On the Flip Side, Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 6

"You know your father didn't mean it," my stepmother said as I sat on the swing on their porch.

"He meant every word, Marie!" I said.

"You have to see things from his perspective, Luke," she said. "You don't know how embarrassed he was when he saw you on CNN. His friends let him have it really hard."

"No harder than me," I said. "Does he think I like to be called names? Does he think I like being picked on? Does he think I like being beat up?"

"You know he doesn't," Marie said. "I guess that's one reason he doesn't want you playing field hockey or competing in gymnastics."

"That's right, sport!" my dad said, coming back at on the porch. "That's why I'm going to call your mom and tell her I don't want you to do that anymore."

"What if I don't want to quit?" I said. "Because I don't."

"Do you want people to think you're a fag, son?" he asked. "I don't want people thinking my son is queer. I don't want people to think my son is a sissy."

"I'm not gay dad!" I said. "But I don't care what people think."

"But what if I care about what other people think," dad said. "Do you like people making fun of your family?"

I ran off the porch and went running into the woods. I hated coming to California during Christmas. It wasn't very fun for me or Katie even before I decided to go out for field hockey or gymnastics.

My little brother Micah and little sister Sasha, his world evolved around them. Even moreso now that I was doing, in his words, "sissy-things. He spent most of his time out in the yard trying to teach Micah to "play ball" so he wouldn't grow up to be a "sissy" like me.

I sat in the swing at the park wishing I were back home. I couldn't wait to get on the plane and head back East.

"Is this swing taken?" Marie said.

"I guess not," I said.

Marie wasn't the evil witch mom claimed she was. She could be pretty cool sometimes.

She was what my uncle Joe called a "feminazi, tree huggin' liberal." How she hooked up with dad amazed him, since dad was "Mr. Right-wing Republican'."

I was just beginning to understand what some of that meant.

"My favorite event is the uneven bars," Marie said. "I always felt like I was flying."

"I didn't know you competed in gymnastics," I said.

"All the way through high school," Maria said. "I haven't mentioned it to your dad, but I'm proud of you. Everybody in my NOW chapter thinks you've got to be one special kid. I tell them you are."

I smiled. She brushed my hair out of my face.

"I will try to smooth things over with your dad," she said. "But you've got to give him some time."

"But I just want him to accept me for who I am," I said. "Not for who he wants me to be."

"I can't promise you that he'll fully accept that, you know how he is," Marie said. "But you know I have. I'm proud to say I've got a beautiful stepson who isn't defined by what other people think he should be.

#####

"You've got to overcome your fear, Luke!" my Aunt Paige said as I balanced with one foot on a beam maybe four inches wide and a few feet off the ground. "I'm here. So are Claire and Willow. We'll help you if you fall."

I hopped and landed on my other foot. I then pivoted around, but slipped off the beam.

"I'll never be able to do this!" I shouted.

"Don't ever say never," Aunt Paige said. "I know you can do this. But you've got to let go of that fear."

The truth is it wasn't just the fear. It was the frustration of the trip to California. It was dad's disappointment.

"Why couldn't dad just let me be me?" I thought.

He didn't call to demand that I quit. Marie was true to her word. But he didn't mask his disapproval even after Marie's talk.

"Something's gotten into you," Coach Mills said the other day at practice.

I was afraid of letting them know how I felt. I couldn't be free in practice. I was afraid it was going to affect me at meets.

My dad had me questioning everything. Should I even be playing field hockey or competing in gymnastics, much less wear a dress for homecoming or a sorority function, much less be in a sorority?

I mean, what kind of boy does those things? Maybe dad's right. Maybe there is something really, really wrong with me.

"Who are you and what have you done with the real Lucas?" Claire asked during practice.

"I'm afraid she's right," Aunt Paige said. "There is no use practicing any further unless you are focused like on gymnastics like you normally are."

Just then a woman came into "the barn". It was Marley's mother.

"I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the clinic," she told my Aunt Paige. "I want to thank you, too, Lucas. I do know you're a boy. She doesn't. She can't stop talking about her big sister!"

"We appreciate that, Mrs. Morgan," my Aunt Paige said.

"Call me Kim," she said.

"I enjoyed working with Marley," I said. "She's a special girl."

"Lucas, I want to know if you can do me a huge favor," Mrs. Morgan said. "I won a radio station contest and got two free tickets to the Jonas Brothers concert. I'd love to go with her, but she keeps talking about wanting to go with her big sister. It's a week from Saturday."

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Sure, why not?" I said.

Part of me thought, "you've got to be kidding."

But Marley melted my heart during the clinic.

I really didn't want to disappoint her.

####

I have to tell you I stayed in my little funk for about a week.

Mom tried to pry things out of me, so did Coach Mills. And Aunt Paige. Not even Gina or Beth could drag out the feelings going on inside my head about what I went through with dad.

It showed at the meet. None of my scores counted for the team in the vault or the floor. We still won, but it was by far the worst I'd done since the season began.

I thought about those things heading to Marley's house before the concert.

"I really appreciate you doing this for Marley," her mother said.

Marley was at the sitters while her mother came and picked me up.

She told me how Marley's dad ran out on them when Marley was just a baby. He paid no child support, had nothing to do with her.

Marley's mom was laid off from her job just before Christmas, so Christmas was a little skimpy. They were just now getting back on their feet.

"I found a job a couple of weeks ago, so we've been able to hang on to our apartment," she said. "Marley's had to learn to do without a lot of stuff that most little girls take for granted."

That's why the night of the concert was going to be a special night for her.

"Mrs. Morgan, can you do me a favor?" I asked. "I know this may be a strange request."

"What is it?" she said. "You've got me a bit curious."

"You said Marley thought I was a girl," I said. "She might be disappointed seeing me like this."

I was dressed in a T-shirt and boys blue jeans.

"And?" she asked.

"Can you help me look as much like a teenage girl as possible?" I said. "You know, one that really likes the Jonas Brothers."

She laughed.

"This is going to be fun!" she said as we pulled into the drive way.

She called the sitter and told her Marley needed to stay over a little while longer.

She told me to follow her up to her bedroom.

"Let's see," she said. "We're about the same height, that helps."

She pulled out a pair of faded, ripped women's blue jeans. She pulled a Jonas Brothers t-shirt from her dresser drawer.

"I got these during our trip to Disney last year before things got really tough," she said.

She then disappeared into her bathroom and came out with a bras in her hand.

"This belongs to my 12-year-old niece, she left it when she went home," she said. "Go in there and put them on."

She then applied the makeup and did my hair. She put a "doo" rag on.

She also gave me a little information on the Jonas Brothers before Marley came bouncing through the door.

"My big sister's here! My big sister's here!" she said.

"Yes, and we're about to go see the JONAS BROTHERS!" I said as she gave me a big hug.

"You know my little sister Katie is extremely jealous of us tonight!" I said as we walked out the door.

The concert itself, well, it was loud. Imagine thousands of screaming girls...well about 4,000, with maybe a few dads or brothers drug to the concert. But the crowd had to be about 99 percent female.

Marley was in heaven. She screamed at nearly every song. She told me she was in love with Joe. I joked with her and claimed I had a crush on Kevin. We danced with the rest of the girls.

I was for one night the one thing my father despised..."a girly-girl."

And it was fun, especially knowing that it made Marley's night.

"I love you big sister," she said as we walked to her mother's car.

"I love you, too Marley," I said, almost in tears.

Marley couldn't stop talking about the concert on the way home.

"You two seemed to have had a great time," she said.

"Yes, we did!" I said. "Tell your mom we're going to have to have another girls night out. Except next time, we may need to bring my sister Katie."

"Well, there is the Taylor Swift concert coming up next month," her mother said. "Maybe I can swing three tickets."

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now that's a real man!

Lucas is willing to stand up to his father about who he is & what he wants to do. Then he dresses up as a girl to take little Marley out to see & hear the Jonas Brothers. He's showing courage, resolve, tenacity, self-sacrifice, willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. Hey, isn't that what we call "manly" in our society? And he's does it by wearing bra & panties!

By the way, the twist with Marie, the "wicked stepmother," also rallying to Lucas is a nice touch for this story, too.

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

Dad's Mind Games

jengrl's picture

Dad's mind games have created unneeded stress on Lucas. He needs to think of his child's happiness rather than his own. His stepmother sounds like a great woman. She showed him the support that his selfish father seems incapable of. I think his big sister status with Marley is a great thing! He didn't even think twice about going with her to the concert. He has a caring heart and shows it. His mother has done a great job with raising him and Katie. I would feel bad for his step brother and sister if they were raised solely by their father. Thank goodness they have a mother like Marie who won't let him get too heavy handed with his attitudes.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Good On Yer, Lucas!

joannebarbarella's picture

You just keep on going, boy. My guess is that Lucas will remain a boy. A very special boy, with a wonderful heart.

Pity he can't team up with Tommy Browder,

Joanne

Alas

No one should be wanting to team up with Tommy Browder, RIP, at this point. Tommy stepped in front of a bullet and died to save one of his classmates.

Say WHAT????

Frank's picture

I don't recall Randalynn doing that to Tommy...???

Hugs

Frank

What Frank said

I just took a quick glance at the four Tommy Browder stories, and he seems to be alive and well. Mind you, he was shopping with his girlfriend in the last one, so maybe he might wish he was dead. :-)

Mark

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

A lass

laika's picture

Don't think it was Tommy Browder got shot at that Cineplex, but another player from another fine and poignant football series;
Jimmy/Jamie Callahan from one of Andrea DiMaggio's TEAM MEETING stories. But yeah, all these serieses is getting confusing.
~~("PROGRAMS! GET'CHER PROGRAMS HERE!") Hugs, Laika

.
I've been enjoying Torey's stories since the first one was posted at FM. What I love about them
is they seldom travel the well-beaten path of society's strictly regimented gender dichotomy,
the "comfortable" course where we can instantly decide who is what gender-wise,
but really explore the possibilities of individual hooman potential.
And they keep getting better!

Oooops!

Ummm... yeah, sorry. I guess I got confused.

Apologies to all concerned!

My dearest sister Pippa....

Andrea Lena's picture

...you got confused? Welcome to my world, my dear. :D


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Poison

The attitude of men like Luke's father is pure poison to the self-esteem and outlook of their children. It's one thing to provide encouragement, reinforcement, protection and a role model. It's quite another to find fault, attack confidence and show disapproval to a kind-hearted, honest, respectful child.

Two in one day again

It is indeed a treat.

I am curious however as to what 'Fem' name Lucas used while out together. Marley could not very well call her big sister 'Lucas', could she?

Lucas is still a gem. With the misfortune to have a RightWingNut for a father.

Kim

No real boy/man

Frank's picture

Can ever say "No" to a little kid...especially a little girl...or any girl for that matter LOL

I wouldn't have bonded with her and then not gone to the concert either. She will probably have to learn the truth about her big sister at some point though. Not that it should have to change anything.

Such a great couple of stories thus far :)

Hugs

Hugs

Frank

Just my wish

I don't know how much of this is already planned,so ignore this if it gets in the way, but i hope this stays light and easy and fun. It's a fantasy! What's wrong with a 'boy' - child - that can be a girl at times, or not -- or better maybe, just show what that self really is? I hope Lucas keeps finding (mostly) acceptance and goodwill without a lot of grief or angst or politics or philosophy. Just me, just my wish.

And, hey, you went for around 36 hours once without a new bit. What's with that? (just kidding!)

Joy, Jan

The story will probably slow down a bit...

I have to work nine of the next 10 days. So if the chapters slow down...that's the reason.

I do a lot of my writing late night (hence the typos) after work. I go to dance class four mornings a week, so I don't like to stay up too late!

And I also squeeze in being a single parent...and hopefully not an selfish one!

And Jan, thanks for the kind words!

Between here and home, I've got at least four kids already

Andrea Lena's picture

...if Lucas' dad doesn't want him, I'll take him...Great story, dear one! Thanks, Torey!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Lucas !

ALISON

As I've said all along,the character of Lucas is developing and he
showed his strength by standing up to a father(?)who is about as right wing as Genghis Khan and he is fortunate to have his step mother on side.
Hold onto your hats,it's going to be a wild ride for Lucas but I'm sure he
will prevail as any boy who has the guts to do what he is doing is a very
tough person in anybody's language.When he decides who he is he will handle
the situation well.

ALISON

Parents are the most selfish human beings

in the world. You will do as I say not as I do. It doesn't seem to matter to parents what a child needs to be happy, they just assume they are like their parents. But even though Lucas stood up to his dad, his dad planted the seed of guilt in Lucas' mind, and that is not a good thing.

And I am happy that Lucas was able to be a big sister to Marly, and wants to have a girly girl night out with her again. BTW I happen to love the Jonas Brothers and Taylor Swift too.

What Lucas needs to do now is confide in either his mother, aunt, Gina, Beth or any of the other girls, before this destroys what he has worked so hard to accomplish. His father is a homophobic, bigoted, prejudicial, discriminatory, right wing-republican JERK and he had no business telling Lucas how to behave since he no longer is married to his mother...natural father or not.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

While the father is 100% wrong...

Frank's picture

In his attitude and ideas...his being divorced from Lucas' mother doesn't abrogate his parental responsibilities as a father! Mom being primary custodian, and Dad having visitation rights. Again, the Dad is a piece of trash, but he's still their Dad.

Frank

Hugs

Frank

I'm glad that you write what you do...

Andrea Lena's picture

...you're candid...you're real...and I can always count on you being ....Frank?
Actually...being a parent...I make a huge amount of mistakes...but being a parent isn't one of them...I certainly hope that was...apparent? :) I know several of us in fact that are in the same boat...bailing to keep the water from sinking us while we struggle with trying to bless the kids we've got...truly an awesome task...Thanks Frank! And hugs to my erudite colleague with the kiddos below me as well....Mwah! Now where did I leave that paint remover?


Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thanks Drea!

Frank's picture

{{{hugs}}}

Hugs

Frank

Hey! Watch where you're swinging that broom!

Sweeping statements like "parents are the most selfish human beings" don't take into account all the support Lucas is getting from his mom AND his stepmom -- not to mention all of the other parents involved who support Lucas's right to do what he wants and be who he is! One Dad putting his needs ahead of his son doesn't mean ALL parents are selfish. It doesn't even mean all Dads are selfish -- just Lucas's.

And as a parent who had to give up a lot of things she wanted over the years to make sure her children had what they needed to grow up happy and strong, i'm going to decline my nomination for membership in the "most selfish human beings" club. *grin* I'll just stick with being Mom.

*hugs*

Randalynn

Once again

Lucas has proved that no matter what other people think, He will go in whatever direction he feels is right....Good for you Lucas, And just remember, Clothes are only window-dressing, It's whats inside that really matters!

Kirri

It is fathers such as Lucas'

It is fathers such as Lucas' that tend to keep the "gender pot" boiling. They are so wrapped up in themselves and their view on life and how it affects them, that they fail to realize the harm they are doing to their children or others around them. Lucas has discovered a small secret, and that is that there is NOTHING written that mandates what a man is or a woman is (other than recognized physical differences) and man/woman can BLEND together at times and be a GOOD thing, such as Lucas's decision to appear as a girl to Marley for the Jonas Brothers show. Hopefully with the right help from his mother and friends and coach, Lucas will be able to overcome the doubts placed in his head by his egocentric father and once more be "at the top of his game". Jan

I wouldn't be so down on Lucas's dad if ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

.. he was opposed to what Lucas is doing because he thought it would be harmful to Lucas. But he isn't concerned about Lucas, he's concerned about how Lucas's crossgender activities reflect on him and he ignores all the good caring things Lucas does because he does them as a "sissy" (his term).

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

On the Flip Side, Chapter 6

The father might like like what Luke is doing, but he might come to appreciate his daughter Lacy.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine