Decisions

Printer-friendly version
Decisions
By
Audrey Cooper

A little bit of nonsense about what I get up to when I’m working away from home.

 
 
I’m sitting in the bathroom of my hotel room; the illuminated magnifying mirror lit and in position. I look at my face, studying my eye brow closely.

Which one?

This one. Its just a little tidying. I aim the tweezers carefully, selecting the innocent, almost invisible hair. I release it and look again. No. Its fine, no one will ever notice.

Its going to go!

The tweezers go in again, they know their target now, and get a good grip. Looking in the mirror I gently start to apply pressure. Nothing happens. I increase the force; the tweezers move away from the skin I can see the hair stretching.

Its coming out!

I pull harder with triumph, the tweezers move quickly away from my face. Yes!

No.

The hair is still there, looking a little twisted, battle hardened maybe.

Hurumph!

Once more the tweezers go in. I grip hard, my knuckles lightening with the effort. There will be no prisoners this time. I pull, again I see the hair appear between skin and tweezer, is it slipping again? It must be, there is so much of it. Undeterred, I grip harder and pull. It slides out.

Theeeeow!

I look at the folicle. How deep is the root on that? It must have gone down to my skull!
I study my face again. I can’t see where the hair was. I can’t see any difference.

Good.

If I can’t see the difference when I know what I have done, no one else will. I’ll be safe from embarrassment.

I can’t see any difference and that makes me sad.

Audrey Cooper
October 2009.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mixed feelings

We agonise over whether or not someone would see what we did; yet, we were disappointed if WE couldn't see it.

Would my work colleagues notice? Part of me wanted them to do so; another part was scared that they did.

A few minutes of courage and joy, followed by a mixture of fear and disappointment.

Short and sweet.

Susie

Great to see your work!

Wow Audrey!

By my reckoning this is the first bit of writing you've posted here in more than four years. It's great to see!

I posted a message here the other day looking for a conclusion to your story How did I get into this. By any chance do you have one?

I found Decisions quite different to the other work of yours that I've read. You describe Decisions as “a little bit of nonsense.” I'd just like to encourage you to keep writing and publishing your work.

Pertinent Significance

Update

Audrey kindly posted an explanation as to why there is no conclusion to How did I get into this on my blog.

Pleasantly Surprised

Thank You Audrey

You have given voice to what many women feel about getting ready. Me, I see the inner beauty.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Short, and oh so sweet!

Undiscovered, this has sat here for months and months.... I loved it! Ginger x