Raised in SLC - chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

slc_title.jpg

There are good secrets and there are bad secrets. Sometimes even good secrets are hard to keep.

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Hart
for their kindness, help, support and input.

Raised In SLC
Chapter 13

By Penny Reed Cardon

I looked over at Mary Beth, I thought she'd seen a ghost, or was trying to impersonate one. I couldn't keep from laughing. I finally managed to say, "I'm Matilda."

"May I ask, what's so funny?" asked Steve.

"Not now." I was still laughing. "Maybe after breakfast."

"Well Matilda, I need to check your vital signs, as well as Mary Beth’s. I’d like to start with yours. Could you hop back onto your bed for me please?"

I did as Steve asked. He was very professional about it, as he checked me over. Then he did the same with Mary Beth. As he left, he said, “I’ll be bringing in your breakfasts in about an hour.”

After Steve left, I looked back at Mary Beth. Glad to see that most of her color was back. "I didn't know they had male nurses!" she exclaimed.

I laughed, "Well obviously, they do."

"Okay, you win! You can go to the bathroom any time you want."

I was laughing uncontrollably as Ellen walked in. "What's going on in here?" she asked.

It was several minutes before I could talk without laughing. Mary Beth just took a blanket off her bed, wrapped it around herself, and sat in the rocking chair, in the corner.

I told Ellen how our night had gone, and that I'd gotten into bed with Mary Beth because she seemed so sad. Then I told her about how upset she had been when she woke up and found me gone, also the compromise we'd come up with. I went on and explained what might happen if I was kept from the bathroom too long, and that we would both suffer from the consequences and how Mary Beth had felt it wouldn't be too bad. That is, until Steve walked in and Mary Beth turned white. Ellen couldn't keep from giggling a little bit herself.

Once we'd both settled down, Ellen told us why she was there. "I received a call from Peter Harris this morning. He told me that as far as he was concerned, Matilda was healthy and could leave at any time. There is however, the little problem of why you came to the hospital in the first place. Under normal conditions, Matilda, someone who had done what you did, would have been moved to the psychiatric ward for a week of close observation. It took some fast-talking to keep you off suicide watch, young lady. My reputation is on the line here; I can't tell you how upset I'll be if you do anything to tarnish that reputation."

"Don’t worry Ellen. From now on, I'll be on my very best behavior," I solemnly promised.

"As for you, young lady," Ellen addressed Mary Beth. "All of my students are expected to bathe daily. There are no excuses for being lax when it comes to personal hygiene."

"I usually shower each morning, Ellen," Mary Beth exclaimed, in her defense. "I haven't today, because, well, we just got up. Besides, I can't shower with all this tape they put around me."

"That, My Dear, is no excuse." Ellen was quite serious, "I've arranged for your nurse to give you a sponge bath each morning, after which you will put on clean clothing. Being that you're spending the day in bed, clean nightwear will be more appropriate."

Mary Beth went white as a sheet and almost passed out when she heard, ‘your nurse,’ and ‘sponge bath.’

"As for you Matilda, as long as you're under my care, I expect the same from you, as I do my students. ‘You’ have no excuses, so into the shower with you." As Ellen finished, she picked up a small duffel bag from the foot of my bed and handed it to me.

‘When did she put that there?’

"You’ll find everything you should need inside this."

Ellen picked up a second bag, which she placed on Mary Beth's bed. "Hop up onto your bed Mary Beth. I'll go tell the nurse that you're ready."

I took my bag and quickly went into the bathroom before Ellen changed her mind about a shower and insisted I should have the pleasure of enjoying a sponge bath as well. Untying the knot at the back of my neck turned out to be a challenge, but with a little creativity, I was able to overcome that problem. I pulled my arms in through the sleeves and turned the gown around so the knot was in front and I could see it in the mirror. I spread the hospital gown on the floor, removed my wig and carefully laid it on the gown. Removing my underwear, I got into the shower. Gee, it felt good! Not as good as a bubble bath, but real good, all the same.

After a nice shower and briskly drying off, I opened the bag to discover what Ellen had brought. Ellen does think of everything. In the bag were clean panties, both the essentials, as well as the decorative. There was also a lovely camisole, a beautiful long nightgown with lace and ribbons. There was also something I wasn't familiar with. It was made of the same material as the nightgown and looked like, knee length pants, only there was lace around the bottom and elastic to hold them tightly around my legs. There was also a bow, at one point on the waistband. ‘I guess that's the front. Still guessing, I'd say they are to be worn over the panties and under the nightgown.’

So that's how I got dressed, thinking, ‘I'll ask Ellen about them later. There's something odd, yet very familiar about this nightgown, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it somehow seems familiar. Oh well, I'll remember it eventually. I wonder if they've finished with Mary Beth, I don't want her to be embarrassed by my suddenly popping out of the bathroom.’

Slowly I opened the door, just a crack and asked, "Are you decent Mary Beth?"

"Not yet!" she called out.

"Oh come now, Mary Beth. You're adequately covered. You may come out, Matilda."

‘Now what do I do? Mary Beth says no, but Ellen says yes. How can I comply with Ellen's instructions and not cause Mary Beth to be embarrassed? Ahhh!’

"Matilda," Ellen asked, "Why are you walking backwards?"

"Just following both sets of instructions," I replied. "You said it was okay to come out, but Mary Beth, on the other hand, wasn't comfortable with being seen by me. Not wanting to cause her any embarrassment, but wanting to comply with your instructions, I felt that this would be the best solution."

As I finished explaining myself, I arrived at, and climbed into my bed.

"Well Matilda. An acceptable course of action, inventive and logical," Ellen said, with a smile in her voice.

"Thank you, Matilda," added Mary Beth.

"Mary Beth, don't you think you owe Matilda an apology.”

"For what?" I could hear the puzzlement in Mary Beth’s voice.

"For yesterday evening," Ellen reminded her, "when the nurse was about to remove Matilda’s diaper. From what Edith tells me, you were disappointed when she asked you to turn away, yet now, you don’t want her to see you wrapped in bandages. By the way, Matilda, you may turn around now. Mary Beth has her nightgown on."

I turned around so I could see and talk with both Ellen and Mary Beth. As I did, I discovered two things. One, Mary Beth's nightgown was a duplicate of mine. Two, the nurse that Ellen had arranged for, was not Steve.

"Um, I guess you're right, Ellen. I wasn't thinking about Matilda's feelings," Mary Beth answered shyly. "Matilda, I'm sorry."

"That's okay, Mary Beth, I still think of you as my best friend," I gave my friend a smile, to say that all is forgiven.

The nurse had finished cleaning up after Mary Beth's bath, and left, pushing a small cart with towels and other supplies.

"Ellen," asked Mary Beth, changing the subject, "These nightgowns and bloomers are a bit old fashioned, aren't they? I'm really used to something a bit shorter."

‘That must be what those funny looking short pants are called, … bloomers!’

"Well, Mary Beth," Ellen replied. "When you get to the school you will have a variety of nightwear to choose from. Being that this is a public setting, I thought that something a bit more conservative, yet more modest than a hospital gown was called for.”

Mary Beth giggled, “You’re right, there’s nothing modest about a hospital gown! Thank you, Ellen,”

"These aren't bad, Mary Beth," I said, as I hopped down and spun around causing my nightgown to flare out, "I could get used to this, it's fun."

"Children!" Mary Beth said sarcastically, shaking her head.

"All right you two. Matilda, settle down, please." Ellen seemed to be giggling. "I have one more item for each of you." She reached into her handbag, removed a PDA, and handed it to Mary Beth saying, "I know it doesn't sound like much fun, but while you're resting, I need you to take some tests. Just open the folder ‘Exams.’ You'll find six files, one for each test. If you have any trouble finding them, I'm sure that Matilda can help you. Our 'Year A' students started last June. These tests will tell us if we need to arrange for a tutor to bring you up to the level of the other students. If you work on them for a few hours today, and then a few hours again tomorrow, you should be able to finish all of then.

"Oh, … goodie! More tests!" Mary Beth said sarcastically.

Ellen giggled, then removed a second PDA from her bag and handed it to me saying, "Besides the tests, there are some games loaded for your amusement, which I think you’ll both enjoy. Matilda, while Mary Beth is working on her tests, I would like you to go out of the room so she can concentrate." Ellen gave me a wink as she finished.

‘What is up with that?’ I wondered. "Sure thing, Ellen. I'm sure I can find something to do."

I'd turned on my PDA and was scanning through the list of games, when I discovered the folder ‘Exams.’ ‘That's it, while Mary Beth is working on her tests, I'm to be working on mine.’ I also found a file titled ‘Dear Matilda,’ ‘I wonder what that's about? Well I guess I’ll have to wait until after breakfast to look at it.’

"Well, I think that's everything," concluded Ellen, as she collected the two bags. "I won't see you two tomorrow, but I've arranged for someone to bring in clean clothing. I'll see you both on Thursday. Behave, and do what the nurses tell you," Ellen said jokingly. She knew we would behave.

"Thank you, Ellen. We will," I said.

"So long Ellen," Mary Beth added. "See you on Thursday."

"Mary Beth, just look at all the games to choose from. Some of these I've never heard of."

"What did you say Matilda?"

"I said, look at all the games."

"I'm sorry; I was looking at the tests I have to take. There's Spelling, English, Math, Science, History, and Geography. Matilda, what's Geography?"

"You remember last year, in Mrs. Chugg's class, we spent about four weeks learning about Utah?"

"I remember a little bit of it. Was that Geography?"

"Yes, that was Utah Geography. What's that asking about? Is it US Geography or World Geography?"

"It just says Geography."

"Well, US Geography is obviously the study of the United States, the different states, the capitals, their population, industries and climates, just like we learned about Utah last year. World Geography is, of course, the same thing, only on a much larger scale."

"Doesn't sound like much fun."

"Oh come on, Mary Beth! Learning about other people, along with their customs, can be exciting. I tell you what. You can recommend that they hire me to be your tutor," I said, while skimming through the games list. I opened one of my favorites, Scrabble. A screen came up with a list of possible opponents, asking me who I wanted to play against? To my surprise, the computer was not a possible opponent, there were several on the list, including Mary Beth.

"Mary Beth, you've got to see this," I was so excited, I almost jumped off my bed, rushing to show her the screen.

When she saw it, she asked, "Matilda, how do they do that?"

"Mary Beth, turn off your PDA," I requested.

As I expected, when Mary Beth turned off her PDA, her name was deleted from the list.

"Now turn it back on." As her name was again added to the list, it was clear to me that there is a wireless link between, not just our PDA'S but others as well. "This is really cool. I wonder how far I can go with these."

I shutdown the games routine and attempted to access the systems network setup. Suddenly the screen went black, and a short note appeared.

Matilda:

Do not attempt to access the networking set-up.
You may play the games, take your tests, or write
letters that will be transmitted later.
This will be your only warning. Any attempt to do
anything else and your PDA will shutdown for
thirty minutes.
I’m sorry about that, Ellen's instructions.

I'll see you on Friday.

JB

"Well, that takes all the fun out of it," I thought aloud, as I carefully backed out of the system files area. "They’re not going to let me play the way I want to. How about playing a game of Scrabble, Mary Beth?"

"Oh no, I'm not playing Scrabble with you again. You always win. I’m sure you make up some of those words you use."

"Mary Beth, are you accusing me of cheating?"

"Well, ... No"

"I only use words that are in the dictionary. You can look up anything you want. Besides, I'm sure that these won't let me use any words that aren't real."

"Oh, all right Matilda, I’ll play with you, but just until breakfast gets here."

Ten minutes later, Steve brought in our breakfasts. He didn't know it, but he’d just saved Mary Beth, from me beating her again. It wasn't that I was trying to win; I was only ahead by sixty-two points, this time. After all, it's not as if it’s my fault. I simply learned to read before most of my friends did. Can I help it that when they were reading Dr. Seuss, I was being entertained by the works of Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Lewis Carroll, and of course, Arthur Conan Doyle. ‘Thinking of Doyle, I wonder if I can get my books before going to the Manor? Ellen said that we aren't to take anything with us, and we'll be going there straight from the hospital. Oh well, all I can do is ask’.

"Hey Matilda," called out Mary Beth, "You've been real quiet during breakfast, what’s up?"

"Oh nothing. I was just thinking about how I've always been able to win at Scrabble. Where I learn all the words that I use? I guess Mom had the more to do with it, because of the books she used to read to me, but then, so have the books I’ve read, since I started reading."

"Well, I guess there’s some benefit to being an egghead, as Bart puts it," she giggled.

"Yes, but compared to Bart, even your brother Jeffrey is an egg head," I quickly added.

"Well, that doesn't say much for Bart, considering that Jeffrey is only five," she giggled again.

"Right! As I see it, Bart will end up in one of two places, either as a left tackle for some football team, because he's big and mean; or in jail, because he's so stupid he thinks he'll never be caught."

"You’re right, Matilda. The question is which would be better for Bart? Which would be better for the rest of the world? Oh well, I'm finish with my breakfast. I guess I'd better get started on these tests," Mary Beth grumbled, as she pushed her tray aside and picked up her PDA.

"Okay, I'll get out of here so you can think. Maybe there's a nurse I can flirt with, or maybe ... there's a five year old that I can rough up," I said with an evil, yet sarcastic chuckle.

"Well, have fun! But if I were you, I'd stick to flirting with the nurses. The five year old will probably kick your butt," said Mary Beth, teasing me right back.

"Oh thanks a lot! … You sure know how to build up a girl’s ego," I moaned as I grabbed my PDA and left.

I found myself a chair in a quiet corner and took out my PDA. I first opened the ‘Dear Matilda’ file.

Dear Matilda

By now, I'm sure you've found the notice from JB.
Don't be upset with her, as she was following
my instructions. Until our system administrator,
RJ, has been able to spend some time with you,
evaluating your abilities, you are still under a
limited access order.

In the mean time, I'm sure that we'll be able to
find enough things around the school to keep you
challenged. For example - you and Mary Beth will
be arriving three days before our annual
Halloween ball. This is a costume ball, but we
don't use any of those silly costumes you find at
your local stores. You'll both have access to the
many costumes available from our drama department.
Be thinking about what you'd like to dress up as.
Historical characters are usually popular.
Because of your size, your choices may be limited,
but remember, it isn't the costume that counts, but
the amount of creativity involved. How you
approach the subject with Mary Beth, is up to you,
but you need to get her thinking about a costume
without letting on that the two of you will be
together.

I said I would have some challenges for you.
Have fun!

See you Thursday;

Ellen.

‘Well, that's not what I expected. So now I have three challenges. One, Get Mary Beth thinking about a Halloween costume. Two, Don't let her know that I'll be with her at school. And Three, figure out how to get through the lockout on this PDA. Oh well, first things first, I'd better get started on these tests.’

I quickly breezed through the Spelling, English and History. The math slowed me down though. It started out easy enough, and then the problems got more complex. The more I did the more complex they became. I got to a point where I'm sure my answers were wrong. Then several formulas appeared on the screen, and after studying them, I realized my mistakes on the prior questions. I also knew that the wireless connection on these PDA's were somehow linked to the school’s systems and that they were monitoring the tests live, altering them as I went, challenging me more at each turn. After I'd gone back and corrected the problems I had wrong, it was time to find out just what type of wireless link I had in my hand. ‘Does it send when I press 'Next'? Or is my screen being mirrored to another screen?’

I thought I'd try something a little different, so I entered,
"1 = A, 2 = B, … 26 = Z" Quickly followed by,

20, 8, 1, 14, 11
(THANK)

25, 15, 21
(YOU)

13, 18, 13
(MRM)

I didn't press next, I just waited. I was shocked that it took over ten minutes before I received a reply. I laughed so loud when the reply finally appeared on my screen, that one of the nurses asked me to be quiet. The screen had gone blank before the reply message was displayed. It read,

3, 12, 5, 22, 5, 18
(CLEVER)

7, 9, 18, 12
(GIRL)

5, 8.
(EH)

After going back to the math problems and completing another dozen or so, I'd decided that I'd had enough for one day. When the next screen came up, I entered the following message

5, 14, 15, 21, 7, 8
(ENOUGH)

6, 15, 18
(FOR)

15, 14, 5
(ONE)

4, 1, 25.
(DAY.)

8, 15, 23
(HOW)

4, 9, 4
(DID)

9
(I)

4, 15?
(DO?)

As I waited for a response, I wondered if Mary Beth's PDA was set up the same way. I was also wondering how to approach the subject of Halloween costumes.

The response finally came,

25, 15, 21
(YOU)

4, 9, 4
(DID)

22, 5, 18, 25
(VERY)

23, 5, 12, 12.
(WELL.)

5, 12, 12, 5, 14
(ELLEN)

9, 19
(IS)

3, 15, 14, 6, 21, 19, 5, 4.
(CONFUSED.)

4, 15, 5, 19
(DOES)

14, 15, 20
(NOT)

11, 14, 15, 23
(KNOW)

23, 8, 1, 20
(WHAT)

20, 15
(TO)

4, 15
(DO)

23, 9, 20, 8
(WITH)

25, 15, 21.
(YOU.)

Of course, I had to reply with,

20, 5, 12, 12
(TELL)

8, 5, 18
(HER)

20, 8, 1, 20
(THAT)

1
(A)

8, 21, 7
(HUG)

23, 15, 18, 11, 19.
(WORKS.)

2, 1, 3, 11
(BACK)

20, 15, 13, 15, 18, 18, 15, 23.
(TOMORROW)

13, 18, 13
(MRM)

Their responses were starting to come quicker,

19, 5, 5
(SEE)

25, 15, 21
(YOU)

20, 8, 5, 14
(THEN

13, 21, 14, 3, 8, 11, 9, 14.
(MUNCHKIN.)

I excitedly entered,

2, 5, 3, 1?
(BECA?)

The response came back,

14, 15
(NO)

I had to ask,

12, 9, 26, 25
(LIZY)

The response to that was,

25, 5, 19
(YES)

I chuckled to myself as I turned off my PDA and went back to the room, to check on Mary Beth's progress. "So how are you doing?" I asked as I entered the room.

"Oh Matilda, you know I hate taking tests. I think the only question I got right was my name, but that's only because they didn’t asked for my name."

"Oh come now, Mary Beth, I'm sure you didn't do that bad. I tell you what. After lunch we can go over them together."

"Thanks, that would be great."

Lunch was uneventful; I mean, what can you say about hospital food. Yes, it would keep a starving girl alive, but gourmet food, it isn't.

Mary Beth and I spent several hours going over the testing she had done that morning. She had done well with the Spelling and the English. Her biggest problem appeared to be with the Math. With paper and pencils from the nurses we went over problems similar to those on her test. As she understood what she was doing wrong with the problems I was giving her, she went back and corrected the test answers.

Somewhere throughout the course of the afternoon I realized something, ‘I'm stupid! After I figured out that my PDA screen was being mirrored to the Manor, I didn't need to continue to send messages in code. All I needed to do was open a 'Notes' page, and switch back and fourth. Gee, I hate it when I'm stupid.’

While Mary Beth and I were eating dinner, I turned on my PDA opened a blank note page and keyed in the following;

Message for Ellen Hansen,

Ellen, what would be the chances of me
retrieving two books from home before
going to the Manor Thursday morning?

Huggs,
Matilda

I set it down, leaving it on, while I finish my dinner.

"What are you doing, Matilda," asked Mary Beth.

"Oh nothing much, just a little experiment, I won't know how it turns out until tomorrow," I replied, picking up the PDA. I then found the system statues files and accessed the battery level indicator, seeing 40%. I left that screen displaying for about a minute before returning to the main screen and shutting down the PDA. Assuming that someone was always monitoring my activities anytime I was on-line, both messages should be relayed to Ellen, the request for my books, and the need for a charging station.

After dinner, Mary Beth and I were talking when Mom came in, followed by Rachael, Karen and Chuck.

"Hi guys! What's new in the real world," I asked as they came in.

"Well, just look at the two of you," Karen teased. "Just like a couple of princesses, being waited on hand and foot. You’re even dressed as sisters in matching nightgowns."

"Oh, Karen, it's not like that at all," I replied.

Mom turned to Mary Beth asking, "Tell me Mary Beth, does someone bring your meals on a tray with covers over the food?"

"Um, yes Mrs. C."

"And do they come in to take away your dishes and tray when you're finished?"

"Yes Mrs. C," she agreed again.

"And were not clean clothes delivered to you this morning, by someone of importance?"

"Correct again, Mrs. C."

"Matilda, was there, or was there not, a promise of clean clothing to be delivered tomorrow morning?"

"Yes Mom, there was a promise of clean clothes," I had to agree.

"Well Karen, I don't know about you, but to me it sounds like a description of two princesses being waited on," Mom concluded with a smile.

"I knew it! You did this just to get out of school," Karen was joking, with her hands on her hips.

"Oh, come on, Karen! There's easier ways of getting out of school."

As Mom looked at me with that, 'What did you just say?' look, I realized that maybe I’d said a little too much. "I think we need to have a little talk young lady," she said sternly.

The room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.

"So, Rachael," asked Mary Beth, changing the subject, "What went on at school today?"

"There were lots of rumors going around, because of Matilda being gone yesterday and both of you gone today. Adding to the rumors, a bunch of kids saw Bart beating you up yesterday. Some are thinking that you're home. Some say you're in a hospital. A few even say you're dead."

"How did that rumor get started?" I asked.

"It probably had something to do with the fact that Mrs. Roberts was overhead talking to Mary Beth's Mother on the phone. They heard that the family is not moving, but that Mary Beth will not be going to school at Whittier anymore."

"Rachael, you didn't say anything, did you?" I asked.

"Oh course not! It's more fun listening to all the wild rumors than telling them what's really happening," she giggled.

"What are they saying about me?" I inquired.

"Well," Rachael continued, "Mostly everyone thinks that you're sick again, like when school started. Four of your friends did come to me during lunch today and asked how you're doing. I smiled and could honestly answer that you were doing a lot better today than you were yesterday."

"Yes,” I giggled. “I would agree that I'm doing better today, than I was yesterday.”

Everyone chuckled at that, agreeing that yesterday had indeed been trying for everyone.

As I was talking with my family, I asked how things were going at home, Chuck's baseball practice, Karen learning to do the laundry, ... I noticed that Mary Beth was somewhat quiet. In fact, the longer we talked, the more upset she seemed to be.

As my family was leaving, I finally realized what Mary Beth's problem was. "Mary Beth, I'm going to walk my Mom to the elevator."

"Just stay where the nurses can see you," she reminded me, she sounded somewhat bitter, which I understood.

As soon as Mom and I couldn't be overhead by Mary Beth, I stopped her, letting the others continue to the elevators. "Mom, can you do me a favor?'

"You want me to bring you something when we come see you tomorrow?"

"Well, sort of ... what I'd like you to bring is really for Mary Beth."

"And just what would that be?"

"Could you bring some of her family?"

"Matilda, what are you talking about?"

"Mom, didn't you notice how sad she looked while everyone was in there? Mom, as I understand it, Mary Beth went to our house after Bart attacked her."

"Yes, that's correct."

"She stayed there while Ellen talked to her parents, and then she was brought here. Mom, Mary Beth will be going straight to the Manor when she leaves here. She’ll never have a chance to say goodbye to any of her family. When you bring Karen, Chuck, and Rachael to see me, it reminds her of what she's missing."

"I see what you mean, Matilda. I'll see what I can do."

"Mom, this is the hardest part. If you can't get her family to come see her, then please ... don't come and see me."

"What?"

"Mom, it just isn't fair to her. I'm going to miss all of you, but if Mary Beth's family won't come to see her, then I should be treated the same." Sadly I hung my head.

"I understand. Matilda. How did you get to be so kind and understanding?"

"Well, I don't think I got it from Dad." I giggled, as I looked up into her eyes.

"You’re probably right there. Do you want to come over to the elevators and say goodbye?"

"Oh Mom, I'd really like that, but I think not. If Mary Beth's family comes tomorrow to say goodbye to her, then I'll have a chance to say goodbye to Rachael, Karen and Chuck. If not, well, you can say goodbye to both families, for both of us."

As I turned to return to my room, Mom grabbed my shoulders and kissed the top of my head. Nothing more was said, as she turned to leave.

"Why are you so sad, Matilda," asked Mary Beth as I entered the room.

I didn't respond to her question. How could I, without telling her more than I should. I simply crawled onto Mary Beth's bed, hugged my friend, and started crying softly. Telling Mom, ‘Don't come and see me!’ was definitely on the list of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

After I'd calmed down, I remembered that I had an assignment from Ellen. "Mary Beth, Halloween is next Sunday. How are you planning to dress up?"

"What!"

"I asked how you're planning to dress up for Halloween."

"Matilda, I'm going to that private school on Thursday. I don't know what they do for Halloween, or even if they do anything at all."

"I know that, Mary Beth. I'm just trying to pass the time. Just for fun, pretend you and I were going to be together for Halloween. How would you like to dress up?"

"Matilda, you're crazy."

"Of course I am ... that's why you love me. So, should we dress up in the same costumes to confuse people, or should we be different?"

"Matilda, you're nuts. We aren't going to be together for Halloween."

"Oh, come … on … Mary Beth! Just play along, it'll be fun. We could go as Hansel and Gretel. I'll be Gretel, and you can be Hansel."

"Hold it right there, Matilda! There's no way you're getting me to dress up as a boy!"

‘Well, I finally have Mary Beth thinking about what she doesn't want to be. Now all I have to do is turn that around to get her thinking about what she would like.’

"I know, we could go as Cinderella's ugly step sisters, although I don't know how either one of us could be ugly."

"Forget that idea! I don't do ugly! I could be Little Miss Muffet, she's cute."

"What about me?"

Mary Beth giggled, "You can be the spider."

"Oh come now, Mary Beth, I'm not that small, … although ... I guess if I was dressed all in black and added two stuffed arms on each side, hum. ... That has possibilities. What about Alice in Wonderland, I could be Alice, and you could be the Queen of Hearts."

"What did I tell you about anything ugly?"

"Well, who says that the Queen of Hearts has to be ugly?"

"You're right; nobody says the queen has to be ugly. Hum ... I could do a Queen, I'll think about that one.” Then she laughed, “I've got it, I'll be Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz, and you can be ... You can be a Munchkin."

"Why don't I be Dorothy, and you can be Toto?"

"That won't work; I'm too big to fit in your basket. We could dress simply as a mother with a baby, you could wear a short frilly dress that shows off some frilly rumba panties over a huge diaper," she giggled.

"You can forget that idea, right now! I'm not putting on a diaper for anyone. The frills aren't a problem for me, but no diaper. Here's an idea! I could arrange for Bart to come here and beat you up some more, then you could go as an accident victim."

"Oh, that's funny, ha, ha ... NOT!"

"You know I'm only teasing, I wouldn't let anyone hurt you, Mary Beth," I reinforced my sincerity with a hug. "We did come up with several good ideas. I think that Alice and the Queen of Hearts is the best."

"I don't know, I like the thought of pinning you into a really thick cloth diaper."

"You're joking, right?"

Giggle, "Of course I am, Matilda. I wouldn't do anything to hurt or embarrass you. That isn’t what friends do to each other. I do, however, reserve the right to tease you from time to time. As for the diaper, I'd have Beca pin it on you," she snickered.

"Oh, Mary Beth. … You're impossible! Give me a hug, you silly girl." Mary Beth winced in pain as I hugged her. ‘I’ve noticed that it’s been getting worse.’

Just then, Dr. Harris came in, "Good evening, ladies. How are we today?"

"We're doing great," Mary Beth replied.

"That good, I hate to break things up, but just for fun, Matilda, would you jump back into your bed so I can check you over."

"No problem," I smiled, as I got down, changing beds.

"That's a lovely nightgown," Dr. Harris commented. "It does create a small problem, though."

"What problem is that?" inquired Mary Beth.

"It's going to be a little difficult to examine her abdomen," Dr. Harris explained to Mary Beth. "I see that I'm going to have the same problem with you."

"What do you mean, with me?"

"I was asked to check on you, since I would be here to check on Matilda," Dr. Harris explained. "Dr Williams took care of you when you came in, but with you two sharing a room, it was felt that I could check on both of you."

"Well, that's not such a big problem," I said, as I lifted my nightgown off, over my head, then hopped onto my bed. After all, I was adequately covered, with the bloomers and camisole.

"Well, nothing wrong with you that something other than hospital food won't fix," Dr. Harris chuckled, after he'd finished. "You can put your nightgown back on, Matilda."

"Well now, Mary Beth, your turn," Dr. Harris said as he washed his hands. "Could you remove your nightgown, please?"

Mary Beth started to stammer; I knew what she was trying to say. "Just a second," I mumbled, as I was pulling my nightgown over my head. "Mary Beth is a little uncomfortable undressing in front of me. I'll just step out and flirt with a nurse." I giggled as I opened the door.

"Thank you, Matilda." I heard Mary Beth say as the door closed.

I waited just outside the door. After what I guessed to be about the needed amount of time, I knocked. "Just a minute!" I heard Mary Beth call out. A minute later she called out, "Come in."

Mary Beth seemed sad, as I went back into the room.

"Mary Beth, what's the matter?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing, my ribs are still very tender."

"Yes, quite," Dr. Harris emphasized. "If I understand correctly, young lady, you will be going with Ellen Hansen when you leave here?"

"Yes, that's right."

"That's fine," Dr. Harris, continued. "I'll inform her that you are to be on restricted activity for the next six weeks. The tape can be removed next Tuesday and replaced with an elastic bandages. Those can be removed so you can bathe. You'll need to wear the elastic bandages for four weeks. After that you'll just have to take it easy, do you understand all of that?"

"Yes Dr. Harris," Mary Beth said sadly. "It means being punished with itching and sponge baths, until next Tuesday."

"Mary Beth," I said, "Don't think of it as being a punishment. Think of the reward you'll get after the tape comes off."

"Matilda, what are you talking about?"

"Think of it this way. You have to put up with some itching, but Tuesday night you can relax in a nice long bubble bath."

Dr Harris chuckled at my last remark.

"Oh Matilda, you're impossible!" exclaimed Mary Beth.

"Thank you," I replied as I curtsied.

"I'll see you two tomorrow evening," Dr. Harris said while laughing. "You girls behave yourselves."

"We will," we both said. "Thank you, doctor." I added.

I got back into my bed as we continued to chat for a while. Mary Beth was showing no signs of being tired. On the other hand, I was fighting to stay awake. I finally couldn't fight it any more as, I slid down under the blankets and mumbled, "Good night, Mary Beth."

I heard, "Good night, Matilda," followed by a rustling from Mary Beth's bed.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now That Matilda Is Growing

we can see her spread her wings and become the loving scamp we will al get to know and love. I know from Karen's Education series that Matilda bottles up her emotions and hurt from the past as she denies the reality of what David and Bart did to her. We know that Matilda and Mary Beth will join the Manor soon, but Mary still needs to say GOOD BYE to her family. Our Matilda makes a sacrifice for her best friend when she decides that she will not see her family if Mary Beth is denied hers. Matilda shows courage and maturity here, well beyond her years. Penny, Keep up the good work.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice Development

Penny, I enjoy seeing matilda develop and spread her wings. Now she is starting to be herself at last, free of the bonds that kept her chained. She has a caring loving side that is awash in decency. This is the kind of character one would love to have for a daughter! (If not for the sneakiness to want to hack computers in Matildas mind! :) )

I know it is so soon to ask, but does Matilda have any after effects from the incident? nightmares maybe? or daymares and cold sweats? I know Matilda laughs it off. But as a reader, I am curious as to what lurks in her mind. How she feels changed from her abuse and suicide attempt, what she is mentally doing to cope. No counselling to assist her. No anti anxiety medicine. If she doesnt need anything, I sincerely wish I had what Matilda had to be so tough :(

Even though she is released from the bed and suicide watch, when someone has been pushed to want to die, they have a change in thinking and acting. The effects of the event linger. It is difficult to deal with in some cases, not all, but something still shows.

I am not saying to do anything to change story, merely pondering. As a victim of violence myself which is commented within SLC 9, the effects scarred my carefree image of life and still affect me 24/7. Some people can get over it, others can not.

Please keep up the wonderful effort you are putting into your story Penny! Good plot movement and direction, characters are livening up - Its becoming my kind of story again :)

*hug*

Sephrena

I Don't Get It...

The PDA stuff, I mean. Why would presenting it in numerical code instead of text make any difference, and why wouldn't the school shut it down like they said they were going to do if Matilda overstepped her bounds?

Eric

Over stepping her bounds

Eric,

As far as I've read, Matilda is only thinking of breaking the rules and hasn't actually done so yet. We can only wait and see what Penny will write as the schools reaction if Matilda does bypass the configuration.

As always I wait with baited breath.

Karen

She hasn't overstepped, really

After all, she didn't try to hack the network. She just realized the PDA was linked and monitored, and played a game with the monitor using code. She also used the PDA to send messages to Ellen -- not forbidden, since no one told her not to. *smile*

Randalynn

I agree with Karen

I looked over this chapter very carefully to make sure Matilda was staying within the bounds she was given, and so far, she hasn’t even bent the rules.

But I think it is pretty clear that she is planning to hack the system.
After all, the penalty IF she gets caught is only a loss of 30 minutes use of her PDA. I’d say telling her that is deliberately daring her to try something.

But sending messages, whether by code or in plain text, by merely putting them on the PDA to be read, is certainly not a hack.

I just wonder if someone was monitoring her in realtime, or if the system has a monitor to notify Lizy of activity other than taking the tests and playing the installed games, etc.

Only time, Matilda and Penny will tell us.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

I am surprised ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... that Ellen would pull strings to take Matilda off suicide watch so soon, and more so that the hospital, given our lawsuit happy culture, would allow it.. Children contemplating suicide can be quite clever. About 15 years ago, one of my homeroom students committed suicide in a most horrible manner. she had attempted it before, and all of her teachers, myself included, had been given training on what to watch for, and we were monitoring her closely while in school. All her behavior was consistent with her getting better. she obviously had also read the book, so to speak, and knew exactly what to do to fool us.

I am surprised also that there does not seem to be very much anxiety/grief/protest on either girl's part about not being able to see any family for many years - particularly on Matilda's part in regard to mom and Rachel. (I assume from what was written here, that Matilda will not let her mom be an exception even though she will be working at the school.)

As far as Matilda hacking the system, the light penalty stated may be leading her to think this is a test of her computer ability rather than of her ability to follow orders. As she did in this chapter, she may come up with a way to hack the system and still follow orders. Smart kid !!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

My dear Jezzi

Why would Ellen have Matilda not on suicide watch? Because there's no risk. Why did Matilda do what she did? A long, extensive trail of abuse? No the total amount of time between Mary Beth's birthday party to the attempt was only 8 weeks. So why did Matilda do it? To protect her loved ones from daddy, and protect herself from Bart. With both reasons gone and the promise of a very happy future why should there be more than minimum amount of observation. After all, what do you think Mary Beth is there for? She kept a closer watch on Matilda than the nurses would.

As for anxiety of not seeing their families, it's only been 1 day.

And as for Matilda hacking the system - only time will tell.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

"Duh"

Even someone as dence as me can read the writing on the walls. Matilda is soon going to be meeting Helen & David @ Hayfield Hall....

"We" are very amused!

So, let it be written

So, let it Be Done!!
(Yul Brynner)

Konichiwa

My dear ChrisW

Soon is a relitive term.

Raised in SLC is currently taking place in October of 2004.

Karen's story, A New Style of Education is currently in December of 2005.

Matilda will have many adventures before going to Hayfield Hall. No I'm not going to tell you what, that would spoil the surprise.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny