The Scoobies Do: Chapter 8 - Lexi Emerges

Printer-friendly version
The Scoobies Do
Chapter 8 - Lexi Emerges

by Jennifer Sue

Copyright © 2009 Jennifer Sue

 
Chapter 8
 
"I know I'm the newest member," Gabi began as the met. "I haven't said anything to them but with your permission I'd like to ask Lexi and Eddie if they'd like to become Scoobies."

"That sounds like a good idea," Freddy agreed. "We worked well together."

"I don't have any objections," Rocky said. "But I think we need to set up some guidelines or rules for membership before we do it, but nothing complicated. The simpler the better."

"Good suggestion, Rocky," Buffy said. "If we bring in others, we'll probably need to have a formal leader too. We can't get too many members," Buffy cautioned. "We'll have to get Mom's and Pop's okay."

"Of course," Gabi agreed as the others nodded.

"How about a secret ballot for new members by the existing members," Freddy suggested. "Only someone who gets 100% would be allowed to join."

"Yeah," Rocky smiled. "We could use raisins as the ballots!"

The others looked at him in confusion.

"You know, yogurt raisins are white and carob raisins are brown. We have them here as snacks all the time. We all take some of each, drop a white one into a can with a removable plastic lid with a hole cut in it for a yes vote, or use a brown one for a no vote, and eat the rest. That way no one would know how anyone else voted."

"And you'd get a snack," Buffy laughed. "But that sounds like a good plan."

"We can choose a leader the same way," Gabi said. "Active members would nominate leaders, then each candidate would have a can and everyone will vote for every candidate. A white raisin means yes, a brown means no. It'll take a majority to win. If we don't have a majority because of too many candidates, we eliminate all but the top two and vote again."

Everyone nodded their head.

"If we let Lexi and Eddie join, I'm sure Sandy will want to join," Rocky added. "And maybe Def, too."

"That would keep us balanced boy/girl wise," Buffy added. "Maybe we should set it up so we remain balanced boy/girl with only one allowed without an opposite."

"I like that idea," Freddy said. "That way we won’t get overwhelmed by one side or the other. My only concern is that we wind up with too much of an age spread. I like Sandy and Def, but Def is two years older than we are and Sandy is two years younger. At our ages, that can be a pretty big maturity spread."

Again everyone nodded their heads.

"I think we should talk to Moms and Pops," Buffy added. "They can give us some good advice." When she saw they all agreed, she smiled. "I'll call them to ask if we can talk to them while we eat lunch."

While they ate, Moms and Pops listened to the Scoobies as they voiced their ideas and concerns.

"You're right to be concerned," Moms said. "We have no objection to expanding the Scoobies, but we'll need to set a cut off on who and how many use the Dog House."

"While we trust you, larger groups tend to get into more trouble," Pops added. "I think no more than a dozen should be in the Dog House without an adult being present."

"As far as the age spread, that is a very valid concern," Moms declared. "Maybe you should think about taking them on as associate members. They could join you for fun and activities if they want, but would have no official say in what you do."

"I like that idea," Pops nodded. "In your Christmas Celebration, Sandy, Lexi, Eddie, and Def were being unofficial associate members. They joined in YOUR activity, you listened to their ideas and suggestions, but everyone knew it was you four who had final say."

"With associate members," Moms continued. "You'll be able to continue to run yourselves by consensus, which means by mutual agreement. That way you can function without the need for an official leader just as you've been doing. The associate members could come to the Dog House only if at least one of you were there to be responsible."

It was clear the Scoobies liked the suggestions.

"We can keep the idea of unanimous voting to invite associate members," Buffy stated. "After all, we wouldn't want to deny Rocky a chance to eat raisins!"

"Amen, sister, Amen," Rocky chuckled as everyone had a good laugh.

*****

Lexi spent the morning chatting away on a conference call with her girlfriends from school.

"We saw you on the news with those Scoobies," Faith Fuhl gushed. "Girl, you were one hot elf!"

"Yeah," Liv Good agreed and then giggled. "It was clear Eddie thought so too!"

"Lexi, you really were cute," Skye Wright giggled. "But Eddie and Def made hunky elves!"

"Be careful, Skye," Faith chuckled. "If you saw them on the TV, you should know Eddie's already taken."

"No he's not," Lexi countered defensively a little too quickly.

"Well he should be," Liv countered in a no-nonsense tone. "I'll bet once you're able to be Lexi full time you'll hook up!"

"Speaking of that, there's a good chance Alex won't be returning to school," Lexi declared in an emotionally heavy voice.

Faith sucked in her breath. "Did something happen?"

"Yeah," Lexi sighed sadly. "After the last show, the one Cindy Caishun taped."

"OMG," Skye gasped. "Does she know about you?"

"Yeah, and Gabi too," Lexi added. "But that's not a problem."

"Come on, girlfriend," Faith begged. "Then what happened?"

"My shrink was there to watch how I reacted to the stress of performing and being out in public as Lexi," Lexi sniffed.

"Lexi, you were all girl," Liv huffed. "If I hadn't known, there is no way anyone could tell you're not a real girl!"

"I know," Lexi giggled. "She said I had be Lexi full time over the holidays which I already planned to do. I have to see her on the second, and if everything is okay, I can return to school after the break as Lexi!"

The three girls squealed in delight upon hearing the news.

"We should have a slumber party to celebrate," Faith exclaimed.

"Yeah," Liv and Skye agreed.

"I'd love that," Lexi agreed. "But will your parents let us?"

Silence filled the lines for several moments as they all thought.

"I have an idea," Liv spoke up. "How about we ask our moms for a mother-daughter trip to the mall tomorrow night. Once our moms get to meet Lexi and her mom, I don't think we'll have any problems."

"That sounds like a plan," Faith agreed. "Let's call our moms and see if we can all make it."

Moments later, Lexi had her mom on the line. Excitedly she explained the her conversation with the girls. "So mom, do you think we can make it tomorrow night?"

"I think we can all meet," Bea Kahn answered. "But I think it would be better to have them come here and to invite Dr. Lee and maybe Gabi and her mom so they can see you're not the only transgendered girl."

Lexi agreed and soon arrangements were made for the mothers and daughters to meet the next evening with Dr. Lee. Def, Ike, Lyle, and Eddie would go out for a boy's night out.

So far this Christmas season was the best Lexi ever experienced. Not only had she helped make a lot of people happy by helping the Scoobies, but she’d gotten the okay to be Lexi! If the meetings with the families of her friends, this would be the best Christmas season since Jesus was born!

*****

The Scoobies returned to the Dog House after lunch and after some discussion unanimously voted to ask Lexi, Eddie, and Def if they'd like to become associate members of the Scoobies. Rocky vetoed Sandy as he felt she was still to young. He enjoyed the raisons. Gabi would ask the invitees if they were interested.. The conversation then turned to New Years Eve.

"Oh, Gabi," Buffy popped up. "I forgot you're new and don't know that the Scoobies spend New Years Eve here in the Dog House. We get here about four in the afternoon and party all night till we drop. Then it becomes a sleep over. We spend almost all New Years day here too till seven or eight in the evening.

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Gabi agreed. "Do you think we could invite Lexi and the others?"

"Sure," Buffy agreed.

Gabi had one mor question. "Are we chaperoned?"

"Yes and no," Freddy answered. "We set a video camera up to catch most of the room and send it out on The Crateful Bread website where it goes up as a live feed in place of one of their infomercials. Moms and Pops monitor the feed from their house and our other parents can check in on us from time to time by logging on."

"That is so kewl," Gabi smiled.

"We play games and eat," Rocky added licking his lips. "Popcorn, ice cream, fresh fruit, Coke, candy..."

"I think I get the idea," Gabi chuckled.

The rest of the day was spent talking, playing games, reorganizing their web-site and answering their e-mail.

*****

As arranged, The mothers and daughters along with Dr. Lee met at the Kahn home at 340 Elm Street in Hickstown Tuesday evening. Gabi and Faye were the first to arrive with Lyle and Eddie. As the four guys were leaving for their night out, Dr. Lee arrived. Shortly after that, the others arrived. The mothers of the three girls were confused and anxious about the need for this unusual get-together but their daughters steadfastly refused to reveal the subject as they'd promised Lexi. All five girls had agreed to wear conservative skirts, tights, and sweaters to show they were comfortable with their femininity.

"I apologize for not introducing you when you arrived but I feel it was a necessary imposition as I hope you'll soon understand," Dr. Lee began. "Let's start with the adults. I'm Dr. Norma Lee, a clinical child psychologist."

"My name is Bea Kahn," Bea began. "I'm a secretary at Hickstown Town Hall. I'm Lexi's mom and have a son, Def one year older. My husband Ike is a driver for Hickstown Heating. I want to thank you for coming tonight and especially want to thank you girls for being such good friends with Lexi.

"My name is Faye Bull," Faye picked up. "My husband, Lyle Bull, is a lawyer and I am his office manager. I'm Gabi's mom. Gabi is a year younger than the other girls and as you can see is quite into the Goth scene. I also have a son, Eddie who is in the seventh grade with your girls."

"My name is Cynthia Fuhl, but everyone calls me Cyn," Cyn Fuhl continued. "I'm Faith's mother and am the manager at Farmers Bank of Hickstown. My husband is S. Newt Fuhl who works at Hickstown Automotive. I also have a son, Izzy, he’s a year older than Faith."

"My name is Devine Wright," Devine picked up. "I help my husband, Byron, who owns By Wright Pharmacy. Skye is our daughter."

"My name is Alice Good," Alice finished up the adults. "My husband, S. Mel Good, and with my in-laws own Green Acres Organic Farm. Liv is my daughter. I also have a son, Johnny B., who is in fourth grade."

"I'm Liv Good," Liv began for the girls. "I'm one of Lexi's friends and I'm glad to finally meet her in person."

That brought looks of consternation to the faces of the three unknowing mothers

"I'm Skye Wright," Skye smiled. "I'm one of Lexi's friends and I too am glad to finally meet her in the flesh."

"I'm Faith Fuhl," Faith added. "Like the others I'm Lexi's friend and am glad to finally meet her.

By this time the mothers were really confused.

"My name is Gabi Bull," Gabi said. "Girls, you know my brother, Eddie. I'm a member of the Scoobies."

The mother's smiled and nodded as the Goth girl had looked familiar They'd seen her on TV in the reports Cindy Caishun had filmed featuring the Scoobies.

"My birth name was Gabe," Gabi continued. "I'm transgendered and began seeing Dr. Lee in September. Since Halloween I've been living as a girl full time, including going to school."

The mothers raised their eyebrows as they closely examined the demurely skirted yet Goth like Abby-esque girl for any sign of masculinity. Gabi sure looked like a girl with no indication that she had ever been a boy. They exchanged glances not sure whether they were victims of a joke.

"My name is Lexi," Lexi began once the surprise about Gabi's gender settled. "I want to thank Faith, Liv, and Skye for welcoming me back to school and accepting me as I am. Even though they only recently learned the full extant of my changes, they didn't blink an eye. Like Gabi, I'm transgendered. My birth name is Alex. I was the one who tried to kill himself just before Halloween. Gabi met me in the hospital during Operation Scoobies Treats. I was tied down on a bed on suicide watch in the hospital and she recognized the girl I am and freed me. Until today your daughters only ever met me when I was dressed as Alex. This is the first time they're seeing me in the flesh as Lexi. I hope to be cleared to return to school on the third as Lexi."

The mothers were now really confused. Lexi looked nice in her skirt and sweater, as girlish as their daughters. They had never thought a boy could look so convincingly girlish, and now they had met two of them.

"As the girls mentioned, Gabi and Lexi are both transsexuals," Dr. Lee picked up the conversation. "Transsexualism is NOT a choice, it is a fact. Many young transsexuals attempt to take their lives because they're scared, alone and afraid of the reactions they'd face if the truth was revealed. That's what Alex tried and we're thankful he didn't succeed, but all too many do. Faith, Liv, and Skye, I want to thank you for the friendship and support you've shown Alex since he returned to school. I really want to thank you for accepting Lexi and hope you'll continue to be her friends when you return to school. Cyn, Alice, and Devine, I hope you can support your daughters in their friendship with Lexi. If it's okay with everyone, why don't the girls go to the rec-room while the mothers talk?"

A few moments after the girls had left, the adults began to talk.

"I'd heard of transsexuals but thought that was something that only happened in the big cities," Cyn Fuhl confessed.

"It's easier to come out in a big city," Dr. Lee answered. "There is more anonymity in the city. Plus a lot of transsexuals flee their families out of fear and the city is where they'll find others like themselves."

"So physically, Lexi and Gabi are boys, but mentally, they're girls," Devine Wright said. "Do they... ah... function as males?"

"Yes, although in many cases arousal as a male makes the transsexual sick because it reminds them of their reality," Dr. Lee explained. "One of the treatments my transgendered patients receive is testosterone blocking therapy. I have to wait until I'm comfortable that they are indeed transsexual before I can begin the program. Testosterone blockers suppress the body's production, keeping or returning the male to the sexual status of a prepubescent boy. They have the equipment but it doesn't work. The treatment is fully reversible if the patient changes their mind. Gabi has been on it since just after Halloween and Lexi just started today."

"I thought that once a transsexual started treatment their boy parts died," Alice Goode said. "I know on the farm castrated animals behave quite differently."

"The testosterone blocker at the doses we use does not castrate the boys," Dr. Lee explained. "It merely puts their male bits to sleep. Continual high doses could castrate them but we monitor their blood to make sure that doesn't happen."

"How long does it take for the parts to go to sleep,' Cyn Fuhl asked.

"That depends on the person and their age," Dr. Lee answered. "Gabi's bits probably went to sleep in two to three weeks. Lexi could take four to six weeks depending upon how far along she is in male puberty."

Devine Wright nodded the asked. "How soon do they start taking female hormones?"

"That depends," Dr. Lee began. "They have to spend one year living full-time as females before we even consider giving them female hormones. Many professionals feel we should wait until the patient is eighteen. Personally, I go on a case by case basis. Unless something changes, I've been seeing Gabi long enough to already feel comfortable starting her on female hormones next November. It's still much too early for me to decide about Lexi, but so far, she seems to be on track for beginning treatments next December."

"I know how difficult is to take this all in," Faye Bull said. "It's taken a lot of adjusting to get used to having a son who is really a daughter. But the change in Gabi has been well worth it. She's never been happier. She's been accepted by her friends and at school. She is simply an eleven year old girl. We came today because you've seen her out in public with the Scoobies. Lexi played the girl elf in their Christmas celebration, and she is simply a twelve year old girl."

"Lexi really likes your daughters," Bea Kahn stated. "Alex never had any close friends and was always getting to fights. We were terrified when he tried to kill himself. Having a choice between a dead son or a live daughter was easy. Now that Lexi will be going full time, she wants to live like other girls, including sleepovers. We agreed that she could only do so with girls whose mother's knew that Lexi is transgendered. That's why we asked you to come tonight."

"I appreciate your candor and honesty," Alice Goode said. "While I trust my daughter to select trustworthy friends, I'm still concerned. I won't let Liv date a boy until my husband and I meet him. To attend a sleep-over with Lexi... I just don't know."

"I understand," Bea replied. "That's why we're here. If we hadn't told you and you found out about Lexi's birth gender, you'd always have doubts and concerns about Liv's safety. I also understand you may not be able to give us an answer tonight. I'm sure you'll want to talk to your husband."

"We're aware that males have a lot more difficulty dealing with transgender issues," Dr. Lee stated. "Before you make up your mind or tell your husband, I think it might help if each of you invited Lexi to spend an evening with your daughter in your home. You and your husband could watch how Lexi behaves and interacts. When Bea and Ike come to pick Lexi up, they can sit down for a chat with you to answer any questions and address any issues after they tell your husband Lexi is transgendered."

By the time the discussion ended two hours later, the women were quite comfortable with each other and had overcome most of their emotional reservations about Lexi's transgenderism. It was also clear there were still some emotional issues that were not as easily resolved. Over-all, the outlook was positive.

While the mothers talked, the girls chattered and giggled. Faith, Liv, and Skye couldn't get over how natural and relaxed Lexi appeared as a girl. They readily included Gabi in their conversation, and before long the five had bonded. As could be expected with tween girls, the conversation soon turned to boys.

"Now that you'll be Lexi all the time you can start going with Eddie," Faith playfully teased.

Lexi smiled and blushed.

"I know Eddie likes you," Gabi added. "He was just unsure of how to deal with a girl who was still portraying a boy. Now that Alex won't be back, I'm sure he'll be interested in getting together."

Lexi turned redder and bit her lips hoping Gabi was right.

"You're one to talk," Liv giggled. "Def seemed quite delighted to lift you on and off that box for your dance number!"

Now it was Gabi's turn to blush. "But... I don't even like boys yet!" Her feelings about boys were confusing. She did sort of like them and certainly enjoyed teasing and flirting, but she wasn't ready for more than that.

Everyone giggled. "I'm glad you said YET," Faith smiled. "That shows you're a girl."

Soon the conversation moved on to safer subjects like music and clothes. The girls were not even aware of the time when their mothers joined them after having spent a few moments watching their animated conversation.

The girls were delighted none of the mothers had refused to accept Lexi. The girls enthusiastically embraced the plan to have Lexi over for an evening. The girls quickly decided that making supper together would impress their fathers and if they had any, siblings. Gabi giggled mischievously, then suggested Lexi bring the ingredients, and if she didn't mind eating the same thing three days in a row, she should talk to Choo Choo at The Crateful Bread for a recipe and ingredients to make a simple quick and inexpensive but nutritious and delicious meal. The girls and their mothers thought that was an excellent idea as all shopped at The Crateful Bread. Bea promptly spoke up and explained that she would brook no arguments about them about paying for the ingredients. The Fuhls would be the first on Wednesday night, the Goods would be second on Thursday night, and Wrights would be last on Friday.

The girls all exchanged hugs and kisses as they headed home.

*****

Wednesday morning Bea took Lexi out to the Crateful Bread where they met with Choo Choo, who coordinated the deli and restaurant. Being customers of The Crateful Bread, the Kahn’s had known Choo Choo for years, but since Lexi had become friends with the Scoobies and participated in the Christmas Celebration, they’d become well acquainted.

“I’d be delighted to help,” Choo Choo smiled after Lexi explained her needs. “I think Beef Stroganoff would be a fairly simple to make but delicious. Let me pull up the recipe on my computer.

They headed over to the prep area where Choo Choo logged onto her PC.

“Here we are,” Choo Choo began. “Beef Stroganoff was invented by a chef working for a Russian general, Count Pavel Stroganov, in the 1890s. It became popular in the U.S. in the 1950s from servicemen returning from Europe and China after WWII. Beef Stroganoff is basically tender strips of beef and mushrooms cooked in a sour cream sauce and served over noodles, rice, or even French fries. You will want to make this with a tender cut of beef, such as tenderloin or top sirloin. Here it is, I'll print it out for you, then we'll get the ingredients and I’ll supervise you as you make a batch."

Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients

6 Tbsp butter
1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 2 1/2-inch long strips
1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
1 cup of sour cream at room temperature

Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the strips of beef. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown the beef, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches. While cooking the beef, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.

In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.

In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms.

Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce (or not). Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately over egg noodles.

Choo Choo and Bea followed Lexi as she gathered the ingredients and set up at the kitchen of the lunch bar. Although nervous, Lexi followed the recipe only needing advice as to what to look for in color and smell as she prepared the ingredients. It only took 45 minutes until the meal was finished.

After sampling the results, Lexi was delighted. As it was approaching lunch. Choo Choo took small bowls to the lunch counter where she offered them to several of the regular customers to get their opinions, not telling them it had been prepared by a twelve year old. The response was unanimous, the dish was delicious!

“Lexi, please come out front,” Choo Choo called into the kitchen.

Lexi apprehensively peeked through the door.

“This no time to be shy, young lady,” Choo Choo jokingly admonished. “The patrons want to thank the chef for the pleasure of being allowed to sample your efforts.”

Lexi blushed as she slowly walked to Choo Choo while averting her eyes from the patrons at the counter.

“Lexi, this was the best Beef Stroganoff I’ve ever tasted,” one man declared.

The other’s voiced similar positive opinions until one woman spoke up. “Yes, you were with the Scoobies! I saw you on the TV. You’re one of the elves! No wonder you can cook!”

The others chuckled and nodded their agreement as Lexi smiled and did a little curtsey, daintily dipping while holding the hem of her plaid schoolgirl skirt..

Choo Choo suggested Lexi come out each day to get fresh ingredients for the Beef Stroganoff and to answer questions that might have come up. Bea and Lexi agreed, and they gathered the ingredients needed for that evening’s meal.

*****

As Bea Kahn and Lexi Kahn were heading out to The Crateful Bread, Def Kahn briefly stopped them. "I had an idea that may help Lexi," he began. "While you're out, is it all right if I invite Eddie Bull, Izzy Fuhl, and Tad Pohl over so I can tell them about Lexi and make sure they'll continue to support us in looking out for Lexi like they have for Alex?"

"That sounds like a good idea, Bea agreed. "It'll help Lexi out tonight when she goes to the Fuhl house for supper. Also Lexi coming to school won't surprise them. Give them a call."

"Thanks Def," Lexi smiled.

"You know I'll do most anything to help my little sister," he chuckled.

As soon as he was alone he first called Eddie and explained his idea. Then he called Tad Pohl and Izzy Fuhl, his other football buddies and invited them over to his home. Within 45 minutes all four boys were gathered in the game room of the Great Kahn as they had nicknamed the place.

“Thanks for coming over,” Def began awkwardly. “I know we’re all friends and I need your help now more than ever.” Def opened his mouth several times to speak but couldn't find the words.

Izzy and Tad nodded their heads indicating their willingness to help their friend, but sensed his hesitancy.

“Tad, you’ve met my sister, Gabi,” Eddie spoke up when he realized Def wasn’t sure how to broach the subject.

“Yeah,” Tad replied unsure of the sudden change in conversation.

“I thought you had a brother,” Izzy said with a look of slight confusion.

“I used to have a brother,” Eddie answered. “Now I have a sister, she’s one of the Scoobies. You’ve seen them on TV, she was Abby in their Halloween gig, and the music box dancer in their Christmas show.”

“No way,” Izzy gasped. “You’re pulling my leg! That girl was cute. No way could she be your brother!”

“She used to be my brother, Gabe,” Eddie corrected. “She’s my sister Gabi now. Gabi is transgendered. That’s a person who’s physical gender doesn’t match up with their mental gender. Gabi is physically a boy but has the mind of a girl. She’s been seeing a shrink since September and started living full time as a girl after Halloween, including going to school.”

Izzy looked at Tad. “You’ve met her?”

“Yeah,” Tad answered. “I didn’t even realize who she was when I first saw her. She looked cute and even flirted with me. Man, she had me completely fooled... even gave me a boner!”

"That's not all too difficult to do," Eddie teased as Tad blushed.

“Def, you had to know Gabi was a boy when you helped in the Christmas show,” Izzy stated with a bit of agitation. “Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for her!”

“No,” Def chuckled. “Although she is cute. Look, Eddie said that Gabi’s transgendered. She is a girl, not a boy. But that’s not exactly why I asked for your help. I need your help with Alex.”

“The whole football team has been keeping Alex safe,” Izzy replied now totally flustered.

“Wait a minute,” Tad exclaimed as he looked at Def. “That cute elf with you and Eddie... that was Alex! Is he like Gabi... transgendered?”

All Def could do was nod his head.

“No way,” Izzy burst out. “She was hot! I know Alex. No way that chick was Alex!”

“She wasn’t Alex,” Def said defensively. “You know Alex is way too shy to do anything like that. That was my sister Lexi. She used to be Alex.”

“Lexi is just like my sister, Gabi,” Eddie added. “It was Gabi who pulled Alex out of his funk when the Scoobies visited the hospital for Operation Scoobies Treats. No one could figure out why Alex was so determined to kill himself and he wasn’t talking. Gabi somehow saw that he was just like her, transgendered. When Gabi confronted him, Alex broke down and admitted the truth.”

“All the problems Alex had were caused by his need to be a girl while denying it and trying to be all boy,” Def explained. “Once Gabi helped Alex admit he was transgendered, he changed. You’ve seen how different he’s been at school since he came back. For the most part Lexi been living and dressing like a girl since he got out of the hospital except for school. The doctor said it was too early for Lexi to go to school since she needed some time to acclimate herself to being a girl."

“Yeah, Alex has been really different,” Izzy conceded. “The way he’s been hanging with my sister Faith and her friends I thought maybe he was gay or something. I mean, he's been acting girlish. Hey, my mom and Faith and her friends and their moms went to visit a new girl friend last night... Lexi... she was Alex...”

“Yeah,” Def answered. “They were here. Alex told the girls he was transgendered the week before Thanksgiving. They accepted him as a girl because they could see he really was a girl. After the Christmas Show, Dr. Lee, Alex’s and Gabi’s shrink, gave him the okay to start living as a girl full time. That’s what the meeting was for last night. My sister Lexi met your sister and her friends and moms for the first time. If the holidays go all right with Lexi living full time as a girl, she’ll come to school when it starts up. I need you guys to stick with Eddie and me while we look out for her.”

“I’m in,” said Tad. “If Lexi is like Gabi, she is a girl. No real boy could be that girlish.”

“Hey, my mom told me a Lexi is coming to my house tonight to meet me and my dad and make supper with Faith,” Izzy said. “So this Lexi is really Alex?”

“Yes and no,” Def answered. “It's the other way around. Alex is really Lexi. Lexi has been pretending to be Alex since she got out of the hospital. The way the shrink explains it, Alex succeeded in killing himself when he jumped off the press box. Lexi has taken his place. She’s my sister.”

“I don’t understand it, but if you guys are in, so am I,” Izzy sighed. “If I don't my sister will make my life hell. I guess I’ll see how girlish Lexi is tonight.”

With that, the guys turned to some serious competitive gaming. They spent the rest of the day alternating between football and savage fighting in various video games.

*****

Gabi headed out to the Dog House Wednesday afternoon where she reported on the meeting with the mothers. They were all happy for their friend, Lexi. Buffy asked Gabi if she thought Lexi and the girls might be interested in joining them for New Year's Eve. After a bit of discussion, it was unanimously decided to invite the four girls as well as Eddie and Def if Moms and Pops approved.

"There will be lot more girls than boys," Buffy added. "We won't be too balanced."

"I won't mind," Rocky blurted out with a big grin on his face which made everyone laugh, especially as he turned bright red.

"Maybe we can ask Eddie's best friend, Tad Pohl, too so the boy girl ratio will be better,” Gabi smiled. “He's a good guy and on the football team so Def will know him. I'm sure Lexi, Faith, Liv, and Skye already know him since they're in the same class. Faith's brother, Izzy is best friends with Def, I think he might like to come too. With three of us having big brothers here, the adults should be satisfied we won't do anything bad."

"That'll give us twelve people," Buffy smiled. "Six boys and six girls, we'll be evenly matched. I'll go ask Moms and Pops if it'll be okay. If it is, we can call the rest and invite them."

Moms and Pops listened to the guest list. "Well, Buffy we know all of these families. I don't see any problems with the guest list," Pops said. "When you invite them, be sure to tell them you'll be here with Moms and I as chaperones. Also give them our phone number so their parents can call with any questions. They can check out the Dog House when they drop off their child."

"Thanks," Buffy gushed as she hugged her great grandparents before heading out back to the Dog House.

One by one they called their guest list. All were surprised and delighted to be invited. The guest list was shared and no one had objections to any of the attendees. Naturally the kids were all excited about an overnight New Years Eve Party and begged their parents to be allowed to attend. The parents of the non-Scoobies did call Moms and Pops and asked questions. The parents concerns were put at ease by knowing that Moms and Pops, whom everyone knew, would be the chaperones and that the hosting Scoobies had a clean, wholesome image. In the end, all the parents approved their children attending the party.

*****

Before heading home from The Crateful Bread, Bea called home to ask Def what he'd like for lunch. She was a pleased to learn he'd his buddies had reacted positively to the heads up about Lexi. Def explained they'd all agreed to support Lexi's transition and that they wanted pizza for lunch. Bea laughed and told him to call in an order and she'd stop by Brock Lee Pizzaria to pick them up.

When they arrived home Lexi helped carry in the six Pizza boxes. Holding the boxes kept her hands from shaking. The boys smelled the pizza as soon as it entered the house and all four paused their game and scurried to the kitchen.

"Wait until I get out paper plates and napkins," Bea tried to slow them down as they peeked into each box. "Lexi, please get enough Cokes out of the refrigerator for everyone."

Bea never had a chance to put the paper plates down as the guys snatched them from her hands and began snagging slices.

Eddie mumbled "Thanks Mrs. Kahn," just before he took his first bite.

The other guys nodded their thanks as their mouths were already full.

Eddie nodded his head in thanks to Lexi as he took a Coke. Again the other guys followed suit, never even glancing at her.

The boys sat around the table with the pizza boxes in the middle as they wolfed down their pizza. Lexi and Bea sat on stools at the breakfast bar and nibbled their slices while watching the boys. When the pizza was gone, the guys took turns seeing who could belch the longest and loudest. Bea and Lexi shook their heads in response to their uncouth antics but understood they were just being typical boys. Laughing, they headed back to the game room to resume their games. The guys had swooped in like a swarm of locusts, devoured everything in site, and moved on.

Lexi was a bit perplexed as she surveyed the mess they'd left behind. She knew that a little over two months before she would have been right in the thick of the feeding frenzy. Yet now, she felt almost repulsed by their slovenly manners. To make things worse, Tad and Izzy hadn't even reacted to seeing her in a skirt! Without a word from her mom, she strode into the game room and stepped in front of the view screen.

"Hey, come on Lexi, quit blocking the screen," Def scolded as he and the other guys struggled to see around her.

"Pause the game, boys," Bea ordered as she saw the pandemonium Lexi was creating. "Lexi wants to talk to you."

Groans came from all four boys as they paused the game and sourly looked at Lexi as she stood with her hands on her hips glaring at them in the way women have stared oblivious men down since the beginning of time.

It was only then that Tad and Izzy realized the girl in front of them was Lexi. Their mouth's dropped open. Lexi was as cute in person as she was as an elf!

"Oh, hey guys, I'd like to introduce my sister Lexi," Def declared as he realized he'd blown it.

"Lexi, you're cute," Tad blurted out. "How did I miss seeing you in the kitchen?"

"You looked right at me when I gave you a Coke," Lexi scolded.

"Man, I'm really sorry," Tad replied. "I guess the smell of pizza shut down part of my mind."

"More like most of your mind," Lexi jabbed. "Well, Izzy, has the cat got your tongue?"

"Ahh, yeah," Izzy slowly responded as he shook his head in disbelief. "And most of my brain. You are cute. But you're a boy not a girl. I don't understand how a boy can look like a hot girl?"

"Because she is a hot girl, you doofus," Eddie laughed. "Remember, this is NOT Alex. Alex is dead. This is Lexi and you can tell she's all girl just by looking her."

"I can tell that much," Izzy answered still confused by the gender transformation. "It's just that I expected her to look like Alex in a dress, not some cute girl! This is going to take me some time to wrap my head around the change. Does Gabi look as cute and natural as a girl?"

"She sure does," Tad replied. "You saw her on the news."

"I can understand your surprise," Lexi spoke up. "But will you stick up for me if things get nasty at school?"

"No problem there, Lexi," Tad replied. "Your appearance might cause a stir for a couple of days but you look so girly it'll pass quickly."

"You'll have my support too," Izzy said. "Man, this is just so weird. I didn't know boys could just turn into girls."

"Boys just don't turn into girls," Lexi replied. "We've always been girls. It's just we got stuck in the body of a boy. I never felt right being a boy. I just figured I was really messed up for being drawn to girlish things and denied it even to myself which made me angry. I hated myself so much I really did want to kill myself. I was frustrated and ashamed, that's why I refused to talk in the hospital. It was only when Gabi revealed she was a girl stuck in a boys body that I was able to open up. She saved my life. There's no way I could ever go back to pretending to be a boy. I had to return to school as Alex, but I couldn't be Alex any more. I was Lexi in drag. I know most of the kids at school think I've gone gay, but I'm really just a girl."

"It's cool, Lexi," Def said as he saw his sister was holding back tears. He gave her a warm hug. "Let it out, Lexi. You know Dr. Lee told you not to hold things inside."

Lexi wrapped her arms about Def and buried her face in his shoulder as she began to sob.

Tad looked quite uncomfortable and had no idea what to do. He looked to Izzy and Eddie for guidance. Izzy and Eddie just shrugged. They had witnessed similar crying jags with their sisters and knew they just had to wait it out.

When Lexi cried her herself out she collected herself. "Thanks Def," she timidly smiled as she disengaged herself from their hug. "I'm sorry guys, I'm worried about going back to school as a girl and it just caught up with me."

"It's okay Lexi," Izzy smiled. "You just proved you're a girl. Faith does the same thing when she's anxious about something. I'll be there for you, don't worry."

"We'll all be there for you, Lexi," Eddie added. "You let us know if anyone steps over the line and we'll make sure it never happens again."

"Thanks guys," Lexi smiled. Then she hesitated and bit her lower lip. "Would you mind if I gave each of you a hug?"

Tad was flustered but Eddie smiled, stepped forward and opened his arms to accept Lexi's hug. Izzy smiled and did the same. Tad had no sister so wasn't sure what to do, but he forced a smile and accepted Lexi's hug. Then she left the room to prepare for her visit to the Fuhl home.

"That just proves even more that she's a girl," Izzy chuckled at Tad's discomfort. "I think supper tonight will be quite interesting."

Everyone laughed and turned back to their game.



To Be Continued...

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting and fun.

This is a great story line and would be interesting and funny even without the hilarious names. I say most of the names aloud to get the full effect. But, I just keep chuckling. Thanks for sharing your creative Humor. Keep writing.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Agreed this is a fun story

... it is a good change from the uber serious stories. Still, I am waiting for a Great Dane to appear sometime soon !

^_^

Kim

The lee Family

Ah the Lees - There's Joyce (Joyous - geddit?)Lee Brock's wife, Meryl Lee their oldest daughter, her younger sister Fiona "Fi" Lee and the son Sylvester " Syl" Lee.
More silly names to play with. :)

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

This just gets better...

Great episode, more pun damage on the names (A Sinful banker - hahaha!), and even a recipe thrown in for good measure.

Can't wait to see what the new year brings to this story...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!