So, I'm Planning a Fictional Wedding...

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

... And I'm just wondering, how appropriate is something like a string quartet to play the reception? Robin's "Aunt" Jane is up to something, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it work believably. This is the best I could come up with so far. ^_^

I've already spent 3-4 hours the last couple of days researching the ins-and-outs of cheerleading (with a LOT to go :-P), so I've been putting off tackling this scene to the point my muse wishes to box my ears lest I start working on it ;-)

Wedding music

Well, I've written then with a ceilidh band, a heavy rock band, an indy student band and a conventional disco, so why not a string quartet? The only hiccup would be with any planned dancing.

Wedding Reception Music

I attended a wedding last year at a resort hotel where there was a string quartet that played during the wedding and then continued through the cocktail reception prior to the reception dinner. When it came to the post dinner dancing they used a DJ with recorded music.

Michelle B

Ooh, now there's an idea :-D

Zoe Taylor's picture

Jane's plan only needs to lure one person into town in order to work, though her plan is actually for said person to meet another person in private, and not at all at the wedding itself. She probably would have the good sense get a DJ involved for the actual reception. ^_^

She has no idea that Person B that she wants to reunite Person A with will actually be at the wedding or she would have never tried it. The Bride's big day is more important to her than anything, but she figured since person B flat said she wouldn't be there, that she would be in the clear.

That's before Robin specifically invited person B though ;-)

It's a fun little side-plot that I haven't quite decided how to complete yet, other than that Person B's past will be revealed in greater detail as a result, since she's going to be a more important character going forward anyway.

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

So, I'm Planning a Fictional Wedding...

String quartet? and Robin's Aunt Jane? Does she know any famous musicians? Was thinking about possibility that she could know or have a way to contact some of the musicians here in the Big Closet such as those created by other authors.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Strings etc .....

The quick answer is "Yes" it is appropriate.

There is (was) a 'group' called the Penguin Café Orchestra (a.k.a. the PCO) which had a really successful 'life' in the 80's and 90's.
We once had a party at home, where we hired some strings and they played a vast selection of (mostly) the PCO's repertoire and everyone but everyone enjoyed it. A mixture of folk and ethnic, the range is stunning actually. IMHO, the best album is their "When In Rome..." not the least because I appear on it! (more in a little while about that).

A friend borrowed the idea from our party, and indeed transferred it to a wedding. This is still remembered as one of the better weddings we have all attended. The music and the musicians were there at all the major points (playing in the church as we awaited the bride - playing while the registry signing was going on - playing while photos were done - playing to 'warm up the reception' - playing a set every now and then during the reception, alternating with a pop group - and playing the next day at the departure after breakfast as we all left the hotel) and even did an impromptu encore by public demand at the reception after the bride and groom had gone!

If anyone is interested in a little sampler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ-Y10N8QyA&feature=related

Coming back to my appearance on the album - this is a recording of an evening at the Royal Albert Hall - I was in the audience, and if you listen very carefully you can just determine which pair of clapping hands is mine, and which loud whistle of approval!

May your days be bountiful

Diana

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity" -
in most, but not all, instances

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Definitely!

I'm sure it's possible.

Let me check for you...

(Yeah, I just wanted an excuse to use the site below...)

Yup! Sure!

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Funny, that ;-)

Zoe Taylor's picture

I use Google for, quite literally, everything else (Even a quick spelling check when I'm unsure), and yet that one never occurred to me :-D

I am pleased to say the first draft of chapter four is now finished, too. It was supposed to be chapter three, but it ran so long that I split it off into its own.

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Yay! ^_^

What else could I say, hmmm? ;)

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I've been to a wedding

I've been to a wedding reception with a string quartet, it was actually very pleasant. They played during the entire reception. The music wasn't so loud that you couldn't hear yourself.