Does anyone write on tablet?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

I was thinking of purchasing a somewhat inexpensive 9" tablet and keyboard (all under $100) to replace an older laptop. But I honestly don't know much about them. Is it even possible to use a tablet with a word processor? And if so, does anyone use them to write their stories? How well does it work in this capacity? I'm wondering if it's more nuisance than convenience, or if I should just save for another laptop.

Save for the laptop

I write on a number of machines — a 27" iMac, an older 15" MacBook Pro, and a 128GB iPad Air. All three devices run Pages, which is a decent word processor for a writer with a built-in cloud storage capability that allows you to share files across devices. So I write wherever I am on whatever device I have with me. But I am still most productive at a keyboard in front of a decent sized screen at some kind of desk or table.

For $250 you can buy a PC laptop from a place like MicroCenter or Best Buy. You might even be able to find one on Amazon. It's a far better alternative for writing than what sounds like the 21st century equivalent of an Etch-A-Sketch with attitude. *grin*

Randalynn

I do the same

I do the same. It's nice to sit down at a desk every so often, I just get tired of carrying my newer laptop down to the office. lol (I know, first world problems.) I'm just afraid I'll drop it one of these days, and dragging the cord/mouse with it... So I had an older laptop that crashed, and I tried to get it running again to have in the office. Unfortunately, I can't get it working again, and to replace the parts would cost as much as a new one. So I was looking at a cheaper alternative, or something lighter to carry around, and put my laptop down in the office.

~Taylor Ryan
My muse suffers from insomnia, and it keeps me up at night.

In That Case........

The newest Windows Surface Pro 3 machines are supposed to be very capable (possible PC replacements), but from the numbers I've seen they cost like a PC. I have a 7" Kindle Fire HD. It's great for reading books and ok for watching streaming movies. Web surfing and email work ok, but I primarily use my PC for those things. Amazon has focused the Kindles to sell Amazon content; although, they seem to have increased the range of programs that will run on a Kindle with the new HDX machines. I have the Amazon Basics Bluetooth keyboard that works well with my Kindle, but I haven't used it a lot. The last I heard, Google Apps won't run on Kindles or require workarounds to run.

Machines

Just got a new 27" iMac after the old one committed seppuku. I got the SSD version. Impressive 15 second boot time. Login, instant. With all the last apps opened. There is no longer and difference between sleeping it and shutting down.

Google Drive and Docs

I will write on my IPad using Google Drive (and the recently added Google Doc) apps. This works good with my Window's desktop and laptop, allowing me to jump around when pretending I am writing. And since I don't write too fast they can sync fairly good when I have the same chapter open on multiple devices.

Although, I only use the iPad when laying in bed, trying to feel tired.

I use an iPad

And it runs Pages just fine. But if I was using it for a lot of writing or did not have a desktop, I would probably have got an iMac Air.

If you are not physically comfortable it is hard to write.

If you want to try a lower end tablet you need to check the software and specifications carefully or sit in the shop for a couple of hours trying it out.

Since everyone has their quirks the only real answer is it will work for you if it works for you. "Suck it and see" is the only real and safe answer.

I use my kindle

I use my kindle fire along with a bluetooth keyboard. I also purchased an inexpensive program called Officesuite Profession so that it can read the documents I created in Word. I can move the documents between my kindle and pc without any formatting issues. I keep my kindle in my purse since it is so small so that when I have downtime at work I can write. It works very very well and I have less than 150.00 invested.

Interesting

What kind of bluetooth keyboard do you use with it? And is it also able to read/use Works documents? Or would I have to switch them back and forth to Word first?

~Taylor Ryan

Here is the link...

To the exact keyboard I have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PH59YG/ I have seen ones similar at discounts store for as little as 10.00 after I bought mine. LOL

I believe only the Kindle Fire 7 and up supports bluetooth so if you have a kindle that is over 2 years old it may not work so it would be a good idea to double check to make sure.

Here is the list from the Play store of the file types that Officesuite Pro supports. Full compatibility with Microsoft formats DOC, DOCX, DOCM, , XLS, XLSX, XLSM, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX, PPTM, PPSM and support of common formats as PDF, RTF, TXT, LOG, CSV, EML, ZIP; Open Office formats – ODT, ODS and ODP.

Hope this helps

Well of course

It's always after you buy something that it goes on sale. :P It's almost like the company says, "Omg! They bought one! We can lower the price now!"

Thank you for the link, and information. I've been considering a Kindle actually.

~Taylor Ryan

Whatever floats your boat

I have a Samsung 10.1, the version 1 model. It's great for reading stuff, and there is a MS Word-style app. But I've never paid the few bucks to get the extra features that would make writing on it easier. I love it for ease of carrying around, makes a good reader. Apps out the wazoo, you can find most anything you want available at the Google Play Store (who the he** comes up with these names?) Lots of free stuff, I have yet to have to buy anything I needed.

But I can't get used to the electronic keyboard, A big drawback in my book. But I have yet to get used to the keyboards on laptops, so draw from that what you will.

So my tablet gets used mostly for reading and checking the internet. Writing on it may be better than nothing, but I'm just too old to adapt.

I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Depends on tablet

It depends a lot on what tablet you get. A windows tablet that is x86-based works very much like a windows laptop in that regard. I have not tried a windows RT (ARM-based) to compare, so cannot really comment on that.

An iPad has worse peripheral support (keyboards etc.) but rather good programs for notetaking at least, though the problem there would be to find a program that supports proper keyboard commands, text navigation, editing features etc. and keyboard layout is important, because there is a mess of windows-*nix-mac-phone propreitary layouts available and not all are as well supported by any single program. (They are programs, not "apps". This terminology was established before the first Apple computer was even put together. End of discussion.)

For android, the situation is similar though even the best programs are not quite as polished and good as the iOS ones in my experience. I have an ASUS TransformerPad Infinity with it's keyboard dock, and I find it hard to find editing and writing programs that properly support it. Also, what programs do exist are often barescraped and have interfaces of similar quality to Microsoft Wordpad, rather than Microsoft Word... You'll find that advanced editing and personal preferences are often things you'll have to sacrifice. Though if you find Google Docs to be sufficient even in it's current reduced features state, then I think you'll find it sufficient,since that is the staple writing program on android.

Tablet

shiinaai's picture

I used to write on tablet. until my nephew installed some weird game crap on it and the OS became corrupted. I haven't bothered to send it for fixing because I know once it's fixed, he'll just install some weird unstable games that corrupt my OS again.

My suggestion, if you want great performance and reliability, get one of the Asus Transformers. They're a bit pricey, but if you want something good, don't pinch your penny.

If you want something familiar, get Microsoft Surface. It runs on Windows 8, last I checked. Might as well start the transition. With XP no longer having tech support services, it's only a matter of time before Vista stops being supported either. Vista is already pretty useless and abandoned now in favour of Windows 7.

As for word processors, if you're getting Android, just have a look at the AppStore. Type something like Office. Find the freeware with the highest stars. I don't remember, which one I used, but you can't go wrong doing that.

Don't forget, register for cloud services. It will save the day when you realize that all your files, that is in the tablet cannot be reached, because the tablet won't start. Cloud drives will save the day. I personally recommend Dropbox, it's cross platform. I also use Skydrive.

One thing to remember, though. Tablet keyboards are a lot less convenient than laptops or desktops. Until you can find you pace, tablet keyboards will feel like a hassle. You can however, get a shortcut by getting an attachable keyboard. Not all tablets have this feature. Asus Transformer and Microsoft Surface both publicised this feature though.

Hope this helps.

Nephew defence

No need to give in, if it's your equipment then it is his problem, not yours.

Get it fixed and then password it so he can't use it. If he wants to install weird games then he can get his own tablet.

Oh, and familiar? Microsoft Surface? I haven't used a computer with a Microsoft OS for 12 years. Don't automatically assume that everybody here depends on Microsoft or even Apple.

Penny

Hmmm

Can I pinch this Penny? :P

Really though... Surface and Apple are way beyond my price range. I'm looking for something cheaper.

~Taylor Ryan

Something cheaper

Aren't we all, dear?

I have a whole load of IT equipment at home so my perspective is probably different than that of most people. I'll tell you now that I recently changed from an old Nokia to a Samsung GT-S5690 smartphone, bought a Kobo Touch eReader - and subsequently bought another for £30 - and acquired a Samsung Tab 7.2 cheap in a John Lewis sale.

I still prefer a workstation for writing, though, but that's appropriate because I don't work any more through illness so I don't have to bridge home and office (and traveling). The tablet we use primarily for reference purposes, Wikipedia for crosswords, Google Maps for when we are thinking of a day out and occasionally for extra information on news items.

I've thought about getting a bluetooth keyboard but I don't think my fingers would adapt any more. I used an old-fashioned typewriter for many years before I became part of the IT world and from then on it had to be electric keyboards, not mechanical ones. I don't like the laptop-sized keyboards or the touchpads, although I'll use them in a pinch. Standard keyboard and mouse for me.

There are lots of cheap tablets about these days. Almost all will run Android, but if they won't tell you which release of Android it's sure to be one you can't upgrade: i.e. limited facilities. I have to keep slapping down the updates on my phone (Android 2.3) because they use up all the memory, and the phone is unusual enough I can't simply put Cyanogenmod on it. Maybe one day, when I finish SEE, but by then I'll probably have upgraded anyway ;)

Penny

What operating system?

At the price you are saying I think it is probably an android OS. I have a Samsung galaxy 10 inch with a Blue tooth key board. I use Ever note products and have had no problem with writing on it. I first had to get past the weak hard to use WP hard installed on the system but Ever note has filled its place very well It is free and 'has some very nice add on s that greatly tailor it to writing. It is much lighter than a laptop even a net book and a bit more spontaneous to use. If something hits me and I am on the bus, it is easy for me to use the electronic key pad to one finger type enough to keep the Idea fresh in my mind. You need a good shock pad that straps or other wise securely holds your treasure. Mine is such I can stick my hand into the cover so not to drop it. One big caution make sure the battery and charger are solid. I do not know about other brands but my Samsung has no viable way to replace the battery and it is not designed to charge and run on the fly. Its PS Charger is a problem on the older types with the older wide interface charger cable. These look like a I Pad connecter but they are not comparable to my knowledge. That cable is a bugger as well easy to get dirty with grease. The newer ones have a Minny USB connector which being generic solves a lot of problems. Still the USB standard limits the out put current to a low wattage making running on the fly while charging a real damaging problem.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Wasn't...

Angharad's picture

...Moses the first tablet user?

Angharad

Technically

God wrote on those. lol Moses just outsourced them.

~Taylor Ryan

Tablet keyboards

Page of Wands's picture

My wife picked up a case/keyboard combo for her 10" tablet, and while it's a neat idea in theory, the chiclet keyboard (i.e. tiny keys) is useless for me with my huge hands (I would wear something like a size 9 glove and can span 13 or so notes on a piano). I tried using it to write once and immediately regretted it--I wound up spending more time fighting the keyboard than writing productively. All in all, I probably could've written faster using the onscreen keyboard and my fingertip. Thankfully I was just knocking around at a coffee shop for half an hour, so it wasn't a major loss of time, but still...

As far as file transferring and word processing goes, I use Google Docs/Drive for my writing, so that, at least, was all done through the browser. Super easy for me, especially given that there are three different systems I might be working from when the muse strikes (not including the tablet).

Keyboards

Thanks for the information on keyboards. I imagine they're quite small and cramped. Especially ones the size of a 7" tablet. I'd honestly have to find one in a store and try it first. However, on the hand scale... I'll just say that I buy gloves in the women's section, and it's not for fashion. lol They're quite small.

~Taylor Ryan

I

Maddy Bell's picture

have been using everything from Palms to Blackberrys to Android phones for writing when I'm travelling for over 10 years. Whilst I've had some 'user error' incidents (losing / deleting stuff - I'm blonde okay?) the biggest problem is usually how you transfer files to another machine. With USB that's become easier, most wp programmes will save as doc/docx or rtf so other than playing with tiny keyboards whats not to like?

image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

if you have to have office

MadTech01's picture

Good news for people using andriod in the corperate world so to speak.

At a Microsfot conference the New CEO said he remove the moretorium on android developement for Android tablets and phones.
He basically decided it was counter productive to microsoft to ignore the large android market that is not going away but growing.
I dont know when it will be release on android probably in deveopment but he wants to make it where people who subscribe to office 365 can put office on android devices just like they can on a windows computer, windows tablet or windows phone, apple mac, or apple ios device.

Basically it comes to to microsoft realizing that if you wont buy divices with their OS they can still get your money by making it where you can have the most popular office suite in the world, and the cool thing is that on the non microsft devices office is fully functional and customize for each OS enviroment.

"Cortana is watching you!"

Writing

I write on a few items....my phone, my chromebook, my tablet and my Acer laptop Window 8. It can be done, but I like my chromebook.

TGSine --958

Would depend on two main things

The keyboard that you get with the tablet. Some tablet keyboards have fewer keys (not counting the numpad), even with that you could get used to using it, if that would be your main wordprocessing machine.

And the application you wish to use to write with. Some applications are only made for certain operating systems. I use Scrivener which is only available for Mac and Windows. If you truly wish to go this route for a writing platform, I would suggest using Google Docs for your word processor application. Being a web based application, it can be used on any device with the added benefit that everything your write is backed up by google in case your device gets lost, damaged or stolen.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.