How do I save an image in my files?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I would like to post a photo, but when I try to upload it from my computer, it says "invalid file name" it's just a little picture of me (not a large file, 16k). What am I doing wrong?

Cindilee

Image Files and Formats and Whatnot....

Piper's picture

What type of image is it? PNG, JPG, GIF? those are generally the best options for use on the web. If you are using windows, BMP or Bitmap is what windows likes to use... That's a REALLY bad idea to view over the web. What is the file name? does it have any ('s or ;'s or even "'s and ''s in it?

The more info you give us, the better we can try and help!

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF/PT

"Science is just magic with an explanation, and bumblebees are just tiny little fairies in disguise. :)" Submitted by Erin on Sun, 2010/04/04 - 6:37pm.

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

Also bear in mind...

...TopShelf also has a limit on the dimensions of the image (width / height) - it can't be any bigger than 400 pixels wide or 275 pixels high, or it will be rejected. That wouldn't be causing the "invalid file name" error, but it's something else to bear in mind when uploading pictures.

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Not rejected, resized

erin's picture

The software now resizes images that are too big instead of refusing them. Also, the limits depend on your account type with Members, Authors, Collaborators and Illustrators each allowed a slightly bigger image and storage space.

Since the image handling software is written in Javascript, you have to have that turned on and not be blocking scripts in your browser.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.