NCIS - A Time of Innocence, Part 1/2

Printer-friendly version

Gibbs and the team take onboard a new Agent, but little do they know quite how close to the case they are...

NCIS — Naval Criminal Investigative Service
A Time of Innocence
Part 1
A fan fiction
By Alyssa Plant
edited by Valerie Preston

 


 
Leroy Jethro Gibbs raised the coffee cup to his lips and took a long draft of the precious liquid. The elevator car rose up through the floors of the NCIS headquarters building towards the squadroom. The doors pinged open and within a half a second he knew his morning was ruined.

“Gibbs” smiled Director Vance warmly. “I never knew you arrived this late, I always though you snuck in with the cleaning crew.

“Had to get a refill.” Gibbs muttered raising his takeout coffee cup. “What do you want Leon?” Gibbs asked suspiciously, looking over at his boss.

“Mcgee.” Vance replied. “There’s a new cyber crimes taskforce the Joint chief’s are setting up, Secnav (secretary of the Navy) wants us to give them a team, Agent Mcgee is the best we have.”

“So what do I get while the Secnav kisses ass on the hill? You’re leaving me a man down on short notice.”

“I thought it was about time Agent Mcgee moved on anyway. He’s been a probie for what? 4 years?.”

“I like my team Leon, Jenny never interfered with how I ran it.” Gibbs growled as he took a sip from his steaming cup.

“Yeah well I’m the director last time I checked. And don’t go accusing me of meddling Gibbs. Secnav says jump, I ask how high.” shrugged Vance. “look, I’ve found you a replacement, If you don’t like him by the time the task force is over with, ill give you Mcgee back. Ok?”
 
 
The elevator doors slid open and Jethro Gibbs stepped out onto the squadroom floor.

“How high Mr director?” he called back as he left Leon Vance standing in the elevator.

“Are you actually working?” Ziva David asked casually as she slid up behind Anthony Dinozzo’s chair. Jumping, Tony slapped the screen’s power button and turned to glare at his college.
 
 
“Actually I was looking through pet suppliers to find you a collar with a bell” He replied smiling sweetly.

“Rawr.” Ziva purred and made a playful claw motion towards Tony.

“Come on to Dinozzo in your own time Ziva.” Gibbs said appearing around the corner.

“I was not.” Replied Ziva indignantly, crossing her arms. Poking her in the ribs Dinozzo grinned. “Do you think we can get one in Gibbs’ size?” he stage whispered.

Smirking, Ziva approached Gibbs’ desk.

“Ah, Gibbs, I have that file on the Petty Officer Martinez case….” She began hesitantly, slipping the file onto her boss’s desk. He was in an especially bad mood this morning.

“Give it to Thomas, We pick up a new case when the probie arrives.”

“Ziva looked confused, and retrieved the file before heading out of the team’s office space to find Agent Thomas, exchanging a confused glance with Tony on her way out. He didn’t seem to understand either…
 
 
“You’ve never called Mcgeek Probie before Boss…” Tony asked curiously.

“And I haven’t started.” muttered Gibbs, not taking his eyes off the file he was reading.

“We’re getting a new probie?” asked Tony slowly. “Why?”

“The Director sent him to do his computer thing…” replied Gibbs, looking up from the folder. “And we have a replacement Probationary Agent for the meanwhile.” He sighed taking off his glasses. “Who I fully intend to pass on to another team once we get Mcgee back from DC.”

“When are we getting them?” Tony asked curiously. “Any fun facts about this one? You haven’t given me much time to prepare… I’ll need all new material after Mcgeek…”

“Any time now I guess.”

Dinozzo turned and found a young agent looking at him with an apologetic smile.

“Probationary Agent Samson… I was told to report here by the Director?”
 
 
Agent Samson was a small man, and the term man fitted about as well as his cheap suit Dinozzo noted. He had a very slight build, fine features, and his straw blonde hair was tied back in a low ponytail. There was something intriguing about his appearance that Tony couldn’t put a finger on.

“You been issued a weapon yet?” Gibbs asked without looking up.

“I… ah, no? I thought probationary agents were unarmed?” Samson stammered wondering if he had made a mistake.

“Ziva.” Gibbs called, somehow sensing the Israeli was stood by back of the team office area. “Take Agent Samson down to the armoury and get him issued up.”

Looking up, Gibbs regarded the young agent. “Nobody goes unarmed on my team, if you don’t have the right tools, don’t attempt the job…”

“Gibbs rule number 22” Ziva whispered as she led Samson out of the office. “He has… These rules that we all work by… you will learn them, I am sure….” She smiled pressing the elevator call button.
 
 
Stepping into the lift, she leaned back against the wall and crossed her arms, looking at Agent Samson. “I’m Ziva David.” She said, extending a hand.

“Agent Samson.” Mumbled the new boy quietly.

“Do you have a first name?” Ziva asked, cocking her head slightly and shooting Agent Samson a enquiring look.

“Toby.” He shrugged. “Can I ask a question?”

“Firstly, you appear to be working with us for some time. So here are the rules.” Ziva began, raising the fingers on her hand to tick off as she went.

“Firstly, Gibbs is ‘Gibbs’ maybe Agent Gibbs till he says otherwise, but definitely not Sir. Secondly, his word is law, follow it and you shall survive. Also, ignore Tony, He will try to bully you as the probie, but he means well.” She smiled lowing her last finger.

“Oh, and never spill Gibbs’ coffee…” she stated seriously.

“His coffee?” Toby asked, not sure if he wanted to hear the answer.

“It may happen at some point, from what I have heard, its inevitable, Just… try not to...” She grimaced, turning to face the door as the lift came to a halt.
 
 
“Hey Boss.” Tony began, moving over to Gibbs desk, “Did you ok this guy with Vance?”

“Orders are orders Tony.” Gibbs sighed. “And play nice.”

“Now I’m always nice boss… Tony smirked. “Timmy turned out sweet as punch.”

“That’s exactly my worry.” Began Gibbs, You try to actually teach him something, He’s not here forever.”

“Come on boss…Mcgee looks more dangerous than this guy… What did his record say?”

“First in his class from Michigan State… majored in… Criminology and history.” Gibbs replied checking the file. “His fitness is good, and he has a list of martial arts on his file, Good initial training grades. Not a bad agent.”

“But he’s green boss… Come on… Who does the Director think we are? Baby sitters?
 
 
“Apparently.” Replied Gibbs, draining his 3rd Coffee cup before sending it to join its brothers and sisters in the trash. “Either way, I’ll need you and Ziva to pick up the slack, just for a while.”

Tony nodded. “Sure boss.”
 
 
Toby handled the Sig Sauer p228 he had been issued in the elevator ride back up to the squad room. He had waited for this… He was a federal agent, with a gun and a badge… finally heading towards his dream job. Well part of it.
 
 
Ziva lead the way back to the office area. Agent Samson would be using the vacated desk that had belonged to Agent Mcgee. Toby felt like he was treading in someone else’s shadow, but at least according to Ziva’s story of her arrival; his shadow was still moving. Sitting at the desk, he looked around the small enclosed space that made up their office. All the other Probationary agents in his class had talked about Agent Gibbs… Gibbs and his team… Toby couldn’t wait to tell his friends Agents Amy Marlin and Hannah Swift, that he had been put into THE Gibbs’s team…

“Grab your gear.” Gibbs growled as he strode into the office space, grabbing his sidearm from his desk draw and vanishing just as quickly again towards the elevator. With a scramble Toby followed the other agents making it to the closing doors in time to just slip through…
 
 
“What is it boss?” Tony asked jogging to keep up with Gibb’s rapid stride.

“Navy Lieutenant found dead in Norfolk.” Gibbs replied as they made their way into the parking lot to pick up an agency car.

“Interesting circumstances too.” He said quietly, almost to himself.
 
 
Arriving at the scene after a lengthy freeway journey, the team pulled up by a side street in downtown Norfolk.

The four agents made their way across to the cordon as the ME’s van arrived. Flashing their badges, they entered the service alley. Tony flicked his camera on and began to document the scene, and Ziva moved off to speak with a local Leo. Gibbs knelt by the body; Toby could see he was concentrating hard, looking at the young woman before them with intense concentration. She was pretty; a tall young woman with short spiky hair and fine elfin features. She was wearing her Navy dress uniform; the blouse drenched in blood from a cruel gash in her throat.
 
 
“What do you see?” Gibbs asked Toby without looking round.

Toby studied the body intently, trying to remember his training. “She was attacked standing up, by the blood pattern.”

Gibbs nodded, not taking his eyes off the body. “Anything else?”

“She was moved.” Toby almost smiled, realising he had noticed, despite the guilt he felt at his happiness. “There is no blood pooling around the body, she was killed elsewhere and dumped… ah, sorry, I cant see anything else.”
 
 
“She was redressed. Here….” Gibbs muttered, pointing to a mark of residue on her chest above the open top buttons of the blouse. Toby leaned forward and noticed the tape residue; nearly swamped by the blood flow he had missed it.

“This is what now Tony? You’re third?” Ziva chimed from across the alley.

“Why are you keeping score?” Dinozzo replied incredulously.

“What?” Toby asked Innocently. “His 3rd what?”

“Transsexual.” Ziva answered smiling. Tony does not like them.” bending to continue sifting through some trash.
 
 
“Not a word probie.” Tony growled and carried on measuring.

Wait, what? This is a woman isn’t it?” he asked slowly, turning to look at the victim again.

“His Navy ID is for a Lieutenant Daniel Braskin.” Ziva answered without looking up. “The photograph matches, somewhat, and we checked….” She finished looking over at Toby. “Are you having a problem Like Agent Dinozzo?”

Toby shook his head firmly. “I was just surprised, she’s so pretty.”

“Indeed.” Ziva smiled sadly. “It could also provide motive for their death.”

Toby had a thought, and made his way to the body, now on a gurney before being loaded onto the van and unzipped the body bag.

“What are you looking for?” The Elderly ME, a Doctor Mallard asked curiously. “Can I undo the buttons on the blouse?” Toby asked, and on receiving a permitting nod, unbuttoned the blouse.
 
 
Looking around the young woman’s breasts, he noticed more of the residue, but nowhere else. He rebuttoned the blouse out of respect for the dead young woman, much to Doctor Mallard’s approval.

“What were you looking for?” he asked the young probationary agent curiously.

“The tape Agent Gibbs mentioned… part of why we suspected she had been redressed after being bound… its not… well it is, but not how he thinks….”
 
 
“Go on.” Doctor mallard prompted, wondering where the young agent was heading.

“Well, she was transgender right? And had Male ID… Serving US navy… So she clearly hid herself when she was on duty… The tape was from where she bound her breasts… to pass as a male… So I don’t think she was redressed, Plus the blood flow is too extensive for someone who was cut and dropped, before being moved, redressed and dumped… I’m not as experienced as agent Gibbs, but that, coupled with the blood on her hands suggests she walked after the incident, her hands trying to stem the flow… There may be another crime scene…”

“Good.” Gibbs said, appearing behind Agent Samson. “You can help Tony search for any blood trail.” sending the Probie off with the more experienced Agent.
 
 
“He’s good.” Duckie mused as the two watched Agent Samson and Dinozzo begin searching.

“Uhuh.” grunted Gibbs casually.

“You’re still angry about the Director taking Timothy away?” The doctor asked his friend.
“He’s the boss,” Gibbs replied curtly. “But you’re right; At least he’s got more street sense than Mcgee had when he started.

Duckie Nodded, and patting his colleague on the back, proceeded to climb into the Van to begin the journey back to headquarters.
 
 
Back in the office, Toby was running through the Lieutenant’s life, trying to map out their last 3 days to place them at the scene.

He felt so sorry for the woman. She had been secretly living her own life…. Balancing the job she loved with the person she was. He had found a photograph of the girl with her family in her purse; as a girl. Toby had offered to be the bearer of bad news; a task all too willingly given. The team’s comments he had overheard here and there suggested they would put their foot in it, intentionally or not at the worst possible moment… Her parents didn’t need that.
 
 
“What have you got?” called Agent Gibbs by way of greeting to the team.

Leaping to his feet like a puppy greeting its master, Tony launched into his theories….

“Well boss, we found the original scene, It was near a side entrance of a gay bar over on Williamson, CCTV placed the Lieutenant leaving at around 1, and talking to several people before moving off alone towards where the incident took place. We found the knife in some dumpsters behind the bar; it’s with Abbi…. He managed to get as far as where we found the body before he bought it, There were several pooling where he stopped enroute, explaining the lack of blood at the secondary scene.” He said smugly.

Gibbs nodded briskly before turning his gaze on Ziva, who proceeded to detail the Lieutenant’s naval life and associates, none of whom thought anything out of order about him.

Before he knew it, Toby felt the team’s eyes on him.
 
 
“I, ah, Called the bar, she was a regular, Used the name Sharon, bartender couldn’t give me a last… Came in every night around 8; stayed till 11 and left alone; almost like clockwork. Nothing exciting in her life, kept a low profile, no sign of a lover, but had been known to date, I got a few descriptions of guys she was seen with at the bar, its ah, Transgender bar, not a gay bar.” He finished quietly, glancing at Tony.

“At least someone works around here.” announced Gibbs taking a sip from his coffee cup. “Ziva, get on to Abbi, see if she has any prints from the knife, Tony get down to the bar and ask around about him, see if you can find any friends…”

“Ah, Sir, sorry, Agent Gibbs…” Toby began, realising he probably shouldn’t interrupt.

Gibbs stopped mid sentence and looked questioningly at Toby as if he really ought to have a good reason.

“Regardless of Tony’s feelings to the victim, He really should say She and her, use female pronouns, if you go into that place like… you talk here, you will get nowhere.”

“Look probie, I know how to conduct an investigation… I’ve been doing this, oh, 6 years?”

“Dinozzo, the only good communication you’ve had with a transsesexual was when you stuck your tongue down their throat, Listen to Agent Samson, be nice to them, and they will talk to you… You go in there like yourself and you won’t even get the time…”

Dinozzo looked like he was going to say something but simply nodded instead before grabbing his things and making for the elevator.

Ziva gave Toby a curious glance before returning to her computer screen.

“You can sit down now Samson.” Gibbs muttered without looking up.

Blushing, Toby returned to his desk and carried on profiling the victim.
 
 
Toby stood by the sink in the men’s room washing his hands when the door opened, and banged closed again. He looked up when he heard no footfalls on the tiled floor; Officer David was leaning back against the closed door, arms crossed with that same look of amused curiosity.

“What are you doing in here?” he squeaked indignantly.

“Maybe I could ask the same question?” she purred, stepping forwards purposefully. “Some things do not add up Toby Samson, I mean no err, malice? Is that the word? But I have what people call an inquiring mind.” She continued, stopping quite close to Toby.

Ziva regarded him for a second, and flashed a quick grin before speaking again:

“This case is more than a job to you I think?”

“No, I don’t know her.” Toby answered quickly, knowing his nervousness showed. “I just don’t like seeing people hurt for something they cant help, I was bullied a lot in high school…” he answered hoping she took the bone.

However Ziva was not thrown; “You have yet to slip in pronouns; even Gibbs has by accident. You were particularly upset when you found out her identity, and since Tony’s reactions you’ve rather disliked him, yes?

“He was a bigoted arsehole.” snapped Toby with a look of distain.

Ziva reached out and gently touched Toby’s forearm, “You’re personally involved in this case Toby.” She stated flatly. “Why?”
 
 
“I said…” He replied stepping back till his backside contacted the row of sinks. “Its really not a big deal Ziva, I just never expected to find this sort of thing coming up… here, or how id deal with it.”

“Please do not be insulted if I am far off the wall here,” she said shaking her head, “ No… Ball! Yes. This is not your first contact with transgender people? You seem aware of how our Lieutenant bound her breasts… from an intimate perspective too… and you knew that they would clamp down if Tony had used his normal methods. “Why?”

“I, ah.” Toby stammered helplessly.
 
 
Ziva looked at the young agent; in his flustered state, it showed more, he was having trouble maintaining the mask he used. Her years reading people had told her he was hiding something significant from the moment she met him. A faint aura of falsehood around his behaviour and the very precise wording of someone thinking about what they are saying carefully… there had been cracks, but she would not have connected the dots if it had not been for this case…

“You are transgender, yes?” she asked softly.
 
 
Toby looked for some way out of the cul-de-sac he had backed into, but there was nothing.

“Please don’t tell anyone.” He whispered quietly, looking anywhere but into her eyes.

Ziva pulled the young agent to her and hugged him tightly as he sobbed. She had expected something, but not quite this. Now she knew why the case was effecting him so…
 
 
Toby let himself into his apartment, dumping his case and coat by the door. He wandered into the kitchen and opened a bottle of white wine that was cooling in the refrigerator. Pouring himself a glass, he took a sip of the chilled liquid as he padded through to his bedroom, enjoying the taste and the feeling of relaxation it gave him.

Placing the glass on the dresser, he slipped the clothes from his body and stepped into the shower in his adjoining bathroom. As the warmth of the water soothed his aching muscles, Toby began to cry quietly to himself. He hadn’t told another living soul about himself, and through all of his effort and ability, she had seen through him. Why had they gotten that case? Why couldn’t he bottle it up for one lousy investigation? Thinking back to when he spoke to the girl’s parents, he was so jealous of her, and so sorry for her parents. They had only just got to know their daughter, and she had been brutally taken from them. Toby resolved to solve this case. Not to impress Gibbs, or anyone, but he owed it to the girl… and herself.
 
 
Wrapping a towel around her body, Juliet Samson stepped carefully from the shower, hooking an errant lock of sodden blonde hair behind her ear. Wiping the steam from the bathroom mirror, she studied her reflection in the steamy glass. She was never going to win Miss Virginia, but she had a pleasant enough appearance. Juliet had always loved her face, It made her feel more like the girl she felt she was, despite other biological factors to the contrary. Sighing, she smudged the reflection with a damp hand and left the bathroom. Patting her body dry, she selected a bra and panties from her drawer and slipped them on, the bra cupping her small breasts the heavy suit disguised. Pulling on an oversized tee shirt, she slumped down at the dressing table and started up her laptop computer while taking another sip from the wineglass.

Checking her emails, she began to search the net for local transgender support groups. It had been something she had avoided, partly due to her career, and things she heard…

Flicking through the listings, she found a meeting in Downtown Norfolk at a bar called Sally’s, it was 5 blocks over from the scene, and she was sure there would be a great deal of gossip… and it was meeting tonight.

It took a moment of soul searching to convince herself to do it, but she knew that her life had changed irreversibly. She couldn’t hide anymore, and she had to do this, for herself, and for the young lieutenant. Of course, her source of any information and method of obtaining it would remain her secret…Gibbs would understand that? Right?
 
 
Pulling her tee-shirt off, she began ransacking her wardrobe for something suitable. Beyond dressing up at home, she had never really been brave enough to go out as herself, and as such, most of her wardrobe ended up on the floor in the search for that perfect outfit.
 
 
After much searching, she found a pretty knit white sweaterdress that ended mid thigh, she threw it onto the bed, and after ransacking her drawers, found the perfect black stretch belt and patterned tights to accompany it. Rolling up the tights, she slipped the dress over her head, and flipped her now dry hair from the collar and fastened the belt around her narrow waist, accentuating it further. After a light application of makeup, she sat on the bed, bag in hand, wondering if she could really do it. Sipping the wine, she nervously slipped her foot along the carpeted floor, feeling the sensation of the material against her foot. She felt ok, she looked ok… but what if someone thought she was a man in a dress? No, she had to do this, it was important. Checking her watch, she saw she had barely enough time to reach the bar. Slipping on her tan ugg boots, she slipped out of her apartment and down to the parking garage.

Soon she was zipping down the freeway that connected DC to the Virginia coast. It felt liberating to be out, existing as herself. She thought back to what Ziva had said in the restroom. Was it that obvious? She wondered whether that was a bad thing in itself. Checking the clock on the dash, she noticed she was cutting it fine to arrive with enough time to scope the place out properly. In her nervousness, her foot inched down on the pedal a little further…

The blue flashing lights stopped Juliet’s heart for a moment. What was she going to do? She was a federal agent, in drag, caught speeding? Gibbs would hear of this, she knew. She was so busted…

What if? Well it was partly true… no, it was all true…. Pulling over to the shoulder, she stopped the car and waited for the officer to approach.
 
 
Opening her window as the officer approached, she tried to remain calm and composed.

“Evening ma’am.” Smiled the officer, giving Juliet the once over. Do you know how fast you were going?”

“Over the limit, but I have good reason.” She answered confidently.

“Oh, what’s that then?” smiled the young highway patrolman, taking a chance to peek at Juliet’s legs through the open window.

“I’m an undercover NCIS agent.” She responded looking at the officer.

“Huh? What’s NCIS?” The patrolman asked with a puzzled expression.

“I’m going for my badge ok?” She asked reaching into her purse on the passenger seat and retrieving her ID wallet. “Here.” She said handing it to him.

The man looked at the ID card for a moment. “Step out of the Car ma’am.”

Stepping out of the vehicle she placed her hands against the bodywork, “What’s wrong? She asked indignantly.

“You expect me to believe this is your ID?” asked the officer with a hint of annoyance. “That you are Agent Toby Samson?”

“Yes…” replied Juliet with a bored expression. “Did you miss the part where I said I was undercover?”

“Huh? You’re a dude?” asked the Officer dumbly.

“Do you want me to phone my superiors and report you for jeopardising a federal investigation?” she asked, turning around to face the officer and fixing him with a serious expression. “You have seen my Identification, and received explanation for my appearance; do you want me to get my sig Sauer out of my purse to show you?” she asked, tilting her head to one side and raising her eyebrows questioningly, stepping towards the officer.

“Ah, no ma’am, ah, I mean Sir, sorry.” The officer stumbled before turning to return to his patrol car. Juliet stood and watched him return to the cruiser, hand on her hip. The officer turned and looked back at her with a look of confusion, shaking his head, before finally getting into the car and pulling away. As she slumped down into the seat, the wave of relief flashed over her. That had been too close…. The highway patrolman’s reaction was surprising for her. Did she really look that female? That convincing? The thought made her feel happy, yet worried at the same time. The Israeli agent Ziva had worked it out… how long before others?
 
 
Thanks to her lead foot, Juliet arrived at Sally’s bar with five minutes to spare. It was all wrong…. She should have been here much earlier… going in without a good recon was dangerous, she knew, but it was only a transgender bar? What harm could it really do?

Getting out of her car, she slowly walked over to the main entrance of the bar. Stepping inside, she was greeted by a pleasantly quiet atmosphere. Soft music was playing, and there were small groups of people sat around chatting.

Juliet approached the bar and waited while the barmaid served another customer.

“Hey, what can I getcha darling’ The barmaid asked cheerily taking Juliet’s attention from a rather gaudily dressed man in what appeared to be a Vegas showgirl outfit drinking a beer.

“Oh, ah, a white wine please, dry if you have it.” She asked, “Uh, I don’t suppose you know where I ought to go for the meeting tonight? This is my first time…”

“Sure honey, back room marked private, near the ladies room.” She smiled handing Juliet the drink. Slipping the barmaid a 10, Juliet thanked her and made her way towards the rear of the bar. Finding the door as described, she waited for a moment, wondering if she ought to knock….

“Just go in hon. We don’t bite.” Smiled an older woman in a pink dress that had appeared behind her from the restroom.

Juliet pushed the door open and entered the room; it was a small but comfortable place, like a large lounge… sofas and chairs made a rough circle, and there were small clusters of people chatting amongst themselves.

Despite the fact she clearly belonged here… Juliet felt extremely awkward. She was by far the youngest present by 10 years at least…. The others all seemed to be engrossed in their conversations, and she really didn’t want to approach anyone…

“Hi there.”
 
 
Juliet turned to see a middle-aged woman in a cardigan and ankle length skirt, wavy auburn hair cascading down to her shoulders and tiny rimless glasses.

“My name is Hillary, and I’m the group coordinator. “Your first time here?” she smiled warmly.

Hillary was clearly transgender, her large frame and dark shadow marring her otherwise feminine appearance.

“Ah, yes,” she blushed. “I saw your group advertised online… I hope its ok I came?”

“Sure sweetie, we always welcome new members… Do you have a name you’d prefer we use?”

“Juliet.” She answered. Hilary looked confused for a moment then smiled broadly. “Why don’t you take a seat over here and we’ll get started huh?” she smiled gesturing to a sofa.

“Ok everyone, lets get started.” She announced loudly clapping her hands for attention.

Once the group was seated, they began going around, giving their names, how old they were, and why they had come. A lot were cross dressers Juliet found out.
 
 
Finally, it came to her turn. Taking a deep gulp from her wine to calm her nerves, Juliet stood.

“Hi, my name is Juliet, and I’m 23, and I…. ah, I guess I’m here because I’m transsexual.” She blushed, rushing to sit down again.

“Hey don’t be nervous sweetie.” rumbled the one woman mountain to her left, “Tell us some more about you.”

Smiling sheepishly, she continued. “Well, uh, I guess I felt different from a young age…. I know it’s a cliché.” She continued, rolling her eyes, “But I guess I always felt that way, like my body was wrong, you know?”

Most of the group smiled and nodded in agreement.

“I went to college at Michigan state…. I’ve been working for the….” At the last moment, it struck her that the truth may not be a good idea. “A law firm in DC, I’m a legal secretary.” She improvised. “I guess I want to start being me, like, all the time, and I didn’t really know where to begin… she continued sheepishly. “I mean not this.” She gestured plucking at her dress, “But like, properly, surgery and stuff.”

“Well I’m glad you came along Juliet.” smiled Hilary warmly. “Would you like to tell the group why you feel you’re a man? We really don’t get many female to male transsexual people here.”

Juliet stared for a moment. “Female to male?” she stammered, “Nooo, I want to be a girl!”
 
 
Realisation dawned in Hillary’s eyes, along with several others in the group. “You mean you’re ah, physically a boy?” Hillary continued slowly, as if trying to wrap her head around the idea.

Juliet nodded sadly. “This is like the first time I ever came out dressed as me.” She answered quietly.

“Well you sure are pretty hon, you got us all thinking you were a Genetic gal.” intoned a fairly pretty woman in her mid 30s who looked as if she had come straight from the office.

The realisation of what the group had thought made Juliet blush deeply again. “Oh, I’m sorry.” She mumbled quietly.

“Don’t be hon, you’re lucky.” Hillary smiled. “We can talk more in the smaller group work,” she said smiling at the next person in the circle to say their piece.
 
 
Later that evening, Juliet was sat in a booth with 6 others from the group having a drink. She had switched to coke after the one glass, not wanting to drink and drive. The meeting had been interesting, but not a word said about the murder…. Juliet knew the community was very tight nit… they would all know… she just had to bring it up.

“I’m sorta scared to do this.” She said sorrowfully to the group, “After hearing about that transsexual woman’s murder, I sort of don’t feel save.”

“Oh, poor Sharon Braskin? That was awful.” Agreed Stacey, one of the cross dressers at the meeting. “Between her and the others, this place aint safe no more.”

“Others?” asked Juliet, her heart skipping a beat. “There have been more? Here?”

“Uhuh.” nodded Stacey taking a swig from her beer. “Five in the last 3 months, it’s like open season on transwomen…”
“Why haven’t the police been searching for anyone? I mean… five is a lot… the guy has got to have left clues….”

“One guy? Hon, the cases were all different, it’s just people hate us… and hate turns to violence, girls get discovered and attacked a lot.” Marie added. “Beatings, stabbings, shootings, drownings, plus a few more accidents… I don’t know… it’s awful suspicious.”

“Hah, you hear about the cop that was in Rainbow yesterday? Crystal giggled. “He was Soooooo embaraced to be in there…. I swear he was terrified we’d all come onto him and infect him with trannyitis…. He was askin’ about Sharon, and who knew her, but nobody talked… asshole cops do no good…. They won’t now… they just make a show of tryin’ to help when all they are doin’ is marking us out to abuse us themselves…. All cops are fucking bigots.” She sneered.
 
 
Juliet was shocked by the attitudes towards the law enforcement community… but she didn’t exactly think it was unfounded… There was a long history of bad blood between the transgender community and police. Either way... the news shocked her. So many deaths in a short period were not coincidence, such thing didn’t exist… at least so Gibbs said… one of his rules… Juliet forgot which…. She had to get the office and work on what she had found out…. Storing the information in her mind, she went back to the topics at hand, the makeup, the fashion, the special girl world that just oozed pink like a weeping sore…

Saying her goodbyes, Juliet left the final remnants of the meeting, drinking their night away in Sally’s, and began the drive back to DC. At least 5 more murders in the area… along with several more suspicious deaths and ‘accidents’. It wasn’t hard to connect the dots…. In College, they had studied the theory of serial killers… Sure, the psychopaths, and fetish driven killers got the media, but it was the driven ones that caused the most damage. The quiet, calculating ones… Whoever was behind this, was not stupid, a phenomenon of the forensic TV shows was the changing MO…. Killers watched shows like CSI and realised their patterns gave them away… and soon. The intelligent ones started adapting… varying their methods and habits to avoid detection for longer….
 
 
Hitting speed dial on her cell, she slipped the earpiece into her ear and waited….

“Hello?”

“Hi, Ziva, it’s ah, Toby. Can you spare a moment?”

“Mm, sure,” she answered cautiously, “What’s on your mind?”

“I think I hit a breakthrough in the case… I need some help…” He replied.

“Oh? Ah, Sure… You sound like you’re driving…. Why don’t you come straight over to my apartment? We can talk… its better than over the phone…”

Juliet’s heart jumped. “Ah, Ziva, I can’t…. I’m…. I… I ought to go home and change first.”

“Why?” She asked curiously.

“I’m just coming back from the transgender bar in Norfolk… one of them… I was sort of doing some investigation…. Ah, undercover… or not I guess… Don’t tell Gibbs please…”

“Ah,” she sighed, “I understand. Don’t be silly, its only clothes, come on over anyway I’m sure you look cute.”

Blushing to her roots, Juliet agreed, and entered the proffered address into the car’s satnav.
 
 
Juliet pulled the car into a space on the street outside Ziva’s building. It was in a fairly nice part of DC, on a street lined with similar mid market apartments and cafes. Getting out, she made her way up the steps and pressed the buzzer for Ziva David’s apartment.

“Yes?” came the tinny response.

“Ah, Hi, Ziva, it’s me….”

“Me who?

“Ju, ah, Toby.” She said trying to be quiet; to avoid people overhearing her using that name… dressed as she was.

“Ooh, ok, come on up.”

Juliet climbed up to the second floor and knocked on Ziva’s door. After a moment, the Israeli opened her door. Juliet could see she had not interrupted any serious plans… judging by the bare feet, sweatpants, and university tee-shirt.

“Hel….” She began, as her eyes fell on Juliet. “Oh wow, you weren’t kidding…” she trailed off. “Come in.”
 
 
Juliet walked into the apartment; she could feel Ziva’s eyes all over her as she hung her coat on the stand. The apartment was small but cosy, the personal touches giving the place a very homely feel.

“I just can’t get over how….like a woman you look…” Ziva murmured thoughtfully. “I mean I knew you would look better than Tony but… I did not expect this….

“Ok, I feel really comfortable now.” Juliet scowled.

“I am sorry.” Ziva smiled apologetically. “I knew… but you… yeah… I mean… you do look like a woman…. A very pretty woman.” She added, raising her eyebrows in punctuation.

Juliet blushed, “Thanks I guess, still, you can’t tell anyone you know… or anything…” she pleaded. “It would kill my career.”

“Nonsense.” Ziva said shaking her head. “The United states is not so backward I think…. Especially a federal agency… But it is your life….” She shrugged, making her way into the kitchen. “Would you like a glass of wine before we get down to work?”

Juliet thought about the two she had consumed tonight… and whether she should…. Blocking the thought from her mind, she accepted; she had earned it tonight….

Sitting down in the living room, she told Ziva everything that she had learned that evening. Ziva looked thoughtful.

“You are right…..” she mused. “This is all too coincidental, we will get the records of all of these deaths tomorrow… and try and find a pattern, or something…. It has to be connected.”

Juliet sipped her second glass, “How do we explain to Gibbs how I found all this out? He’s not stupid…. And he will know how Tony got on… why would I fair any better? The newbie?”

“We tell him the truth of course… Well, a modified form….

Juliet looked at Ziva with a forlorn expression. “What’s that then? I accidentally, totally not my fault, slipped and fell into a dress and makeup that was perilously left lying around and accidentally forgot to notice?

“It was my idea.” Ziva grinned. “I convinced you to dress in some of my clothes, and go to the bar… we are the same size mostly…. So it works…. I stayed in contact with you, and we sent you in… undercover… we knew they would talk to one of their own… we had a hunch… Gibbs likes it when we take the initiative….”

As much as she hated to admit it, it might actually work…

“And tomorrow, we can use it again….”

“Yeah, ok, that might work.” Juliet mumbled to herself, “Wait… WHAT? Tomorrow? Noooooo” she pleaded desperately. “No way can I do this in front of them….”

“Sure you can.” Ziva grinned. We need to investigate this angle further…. And they will open up more to two women…. Or… at least a woman they think is one of them…”

“Tony is going to hate me.” Juliet sighed dejectedly. “And Gibbs will think I’m a fairy.”

“Well you are not, and he is not so closed minded I think.” She smiled reassuringly. “That man is more than most understand.”

“Well you are no man, so you can stop complaining…” Ziva grinned.

Juliet smiled sarcastically. “You aren’t the one this means everything to… its not some game…”

“I know Motek (Sweetie, Hebrew) she whispered softly, a caring look in her eyes. “Believe me when I say I do not want to hurt you, or see you laughed at… I do want to help you, And if anything, this may open their eyes to you as a female….plant the suggestion in their minds that this is more normal than the old you… lets be honest, he was not much of a Tony….

Juliet giggled. Ziva was right, she sucked at being a man, why bother trying? If she could weasel some time at work in as herself, I would be a dream moment she could savour… even if it didn’t last…

“Ok, I’ll do it.” She smiled, bunching up her resolve.

“That’s the spirit.” Ziva smiled. “But we will need a name for you…..”

“Well I used Juliet Stone at the meeting…. Plus Juliet is the name I think of as mine….” She answered blushing.
 
 
Ziva regarded her for a moment, “It suits you.” She smiled. “Anyway, I think it is time to call this a night, it’s an early start for us. I’d offer to drive you home… but I think neither of us is in a state to drive, yes?”

Ziva’s comment flipped a switch in Juliet’s head, she suddenly realised how much she had drunk…

“You can share with me…” Ziva offered. “My sofa… it is not the most comfortable…” she shrugged sheepishly.

“Oh thank you, but ill take the sofa.” Juliet replied, “I really don’t mind.”

Ziva cocked her head, “What do you think of Tony? Apart from when he opens his mouth? She smirked.

Juliet thought for a moment. “He’s gorgeous…. Funny, well dressed, sexy…” she sighed wistfully “Till he opens his mouth.” She giggled.

Ziva nodded, and removed her tee-shirt, standing there in bra and sweatpants. “What about this, me? Physically I mean?” she gestured at herself.

Blushing, Juliet just shrugged. “You’re pretty? You clearly work out….I dunno?” she replied.

Ziva nodded grinning. “My point exactly, you will share with me… and I will hear no more arguments. Ok?”

Juliet shrugged, conceding the point.

Flipping off the lights, Ziva lead Juliet into her room and the two washed up before getting ready for bed.

“Ah, Ziva?” Juliet called from the bathroom. “I don’t have anything to wear?”

“Just wear your bra and panties.” She called back. “It’s not like I haven’t seen any before.”

Shrugging, Juliet returned from the bathroom, her dress and tights in hand.

Ziva was brushing her hair on the bed when she entered, the boggle eye expression returned…
 
 
“What?” she asked defensively, wondering if something was amiss….

“You have breasts…. “Ziva replied flatly, her eyes never leaving Juliet’s chest.

“Sure, doesn’t every girl?” Smirked Juliet, pleased to finally have the upper hand in something.

“But you…. I thought…. Arg! I’m confused!” Ziva cried with mock sorrow.

“Hormone pills.” Juliet shrugged. “I’ve been getting them online for like, 8 months now.”

Ziva’s eyes flashed in understanding, before she broke out in giggles. “Well we had best find something that covers them tomorrow…. We do not need questions on your speedy puberty I think…”

Descending into adolescent silliness, the pair chatted for a short while before finally falling asleep.
Juliet felt happier than she had ever before in her life…


 
Author's Note: This is part one of two Everyone, I posted this now because ive been writing this for the last few days, and i got bored of not posting it! I swore id do it in one go, but i felt i had to... Part two, the concluding part will be posted either tomorrow, or monday (its already half done,), followed shortly after by Road to Haifa 23. Thanks :D and I hope you have enjoyed this. Feel free to tear it to shreds! I wrote it because im a huge fan, and love the show, and got bored of waiting for more episodes hehe.

Alyssa
 
 
To Be Continued...

up
113 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

NCIS

I too love NCIS. Mark Harmon gets better looking the older he gets. Your story seems to be true to the series but with a TG bent. I am enjoying it.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Well Played

You've done a great job of keeping the existing characters' personalities and quirks true as well as creating a new one that's just as engaging. I, too, am an NCIS fan, so to have one of my favorite shows given an added twist is a real treat. The only thing that keeps me from regretting that this will be a short series is that you'll be getting back to Sarah as she continues her journey on the road to Haifa.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

GREAT STORY!!!

kristin's picture

This is SOOO COOL!!! I love NCIS! But, only 2 chapters? :( You stayed point on with the characters (I will look at Ziva in WHOLE new way now, though) and the writting as usual, is top notch. Thanks for the Saturday gift! Kristin

kristyn nichols

I Love This Story!

jengrl's picture

I am a huge fan of NCIS and this story fits perfectly with the characters in the show. I could realistically see the writers for the show picking up on this storyline. We all know that there are quite a few members of the community that join the Armed Forces as a way of fooling themselves and the world that they are something that they aren't. We know that there are bigots out there perpetrating violence against members of our community. If someone at CBS wanted to shed light on the issue, this story would work beautifully as long as it was not told from the point of view of people like Dinnozzo.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Refreshing

Thanks, looking forward to the rest, or lots more?

Agreement with the others

I have to agree with the others. I too, love the series NCIS. Unfortunately, I have also heard that this is the last season. I hope this isn't true.

This story falls in perfectly along the lines of the show. I too think that 2 parts to this story is too short, but I am sure that you will end it properly. You can only go so far for fan fiction along this line(TG) for this series.

I also can't wait for the rest of the Haifa series. Just to let you know, I have visited Haifa and the whole area twice (Aug1979 and Dec83/Jan84) while I was in the US Navy. I thought Haifa was a beautiful city and also loved the other cities that I had visited. Also being Jewish, it was a great to go to Israel, as it is a great mitzva, according to the Rabbi's that I had when I went to the Yeshiva Acadamy for grades 1 thru 6. My mother took me out of there for a few good reasons. I couldn't read, write, speak nor understand hebrew.

Keep up the great work on your stories.
Marc

Well Done!

NCIS is one of only a handful of programs worth watching anymore on the tube. You really got the banter between the characters and Juliet's inclusion was very nice. I can't wait till she meets Abby! The show has some very good writers and this episode could fit in very well as a two parter in the series. Maybe you should submit it? :)

Hugs!

grover

Ah, NCIS, one of the best

Ah, NCIS, one of the best written and acted shows on TV. I have always wondered how much of the stories were completely made up and how much came from actual cases NCIS agents had worked on. Alyssa, this NCIS story of yours is spot on and I agree with several other comments that maybe you should present it to the NCIS producers for consideration. J-Lynn

:)

Thankyou for all the lovely comments guys, I'm not sure they want something this amateurish though, and i doubt considering past portrayals, they want transgender as a focus topic, or to get so involved when as said, its apparently the last season, and it will have already been writen. Its nice of you all to suggest though.
Alyssa

Alyssa, correct me if I am wrong ...

but does the TS support group you are referring to in this story verrrry loosely based on a certain Washington DC area support group ?

Anyway, I do like the story so far. You could almost make this into a short series I think ... along with all of your other serials *sigh*.

I am not pushing, but am thankful for what I can get though I am wagging my finger at you for that naughty cliffhanger on Haifa.

Kim

Dittos to All the Above

Alyssa,
I can't believe that you are not the lead writer for N.C.I.S. As others have said so well, this story flowed just like any other episode of that series. N.C.I.S. is one of the few shows that I watch, because most of what's on TV these days isn't worth wasting the time to watch. Please, Please, Please write another episode or two, but after Road to Haifa is completed, because I love that story too. Lol.
Avid Reader

reply

Firstly, DC support group? not a clue, i invented it to suit the plot... I've never been to the US.

I'll try to do a few more episodes, but between haifa and this, as haifa is going to be taking a while yet...a good 30k words to go yet.

As for lead writer? LOL, im just a huge fan with an analy retentive mind!

Actually...

NoraAdrienne's picture

I'm not sure there is a group in DC itself, but there are groups in Maryland and Virginia since some of the sisters I am friends with have told me about them. I love the story line and am wondering... Toby Jordon? That could be Jewish, I was expecting Juliet to respond to the use of the Hebrew expression Mohtek. I use them with my kids and friends also some Arabic ones since we are Sefaradi.

Bright Blessings

WANT MORE NCIS - Alyssa Plant

Just got to read the story, and think it's great. I was going to voice the same thought as NoraAdrienne(2 posts up). Toby Samson sounds definetly as a Jewish name and Stone is also not unusal for an American Jewish name. Great choice by the way, Samson, the Hebrew hero was a strongman like a rock or a stone. Also, Stone was the alias for Mickey Marcus a former American General who served as an advisor to the Israeli Army in 1948 (died by friendly fire because he went across lines in a white sheet and did not speak enough Hebrew).

While Motek can be a diminutive or a general sweet heart, it can also have greater connotation. Is there something brewing between Zvia and Juliet. Can not wait to see.

Perhaps this can be the first chapter in a continuing series, just like one episode of a Television (no not a TV) series. As most others write NCIS is one of the best shows currently on T.V.
Keep posting. Sorry I can only vote once.

RAMI

NCIS - A Time of Innocence, Part 1/2

Love how Ziva is helping Juliet. Gives her more depth that enhances her character.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Love it, you picked my

Love it, you picked my favorite NCIS crew also. It's about time they have a cute transwoman agent anyway.