Scrummy New Year

Printer-friendly version

Sam had played rugby ever since starting secondary school. They enjoyed it so much they decided to keep it up even after graduating and moving on to college. They figured it was a great way to keep in shape and also to support their local Sports Club which had come close to shutting down for a lack of finance. Thankfully grant aid was found from a charity that demanded that everything at the Club was inclusive. Nobody should be denied access to sport on the grounds of ethnicity, religion, sex, or social standing, they said. Sport should be an outlet for all in the community to enjoy together and be used as a conduit for greater understanding and community spirit.

Sam was one of the first to sign up for the Rugby squad, having become proficient in the sport and having a genuine enthusiasm for the game. Shorter than the rest of the team and fleeter of foot than most, the coach had no hesitation when choosing who would be scrum half for the team. With good hands, a quick turn of pace and good on field vision, Sam was the obvious contender.

Alex and Joe had joined the Rugby squad at the same time as Sam and together they were the three amigos, thick as thieves and fiercely loyal to each other to the extent that if any opposition tried to rough one of them up during a match, the other pair would ensure the next tackle would involve a tweak of a tender area, or a knee that would make their eyes water and remind them not to mess with the wrong people. Rugby was a game where no quarter was asked or given and you left everything you had out on the pitch. At full time, you shook hands with your opponents, and with the referee, and then retired to the bar for communal drinks.

The 2023-24 season had started well with four wins and only one defeat before the traditional pause in games around the Festive Season. It wasn’t so much a time to rest on one’s laurels but more a time to recover from niggling injuries sustained in those five matches or to rest weary limbs and prepare for the remainder of the season which would end in March.

The team had a strict code of conduct reminding players that it was their duty to themselves and to their fellow players to maintain their fitness levels, avoid excesses and be prepared for the pre-match training in the second week of January. However there was another unwritten rule. Christmas was for spending with family, New Year was for spending with the ones you love and the first weekend after New Year was when the squad partied together.

This year’s venue was a Country House Hotel 30 miles out of town – the ideal location for a wild evening of excess where nobody would know you and the proverbial hair could be let down – although as any Rugby player will tell you, hair is simply something else your opposition can pull you by or can get into your eyes when you don’t want it to and so the squad maintained a tightly trimmed cut across the board.

Alex and Joe were sharing a twin room but Sam had been fortunate enough to snag one of the single occupancy rooms so it was a case of dumping the bag, smartening up the appearance and then heading down to the bar for the first of the pre meal drinks. The banter as usual was flowing as everyone was still in the festive season spirit, and the bar area filled quickly. The event wasn’t just for the first fifteen - other members of the club squad and the ancillary staff were included so physiotherapists, trainers, office staff and even the cheer leading squad were invited. It made for a crowded and noisy room.

The mood was celebratory and everyone mingled and shared their usual line of jokes and jibes but as usually the case with sports clubs, there was a common respect and mutual admiration. They were a band of brothers shared a club crest on their shirts that was older than they were and would be worn by generations to follow them. They were the current generation of Academicals and hoped they would write their own names in the history books before they had to pass the baton.

Sam glanced around the other players jostling for a place at the bar where they could order the pints of ale that would only act as an aperitif for the evening’s excesses. There was the odd crooked nose from an on-pitch break that didn’t quite reset as it should, and some of the older players had ears that showed the damage from regular tugs and damage from scrums and rucks. It was a tough job maintaining your good looks when you played Rugby although being scrum half, Sam’s job was simply to feed the ball in and quickly distribute it again once it emerged from the back of the pack. The others could gouge and bang heads with the opposition. Unlike its trans Atlantic cousin American Football, Rugby was played without padding or protection – items such as shin guards, mouth guards and the “box” worn to protect a gentleman’s “tackle” were allowed but not compulsory. The impact of two 18 stone males running into each other was just as severe in both sports but in Rugby there was nothing to prevent elbow from hitting head or shoulder to bash into chest. It was a man’s sport, Sam thought, and smiled to think how long the American’s would survive playing in such conditions.

It was approaching 8pm when the barman rang the bell loudly to attract people’s attention. “Ladies and Gentlemen! Will you please be seated for dinner!” a Hotel staff member announced from the doorway and the 50 plus members of the party made their way into the large function suite where six large tables were set out to accommodate the group.

Sam managed to sit at a table where Alex was directly across the way and the two were able to have a quick chat while the others were engrossed in their own conversations. “You’re looking good tonight!” Alex said with a smile and Sam replied “Not so shabby yourself! Planning on making any moves later?” Alex chuckled and said “Joe and I were hoping to get together with the loose head and tight head!” Sam laughed and replied “I was thinking inside centre myself!” and they clinked glasses “I’ll drink to that!”

Before the food was served the Head Coach stood up and said “I just want to congratulate you on a hugely successful first half to the season. 2023 has been a good year for us and I hope you can continue to bring the same level of concentration and commitment to 2024. Lets make a resolution have some silverwear to show off at our end of season dinner in April, OK?”

There was a roar of approval from the room with much banging on fists on the tables and feet stomping on the floor. The coach called for a toast to 2024 and everyone got to their feet and drank from their glass just as the waiters began to bring through the starters and soon everyone was focussed on eating and refreshing their glasses from the bar.

As Sam was taking a bite of the prawn in smoked salmon starter one of the cheer leading team who was sitting at the same table looked across and smiled shyly. Sam returned the smile with a little wink, The two had talked a few times after matches but were hardly friends. Both squads trained separately and only ever saw each other on match days when the focus was squarely on the 80 minutes on the pitch. The cheerleader was blonde, around 18 or 19 and very pretty looking – not in the dumb blonde way though, more like someone who was confident who she was and what she knew. She looked as if cheerleading was just her exercise regime and she had a far more interesting life away from the pom poms and rah rah skirt. Sam hoped there would be an opportunity later to discus that with her.

Sam chose the fish option while others had a steak as their main course. Drinking white wine instead of red was another tactic adopted to try to ensure the evening was not spoiled by having to go to bed early feeling bloated and drunk. The season was not over yet – there were still some matches to be played in January and being a sportsman meant keeping your body fuelled but fit, especially where your position meant you needed speed as well as guile and flexibility.

The desert was served and while some at the table attacked the apple crumble with custard Sam enjoyed the fresh fruit salad with cream.. Coffee followed and the table began to relax further and the noise levels rose and tray-loads of beer arrived and the song singing began. Alex caught Sam’s eye and mouthed the word “Loo!” and they both headed off

“Oh man, that cheer leader is into you!” Alex said to Sam when they were in the peace and quiet of the toilets. “You think so?” Sam replied. I’ve spoken to her a little over the past few months and she seems nice, right enough” Alex nodded as she said “She has been watching you all night. Kiddo! I’d say she is smitten!” Sam laughed. “Maybe her new year resolution was to bed a player from the first fifteen!” Alex looked at Sam and said “Well? Best not disappoint the girl!” and the pair laughed as they headed back into the function suite.

Alex watched as Sam walked over to the cheerleader and whispered something in her ear and she nodded and the pair slipped out of the room and headed into the adjacent bar. Keeping an eye on them, a smile crossed Alex’s face as the pair walked out of the bar 10 minutes later hand in hand.

Up in Sam’s bedroom the pair were transferring lipstick. “Its Connie, isn’t it?” Sam said as they paused for breath and the cheerleader nodded. “You have no idea how hard it has been on the sidelines – watching you in action on the pitch and seeing how totally cool you are in the midst of all those big sweaty guys, making all those clever moves and telling passes that take the team up the park! I get so nervous watching you in action, scared you are going to get crushed by the defensive team!” Sam kissed her and whispered “That’s sweet of you, but I can take care of myself! I work out in the gym and am stronger than I look! Anyway, the secret is to avoid the hits and that where quick feet come into play!”

Connie began unbuttoning Sam’s shirt and Sam began to unzip Connie’s dress. “You know, the cheer team really make a difference to us” Sam said. “The crowd cheer us on of course but sometimes their frustration comes over and can make some of the players distracted. Your constant support and positivity really rubs off on the team and reminds use that we can always turn things around.”

Sam saw Connie’s pert little breasts and smiled. She had the body of a young pubescent girl! Years of dancing and exercise can affect breast size of course as many female sporting icons had shown over the years. It worked for runners in particular and Sam thought the last thing a cheerleader wanted were over active puppies on her chest bouncing around during a routine. As her dress fell to the floor, Sam also noticed the matching black panties and decided not to be the person to remove them just yet.

Connie pulled Sam’s shirt open and pulled it down so that the arms fell out of the sleeves. She was slightly confused by Sam wearing a sports bra. She knew that many sportsmen wore them for support during matches and events but this was a celebration dinner and it seemed unnecessary but she didn’t waste time on that. Instead she disconnected the belt on Sam’s trousers and pulled them down to the floor.

Just then, Sam lifted Connie’s face up and resumed kissing. While they did they disconnected each other’s bra. Connie pushed Sam towards the bed and they fell together onto the soft quilted cover, mouths locked together, tongues investigating each other’s while hands stroked each other admiring the smooth hairless surfaces of neck, arms, and chest.

Connie started moving her kisses down Sam’s body. The chin, the chest, the stomach were all smooched as she worked her way down and then she gently pulled back Sam’s panties. She paused for a second and smiled before leaning down and kissing Sam’s lips.

Samantha Mooney had had a few encounters during her school days which made her believe she was bi-sexual although she had felt herself more male oriented in her early relationships. That was why she had chosen to play rugby over netball. Right now though she was feeling very aroused as a tongue probed her inner sanctum and she arched her back as its tip began to toy with her clitoris. She could feel herself reaching orgasm but wanted to draw it out longer so she took hold of the face of her tormentor and kissed her passionately.

“When did you know?” she asked breathlessly and Connie smiled. “Properly? About 30 seconds ago! But there were rumours around the cheer leading squad that you would only shower with a couple of others in the rugby team and you weren’t as hairy as the other Rugby players!”

Sam giggled. “I’ve got a double ended dildo in my case if you want . . “ and Connie smiled and shook her head. “I’ve got a better idea” she said and pulled down her panty gaff and released a very aroused phallus. Sam’s eyes went wide like saucers as Connie giggled. “Yes, I can still get this little friend to attention, my hormone treatments haven’t killed him off just yet!” She slid a condom into place as Sam watched with mounting excitement. “You see, Conrad Jackson always wanted to dance so I did ballet for years until I was able to convince my parents they had a daughter and not a son!”
She giggled as she saw Sam’s face slowly breaking into a smile. “Looks like we’ve both been hiding our true selves!” They kissed. “Lets play at hiding something else, shall we?” Connie said as she gently placed herself at the Sam’s entrance and gently pushed herself in, causing Sam to gasp with pleasure and grasp at the bedclothes in ecstasy.
“Don’t you just love it when you’re part of a gender neutral sports club?” Connie asked playfully.

Sam’s answer in the positive, repeated over and over in a loud shout could be heard down the hall.

Three doors down Alexandra McCall was on her bed across the room from Josephine Jones on her’s. Both were beneath two of their team mates, both of whom were props in the front row of the scrum. They could hear the sound coming from Sam’s room and smiled. “Sounds like someone has started without us!” Alex said and Joe said in mock frustration “and I thought this was a team sport!” Their large partners looked confused at the conversation their dates were having, prompting Alex to talk to them in terms they would understand.

“OK, lads, Scrum down!! Crouch – Bind – Set – Engage!!” she called out, to the chuckles of the others in the room. Then in her best impression of famous Rugby referee Nigel Owens added “USE IT!!”

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hilarious!

Lucy Perkins's picture

This is a really fun story Suzy, especially for those of us fortunate enough to have watched Rugby Union played in the good old days, before the players got paid to "bulk up"
I'm guessing that Alex and Joe played as wing three-quarters? When I had to play at school, those if us who played in the backs were called "the girls" which, for me at least, was on the nail!
They do say that Rugby has a position for every player, irrespective of body shape, and your story confirms it.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Numbers 11 and 14

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Numbers 11 and 14 respectively .. yes indeed !! I wrote this knowing that the non-UK audience omline will not get most of it and my finale of Nigel Owens quote (a fellow member of the LGBTQ+ community of course!) but I got such a laugh from writing it I decided to "publish and be damned". Watching the 6 Nations will never be the same again!
Glad you enjoyed it !
Hugs!!

Suzi

Numbers with a meaning

"6 Nations" in Swedish: Sex nationer
Relevant in this case?

hee hee !! Well, like

SuziAuchentiber's picture

hee hee !! Well, like American Football, Rugby is a game for men playing with odd shaped balls so not sure how that translates in ANY of the Scandinavian tongues !!!
Hugs&Giggles!!

Suzi

I suspected that Sam was

Brooke Erickson's picture

I suspected that Sam was female from the first use of "they" as a pronoun. Didn't suspect Alex until the conversation in the bathroom.

It was still great fun.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Thanks Brooke! I knew a woman

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thanks Brooke! I knew a woman whose three beautiful daughters were Sam, Jo and Alex so I thought I would celebrate them !
I'd be rubbish writing Who Dunnit stories - keeping secrets for a grand reveal is hard work !!!!
Hugs!

Suzi

Rugby with mixed teams!!!

What a nice change. A sports club that doesn't discriminate by gender.
That would be a gold mine to the rainbow community.
I loved this tale. So refreshing to look a life in a new way.
They had rugby at the senior school, that I attended, but when we
joined with 4 other schools and went comprehensive. It stopped, as
they only had the use of 1 pitch. And 30 a side was to dangerous.
Soccer could be played on a cinder pitch. and we had several of
those near bye. That was in the mid nineteen fifties, in the east end of London.

Polly J

Thanks Polly - yea, we played

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thanks Polly - yea, we played hockey on a redgra pitch which was a stoney red clay surface which if you fell on it would slice your leg open and leave tiny bits of clay embedded under the skin . . it was terrible stuff !
Our school had a male enrtance and a female entrace door and gym classes were split of course. No wonder we barely spoke to a girl until we were teenagers!!

Suzi

Thanks Dorothy ! Yea, the

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thanks Dorothy ! Yea, the only transgender character is the cheerleader who plays a supporting role ! Sam, Alex and Joe were just girls in the Rugby team. Its hard to camouflage facts when writing a story without he / she pronouns !
Hugs!

Suzi

Hide The Sausage!

joannebarbarella's picture

Is that a team sport? Sure looked like it from my perspective.

Ah, Suzi, I'm so glad you found us. Don't you dare run away.

hee hee! That was a story

SuziAuchentiber's picture

hee hee! That was a story written for MY amusement as much as anything.
I'm having fun, Joanne, so while I cacn come up with different scenarios and characters, I'll keep posting my stories !
Thanks for your support!!
Hugs

Suzi

Heavens!

Robertlouis's picture

Suzi, you have a direct line into my memories. Not only did my first encounter with all things transgender - and for the record, although it involved a close and dear friend, it was non-sexual - occurred firstly at New Year, secondly in Scotland, and thirdly involved rugby.

You scare me.

And I think you might have inspired me to fictionalise the story. I won’t get it done in time for the ladies’ contest, nor do I think I could keep it under the 5k limit anyway because of the timescale involved, but I think yo may have just given me the necessary impetus.

Thank you

And enjoy Burns Night when it comes xxx

☠️

Go for it, Robert ! If only

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Go for it, Robert ! If only to entertain yourself and remind you of happy days !
Just going down the street to choose my haggis - hopefully get a fresh one, caught overnight!
Hugs!

Suzi

The court may still be out

for the best resolution story, but this one was certainly the most entertaining, up to date. It is the first which left me laughing out loud as I clicked the kudos!
Good luck!
Dave

Aw bless you Dave ! The

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Aw bless you Dave ! The story has found its target ! I wondered if it might be too niche to post but at the end of the day if it makes someone chuckle apart from myself then it was all worthwhile !!
You've made my day!
Huggs!!

Suzi

Now, See...

Marissa Lynn's picture

I know F-all about rugby and I still enjoyed it.
For one thing, sportscasters here in the States have all sorts of catchphrases that can be taken into a different context: "Send it in!" & "With a kiss!" (same guy), "It's Grand Salami time", "He...could...go...all..the...way, and so on.
And the characters seem to be unabashedly enjoying themselves, which makes it quite a little ride (so to speak).

Thanks Marissa ! Good to know

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thanks Marissa ! Good to know its still enjoyed across the pond !!
In Rugby they have a "scrum" when 8 members of each side form a pack of bodies. One team feed the ball into the middle and its down to the players to get the ball back out at their end. Then it sits at the back of that scrum for too long, the Referee calls for the team in control to make use of what is in their posession so its a common shout - "Use It!" I guess I could have written a Football version for the US with Sam a quarterback and her friends dating two linebacks !!
Guess as a writer you need to remember who your readership is and make it accessible for ALL !!! Lesson learned !!
So, no home run - but maybe I got to third base with this one. . . !!!
Hugs!

Suzi

Most entertaining, Suzi

Podracer's picture

Rugby is fine as long as it is happening to someone else though ,) I can appreciate the passion of the players and fans, and can even understand some of the play. The few times on the pitch my ultimate tactic was "be somewhere else" I admit.
I had to search for Nigel Owens - super character!

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks podracer! Yea, I was

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thanks podracer! Yea, I was poor at football and cricket. Passable at golf but that was about my lot !! Rugby was far too macho for my taste ! However, I can enjoy my sport on the TV and marvel at the talents of others while I curl up on the sofa !!
Nigel Owens YouTube videos are a hoot. He loved talking to the players and they loved him for it. Lovely bloke.
Hugs!

Suzi

If I understand correctly

Rugby is a game played with a non-spherical ball and violence on the field as opposed as in the stands.
The game is played by teams of 15 or 13 or possibly 7, 9 or 10 players per team.
The game is mostly played in former British de jure or de facto colonies like Fiji and Argentina. For some reason the French, who usually are more sensible, also play the game. (And checking up for this I found that the Italians do as well, Il sont fous ces Romains!),

Did I miss something?

And
I found that only knowing the game on a VERY superficial leve didn't stop me from appreciating the story.

As for Cricket, I love that game, I don't understand it at all but everything around it is sooo fascinating.

I once was offered a crash course in Cricket by an English supplier. In one week, full time, he'd make sure I knew the game. Meaning that after one week I, as a spectator, would have an inkling of what was going on on the field.

Just one missing part..

Lucy Perkins's picture

If you want to see the British class system in action, Rugby is the perfect medium.
In Scotland and Ireland it is largely played (and watched) by the "professional classes". I remember watching one match years ago, and a player took a nasty bang. The cry of "is there a Doctor ?" went up, and literally thirty or so spectators from a crowd of a hundred went forward, as did half of the players!
Of course, in Wales it is the National sport, and in England? Well, it is either a hooligans sport played by gentlemen (Rugby Union) or a hooligans' sport played by hooligans (Rugby League).

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Rugby

Robertlouis's picture

While historically what you say is very largely true, ironically making the game professional, as happened in the 90s, has democratised it to a large extent, with players coming more and more from across the demographic spectrum. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for this that run the game, where prejudicial attitudes continue to run riot and racist and classists still tend to hold sway at club and national level.

I played rugby to a very high level in Scotland, playing internationally at university, and training with the national squad until a career ending injury - caused by an illegal tackle by an English forward - in my early 20s. In Scotland the snobbery only existed in the old boys schools clubs in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Elsewhere it was pretty much a community thing, especially in the Borders, where teams consisted of farm workers, mechanics and shopkeepers. Loved playing against them because the hospitality was fantastic and we were all at one level - I’d been to a state school and didn’t play for an old boys club.

☠️

Well, the version of the game

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Well, the version of the game I prefer is Rugby Union and I see there are 5676 registered players in Austria, 35266 in Belgium, 69130 in Brazil, 13382 in the Czech Republic, 65381 in Georgia (the country, not the US state!), 270,000 in Japan, and if Wikipaedia is to believed 126,1510 players registered in the USA within 2.588 clubs ! 8 million people across the globe are registered as players so maybe not as niche as I branded it !!
The only figure that matters to me however is that YOU enjoyed the story, Bru, without being too au fait with the sport and that makes my heart swell!
Hugs!!

Suzi

Well...

Dee Sylvan's picture

In America, we do have our Rugby clubs and some of our schools field teams, but by and large, I couldn't tell a scrum from an 8. But that doesn't take away from a delightful story, Suzi. Connie and Sam were made for each other, and love conquers all. Thanks for a sweet story. :DD TAF

DeeDee

Thank you so much. DeeDee !

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Thank you so much. DeeDee ! We get a lot of American sports this side of the pond but I know theres not a lot of Rugby or Cricket knowledge in the US ! Yea, love will find a way and when you've found your lobster, you've found your lobster !! (thanks Phoebe!)
Hugs!

Suzi

I found this story.

Sunflowerchan's picture

I found this story delightful, your description enchanting, and your characters enganging. I found the background information helpful for understanding the story helpful too. I really like how you invite people into the story and give them just enough information to understand what your telling them. Suzi you have hidden your talent far too long and I can't wait to see what other wonderful stories you have. Weclome to the Sisterhood! Welcome to the Fellowship of Writers, welcome to the table. I love this story.

Domo arigato, SunflowerChan!

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Domo arigato, SunflowerChan!
I will be adding to me small catalogue of stories shortly with something stretching into three or perhaps four chapters so that will be the acid test to see if I can maintain an audience's interest beyond three thousand words !
Your encouraging words make me want to write !!!
Hugs!!

Suzi