean, the face was her, but her body...? She always had beautiful platinum blond, shoulder-length hair. The woman in front of me had mousy brown, short-cropped hair and her bust was anything but the one I remembered.

He was the same though. Nothing had changed about him. He still had the weasel smile and his eyes were devouring me with the same look he had cast upon all the women who worked under him. I knew his thoughts better than he did. He was trying to figure out how to get me in his bed for a romp under the covers. If that wasn’t an option then he would settle for getting in me from any position.

“Bridget, I want you to meet Robert and Nancy Drake. Mr. Drake is an advertising executive and his charming wife Nancy is a florist.” Morgan pointed with her left hand in their direction.

“Nancy? Married? Drake?” I was choking down every word as my mind fought with what I was hearing. When we were living together it was Kelli Stalwart and she was a platinum blonde with a forty, twenty-six, thirty-six figure on a five-seven frame. The face was the same, but this woman was what, a thirty-four, twenty-eight, thirty-six?

“She doesn’t seem too bright, does she? She always repeats everything?” Nancy reached out with her right hand and prodded my left breast. “They look so fake. I had some done by Dr. Ketchner. They were so realistic, it was impossible to tell.”

She cupped her right breast with her right hand. “I had the implants removed. Men fell all over themselves talking to my tits. They could never stop staring. Men are so stupid. I had one who wanted to marry me because I had large breasts. I should have left them with him. He could have married them. He would have lived happily ever after.”

Reaching over with her left arm, she wrapped it around Robert’s waist. “My husband isn’t that shallow. He married me because he likes me, not my tits. Don’t you honey?”

I wanted to scream at her that Robert married her because she helped him screw me out of my business, my money, and my life. Money was the key word for sure. “You have one in a million, Nancy.”

“I sure do... Bridget is it? That your stage name? It sounds so shallow. Kind of artificial like your tits.” She smiled. “No offense of course.”

My god! I couldn’t believe I was in love and had asked this bitch to marry me at one time. Why was she trying her best to slice and dice me now? “No, of course, no offense taken.”

“When you get tired of men following you around wanting to feel your tits then call Dr. Ketchner. He is the best in the business. He can remove those breast implants you have without leaving any visible scars.” Nancy looked into my eyes to see if she had struck a nerve yet.

“Thank you dear. You’re so kind to give me special advice.” I wanted to deck her. Instead I managed to bring up my coffee, tea, or me smile.

“Bridget has more than beauty going for her. For a few thousand dollars she purchased an option in a software company. It should come up on the market in a few months. She scooped the competition.” Morgan nodded in my direction.

“I know something about software. Owned a software company myself at one time. Got out at the right time. Sold it for millions. What’s the name of the company you picked up Bridget?” Robert had joined in the conversation.

Morgan looked over at me. “I forgot what you told me the name of that company was? Uh, Not Lotions...? No, that doesn’t sound right. Let’s see. Hot Topics? Sure that’s it. Hot Topics.”

I was positive I was in shock. I know Nancy and Robert were. They both turned white.

Hot Topics? How much did you pay for the option?” Robert coughed out after he found his voice.

“Well, Bridget told me not to tell but she said she paid sixty thousand for all the software rights and the rights to purchase the name. I understand the company machinery and many of the personnel are still available to begin production. I only wish I had been notified of the offer. Bridget is going to make millions on that transaction.” Morgan shook her head in disgust at a missed opportunity.

A smile spread across Robert’s face. “Small world isn’t it. That was the company I owned at one time. Listen, you need a partner, and I already know all about that business. Sixty thousand did you say? I could go for half at thirty thousand. Of course, the profits would be fifty-fifty, but you could run the office.”

I wanted to stick my finger down my throat and puke. How I ever let these two con artists close to me once before was beyond my reasoning. What had I been thinking? “Uh, that’s very kind of you Mr. Drake. I’ll keep it in mind if the option goes through.”

“No need for waiting to see. I’ll take a gamble on a fifty percent share for thirty thousand. I’ll write you a check now.” Robert was reaching inside his jacket for his checkbook.

“No, I’m sorry but I can’t take your money at this time. It wouldn’t be right. If it fell through, I would feel I owed you for talking you into sharing in a shaky agreement.” I was thinking that if I had a gun, I would shoot both of them and put them out of their misery right here and now.

Morgan nodded at me as if she knew what I was thinking. “Bridget also bought some sort of well-drilling invention, or equipment or whatever. She was trying to describe it to me, but I didn’t understand it. The only thing I understood was that if she could find the backing, then it would make her rich.”

“What kind of well-drilling equipment is it Bridget?” Robert’s curiosity had been pricked.

“Uh, well, it’s hard to explain. Easier to show someone, rather than explain it.” I was running through my mind all the trash I had read about anything to do with drilling and it wasn’t much.

“Uh, it, that is, it’s called a core bore.” I was desperately searching though my memory for anything I could think of about drilling.

“That wouldn’t interest us would it darling.” Nancy faked a yawn of disinterest as she put her hand up against her mouth.

“Probably not. Doesn’t sound like much. What is it supposed to do?” Robert glanced over at Nancy for a second before he turned back to me.

“Uh, well, it, ah, it works without all the equipment one normally associates with drilling rigs. Like I said, hard to describe. I guess it you might say it would be akin to sending an electric drill down into the ground.” I was floundering as I searched my mind for ideas and wondering why Morgan had sent me down this path.

“I see.” Robert looked at his watch. “It’s been interesting...”

“I’m investing everything I own in Bridget’s Core Bore enterprise. I’ve seen a test. They tell me they will do a real bore in search of raw energy or oil in a few days if they can get enough cash to keep it going.” Morgan’s eyes were gleaming as she enthusiastically pitched my imaginary drilling proposal.

“How much are you investing Morgan? I mean, not that I would be interested but I was curious.” Robert hesitated for a second.

“I had two million and borrowed two more to invest. I know this is going to be the next evolution in energy production. Core Bore will make Bridget the richest person in the world and I’m going along too.” Morgan had sweetened the bait.

I had no idea what Morgan was fishing for. The only thing I was positive of was that Nancy and Robert were the intended victims of these fabricated lies.

Nancy pulled on Robert’s arm. “Let’s go dear. I have a terrible headache and all this business talk is making it worse.”

Reluctantly Robert agreed. “Sure hon. Morgan, you have a business card?”

Morgan reached out her hand with a business card. “Call me anytime Mr. Drake.”

I watched as Robert took the card and walked out with Nancy. “Morgan?”

“Later Bridget. Mingle hon, mingle. These people may have shown up because it was my show, but it was you they wanted to see with their own eyes. Be nice to them Bridget. I need to sell a few more gowns to pay for this extravaganza. It is never cheap to put on one of these shows. This one was twice as expensive because of such short notice. Smile at the photographers and visit with the fashion writers for a few hours.”

Several hours later, tired wasn’t the word for how I felt. After LeAnn drove Mike and me back to the hotel, I was totally exhausted. In my room, I slipped out of the wedding gown, hung it up, and died before I touched the top of the bed.

Deity Arms Separator

There was a knock on my door. Opening my eyes, I looked for a clock but there wasn’t one. It was bright outside so the sun was way up. My wristwatch had been left with my black purse and that was? I had no idea. Again there was a light knock on my door. “I’m coming. Give me a minute.”

I didn’t pack a housecoat, so I pulled the top cover off the bed and wrapped it around me before I opened the door. A maid was standing there. “You are not ready for me to clean your room?”

“No, do you mind? Can you come back in thirty minutes? I’ll be dressed. Do you have the time?” I was wondering how long I had slept.

She glanced at her watch. “Of course. It’s twelve fifteen.”

“Thanks.” I had slept most of the day away already. It didn’t take me long to drop the cover on the bed, run a quick bath, and find a shimmering green, polyester dress in my suitcase. It took even less time to slip on pantyhose, bra, and a slip before stepping into the green dress. The dress had long sleeves, and a rather daring hem. I added four-inch white heels and diamond earrings along with a choker. I found enough makeup in my overnighter to halfway get my face on before I headed out the door.

I had no idea where to go, so I headed for the elevator and lobby. Mike was waiting there. He rose off the couch and headed across the room toward me. “Afternoon Bridget. You certainly look like a model.”

“Thank you Mike. You look nice this morning.” I honestly meant it as Mike had on a brown suit and a gray tie–something of a rarity in our age of casual dress.

He swung a white purse strap off his shoulder and handed it to me: “Your purse.”

“Thank you again. Is it your job to look out for me?” I was curious how he seemed to always know what I was needing.

“Let’s go into the dining room, order something to eat, and talk.” He motioned me toward a hallway leading off the entry.

“Sure.” I took the purse and slid the strap up on my shoulder as I slipped my left hand into his right. It felt like the natural thing to do.

Glancing in my direction, Mike smiled. “You are amazing.”

“How’s that?” I had no idea what was amazing.

He never answered as he walked with me over to a table and pulled out a chair. “Please.”

I sat down in the offered chair as Mike walked around the other side of the table and sat down. He motioned for a waiter and ordered two lunch specials without ever looking at a menu. When the waiter had left, Mike took a deep breath as he studied me. “Here goes. Bridget, Morgan wondered why you didn’t get upset when you met Nancy and Robert last night.”

“Upset? Upset? I was absolutely livid. I wanted to jump on them and strangle them with my bare hands.”

“Then why didn’t you?” Mike put his elbows on the table, placed his hands together, and rested his chin on his knuckles.

I felt like a kid being examined in kindergarten by the teacher. “Because it wasn’t physically possible. I may have been able to beat the living daylights out of Kelli or Nancy as she calls herself now. Robert could have taken one swipe and knocked me senseless. Bridget isn’t a prizefighter in case you haven’t noticed.”

“You didn’t retaliate against Nancy’s sarcasms. Again, why?”

“I was a representative of Morgan. Nancy may or may not have been buying Morgan’s gowns. The fact was, what Nancy did or didn’t do was immaterial. There were dozens of reporters there who would have jumped all over the case if I had gone ballistic. I was there as a guest of Morgan. Guests don’t air their dirty laundry in the host’s home.”

“I see. Morgan was impressed. That was the reason she baited the trap for you. The rest is up to you.” Mike picked up his napkin and spread it out as the waiter set down a couple of glasses of water.

“I don’t follow. What bait? What is up to me?” I was lost in this conversation.

“In your purse are two credit cards, a check book to your checking account with twenty four thousand dollars, and seven hundred dollars in your billfold. You have all the certificates and papers to live your life as Bridget Renee Tonue. You have that life now.” He picked up his water and took a sip as he watched me with his eyes.

“There is something else isn’t there?” I had been in enough business meetings to know when there was an incomplete report.

“As I said, Morgan baited the trap. It is up to you to decide if you want to see if you can catch a couple of rats. Morgan is out of it from here on. She won’t help you any further. Last night Morgan told Robert you had purchased a well-drilling business and needed investors. You added it was a business named Core Bore. Robert has called Morgan four times already this morning wanting to see your business and trying to get information on what it’s all about. He smells an opportunity. It’s up to you to see if you can reel him and Nancy in.” He waited for me to digest his speech.

“I’m supposed to set up the Core Bore operation to get Robert to invest?” I wanted to see if I had it figured out.

“Yes. The catch is, you are on your own. You will probably max out your credit cards and spend everything you have in the bank to set up the scam. If it fails then you will be in debt for a very long time. It’s a win or lose it all situation. Your call.” Mike wiped his hands on his napkin after he wiped the corners of his mouth.

“Revenge isn’t best served up cold. It’s best served up hot. Kelli and Robert stole everything including my life. I think I owe them something extra. I had nothing when Morgan saved me from myself.”

I winked at Mike. “Now I have a life. Money isn’t life. I can lose everything. I’m not going to look back and wish I had given it a shot. I want the opportunity to return the favor to Robert and Kelli. Or Nancy as she calls herself.

“As you wish. Do you have a plan? Morgan needs to give Robert some samples while he’s still drooling over the prospect.”

“Sure. I know a guy in the business... Okay, Jerry knew a guy in the business. Let’s see... I need to fly down to Houston to talk to him. He wouldn’t do this over the phone. We will set up a dummy corporation, a down hole shop, and a location in the field.” Mike was right. I was going to max out my life to set this up. It was going to take several hundred thousand dollars if not ten times that much to get the sting in place in less than a week.

“When are you going to Houston?” Mike pointed toward me as the waiter set a salad bowl down in front of us.

“Immediately. Today if possible. Oh... do I have a show with Morgan? I mean I’ll...”

“Morgan has gone to France. You have a flight out tomorrow afternoon on Atlantic from LAX. Until then it’s your time.” He motioned to the waiter. “Blue cheese dressing please for the lady and me.”

“I need to call the airlines and see about a flight to Houston. Wait, I’d better call Jim Castle and see if he’s there. He probably won’t give me an appointment. He and Jerry were thick friends. If he’s at the office I’ll fly in and he will see me even without an appointment.” I picked up my fork and was taking huge bites of salad as I was talking.

“Bridget?

“Yes?”

Mike pointed his fork at my salad bowl. “I’ll get you to Houston after you make the phone call. Morgan didn’t say I couldn’t help. You’ll have to fly in your Atlantic uniform for me to get you on board. It’s a trade courtesy thing between the airlines. You can take time to taste your meal. Slow down.”

My fork was halfway up to my stuffed mouth. Mike was right. I was gulping my meal down in my haste to get my plan started. I laid my fork down as I relaxed. I couldn’t reply. My mouth was full.

I had no idea what I ate for lunch. I was too excited about getting to Houston and talking to Jim. Mike let me pay for our lunch as he made a couple phone calls. I then headed for my room and a change of clothes. I was soon back to looking like an Atlantic stewardess when Mike knocked on my door.

“It’s not locked come on in. I’m dressed.” I was brushing my hair as I gathered up my things.

Mike nodded his approval as he walked into the room. “You look professional Bridget. Here’s the plan. I have a ticket for Houston on American. You can come back here after your meeting or go to Los Angeles. What’s your choice?”

“Los Angeles would probably be a better idea. I’m flying out of there tomorrow back to New York. Save a few air miles. What about a room? They aren’t expecting me there. Maybe I need to come back here? I need to be saving my money for the sting operation if I can get Jim to put it together for me. It’s going to take bunches of money to rent a drilling rig, men, equipment, a shop, office, and have decals printed up for the trucks and equipment so it will look like Core Bore Drilling Company.”

Mike walked over and opened my suitcase. “I’ll help you pack so you can switch to Los Angeles. You will share a room with Vivian, Atlantic’s room.”

“Thanks Mike, I couldn’t do this without you.” I pointed toward the wedding gown. “That isn’t going in my suitcase. Where does it go?”

“My job. I’ll take care of it. He emptied the hangers and laid my clothes on the bed so I could fold them into the suitcase.

Mike walked me down to the curb after I had everything packed. He had called for a cab and they were waiting. He put the suitcase in the cab and held the door open with his right hand.

“Thanks for everything Mike.” I leaned up and gave him a kiss on the cheek before I slid into the backseat of the cab.

“Good luck Bridget. I really do hope it works out for you. Go to American. The tickets are waiting for you.” He closed the door.

The cab driver pulled out before I could answer Mike. I was praying it would work.

The gentleman at American was more than courteous as I approached the ticket counter. “Bridget, we were expecting you. I have your tickets. Do you want to check one of your bags?”

I took the offered tickets as I shook my head. “No, I’m in a hurry and don’t want to have to wait on luggage on the other end. Do you mind?”

“Of course not. It’s a pleasure to have one of Atlantic’s own flying with us. Your plane is almost loaded. They should be closing the doors in fifteen minutes. Have a good flight.” He pointed off down the concourse toward his right.

I made it with time to spare even if that plane was parked clear down on the other end of the terminal. Denna was the name of the stewardess taking boarding tickets. She waved me on without even looking at my ticket. “Welcome to American Airlines Miss Tonue. Hope you enjoy your flight.”

Thanking her, I walked on the plane and was given a seat next to the stewardess. A few minutes later we were airborne and I was asked to visit the cockpit. I knew why. Pilots are pilots no matter what the name on their uniform says. American, Atlantic, Southwest, they were all the same. They wanted to see an Atlantic Hooters stewardess up close.

I was game so I walked up to the cockpit. “Good afternoon Captain. May I get you and your co-pilot a cup of coffee or some juice?”

The pilot turned around to get a good look before he answered. “Coffee would be great thanks.”

The co-pilot’s eyes kept growing after he turned around for a look. “Uh... orange juice for me if it’s not too much trouble.”

“No trouble at all. How do you like your coffee Captain?”

“Cream and sugar, please.” He was still staring.

I looked over at the flight engineer. “May I bring something back for you?”

“Sure...” He was eye level with my breasts and I thought his eyes were going to fall out.

“And what would that be? Coffee or juice?” I was thinking maybe these guys would shift over to flying for Atlantic so they could fly the Hooters Skies.

“Orange juice I guess.” He finally realized he was staring at my breasts and tried to look at my face.

“One coffee, two orange coming up.” I walked back to the galley to get their order.

Karen, American’s stewardess met me in the galley. “I can get it for them Bridget. You shouldn’t be doing this. It’s not your job.”

“In a way it is. It’s our job to keep the crew and the passengers happy. That’s what we do for a living. Atlantic, American, whatever makes no difference. I know they wanted to window shop the merchandise Atlantic is flying. Don’t worry Karen, I’m not on the market.”

Karen kneeled down and pulled a magazine out from the cabinet. She laid it down on the counter and opened it up to the centerfold. I was looking at me wearing a powder blue evening gown. I was tossing the jacket. ‘Bridget Renee Tonue that says it all’ was the caption.

Karen sighed. “I can’t compete with that.”

I gave Karen the once over. Angelic face, way above average beauty, and a curvaceous body that would be labeled ‘too hot to handle’ under normal circumstances. “Hon, you can compete with any woman but it would be a lost cause because anyone else would be second best. Which one is on your shopping list?”

“Kyle, he’s the navigator. I can’t get him to get serious.” Karen closed up the magazine, Fashion Fortune.

“Are you handing out samples?” I finished the drinks for the crew.

“Sa... uh... yes.” Karen looked embarrassed.

“That’s a secret just between us. Okay, tell him the market is closed until he proposes.” I looked to see if she was going to give it any thought.

“I can’t do that. He can snap his fingers and a dozen women will jump in his bed.” She looked astonished I would suggest such a thing.

“Let them jump if that’s the outcome. Why should he offer to purchase the product when he’s getting it for free? You aren’t ever going to get Kyle to propose if he can have what he wants without any commitments. Give it some thought Karen. And drop me out of the picture. Like I said, I’m not on the market.” I picked up the drinks for the crew and headed back to the cockpit to pass them out.

Before the flight was up I was invited to the rear galley. I knew that was to give American passengers a look at what Atlantic was flying as hostesses. I saw the humor in it so I did the walk down the aisle to the rear of the plane. On the way I stopped to visit and ask a dozen or so passengers if they were comfortable. I had a short chat with the American crew before I returned to my seat.

At Houston I caught a cab to Castle Fishing Tools. Jim didn’t make tools to catch fish. He designed tools to pull lost pipe string up out of an oil well or dry hole. I had to run a gauntlet of secretaries to get to Jim’s personal secretary. I honestly believe if I hadn’t been wearing my Atlantic uniform I wouldn’t have made it past the secretaries. There’s something about a uniform that says ‘professional’ even if it was skimpy like the one I was wearing. Jim’s secretary wasn’t giving up Jim for anyone who didn’t have an appointment.

I wasn’t going to give up even if I had to wait for him to come out of his office. “Tell Mr. Castle that Jerry Rands sent me. I have a personal message for Jim.”

“Give me the message and I’ll deliver it.” Carla wasn’t a gatekeeper for nothing.

“I said it was personal. Would you mind calling him and telling him Jerry Rands sent me?”

She looked like she wasn’t going to give up her boss. Finally she capitulated as she picked up the phone. Carla knew Jerry Rands also. She had talked to him on the phone several times. She knew Jerry and Jim were good friends. “A Miss Tonue here to deliver a message from Jerry Rands.”

Carla hung up the phone as she motioned toward the door beside her desk. “If you lied to me, I’ll make you pay. Mr. Castle said he would talk to you.”

“Thanks Carla. Jerry said you were the best secretary Jim could have. I know he appreciates it.” I opened the door and walked into Jim’s office.

Jim stood up as his eyes grew two sizes. “You know Jerry? I heard he was dragged into court. How is he?”

“Dead.” I knew that would kick this conversation into high gear.

It took a lot longer than I had anticipated to talk Jim into what I needed from him. It was also going to take a lot more money than I had counted on. It was after ten P.M. and everyone had gone home from the office. Jim and I were left alone with the exception of the building security guard. Jim accepted the story I told him with the condition I let him check it out come morning. I left him a check made out for twenty four thousand dollars. It was the amount Mike told me I had in a checking account. I also handed Jim the seven hundred dollars I had in my purse. It was everything I had except my last forty two dollars. Jim gave me a ride back to the airport.

At the airport I gave Jim a kiss on the cheek as he handed me my luggage out of the back seat. Jim looked embarrassed by the kiss. I reached up and wiped the lipstick off with my hand. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

He studied my eyes the way he always use to study Jerry’s eyes when we were talking. “I can’t believe it. I mean you look so damn much woman and you act like one too. I’m still thinking this has to be a joke.”

“No joke Jim. Forget Jerry. He had a life and he’s gone. I’m the replacement. I can’t do this without you. Kelli and Robert killed Jerry. They took his life as sure as if they had shot and buried him. I can’t let them get away with it without at least trying to pay them back. Please tell me you will help me.” I backed up to give him a little room to think.

Never losing his concentration on my eyes, he sighed. “What can it hurt if you are lying? I mean, this has so many holes in it, no one will buy it. All I’m going to lose is a little money and time. I’ll have Core Bore Drilling Company set up in two days. Send me the fish by Friday at one o’clock, no later. This has to be an up and gone situation no matter the outcome. The government will be all over this if we run it for five days. I’ll have the rig up and drilling, you’ll get your gusher, and two hours later the location will be plowed under to keep the EPA from hauling all of us off to Federal prison for pollution. I can think of three dozen Federal and state laws we are breaking.”

“Thanks Jim. Win or lose, I always thought you were the best friend a guy could ever wish for in any life.” I picked up my carryon and headed for the plane as I pulled my suitcase along on its rollers.

“Two days, no longer. After two days we close up shop and I never heard of you.”

I waved a hand in the air to acknowledge I heard him as I headed for the plane. Jim said he might lose a little money. That was an understatement. He was going to lose a lot of money if Robert didn’t take the bait. Jim could also lose a lot of money if the government found out sooner than he expected. Maybe even prison if the government caught us. This really wasn’t Jim’s fight. Jim agreed to do it because he was Jerry’s friend.

I made the trip from Houston to LAX on Southwest Airlines. Vivian was sound asleep by the time I found the apartment. I found a hanger for my uniform and the bed in short order and was out of it in seconds.

Deity Arms Separator

“Are we going to go through life like this?”

I opened my eyes as someone was shaking me. I recognized the voice. “Time again Donna?”

“You got it sleepy head. I have your bath water running. We have the two o’clock flight and it’s after twelve. You have to hustle again girl.”

I rolled out of bed, stood up, and gave Donna a hug. “Jim is going to set it up for me.”

She backed out of my hug as she pushed me off. “Bath, dress, plane, talk later.”

“I have to call Mike and let him know so Morgan can let Robert know there will be a meeting.” I gathered up underclothes as I headed for the bathroom.

“Morgan has already talked to Robert. She let him know. Morgan told Robert he and Nancy are one of the few to see your Core Bore Company before stock is opened to the public.” Donna took my uniform off the hanger and laid it on the bed.

I stopped in the door to the bathroom. “Morgan has already told him? I thought she was out of this as of yesterday?”

“There is out and then there is out. Morgan won’t help you reel them in Bridget. She won’t be there to coax you when you do your sting as you try to get Robert and Nancy to invest.” Donna picked up my suitcase and tossed it on the bed.

“Will you be there?” I waited for an answer.

“Me? You gotta be joking. Why would you want me there? I can’t help you.” Donna turned to look at me as she put her hands on her hips.

“Flaming red hair, green eyes, fun in everything you do, tell me you aren’t a Leprechaun.”

“Okay... I’m not a Leprechaun. They are funny little men from Ireland and only a myth. Now get a bath, you stink like old cabbage.” A smile crept across her face as she watched me.

“Yeah, and I’m the Easter Bunny too.” I closed the door behind me, dropped my panties, walked over, and slid into the hot bath.

Vivian was checking tickets as Donna and I approached the boarding tunnel. “Ladies, you are late. I’m going to have to mark this on your report.”

Donna picked up the passenger manifest. “It’s all Bridget’s fault. She wants to sleep her life away. Mark her report twice.”

Looking up sharply at Donna, Vivian frowned. “Don’t get smart with me. I’ll flag your report with an attitude mark also.”

Donna glanced over at me. I was wondering if Donna was going to keep talking and get both of us fired? “Donna was only joking. I’m sorry, it was my fault we were late. I didn’t set my alarm and Donna came to get me. Please don’t dock Donna too.”

Vivian looked satisfied with the apology. “Both of you get a late report. Don’t let it happen again.”

Donna winked at me and then held up the manifest. “We promise. Well, surprise, guess who is in first class? Bridget is serving our first class passengers... again. I have the also rans in coach. I guess that should make our pilots happy to know Miss Tonue is their hostess on this flight.”

“It sure makes me happy,” came from behind us.

“Hello Captain.” I recognized the voice before I turned my head to my right to look.

He leaned up over my shoulder and gave me a kiss full on the lips before I had a chance to respond. “I expect appropriate service for the pilots on this trip.”

A smirk curled up the corners of Donna’s mouth. “And that includes kisses from the stewardess? I’m afraid you have taken the meaning of hostess too literally Captain.”

Sam reached up with his left hand and cupped Donna’s chin as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “Can it Donna. Like I said, jealousy isn’t your best feature. And that is MISTER Captain to you.”

“Listen MISTER Toad. I’m not jealous. You are sadly mistaken if you think I see anything of value in you I could be jealous of.” She turned and walked into the boarding tunnel as she was talking.

“Toad? Hey, have you forgot who’s flying this bird? Let’s show the Captain a little respect here. This sounds like mutiny to me. And who conveniently left their purse and money at home and made me buy that last dinner? And...” Sam was lost as he followed Donna onto the plane.

Vivian looked like she had been smacked. She pointed her finger at me. “This doesn’t change anything. You could know the president and I would still mark you late.”

“Yes ma’am. Only fair ma’am.” I followed Sam and Donna onto the plane.

Before takeoff Donna handed me a cell phone. “Keep it handy. Robert is wanting to fly down to Houston to find out about Core Bore. He will be calling you shortly for an address so he can look over the company.”

I took the phone and made a pretense of sliding it into the nonexistent pockets our flight uniforms didn’t have. “Silly me! It seems I left my pocket in my closet when I dressed this morning. Where would you suggest I carry it while I’m serving our passengers?”

Donna pointed between my breasts. “I would suggest there but I can only imagine the pandemonium it would cause when it started ringing and you reached in to pull it out. Adjust the ringer to high and leave it on the counter in the galley. And you didn’t get dressed this morning. It was afternoon before I managed to drag you kicking and screaming from your bed.”

I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a heartfelt hug. “No matter what happens, no matter how this works out, no matter if I have to sell pencils on the corner after this, I want you to know I will forever be in your debt. I owe everyone so much I can never repay all of you. Thanks, I’m glad I met a Leprechaun.”

Donna hugged me back before she backed up and looked me in the eyes. “I’m glad I know you. It’s an experience I’ll never forget.”

“Let’s get this bird loaded and into the air.” She turned and picked up the passenger list out of the seat as people started up the tunnel toward the plane.

Pat was the Atlantic stewardess who was assigned to first class with me. A strikingly attractive petite blonde, she was so cheerful and quick I immediately thought of her as a pixie. She was all of five-four and if she weighed a hundred pounds then I was monkey’s uncle. She was amazing to watch as she bounded (that’s the only way I can explain it) down the aisle to serve a passenger and then back to check on someone up front. There was a family traveling with two small boys on the port side six seats back. Less than an hour into our flight the boys started bickering, fighting, and screaming. The mother and dad tried to hush them but to no avail. When the boys started standing up in their seats to annoy the other passengers I figured it had gone on long enough. I headed over to see if I couldn’t reason with the two monsters when Pat hustled by me.

She admonished the two tiny terrors. “Please sit down in your seats. Do you climb all over the furniture at home like this?”

“My dad doesn’t care.” The oldest one piped up as he turned in the seat to see who had questioned his right to be a little snot.

“I see. Okay, would you like to see a movie or go look for treasure?” Pat put her fists on her hips and stood as straight and tall as her petite frame would allow.

I almost laughed it was so funny. It would be like Peter Cottontail trying to act tough.

“Treasure!” They both shouted in unison.

Pat nodded. “Okay, follow me and let’s go see if we can find that treasure.”

I watched in amazement as Pat walked off toward the back of the plane with the two terrors following. I was positive she would be back in minutes with the little devils crying they had been tricked. As far as I knew, Atlantic didn’t carry treasure on its planes to pacify the kiddie parade that might happen to be flying.

The phone Donna had loaned me was ringing. I walked up to the galley to answer it. “This is Bridget.”

“Bridget, this is Robert Drake. I met you at a party a couple nights back,” it answered me.

“I remember.” I swallowed as my nerves tightened up. I was praying I didn’t mess this up.

“Your friend Morgan mentioned something about a revolutionary new concept in energy production. She said you had bought the idea from the inventor. She mentioned you might be looking for investors.”

“That’s correct, and you know someone who might be interested?” I hoped my voice didn’t give me away as my throat went dry.

“Possibly but I need to have something to tell him. Can you send me some information?”

“Mr. Drake, you have to understand this is really confidential information. It wouldn’t be possible to send out any information before we release it for public shares.” How hard do I try to hold back to make him think it was a real insiders dream? If I hold back too much do I lose his interest?

“...I see. Then there isn’t a chance to look this business over before it goes public?”

“Uh, I didn’t say that. I said I couldn’t send out printed information. I can get you an onsite visit but no cameras, no friends. You have to understand if the Securities and Trade Commission finds out I had let someone outside the company look at this before public trading I could lose it all.” I felt faint as I had bet my whole future on Robert wanting a look.

“Um... yeah. I’ll call you back.” There was a click as the phone went dead.

My stomach did a flip flop. Had I lost him? Should I call Jim and tell him to stop now before he spent any more money? I was shaking all over as I found a seat and laid the phone down. What do I do now? What was Robert doing? I realized Jerry didn’t know Robert as well as I had thought. Hell, the guy had stolen my life and I never saw it coming. What made me think I could figure Robert out now?

The light was blinking for passenger number twenty four. I rose out of the chair and put on my best smile as I headed back to see what he wanted. My smile must have been on crooked because he looked at me kind of funny as I asked him what he needed.

I didn’t realize when Pat made it back with the two tiny terrors. At some point she must have because they were in their seats and acting like little angels as they colored in their coloring books.

By the time the plane landed in New York, I was strung out tighter than a banjo string. I was praying for Robert to call me and at the same time wondering if I should call him. Had I lost him? Would calling him scare him off?

After Sam parked the plane at the terminal, I put on my coffee, tea, or me smile and bid each and every passenger a ‘thanks for flying Atlantic’ farewell at the door.

Donna was walking up from the back, Pat was waiting for someone to help get her luggage down from the overhead, and the crew had come out of the cockpit. Sam walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Bridget, ho...”

It was the last thing I heard as things turned black.

“Bridget… BRIDGET!... BRIDGET! CALL MEDICAL!” Sam picked up the limp body in his arms.

“DONNA, CALL MEDICAL!” Sam was headed down the boarding ramp at a trot as he carried Bridget in his arms.

“GET OUT OF THE WAY! OUT OF MY WAY!” He was trying to make the crowds move over as he trotted through the concourse and headed toward the nurses’ station.

The nurse checked for pulse and then dropped a stethoscope on Bridget’s left chest. “Symptoms?”

Sam shook his head as Donna crowded into the little examination room behind him. “None. We just arrived from Los Angles. She seemed fine the whole flight. She collapsed on the plane after all the passengers had left.”

The nurse pushed on the stomach of the woman lying on the table before taking a second pulse. “She have anything to eat recently?”

Sam turned around to look at Donna. “She eat lunch before she got on board?”

“No.” Donna was shaking her head.

“Did anyone see her eat anything on the plane?” The nurse took the woman’s blood pressure.

“We usually don’t eat on the plane. It’s pretty hectic waiting on passengers most of the time.” Donna edged up closer to the table to look at Bridget.

The nurse examined the arms of the woman and then walked over to the medicine cabinet to get a vial. “I get one or two of these in here each week. I keep telling the airlines you girls are not zombies. You don’t eat so you can look like models. Then you work your asses off running all over those planes keeping everyone happy. No food means the body can’t make energy. No energy means something has to give when you keep working.”

She pointed to the woman lying on the table. “This is exactly what happens when you keep punishing your bodies to fit into those damn little nothing uniforms the airlines want you to wear.”

She broke the vial in her fingers and swept it back and forth under the woman’s nose. “This will get her back to life. She has to eat or she will be back on my table or someone else’s table the next flight or the flight after that.”

I coughed as something terribly pungent wrecked my smell. “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Donna laid her hand on my shoulder. “Lay still for a minute until you get your bearings back. When was the last time you ate?”

I wanted to put a fire hose up my nose and get rid of that terrible smell. “I don’t remember. Yesterday noon when I had lunch with Mike, I guess. Why? I passed out didn’t I?”

Donna shook her head as she looked over at Sam. “Did the nurse nail it or did the nurse nail it?”

The nurse waved her hand toward the door. “Out, everyone out. I have real people come in here with real problems. I don’t have time to hold someone’s hand because they want to fit in some damn little Atlantic stewardess’s uniform. Go!”

Sam took my arm and then wrapped his arm around my waist as I sat up. I swung my legs off the table and stood up. The world rocked for a little bit before it settled back down.

“We are going out to Alfonzos over on one thirty fourth before I let either of you ladies go back to wherever you are staying.” Sam was guiding me toward the door.

Donna pointed back toward the plane. “Our luggage is still there. I’ll go find someone to make sure it gets home. Sam, you still live up on Twins Addition?”

“I’m still there. My luggage has my name and address on it. Tell delivery to drop it in the lobby.” Sam had stopped as he was talking to Donna.

“Why don’t we go back and get our luggage? Seems the simplest solution.” I tried to push Sam off in the direction of the plane.

He looked at Donna and she nodded okay. “Fine. Then it’s Alfonzos and dinner. Momma Severto will make us a meal that will make your stomach thank you.”

We picked up our suitcases, found a cab, and Alfonzos in that order. Sam was right, the food was great but better than Tricks? I didn’t think so. We were enjoying the meal when Donna’s cell phone rang.

Tentatively I answered it. “Bridget.”

“Listen, Bridget, I’ve been thinking. I need to see this operation you have talked about. When can I see it?”

I thanked god for Robert’s lust for money as I worked a plan through my mind. “They aren’t letting any outsiders in. I’ll have to fly you down or meet you in Houston and then take you out to the location. I have a day off tomorrow. Does that fit your schedule?”

“Well, I had hoped for a little quicker than that. I guess if that’s the earliest you can arrange a looksee.”

Robert must really be cooking if he wanted a look tonight. I could visualize Jim still setting up the location as I was talking. “Can you meet me at Clear Lake Airport north of Houston at ten tomorrow morning?”

“Does that airport take private jets? I’ll see if my pilot knows it.”

Jim told me we were working on a four hour window. He would have the business operation up and going first as that was the easiest part. The location would be up and drilling at twelve noon tomorrow. By tomorrow evening the whole operation would be nothing but a ghost in someone’s imagination.

“It’s big enough to accept private jets. I’ll meet you there at ten and we will go down and look over the company offices. If agreeable then we will go look at one of the test locations where they are running drill string.” I had no idea what I was talking about. I hoped Robert didn’t either. Lies and deception are a house of cards. One mistake or one little light of truth and everything comes tumbling down.

“Ten, Houston time?”

“Yes, central or Houston time. Ten o’clock.” Was Robert buying what I was shoveling or was he going to smell a rat?

“I’ll be there.”

There was a click and my phone went dead. I remembered Robert seemed to be able to talk on the phone for hours about nothing to women customers. I hoped that because he was short with me it didn’t mean he was baiting me while I was trying to bait him.

Sam looked at me with a puzzled glance. “Houston, location, private jets, company offices? What are you into Bridget?”

Donna reached over and laid her hand on Sam’s arm. “Listen Mr. Nosey, people who poke their nose in other peoples’ business shouldn’t be surprised when it’s cut off. Bridget has a life other than flying hostess. If you want to know about other peoples’ affairs, why don’t you come over to my apartment tonight and I’ll let you in on my deepest darkest secrets?”

Sam tried not to, but he couldn’t stop it from coming, he started laughing. “Donna, love of my life, you don’t have any deep dark secrets. You are an open book. If I wanted to know about any of your unusual excursions, I would buy a supermarket tabloid and read about you.”

“Sam, you know what your problem is? You don’t take me serious enough. Just for that I’m not telling you any of my secrets. Bridget being my friend isn’t telling any either. So there mister smarty pants, you blew it by being so uppity.” Donna ducked her head and gave me a wink Sam couldn’t see.

I had no idea if these two were brother and sister or not? They sure needled each other like siblings.

Sam was right about the food. The problem was, I felt like a stuffed turkey by the time we left the restaurant. I ate more than two grown men would. Sam kept looking at me wondering where it was all going. He didn’t know I was wondering the same thing, but it sure felt nice and wonderful down there by the time we split up outside the restaurant and took separate cabs home.

My cab dropped me at the curb and left after I paid him. I waved at the gargoyles up on the parapet before I walked in the building. One of them waved back.

“What are you thinking?” Garmon shook his head.

“I like her.” Grimcost looked about nonchalantly.

“Mr. Logan said we could sit here as long as we didn’t wave to the guests. You are going to get us banished to the back of the building.” Garmon was certain their days were numbered.

“Bridget is not a guest. She’s a nice girl and I like her and she tells us stories. I’m going to go over to her window and see what she’s doing.” Grimcost spread his wings and stepped off his post.

“That girl is nothing but trouble.” Garmon followed his friend over to Bridget’s apartment.

I was already working on how to get down to Houston before I ever walked in the lobby of Deity Arms. Horace looked up from behind his desk as I pulled my suitcase through the front doors. “Good evening Bridget. It’s good to see you home again.”

“Thank you Horace. It feels good to be home. I’m afraid it is only for a few hours though. I need to get up and fly to Houston after a few hours sleep.”

“I know. Mr. Logan has arranged for a private jet. It will max out your BankAmericard though. You will want to be there before six to familiarize yourself with your business Miss Tonue. Then a few minutes before ten, your private jet will take off and come back to land a few minutes after Robert and Nancy arrive. I’ll have Mr. Luk give you a wakeup call at three A.M. You can catch up on part of your sleep on the flight to Houston.” Horace was watching for a reaction from me.

“Morgan...”

“Morgan had nothing to do with this Miss Tonue. Mr. Logan offered to get you in position is all. He won’t help with selling the idea to Robert Drake. Scheduling the private jet was Mr. Logan’s contribution to your plans.”

I set my suitcases down and walked up to the mountain of a man in front of me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. “Thanks Horace. Tell Mr. Logan I appreciate the help.”

He hugged me back as he whispered in my ear. “Three is going to come awfully early. I suggest you get a little sleep before then.”

I backed up and picked up my suitcases. “You are right.”

I was wired as I was thinking of what tomorrow might bring. After I laid out my clothes and repacked my bags for the trip I was thinking I would never sleep after a bath. I was wrong. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

Deity Arms Separator

“Miss Tonue, please wake up Miss Tonue.”

I licked my lips and spit my hair out of my mouth. “Thank you Mr. Luk. I’m awake. Is it time already? Seems as if I just closed my eyes.”

“Yes ma’am. Are you awake enough to get up if I leave now?” He had moved over by the door away from the bed.

“I think so. Would you mind waiting in the other room for a few minutes? If I’m not out in a few minutes come back in and get me.” I tried to keep my eyes open but they wouldn’t co-operate.

“Certainly, no problem Miss Tonue.” He closed the door behind him as he stepped out of the room.

I made it, but I don’t know how. I slipped out of bed and into nylons, bra, slip, a lurlux, shimmering red dress that hugged every curve of my body. I added five-inch red patent leather heels. The front of the dress was a bustier style with a deep plunging vee. The short hem was thigh high. Robert liked his women to be almost dressed and I was. There was a whole lot more of me out of that dress than there was in it. I was positive if I bent over my breasts would fall out. I had repacked my necessities in a matching red patent leather purse.

I picked up my cosmetics case and overnighter. I would be back tonight either very, very broke or maybe on my way to being very rich. Robert and I were going to trade wealth if I had my way. I was going to take everything he owned the same way he did... Actually it wasn’t me he screwed. He stole everything from Jerry. I looked in the mirror before I left the room. I definitely was no longer Jerry. Look out Robert, here comes Bridget and she’s gonna do to you what you did to Jerry.

Mr. Luk carried my case down to the cab. Before sliding in, I waved to the gargoyles. All four of them were up there this time. “Wish me luck guys.” I slid into the cab without hearing them answer.

“Good luck Bridget,” Grim responded as she slid into the cab.

“Good luck Bridget,” Mr. Logan had his hands behind his back as he watched from inside the foyer.

“Goes for me too.” Horace reached up and put his right arm around Logan’s right shoulder.

Horace took a deep breath and sighed. “We aren’t going to help?”

“No my friend, we don’t help. Bridget does this by herself. Win or lose, she’s on her own. No magic, no gentle persuasions in someone’s ear, no cheating. I hope she accomplishes what she’s going after.” Mr. Logan turned and walked back into his office.

“So do I.” Horace watched the taillights of the cab disappear into the night.

The cab took me out to a private jet. We were soon airborne headed toward Houston. I was asleep before the wheels left the runway.

The squeal of tires on the runway woke me. I looked at my watch as I ran my tongue across my lips to moisten them. “Houston?”

“Yes Miss Tonue,” came from the pilot up front.

We wheeled up to a hanger. There was a pickup waiting out front. It had big Core Bore Drilling Company signs on the sides. I recognized Jim Castle in the pickup. I dropped the landing door before the wheels on the jet stopped rolling. “Thank you for the ride Captain. Do I need to sign for the fare now or what’s the plan?”

“Sign for it when you get back to New York Miss Tonue. I’ll be here waiting for you at nine thirty. We will take off and come back after Mr. Drake’s jet lands or that’s the information I was given,” came from the cockpit.

“That’s the plan so far. Thank you Captain. I’ll see you in a few hours then.” I stepped down off the plane and headed for Jim’s pickup.

Jim was shaking his head as I opened the passenger door and tossed my purse up in the seat before I climbed in. I never realized a pickup was so high up off the ground before. I literally had to step up on a railing and then step up into the pickup. “It’s a long ways up to the seat in this puppy.”

“Fasten your seatbelt Miss Tonue. I don’t need a ticket. It isn’t the cost of the ticket I mind. We don’t have time to stop and gossip. Your Core Bore Drilling Company is getting the finishing touches as we speak.”

Jim broke the speed limit as he headed north of Houston. It was a short time later that we pulled up in front of a spiffy new building with a sign out front and another huge sign on the front of the building. Core Bore Drilling Company was the name. There were a couple of dozen new cars and trucks out front with Core Bore Drilling Company signs on them.

I couldn’t believe it could happen in two days. “How did you manage this?”

“There are two things that make things happen in this world Miss Tonue, money and knowledge. Money wasn’t a problem and I know people who know where and how to make almost anything happen. The vehicles are all from a dealership. They can’t be traced with tags once this day ends. The building belongs to a company that has no idea we are using it for one day. If anyone comes back here after today wanting to know who was here and where they went, no one will know. The people, the equipment, virtually everything will be gone by five. You are the owner of a one day business only.”

He stopped the pickup in front of the building. “Come on in and get acquainted with your employees Miss Tonue.”

“Jim, you and I were friends a long time. I never remember you calling me Mr. Rands. I would appreciate it if you would stop calling me Miss Tonue and call me Bridget.” I opened my door to step out of the truck.

Jim met me at the front of the pickup. He gave me the once over which left nothing out. “If I remember right, Jerry never dressed like you do. I think I would remember something like that. If you don’t mind I’ll call you Miss Tonue and so will your employees. When your fish shows up he will be a little more impressed as everyone addresses you in a more formal, respectful manner. I remember Robert real well. He’s an egotistical bastard. I never did understand why Jerry ever hooked up with him.”

Jim held up his hand before I could say anything. “Let me finish my little speech since we are soul cleansing here. I checked on Robert after your visit. Overnight, Robert became worth a small fortune. Jerry has disappeared and he owes a small fortune in debt. I can swallow all of that up to a point. Robert screwed Jerry and ran with Jerry’s live in. The problem was, Jerry’s live in was Robert’s wife. Kelli was Nancy Drake two months before she went to work as Kelli Stalwart. She never worked for the IRS but was an accountant for National Cable for a few years.”

Jim shook his head. “If you are Jerry, then I’m the president of the United States. However, since you plan on getting even for what Robert did to Jerry then I’m in. I hated that son of a bitch before I learned what he had done to my friend. What I feel now is way beyond hate. If your scheme doesn’t pull him in then he had better be making out his will. If I decide what Robert did caused Jerry’s death in any way, I’ll ask a friend to settle the score.”

I knew Jim was a friend but the depth of his friendship with Jerry was beyond comprehension. Would Jerry have done the same if the situation had been reversed? I honestly couldn’t answer that. I started to give Jim a kiss.

He saw it coming and held out his hand to hold me back. “Not that I don’t relish your kisses Miss Tonue, but I’m not allowed right now. You are undoubtedly the prettiest woman I laid eyes on. Any man would have to be insane or gay to not want to hold you in his arms or be kissed by you but we are strictly business for the rest of the day. Maybe tomorrow I’ll ask you for a date. Not today.”

“I’m sorry Jim. I didn’t mean to be so forward. It’s hard for me to adjust to being Bridget. I get emotional so easily now.” I stepped away out of his space.

“We are wasting time Miss Tonue. Let’s go check out your business. Then we need to drop over by your shop before going out to your location where they are punching down a well with your new invention.” He motioned toward the door as he was talking.

At nine we were headed back to the airport. Jim used a drive thru to pick us up some breakfast before dropping me off at the plane. The jet had Core Bore Drilling Company signs on the fuselage in front of the engines. I slid up into the co-pilot’s seat after getting an okay from the pilot. He was listening to air traffic. When it was mentioned that Robert’s jet was a hundred miles out, we took off. We made a loop sixty miles out and headed back.

Robert’s jet had pulled up to the hanger where Jim had parked earlier. Now there was a big stretch limousine in his place. It had Core Bore Drilling Company on its side. I had no idea how much all this was costing me. Mike had been right when he said it would take everything and max out my credit cards. And that wasn’t going to cover the cost by a long shot. I was going to be paying for this until the day I died if Robert didn’t take the bait.

Our jet pulled up beside Robert’s jet. The limo driver walked up and opened the landing door. I stepped out carrying my red shoulder purse and an attaché case hoping I looked like everything Robert ever dreamed of in a woman.

When the limo driver saw me, a shocked look crossed his face but he quickly recovered. He tipped his hat and then held up his hand in assistance. It was a thick British accent when he spoke, “Miss Tonue, good to see you again. I hope you had a pleasant trip?”

I glanced at his nametag. “Yes it was pleasant enough Seth. Kind of boring but I had the Core Bore numbers faxed to me on a secure line this morning. It seems it’s working a lot better than everyone thought.”

“Yes Miss Tonue, I’ve heard rumors to that effect.” He walked over to the limo and opened the door.

“You’ve heard rumors? I’ll have to check into this. It’s totally unacceptable someone is leaking out information about our operations before we go public.” As I looked in the limo I realized it was wasted dialog. Robert hadn’t deplaned yet.

The landing door on Robert’s jet was opening. I put my left hand on the door frame Seth was holding open as I reached up with my right hand and adjusted my hair. I never looked as I heard someone stepping off Robert’s jet, but it was time for a little more pizzazz. I twisted around as I leaned over and ran my hand up the back of my right leg. “Thank goodness, I thought I had a run in my nylons.”

“Probably caused by not shaving your legs,” was the sarcastic remark behind me.

I recognized the voice as I straightened up and turned around to greet her. “You are probably right Ms. Drake. So good to see you again.”

“And you too Mr. Drake.” Robert was behind Nancy with his eyeballs hanging out. I was elated to notice the red dress and heels had the desired effect on Robert’s weak little mind.

I backed up from the limo. “Please, after you.”

Nancy stepped into the limo and tossed another barb in the process. “But of course. We should be first.”

The only thing that kept me from strangling that woman was the idea I was going to hurt her a lot worse if I was nice and she agreed along with Robert to buy into my scheme.

The ride out to the office gave me an opportunity to prime Nancy and Robert with the graphs, charts, and numbers Jim had made up for me. Jim gave me the basics but I was winging it from the word go. I pulled out a projected cost analysis, and income graph. “My manager tells me our venture is working out much better than expected which is unusual for an initial pilot project. If we stick to selling our design to the oilfield and water well drilling companies the graph you are holding represents the projected cost verses the projected income factoring in material increases over a five-year period.”

Robert nodded as he looked at the graph. “That’s unbelievable. You are projecting a hundred thousand percent income the third year.”

“Yes, I know the figures are low. My engineers plotted the conservative estimates due to unforeseeable events such as a slowdown in the economy, recession, drop in energy costs, and worldwide market glut of oil and gas as our equipment becomes available globally.” I sighed in disgust. “Sometimes it can be too much of a good thing.”

I handed Robert some more graphs. “My engineers went on to widen our projected distribution base from oil, gas, and water drilling to thermal energy resources. As you can see, as an energy glut of oil and gas floods the market, our secondary sales to thermal energy resources becomes our mainstay in the drilling business.”

Reaching into my attaché case I pulled out a thick folder and handed it over to Nancy. “We will have to diversify to keep from shooting ourselves in the foot with our own design. My engineers came up with a plan to put a thermal energy source in every commercial building which has more than two hundred thousand square feet.”

I put my fingers together absentmindedly as I spun my web of lies. “Our drilling equipment is so versatile we can set up in the basement of any commercial building and drill a hole twenty thousand feet into the ground. We drop a pipe loop into the hole and hook it up to a thermal generator. We pump a silicone-based fluid down into the pipe loop and get back steam. That drives the thermal generator which provides electricity, heat, and air conditioning for the building. Every commercial building becomes a steady source of residual income as they purchase the equipment and buy our service contract. We replace the utility companies. Even the nuclear power plants can’t compete with what we will be providing.”

“What about residential customers?” Robert jumped on the idea he could be the power king of the world if he bought into Core Bore Drilling Company before it became public. He wanted more. He wanted the world, not just the commercial businesses.

My mind faltered for a second. I hadn’t planned on explaining individual home power plants. I started to say it would be the same in smaller size but really it wouldn’t. I was scared I would give Robert a lie he could see through and it would be all over. “Uh, but of course. My engineers looked at the aspect of selling energy to individual homes. It wasn’t feasible with the equipment we have.”

Robert looked disappointed. He wanted more than a slice. He wanted the world. “You have no plans for residential power plants then?”

“I didn’t say that. It has to be like a block of houses going on the same system rather than individual homes.” I brought up my old reserve of coffee, tea, or me smile, as I struggled to grind a plan out of my mind.

“We looked at the aspect of individual homes and the numbers couldn’t be justified. However if we could talk owners into going in as a collective on each square block, the concept would be... uh... a doable situation.” If one holds a lie up and looks at it, the transparency becomes evident. Like cobwebs over a window, lies have no substance.

Robert’s eyes lost their focus as his mind fed his ego. He could visualize himself becoming the most powerful man in the world. He would be controlling everyone’s lives through energy supply. If people wanted to stay comfortable, they would have to buy Robert’s energy plan. Of course there was one little hitch. So far it was not Robert’s business. He knew he would soon rectify that little glitch.

Nancy knew that look also. She was bound and determined to squelch Robert’s ambitions. “Honey, this is all speculation. The lady hasn’t shown us anything yet besides a few paper ideas. This is nothing more than a wild idea. She has shown us nothing Robert.”

Robert was brought back to earth by Nancy’s doubts. He held up the sheets I had given to him. “My wife is right. Not much here besides pretty numbers on a sheet of paper.”

My mind was going into overdrive. Do I tell Robert I didn’t care if he bought in, or should I ask him to think about it? “Mr. Drake, you are right and I certainly don’t blame you for being suspicious. The whole idea sounds preposterous. Why don’t we turn around and take you back to your plane? You can forget this whole day ever happened.”

I turned my attention toward the driver. “Seth, please take Mr. Drake back to his plane.”

“Certainly Miss Tonue.” Seth pulled the limo over to the side of the road and stopped as he prepared to go back to the airport.

Silently I was dying. Thanks to Nancy, Robert didn’t swallow the bait. I would be paying for this for the rest of my life and then some.

“Uh, Seth is it? I’ve changed my mind. Take us on out to Core Bore offices.” Robert was looking at the charts again. His curiosity had got the better of him. He wanted to see if this item was real and what this technology was.

“Miss Tonue?” Seth was waiting for me to okay the second change in plans.

“I guess. Okay, take us to headquarters Seth.” My heart was pounding as I tried to put a disgusted look on my face.

“Mr. Drake, my time is too valuable to be running aimlessly about. You wanted this meeting not me. I canceled a lot of appointments and changed plans to accommodate you and your wife. If you aren’t serious enough to look at our operation, please let me know now and we will go back to the airport. I need to see other people who are willing to throw their financial weight behind this business to get it into worldwide production.” By now I was positive Robert was hooked. I wanted to make sure he understood that next time he hesitated, someone else would step in and take up the golden opportunity to invest.

Nancy leaned over and wrapped her hands around Robert’s right arm. “Let’s go home hon. I don’t think we need to look at this, whatever it is.”

Robert’s eyes were fixated on the papers as he was counting his billions from his investment. “No, let’s take a look first. We owe it to Bridget to at least look at it.”

Nancy glared daggers at me. She had the five hundred and sixty one million they stole from Jerry and Hot Topics. She was positive she didn’t want to invest it even if it made her more money then she could count. “I’m sure we don’t owe Bridget anything.”

Nancy sat back in the seat sulking as Robert stared at the graphs and discussed percentages with me.

Seth turned off the highway into the Core Bore Drilling Company parking lot. Everything from the brand new pavement we were driving on to the brand new cars and trucks with Core Bore Drilling signs on them spoke of money and lots of it. The brand new building gleamed in the noon sun. People were busy coming and going from the building. Others were busy inside.

Seth parked the limo in front, got out and opened our door. “Miss Tonue.”

“Thanks Seth. I slid out and waited for Robert and Nancy to catch up as I straightened my skirt and checked my hem–all for the benefit of Robert of course. “You wanted to see me... my operations.”

Nancy glared daggers at me a second time. “He’s married… bitch! Turn off the estrogen.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to imply I was trying to hustle your husband Ms. Drake.” I looked hurt she could accuse me of such a thing.

Robert took Nancy by the arm. “Don’t ruin this before we get a chance to see what it is, or I’ll ship you off to China as a slave girl.”

Nancy picked up the pace as she and Robert headed for the office. “Don’t you threaten me you bastard. I was the one who managed to get all his records so you could move his money.”

Robert looked sharply at his wife. “Later dear. Let’s discuss our business affairs in private instead of out here in front of the whole world.”

As we stepped into the office of mass confusion, a man wearing Core Bore Drilling Company on his jacket met us. He held out his hand to Robert. “I’m Ed Reach. You must be Mr. Drake? Miss Tonue said she was bringing someone by to look us over.”

I rolled my eyes as I looked at Jim shaking hands with Robert. Ed Reach indeed.

Ed held onto Robert’s hand. “I’m afraid there isn’t a whole lot to explain here. This is our main office. The staff does all the contacts and financial dealings here. Our machine shop is down the road a half mile. Come on back to my office and I’ll get one of the contracts for you to look over. Then we will head over to the machine shop and look at the core bore itself. Quite a revolutionary idea to say the least.”

Ed put his hand up on Robert’s shoulder and led him down the hall to the back of the building. They passed a couple of dozen offices jammed with people, computers, faxes, ringing telephones, copiers, and high end color copiers and printers. The place was a veritable anthill of production.

A man was in Ed’s office talking on the phone as they walked in. He motioned to Ed he would be through in a minute. “No, we have the financial capital to carry us for another week. You tell them they must have the financial papers drawn up by Monday or they are out of the picture. I don’t give a shit if they don’t want to move that quickly. Listen, I have a dozen more companies wanting in and they will be knocking on my door come Tuesday. Your clients want in then they better have the five hundred million transferred by Tuesday.”

He hung up as he looked up at Ed. “Sorry, I thought you were gone to the shop. It was Jack Silvers; he said Canadian Bank and BankOne wanted to wait until Wednesday to look over the test from the location you are drilling.”

“Monday? Tuesday? When is Core Bore going public? I thought it would be a few weeks yet?” Robert looked at the man who had been on the phone.

“We have the okay from Securities to launch our offering on Monday. Seems as if information has been leaking out about our project and everyone is tossing money in our direction wanting in. And by the way, who are you?” The man looked at the newcomer standing beside Ed.

Ed shook his head as Robert started to answer. “He’s a friend of Miss Tonue, just passing through. Miss Tonue had to stop at the office for a second. He is only visiting.”

Ed picked up a briefcase by the desk and ushered Robert out the door.

“Tell Miss Tonue’s friend he isn’t to repeat anything he heard here. That is privileged information and not to be repeated.” The voice drifted through the door behind them.

Ed urged all of us out the door as he brought Robert back up front. “Let’s go over to the shop. This is getting out of hand. If Mr. Drake buys any of the company and Securities and Exchange gets wind of this, we could end up in prison for insider trading.”

All of us slid into the limo for the short ride over to the machine shop–another new building with a fancy Core Bore Drilling Company sign on the front. There was a heavily armed guard who met us inside the front entry. “Miss Tonue, Ed, who are your friends?”

Ed stepped up in front of the guard. “It’s okay Bill. These are guests of Miss Tonue.”

Bill looked doubtful for a few seconds. “I guess it’s okay.”

Ed took us to the back part of the shop where there were rows and rows of tubing, heavy machinery, test equipment and large spools of electric cable, steel cable, and motors stacked all over the shop. Men were busy everywhere as Ed took us over to where a man was plugging some wires into the upper end of a cylinder approximately ten feet long and two feet in diameter. It had fins on the sides. There was a drilling bit on the other end.

I counted a couple dozen men in that shop. All of them had on bright red coveralls with Core Bore Drilling embroidered on the back. I could see thousands of dollars in uniforms, much less what all that equipment might have cost. I was going to be paying for this for a mighty long time.

The man by the cylinder looked up at Ed. “I’ve finished this one. We will be able to make them smaller with the new motors. Just a sec and you can see it run.”

He walked over to the bench and plugged in the wire leading from the cylinder. Flipping a switch, a high pitched whine filled the air as the bit on the opposite end begin to spin.

Ed leaned over toward Robert. “The whole concept is built on the idea of drilling with a revolving bit on the end of a stationary guide. If you ever saw a drilling rig you know they need lots of pipe, lots of men, and big rigs to drill an oil well. With Core Bore we send a self-guided bit into the ground attached by an electric cable. The new permanent magnet motors are powerful enough to make this technology work and we are the only ones who have this right now.”

Ed put his arm over Robert’s shoulder and pulled him in closer as if he was an old friend sharing a secret. “Before when using the old way of drilling, it took several million to drill a six thousand foot hole whether it was productive or not. With this invention we can drill a hole for less than a hundred thousand. Dry hole, wet hole we don’t care. We will be drilling down to twenty thousand feet and tapping into earth’s thermal core. If we hit gas and oil along the way and it still pays to move it to the surface we will do so, but I wouldn’t put any of my money in oil royalties from now on. Oil is going to be good for lubricating your door hinges in a few years as thermal energy and electricity will be the thing that makes the world turn.”

“Let’s go out to the location. I will show you how it works.” Ed moved us toward the door and the limo.

I don’t remember all the BS Jim (Ed) was pumping into Robert and Nancy on the drive, but it was good. I was ready to buy a few thousand shares of Core Bore myself. Seth pulled into a location that had a couple of dozen buildings, a huge drilling tower, and miles of pipe stacked by the tower. That wasn’t counting the batteries of tanks and the large sludge pit off to the back.

Ed pointed toward the equipment and the couple of dozen men in front of the car. “This is how it’s done the old way. The logistics of moving all the equipment and men in to this place before they even begin to drill is a huge, hundred thousand dollar expenditure. Then they will sit out here for four months to a year and half, drilling a hole whether it’s dry or not. That’s millions of dollars of expense, and finally they have to pick all this up and move it to another location to do it all over again. That costs another hundred thousand or more.”

“Let’s go out to our site driver.” Ed turned his attention back to Robert and Nancy and ran the comparison costs between our Core Bore operations and the operations we had witnessed.

At the location, Seth parked about fifty yards back from a small drilling rig mounted on the back of a huge truck. Ed continued to carry the ball for me as he put his arm over Robert’s shoulder after we stepped out of the limo. Ed pointed off toward the rig with his left hand. “Look at the small black line going down into the hole. That’s the power line feeding the electric motor at the other end of that bore. They started this two weeks back and they are down to eleven thousand feet now. We leased this site for test only. Most of the wildcatters wrote this section off as unproductive years back.”

Ed waved a man over. Again the guy was wearing red coveralls with Core Bore Drilling embroidered on the back. “This is Carl, our tool pusher and geological engineer. What do the tailings look like?”

“Ed, I think we might bring one in. Heavy petroleum spotting in the tailings. Sure looks like we might be flooded with oil. I hope not. I would rather not mess with it before we reach twenty thousand and do our thermal test... Uh oh...” The man looked frightened.

“What?” Robert jumped and Ed stepped off to the side.

The ground started trembling. I was thinking earthquake.

“GET IN THE CAR!” Ed was screaming to make himself heard over the terrible roar coming from the direction of the well.

All of us dove for the car as a jet of black stuff blew up out of the hole pushing a cylinder before it. The cylinder few up in the air and embedded itself in the ground less than fifty feet from the car.

“Seth, get us the hell out of here. One spark and this whole place will look like Dante’s Inferno.” Ed had his face pressed to the side window watching as a black oil plume poured out of the hole and into the drilling tower of steel above it.

Seth had traveled a mile down the road before Ed looked over at me. “I’m sorry Miss Tonue. I know you didn’t want to hit any oil. There wasn’t supposed to be any there. Carl will get it capped with a Christmas Tree and get to drilling again in a couple of weeks or so.”

“A couple of weeks? Ed, our investors won’t wait a week. This is going to be a problem with the Securities and Exchange people. We promised them a thermal well by the end of the week, not an oil well. I don’t know how we can keep our financial base going until our thermal well is finished. I hate to tell you this, but I’m out of funds. My bank has told me they won’t loan me any more until they see some results.” I was distraught as I wrung my hands together.

Robert looked over at Nancy. He had been handed the opportunity of a lifetime. “Bridget, maybe I might be able to help.”

Nancy looked back at Robert. The same idea had struck her too. “We can help.”

Puzzled I looked up. “I don’t see how.”

“I can give you that needed operating capital for ninety six percent of your company.” Robert had a gleam in his eyes like a cat in the cream.

I was surprised he didn’t ask for the whole company but I didn’t tell him that. “Ninety six percent...? No, it’s not possible. This company will be worth billions in a few months. All I need is half a billion to keep it going until we bring up the thermal well.”

“From where I sit you seem to have run out of options Bridget. Unless you sell to me, you are going to lose it all. I’m not that cold or insensitive, I’ll let you keep four percent.” An evil smile crossed his face as he knew he had me.

“Ed...?” I looked over at Ed for help.

“I’m afraid he’s right Miss Tonue. You are going to lose it all. The finance people will shut you out without a good day to you.” Ed shrugged his shoulders in resignation.

I was a beaten woman. I had lost a billion dollar company when I was so close to having it all. “All right then, but we must have an immediate influx of funds or you will have nothing also. We need five hundred million to keep this company from closing its doors.”

“I have three hundred and sixty million in liquid funds. You sign the company over to me now and I’ll write you a check.” Robert knew he had won. He was pulling a checkbook out of his pocket.

Nancy looked doubtful. “Robert, that’s most of our money. Are you sure about this?”

“Sure I’m sure. In a month you can count billions instead of millions.” He was ecstatic.

Ed opened up the briefcase he had retrieved from his office. “When I planned on writing up a contract, this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. Mr. and Ms. Drake you are about to own ninety six percent of Core Bore Drilling Company and the world’s next energy source.”

Ed filled out a contract and handed it to me. “Miss Tonue, I know this hurts. You would have lost everything if Robert hadn’t bailed you out. At least you get to keep four percent this way.”

“And that is supposed to make me happy?” I took the contract and signed it.

Robert reached for the contract and Ed pulled it back. “The check Mr. Drake.”

“Sure.” Robert wrote out a check for three hundred and sixty million dollars and handed it to Ed as he took the contract with his left hand.

Robert showed the contract to Nancy where they owned Core Bore Drilling Company. “We are rich beyond our wildest imagination.”

Nancy held out her hand as she visualized the diamonds, rubies, and other jewels dripping off her fingers. “I can imagine a lot.”

The ride back to the airport and jets was in dejected silence on Ed’s and my part. Robert and Nancy went on and on about all the money they were going to have in a month or less. They never acknowledged Ed and I existed as they climbed aboard their jet and it took off.

I watched the jet leave the runway before I turned around, threw my arms around Jim’s neck, and wailed. “I’m ruined. They stole my company.”

Jim could feel me shaking. He pushed me back to see if I had lost my mind and was crying. I was dying laughing. I leaned up and gave Jim a kiss on the lips he wouldn’t ever forget.

“I can never repay you for what you did. Can you get those funds transferred before they figure it out?”

Jim looked over at our driver Seth. “Pete, you get that money moved yet?”

Pete stood up and took off his chauffeur’s cap and jacket. “As of about three minutes ago Mr. Drake has a zero bank balance.”

Reaching down to the company sign on the limo, Pete slid his fingers under the edge and peeled it off. “I quit. Miss Tonue, I want you to know I loved working for you. You are the best employer anyone could want but I refuse to work for Mr. Drake. The man is a mean bastard and besides that he’s broke. I’m going back to my old company.”

Pete walked around the car and pulled the company sign off the passenger side.

As Pete walked back around to get in the car, I met him and held out my hand. “Pete, it’s Bridget. I thank you for everything you did for me.”

Pete looked down at my hand and then back into my eyes. “Bridget, I want one of them hugs you gave Jim. I’ve never held a beautiful woman who looked like you. I want to know what it’s like.”

I laughed before I leaned into Pete and wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a heartfelt hug. He put his arms around me and pulled me in softly and gently as he hugged me back.

“Thanks for your help Pete.” I remembered from being around Jim and his crew that they were rock solid hard working men who would give you their last dime. They never sidestepped a meaning or feeling. If they liked you, they were your friend for life. If they didn’t like you, they would never be your friend. Unlike Cal Baker, Pete didn’t have any hidden meaning in wanting to hold me in his arms. Pete really did want to hold a beautiful woman if only for a few seconds.

Pete was grinning ear to ear as he backed up and stared. “You are an awful lot of woman Bridget. You need anything, anytime, anyplace, you call me. I’ll be there.” He slid into the limo and drove off.

Jim shook his head. “Bridget, where do I send your money?”

“Give it back to the people Robert stole it from. I imagine it will take anything that’s left over and then some to pay for what it cost to set all this up. What about that oil well we came from. They going to be able to shut that off and clean it up?”

His eyes danced in amusement as a smile spread clear across Jim’s face. “That oil well was less than three hundred barrels of Saudi Black Crude purchased with your money. Mix in a lot of water, pump it up to a couple thousand pounds, mix in a little oil and send it into a swirl chamber before jetting it out of the casing and it looks like a million gallons of raw oil. Your oil well is an engineering marvel sunk thirty feet down in the ground so it will have the right look and force as it gushes riches up into the air.”

“But… the ground was shaking and all that noise...?” I couldn’t believe Jim and his engineers could fake everything we had left behind.

“Ground shaking was a thumper. It’s a seismograph truck that is designed to shake the ground so the engineers can get echo readings back from deep in the earth. At one time we used dynamite and blew holes in the ground. Now we use thumpers. Jerry didn’t tell you a whole lot about our business did he?” The corners of Jim’s mouth curled up as he knew he had out guessed me.

I closed in on his personal space, put my hands on his shoulders, and looked him in the eye. “Remember six years back on November the eighteenth when you and Jerry went hunting up in Montana near Cold Creek? You and Jerry had been out most of the day walking the woods without seeing a single deer. Lots of tracks but no deer.”

Jim slightly nodded his head. “So? That don’t mean nothing. Jerry told you that much.”

“I’m not finished. About sundown, you made a bet with Jerry you could write your name in the snow in piss and he couldn’t. Jerry said that wasn’t a fair bet as his name had two more letters in it than yours did. You told him to pull out his pecker and write Jer if he could and you would write Jim.”

Jim’s eyes closed to slits as he studied my face. “Jerry told you that too.”

“You pulled your peter out and Jerry started laughing telling you he would be ashamed if that had been his, it was so small. You said it was the cold and it had shriveled up but you could still write your name in the snow. Jerry then did the same and you looked and asked him where all of his went if he had such a big wiener? You started peeing and at that instant both of you looked up. Standing less than twelve feet away in the brush was a twelve point buck with a huge rack. You got so excited as you reached for your rifle you stuck your peter back in your pants and peed all over yourself. You kept pulling the trigger on the rifle as the buck turned and walked off but you forgot to take the safety off. Jerry was laughing so hard, I fell down in the snow and peed all over myself.” I was looking Jim in the eyes and seeing doubt.

He shook his head. “Jerry told you that story.”

“You both made a pact you would never tell the story to another living human being. Do you honestly think Jerry would tell anyone? Would you?” I waited for an answer from my best friend.

“Jerry? My god... Jerry...” Jim looked like I had whacked him with a two by four.

“It’s Bridget now. Are we still best friends? Let’s do it again this fall. Only some things have changed. I’ll bring a camera and a scope to shoot my deer. I don’t think I can shoot any deer with a gun.” I backed up to give Jim a little room.

Still in shock, Jim nodded. “I would like that very much. I’ll bring a camera too. I don’t think I will want to shoot any deer either this time.”

“Jim, I honestly don’t know how I can ever repay you for everything you have done for me. The money from Robert probably won’t be enough to cover the expenses. I really don’t have much anymore. My old software company had to fold when Robert and Kelli... I mean Nancy stole all the money out of it. They cleaned out my personal account at the same time. Send me a bill. I’ll try to pay it. You may have to wait for me to pay it out a little at a time.” I looked over at the jet where someone was removing Core Bore signs off the fuselage.

“It will be a cold day in hell before I send you a bill for getting even with Robert and Nancy for what they did to Je... you. You were a good friend once. I hope that never changed. It’s going to be a little difficult adjusting to the new look you have. Deep down inside I think it’s still the same ol’ Jerry. Take care Bridget Renee Tonue. You call me if you need anything and let’s make a date for that hunting trip.” Jim held out his hand for a handshake.

Handshakes were great for Jerry but I needed more. I closed in and gave Jim a hug. “Soon. We will get together soon.”

I turned and walked over to the jet. As I climbed onboard and was closing the landing door, I looked and Jim was waving bye. I waved back as I heard a familiar voice from the cockpit.

“You want this bird off the ground, you better get up here and drive.”

Squealing, I rushed up to the cockpit to find Donna in the co-pilot’s seat. “What’s going on? Where’s our pilot? How did you get here?”

Donna started bringing the jet to life. “You’re the pilot. The one that flew down here had another job to do. Are you going to talk, or you going to get this bird in the air? You know, Robert could have second thoughts and come back to check over his Core Bore business.”

I slid over into the pilot’s seat and helped Donna bring the jet to life. “You file the flight plan already? Are we legal?”

“Legal as we will ever get with two women playing like jet jocks. Hello Clear Lake Tower, this is Alpha Whiskey Sierra Charlie requesting permission to taxi to the end of the runway for takeoff.” Donna was on the radio

It had been a long time since I had flown out of a small airport like Clear Lake. I had forgotten that they didn’t tell you when to taxi and what taxiway to use. We were quickly airborne. Donna was efficient as she brought up flaps and gear. At thirty one thousand we leveled off headed toward New York.

I turned on the autopilot. “Robert won’t quit looking for me. I know him well enough and he will kill anyone he thinks may have helped me if he can find them. Morgan is in danger for being close to me. Mike will be on Robert’s death list because he was at the fashion show with me. I think Jim can cover his tracks well enough that Robert won’t be able to find out he helped. I need to move out of Morgan’s apartment as everyone in the building is in danger if Robert finds where I live.”

A smile spread across Donna’s face as she glanced in my direction. “Morgan can handle Robert if he goes after her. Mike is in France with Morgan. I sure wouldn’t take any bets Robert could hurt Mike either. You don’t think Jim could be connected with your sting or Robert could ever find him. I agree with that. I guess that leaves you.”

“Yes it does. I’ll move out tomorrow so it won’t endanger the rest of the residents in Mr. Logan’s apartment.” I had no idea where I would go. I figured I could keep moving to stay ahead of Robert.

“You’re moving tomorrow, but it’s on a flight to Saint Louis and then to Chicago and back to New York. I think Mr. Logan would be very upset if you moved out at this time. Plan on hanging around a little longer.” She changed the radio frequency after we were told to switch.

We dropped into New York and parked the jet next to the hanger where I had boarded this morning. I picked up my overnighter and purse as we stepped off the jet. “It felt good to fly again Donna. I forgot how much I enjoyed it at one time.”

Donna put her fingers in her mouth and whistled. A taxi pulled out from inside the hanger. “We will have to do it more often then, won’t we?”

“I’d love to, but on flight attendant’s pay I don’t think it will happen again. Where do I pay for this trip at? The pilot told me he would have a bill for me when we returned.” I looked inside the hanger. There wasn’t an office in there.

I recognized Kemel as the taxi pulled up. “You are always there when we need a ride. Are you that fast, or are there dozens of you who look just like you?”

Laughing, Donna opened the cab door. “You ask too many questions. The company will invoice Jim Castle and he can deduct it out of the money Robert gave him.”

“But...” Before I could complete my sentence, Donna pushed me into the cab.

“Tomorrow morning at eight, your flight to Saint Louis, try and not be late.” She tapped the window by Kemel. We left Donna and the airport behind.

At the apartment, Kemel let me out and then sped off before I could pay him.

“I’m so in debt, I’ll never see daylight again.” I waved at the gargoyles on the roof before I walked into the apartment. “Hi guys.”

Garmon looked down without moving his head. “It’s little Miss Trouble Maker again. Don’t move.”

Grimcost already had his paw up. “But I like her. She’s nice.”

Garmon closed his eyes and shook his head. “You are going to get us fired. Between you and Miss Troubles waving at each other Mr. Logan is going to banish us for sure.”

Inside the door I dropped my cosmetic case. Horace could see it coming as I ran toward him. For the first time he smiled as he held his arms out and accepted me as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“I did it. I made him pay it back. Or everyone else did it for me. I’m sure Donna helped. It’s hard to tell with a leprechaun. Horace, life is so wonderful.”

I wiggled back out of his arms and got serious. “I’m afraid I put you and Mr. Logan, and everyone here in jeopardy by coming back. Donna told me not to worry. I can’t help but worry. Robert is dangerous. He will be willing to kill everyone he thinks may have had a hand in me taking the money back. I will pack my things... I don’t have anything to pack do I? It’s all Morgan’s things and her apartment.”

The tears came unexpectedly and without warning. “I don’t mind now though. I may not have any more than Jerry had, but I gave Robert a taste of the same. I only wish he knew it was Jerry who paid him back.”

Horace started to reach out. I wanted solitude instead and ran for the elevator. I was crying my heart out as I reached the top floor. The lock was difficult through the tears, but I made it. Slamming the door behind me, I ran to the bedroom and threw myself down on the bed as I cried.

“She sure does cry a lot.” Grim had his nose pressed up against the window.

“She’s sensitive and caring; the world is cold and insensitive. It’s a clash of emotions.” Gorm pushed Grim over to the side so he could look in at Bridget crying.

“I think she’s spoiled. She had everything and now she has nothing. She’s crying because she wants it back.” Grim turned his back to the window.

“Did I ever tell you, you have a heart of stone?” Gorm glanced over at Grim in disgust.

“Takes one to know one,” Grim retorted as he looked out across the New York landscape.

Grimcost came in too fast. He hit the ledge and then bounced up against the glass. “Awww, she’s crying. I wanted her to tell us where she’s been. She tells such nice stories.”

Mr. Logan and Horace were standing at the edge of the bed as Bridget cried herself to sleep. She was sobbing in little hiccups as her breathing came in gasps.

“I tried to tell her not to worry. She ran away before I could say anything.” Horace reached down and brushed Bridget’s hair back out of her face.

“She’s had an emotional day. She thinks she has put all of us in danger by her actions. I don’t remember when we had one like her. She’s unique for sure. Morgan made a wise choice in her.” Mr. Logan reached over and picked up one of the tears Bridget had on her cheek. As he held it up it glittered and cast a rainbow of colors though out the room before it disappeared.

“So much emotion in a tiny little tear. Don’t worry Bridget we have plans for Robert and Nancy.” Mr. Logan looked out the window to see four gargoyles looking back in. A hint of a smile touched his mouth. He shook his head as he left the room.

Deity Arms Separator

“How many times are we going to have to go through this? Bridget? Get your butt up out of bed and let’s go. I swear girl, you are going to get both of us fired for constantly being late.”

Licking my lips I raised my head up and looked into an upside down face of Donna. She was bent over looking back into my face. “It’s morning?”

“Yes, and you look like shit! You slept in your clothes. You sure don’t look like someone who managed to get their money back yesterday. Were you out drinking or partying all night?” Donna straightened up and backed away to look for my suitcase and overnighter.

“Donna, I can’t do this anymore. I have to leave before Robert tracks me back to this apartment. You don’t know him like I do. He will kill everyone he thinks had anything to do with him losing his money.” I rolled over and sat up, pushing my hair back out of my face.

“Go take a shower and jump into your uniform. I’ll help you put on your face in the cab. We are definitely going to be late.” She was pulling clothes out of the closet and folding them into the suitcase.

“Donna...” I was trying to make her understand that Robert was not the kind of person they could reason with.

Donna stopped and pointed her finger at me. “Listen to me. Robert is in Clear Lake this morning looking for Core Bore which we both know he won’t find. He is going to go ballistic by the time he drives from the empty office, to the empty shop, and out to the location which will be empty also. I imagine Robert will be on the phone trying to stop payment on the check only to find out the money has already moved out of his account. Not only that, but virtually all the money Robert owned has moved out. That includes the millions he kept in reserve to live on for a week until Core Bore made him a few billion.”

She dropped her hands down to her hips and curled them into fists. “At the location Robert will find a notebook obviously left behind and missed in the haste of cleaning up the site. In that notebook will be names of associates who helped you set up your sting.”

“OH NO! It’s not possible. I didn’t have any such notebook. Who would do that to me? Robert...”

“Of course it’s not your notebook. Robert will believe it is. Fell out of the limo as you and he were inspecting the location yesterday. In the confusion of the well blowout it was dropped and left behind. In a few days, Robert will have traveled over a large part of the country chasing those names and addresses in the notebook–all of them freshly empty like the places he is looking at in Clear Lake. Everything he finds will be pointing back toward New York. Sooner or later he will figure out he will have to start looking here if he’s ever going to find you and get his millions back.”

“I have to end it then. I’ll let him take his hate out on me. I can’t involve anyone else in this. It has to stop before Robert kills someone besides me.” I was headed for the door.

Donna wrapped her hand around my left arm and stopped me. “You innocent, naíve, thing you–Bridget, don’t you understand? Robert has been invited up here. Mr. Logan wants him to come. Jeeze girl, look in the mirror for god’s sake. You think someone who can do what has been done to you is scared of some clown with a gun and a grudge?”

That stopped me in my tracks. Thinking of it rationally, Donna was right. I better than anyone should have thought of it from that angle. I turned and headed for the bathroom and a shower. “Give me five minutes. Did you call a cab?”

I couldn’t believe it when Donna and I walked up to Atlantic’s terminal. Vivian was the one checking boarding tickets. She frowned as Donna and I approached. “Ladies, this has to stop. As usual you are late. What is it about schedules you don’t understand? I imagine this will be your last time flying as hostesses with Atlantic or any other airline. Too many infractions do get one terminated.”

Donna lowered her head. I thought she was crying before she turned her back to Vivian and wiped the tears out of the corner of her eyes. The lines on her face told a different story. She had been laughing instead. I put my arm around Donna’s shoulder to keep her from looking or talking to Vivian as I was praying Donna didn’t giggle out loud.

Donna straightened up as she sniffed and wiped her eyes. She deadpanned as she reached for the duty roster on Vivian’s desk. “Let’s see who is up in first class? Oh dear me, Bridget is on the entertainment schedule for our illustrious crew and passengers.”

Shaking her head, Donna looked at Vivian in amusement. “That girl isn’t on the rotation schedule. I wonder why she never has to take care of those back in coach? I wonder why first class seems to sell more tickets when Bridget is flying? Do you possibly think management has figured out Bridget is drawing in first class fares?”

Donna looked at her watch and sighed. “Bridget is sixteen minutes late... again. That girl has no sense of time. She wastes too much time looking after the passengers, too much time running refreshments up to the pilot and crew, and way too much time is wasted on each individual passenger as they board and later as they get off.”

Slowly Donna raised her head and took a measured look at Vivian. “You really aren’t too bright are you? Or else you would have noticed the same thing everyone else working or flying Atlantic has noticed. Bridget not only sells tickets, she has infected everyone around her with her enthusiasm.”

Donna laid the schedule back on Vivian’s desk. “I wouldn’t be too hasty in filling out that late slip if I were you. Management might think you have a grudge against Bridget. But then you do what you think is best.”

In shock, I followed Donna into the boarding tunnel. “Donna, that’s not fair. Vivian wasn’t the one who was late. I’m sorry for making you late also.”

Picking up the passenger manifest, Donna ran her finger down the list. “Bridget, paying for one’s tardiness doesn’t have to be in pay withheld, shortened working schedules, or job termination. You make your payment in the extra service you provide for passengers and crew. Besides, you haven’t ever had a schedule sheet handed to you, have you? If you think anyone besides Miss Hardnose cares if you are a few minutes late then you are sadly mistaken.”

“Smile hon, we have passengers headed our way.”

The smile was sincere as I looked into the tunnel and heard footsteps. “Welcome aboard Atlantic Airlines sir. I hope you enjoy your flight with us. If there is anything you need, please let me know. May I see your ticket please?”

Atlantic’s Hooters was back to business.

The flight to Saint Louis was quick and a lot of fun. David and Randy were the pilot and co-pilot. Jimmy was the flight engineer. Trish was the stewardess up front with me in first class. We worked our little tails off. Since the flight was short, we didn’t get a chance to get tired. Donna went on with the plane to Albuquerque and then to Las Vegas. I switched planes headed to Chicago.

I had a two-hour layover before heading back to New York on yet another plane. I wasn’t interested in waiting inside the plane. I wandered through the concourse absentmindedly. Most everyone took a second and third look at the Atlantic hostess in her short little pink nothing uniform. One little ten-year-old pointed at me: “Look, a pilot.”

His mother took his hand to lead him on. “No dear that’s not a pilot.”

“Yes she is. She has wings on her chest.” The little boy turned completely around and walked backwards to make sure he was right.

“She is not a pilot. She’s only a waitress.” The mother said it with disgust.

Only a waitress? What’s wrong with being ‘only a waitress’? I had no problem with being ‘only a waitress’. I’d like to see that mother go to a restaurant or ride a train, or ship, or fly without those like me who were ‘only a waitress’. Let her find her own meals, her luggage, help entertain her child when she was too tired to care if he ran wild on the public carrier.

Someone wrapped their arm around my waist and laid their head up over my shoulder as he whispered in my ear. “You’re my favorite waitress.”

Of course I jumped out of my skin. Robert was on my mind as I dropped my purse, grabbed the arm, and was rolling the owner of that arm up and over my shoulder as I leaned forward and dropped to my knees. About halfway through the toss the voice registered in my mind. It was too late to stop him from coming over and landing on his back.

Sam was lying there looking up at me with a stunned look on his face. “Was it something I said?”

Virtually everyone for a hundred feet or more had stopped and was pointing and staring. I was embarrassed to death. I know my face turned beet red.

“I’m so sorry Sam. You startled me. I didn’t mean to hurt you.” I offered my hand to help him up.

Sam rolled over on his side and rested on his elbow as he laid his head down on his left hand. He was looking up at me. “I think I’ll stay here. I don’t want you to hurt me no more.”

“SAM! Get up! People are looking at us.” I wanted to hide my face.

“Not until you apologize.” Sam smiled from ear to ear.

“Okay, I apologize. I’m sorry. Now get up. People are staring.” I was thinking about walking off and leaving him lying there on the floor to get away from the embarrassment he was causing me.

“And a dinner date. Donna said you own a red dress that will make grown men cry and young ones wish they were grown.” Sam waited for me to capitulate to his demands.

I was thinking it had to be the dress I wore yesterday in Texas. It was one of Morgan’s gosh, gee, wow, dresses I had borrowed. “Okay. Now get up and stop embarrassing me.”

“And...”

“SAM!” I started to pick up my purse where I had dropped it.

He jumped up and swept up my purse in his left hand before he held it out to me. “I had a few other demands in mind. As long as I was on the gravy train I was going to milk it for all it was worth.”

I took the purse and slid the strap up on my shoulder. Sam walked off down to where the mother and boy had stopped along with everyone else when I tossed Sam down on the floor.

Sam crouched down where he was eye level with the boy. He pointed toward the wings on his own jacket. “I’m a pilot but you know what? That lady down there your mother called a waitress is more than that. I take care of one job and that’s fly an airplane from one airport to another. She takes care of dozens of jobs. The airplane would never leave the ground if it wasn’t for her and thousands of others like her. She makes sure you have a ticket, she makes sure you have a seat, she makes you and me and all the other people on that plane comfortable. She makes sure you understand what to do if anything goes wrong and she makes sure all of us don’t worry when we feel frightened. And when that plane lands, she makes sure you don’t leave any of your things behind you brought with you.”

Sam stood up as he looked at the young boy. “I’m just a pilot but she’s more, a lot more than that. That lady your mother called a waitress could fly the airplane if something happened to me. I couldn’t do her job if something happened to her. She’s one of our angels in the skies. I wouldn’t want to be up there without her and all those like her.”

Sam took a quick look at the mother before he walked back over where I was standing. He slipped his arm around my waist as he gave me a wink. It had been nothing but dead silence when Sam was giving his speech. A spontaneous applause erupted along with a few cheers and whistles from the crowd around us.

I leaned into Sam as we walked back down the concourse toward our terminal. “I really couldn’t fly your plane you know.”

“That’s not what Donna told me. She said you were a fully-fledged, honest to god jet jockey. She said you could fly anything with wings and a lot of things that didn’t have wings. Donna may be a lot of things, one thing she’s not is a teller of falsehoods.”

“Why aren’t you sitting where I normally sit when that bird takes to the air?” Sam had stopped and turned me so I had to look at him.

I sighed. “Impossible to believe story. The funny part is, I really do enjoy waiting on the crew and passengers. I love my job more than anything I have ever done in the whole wide world and... Everyone should have a job they like as much as I like mine.”

Sam put his fingers under my chin and lifted so I was looking up at him. He bent over and kissed me. I went off the emotional charts as my heart and mind raced into oblivion. I wrapped my arms around him and returned the passion as my whole world stopped in time and space. Seconds? Minutes? A lifetime? Time ceased to exist and there was only... the kiss.

Whistles, hoots, and laughter brought me back to earth as those passing around us, and those who had stopped to watch shouted encouragement.

I pushed back from Sam as my world came back into focus and reality struck home. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean...”

He put his fingers over my lips. “I won’t accept an apology because you did mean it. I mean it too Bridget. I love you with all my heart. Marry me and give me some relief. Twenty-four hours a day, you are all I can think about. I’ve become the world’s worst pilot since the first time I met you. I take off thinking not of the passengers and plane but of you. I land without ever thinking of what I did. I don’t remember if I went through a landing list or not. Ask any of the crew that flies with me. They will tell you I’m not there anymore. They ask me questions and they say I answer, Bridget. They ask me what flight I’m on and I answer, Bridget.”

The tears started. I hid my face on his chest as I cried. I couldn’t involve Sam in my life. I had no life except getting up every day and flying. I owed Morgan, and Logan, and Horace, and Donna, and Jim, and Mike, and dozens of others. I owed them money and Bridget owed them her life. If Robert found me, that would be the end of my life. I knew Robert and he wouldn’t quit until he did find me be it today or ten years from today.

Sam rested his chin on the top of my head as he held me with tender love. “You have my heart, my mind, and my soul Bridget. Please don’t cry. I didn’t mean to hurt you or make you cry.”

“I can’t Sam. I love you too but I can’t. It’s not possible. My life is so messed up I refuse to involve you in my mess. Please don’t ask me again. My heart won’t stand it. I want more than life itself to marry you but I can’t. Please, please, don’t ever ask me again.” I was crying with my face buried in his jacket.

Sam never answered as he wrapped his arms around me and held me in his strong embrace protecting me from my world.

Patti was at the boarding desk when Sam and I walked up. She took one look at me and held out her hand toward me. “Captain, you take over here. Bridget, you come with me onto the plane and let’s straighten up your face.”

I was hustled into the boarding tunnel by Patti. “What’s going on Bridget? Do you want to talk about it?”

“I’m sorry Patti, it’s a personal problem. I have it under control now. I can take care of my makeup.” I was trying to explain as Patti led me to the bathroom.

She didn’t take no for an answer as she helped me clean up my face. She put some eye drops in my eyes to get rid of the redness. “You pregnant? Did Sam tell you to get lost after you told him you were going to have his baby?”

That shocked me. “No, it’s nothing like that. I’ve never been to bed or had sex with Sam... or any man for that matter. It’s...”

“You’re a virgin?” Patti backed up to take a good look at me. Her eyes were two egg whites.

“Well... yes…, I guess I am. Is that difficult to believe?” I wondered why that surprised her.

“Hell yes it’s hard to believe. You have the face, the looks, a body that drives men insane and you haven’t been to bed with anyone. I’m having a hard time swallowing that story. If you aren’t pregnant, what did Sam say that made you cry?” She was rapidly blinking her eyes in disbelief.

“He asked me to marry him.” I rolled my lips in and held my breath to stop the tears I felt coming again.

Patti looked shell-shocked as she stared. Then it hit home and she screamed in hysterics as she held her stomach with her left hand and slapped her right knee with her right. She was laughing so hard, unable to stand; she plopped down on the floor. She finally stopped laughing long enough to stand up. She did okay until she looked at me and that was all it took. She staggered out the of the bathroom laughing.

Billy, our co-pilot stepped on the plane a look of puzzlement on his face as he watched Patti stagger toward him laughing. She looked up, tried to speak, pointed back toward me, and doubled over in hysterics again. She staggered down the boarding ramp like a drunk as she laughed. About every ten feet she would get her laughter under control until she pointed back toward the plane. Then unable to speak, she would start again.

After Patti took over, Sam came onboard with a puzzled look on his face.

I shook my head. “Don’t ask.”

Sam nodded and walked up to the cockpit without saying anything.

I imagine our passengers thought Atlantic had hired the happiest go lucky hostess in the whole world or they thought Patti was crazy. Patti would look at their boarding pass and point back toward the plane and giggle most of the time. Other times she would be talking to them and giggle right in the middle of a sentence. Laughter is infectious. As the passengers boarded the plane, most of them would have a big smile on their faces or they would be laughing, not understanding nor caring why.

I didn’t try to avoid Sam on the flight back to New York. It would only have made matters worse. I had lost my heart to him, but the fact was I didn’t deserve him. He deserved a nice normal relationship with a woman who had an honest to goodness background, not some spook like me. There would be too many complications in a relationship with someone like Sam. I could imagine all the questions I could never answer. “Let’s visit your family Bridget.” “Let’s go to your school reunion Bridget.” “Who was your best friend when you were growing up Bridget?” “Where are your family photos Bridget?” “You were flying for whom and when was that darling?”

At New York I was giving the customary departure speech and the last passenger had deplaned when Sam walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around me. He pulled me back into his chest and rested his chin on my head.

“I’ve given it some thought and decided no is not an option. You’re not married or Donna would have told me. You’re not going with anyone or she would have warned me. You aren’t lesbian. That only leaves one answer.”

He turned me around to face him as he looked into my eyes. “I cannot take no for an answer. That’s too painful for me to contemplate. The only answer that’s possible is yes.”

He studied me as I had nothing to reply. Shaking his head, Sam sighed. “You promised me a date. I’m holding you to your promise. Tomorrow, it has to be tomorrow. I’ll pick you up in the morning at nine.”

“Nine? In the morning? But I couldn’t possibly...” I was running through my mind how we could start a date at nine in the morning?

“I said, ‘no is not an option.’ Where do you live?” He was needing an address to come and get me.

“I don’t know.” I could see doubt register in his eyes and I held up my hand. “I honestly don’t know. The apartment is called Deity Arms. I’ve always taken a cab and never thought much about the streets getting there.”

“Okay, I’ll take a cab. You will wear the red dress Donna was telling me about?” He waited for an answer.

“I haven’t sent it to the cleaners since I last wore it. I’ll check and if it doesn’t have any spots or stains on it then I’ll wear it just for you.” I noticed the crew had gathered up behind Sam to hear our conversation.

“Tomorrow then, it’s a date.” Sam leaned up and gave me a light kiss on the cheek before he walked off the plane.

Billy and the rest of the crew were smiling like kids on the playground who had just seen their first kiss between a boy and girl. I waved my hand in their direction. “It’s only a date. Grow up people.”

Patti walked past me smiling as she nodded in agreement. “Sure, just a date. He asks you to marry him and now he asks for a date. Don’t tell us to grow up. We aren’t the ones who have the situation all turned around backwards. We date and then ask for marriage, not the other way around.”

Billy pointed toward the disappearing Patti. “I agree with her. You and Sam are coming at this from the wrong direction.”

Raising their voices in unison, the rest of the crew agreed. I could only shake my head in disgust as I left the plane.

At the apartment I paid Kemel for the fare. He shook his head when I asked him about the fare for the other times I didn’t pay. After he drove off, I counted my money. It was getting down to nothing. Two dollars and fifteen cents. I gave Jim all the cash Mike had endowed me with in Los Angeles when I set up the sting. I didn’t figure I would get a paycheck from Atlantic–I never filled out an employment form. I was the person who showed up in one of their hostess uniforms, took a flight, and disappeared when it was all over. I needed to find a real job and soon but that was going to be iffy. Anything that paid a decent wage would want a history which was one thing I didn’t have. I still had the credit cards but had no idea what amount was allowed to be charged. Then there was the payback when I used one of those cards.

I took a deep breath and promised I would pick up the help wanted classifieds tomorrow and call all the employment agencies. Sam’s date was interfering with me finding a job. I waved at the gargoyles before I walked in the building. “Hi guys, meet me by the window and I’ll tell you about my day.”

“Don’t answer,” Grimcost whispered out of the side of his mouth.

Garmon looked down as she walked into the building, “But I like her.”

Grimcost looked at his friend. “Weren’t you the one who called her Little Miss Troubles?”

“Yeah, but she’s cute and I still like her.” Garmon backed away from the front and spread his wings. “I’m going over to her window. She promised to tell us a story.”

“Mr. Logan ain’t gonna like this. Wait for me.” Grimcost followed Garmon over to Bridget’s apartment window.

Grim watched them fly by. “What’s up? She’s back isn’t she? Leave room for me, I’m coming too.”

Gorm leaped off the side of the building. “Dibbs on the middle spot.”

Horace was watching as I walked into the building. I walked up to his desk and slid my purse up on top. “Horace, I need a job. You know of any job where they don’t ask too many questions and pay enough to live on?”

“A job? Uh, I thought you had a job as a stewardess for Atlantic Airlines. Is there something wrong with that job? You quit or you don’t like it?” Horace looked puzzled.

“Oh no, I love flying for Atlantic. I couldn’t ask for something I enjoyed more but I need to find one that pays. I have a couple of dollars from what Morgan initially gave me and... well, I’m broke again.”

A serious look crossed his face. “You aren’t...”

“Thinking of suicide? No, the thought never entered my mind until you brought it up. I’m not the suicidal type. Jerry only wanted to because his life was over and prison wasn’t an option.” I shrugged my shoulders.

Relief showed on his face. “I’ll see what can be done. Don’t worry about it Bridget. These things have a way of working themselves out.”

I had to chuckle as I leaned over and gave him a hug. “Easy for you to say, you have a place to call home and a job. Thanks Horace, I’ll go see what my friends know about a job.”

He had his hands on my waist and I felt him hesitate. “Friends?”

“Sure, I’ve told them all about me and they are fun to talk to. I would give them something to eat but I don’t know what they do eat. Well, provided I had anything in my... Morgan’s apartment to eat that is.” I backed up and slid the purse strap up on my shoulder as I moved my hair out of the way.

“You’re talking about the gargoyles?” He was looking to see if he had nailed it.

I nodded yes as I headed for the elevator before I stopped and turned to look at him again. “Sam O’Donald is a pilot for Atlantic. He said he would be by to pick me up around nine tomorrow morning. If he can find the place that is. And provided I’m not flying tomorrow. I guess if he doesn’t show and I don’t fly it will give me time to look for a job.”

Logan stepped into the lobby as the elevator doors closed behind Bridget. Horace turned to look at his old friend. “You heard?”

“Yes, it’s time to send her on. I’ll miss her.”

“Me too. Sometimes being a god isn’t any fun.” Horace sighed centuries of living.

Logan nodded in agreement as he stepped back into his office and closed the door.

Walking into the apartment I saw four noses pressed up against the window. I waved at them as I tossed my purse over into a chair. “Hi guys, wait till I tell you what I did today.”

I raised the window and rubbed one behind the ears with my right hand while I rubbed another under the chin with my left hand. “There was the businessman who boarded in New York and went on to Albuquerque with Donna’s flight. You remember her from my last story. Donna is the Leprechaun I was telling you about. She has the prettiest flaming red hair and the brightest emerald green eyes and...”

Deity Arms Separator

“I’m beginning to believe I am going to spend my life getting you out of bed.”

I opened my eyes to look at those emerald green eyes I was telling the gargoyles about last night. “Hi Donna, morning again? We flying? I need to call Sam and tell him our date is canceled.”

“No, we aren’t flying. Not for Atlantic anyway. Get up and get dressed. You’re leaving.” She picked up a suitcase and opened it up in a chair.

“Leaving? They are throwing me out aren’t they? I can’t blame them. Not my apartment, I’m not paying them anything.” I rolled over and sat up in bed as I pushed my hair back out of my face.

“Take a shower and let’s pack your things. You won’t be back.” Donna walked over to the closet.

“I don’t have anything to pack. These are all Morgan’s things. I’m not even sure if Atlantic’s uniforms are mine. Don’t put anything in that suitcase. The suitcase is Morgan’s too.” I looked around the room. There was nothing there that belonged to me.

Donna took the red dress that I wore to Houston out of the closet. She held it up. “Bridget, look at these clothes. Who do you think besides you could possibly wear these dresses? Morgan? She has a darling figure but it’s not um... She isn’t a forty four, hon. Let’s get you packed with some necessities and the rest can come later. A few dresses, a couple of those damned heels you seem to be able to wear without complaining, and underclothes.”

I was confused as I headed for the shower. Not Morgan’s clothes? But it was Morgan’s apartment. After the shower and drying off, I walked back into the bedroom. Underclothes and the little nothing red dress were spread out on the bed. The front door opened and shut after I finished dressing.

“Bridget, I asked Mr. Luk to carry your suitcases to the cab. You ready?” came from the living room.

Looking around the apartment I picked up the red purse and checked. Donna had moved all the contents from my other purse into the red one. I slipped into the five-inch red heels, smoothed out my skirt, slid the purse strap up on my shoulder, and walked into the room where Donna was waiting.

“You ready?” Donna opened the door.

“I guess. Where are we going?” I followed her out and closed the door and that part of my life behind me.

“Find you someplace to live. Sam called me last night wanting your address. He told me he had a date with you this morning. I kind of canceled your date until tonight. We had to get you moved today. Morgan called and said Mr. Lsuka Quinn is going to meet us at the courthouse in an hour. I believe you have the opportunity to close your option on Hot Topics.”

Donna handed me a PDA and a schedule book before we stepped into the elevator. “Here’s your flight schedule log. I can’t keep coming to get you for every flight. You fly from Atlanta to LAX two days from now. Morgan told the CEO of Atlantic to give you a light schedule because you had a photo op with Fashion Trends, Guys and Dolls, Modeling Designs, and a host of others too numerous to mention. You will be on Good Morning America and the Tonight Show on the eighteenth.”

The elevator opened up. In shock I stepped on as Donna held up her left hand and counted silently on her fingers. “Um... no, yes, yes... Oh, did I mention I talked to Jim Castle? He has your money. Didn’t you say Robert and Nancy stole eighty six million dollars from Jerry? No...? Wonder where I heard that at then? Jim has it. He said he would make sure it was safe this time. No one besides you will be able to get their hands on it.”

Horace looked up and smiled as Donna and I stepped off the elevator. I started crying as I walked over and slipped into his arms.

Donna headed for the door. “I’ll wait in the cab.”

“I wish I didn’t have to go. I’ll never forget you. Thank you for everything.” I cried as I laid my head against the chest of this huge mountain of a man.

He held me in his arms, gently, tenderly. “I’ll never forget you Bridget. It’s been many centuries since I have seen anyone like you. It was kind of you to drop by and share a little of your life with us.”

I rose up on my toes and gave him a kiss, mixed with tears, on the cheek. “I love you Horace.”

Mr. Logan was waiting by the front door. I walked over and wrapped my arms around his neck. “Will I ever see you again?”

Logan put his hands around the back of my head and pulled me in to his chest as he rubbed the back of my neck. “Ever is a long time Bridget. We will have to wait and see.”

Through the tears and sniffles I tried to smell him one last time to lock the memory in my mind. “Forever is a long time. Please don’t wait forever.”

I backed up and then leaned up to kiss him. I had to see what it was like to kiss a deity. The kiss? Impossible to explain. Explain light to a blind person who has never seen. Wiping the tears I backed up. “I love you too Logan. Thanks for everything. Thanks for my life.”

“It is Morgan you should thank. I only gave you a place to stop for a little while.” Logan cocked his head and smiled.

“I will, I’ll thank her next time I see her. Please don’t let this goodbye be a final goodbye.” I was wiping tears as I took one last look around at Deity Arms, Horace, and Logan, before I walked out the door.

Before I slid into the cab I waved at the four gargoyles sitting on the roof. “Come see me.”

“Well, Little Miss Troubles is finally gone.” Garmon watched the cab drive off.

“You liked her as much as the rest of us did,” Grimcost admonished his friend.

“I didn’t like her.” Grim stuck his nose up in the air in disgust.

“Yeah, and your mother was a cat.” Gorm shook his head as he backed up to go find his perch on the other side of the building.

Logan stood at the door with his hands clasped behind his back. “She’s one of a kind.”

Horace walked over and put his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “She’s certainly that. I wanted her to stay.”

“You know as well as I it wasn’t possible. Human’s are like butterflies, they are prettiest when in the wild on their own. She would have grown tired of us in time.”

“I wonder if humans know we have as much pain and sorrow as they do. Being a god and living for centuries isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.” Horace shook his head sadly.

“Sometimes it’s more than fair. Look alive, here they come.” Logan turned and walked into his office closing the door behind him.

Horace walked back to his desk and waited. The evil could be felt before the cab pulled up to the curb. The man and woman reeked of it as they got out and argued with the driver about the fare. “You stupid bastard, you don’t think I know what you were doing? You drive all over the city to run up the meter. You ignorant bastards come over here to America and take our jobs. You’re nothing but stupid savages.”

The man pulled a twenty off a roll of bills. “Here, this is all I’m paying you. You tried to screw me and now I’m screwing you. Fuck off you little bastard. Go home. Go back to the sewer you popped out of.”

The driver said something before giving the man the finger and driving off.

The man kicked the cab door as it pulled out. “Fucking foreigners, come over here and take over the country.”

“You told him honey. He didn’t get away with cheating us.” The woman patted the man on the back for a job well done.

“Fucking A,” the man agreed.

He looked up at the name on the building. Deety Arms? “I think that fucking little weasel dropped us off at the wrong building. This is Deety Arms and I definitely told him Deity Arms. Asshole can’t even understand English. Let’s go see if these bozos know where Deity Arms is.”

He pushed the door open and they walked into the lobby.

Horace winced as the evil that flooded the lobby was almost overwhelming. “May I help you?”

“Yeah, where’s the fucking Deity Arms Apartments? Driver dropped us off at the wrong building.” The man sneered as he wiped his nose with his coat sleeve.

“Maybe it would be of some help if you told me who you were looking for sir.” Horace was ready to air out the place before the stench became overpowering.

“Yeah, maybe you heard of her. Bridget... Bridget Tonue. Young bitc... Young woman. Has big melons clear out to here.” The man held his hand way out in front of his chest.

“But they are false. She doesn’t have real ones. You can tell they are fake a mile away,” the woman added.

“Yes, we have a tenant by that name. Beautiful young lady with intelligent black eyes and long silky black hair reaches to her hips?” Horace was baiting the trap.

“Yeah, that’s her. What apartment is the bi... woman in?”

“I’m afraid I can’t give you that information sir. I’ll buzz her if you will tell me who’s calling?” Horace picked up the phone.

The man moved his right hand inside his jacket. “Give us the apartment number!”

“What’s the problem here?” Mr. Logan stepped out from his office. He almost raised his hand to sweep the evil away from his face but resisted the urge.

“This gentleman and lady wish to see Miss Tonue,” Horace pointed in the man’s direction.

“I see. Do you know Miss Tonue?” Mr. Logan clasped his hands together in front of his chest.

“Yeah, we’re good friends. In fact we are better than good friends. We are business associates. The bitc... uh, she has something for us and we stopped by to pick it up.” The man slipped his hand out of his jacket.

“I see. I don’t guess there would be any harm in letting them go up to Miss Tonue’s apartment if they are business associates. Horace, please guide Miss Tonue’s guests.” Mr. Logan smiled and nodded his head.

Horace smiled as he waved toward the elevator. “Miss Tonue’s apartment is six oh nine.”

The man motioned for Horace to stay where he was. “We can find it. Don’t call her, we want it to be a surprise.”

“As you wish sir. I’m sure someone is going to be surprised.” A smile spread across Horace’s face and he almost laughed.

“They sure the fuck are. The bitch is going to get what’s coming to her,” the man mumbled as he and woman stepped in the elevator.

“Call the fumigators, open the doors, and air this place out.” Mr. Logan was waving his hands back and forth as he walked to the front door to hold it open.

“Shall we go up to Morgan’s apartment and wait?” Horace was smiling from ear to ear.

“But of course. Let the games begin. Robert and Nancy are about to find out what happens to those who threaten one of our guests. After you my old friend.” Logan pointed up.

Logan and Horace stepped into the room the same instant someone else did. Logan shook his head as he looked at her. “Morgan, you look stunningly beautiful as always.”

Morgan nodded as she looked around the apartment. “You always were a smooth talking devil Logan. You did send everything along didn’t you? Bridget will need her full wardrobe to keep up with her schedule.”

“Mr. Luk packed everything as you requested. Shall we open the window and let Bridget’s friends in? I don’t think Mr. and Mrs. Drake had the chance to meet them before they came into the building. I’m positive Bridget’s friends wouldn’t approve of Mr. Drake threatening Bridget with a gun.”

There was a heavy knock on the door. As Morgan walked over to open it, Horace opened the window. Four shadows slipped into the room snarling and growling.

Mr. Logan put a finger to his lips. “Ssssssssh!”

Morgan opened the door. “Robert, Nancy, please do come in. We have been expecting you. I’m afraid Bridget is unavailable right at the moment but...”

“Unavailable my ass! Get out of the way bitch! Where’s that little cunt hiding? She’s gonna be sorry she ever fucked with me.” Robert gave Morgan a hard push with his left hand as he stormed into the apartment. He pulled a thirty eight out from under his coat.

Nancy followed Robert into the apartment and slammed the door behind her. “We got her now. Get Miss Tits out here! I’m going to beat the living shit out of her. She will beg us to take the money back before I’m through with her. She fucked with the wrong people this time.”

Mr. Logan stepped forward. “Actually, someone ‘fucked’ as you say with the wrong people but it wasn’t Miss Tonue. I think Jerry Rands would probably have said it was his money in the first place.”

Robert pointed his gun at Mr. Logan. “Who the hell are you and where’s the fucking bitch at?”

“Such language. More appropriate for a prostitute working in an S and M brothel, wouldn’t you say?” Mr. Logan glanced over at Horace who had walked up beside him.

“Listen asshole, I asked you a question. I don’t intend to ask again. In case it has escaped your attention, I have a gun and I will use it.” Robert waved it back and forth for emphasis.

Mr. Logan blinked in shock. “Did the gentleman call me an asshole? I fear he has threatened me with his weapon also. I’m not sure I approve of his language nor his manners. Boys...”

A low ominous growling rumble came from several places around the room. A cold chill ran up Robert’s back as four monsters stepped into view. They were drooling with their lips pulled back exposing long fangs. The hackles were raised on their backs.

Something impossible to believe takes awhile to register on the brain even when the eyes are looking at it. Robert and Nancy were looking at four gargoyles who were not stone but alive. Screams of sheer terror escaped from apartment six oh nine followed by the sound of gunshots mixed in with hideous screams, growling, and the crash of furniture being destroyed.

Horace looked over at Logan. The room destructed in front of them as Nancy and Robert fought with the gargoyles. “He was right. It was a surprise.”

Stepping around the raging fight, Morgan walked over beside Logan and Horace. “I’m afraid this is getting a little messy for me. I’ll be going. You have plans for Bridget’s guests?”

Logan watched as Grimcost clamped his teeth down on Robert’s ankle. “Oooooh, that’s gotta hurt. Yes, I’ll take care of them after Bridget’s friends give them a little attitude adjustment. What did Nancy call Bridget? Miss Tits? And Robert called Bridget a bitch? I’m sure something appropriate can be reciprocated, with interest of course.”

Deity Arms Separator

After Donna and I left the apartment, I managed to get my emotions under control. I had to know. “Donna, why me?”

“Why you what?” Donna didn’t understand the question.

“Why was I chosen? Why didn’t they let me kill myself? People die all the time. Why me?” I was curious why I had been chosen to be saved from death.

“Game of chance. It was fate if you believe in such things. Chance if you don’t.” Donna opened up the makeup kit and took out cascading diamond earrings and a necklace. “Here, the dress you’re wearing demands it.”

“You’re kidding! I wasn’t chosen because of some reason or another?” I couldn’t believe the life I was living was pure chance. Absentmindedly I slipped the earrings in my pierced ears before I put on the necklace. It never dawned on my mind I was wearing a couple of million dollars worth of Morgan’s jewelry.

Donna reached up and tapped the driver on the shoulder. “Kemel, why did you pick Jerry up that night?”

The driver glanced up in the rearview mirror at me. “I was coming back from that part of town after a delivery. The guy was standing on the curb. I thought, ‘why not make a few extra bucks.’ So I stopped and gave him a ride. That was it. When he handed me a twenty and told me to take him as far is it lasted, that raised my curiosity. I watched as he ditched his watch and billfold down in the seat before we had gone two blocks. That told me the guy had either stolen it and wanted to get away from the crime scene, or he was on his last leg and wanted to disappear from life. I decided to run him by Mr. Logan and see if he wanted to play with him.”

“Play with him? It wasn’t all planned days, months, years before?” I was desperately trying to understand.

Donna pulled out the eyeliner. “Hold your head up and look at me. Be still now. No planning. Morgan was there and she wanted you. That’s really all there is to it hon. You think they plan everything? Morgan and the others are deities, not omnipresent beings. They don’t know everything and they make mistakes like you and me.”

“You and me? But you’re one of them.”

“I said hold still. No I’m not one of ‘them’. I know a lot about them and understand a lot but they hold a lot of secrets back from me. There, now your eyes look like the model you are.” She put up the eyeliner and took out a blush.

“Kemel is one of them then. He’s always there when we need a cab.” I glanced up front at our driver.

“Yes, Kemel is one of them. He really enjoys meeting people and giving them rides. You will find out they are like us in a lot of ways. There are good ones, bad ones, and they have good days and bad days too. Now lean over here again and let me bring up your cheeks, although Morgan blessed you with so much beauty I don’t know why I bother trying to improve it.”

I looked at my long slender fingers and dark red painted fingernails. “So this is only chance? Donna you aren’t going to leave me are you? I need your help to find my way. Besides, you’re my best friend and the only one I can talk to now that I no longer have an apartment where my life began.”

Kemel pulled up to the curb and stopped. “We’re here. How long you gonna be? I need to pick up a guy in Queens and run him back to Trick’s. He’s the guy who stole Bridget’s mink jacket. Trick is going to make sure the guy looks good in it.”

Donna opened her door and slid out motioning me to follow her. “This is going to take awhile. Bridget should get her Hot Topics back after the judge gives the okay for transfer of ownership from bankruptcy. Drop her suitcases off at the plane. We will catch another cab to the airport.”

I opened the front door and leaned in. I held out my hand. “Kemel, thank you for everything. Thank you for picking me up that night. I don’t have any money but I have a credit card Morgan gave me. Can you run it through?”

Kemel took my hand, leaned across the seat, and kissed the back of it. “Bridget, never have I enjoyed a passenger as much as I have you. When you come back to New York I’d like to be your driver if you don’t mind. As for the money?” Kemel pulled up his sleeve as he held out his left arm. I was looking at Jerry’s watch on his wrist. “A three thousand dollar watch pays for a lot of rides. More than twenty dollars worth. Take care Bridget. When you need a New York cab I’ll be there.”

Donna edged me back out of the way and closed the door. Kemel was gone. She pointed toward the courthouse. “I know they never had a client dressed like you. Let’s go see if we can talk them out of Hot Topics while their minds are fried.”

I glanced over at Donna and shook my head. She was wearing a lime green dress. The full skirt was as short, or shorter than mine. The top had a scalloped neckline and full length sleeves. The light played tricks as the dress seemed to be a flowing liquid even when she wasn’t moving. Her sensible heels were two-inch and her purse matched her dress. Her gold earrings and necklace were perfect with her dress. There was no doubt in my mind she was one of ‘them’ even if she denied it. She was a Leprechaun for sure.

It was two sixteen before we left the courthouse. The men seemed to have trouble keeping their minds on the bankruptcy case. I honestly thought the judge was going to call Donna and me prostitutes and toss us out of court, but he didn’t. He probably stared at us harder than any of those five corporate lawyers who were trying to block the sale of Hot Topics. In the end the little lawyer Donna had hired for me, Mr. Lsuka Quinn, convinced the judge I had a prior claim on Hot Topics. When I said little, I meant little. The guy was Indonesian or some such and stood about five-six. If I wasn’t wearing heels we would have been looking each other in the eye. I don’t think he weighed a hundred and twenty pounds soaking wet. But his mind was sharp and his understanding of the law was second to none.

Donna and I caught a cab and headed out to the airport after the judgment. I was wondering how I was ever going to get Hot Topics back into production as we pulled up to a private jet. I was seriously out of funds. It takes money to put a business back into business even if all the pieces are already in place. I was positive the kind of money I was making... as I had yet to see any, would never pay the light bill for Hot Topics much less any of the other overheads. So far I had been living on other people’s graces. I was up to my eyeballs in debt to Morgan. I owed the lawyer Mr. Quinn, whom we just left at the courthouse. Jim Castle’s bill had to be a couple of hundred thousand dollars or more. I was going to be working for nothing for the rest of my life to pay off my debts. At least Robert and Nancy didn’t have it either. Donna said Jim cleaned out Robert and Jim had the money they stole from me. I found that hard to believe. Robert didn’t write that kind of check.

Donna pointed to the jet as she slid out of the back seat. “The guy onboard has a briefcase for you. It has your flight plans and your apartment address in Atlanta. I’ll see you around Bridget Renee Tonue. Have a good life hon.”

That wasn’t what I wanted to hear. Donna had told me goodbye in her own way. I started bawling as I wrapped her up in my arms. “Please Donna, please don’t leave me.”

She pushed me back as tears gently fell from her eyes. “Not forever Bridget. We will fly together some day. Leprechauns have friends too.”

I pulled her back in and held on for dear life as I cried on her shoulder. “You’re my best friend. I love you Donna. Please don’t wait too long before you come back.”

“That’s so you can steal my pot of gold isn’t it. You think if I hang around long enough you will figure out where I’m hiding it.”

Donna’s wisecrack had made it possible to let her go. I kissed her on the cheek. “We are best friends. Friends don’t steal from one another. Don’t make me wait too long or I’ll call up Sam to find where you live.”

“I promise. Go find the life that was supposed to be yours Bridget. It won’t be all sunshine but I’m betting you make the days with lemons into lemonade.” She gave me a hug along with a kiss on the cheek.

Biting my lips so I wouldn’t cry any more, I walked over to the plane and climbed aboard. I turned to close the landing door. Donna was standing there by the cab waving. That ripped my heart apart. I was crying again as I waved bye to her.

As the door closed the world off between us, someone wrapped his arm around my waist and nuzzled in my ear. “She always pops up whenever you need her. It’s what she’s best at.”

I settled back into his chest before I reached up behind me and wrapped my hands around his head. “I don’t want her to pop up when I need her. I want her to be there to share a joke only she understands. I want her to be there when we greet the passengers. I want her to be there when we enjoy an evening after a hard day. Life is more than sharing needs Sam. Life is also sharing fun. That’s a different kind of need but it’s the same.”

He turned me around to face him. “I know. I also know I want to share those things. The person I want to share with, I’m holding in my arms.”

He gave me a kiss between my tears and held me for a long time in his strong comforting arms. Finally he led me up to the cockpit. “Donna showed me your pilot’s license. You really do fly everything with wings and a lot of things without don’t you?”

I started to sit down in the co-pilot’s seat and Sam steered me over to the pilot’s one. “Hey, no free rides this time. On Atlantic you make me do all the flying. This time it’s my turn to take care of the passengers while you fly.”

I glanced in back. “We don’t have any passengers.”

“Not my fault it turned up empty on your flight Captain. What say we kick the tires, light the fires, and get this buggy off the ground? I’m dying to see that apartment north of Atlanta Donna found for you. It’s within walking distance of the airport. She said all you have to do is hop down to Atlanta for your flights out on Atlantic Airlines.”

I slid into the pilot’s seat and started bringing the little Lear to life as Sam slid into the co-pilot’s seat. “Sounds good to me. You have the flight plan filed?”

“The Captain is supposed to do that but since you were late, as I knew you would be, yes, I filed it.” A self-satisfied smirk spread across his face.

“Then let’s see about getting this bird in the air.” I inched the throttles forward and we started rolling.

Sam turned to stare at me after we parked at the end of the runway before our turn for liftoff. “Is that the uniform you’re going to wear when flying for Atlantic? Not that I mind nor am I complaining. Quite the opposite, I think it’s the uniform all female pilots should be made to wear.”

“I’m not flying for Atlantic except as a hostess.” I heard the okay for takeoff from the tower and inched the throttles forward to full power. We were quickly picking up speed headed down the runway.

“Not what I heard. American and Southwest has sent over headhunters to see if they can hire you over to their airlines. Atlantic decided to see if they were really serious and upped the ante. Donna said next week you fly out to LAX and back as a co-pilot.”

“WHAT?” I know the controllers in the tower thought we were drunk as the little Lear wallowed all over the place on takeoff.

I finally managed to get the plane leveled out again. “I love being a hostess. I meet a lot of interesting people. I really don’t plan on being a pilot.”

“You’re going to be the only hostess with pilot’s wings on her chest. Is it true you’re worth millions and own a software company making millions more every year?

“Do you honestly think I would be working my little tail off as an Atlantic Hooters Hostess if I had THAT kind of money?”

“That raised my suspicions too. I guess Donna does lie about some things.”

“You can’t trust a Leprechaun.”

“Who said she was a Leprechaun? They are little men from Ireland and only a myth.”

“That’s what I thought too. Don’t bet your life on it. Are you her brother?”

“If I were her brother I would be a Leprechaun. I’m six foot five. Leprechauns are little people in Ireland.”

“Oh my god... you are… aren’t you?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“What will our babies look like?”

“Miss Tonue did you just propose to me?”

“Are we going to have real babies?”

“They will be real babies. They will be happier when we put a pot of gold under their crib.”

“...oh my god...”

The End

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An Old Friend

littlerocksilver's picture

PS & Barbie,

What pleasure finding this old friend this morning. Of course, the rest of the morning was lost until I completed reading it. Just a lot of fun.

Portia

Portia

happy you enjoyed it

BarbieLee's picture

Portia I appreciate you letting me know you enjoyed it again.
Thanks
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It takes a LOT of story,

to make me laugh and cry at the same time. You have accomplished this feat with the greatest of skill.

From the conspiracy of coincidences that brought Bridget into existence, to the antics of the gargoyles, to the all too human reactions of the "Gods" to finding that Bridget is way more than they expected, to the final denoument that finds Bridget back in control of her life, you had me on the edge of my seat, alternately in tears and laughing so hard I had the other kind of tears blurring my vision.

Superbly crafted, wonderfully told, emotionally draining and yet invigorating at the same time. THANK YOU, for your skill, your talent, and for helping me see that life can be what you make it, albeit with some semi-immortal assistance. LOL.

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's one of the best stories I've read in a long, long time.

Hugs and love,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Thank you

BarbieLee's picture

Catherine, it was kind of you to let me know you had fun with Deity Arms Bridget. Thank you.
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The Four Gargoyles

The four Gargoyles, just broke me up! The whole story have me laughing and giggling the entire way though this wonderful story! When I wasn't doing that I was crying happy tears over Bridget's successes. I can't recall the last I read a story with such a great combination of humor and heart. This so deserves to be made into a summer blockbuster, but I guess it'd never happen. The rest of the world have no idea what it's missing!

Hugs!

Grover

Two wasn't enough

BarbieLee's picture

Grover, thank you. I was having problems handling two gargoyles because they didn't have much interaction. Grim and Gorm joined Deity Arms Bridget to raise the contention with their different personalities. Sometimes a story will lay flat with only one or two characters. Thanks for enjoying the story.
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Oh damn!

I have been working on a Deity Arms story, but I don't think I can even come close to this! I feel just like Horace did. I love Bridget! What a great story! Humor, love, happiness...I bow before you! I'm not worthy! Please tell me you have more!

Wren

Can't wait

BarbieLee's picture

Wren, the stories are in you. Everyone has a story to tell and when they do it is their story not someone else. Hon, follow your heart and write what you feel. Stories are your children so bring them to life. Story writing is the most selfish act one can do until it is finished. Write for your own pleasure. When it is finished the most unselfish act is letting everyone enjoy it with you.
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I see ONE HUGE down side to this story

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Barbie Lee,

The copy-right to this story is 2001. That means Barbie has either quit writing altogether or thought that this story didn't merit any further attempts at a "Deity Arms" tale. Either way - and I HOPE I AM WRONG - this would be a GREAT loss to literature in general and our community more specifically.

It isn't often that a writer can take someone else's theme and so improve on it as to render the new story in a class by itself, but that is what I am feeling about this story.

Thank you Barbie Lee.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

You're probably right

BarbieLee's picture

Hope, I haven't written any stories for several years. As far as short stories like Bridget, I'm really not a short story writer. Bridget was actually done as a relief. I was bogging down on a novel and decided to play with The Professor's Deity Arms universe.

Thank you for your kind words. They were greatly appreciated.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

story

as someone said you are wonderful story writer.bring us more of your talent.
robert

001.JPG

very kind

BarbieLee's picture

Robert, it was kind of you to let me know you enjoyed the story. My stories spread all over the genre. I don't write in one particular style. A couple lifeshift stories such as Bridget but only a few.
Thank you,
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

What an absolutely fabulous

What an absolutely fabulous and funny story. All the characters were so very lifelike and the gargoyles were a real 'hoot'. It is simply too bad that a story such as this can't be made into a television movie, it has so very much going for it. Pathos, Love, Comedy, Pain, True Friendship and again lots of love from the various good characters. Jan

another writer?

BarbieLee's picture

Thanks Jan, all of those descriptive words didn't fall out of nowhere. Obviously a wordsmith? Can you imagine what fun it would be for the producers to do a Deity Arms Series based on The Professor's universe?
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Lovely story!

I don't know if I can add anything that others haven't already said better than I could. I love this story. It showed us a slightly different side of the main characters in their interactions with Bridget.

The only down side is I needed to be asleep 2 hours ago!

Janice

Thank you

BarbieLee's picture

Janice, it was kind of you to let me know you enjoyed Bridget. I empathize with you about getting caught up in a storyline and not putting it down. But we only get one go at life. Let's enjoy the heck out of it. A stolen hour or two out of our regular routine adds some spice to life.
always
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Beautiful!!!

Beautiful!!!

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

Thank you

BarbieLee's picture

Shadowstarr, It was most gracious of you. I'm pleased you found it interesting. Many thanks.
always,
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised Cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Cute, Long Story

terrynaut's picture

Hey. I really like this story. It's very cute.

Bridget was wonderful, especially at first when she thought she was dreaming. Her chronic lateness was cute too. I can relate!

The "possible" leprechauns were a nice touch.

Thanks for the story.

- Terry

Always Late

BarbieLee's picture

Terry, yeah, I have some friends who are always fashionably late. I think it is a mindset where they can't calculate the time it takes to get ready and drive from point A to their destination. I doubt anyone has never had a dream where they woke up thinking it was real? If it was a scary dream it is called a nightmare. Some of mankind's greatest advances come from dreams.
always,
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thanks to PS for editing

BarbieLee's picture

I tried to get PS to add a notice at the beginning of Bridget but to no avail. Grammatical corrections help a reader by providing a smoother storyline. I write like I talk, pure Okie. A lot of people stumble over the speed bumps of the colloquialisms if they weren't raised in my part of the world. A bag is a sack. Such as a cotton sack or grocery sack. There are hundreds if not thousands of words particular to my part of the world. Having to repeat one's self half a dozen times and then when all else fails describing it isn't always funny.

It wasn't just the Okie writing PS helped with. Readers can thank PS for the lack of speed bumps and mind blocks as they read Bridget.
Thanks PS
always,
Barb
Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Deity Arms 4: Bridget

Nice to see another Arms story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you

BarbieLee's picture

Stanman, nice you liked it. Thanks

Barb
Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I love this awesome story

I just loved this story. How the gods took the despairing man and gave him new hope as Bridget. If I was eher I'd think I was dreaming too...

The gargoyles were just brilliant... Them beeing ashamed for liking Briget was hillarious.

I just read it again and I have to say it is one of my all time favourite TG-stories.
Thank you for writing this awesome story.

Beyogi

Great fun

I agree with the other commenters that the interaction between Bridget and the Gargoyles is the best part of the story, but it's pretty good all over.

I had some problem suspending disbelief near the beginning -- not that Robert and Kelli/Nancy could scam Jerry and his company out of millions of dollars, but that nobody on the side of the law seemed to suspect that they were involved given their convenient disappearance just before Jerry's supposed crimes came to light. Somebody should have investigated further when Jerry pointed out that Kelli and Robert had gone missing -- if only to get interestingly wrong ideas and start prosecuting him for murdering them as well as for tax evasion etc. I thought it would turn out that Mr Logan or some other god was manipulating the IRS, judges, etc. to make them ignore all the evidence in Jerry's favor, but no such luck.

Otherwise, once we get past that part, the story works really well. Thanks.

GREAT!

So wonderful to stumble upon hidden gems!
Thanks
a

alissa

It's seldom that a second reading

moves me to experience them again. You did it again to me, my friend with this Deity Arms tale.

I've been impressed and pleased to have had a small part in getting some of your work posted here at Top Shelf and I've loved doing it for you and for the readers.

Thank you again for the opportunity to help and for having become a friend... and thank you again for this story as well as all your other ones as well.

One question though. Just where did you get those gargoyles and can I have the address? I'd love to have them around my place to tell stories to and share huggles with.

I hope you are well and working hard on your latest tale. I can't wait to see where you took it from what you sent me to get ideas.

Hugs, love and respect from,

Cathy

P.S. I'm also hoping with all my heart that your muse has come up with a continuation of Jessica Rabbit. I just can't get that story out of my head or my heart.

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Awesome story

The renewal concept in this Deity Arms story takes things to a whole new level. I thought it was just going to be about her new life but the revenge, flight attendant, and the gargoyles took this in a way different direction. Much kudos for a well-done story. I really enjoyed it.

>>> Kay

OMG this is wonderful.

OMG this is wonderful. Everyone should be as lucky as I am and read this gem. Another great addition to what has become another noteworthy universe.