Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 35

Printer-friendly version

“May I please go now?” I pleaded

“Young lady, you are staying in that bed until I am sure you are fine.”

“But I feel fine, now!” I stated, trying to keep my temper in check.

“Be that as it may, you are not going anywhere until we get your results back from St. Mungos.”

“Can I at least send a message to my friends to let them know I'm awake!?”

“We can't let you have any visitors until we get your results back. You don't want to get your friends sick in the event you are contagious, do you?”

I responded by clenching my jaw and narrowing my eyes at her, my hands pail white from how hard my fists were clenched. She's lucky I don't have my wand.

~HP~

“I’ve come to expect more from the two of you. Sneaking about after curfew like a couple of hooligans. I must say I am very disappointed in you both.” Professor McGonagall’s tone was harsh but her face showed more concern than anger. “Now, are either of you going to tell me what was so important that you were both out of your dorms?”

Neither girl gave an answer. Susan was as stoic as her aunt. Hermione, however, seemed more conflicted. “Very well. 10 points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, and a week of detention for both of you starting Monday. Maybe allowing the two of you to spend more time with Miss Potter will quell these late night excursions.”

“Yes ma'am.” Replied both girls nearly in unison.

“Now off to your dorms, both of you.” The two girls left Professor McGonagall's office with their heads hung low to be met by prefects from their respective houses.

As soon as the door closed the deputy headmistress plopped down in her chair and let out a deep sigh. “Albus had better have a good reason for leaving so abruptly.” She said to herself before recomposing herself to head back to the infirmary to check on one of her favorite students.

~HP~

It wasn't until lunch on Sunday that I was finally allowed to leave the infirmary after being given a clean bill of health. Lunch was almost over, but I still had enough time to get there without having to run, which is good because I was starving.

The Great Hall was practically empty. With classes resuming tomorrow most students were probably outside enjoying the last hours of our break or in a rush to finish assignments or do their readings. A momentary lament over my lost weekend was cut short by my stomach rumbling. The smell of the food soon had me mesmerized. There were too many choices, but why have to choose now? I was soon sitting alone with four full plates of food and a large slice of cherry pie sitting alone on a fifth.

“There you are! I'm glad you're okay. They wouldn't let me see you!” Susan exclaimed as she wrapped her hands around me from behind and kissed the top of my head. “Wow, that's a lot of food!” She said as she stared at the five plates in front of me.

“I’m starving!” I exclaimed around a chicken leg.

“I can see that!” She replied with a laugh. “Weren't they feeding you?”

“Uh-uh.” I responded, giving myself a moment to swallow and then take a quick drink. “Madam Pomfrey gave me a draught of living death after the first two sleeping potions didn't have their desired effect. I've pretty much been asleep since Friday night. She had to give me a pepper up potion just to wake me up.”

By this time Susan had moved around me and was now sitting on my lap. “Ooo. That explains the appetite.” She said, as she started picking grapes off one of my plates. “Speaking of Friday night, I have detention with you this week. So does Hermione. We both got caught trying to get back to our houses after you didn't show up.”

I gave her a frowny face. “I'm sorry. But it's not like I had a choice in the matter.”

“I know.” Susan said quite cheerfully. “But at least I get to spend more time with you this week.”

~HP~

“Hey sleepy head. Ready for dinner?”

“Too comfy to get up.” I said as I nuzzled my head in Susan's lap. “And for the record, I wasn't sleeping. I'm just trying to sleep. Besides, I'm not hungry.”

“Not all of us ate 5 plates of food at lunch. And didn't you get enough sleep in the infirmary?”

“It was four plates. As I recall you picked at least a full meal off my plates and ate at least half my pie.

“Want me to walk you to your dorm room so you can get in bed?”

“No… I'm getting up.” I sat up and stretched. “Let's go get you some food. And maybe some dessert for me.” I rose to my feet and then helped Susan up. “So did you and Hermione at least have a chance to test the flute?”

“No. We didn't want to try it without you.”

I gave her a peck on the cheek and whispered, “Chicken.” As I dashed off back towards the castle, leaving her in a huff for a moment before she grunted and then ran after me

~HP~

Monday's classes seemed to drag on. Maybe because it's almost all review, or maybe it's the fact that my five weeks of detention starts today. Either way, class was not stimulating enough to keep my mind from wandering. At least I'll have Susan and Hermione to keep me company this week. Was it a good thing I was unconscious pretty much all weekend? If I had never passed out Friday night I would have no doubt gone over this material already, not like I didn't go over it during Easter break, but that was two weeks ago.

My musings were interrupted by an elbow to my ribs courtesy of Tracy. “Miss Potter, care to share with the class your thoughts on the subject?” Professor Flitwick was standing in front of me. I know him well enough to know that he wasn't mad, rather he loves picking on students who aren't paying attention, especially those in the dueling club.

I had already glanced over the topics for today, but in all honesty had no idea where we were in the lesson. I caught Hermione out of my peripheral vision mouthing the word ‘intent’, and quickly formulated a response that I hoped answered the question appropriately. “The intent of the charm can influence the outcome.” I pulled out my wand and pointed at the book in front of me. “Levioso.” The book then floated about a foot off my desk. I then pointed at Tracy's book and with another “Levioso.” Had her book floating about three feet off the desk. “As you can see, the same charm just had two different outcomes.”

“Indeed. Excellent work, Miss Potter.” Flitwick replied, before casting “Finite!”, causing both books to fall back to the desk in successive thuds.

~HP~

I was sitting alone on a bench meant for looking out over the Black Lake, but I was facing the Forbidden Forest instead. “It's not like you to be daydreaming like that, especially in charms class.” Hermione said, taking a seat next to me. “Is everything alright? You still seem to be miles away.”

I gave her a weak smile. “Can you keep a secret? I asked.

“Of course!” She seemed overly excited. Not in the usual way when she's in study mode.

“I don't want Susan worrying about it. She can be a bit smothering when she knows there's a problem.” My gaze drew itself back over the Forbidden Forest.

“You have my word.” Hermione stated confidently but caring.

My gaze stayed locked on the forest. “It's just that I've had this feeling this past week. Like I have this part of me that's been buried deep down inside and it’s trying to surface but every time it does it gets locked away again. Like someone is trying to control me or use me as a pawn in some sort of ancient game.”

Hermione didn't say anything and I can't say I was surprised. Instead she just scooted next to me and rested her head on my shoulder. After a few minutes of silence she finally replied. “We'll figure things out. But right now we're about to be late for detention.” She removed her head from my shoulder and stood up and offered me her hand to help me up.

“Sorry you got detention.” I said once I was on my feet.

Hermione shrugged her shoulders. “It's okay. I'll let you make it up to me sometime.”

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm glad I remembered to post

I'm glad I remembered to post it! Hopefully I can keep up a regular posting schedule.