Diva Dismayed 29

Printer-friendly version

Diva Dismayed:Chapter 29 – A Merry Dance

Once Alice’s outfit had been finalised, I went to seek advice from Rachel. I was trying not to worry unduly over the potential damage I might have just done to my campaign. She greeted me with a hug and a cryptic “You’re late back. I assume you were off somewhere in that sexy little automobile.”

“I wish I had been! I’ve been trying to disentangle myself from my clingy friend and it isn’t working out too well.” I explained what had just been happening and how I’d managed to induce Harvey and Alice to spend an evening together.

My friend offered me sympathy but little in the way of counsel. “Well, I applaud your attempt, sweetie, but good luck with that one. Affairs of the heart are never straightforward, at least in my experience. Now! When do I get to ride in that car of yours?”

Accordingly, after we’d eaten, we made our way down to where Athena was parked.

“Oh, she’s such a dainty little thing. You’re so lucky!” My friend was full of admiration and though it was quite dark she insisted on my putting the top down and taking her for a drive. The downtown streets were almost deserted, and we spent a happy half-hour exploring what the little girl could do.
AJeRImg34b

“I’m glad you have found such a good friend in Pete” Rachel mused when we had returned to my apartment. “It was an unpromising beginning, but I’m impressed. You seem to have a knack of bringing out the best in people.”

After a moment’s thought, she added “Except me, of course.” Then she put her arms round me and whispered, “I just want your body!”

When I left for work the next day, Rachel was still sleeping. I had a lot on my mind. The momentous evening out with Alice and Harvey was looming and I had a crucial decision to make. What would I wear to the dance myself? This was an even trickier selection than usual. A ‘girl’ has standards after all, but while I couldn’t bring myself to choose something which was too frumpy, I also knew that I mustn’t upstage Alice.
Eventually I settled on a pretty frock I hadn’t worn before. It was in an ivory material with a muted pattern. As a nod to making the older girl the centre of attention, I decided to forgo adding the tiered petticoat underneath which would have otherwise made the full skirt flare fashionably to its fullest extent. Naturally, Alice’s dress was benefitting from the uplift such an underskirt provided so she ought to stand out from the crowd, literally!
AJeRImg27
Saturday came around all too quickly and as soon as I returned from work that day, the bulk of my time and energy was devoted to beautifying my companion. Despite receiving the equivalent of a complete salon makeover, she had worried herself into a highly nervous state and I needed to keep reassuring her that she was looking good. When I was satisfied that every detail of her toilette had been perfected, I quickly attended to my own. We were running late when we set off for the venue where the record hop was to take place.

The evening had been organised by a church youth group. Consequently, the advertised start and finish times were quite early, and the music was anything but loud. I guessed that the organisers were overly concerned that nothing unseemly took place under their auspices, but despite that caution, there remained plenty of fun to be had. By the time Alice and I made our entrance the hall had filled up and the event was in full swing. Fortunately, Harvey had arrived before us and had secured a corner table. He brought us each a coke and some complimentary nibbles, which I found myself devouring hungrily. I’d had nothing to eat since lunch.

There was plenty happening in the hall and so lots to see and talk merrily about. It would have been easy for Harvey and me to monopolise the conversation in our familiar way, but I took care that Alice wasn’t excluded. After a while she overcame her jitters and relaxed. I even tried to look pleased when he asked her to dance before me though it went against my nature.

The girl’s response was less than encouraging. “Oh dear. I’m hopeless. I don’t really know how.”

He was not to be denied, however. “It’s easy. The music on this one isn’t too fast. I’ll show you.”

Watching them together I could see that they made a nice couple. Idly I wondered whether he liked the way she was beginning to depend on him already. The idea represented a sacrifice for me if it was so. I had enjoyed being first with the guy. Cautiously I congratulated myself that my scheming appeared to be bearing some early fruit.

Sitting alone at the table I was not left long to my own devices. A tall guy from across the room walked over and asked me up. I complied without hesitation. It was only polite to accept. It wasn’t that I was impressed by his blond good looks at all. Well, okay, maybe just a fraction. All right, so he had that effect on me. I got to know what females meant when they declared ‘he made me feel like a real girl’. This one really did! Anyway, it was flattering that I should get asked by a stranger so soon.

After three dances I returned to my seat, just a little out of breath. I was beginning to regret my choice of dress. Its skirts had been flying up as I turned and twirled. That was okay, I didn’t mind showing a little leg, but without a petticoat to damp its rotation, the frock was flashing a good deal more than that. Also, the bodice was cut quite low, so that my heaving chest drew attention to my swollen bust. I really didn’t welcome the number of stares I seemed to be getting.

Harvey grabbed my hand and took me out to the middle of the floor. Though I hadn’t even had a chance to sit down, I was delighted. I felt much happier partnering him. He proved to have a great sense of time, which was all a girl needed to enjoy herself. The music chosen by the person spinning the discs was up-tempo, and I could really let myself go.
AJeRImg25
Towards the end of the song, however, I began to be concerned. He and I had definitely ‘clicked’ to an extent that was causing me concern and was not what I had intended. I decided that I needed to try and cool things off and when he asked me for the usual second dance, I shook my head, saying that I needed to take a break. We returned to our table.

For the reminder of the evening Harvey danced more with Alice than with me. To bring that about took a little adroit manoeuvring on my part as well as some self-restraint. The attentions of the blond youth helped me distance myself. I have to admit that I derived as much enjoyment from jiving with him as with anyone, so all in all I had a pretty good time.

At the end of the night, however, I found it necessary to be on my guard again. This was when the music for the customary slow dance number was announced, often the time when who was going home with whom was settled. Out of the tail of my eye I could see that Harvey’s gaze was fixed in my direction so, in panic, I looked over to the blond guy and when I’d caught his eye, gave him my best smile. My forwardnrss was rewarded and before I knew it, I found myself being pressed firmly against his muscular body, rotating slowly in the middle of a throng of similarly positioned couples. The lights had been dimmed but I glimpsed Harvey and Alice also locked together before my attention was fully occupied by my own situation.
AJeRImg26
That sight gave me cause for satisfaction, but this could only be indulged briefly before I needed to concentrate on repelling the advances of my dance partner. The nickname by which these slow dances were generally known certainly lived up to its reputation when dancing with the blond guy. If I moved his hand upwards from my butt once I did so twenty times. While what he was doing actually felt nice, a girl has principles to maintain! I didn’t even know the boy’s name, for heaven’s sake!

At the end of the first one of the obligatory two slow dances, I had the intention of returning to return to my seat. However, I saw that Harvey and Alice were about to do the same thing. Blondie was tagging along behind me, and it occurred to me that we might end up exchanging partners for the next song. I took alarm that the progress which my two friends’ relationship had made thus far might be undermined.

Thinking quickly, I turned to my late partner. “Let’s dance this one, as well?”

Encouraged by my apparent willingness to indulge in another bout of wrestling, this time his wandering paws became even more of a handful, which of course is what he was intent on grabbing! For my part I felt I had little choice but to put up only a token resistance, having ‘asked for it’, so to speak. It wasn’t that I wanted to give him free reign to do what he liked. Well... Actually, it probably was. When I found myself pressed hard against his groin, feelings began to be awakened in me that I would be ashamed to account for. Wild imaginings filled my brain. Fortunately, we were in a crowded dance hall, so nothing could really get out of hand. No pun intended!

My ordeal (or was it gratification?) seemed to go on for ever, but when the music eventually came to a close, I pushed the guy away with mixed feelings of reluctance and relief. He told me that they called him Dick, which seemed to fit. I didn’t give my tormentor my own name but remembered to thank him politely. I can guess what he thought of me but didn’t really care. On returning demurely to my friends it was pleasing to see the connection which was developing between them. On the spur of the moment one of those impulses occurred to me. This one seemed to be entirely without flaw.

“Harvey. Would you mind giving Alice a ride home? I have to call in at some place along the way and I don’t know how long I’ll be there.”

Alice looked rather nonplussed at my statement, but her new escort was all smiles. “Sure thing!”
AJeRImg29c
I watched with smug satisfaction as he handed her into his vehicle. This was brilliant!

The call I had to make wasn’t entirely fictitious. To salve my conscience, I stopped at an all-night gas station. I took my time while I was there and asked the attendant to check the oil and water, and clean the windshield. I gave the man a tip and then continued slowly on my way home, congratulating myself upon my resourcefulness.

In the space of a single evening each of my objectives had been achieved apparently. Harvey now had an object of romantic interest other than myself. I felt a small pang about this loss but I knew it was something I had to undergo. Similarly, Alice had a worthy recipient for her affectionate attentions, so I would be able to relax around her. Hopefully, she also might be reassured about her sexuality. Finally, when I’d left the couple, they had been provided with an ideal opportunity for their friendship to develop into something more. It had all seemed too easy.

What could possibly go wrong?

AttachmentSize
Image icon AJeRImg34b230.2 KB
Image icon AJeRImg27901.87 KB
Image icon AJeRImg25759.37 KB
Image icon AJeRImg26807.63 KB
Image icon AJeRImg29c70.24 KB
up
26 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Watch This Space

joannebarbarella's picture

What could possibly go wrong, indeed?

We'll find out next time!

Enhanced as usual by your illustrations, Erin.